This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

NOW CLOSED Aldi Mamia baby toiletries range - product tester review thread

(103 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 29-Oct-12 12:38:38

This thread is for all the Mumsnet research panellists who've been trying out Aldi's Mamia range of baby toiletries with their baby. Below are some questions to get you started but please feel free to add other comments too. Everyone who adds their feedback on this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a hamper of goodies from Aldi worth £50.

Q1 What was your overall impression of the Mamia range of baby toiletries? Did you enjoy using them?
Q2 How did the Mamia products compare with other products you've tried (please include details of what brands of baby toiletries you usually use)? Did they perform as well? Do you think any of them could be improved in any way?
Q3 Thinking about each product specifically, please tell us what you liked and/or disliked about them:
- Mamia Baby Bath
- Mamia Baby Lotion
- Mamia Baby Shampoo
- Mamia Baby Oil
Q4 Do you think you'll consider buying any of the Mamia baby toiletries range in future? If so, which product(s) and why? If not, why not?
Q5 If it came up in conversation, do you think you'd recommend Mamia baby toiletries to other parents of babies? If so, why? If not, why not?

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw,
MNHQ

HappyHippyChick Sat 03-Nov-12 11:14:59

Q1 What was your overall impression of the Mamia range of baby toiletries? Did you enjoy using them?
I thought that the packaging was very similar to J&J products,which I quite like as it means that they are more easily identified on the shelves.

Q2 How did the Mamia products compare with other products you've tried (please include details of what brands of baby toiletries you usually use)? Did they perform as well? Do you think any of them could be improved in any way?

I usually use Johnsons body wash and either Boots/Asda own brand shampoo. I found that the Mamia products compared favourably with these. They did not irritate either the skin or eyes of my babies when used and worked well. I think that the addition of a bodywash to the range would be useful as that is what I usually use to clean my grubby toddler!

Q3 Thinking about each product specifically, please tell us what you liked and/or disliked about them:

- Mamia Baby Bath
I loved this. It smells like Parma Violets which I love! The bubbles didn't last very long, but this wasn't too much of a problem. It cleans nicely and leaves the babies smelling nice!

- Mamia Baby Lotion
I don't usually use lotion on my kids but I tried it myself after a shower and found it was a good moisturiser with a nice, but not too overpowering scent.

- Mamia Baby Shampoo
This shampoo was nice, it didn't irritate the kids eyes and cleaned their hair nicely, leaving it soft and clean.

- Mamia Baby Oil
Again I don't usually use oil on my kids but I tried this on my skin and found it not too greasy and with a fairly innocuous smell.

Q4 Do you think you'll consider buying any of the Mamia baby toiletries range in future? If so, which product(s) and why? If not, why not?

I would definitely use the baby bath and shampoo again and would consider using a bodywash if they introduced one to the range.

Q5 If it came up in conversation, do you think you'd recommend Mamia baby toiletries to other parents of babies? If so, why? If not, why not?

I would recommend the whole range as they seem good value for money and definitely comparable to Johnsons.

ThickCut Sat 03-Nov-12 11:18:33

Sorry, late to add my review but only received my products on Monday.
I have read the above reviews and agree with most of the points made by other reviewers.

They were packaged very similar to Johnsons, however, the products themselves were not too similar to Johnsons. If someone buys these products by looking at the packaging expecting a product equal or very similar to Johnsons they would be disappointed with the baby bath and shampoo but might be happier with the baby lotion and oil.
As for enjoying using them, they did the job, got them clean and smelling fresh and didn't cause any rashes or reactions in my baby's sensitive skin, or on my 6 y/o. I enjoyed using some of them but not others, as explained below.

We normally use Johnsons shampoo or soap (as i was told it's great for cradle cap) on my dc. Aldi mamia shampoo lathered much better than Johnsons and performed equally as well, but didn't smell as nice as Johnsons. It was like gel and didn't pour as easily as Johnsons, but not so much a problem as i was using it to rub into dc's hair anyway. If they changed the fragrance, i would consider buying in future.

We use infacare baby bath, which bubbles up with a tiny amount in running water, no swishing and has got a beautiful smell.
Aldi mamia baby bath also like gel, didn't pour too well, smelled like parma violets, needed a lot poured in to make a reasonable amount of bubbles and took a lot of swishing. I tend to run the kids baths while i'm doing something else. So infacare is great for this i pour a tiny bit in turn the taps on and leave for 5 or so minutes to run while i'm busy doing other things (getting pj's and towels ready etc) I couldn't do this with this product though, i had to stay and swish.
This product needs a lot more improvement, i.e Fragrance, consistency and performance (bubbles) before i would consider buying.

We use E45 to moisturize dc's and us. A little goes a long way, great for sensitive and dry skin, Not fragranced and absorbs great. Aldi mamia baby lotion was nicely fragranced, not too strong, a little went a very long way but didn't absorb too well. However i would consider using this product again, left my dc's skin lovely and soft with a pleasant smell too.

We don't use baby oil very often but have always got a bottle in the cupboard, always useful for transfer tattoo removal and face paint removal. Normally we use Johnsons. Aldi mamia baby oil was very comparable to Johnsons and not many noticeable differences at all. As it was halloween my son had had face paint on so i used this to remove it. It removed it great on some cotton wool with little/no rubbing and left his skin soft clean and smooth. I would definitely consider buying this product again.

With the Aldi mamia baby lotion and mamia baby oil, I would buy them if i was making up a baby hamper for someone if they were expecting a baby. As i think they are quite comparable to the other brands that i have used.

- Mamia Baby Bath Didn't like anything about this product. Smell, consistency or performance.

- Mamia Baby Lotion Liked the smell, the consistency, not too runny, a little went a long way. Performed reasonably well, left dc's skin soft smooth and smelling nice but didn't absorb too well.

- Mamia Baby Shampoo Didn't like the fragrance but liked performance, lathered very well and cleaned dc's hair.

- Mamia Baby Oil Best product out of the four tested. Smelled nice and performed well.

I don't know any of the prices of these products. That would be the biggest factor for me whether i bought some of these products or not again.

I definitely wouldn't buy the shampoo or baby bath regardless of the price.
but depending on the price would consider baby oil and baby lotion.

All for reasons already stated above.

Again dependent on price I would probably recommend the baby oil and lotion, as i would use these products again.

I wouldn't recommend the baby bath or shampoo, because of the fragrance, consistency and overall performance (of the baby bath).

sharond101 Sat 03-Nov-12 17:44:15

Q1 I was impressed with these products. They look like Johnsons products which could be misleading however they smell a little different.
Q2 i normally use Boots Sensitive skin range on my son so was a little cautious the first time I used them He showed no sensitivity to any of them though so the next use I was more generous and found similar results as with the Boots range. I am not keen on baby oil as I find it makes skin more dry a few hours after using it and this was my only dislike about these products.
Q3 Bath: bubbly and nice smell
Lotion: not greasy but didnt provide lasting moisture on my dry hands
Shampoo: Nice smell and good lather. No nips when it got in the babies eyes.
Oil: No greasy feel but felt skin was drier a few hours after use than before application.
Q4 I would buy the baby bath and shampoo especially since I shop in Aldi and so it is convenient to pick them up when I am in.
Q5 I would recommend the baby bath and shampoo and felt they performed similarly to my usual product

McGriffo Sat 03-Nov-12 19:29:23

They are designed to look almost identical to products in the Johnsons' baby range. Yes, I did enjoy using them.

I've tried lots of different products - Johnsons, Halos 'n' Horns, Asda and Boots amongst others - and don't have a favourite for regular use. I thought they performed as well as anything I'd tried before. I can't think of anything specific I'd improve.

- Mamia Baby Bath
- Mamia Baby Lotion
- Mamia Baby Shampoo
- Mamia Baby Oil

The baby bath was fine. It bubbled up as I would have expected, smelt pleasant and didn't seem to have a bad effect on DS's skin i.e. didn't dry his skin or cause any reaction. The baby lotion was fine again. It moisturised without being greasy and smelt pleasant. The baby shampoo was good. It smelt nice and lathered up well. It seemed gentle. It was more gel-like than the Johnsons product, not that that's a negative. I've never actually used baby oil a lot before so can't really it compare it very well but I tried it once on DS and it seemed fine.

Yes, probably, although Aldi's not my regular supermarket. I would probably buy the baby bath and shampoo again, possibly the lotion and probably not the oil, just because that's a product I don't really use.

Yes, they performed well. I would imagine they're cheaper than the equivalent Johnsons' products too.

JimbosJetSet Sun 04-Nov-12 07:16:07

1. They looked like a cheap copy of Johnsons, so I was initially unimpressed - I don't think Johnsons is particularly good so I assumed these products would be of an even poorer quality. I have to admit to being a sucker for well packaged, more luxuriuos toiletries (for DC and me).

2. I don't normally use baby oil or lotion so I can't really compare them to other brands I have used. But I tend to buy more premium products (which ever one is on offer in the supermarket)which tend to smell much better than the Aldi range and come in much more attractive packaging - but are a bit more expenive.

3.The bubble bath sank to the bottom of the bath but once I'd mixed it up with the water by hand the bubbles were good. The smell was not good - parma violets - so I wouldn't choose to buy this product.
The shampoo was absolutely fine - does what it says on the tin - no difference in any way to the Johnsons shampoo. But I wouldn't buy it (or Johnsons shampoo for that matter) because I prefer detangling shampoos so I don't need a conditioner as well. I don't usually use baby oil or lotion so I can't compare, but they both seem quite nice and did moisturise.

4. I wouldn't buy these products, for the reasons outlined above.

5. If someone specifically asked me to recommend a budget range, I wouldn't mind recommending these, but otherwise I probably wouldn't.

Squiglettsmummy2bx Sun 04-Nov-12 11:13:08

Q1. My overall impression of these products was very good. I did think that they looked very similar to johnsons baby products. I enjoyed using them.
Q2. Compared with other brands I have used they worked as well as johnsons & morrisons, tescos & asdas own brand products. A bedtime bubblebath would be a nice addition & the packaging could definitely be more imaginative.
Q3. Baby bath - made a nice bubbly bath with a nice smell.
Baby shampoo - lathered up nicely, rinsed well & was gentle on the eyes
Baby lotion - nice smell, easily absorbed, left skin feeling soft.
Baby oil - not a product I normally use as I find it quote greasy but was ok for bedtime when putting on pjs. Did make baby a bit slippery.
Q4. I would definitely buy the products again except for the oil as this is not something I normally use.
Q5. I would recommend these products & have already done so.

Arthurfowlersallotment Sun 04-Nov-12 11:33:27

My first impression was they were exactly like Johnsons both in scent and appearance. I did enjoy using them and I think they are good.

I don't use baby lotion on my baby. But it made an excellent cleanser for me blush I also don't use baby oil, but it seemed to be the same as the Johnsons brand.

I normally use Waitrose Baby Bottom Butter, Johnsons all in one baby wash and sunflower oil if my baby's skin is on the dry side. I don't think the baby oil would be something I would use instead of these products. I would use the Mamia shampoo instead of the Johnsons one.

- Mamia Baby Bath
- Mamia Baby Lotion
- Mamia Baby Shampoo
- Mamia Baby Oil

Baby bath- was very similar to the Johnsons baby bath (there's a theme here) but I found not quite as bubbly. That's okay, so long as it does the job and it did.

Baby Lotion- I don't use this on my DD, but it smelled nice. It is really good at removing make up though.....

Baby shampoo- excellent, nice lather and smell and managed to dislodge two days worth of baby food and general carpet detritus collected in her hair. No mean feat.

Baby oil- again, I don't use this normally, but it does seem the same as the Johnsons one. I rubbed a bit on her legs after bath time and it didn't cause any adverse effects.

I would absolutely buy the baby bath and the baby lotion (for me) if they were better value than other products, as they don't appear cheaper in how they work and smell. I've been using Johnsons baby lotion as a moisturiser on me for years, and I would buy the Mamia one again instead if it was cheaper.

I wouldn't buy the others because I don't need them.

I would recommend the range of products because I think they are identical to more expensive brands and do the same job. God I love Aldi.

Elkieb Sun 04-Nov-12 15:41:24

Thank you for letting us test these products. In answer to the questions:

1) We had a good overall impression of the products. Good sized bottles that are clearly colour coded and with nice packaging. They tie in well with other Aldi products in the mamia range.
2) they compared well to other ranges. We have used boots, johnsons and morrisons products. They are comparable to the boots and morrisons range in terms of quality and the price point. I personally think johnsons is over perfumed and over priced!
3) Baby bath- smelt nice and 'clean', and didn't irritate the skin. However, we had to put loads in to make many bubbles at all so the bottle wouldn't last very long
Baby lotion- we didn't use this on our little boy as his skin doesn't require moisturisation. However, me and my DH tried it on our skin and it absorbed quickly and easily, it smelt nice and was a nice, pale colour.
baby oil- again, we didn't test this on our DS due to a massive allergic reaction to johnsons previously. However, we tried it and although it smelt quite 'chemically' it absorbed quickly and easily.
baby shampoo- our favourite product. This smelt lovely and clean. It lathered brilliantly and didn't sting his eyes at all.
4) we would buy the shampoo again, and the bubble bath. It is all competitively priced. We shop at ALDI for food so will be putting this into our trolley in the future
5) We will recommend these products to our friends and family in the future.

Q1 First impression was how similar the packaging looked to johnsons. Was very nice to try out a different product and was very happy with the quality, smell and amount required for usage.

Q2 I found them more than comparable with johnsons and better than tesco and boots. I also thought they smelt better than the other brands too which was a pleasant surprise

Q3
- Mamia Baby Bath - good bubbles, not greasy, bubbles lasted well
- Mamia Baby Lotion - nice feel, moisturises ok. I'm not a massive fan of baby lotion in general though.
- Mamia Baby Shampoo - gorgeous smell, left hair looking nice, no residue
- Mamia Baby Oil - a little goes a long way, good smell

Q4 Yes definitely.

Q5 Yes, definitely again. Johnsons quality at cheap prices. Definitely worth it!

axlbaby Sun 04-Nov-12 19:53:08

Q1
I thought the products were fine overall, didn't excite me hugely but certainly something I would consider buying again and was very happy to use.
Didn't really like the way the packaging was such an obvious rip off of Johnsons - think would be better to try for its own identity perhaps though I accept that is the Aldi way of doing things generally!

Q2
The products performed just as well as those I normally use on the whole. One thing I did find was that they were quite tough bottles to squeeze to get the product out which can be a bit irritating with wet hands.
I normally use Johnsons or the new PZ Cussons range of which the name escapes me at the moment - Baby & Me I think?
I didn't use the lotion or oil on my kids as I don't think they need but have used myself and would happily use (and will be!).

Q3
- Mamia Baby Bath - loved the smell of this, did find that had to put a bit of stirring in to get the bubbles but it did produce plenty.
- Mamia Baby Lotion - found this nice and light on my skin and not too perfumed
- Mamia Baby Shampoo - didn't like the smell as much as Johnsons and probably less likely to buy as do love that smell when they are all clean and you are cuddling them!
- Mamia Baby Oil - no real opinions as not something I use regularly but seemed fine.

Q4
Yes - would definitely get the bath, possibly the shampoo but probably wouldn't bother with the lotion or oil - only because I don't really use. As with all Aldi stuff would be very much driven by if needed when happened to be near Aldi.

Q5
Yes would recommend and say good value and worth a try.

Sokmonsta Mon 05-Nov-12 09:05:48

Overall I thought the products compared reasonably well to other brands. The similarities in packaging to other brands meant I knew what I was picking up without looking. Whilst some have commented these are similar to johnsons in particular, going through all the products we have in the house, aldi are not the only company to use this approach.

The most disappointing product was the bubble bath. Initially it foamed up well but within minutes the bubbles had dissipated. None of the other brands we use - Tesco, boots, super drug, mothercare have performed this poorly. The bubbles weren't really around long enough for the children to play with which disappointed them. The lotion, oil and shampoo all compared favourably with no performance concerns. I'd say they do have quite a strong smell, bearing in mind I have a very poor sense of smell and could smell the aldi products. But others did not find this overpowering and it was a nice smell to us. I particularly liked snuggling up to the children after their baths because of the clean smell.

- Mamia Baby Bath - the bubbles simply didn't last long at all which was disappointing for our 2 and 4yo. The babies were not overly bothered. The solution did not leave a residue and importantly, did not set off my eczema or dry out the children's skin.
- Mamia Baby Lotion - great for cleaning bums after dirty nappies. We're not really ones to use this type of product as a moisturiser but an extra cleaning agent for dirty nappies. We had no instances of nappy rash.
- Mamia Baby Shampoo - this foamed up nicely and washed out well. It was good on all the children's hair and smelt nice.
- Mamia Baby Oil - this soaked in well, as long as it was used sparingly. The only problem we had with this was the elder two emptying the bottle into the bath water! However, they came out lovely and soft and the oil still soaked in their skin well.

I would not consider buying the bubble bath as I didn't think it performed well. But other products would be purchased if we were in aldi. It is a store we regularly drive past but perhaps don't use as much as we could.

I would recommend the products if asked about them, apart from the bubble bath as I think it should foam for longer. I certainly appreciated that they did not set of my eczema, wheras other big brands do and would recommend them based on my experience.

noo1985 Mon 05-Nov-12 09:38:32

I enjoyed using this range, I felt it was a good baby toiletries range and compared well to other leading brands on the market at the moment.

I normally use eithert Johnsons or Tesco baby toiletries. I found the range was incredibly similar to ohnsons and my first thought when opening the packaging was how much like Johnsons they had been made. I assume this is the point so you may either mistake the Mamia range for Johnsons or feel like you have an equivalent brand. My daughter has sensitive skin and I had no problems with using this range and her skin which is always a bonus as I am wary at using new products. I also have a newborn baby who I used the products on at 11 days old and found that they were lovely on him to. I found that the smell was really nice on the products but that the Baby Bath did require a lot in the bath to create lots of bubbles and the shampoo was very jelly like when squeezing out from the bottle unlike other brands.

- Mamia Baby Bath: Nice smell just required quite a lot in the bath to create lots of bubbles but overall a good product.
- Mamia Baby Lotion: Again had a lovely smell and spread nicely over the skin without having to use too much.
- Mamia Baby Shampoo: Even after quite a long time after the bath you could still smell the shampoo in my little boys hair which is something I like. Unfortunately the product was very jelly like which was strange.
- Mamia Baby Oil: Smelled really nice and left the skin feeling lovely and soft afterwards.

Yes I would consider buying from the range. I do tend to buy the combined wash and shampoo from either Johnsons or Tesco so they could consider bringing out tis product to but if I was looking to buy individual shampoo and baby bath I would buy. I dont tent to use the lotion and oil very often, but I would buy again if I needed to.

I would recommend I believe the are a good equivalent to the more expensivew brands so if you are on a tighter budget then I beleive they are just as good.

JParkson Mon 05-Nov-12 10:42:27

I used these products on me, and on my 2 DDs (age 2 and 12 weeks)

As others have mentioned, these products do rather look like Johnsons products! They smell very different though - I love the bubble bath, as it smells of parma violet sweets... my favourite! I really hate the smell of the shampoo though. I was pleasantly surprised by the lotion, and thought the oil was ok, but not something I would go out of my way to use.

Both the bubble bath and the shampoo are very thick, and a bit hard to squeeze out - water them down a bit, or make the holes a tad bigger please smile

I love the smell of the bubble bath, but as mentioned before, the shampoo wasn't so pleasing.

The bubble bath foams up really well, and the bubbles seem to last as long as the other baby one I have.

The shampoo was gentle enough on both my DDs' hair, lathered well enough (very hard water here, so this was a 'phew' point!), and didn't irritate their eyes though, so happy with it on those points.

The oil and the lotion, well, we're not big oil and lotion users.

I tried the oil on both DDs, and was happy enough with the softness of their skin, but I felt it took ages to soak in and stop feeling greasy. I don't know how this compares to other oils though, as I don't use them as a rule.

The lotion was lovely though! I thought that too would take ages to sink in, but I was pleasantly surprised! It smells a little chemical-y, but not sickeningly so. It reminds me of calamine lotion when it first goes on, and now, half hour later, I'm thinking parma violets again! smile I found a little goes a long way, so my first squirt (enough to cover a 10p piece!) was plenty for my hands and DD1's hands. She loved it, plenty of 'Oohs' so I think it's safe to say I shall make more of an effort to use lotion on her skin smile

- Mamia Baby Bath Loved the smell! A bit of a thick consistancy, but otherwise very nice!
- Mamia Baby Lotion quick to absorb, could have a milder smell over all
- Mamia Baby Shampoo gentle on both DDs' hair, displeasing smell
- Mamia Baby Oil took ages to absorb, felt a bit too greasy. Smelled ok though.

I will definitely buy the bubble bath, and probably the lotion - depends on how long it takes me to get through the current bottle! lol! But unless the smell improves, I won't go out of my way to buy the shampoo. I definitely won't buy the oil, as I really don't enjoy using oils on my or my children's skin.

If it came up, I definitely would recommend them, as they are such good value for money. Although I personally don't enjoy the smell of all the products, I wouldn't use this as an excuse not to recommend them (does that make sense? confused )

Thank you very much for letting us take part - DD1 and I really enjoyed it!

JParkson Mon 05-Nov-12 10:45:46

Just realised I didn't include the brands I usually use - I normally use Johnsons bubble bath and shampoo, or Morrisons. I don't use lotions and oils as a rule, so can't give a brand for these categories.

I used them on DD1 4, DD2 3 and DS1 1.

Very Johnsons looking, good sized bottles and good selection i.e. didn't lump together bath and body or hair into one bottle.

I found the shampoo was very gluppy which I didn't like other wise very pleased with the range

2 How did the Mamia products compare with other products you've tried (please include details of what brands of baby toiletries you usually use)? Did they perform as well? Do you think any of them could be improved in any way?

I tend to use Burts bees on my DC, these cleanned as good as BB but the lovely smell didn't stay around after the bath. BB smell stays all day long. I found the oil moisturized as well as BB but again the smell was gone. The lotion was equal to BB.

- Mamia Baby Bath - Good, lots of small bubbles, nice smell
- Mamia Baby Lotion - again good smell, moisturized well and easy to use.
- Mamia Baby Shampoo- gluppy consistancy put me off but otherwise left the hair soft and clean.
- Mamia Baby Oil - mosturised well, didn't feel overly greasy.

I would but all but the shampoo again, the gluppyness put me off. Good value and large bottles as well as good product are the reasons for buying again.

Yes I would very closely comparable to BB, which I love, but cheaper and bigger bottles.

TheFutureMrsDanCarter Mon 05-Nov-12 14:41:57

- Overall impression was good, but agree packaging lacked originality and was quite dull. Enjoyed using them overall.

- Compared favourably with Johnsons and performed as well, I think, although I do agree with previous posts that the perfume was a tad chemical. I prefer the Johnsons range there.

- Mamia Baby Bath
Was okay, quite jelly like, but that wasn't a huge problem. Ds liked it so much he emptied the whole bottle into his bath, so we only really got two tries...
- Mamia Baby Lotion
Liked a lot and has reminded me about Baby Lotion. I don't tend to use it on the dcs and dd may have had a reaction to it - she has v. sensitive skin, but it was good for the ds and me.
- Mamia Baby Shampoo
Liked it, but one of the products that I didn't much like the smell of.
- Mamia Baby Oil
Not a product I use, but was fine in relation to other baby oils I have tried in the past.

- Would definately use again, but probably only the Baby Bath and Lotion. As said above, I wasn't too keen on the shampoo's perfume, although it was fine as a shampoo, and I don't really use oil.

- Yep. Would say to give it a go, but would caution about sensitive skin and possible reaction.

Had seen them already in Aldi, so was unsuprised by the packaging (as others have previously stated Aldi favour closely resembling the market leader in whatever product they sell). Was pleasantly suprised by the quality of the products.

DS is 10 months, we are still working our way through the products we received as gifts, so haven't been using any one brand. Currently we are using Johnsons baby bath and Boots sensitive shampoo on DS. I've been using the baby lotion as moisturiser and the baby oil on my legs after shaving!

Prviously we have had a baby bath (Asda I think) that was lavender scented which has been my absolute favourite, but I don't shop regularly at Asda, so would happily buy the Mamia baby bath.

- Mamia Baby Bath
Quite liked the fragrance. Lots of bubbles.

- Mamia Baby Lotion
Familiar scent. Good consistency (used on myself rather than DS)

- Mamia Baby Shampoo
Nice fragrance. Good lather. Didn't appear to bother DS when rinsing.

- Mamia Baby Oil
Nice fragrance. Left my skin soft and silky.

Will definately be purchasing the baby bath and shampoo. We don't really use the other products on DS currently, and am using them myself merely to use them up IYSWIM.

Yes I certainly would. The cost of baby products generally is ridiculous, and these products are all great.

MissRee Tue 06-Nov-12 15:22:00

*The packaging was simple yet effective - agree with those who say it seems like Aldi are trying too hard to look like Johnsons when, really, they should be compared to other own-brand supermarket products.

I did enjoy using them but I will say that when my package arrived, one of the products was leaking! I couldn't work out which one as they were all sealed. If this had happened when I had bought them in-store and it had gone all over my shopping, I wouldn't have bought them again. Maybe some more sturdy lids need introducing to the products*

*I bought some Boots own brand toiletries last week as I was waiting for my Aldi samples and had run out of my usual brand (Johnsons). I think that the Aldi products compare well to the Boots. The bubbles lasted slightly longer with the Boots baby bath but the Aldi shampoo smelt much nicer.

I think the packaging needs leak-proofing a bit more, as said above.*

Mamia Baby Bath - Very nice, smelt good but the bubbles disappeared rather rapidly.

Mamia Baby Lotion - Soaked into DD's skin well, smelt nice but felt a little greasy.

- Mamia Baby Shampoo - Lovely smell, lathered well and left her hair soft and shiny

- Mamia Baby Oil - I don't use baby oil on DD as I find it leaves her feeling greasy and sticky"

If I bought the product in store and didn't have leakage issues then yes, I'd definitely buy them again

Yes, they compare well to other supermarket brands.

OneTwoOrThree Tue 06-Nov-12 16:02:06

Thanks for the opportunity to try these. The bundle of products was huge and looks like it will last ages <love a freebie!>

So, my feedback and thoughts...

They are 'ok', but not great. I didn't particularly enjoy using them, but also wouldn't rule them out. The smell was a bit chemically for my liking, and I found the packaging bland. If I were on a really tight budget, I'd use them but otherwise will stick to my more expensive, but nicer Johnsons products.

As above, I usually use Johnsons. The ALDI products seemed 'cheap' in comparison. Taking aside the packaging etc, the actual products didn't smell wonderful, and the texture / consistency wasn't as nice as Johnsons products.

- Mamia Baby Bath
I found it a bit gloopy, didn't pour well from the bottle. It bubbled, but not as well as a premium product. DD said it smelt funny.

- Mamia Baby Lotion
Not a fan of the scent, but it rubbed in nicely. I don't usually use lotion, so DD thought it was a treat <grin>

- Mamia Baby Shampoo
My DD has a dry flaky scalp (like cradle cap, but she's nearly 4!). I only used this once as am keen to keep going with her current treatment regime (of my own creation!). Shampoo lathered well, no tears on rinsing, but again it felt gloopy and I didn't like the scent much.

- Mamia Baby Oil
Again, not a product I usually use. Seemed ok to me though.

No, I won't (unless I'm really penny pinching!). I didn't particuarly like the products particularly the scent. Although I'm trying to make cut backs (budget wise), these products aren't good enough for snobby me.

No, as per comment above.

Sorry ALDI! I wanted to like these (particularly as I have huge quantities of these for the trial), but I just don't like them.

cherrylolly Tue 06-Nov-12 19:48:03

I and my son have enjoyed trying the Mamia baby range products, they do as they say on the label, the price is great value for the size of bottle.
The Aldi range are as good as most supermarkets own brands and would say most are similar to the Johnsons range.
Bath - I liked the smell it reminded me of Parma violet sweets, not much of a lather but live in hard water area
Baby lotion - absorbs well, smells nice and goes a long way for the money
Shampoo- great, smells nice, washes out easily, no tears, leaves hair soft
Baby oil - bit greasy, need a really small amount, nice smell
Yes would probably buy them again, and would recommend Aldi products to friends as a cheaper range of baby product to use.
I would not buy the products for a hamper as I would buy a higher end product as a gift.
I have enjoyed trying these products and wouldn't hesitate to try more if they expanded the range

diedandgonetodevon Tue 06-Nov-12 20:21:21

- They appear to be packaged in a way that makes them appear identical to Johnsons. This seems unnecessary as they are a good product in their own right.

- They have obviously been formulated to emmulate the smell of Johnsons products.
- Perform as well as any other baby products we have tried. To be honest they are all much of a muchness which is where the price point comes into play.

- Mamia Baby Bath: Good amount of bubbles and fairly long lasting
- Mamia Baby Lotion: Quickly absorbed, not to greasy
- Mamia Baby Shampoo: Good lather, very little needed per application
- Mamia Baby Oil: Not used

- Yes if I was passing an Aldi.
- Would buy the baby bath and shampoo but not the lotion or oil as we do not usually use either.

- Yes if it came up in conversation but it is not the sort of discussions I usually have with anybody.

kez1212 Tue 06-Nov-12 20:41:30

I really enjoyed using these products. I have been impressed with the quality of them although I agree with others that the packaging does lack originality. Be proud of your products Aldi!

We generally use Johnsons shampoo and bubble bath. I preferred the Mamia shampoo and really liked the Bath aswell although a bit gloopy. We dont often use lotion or oil but i was impressed with the products.

- Mamia Baby Bath - I found this quite gloopy but this did mean that I used less so maybe a good thing! I really liked the smell though. It didnt really bubble much but we live in a hard water area.
- Mamia Baby Lotion - We dont generally use this but we gave it a go, rubbed in well and I found the scent ok. I used it several times on myself and was very happy with it.
- Mamia Baby Shampoo - Great, much prefer this to Johnsons, rubbed in well, didnt lather too much and the DS's both liked it.
- Mamia Baby Oil - Not a product we generally use again but we tried it. A little goes a long long way! Rubbed in well and was fine. Was great on my legs after shaving!

Yes, I will happily purchase the Baby Bath and Shampoo. The lotion and oil aren't generally products we use. I would like to try some other products too so will look out for some body wash.

I will recommend the products to other parents as I was very impressed with them. I am still raving about the Mamia nappies to everyone too.

Thank you! grin

Pomtastic Wed 07-Nov-12 11:28:03

Q1 They look bizarrely like Johnson & Johnson products! Even down to using a teardrop design on the front (only difference seemed to be that Aldi used a double teardrop, compared to J&J's triple teardrop). We thought they were ok overall, but had some niggles about each specific product (detailed in Q3).

Q2 We normally use Johnson & Johnson (J&J) baby bedtime bath & shampoo. The Mamia range compared positively to J&J overall, specifically:
- Not overly perfumed. J&J's scent would stay on my baby for hours & I deeply disliked this. She doesn't need perfuming! I love her smell. Mamia products didn't do this, with the exception of the baby lotion.
- Doesn't contain parabens. This is a big bugbear of mine with J&J.
- Doesn't give my baby eczema. A recent development with J&J products!
- Performed just as well at bathtime. The babe was clean. There were bubbles. Job done.

Q3
- Mamia Baby Bath I'm still undecided about the scent. Either it's a lovely, old-fashioned, nostalgic violet smell, or it's a slightly chemical smell that reminds me of those purple violet sweets (which taste like they shouldn't be edible). If I was a bit less "hippy" & fussed about chemicals, I think I would love it. It foams up nicely too.
- Mamia Baby Lotion Disliked this. It did technically moisturise fine, but the smell was too strong & lasted too long.
- Mamia Baby Shampoo The consistency of this was oddly gloopy, but this meant it didn't wash into her eyes as easily as less viscous shampoos. Otherwise fine.
- Mamia Baby Oil Disliked this. I think I'm still trying to wash it off my hands. As with the lotion, it technically does the job, but I found it too 'oily'.

Q4 I may buy the baby bath & shampoo, as the positives outweighed my niggles. I won't buy the lotion & oil, for the reasons I listed above.

Q5 I might recommend the baby bath & shampoo, but definitely not the lotion & oil. Which is a bit of a shame, as I normally love Aldi products & sing their money-saving praises.

Pomtastic Wed 07-Nov-12 11:32:08

(a quick addendum as I was reading the other reviews after posting)

Another poster had issues with the bottles leaking. I thought this was just one of those random things, but my baby oil bottle had leaked EVERYWHERE when I opened my sample packaging. I had to put the parcel in the bath as it was so bad.

Thanks!

Jen119 Wed 07-Nov-12 19:32:54

1. My first impression was how similar to Johnson's products they looked. Nice big bottles that would last a long time. They were good for everyday use.

2. I have previously used Johnson's and Burts Bees products. I don't think the bubble bath performed as well as these other ranges and did not smell as nice.

3. Baby bath - had to swirl the product around to create bubbles rather than just squirting in under running water like I usually do. Baby lotion - smelt nice and easily absorbed. I enjoyed using it. Baby shampoo - needed to rub quite hard to lather up so was easier to rub into my hands then apply to her head. Baby oil - haven't used an oil until now so was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to use and absorbed well.
4. I would probably buy the lotion and the shampoo again. I would spend more on a better bubble bath.
5. I would recommend as a very close alternative to Johnson's that basically does the same job.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now