This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

NOW CLOSED: Ambrosia New Rice Pots feedback thread

(117 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 08-Oct-12 13:39:36

This thread is for the 100 MNers who are currently testing the new range of rice pots from Ambrosia with their family.

The MNers were sent a selection of new Ambrosia Rice Pots, including Ambrosia Light Rice, Rice + Jam and Sharing Pots, as well as delicious Chocolate, Apple and Devon Custard flavours.

So once you've had a try, please let us know your responses to the following questions:

Overall, did you enjoy the Ambrosia rice pot range?
Would you buy any of the pots again? If so, which ones?
Do you think you would recommend the range to your friends and family (if it came up in conversation)?
Did you enjoy the taste of the rice pots? Did your children enjoy the taste of the rice pots?
Did you or your family / children have a particular favourite flavour? Which was the most popular? Which was least popular?
Which size pot did you prefer?
When would you / your family be most likely to eat the rice pots?
Would you include a rice pot in your child’s lunchbox or on a picnic?
Would you say that the range is good value for money? (recommended prices are: 500g Sharing Pot, £1.39, 190g Rice Pots in Devon Custard, 65p, 120g Rice Pots in Apple and Chocolate, 45p, 115g Light Rice, 49p, 145g Rice + in Strawberry Jam and Raspberry Jam, 69p)
Have you bought or do you think you will buy any products from the range following the test?

Any other comments welcome - everyone who was a tester and who adds their feedback will be entered into a prize draw where one tester will get £100 of Amazon vouchers as a thank you

Thanks and good luck
MNHQ

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 31-Oct-12 12:19:29

Thanks for all the comments and feedback - seem to have gone down well! vixo has been selected at random as the winner of the £100 Amazon voucher - well done.

Everyone really enjoyed these, especially the children
Do you think you would recommend the range to your friends and family (if it came up in conversation)?
The little pots were perfect for after school snacks
Did you enjoy the taste of the rice pots? Did your children enjoy the taste of the rice pots?
Yes very creamy
Did you or your family / children have a particular favourite flavour? Which was the most popular? Which was least popular?
The regular flavor was the fav
The small ones for during the week and the big one at weekends!
Anytime! After school, for pudding, whilst watching tv
Would you say that the range is good value for money? (recommended prices are: 500g Sharing Pot, £1.39, 190g Rice Pots in Devon Custard, 65p, 120g Rice Pots in Apple and Chocolate, 45p, 115g Light Rice, 49p, 145g Rice + in Strawberry Jam and Raspberry Jam, 69p)
Have you bought or do you think you will buy any products from the range following the test?
The price is fine, will defo buy in the future

xxxkadzxxx Sat 27-Oct-12 18:01:38

We loved the Ambrosia rice pot range. The whole family tried some of each pot and all of us really enjoyed them all. We will definitely but the apple and chocolate if they were to become available in larger pots and the others if they are on promo or reduced. I would most definitely recommend the range to everyone of all ages. We all really enjoyed the taste of every pot. I think the whole family preferred the apple flavour as it was so new and different. The others were all on the same level and we enjoyed them all the same therefore we dont have a least favourite. The largest pot was best for us as a family and would work out cheaper as well. We ate them for desert as a family, then my partner and i would have some in the evening a couple of nights a week if there was any left over. Im not sure if i would include a pot in a lunch box or picnic as i prefer to pack up solids due to the mess! I think the sharing pot is quite reasonable at £1.39 although i would be most likely to buy it at £1 but the i think all the others are too expensive for our family. We would purchase them as an occasional treat and wouldn't be able to have them regularly. As stated before, if the products are on promotion or reduced we would definitely purchase them.

liveinazoo Sat 27-Oct-12 12:26:43

overall we liked tehm
the jam split pot was a favourite
i wasnt keen ont eh apple,kids were undecided<but didnt finish it>,all hated teh chocolate one and my<soon to be 5>dd3 described it as vile!
120g rice pot is teh size for us adn i would definately put in lunch boxes, and
stash some for snacks as they have good shelf life
i wuoldnt buy the share pot as we often find promotions for the tins and is therefore cheaper for us
my ds complained it doesnt come in banana flavour when he spotted it in the supermarket<,any chance ambrosia?>
he has weak muscle tone and rice pudding is a managable texture for him and a he loves it so its a good way to get calories into him
not sure why there a low fat range when "full fat" isnt particularly fattening
thank you very much for including us in the test

Onetoeinthewater Fri 26-Oct-12 15:11:47

Overall, did you enjoy the Ambrosia rice pot range? Yes
Would you buy any of the pots again? If so, which ones? Plain/original
Do you think you would recommend the range to your friends and family (if it came up in conversation)? Maybe
Did you enjoy the taste of the rice pots? Yes
Did your children enjoy the taste of the rice pots? Yes
Did you or your family / children have a particular favourite flavour? Which was the most popular? Which was least popular? Kids looked forward to chocolate one but enjoyed apple and strawberry jam ones more
Which size pot did you prefer? 190gr
When would you / your family be most likely to eat the rice pots? After supper for dessert, or in lunch boxes.
Would you include a rice pot in your child’s lunchbox or on a picnic? Yes
Would you say that the range is good value for money? (recommended prices are: 500g Sharing Pot, £1.39, 190g Rice Pots in Devon Custard, 65p, 120g Rice Pots in Apple and Chocolate, 45p, 115g Light Rice, 49p, 145g Rice + in Strawberry Jam and Raspberry Jam, 69p)Yes
Have you bought or do you think you will buy any products from the range following the test? no, i might buy the sharing pot or the apple one for lunch boxes.
Thank you for letting us try them!

MiniZilla Fri 26-Oct-12 12:59:52

My family very much enjoyed this test, thanks for including us!

Overall we did enjoy the rice pots, though DH wasnt so keen on the flavoured ones.

The jam one is handy for a lunchbox and I liked the convenience of being able to put the big sharing pot in the microwave. The chocolate one was a big hit with DS and I so probably that kind too.

I would recommend that others buy them if they're on offer as we enjoyed them but I do think they're priced a little high.

We liked all the rice pots apart from the Light Rice, no-one in our house liked that one. DH was not keen on the apple flavour. I did heat the pots we tried in the microwave which may have improved them, I'm not sure if we'd have enjoyed them so much cold. DH's favourite was the sharing pot, DS and I really liked the chocolate rice.

No overall preference, the small pots are good for lunchboxes and snacks and the large pot was great for a quick family dessert.

Small ones at lunch time, large ones after evening meal

Yes, they're very convenient for those situations.

I do think they are a little overpriced. For all I liked the convenience of being able to put the sharing pot straight in the microwave I think I'd rather buy a tin of rice at a lower price, save the money and wash up a pan!

I haven't bought any as yet but if I were to find them on offer in the supermarket I would probably buy some (apart from the Light Rice)

MrsGeologist Fri 26-Oct-12 10:03:19

Yes, they were tasty and a good size.

I think I'd buy the apple one again, or the jam one.

I think I would.
Yes, I did and my three year old declared the chocolate one "just right." he's been reading Goldilocks)

The children preferred the chocolate one, and I preferred the apple. Least favourite was the light one.

I liked the light sized pot best, I thought it would be good for packed lunches.

On days out probably, or thr boys might have them for pudding after dinner.

Yes.

Yes, I think so.

I've not bought any et, but i probably will.

NicksWife Thu 25-Oct-12 20:35:19

Yes, DDs enjoyed them and I loved the jam pot.

Yes, the sharing pot was handy to have in the fridge and jam one was lovely.

Yes I would. Handy for lunch boxes and just as nice cold as warm.

We did enjoy them.

Chocolate was popular with my DDs and DH liked the apple. I thought the light pot was too runny for me but I guess that's why it's lighter. I found the apple too sweet. Loved some of the shring pot with brown sugar on top!

The 120g were the best portion size for us, although the jam pot was a good size too.

I took a couple to work in my packed lunch and DDs had them as desserts in the evening.

Yes. They did prefer them warm though but would eat them at lunchtime.

Yes, very good value! Few ingredients and made in the UK so a quality product that I would pay these amounts for.

I haven't bought any of them yet as we've just finished these but I will be buying some more!

Thank you for the pots - they were lovely!

angeleyesmax Thu 25-Oct-12 19:12:28

Overall, did you enjoy the Ambrosia rice pot range? Yes we largely enjoyed them
Would you buy any of the pots again? If so, which ones? Yes we would buy the pot that came with Jam.
Do you think you would recommend the range to your friends and family (if it came up in conversation)? The smaller size pots for lunch boxes possibly.
Did you enjoy the taste of the rice pots? Did your children enjoy the taste of the rice pots? We felt the light, plain and apple flavours tasted a little artificial. The jam one was lush though! The custard one was nice but my husband said he couldn't actually taste any custard just creaminess. Chocolate was a bit of a let down. Bit watery and not v choccy.
Did you or your family / children have a particular favourite flavour? With Jam! Would have been nice to have less seeds in the jam though! Which was the most popular? Jam Which was least popular? The apple - didn't finish as felt it tasted too odd.
Which size pot did you prefer? Large to share as a family.
When would you / your family be most likely to eat the rice pots? As they currently come for days out.
Would you include a rice pot in your child’s lunchbox or on a picnic? Yes
Would you say that the range is good value for money? (recommended prices are: 500g Sharing Pot, £1.39, 190g Rice Pots in Devon Custard, 65p, 120g Rice Pots in Apple and Chocolate, 45p, 115g Light Rice, 49p, 145g Rice + in Strawberry Jam and Raspberry Jam, 69p) yes.
Have you bought or do you think you will buy any products from the range following the test?Yes I will buy the travel sized jam pot again.

mamaman Thu 25-Oct-12 12:46:12

Myself and my husband quite liked some of the varieties but my children were not keen.
I would buy the large pot of rice pudding for hubby.
I probably would not recommend them.
I quite liked the taste as it took me back to my childhood.My Children had a try of all of the flavours but after a couple of spoons they would not eat anymore.
Just plain rice pudding was the favourite.
The large size.
As a quick mid week pudding at home.
No, as the children did not like them.
It is quite expensive considering how cheap it is to make yourself and takes little time to put together at home.
I may buy the large pots for my hubby.

lovealotbear Thu 25-Oct-12 11:48:02

Yes we enjoyed the Ambrosia pots. My dd age 6 was particularly keen.

I would buy he pots again and in fact already have and they are in my cupboard. I have bought the choclate and Devon custard flavour.

I would recomend to friends with kids as an easy alternative to yoghurts.

My daughter enjoyed the chocolate one the most, with the adults liking the custard one more.

We preferred the smaller pot size as mostly were eaten as deserts or after school snack.

I would put in lunchbox but my son who is the only one who has packed lunches does not like rice pudding!
With regards to value for money they stack up well against other items such as jelly in a pot.

I have already bought more pots as stated above.

Thanks for sending them!

cazboldy Thu 25-Oct-12 11:09:18

Yes overall we all enjoyed the Ambrosia pots smile

I would buy the pots again - most likely the smaller ones.

Yes, i think i would recommend to family - in fact I already did to my sister!

I wasn't keen on the apple one, Dh didn't like the chocolate one (but he is not keen on chocolate flavoured stuff anyway) and ds3 wasn't a lover of any of them - but that was because he didn't like the texture rather than the taste.

I think the most popular was the devon custard, and the least popular the apple.

I preferred the smaller pots - would be ideal for lunch boxes and I think in general this would be when we would tend to eat them. I suppose you could take them on a pic nic - not sure if I would personally though.

I think they are competitively priced with other items, and I would buy again in fact I have done so already

Oh and the box they came in was fab! smile

TeeBee Thu 25-Oct-12 10:20:14

Yuuummmmm

Yes

Did you enjoy the taste of the rice pots?
Yes, the apple one in particular.

Did your children enjoy the taste of the rice pots?
My f7-year old son loved the chocolate one. My 9-year old old wouldn't touch them unfortunatley. Luckily his friends did and remarked that they hadn't had rice pudding for ages and were going to ask their mum to get some of these pots.
Chocolate and apple were the favourites, but all were enjoyed by those who tried them.

The 190g pots.

In a lunchbox and for supper.

Yes

Would you say that the range is good value for money?(recommended prices are: 500g Sharing Pot, £1.39, 190g Rice Pots in Devon Custard, 65p, 120g Rice Pots in Apple and Chocolate, 45p, 115g Light Rice, 49p, 145g Rice + in Strawberry Jam and Raspberry Jam, 69p)
I would buy any of those at that price, good value for money as they are quite filling. They stop the constant 'I'm starving' moans.

We haven't yet but I certainly will be buying the apple flavour again.

Many thanks for letting us test them, it was good fun. They box they arrived in was huuuuge for what was in it. I did wonder whether this was necessary. However, its great as an office storage box. :-)

emilymc Tue 23-Oct-12 20:51:13

all, did you enjoy the Ambrosia rice pot range?
Yes, really handy, filling and tasty.

The small pots... custard, apple & jam flavours definitely!

Yes I'd recommend to family members who were looking for a change from yogurts.

Yes my daughter really enjoyed the taste & so did I.

I think apple was my daughter's favourite flavour, surprisingly over chocolate! I thought the custard flavour was delicious

The smaller pots as they make handy puddings, we are a small family so takes a while to get though a big pot.

During the week when we're busy and when my child eats before Daddy is home from work.

Maybe not, would be worried about mess or them not being in the fridge.

Yes they are good value, do they do variety packs of the small ones? That would be great!

We have only just finished this set but I will definitely buy in the future. Great tp have some simple pudding varieties in the fridge. The have a long shelf life too which is great!

countessduckula Mon 22-Oct-12 21:09:49

Well, we enjoyed these a lot. Would definitely get the pot with separate jam and the pot with custard again. Couldn't try the choc pot as it arrived broken, shame as we all wanted to try it. We shared these with my mum and stepdad, they liked them too and will be getting some in the future. We liked the little pots, everyone wanted a different flavour and if I wanted a big rice pud I'd make one.
We'd eat these as puddings rather than snacks as ds has school dinners. I think they're pretty good value for money as an occassional dessert, they have a nice creamy texture and a traditional rice pud taste. Interestingly no-one wanted theirs hot, we preferred them from the fridge. I'll definitely be getting the jam and custard ones again.
Thanks Ambrosia!

Yes although, I found them not quite sweet enough for me

I liked the jam and apple ones.

Yes convenient and tasty

I enjoyed some of them, the low fat one was horrible imo. I knew my eldest wouldn't eat them but expected my youngest to, he wanted the strawberry one had one spoonful and gave it back to me, wouldn't try any others. Hard to know why as he is only 2.

Favourite was the jam one, reminded me of school smile. The flavoured ones were least favourite.

120g pot/145g with jam

I ate most of them with my lunch.

If they would eat them I definitely would but they didn't like them sad

Yes I would say they were value for money.

I will buy the jam and possibly apple one for myself.

cheeseandmushroomghostie Mon 22-Oct-12 15:29:02

Not compared to other rice pudddings that we have tried. Wasnt very creamy and colour was slightly off putting in the plain ones.

Maybe the one with jam.

Not really, sorry.

DS (2.4) ate half the plain one, but didnt like the chocolate one or the apple one. He normally eats a whole muller rice as a snack.

Chocolate one looked and smelt funny, like 'fake' chocolate.

The smallest one was the handiest.

Asa a snack.

Yes, if I didn't have anything else in.

Its ok considering they have a very long shelf life.

No and no, sorry. Just didnt like the taste. And I grew up eating a whole tin of Ambrosia rice pudidng in one sitting!

mumnosbest Mon 22-Oct-12 15:02:34

Yes but some more than others.
I would buy the large family/sharing, plain rice pot and possibly the small light one.
I have discussed these with family and would reccomend the large pot.
My children, surprisingly didn't enjoy any of these (both love rice puding). they said they were too creamy/milky and I would agree they were too rich. We all preferred the light version for this reason. The apple and chocolate flavoured ones may have been nicer with more apple/chocolate as there wasn't really enough to flavour the rice. My husband tried the jam one and agreed it was too rich. The large plain pot was our favourite but again a bit rich. It was nicer warm. I loved the fact that the pots were microwaveable. Baby daughter seemed to enjoy all of them.
The least favourite all round was the chocolate as you couldn't taste it. Our favourite was probably the light pot.
Both. The sharing pot for dessert, though a little bigger would have been better smile The smaller pots for lunch boxes.
At home for dessert.
No as they didn't really enjoy them.
The sharing pot - Yes.
The smaller pots are compareable in price to other ranges but still a little pricey for me to buy regularly.
I may buy a light sharing pot in the future.

I really like the fact that the pots are microwaveable but the flavour was too rich and creamy for our liking.

OVoodooZombiesEatYourBrains Mon 22-Oct-12 13:43:45

Overall, did you enjoy the Ambrosia rice pot range? Yes very much so.

Would you buy any of the pots again? If so, which ones? Yes, the jam ones and the devon custard rice ones. Oh and the chocolate ones!

Do you think you would recommend the range to your friends and family (if it came up in conversation)? Definitely

Did you enjoy the taste of the rice pots? Did your children enjoy the taste of the rice pots? I dont really like the plain ones (but it's easy enough to add some jam to them) but liked all the others. My 4 year old hated them all! But he lives on bread and butter so his opinion means nothing wink. My 7 year old LOVED them all and acted as if I'd just handed him £50 when he tasted them, such was his excitement.

Did you or your family / children have a particular favourite flavour? Which was the most popular? Which was least popular? My favourite was the jam one. My 7 year old can't decided between the chocolate and the devon custard one. He really loved them both.
The apple one was tasted and then discarded. Not at all liked by any of us.

The individual (devon custard rice size) pots. Good sized portions.

When would you / your family be most likely to eat the rice pots? As an after school snack or as a pudding. We dont usually do pudding but these are very puddingy without being a nuisance to make.

Yes, my son has school dinners but if he ever changes to packed lunches I'll definitely start putting a rice pot in most days.

Would you say that the range is good value for money? Yes, pretty good though not brilliant. Bring the prices down just a little and they'd be excellent value.

Have you bought or do you think you will buy any products from the range following the test? Yes, the devon custard rice and the chocolate one.

sparklystar Mon 22-Oct-12 07:41:18

Overall yes we did enjiy the range

I would buy the ones with Jam and the chocolate ones, also the plain one

I might recommend the chocolate and jam ones some where a little to plain for our liking

The Jam and chocolate were nice the apple and custard were a little bland

DD tried the chocolate one but isn't too keen on Rice pudding anyway
I enjoyed the jam one, the least popular was probably the custard and apple because they were bland

I prefer the larger pot, then we could all enjoy some

We ate them as a snack but we would also enjoy as part of a packed lunch

I would if she would eat them, I have taken them in my lunch before

Would you say that the range is good value for money? (recommended prices are: 500g Sharing Pot, £1.39, 190g Rice Pots in Devon Custard, *65p, 120g Rice Pots in Apple and Chocolate, 45p, 115g Light Rice, 49p,* 145g Rice + in Strawberry Jam and Raspberry Jam, 69p)
I feel these prices are fair and I will probably buy the ones we enjoyed most

I will probably but the big sharing pot again and maybe the chocolate and jam pots

Thank you for letting us test

kissmyheathenass Sat 20-Oct-12 20:20:58

I would certainly buy the big carton again. All my children loved it (none left for me to try!). The smaller pots are lovely for a picninc but too expensive to replace yoghurts in packed lunches every day. Maybe I would use them in lunches occasionally to add some variety.

Do you think you would recommend the range to your friends and family (if it came up in conversation)

I would in the unlikely event that it came up in conversation (make a welcome change from the Xfactor or shichever rubbish they talk about normally).

My children loved them. I was permitted small tastes of some of them and agreed they were really nice (apart from the apple one which none of us liked that much). I served the rice from the big carton with some fruit salad and it worked very well - more suited to the cold weather than icecream.

Apple was least popular. The one with jam was the most popular. We also really liked the one with custard.

The bigger one was better value. Also, it meant less packagnig to throw away. My children added some jam to it, inspired by the rice pot with strawberry jam.

The big carton would be great for a quick mid-week pudding.

Yes on a picnic. Perhaps in a lunch box occasionally but as they are more expensive than frubes etc, they wouldnt be a permanent replacement.

Not particularly good value for money. There are cheaper alternatives.

IreadthereforeIam Sat 20-Oct-12 17:38:32

Yes, we did.

Yes we would - all of them!

I already seem to have done that!!

Both myself, my youngest son (aged 5) and my husband liked the rice pots very much!!

Ds liked the raspberry jam one (he liked mixing the jam into the rice pudding), I liked the plain one (although the jam one was very nice...), and dh liked the plain one too.

The smaller snack sized pot seemed to be the sensible option, but to be honest, I could quite easily make some serious headway into the family sized pot (on my own blush)

We'd most likely eat them as a pudding after dinner in the evening.

Probably not - too messy!

They are more of a treat, really. If they were on offer, we'd definitely buy them, though.

I think we'll definitely be buying our favourites again, if I can talk dh (the shopper!!) into adding them to the list!!

coorong Sat 20-Oct-12 17:26:50

Thank you for allowing us to take part in your market research. We enjoyed it and hope our feedback is useful.
Yes it was an interesting range
The large one and the individual snack pots. Not the chocolate or rice+jam - don't like the artificial tasting flavours
Possibly, but generally I don't talk about products with friends of family - we never really have. I'd only warn against particular products or promote an exceptional one. For example - I'd warn against certain brands if they tasted disgusting and recently recommended a particularly talked about particular brands now available in our local Coop.
As above - the non adulterated ones.
As above - chocolate for us did not work.
Large for evening meals (like the idea of less packaging) - small for the out and about. The only trouble with larger pots (like yoghurt pots), is that if they are squashe din the shopping bag, they have a tendency to crack if they are squashed. That's a reason for buying cans over plastic pots for larger containers.
As desert at supper time.
No, we prefer actual fruit or a perhaps a shop bought or homemade cake.
The price actually depends on the supermarket and on offers etc. I'd go straight for the plain rice puddings.
Possibly - depends. We do like the flavour or Rachel's organic rice puddings, particularly heated up. We worry about he presence of artificial flavours that cna add that "plasticky" taste to some foods. We used to buy tins of rice pudding more often, but tend to buy fewer packaged deserts now (e.g. mousses, yoghurts etc) because we're trying to have fresh fruit after our evning meal instead - it's cheaper and healthier in our opinion.

Generally I don't consult my children or husband over what to buy in terms of food. We might offer differ things for desert at mealtime, but it's really me who decides what that choice will be before hand. Sounds draconian, but even if they ask for stuff in the shop, we don't get it.

LadyMaryCreepyCrawley Sat 20-Oct-12 17:15:30

Lovely!

The smaller ones were great as we didn't feel obliged to overeat.

It's unlikely that they would come up in a conversation.

They were quite sickly to be honest, a little too sweet.

The chocolate one didn't go down too well. We liked the plain ones as we could add the right amount of jam/honey to suit our tastes.

The smaller ones.

Snacking after ds has gone to bed. Shhh!

No. They would get squashed too easily and they taste a lot better when warm.

Yes.

Yes, the smaller pots.

gazzalw Sat 20-Oct-12 12:15:13

Sorry about the delay in transmission from me but the uptake of the Ambrosia rice pudding goodies has been rather slow in our household! Think it's only fair to point out that we are not really big on puddings here and I had this naive thought that that this generous product review would refresh the pudding parts that have yet to be reached in our family. It has not entirely proven to to be the case!

The children were not keen at all even on the children-oriented chocolate and jam pots. Sorry - they just seemed to dislike the texture of rice and milk together.

DW and I were altogether a lot easier to please and enjoyed trying them all out. We very much liked the variety of flavours (although some more than others), the different sized pots and the big family 'tub'.

It's a difficult one. They would be an ideal lunch-box staple especially given that they don't need to be kept refrigerated, but of course the children weren't keen.

I would certainly happily eat the apple or Devon custard variety again and would be happy to have a supply at work for snacking purposes especially during the winter months. I could see myself eating one for breakfast instead of cereals. I personally think that the 190g pot-size is a good adult sized portion

I would recommend the range to families with children who like rice pudding or are generally keen on puddings. It is a good semi-sneaky way to get dairy products into growing kids!

I do think they are a good store-cupboard standby, particularly when you need comfort food (when you are ill) and would happily encourage DW to stock up in the same way that we do with Baxters Soups!

The children weren't keen at all but then they're not even keen on home-made rice-pudding - Sorry!

DW and I particularly liked the Devon Custard variety and the standard Ambrosia Rice Pudding was tasty. I did however get a strange texture feeling as if there were starch flakes added? It definitely wasn't the rice part and to start with I thought that it was very fine shavings of apple, checked the pot and I wasn't eating the apple-flavoured one.

The jam one aside I didn't feel that the flavours were over-sweet at all which can only be a good thing!

The chocolate one didn't really taste of chocolate - it tasted artificial and a bit ersatz.

The jam one was a bit too sweet and think that raspberry would have worked better.

DW didn't like the 'light' variety and felt that the calorie saving wasn't really worth the compromise on flavour (it had a strange after-taste).

The grown-ups in this house loved the Devon custard variety!

The Sharing Pot offers the best value for money and the opportunity to apportion rice pudding according to appetite and size/age! But really only if the whole family would be eating the Ambrosia.

The 190g pot suits an adult appetite and the 115g more suitable for children. There would in our opinion be a place for small toddler yoghurt sized portions (40g or 50g) to buy in trays of six.

As an energy boosting snack or possibly as a treat and vaguely anarchic alternative to porridge in the winter.

Although our children wouldn't have them in their lunchboxes I think they would be a welcome alternative to yoghurts for most children.

Not sure about picnics as we like to produce 50s style home cooked/prepared stuff in our picnics.

Sort of thing you could have in an emergency supplies box in the boot of your car though for if you get stuck somewhere and need food/drink to hand.

Not entirely as I'm pretty sure you could rustle up a rice-pudding for a family for £1.00. However, as an indulgent treat I don't think that 65p per pot for the Ambrosia Devon Custard ones is breaking the bank....And I would indulge in those!

We've only just finished trying them so haven't really had time to consider buying more. I am not sure that DW would go out of her way to buy them as it's only she and me who would be eating them and we are not really pudding monsters! However, I think if I was shopping with her and saw them I could use my charms to persuade her to get in a stock of the Devon Custard ones ;-)!

Thank you for choosing us to do the product review and I'm sorry that I can't report back that we've converted the children! But it certainly has put Ambrosia products back on our radar and I for one will keep an eye out for them on the shelves!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now