This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

NOW CLOSED Kingsmill Fruit & Fibre bread - tester review thread

(261 Posts)
KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 27-Sep-12 12:43:01

This thread is for the 250 Mumsnetters who have been trying out the new Fruit & Fibre bread from Kingsmill.

If you are a tester please add your feedback to this thread by answering the questions below, as well as any other comments you may have. Everyone who adds their feedback will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a £250 Debenhams voucher.

1) What was your overall impression of Kingsmill Fruit & Fibre bread? Was there anything you particularly liked or disliked?

2) How about your DC? Did they enjoy the taste of Kingsmill Fruit & Fibre bread or not? Was there anything they particularly liked or disliked about the product?

3) Kingsmill says "By eating a slice of Fruit & Fibre bread, your child will start the day by having 35% of their recommended daily wholegrain" - do you think this message would make you more likely to buy the product or not? Why?

4) Now that you've tried it, do you think you would consider buying Kingsmill Fruit & Fibre bread? If so, why? If not, why not? How about other products in the Fruit & Fibre range such as muffins and bagels, do you think you might try any of these? If so why, if not, why not?

5) Finally, if it came up in conversation, do you think you would recommend Kingsmill Fruit & Fibre to your friends/family? If so, why? If not, why not?

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw.

MNHQ

1) What was your overall impression of Kingsmill Fruit & Fibre bread? Was there anything you particularly liked or disliked?
It was less fruity than I expected and doesn't seem to have any spices in it. So the taste isn't as bold as I would like. Absence of 'peel' is a huge plus though. I haven't yet noticed/tasted any cranberries.

2) How about your DC? Did they enjoy the taste of Kingsmill Fruit & Fibre bread or not? Was there anything they particularly liked or disliked about the product?
Yes my 4 YO loves it both as toast and as a jam sandwich (her request). She likes the fruit, the taste. My 1YO enjoyed it at breakfast as a change from porridge. They would both love it with peanut butter. It's sweet - most kids will love it.

3) Kingsmill says "By eating a slice of Fruit & Fibre bread, your child will start the day by having " - do you think this message would make you more likely to buy the product or not? Why?
This appeals completely to me, and is probably the main reason I would buy it.
Actually I've just had a thought - I don't know what "35% of their recommended daily wholegrain" means. I'd be more interested in a % of daily fibre statistic. I couldn't find online any UK references as to what the recommended daily wholegrain is. And I'm not sure that 35% of wholegrain sufficiently counter balances the added sugar in the product. So the initial appeal is wearing off - is it all market blurb? It is annoying (perhaps disingenuous) to call the product Fruit and Fibre and then include a statistic about wholegrain. Why not a statistic about fibre % if that is what you are selling? In fact I initially 'read' the statistic as being about fibre. Probably a common mistake made by many consumers.

4) Now that you've tried it, do you think you would consider buying Kingsmill Fruit & Fibre bread? If so, why? If not, why not? How about other products in the Fruit & Fibre range such as muffins and bagels, do you think you might try any of these? If so why, if not, why not?
I'm not sure if I would buy it. I try to keep products with added sugar to a minimum, so this would at most be an occasional buy. The flavour isn't strong/spicy enough for me to be really tempted to change from the fruit loaf I buy occasionally, which is tastier. I'll compare the fibre content of the 2 loaves when I am able to.
We buy bagels most weeks, but again I prefer the ones with cinnamon and raisins in, so I'm not sure that I would be tempted away from those.
I wouldn't buy muffins - I never buy those.

5) Finally, if it came up in conversation, do you think you would recommend Kingsmill Fruit & Fibre to your friends/family? If so, why? If not, why not?
It's an OK product and if it came up in conversation I would suggest they try it for themselves.

redgate Fri 28-Sep-12 11:15:38

It toasts nicely from frozen, and also great in bread n butter pudding smile

Lovemy3kids Fri 28-Sep-12 12:34:34

1) What was your overall impression of Kingsmill Fruit & Fibre bread? Was there anything you particularly liked or disliked? Good size for toasting, not too dense - was disappointed in the amount of fruit in each slice - would have prefered more.

2) How about your DC? Did they enjoy the taste of Kingsmill Fruit & Fibre bread or not? Was there anything they particularly liked or disliked about the product? DC absolutly loved it and wanted to eat all of it! They liked it both on its own and toasted. They felt there was enough fruit in each slice.

3) Kingsmill says "By eating a slice of Fruit & Fibre bread, your child will start the day by having 35% of their recommended daily wholegrain" - do you think this message would make you more likely to buy the product or not? Why? I don't feel it would make me buy it more just beacuase of this statement.

4) Now that you've tried it, do you think you would consider buying Kingsmill Fruit & Fibre bread? If so, why? If not, why not? How about other products in the Fruit & Fibre range such as muffins and bagels, do you think you might try any of these? If so why, if not, why not? Assuming that it is not too expensive, yes I would consider buying this product again.

5) Finally, if it came up in conversation, do you think you would recommend Kingsmill Fruit & Fibre to your friends/family? If so, why? If not, why not? Yes I would definietly recommend this product to family/friends - in fact - I already have!!

Thank you Kingsmill for allowing me and my DC the opportunity to taste this! smile

sweetaddict Fri 28-Sep-12 13:09:02

I love the idea and was excited to try, I tried both 'raw' and toasted with butter and both were very tasty (the smell of it toasting in particular was delicious). It was great to have different fruits in it rather than just raisin bread. I think it could have done with a little more fruit and I'm not sure I would have it with anything else spread on but overall it lived up to my expectations.

Dd2 18mo, tucked in straight away to a slice and no complaints there, she wasn't as keen with it toasted but ate a lot of it.
Dd1 7, didn't like it at all, but she doesn't like things with raisins in anyway so I was hopeful to expect it to be a huge hit with her.

3) Kingsmill says "By eating a slice of Fruit & Fibre bread, your child will start the day by having 35% of their recommended daily wholegrain" - do you think this message would make you more likely to buy the product or not? Why?

Not really, although it is a good selling point. We tend to have wholegrain cereal for breakfast usually anyway and a mix of wholegrain and white bread. But it certainly makes a nice change and wholegrain with fruit is known to be an excellent start to the day.

Yes I would definitely, it also makes a great alternative snack also for my toddler, instead of the usual breadstick/biscuit/raisin combos.
Yes I'd try the other products, particularly muffins although the price would need to be competitive with the regular white varieties.

I would recommend it yes, it's a tasty snack or breakfast and lovely toasted with a cuppa.

Thanks.

BoysWillGrow Fri 28-Sep-12 13:11:08

Im surprised I liked it more than I thought I would, i liked the size, 2 slices are perfect for breakfast! The amount of fruit in it was good, can stand the bread where they have too much in, this was the perfect amount. The packaging looks exactly the same (to me) as the 50/50 loaf I buy so maybe people may struggle to see the differences between at a glance.

My 5 year old didn't, but he doesn't like many new things I get for quite a while. My 2 year old liked it he had a slice cut up for a snack.

No, but means if I did buy it instead of having for myself I'd encourage them to have it too.

Yes, not every week but sure a couple times a month. Not too sure about trying the rest I already buy a lot of varied things for breakfast, I feel they wouldn't get eaten.

Yes, it tastes lovely one of my children likes it too, so why not? smile

DillyTante Fri 28-Sep-12 13:15:10

It was quite nice, not anything out of the ordinary though. A little bit bland perhaps. In the letter it said you can eat is on its own but I wouldn't as it is too dry. I wasn't keen on the apple pieces, they were a bit tough.

2) How about your DC? Did they enjoy the taste of Kingsmill Fruit & Fibre bread or not? Was there anything they particularly liked or disliked about the product? The toddler didn't like it though can't explain why, but my five year old did. She liked the fruit in it. DH liked it and thought it was a nice change from raisin fruit loaf.

Not because I'm not particularly concerned about this as we tend to eat brown or 50/50 bread and pasta.

Not especially unless on offer. I didn't find it any better than other fruit loaf brands. In fact I prefer ones which have cinnamon in them. Plus I'm just not really a fan of sliced bread. Prefer homemade.

I wouldn't go out of my way to mention it but if it came up in conversation I'd say it was ok.

Regan Fri 28-Sep-12 14:50:13

1) What was your overall impression of Kingsmill Fruit & Fibre bread? Was there anything you particularly liked or disliked? We tried it the afternoon it came when we came back from school and then had it again for breakfast. I prefered it for breakfast but the boys were more enthusiastic for it as an after school snack.

My daughter refused to try it but she doesn't like raisins. The boys were unsure to start but really liked it one liked it untoasted without butter and the other toasted with butter.
No not really as I already try to keep an eye on their fibre intake

I would definitely try the bagels. i would buy it again as it was nice.
Yes I would recommend but more as an after school snack.

SciFiFan Fri 28-Sep-12 15:32:29

Was surprised at the size - seemed quite a small loaf but actually thinking about it it's probably about right. Packaging seems right.

I liked it though there could have been a tad more fruit. DS1 thought it tasted like teacakes - he liked it and will probably want it again for breakfast. DS2 didn't like it but I wasn't surprised - he doesn't like teacakes etc. DH thought it was OK - nothing special but did like the taste of apple.

I don't think this message has to just be aimed at kids. At 85 cals a slice with the Fruit and fibre it's a good low-cal breakfast for someone who is watching their weight (which is why I'll probably buy it again in the future).

Yes I would buy it again for the reasons I gave in 3) though it would be dependent on the price. Not as interested in the other products. I don't tend to eat alot of bread and the boys prefer bread over muffins etc.

5) Finally, if it came up in conversation, do you think you would recommend Kingsmill Fruit & Fibre to your friends/family? If so, why? If not, why not? Yes I would recommend Kingsmill and have already mentioned it to a couple of other mums in the playground.

fivesacrowd Fri 28-Sep-12 16:22:04

Pretty packaging - not dissimilar to Kingsmill bread though so dh thought was just a dinky loaf of stuff for making sandwiches with.

DD1 said it tasted funny which is unusual as she love hot cross bun loaf and fruit bread. Other dc liked it with butter as afterschool snack. One mindee liked it toasted, other one refused to eat it. So mixed response from dc tbh

Wouldn't affect it, my dc have a balanced diet, cereal for breakfast and wholemeal bread at lunchtime.

Probably would buy if it was on offer, but would depend on price tbh, if I can get fruit loaf for the same price I'd be more likely to buy that instead.

I quite liked it toasted so wouldn't put anyone off it, but wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it.

sadly mine is stuck in the post office over the weekend until at least Monday sad

BabsJansen Fri 28-Sep-12 16:30:15

I was surprised to see a small loaf. I reall disliked the smell. So sweet. Otherwise nothing special and I didn't really like it. Too sweet.

BabsJansen Fri 28-Sep-12 16:31:09

They liked it toasted as an after school snack. Made a change and I'd be happy to use it for this. It is not much use for their packed lunches really.

NoobytheWaspSlayer Fri 28-Sep-12 16:31:22

Loved the way it smelled as it toasted, liked that it's 84 calories a slice so not too high calorie

Nope - total rejection by both DSes (5 & 3) DD 9 months really liked it

No - we saw it more as a tea cake/fruit loaf type after school food.

Yes - I would buy it for myself. Like having a teacake only lower calorie. Would try muffins and bagels

Yes to my friends who are slimming.

BabsJansen Fri 28-Sep-12 16:32:57

The message makes no difference to me as I am certain that my children get a broad and balanced diet from their other foods without hang to search out special messages. Also, 35% doesn't really sound like all that much tbh hmm

BabsJansen Fri 28-Sep-12 16:34:56

I can't see I'd get much use from it. I'd only rarely give it to the DCs and much more likely to buy normal bread or make bread. My homemade raisin loaf is much more substantial so will stick with this. Also can't stand the fruit smell permeating the kitchen

BabsJansen Fri 28-Sep-12 16:35:53

No, I'd say it was very sweet smelling and a bit too 'floppy'

Marmalada Fri 28-Sep-12 16:36:56

I opened it on Thursday and it already felt a bit stale which was a real shame. I thought it was a bit lacking in flavour and could have done with some more spices in it.

Interestingly the child I thought would like it refused to try it as apparently bread isn't allowed to include currants! The child who doesn't have a sweet tooth quite liked it which also surprised me.

Wouldn't make me buy it but I did tell DD1 that was why she had to try it!

I would try the muffins as they could be a bit like teacakes which would be good.

No, I don't think it stands out as a good enough product to recommend.

piprabbit Fri 28-Sep-12 16:43:53

Picked up my loaves from the Post Office today. I had a couple of slices for breakfast however, in the interest of giving a balanced view, I'll wait to give my full feedback until after the DCs try it for breakfast tomorrow.
I did have to have two sherbet lemons to take away the taste

Piggychunk Fri 28-Sep-12 17:39:34

1) My husband and I really liked to however it did feel not as fresh as could have been.

2) AMy children refused it. My DS age 4 said it looked yucky with the bits in ( he does it wholemeal ) and my DD 14 siad she hated Raisins so refused.

3) I would buy

4) I don't think I will as I will stick to buying bread the whole family will eat.

5) Yes I would for a unique taste

beepbeep Fri 28-Sep-12 17:40:38

I did not particularly like the taste, rather sweet and not the 'teacake' taste I was hoping for

DD3 tried it and didn't like it at all, she loves toast and tea cakes - I thought she'd love it.

No - there are plenty of other ways of getting a healthy balanced diet.

I would not buy them because I don't think they tasted great. I would not be tempted to buy other things in the range based on this loaf.

No, I don't think it was that nice.

mummyofcutetwo Fri 28-Sep-12 17:50:16

From the moment I took it from the postman I was impressed by the wonderful aromas eminating from the box! The bread is abs

Yes, definitely!

mummyofcutetwo Fri 28-Sep-12 18:10:02

From the moment I took it from the postman I was impressed by the wonderful aromas eminating from the box! I had it toasted with butter and my husband tried it both toasted/buttered and just buttered. The bread is absolutely delicious; full of yummy fruit and with a lovely texture.

My four year old loves it. He had it toasted and buttered. He liked the fruit too. He's asked for it as an after school snack the last two days, and for breakfast too (so he must be keen!). My six month old likes it too! He stole a piece off my plate and started chomping on it, and now whenever he sees me eating it he gets very excited and tries to grab a bit!

I'm not sure it would make me more likely to buy it now I've tried it as the taste alone would persuade me to buy it every week. Having said that, as a general point it is an attractive property and would encourage me to buy it in preference to other breads/cakes as an after school snack. It would make me feel a little less guilty when snacking on it myself too.

I would definitely buy it (well, if it's not out of my league price-wise). I'd also try f&f muffins but not bagels, just because I don't like bagels.

Yes, definitely! I think my whole family would enjoy it - it's just the sort of thing my parents would buy in for when we all go to stay.

hurricanewyn Fri 28-Sep-12 18:21:54

1) The smell was deliciius. I've tried it cold and toasted - both were good, but toasted was great. It was too sweet for breakfast (imo) but was good later in the day. Being toaster sized is a great bonus too.

2) DS hates raisins & sultanas so I was sure he wouldn't like the bread, but he loved this. Really, really enjoyed it. DD likes dried fruit of all kinds and she loved it too - actually asked for it as pudding this evening.

3) If I was specifically buying a fruit bread or teacake, then this would definitely be my first choice for that reason. It won't be our regular breakfast though.

4) Like I said, I would definitely buy it again if I'm looking for fruitbread again. It's really tasty, and the fibre is an added bonus. I'd try the bagels - I really like cinamon & raisin bagels so I imagine these to be similar. I might buy the muffins if they're on specual, but wouldn't go out of my way looking for them.

5) I would, but more for the taste rather than the health benefits.

Thanks for letting us try them - very happy house here smile

nextphase Fri 28-Sep-12 18:37:10

It smells really odd. I haven't actually picked up the courage to try it yet.

My 3 year old, and 16 month old were offered a slice yesterday, and demolished a whole slice each. Both have requested a slice today - DS1 verbally, DS2 by pointing and screeching, and eat the whole thing again, so i think its a thumbs up from them.

I'm not convinced. I like the idea of freezing it (and one loaf is in the freezer), but looking at the ingredients, and nutritional content, I think I'll stick with Malt Loaf as the emergency snack. Yes, twice the sugar and less fibre, but less fat, less unnatural ingredients, more fruit and more b vits in the malt loaf.

Its a strange size - and I'd probably overlook it on the shelves, as I look for traditional sized loaves.

Don't think I'd go for bagels (we only eat plain ones here). And I wouldn't buy muffins of any description - I'd make them.

Not too fussed about fibre intake - we eat reasonably healthily. I wouldn't buy a product because it was promoting fibre. I was expecting more fruit in it. There are only 4-5 pieces in a slice. It looks odd with these odd bits.

Moodykat Fri 28-Sep-12 18:37:46

Like other posters, I was pleased it had other fruit in it than sultanas! Small loaves work quite well in our house though as we are sporadic bread eaters!

Both DS's liked it as "supper" toasted with butter. Tried it for breakfast this morning and DS1 said he didn't like it!

It probably would as I am a sucker for tag lines like that! I know they probably get all they need from their daily food without products like this but as I said, I'm a sucker!

I would I think yes, I really liked it. I expect the muffins would be nice!

Probably not recommend it, possibly mention it and that I liked it.

Thank you for letting us try it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now