Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests being run by Mumsnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test, please email insight@mumsnet.com. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic.

NOW CLOSED: MU 100% Cheddar Sticks product test - feedback thread

(120 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 28-Aug-12 14:43:53

This thread is for the 100 MNers who are trying the new MU 100% Cheddar Sticks from MU cheese with their DC.

If you are a tester please add your feedback to this thread by answering these questions once you've bought and tried the cheese.

MU says "Our new MU Sticks are the perfect little treat to pop into your kids' lunchboxes, or even stash in the fridge as a delicious and healthy snack. Each stick is made from 100% Cheddar and contain the equivalent of one 210ml glass of milk. What's more, they are completely natural - each yummy chunk of smooth and creamy medium cheddar is just MU Cheddar, with no artificial colours, flavours or preservatives added."

Everyone who is a tester and who adds their feedback will be entered into a prize draw where one family will win £100 worth of Love2Shop vouchers.

Feedback questions:

Who in your family ate the MU Sticks? What was their verdict? If they didn't go down well, why?
When did they get eaten - on what type of occasion - eg did they go out on a picnic, in a lunchbox or eaten at home? As a snack or part of a meal?
What did your family testers think of the:
- Texture
- Strength of the cheese
- Packaging
If you or your DC could make one improvement to MU sticks what would it be and why?
As stated above MU sticks:
~ are 100% cheddar - is this appealing to you? Why?
~ contain the equivalent of one 210ml glass of milk - is this appealing to you? Why?
Overall, how important it is to you to ensure your children get their calcium intake right?
Lastly do you think you would buy MU sticks again? Why? (RRP £1.35 for a pack of 4 sticks)

Thanks and good luck
MNHQ

Elkieb Tue 04-Sep-12 18:38:53

Hi, thank you for the offer. Me, my husband and my 7 month old boy have tried them. I like the aspect of the sticks being actual cheese and have a measured amount of calcium to them.

As to the taste, the product is a good size and flavour though not too dissimilar to other cheeses/cheddars.

I would buy them again, especially if they were on offer.

Who in your family ate the MU Sticks? What was their verdict? If they didn't go down well, why?

All of us: DH and me (thirty-cough), DS1 (4) and DS2 (16m). General approval. We usually get mature cheddar so they weren't too strong.

When did they get eaten - on what type of occasion - eg did they go out on a picnic, in a lunchbox or eaten at home? As a snack or part of a meal?

As a snack outside, from a coolbag - a bit sweaty. As a snack inside, straight from the fridge - much firmer.

What did your family testers think of the: - Texture - Strength of the cheese - Packaging

See above. Because it's proper cheese it doesn't seem to do well out of the fridge for long (unlike eg Cheesestrings). Our school lunchboxes have to have a freezer block in though so if I were putting in a lunchbox I would just try to put the cheese as close to the frozen block as possible.

Strength was good for DH and the DCs but a bit bland for me - I like Black Bomber so if it doesn't make me wince it's too mild!

Packaging was fine. The 4yo didn't need any explanation to get it open himself - ideal for school lunchbox. He has previously struggled with Cheesestrings and Babybels.

It was a bit annoying that the four cheeses were stuck together in the packet. If they were separate I'd have left them in the packet in the fridge, but. once I'd taken them all out to separate off one or two, I cba to put them back in the packet so I threw it away. Although the BBE is on the individual cheeses, the nutrition information is not.

if you or your DC could make one improvement to MU sticks what would it be and why?

They are too big. They only need to be half the size.

As stated above MU sticks: ~ are 100% cheddar - is this appealing to you? Why

Yes. Big fans of real cheese here. Dubious about the chemicals in some brands!

Contain the equivalent of one 210ml glass of milk - is this appealing to you? Why?

It's meaningless really. I have no clue what 210ml looks like. Also comically precise.

Overall, how important it is to you to ensure your children get their calcium intake right?

I think people worry about it too much. It's something I think about but don't stress about tbh.

lastlyy do you think you would buy MU sticks again? Why? (RRP £1.35 for a pack of 4 sticks)

They are out of budget at the rrp - although gram for gram they might be reasonable, I can't pay 35p per "dose" IYSWIM. If I saw them at £1 for 4 or similar I'd be more tempted. Or if you did eight half-size pieces for £1.50 or something.

Thanks for the cheese - and for the extra effort taken to get it to me!

BornToFolk Tue 04-Sep-12 20:21:09

I just got my cheese by FedEx! I had an email from Katie to say they'd be sent out directly to me as there were none in my local Tesco and got home today to find a card through the door to say a package had been left at a neighbour and it was two packs of Mu Sticks in a coolbag!

Mu are clearly very keen for me to try them so I'll give one to DS tomorrow and feedback then...

alibeenherealongtime Tue 04-Sep-12 20:46:22

Not received my vouchers yet, despite being picked!

mummyofcutetwo Wed 05-Sep-12 08:58:50

My husband and elder son (age 4). My husband liked it, son not sure.

My husband had one as a snack when he got in from work. My son had one in a picnic.

- Texture
- Strength of the cheese
- Packaging

My husband liked the texture - he thought it was halfway between normal cheddar and dairylea. He liked the strength, but would have been happier to have had it stronger. He didn't comment on the packaging.
My son wasn't sure about the texture - he said it was too squidgy, not hard like normal cheddar. He liked the strength, but again would have been happy to have it stronger. He said they looked "so cool" when he first saw them in his picnic. He didn't find it easy to open though and so only ate half of one - he's usually pretty good at getting into packaging, especially if cheese is involved!

If you or your DC could make one improvement to MU sticks what would it be and why?

Improve the texture - make it harder like normal cheddar.

The fact that it's 100% cheddar is very appealing indeed. I don't ever buy the gimmicky "cheese" products aimed at children as they just don't look natural.

~ contain the equivalent of one 210ml glass of milk - is this appealing to you? Why?

I think that would be very important if your LO didn't like drinking milk.

Very important

Lastly do you think you would buy MU sticks again? Why? (RRP £1.35 for a pack of 4 sticks)

Overall, we like the concept of the cheddar sticks but I don't think I'd buy them again at the price - I'd rather cut a few lumps off a bigger block as it would be more economical.

StellaMarie Wed 05-Sep-12 10:14:52

Who in your family ate the MU Sticks? What was their verdict? If they didn't go down well, why? DD (14), DS (12), me: tasted ok but strange, bitter aftertaste
When did they get eaten - on what type of occasion - eg did they go out on a picnic, in a lunchbox or eaten at home? As a snack or part of a meal? DCs ate one on way home from supermarket others taken as part of a picnic
- Texture texture is fine, not stringy or too rubbery
- Strength of the cheese strength is good, personally I like really mature cheddar so would have been happier if it was stronger
- Packaging easy to spot on the shelf and attractive to children
If you or your DC could make one improvement to MU sticks what would it be and why? remove the aftertaste
~ are 100% cheddar - is this appealing to you? Why? yes, don't like my food to be messed about with
~ contain the equivalent of one 210ml glass of milk - is this appealing to you? Why? yes, we drink plenty of milk in this house, but it's useful to know
Overall, how important it is to you to ensure your children get their calcium intake right? very for growing bones etc, but I do try and vary the sources of calcium and other minerals to give a wide diet
Lastly do you think you would buy MU sticks again? Why? (RRP £1.35 for a pack of 4 sticks) at that price no. I haven't bought cheese sticks of any variety before as I tend to cut up a big piece, more economical in the long run and reduces packaging waste

ScienceRocks Wed 05-Sep-12 11:14:49

Thanks for including us in this trial. We love cheese in our house!

The DDs (aged 5 and 2) ate them. DD2 liked it, DD1 didn't because it "tasted a bit funny". So I finished it. I thought it was fine, but had a slightly odd aftertaste. A bit bitter, maybe?

As part of a meal at home.

- Texture
- Strength of the cheese
- Packaging?

The texture and strength was fine for all of us. DD2 couldn't manage the packaging herself, and even though they came out of the fridge just before eating, they all kind of crumbled while still in the pack, which was a bit odd.

Easier packaging, so little ones can do it themselves (this would make them good change bag fodder). Get rid of the after taste (I know this isn't only one improvement).

Yes, as I dislike foods that pretend to be thigs that they are not (corn snacks that are basically crisps and bear no resemblance to corn, for example).

Yes, as my DDs aren't great milk drinkers.

Very important (and a very strange question).

No, they are too expensive for what they are and the difficult packaging and crumbling mean that they aren't good portable snacks. I would rather take cubes of cheese cut from a block, or a similar product like Babybels or Cheesestrings. Sorry.

bubby64 Wed 05-Sep-12 11:42:03

Thanks AnnMumsnet for sorting out our trial packs, they arrived yesterday in their own nifty little cooler grin
Our answers:-
Who in your family ate the MU Sticks? What was their verdict? If they didn't go down well, why? -We all tried them (me, DH, DS1 and DS2(both 11yrs). DH liked the taste, but wasn't keen on texture, I liked them, but I'm a cheese addict! DS1 tasted them said they were 'too strong' and DS2 had a nibble, and said YUK! but both boys have only recently started to eat cheese again after refusing to for a number of years

When did they get eaten - on what type of occasion - eg did they go out on a picnic, in a lunchbox or eaten at home? We tried them as a snack

- Texture -I lked it, DH didn't, DS's didn't try enough to make a judgement!
- Strength -of the cheese, Lovely, but DH and I both like strong cheese, far too strong for DS's.
- Packaging -DS's were enthusiatic about packaging, shame they were not about content!

If you or your DC could make one improvement to MU sticks what would it be and why? Less strong flavour.
~ are 100% cheddar - is this appealing to you? Why? -Yes, if I could get milder ones the boys will try and eat, they are not full of all the "extras" of other cheese stick products.
~ contain the equivalent of one 210ml glass of milk - is this appealing to you? Why? -Not really, as both DS's drink milk.
Overall, how important it is to you to ensure your children get their calcium intake right? -Very important.
Lastly do you think you would buy MU sticks again? Why? (RRP £1.35 for a pack of 4 sticks) Yes for my lunchbox, Maybe if they were milder for DS's.

Thanks again for the cheese(and cooler!

lucjam Wed 05-Sep-12 17:03:38

Going tomorrow to get mine hope they have them as its a good 20 mins in the car (but can combine with trip to M and S so not all bad).

BornToFolk Wed 05-Sep-12 20:03:04

Me and 4 year old DS. I threw one in DS's direction then got distracted talking to a neighbour and next thing I knew DS had polished it off. I'm pleased he managed the packet by himself and he said it was really yummy.

It was a snack. I'd definitely use the rest for lunchboxes now DS has demostrated that he can handle the packaging!

- Texture - me - good texture, it hasn't got that horrible rubber-like consistency of Cheese Strings etc. DS did not comment on texture

- Strength of the cheese - me - good. We normally eat extra mature chedder so are fans of strong cheese and this had a really good flavour. Made a nice change from usual single size packets of cheese that tend to be v mild (and a bit too bland for my taste). DS didn't comment on strength, just gobbled it down and said it was good!

- Packaging - me - good. Over-packaged, of course, but that's what you get with single size packets. DS - liked the cow!

Pricing. I can't see me buying them at 4 for £1.35, tbh.

~ are 100% cheddar - is this appealing to you? Why? It's appealing that it's 100% proper cheese, not processed etc.

~ contain the equivalent of one 210ml glass of milk - is this appealing to you? Why? Well, it's appealing as much as any other cheese in that respect!

It's important but not something I worry about too much as DS eats and drinks a good amount of dairy.

Well, if they stocked them in my local Tesco, it would be a start! For that price, I don't think I would buy them again, on a regular basis anyway. I would look out for them on special offer though, especially for picnics and other treats, as I did enjoy them more than other pre-packed cheese and so did DS. He doesn't really like Cheese Strings or mini Babybel so this would definitely be a contender if I was looking for a pre-packed product but for day-to-day lunchboxes and snacks, I'd rather cut a bit of cheese off a big block.

BiscuitNibbler Wed 05-Sep-12 21:37:00

Thanks very much for the cheese! Fedex delivered it today and as soon as DD discovered we had been sent cheese through the post she demanded to try it straight away. The first packet didn't even make it to the fridge!

Me and DD (age 3). We loved them, had two each as soon as we opened the parcel. DD said they were really tasty and would have eaten more if I had let her.

The first ones were eaten as a snack. I intend to use the rest in packed lunches and to take with me as a snack after DD's swimming lesson.

- Texture - DD too young to comment, but I thought it was gorgeous. I loved the smoothness, it felt very appealing in my mouth and tasted like a quality product.

- Strength of the cheese - We usually eat extra mature, so I was pleasantly surprised that this wasn't the usual cheap mild cheese that I have come to expect from pre-packaged cheese aimed at children.

- Packaging - At first I was disappointed as it looked very like the competition, and I automatically assumed it would be sweaty, plasticky, rubbish. It was a surprise when it was none of these. I am not sure how you will get over these assumptions from people who have tried and disliked the other products like this on the market. I liked the colours and the cow - it made your other products stand out on the supermarket shelf (even though this product wasn't available in my local Tesco).

If you or your DC could make one improvement to MU sticks what would it be and why? - Maybe do something to differentiate it from Cheese Strings? Also packets with more sticks in them?

~ are 100% cheddar - is this appealing to you? Why? Yes, cheese is lovely, there is no need to make it so processed for children.

~ contain the equivalent of one 210ml glass of milk - is this appealing to you? Why? Yes, it is good to know.

Overall, how important it is to you to ensure your children get their calcium intake right? It is, but DD gets adequate from milk. I don't drink milk, so it is actually useful for me to know for myself.

Lastly do you think you would buy MU sticks again? Why? (RRP £1.35 for a pack of 4 sticks) At first I thought "no", due to the price, however on reflection I think I will. If you look at the price of other snacks and sweets it compares favourably. On a day to day basis I would just cut up cheese from a block but if we were going for a picnic, a flight, or for taking as a post-swimming snack etc I would probably buy them for myself & DH as well as DD. I will probably investigate your blocks of cheese now to see if they have the lovely smooth texture!

Thank you very much for the chance to try this product, and for bothering to send it to me when it turned out that my local store didn't stock it despite it being on the list. I really appreciate it. I hope it does eventually get stocked there as I will definitely buy it and recommend it to others.

SetFiretotheRain Thu 06-Sep-12 01:20:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsShrek3 Thu 06-Sep-12 07:03:41

<bookmarking>
going to get them tomorrow. Called the other day but there were none in stock.

Silibilimili Thu 06-Sep-12 09:38:16

These are good but how are you differentiating yourself from the other cheese sticks? I really found little difference.

Baconsarnie Thu 06-Sep-12 22:15:19

Thanks for letting me try the cheese. Feedback below.
DS, at first. He's a big cheese fan, the main reason I wanted to try them out. He didn't finish either stick I gave him, saying he didn't like it. So, in the name of research, I finished them off for him. Very cheesy, tasted like proper cheese, rather than the plasticky stuff you normally get. I think DS (4) prefers the bland plasticky stuff. Since then, every time I've offered him one, he's declined. Again, very unusual. DP loves them though.
Always as a snack
- Texture
- Strength of the cheese
- Packaging
DS said he didn't like how it felt in his mouth (texture). I think he also disliked the strength of the cheese. He was able to unwrap it himself though, so thumbs up for the packaging. DP loved both strength and texture.

DS - more like babybel taste. me/DP - nothing.
~ are 100% cheddar - is this appealing to you? Why? Because then I know exactly what DS is eating.
~ contain the equivalent of one 210ml glass of milk - is this appealing to you? Why? It seems healthy for a growing child to eat/drink lots of calcium
Overall, how important it is to you to ensure your children get their calcium intake right? It's quite important to me, more than worrying they eat too much sugar for some reason. Seems lovely and wholesome! L
Lastly do you think you would buy MU sticks again? Why? (RRP £1.35 for a pack of 4 sticks) I would, but not for DS, more likely DP's lunchbox.

PopPig Thu 06-Sep-12 22:38:46

Who in your family ate the MU Sticks? *My DD (8) and DH
What was their verdict? They both really enjoyed them
When did they get eaten DD took hers in her lunchbox and DH had his as a snack
- Texture They thought the texture was grand- they didn't have any strong feelings about it
- Strength of the cheese They both really enjoyed the strength of the cheese, we love cheese in this house and they liked the fact it was fairly strong- especailly compared to other comparable cheese type sticks
- Packaging The packaging was appealing- DD particularly enjoyed the fun fact
If you or your DC could make one improvement to MU sticks what would it be and why? DH says nothing- DD said nothing, then a little while later said it would be 'cool' if you could peel them like cheese strings (lunchbox envy) bleugh
~ are 100% cheddar - is this appealing to you? Why? the fact they are 100% cheese is VERY important to me as the majority of these types of cheese products aimed at children are full of artificial preservatives etc
~ contain the equivalent of one 210ml glass of milk - is this appealing to you? Why? yes, DD probably doesn't drink enough milk
Overall, how important it is to you to ensure your children get their calcium intake right? very
Lastly do you think you would buy MU sticks again? Why? (RRP £1.35 for a pack of 4 sticks) I would probably buy them when they were on offer. tesco had them reduced to £1, would buy them in that instance, probably not full price when I could buy a block of cheese and get many more snacks from it.

thanks for letting us try the cheese DD (and DH) enjoyed it!

WorkInProgress Fri 07-Sep-12 13:06:14

Finally got some ! Unfortunately we don't like them, which is a shame considering I love strong cheese and my daughter loves cheese strings.

Myself and my daughter. She hated it and didn't finish it, I wasn't keen. I didn't like the texture on it's own, needed to be eaten with something as the flavour was so strong
Part of a snacky type lunch ( soup and bread )
- Texture
- Strength of the cheese
- Packaging

we didn't like the texture, too firm compared with other snack cheese. I liked the strength of the cheese but not on it's own. My daughter thought it was too strong.
Packaging Ok, does stand out. but looks expensive ( might be a good thing or a bad one)
Daughter would like them more like dairylea cheese strings !!!
I wouldn't buy them if they weren't
~ contain the equivalent of one 210ml glass of milk - is this appealing to you? Why? Not really. I think my children get enough milk and cheese
Not really as they like cheese and milk and eat plenty. worry more about fruit and veg !

No sorry. We didn't really like them. Would normally only buy this sort of product as a treat and we didn't like them !
But thanks for letting us take part.

BiscuitNibbler Fri 07-Sep-12 18:48:26

AnnMumsnet - Quick question!

I was kindly sent some cheese via Fedex as they weren't in my local store after all, but if they do turn up eventually in my local store could I still use the vouchers or is that just being unreasonable and greedy?

I really liked the product, so I will look out for it and buy it again, but I just remembered I still have the vouchers.

I will abide by your decision as I can't make up my mind if using them would be unreasonable.

lucjam Fri 07-Sep-12 18:57:30

Found them ok in Tesco, was lucky got the two packets!

Me, DD (age 10), DS (age 6) and DH. We liked them, DD the most, DS said the were a little bit nice, DS said they were alright (thats hig praise from him), I liked them.

They were eaten by the kids as a pre dinner snack (we're staaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrviiiiing), DH ate his with beans on toast I ate mine whilst cooking dinner.

- Texture - Everyone thought it was nice and smooth, I thought the outside was a bit too smooth

- Strength of the cheese - it was stronger than mild but not ultra strong, I don't like it too strong, DD thought it was a bit strong.

- Packaging - was ok I quite like the cow like stuff.

If you or your DC could make one improvement to MU sticks what would it be and why? - they could be a tad smaller IMO and there could then be 6 in the pack, they seem quite big.

~ are 100% cheddar - is this appealing to you? Why? Yes, better than horrible processed rubbish

~ contain the equivalent of one 210ml glass of milk - is this appealing to you? Why? Yes it is appealing, everyone wants to make sure their kids get enough calcium

Overall, how important it is to you to ensure your children get their calcium intake right? It is, see above

Lastly do you think you would buy MU sticks again? Why? (RRP £1.35 for a pack of 4 sticks) If on special offer, otherwise I just cut up normal cheee its not too hard realy is it!!

madbutnotbad Sat 08-Sep-12 09:45:07

Who in the family ate the cheddar sticks? - myself, my dd1 (4) and dd2 (2).

We all liked them but my youngest couldn't manage a whole one so I had to help her!

We had them at home for a snack and in the car as a snack on the way shopping.

I liked the strength and packaging of the cheese but felt the texture could be better, my dd's liked the "feel" of the cheese and said it tasted good, had no interest in the packaging.

I was pleased to know that I was giving my children something that was a quick and easy snack but was still decent food.

We will buy these again if they get stocked in our local Tesco as we had to travel to the next town to get them even though our local Tesco is a large "extra" store.

insanityscratching Sat 08-Sep-12 10:19:04

Dd 9 and adult ds ate them. They both enjoyed them ds said he could eat a packet to himself.

The majority were eaten at home as a snack, dd took one in her lunchbox and had one in the car along with other nibbles when we were travelling

- Texture
- Strength of the cheese
- Packaging

Dd and ds thought they were more cheesy than cheesestrings and dd managed to open them herself where she finds cheesestrings tricky

More in a pack as four doesn't go very far tbh, perhaps the option of buying them in packs of 8 or 12.

It's nice to know that they are snacking on something with nutritional value.

Very important so that they have healthy teeth and bones.

Yes I already have as on offer at Tesco last week.

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 08-Sep-12 16:08:15

BiscuitNibbler - am sure that would be absolutely fine!!!

BiscuitNibbler Sat 08-Sep-12 16:34:46

Thanks Ann!

UmamiOrange Sat 08-Sep-12 18:38:06

The only feedback that I have to give is that the vouchers were clearly too small and not brightly coloured enough, as it appears my DH recycled them angry

MrsJohnDeere Sun 09-Sep-12 09:36:40

DS1 aged 6, DS2 aged 4, and me. DS2 liked them, and said they were even nicer than the (vile!) Cheestrings that he adores (the purple/yellow packaging ones). Ds1 took one mouthful and said 'yuck' then spat it out. He is a fan of 'normal' cheese but doesn't like other cheese sticks or strings. I tried it and thought it as quite unpleasant, to be honest, but I'm probably not the target market. BUT ours were delivered by courier (out of stock at out nearest store) and I think they may have suffered a bit from being in transit for several hours, so may not have tasted quite right.

Eaten in the car by DS2, snack after school for DS1

- Texture
ds2 liked, I found it too plasticky. Again this may have been because they got a bit too hot in transit

- Strength of the cheese
fine for ds1, ds2 said too strong BUT he's a fan of Waitrose mature cheddar. I thought odd rather than too strong for my taste, but I could see how small children might find them too strong

- Packaging
excellent. Would stand out on the shelves of the supermarket. Distinctive branding

adjust the taste slightly so it tastes more like normal cheese

great, better than adding lots of yucky stuff to it

great way of getting milk into reluctant milk drinkers. Both my Dcs like drinking milk and have cereal so it's not a huge issue for us

very

Lastly do you think you would buy MU sticks again? Why? (RRP £1.35 for a pack of 4 sticks).
*quite possibly for lunch boxes. Convenience, and reasonable price (cheaper than the purple/yellow ones, I think)

Thank you for letting us try these. We found it a lot of fun!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now