Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests being run by Mumsnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test, please email insight@mumsnet.com. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic.

NOW CLOSED Aldi nappies and wipes - tester feedback thread

(108 Posts)
KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 22-May-12 12:39:06

This thread is for all the Mumsnet research panellists who've been trying out Aldi nappies and wipes with their baby/child. Below are some questions to get you started but please feel free to add other comments too. Everyone who adds their feedback on this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a hamper of goodies from Aldi worth £50!

Please state the age of your baby/child and the size of nappy you were trying in your response.

Q1 What was your overall impression of Aldi nappies? Did they fit your baby/child? How did they feel?
Q2 How did they compare with other nappies you've used? Did they do the job they were intended for? Any leaks?
Q3 What did you think of the nappy packaging? Was it easy or difficult to open? What about the information on the packaging?
Q4 How did you find the wipes to use? Did you notice any difference between the normal and sensitive skin wipes? Did you find you had to use more, less or the same amount of wipes as you usually do?
Q5 Is there anything about the nappies, wipes, appearance or packaging that you think could be improved? If so, what?
Q6 We've included some info on how much Aldi nappies cost below - do you think that they're good value for money or not? Why? And how about the wipes - do you think they're good value or not?
Q7 Do you think you'll use the nappies again? What about the wipes? If so, why? If not, why not?
Q8 If it came up in conversation, do you think you'd recommend Aldi nappies to other parents of children or babies in nappies? If so, why? If not, why not? And would you recommend the wipes?

Mamia New Born Nappies - £1.79, per pack of 24
Mamia Mini Nappies - £3.49, per pack of 44
Mamia Midi Nappies - £4.99, per pack of 54
Mamia Maxi Nappies - £4.99, per pack of 48
Mamia Junior Nappies - £4.99, per pack of 42
Mamia Comfy Up Pants - £3.49, per pack of 22
Mamia Baby Wipes - 79p, per pack of 80
See here for more info.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw.

MNHQ

tostaky Wed 13-Jun-12 10:51:54

tested on a newborn, from 0 to 3 weeks. newborn size

Q1 What was your overall impression of Aldi nappies? Did they fit your baby/child? How did they feel?

Yes they fitted well my child. i like the sticky bit better than the pampers one because theres less material around it, so it feels easier to stick it where i want to stick it rather than just try to stick itproperly as best as i can.
also they dont smell half as bad as pampers do.

Q2 How did they compare with other nappies you've used? Did they do the job they were intended for? Any leaks?

did the job, no better or worse than pampers

Q3 What did you think of the nappy packaging? Was it easy or difficult to open? What about the information on the packaging?

ok - i didnt really paid attention to the pavkaging to be honest

Q4 How did you find the wipes to use? Did you notice any difference between the normal and sensitive skin wipes? Did you find you had to use more, less or the same amount of wipes as you usually do?

yes they were fine. i used the same amount as usual

Q5 Is there anything about the nappies, wipes, appearance or packaging that you think could be improved? If so, what?

no, they are great as they are.

Q6 We've included some info on how much Aldi nappies cost below - do you think that they're good value for money or not? Why? And how about the wipes - do you think they're good value or not?

Good value for money.

Q7 Do you think you'll use the nappies again? What about the wipes? If so, why? If not, why not?

im not a big fan of wipes as i prefer cotton and water.
i would reuse the nappies again becaus ethey dnt smell of chemicals as much as the pampers one + i like the sticky bit better. only problem is i dont shop in aldi and i dont know where is the nearest one... so i probably wont get the chance o use them again...

Q8 If it came up in conversation, do you think you'd recommend Aldi nappies to other parents of children or babies in nappies? If so, why? If not, why not? And would you recommend the wipes?
yes for the nappies, id recommend them because they dont smell of chemicals as badly as some do.

scratchviolet Wed 13-Jun-12 13:53:14

I tested the mini nappies on my 3/4 week old and the wipes on my 2 year old.

Really liked them - very pleasantly surprised and what good quality they seemed. Fit very well, and very soft compared to Pampers and the eco nappies we also used to the first few weeks.

No leaks at all, were lovely and soft - more so than competitors

Packaging fine - not too garish, size info clear

I just used the sensitive wipes which were fine on DD1. We usually use pampers sensitive. These seemed a bit drier (not better or worse, just different - didn't seem to need to use more) and the packet was difficult to open - it kept getting stuck. But overall I liked them.

nothing comes to mind

very good value

I will - we don't have an Aldi that near but would go to stock up.

Yes I'd recommend the nappies. I'd be less inclined to positively recommend the wipes - I'd say they are fine, whereas the nappies I think are better than others I've used

dreamingofanallotment Thu 14-Jun-12 19:56:50

I tested the newborn nappies and sensitive wipes on my 1-2 week old.

Q.1
We really liked the nappies. They were soft, easy to put on and the fit was good. Felt nicely thick - not thin and insubstantial, and not overly padded.

q. 2
We preferred them to the pampers, Huggies and Eco nappies we also used. No leaks and contained lots of wet newborn poo!

Q. 3
Can't really remember much about the packaging to be honest - it seemed to tell me everything I needed to know though and was easy to open.

Q.4
Didn't use the wipes much as I prefer cotton wool and water. When I did use them, they were ok - did the job but seemed quite dry and I didn't like the smell, seemed quite artificial.

Q. 5
Nothing I can think of.

Q.6
Very good value

Q.7
Will definitely buy the nappies, probably not the wipes as I'm planning to stick with cotton wool and water for the time being and then may use reusable wipes.

Q.8
I have already recommended the nappies and would do so again. Probably not the wipes as I think there are better wipes available.

MerylStrop Fri 15-Jun-12 14:57:19

I tested the size 5 nappies on my 24 month old

Q1 overall, they seem fine. DS liked the pictures on them. Felt soft. Fit was ok. Bit saggy round the back and when v full bit loose round the legs

Q2 Not as good a fit as Pampers Active Fit, nor as slim/comfy, nor a capacious. Easily as good as if not better than Huggies. Tiny bit leaky round the legs on occasion. Pampers can be a bit chemical smelly, this not a problem with Aldi nappies.

Q3 Packaging was fine, did not take much notice of the info!

Q4 Wipes were good. Packaging not v attractive but can live with that!

Q5 the slight bulkiness and fit of the nappies

Q6 nappies - very good value
wipes- average value - can get cheaply in home bargains so not such markedly good VFM

Q7 i'd happily use the nappies again, but rarely go to aldi as requires a car journey

Q8 I'd recommend them as a cheaper alternative

Boomerwang Fri 15-Jun-12 19:40:03

I have now tested the wipes and I think they're the best I've used. They aren't too moist nor too dry imo. Towards the end of the pack they get wetter but it's not a problem. The pack closes very simply with one hand and opens easily also. The wipes stay moist and the pack lasts forever. The wipes are large so you can get away with using less per change. I really like them.

WhenDoISleep Sat 16-Jun-12 12:42:17

I tested the Mini Nappies and the sensitive wipes with DS2 (now six weeks old) over the last couple of weeks

Overall impression was positive, fit was good and the nappies felt reasonable soft.

The nappies compared fine with our usual brand, but seemed to have less of a 'waistband' (area without absorbant material). They did the job fine but I did seem to have to change DS a little more frequently, particularly at night. With our usual brand we can normally go 6 hrs (12am - 6am) with no change but when using the Aldi nappies I had to change DS at 4am a couple of times. We had a few (wee) leaks, but we have the ocassionally leak with our usual nappies as well.

Packaging was fine, contained all the information I needed and the sizing was prominent and easy to understand. TBH, beyond checking the size and transporting the nappies I take very little notice of the packaging, which I discard as I store the nappies in a basket under the changing table.

We really liked the wipes. Must less wet than other brands and relly did a good job. I think I used less wipes per change, mostly becasue the wipes came easily out of the package, not stuck together like our usual brand can sometimes. I also really like the flip lid style of pacakging for the wipes - I find the wipes dry up less than when the package is a reasealable style. DH also liked the decorations on the wipes.

Possibly more of a waistband on the nappies to reduce the risk of leaks.

Nappies are good value for money, especially when compared to the brand we would normally buy - not only are the packs cheaper they also contain more napppies. The wipes are also good value.

I most likely would not use the nappies again, purely because we are moving on to using cloth nappies now DS is getting a little bigger. We are also now using cloth wipes. I would however use the wipes again when out and about and also for general cleaning of sticky hands etc. if it were not for the fact that my nearest Aldi is at least a 30 min drive away. Next time we are in that area though we are intending to call in to Aldi and stock up on wipes.

I would recomend both products as they are good value for money and do the job they are designed to do.

Filibear Thu 28-Jun-12 09:44:52

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 28-Jun-12 11:26:13

Thanks to everyone who added their feedback - Aldi have found it really useful.

I'm pleased to announce that the winner of the prize draw is...

billgrangersrisotto

Congratulations - you've won a £50 hamper! I'll PM you to get your details

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now