This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

NOW CLOSED Aldi nappies and wipes - tester feedback thread

(108 Posts)
KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 22-May-12 12:39:06

This thread is for all the Mumsnet research panellists who've been trying out Aldi nappies and wipes with their baby/child. Below are some questions to get you started but please feel free to add other comments too. Everyone who adds their feedback on this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a hamper of goodies from Aldi worth £50!

Please state the age of your baby/child and the size of nappy you were trying in your response.

Q1 What was your overall impression of Aldi nappies? Did they fit your baby/child? How did they feel?
Q2 How did they compare with other nappies you've used? Did they do the job they were intended for? Any leaks?
Q3 What did you think of the nappy packaging? Was it easy or difficult to open? What about the information on the packaging?
Q4 How did you find the wipes to use? Did you notice any difference between the normal and sensitive skin wipes? Did you find you had to use more, less or the same amount of wipes as you usually do?
Q5 Is there anything about the nappies, wipes, appearance or packaging that you think could be improved? If so, what?
Q6 We've included some info on how much Aldi nappies cost below - do you think that they're good value for money or not? Why? And how about the wipes - do you think they're good value or not?
Q7 Do you think you'll use the nappies again? What about the wipes? If so, why? If not, why not?
Q8 If it came up in conversation, do you think you'd recommend Aldi nappies to other parents of children or babies in nappies? If so, why? If not, why not? And would you recommend the wipes?

Mamia New Born Nappies - £1.79, per pack of 24
Mamia Mini Nappies - £3.49, per pack of 44
Mamia Midi Nappies - £4.99, per pack of 54
Mamia Maxi Nappies - £4.99, per pack of 48
Mamia Junior Nappies - £4.99, per pack of 42
Mamia Comfy Up Pants - £3.49, per pack of 22
Mamia Baby Wipes - 79p, per pack of 80
See here for more info.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw.

MNHQ

VJayazzle Sat 26-May-12 21:53:53

My ds is 2.8 years old, and we tested the size 5 nappies.

Q1 The nappies were fine, fit well and we got no complaints for ds, no rashes, he was comfortable.

Q2 They were the similar to the nappies I have been using lately (Asdas own), there were no leaks and did the job, fully, as inteneded.

Q3 The nappy packaging was fine and easy enough to open. The information that I was interested in was all there, so happy with that.

Q4 the wipes were brilliant, and I couldn't believe how cheap they were, I will definatly be buying them in the future. They were strong and as wet as they shoued be. I was able to use less wipes than I usually use.

Q5 I don't think there is anything you could improve on, they all did what the were supposed to woth no problems.

Q6 I think the nappies are about average for value, but the wipes are excellent values for money.

Q7 Yes I will be using both again, if I'm in aldi buying the wipes, I will pick up the nappies too.

Q8 I already have! I've recommended both.

BlastOff Sat 26-May-12 22:40:29

We tested size 4/4+ Maxi nappies for our 11 month old.

Q1

In general I thought they felt good. I noticed the waist wasn't especially stretchy, although this didn't matter at all, despite my ds being on the 98th centile, they fitted well.
I liked the pictures - I don't like the branded cartoons particularly and I thought the little pictures were sweet and not too sickly.

Q2

Brilliant, I was really impressed. No leaks (unlike Sainsbos and Huggies). Much the same as Pampers for us. Also, didn't get that massive bulging you can get with some when they are full.

Q3

Actually, I struggled to get into the bog packet - I couldn't find a perforated opening. But still, opened ok.

Q4

Like the fact you don't get hundreds out each time you try to only get one. Good wetness - not too damp and not too dry. Slightly chemically smell I wasn't that keen on.

Q5

Not keen on the smell of the wipes - I like to use wipes ubiquitously and have a pack in my handbag, but I wouldn't have been keen on these for sticky fingers etc.

Q6

I think they are excellent value. As good as my usual brand (Pampers) and pretty much half the price (and still cheaper even when they are on offer)

Q7

Yes to the nappies if I'm near Aldi (although I don't normally shop there) and I think I may well change to them. I've been looking for a cheaper nappy and these fit the bill perfectly. Better for us than their competitors when price matched. No to the wipes (as above).

Q8

Yes, I would definitely recommend the nappies. I think they are excellent and well priced.

Avver Sun 27-May-12 13:34:54

I tested the Mamia newborn nappies and sensitive wipes on my DS - 3 weeks old at the time.

I have recently returned from Aldi where I've stocked up with these marvellous creations, so taken was I with them. I also appear to have bought a gazebo. And an awful lot of chocolate blush

Please state the age of your baby/child and the size of nappy you were trying in your response.

Q1 What was your overall impression of Aldi nappies? Did they fit your baby/child? How did they feel?

Excellent fit, just enough give in the waistband and nice and stretchy around the legs. I liked the firmer paper-like feel.

Q2 How did they compare with other nappies you've used? Did they do the job they were intended for? Any leaks?

They are honestly the ONLY newborn nappies I have EVER used that have not leaked. Amazing. Every single supermarket own and premium brand that I tried on DS1 and in the first couple of weeks of DS2 have leaked. Not Mamia. Hurray! I also liked that they were a little firmer than most premium brands are these days. I don't like them too soft and fabric-like, it makes them less fitting and absorbant.

Q3 What did you think of the nappy packaging? Was it easy or difficult to open? What about the information on the packaging?

I did my usual 'rip anywhere' routine as I take all nappies out of the plastic for storage. I saw the info about how they are tested against premium brands and was impressed by that.

Q4 How did you find the wipes to use? Did you notice any difference between the normal and sensitive skin wipes? Did you find you had to use more, less or the same amount of wipes as you usually do?

They were a good texture and thick enough that I only had to use 2/3 even for a big mess. I only had the sensitive skin wipes but actually found them a bit 'chemically' for a very small baby. I tried them on myself and found that they stung me!

Q5 Is there anything about the nappies, wipes, appearance or packaging that you think could be improved? If so, what?

Nappies - I don't think they need the cutesy design. There is already overload of ickle bunnies and fluffy teddy nonsense all over newborn stuff as it is. Plain please! Also, the wipes don't need the plastic closure. It was too stiff to open with one hand so a real pain when in the process of changing a wriggling baby.

Q6 We've included some info on how much Aldi nappies cost below - do you think that they're good value for money or not? Why? And how about the wipes - do you think they're good value or not?

The nappies are excellent value in comparison to premium brands as they perform better! I buy a particular brand of wipe in bulk when on offer so the wipes aren't quite as good value especially as I wasn't as impressed with their formulation.

Q7 Do you think you'll use the nappies again? What about the wipes? If so, why? If not, why not?

Nappies - yes, definitely. Already have, in fact. Wipes - maybe when DS is older and his skin is a bit hardier and I've run out of my bulk-bought branded wipes.

Q8 If it came up in conversation, do you think you'd recommend Aldi nappies to other parents of children or babies in nappies? If so, why? If not, why not? And would you recommend the wipes?

Nappies - yes, in fact I already have converted some of my friends! Wipes - probably not.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to try them out.

kez1212 Sun 27-May-12 15:52:19

I tested the size 2 nappies on my 11 week old DS2

I LOVE these nappies! They fitted really well, felt soft and not scratchy like some cheaper ones can. The decoration was nice, unisex and discreet.

I had stocked up on Huggies recently due to a Baby Event and have been very disappointed with them. The Aldi nappies have been fab, no leaks at all, a really good fit. They did what they needed to do!

The packaging was fine, easy to open and had all the relevant information clearly displayed.

The wipes were hard to get into at first, not helpful at changing time! They were not overly perfumed which I liked. They were however, very dry. I had to use more than I would normally which I did not like. I dont like it when wipes are really wet but these felt like there was hardly any moisture there at all.

The nappies are fab!
The wipes needed to be easier to open and needed to be wetter.

I think the nappies are excellent value, a quality product at a very reasonable price. I dont think the wipes are good value as I needed to use so many, false economy.

I'm converted to the nappies! We will definately be buying those again. The wipes I will not be buying, prefer to stay with my current brand.

I have already recommended the nappies! They are as good as premium brands at almost half the price! I would not recommend the wipes as i do not feel they are value for money or as good as other wipes on the market.

Thank you!

PenguinArmy Sun 27-May-12 21:09:19

7 months, size 3

Q1 Fit very well

Q2 Had no problems with leaks and feel as good a s other supermarket brands (and a lot better than huggies which conned me with their BOGOF)

Q3 Quite hard to get the first few nappies out I founds

Q4 Good texture, but a bit thin and dry. had to use more for dryer solid nappies.

Q5 I liked the plastic lid on the wipes but a bit confused as when we brought some from the shop they did not have this feature,

Q6 Wipes are good value for money. Don't know about nappies as we only use them overnight so don't know the price of other nappies we use.

If we were near a ALDI store we would purchase some, nappies paticularly.

Q8 I would mention them

toddlerama Mon 28-May-12 09:50:16

I was sent newborn nappies and wipes. I was really impressed! No leaks, as good as any other brand and wipes were gentle and didn't come out in a huge handful when I blindly snatched in the night. We have an aldi near us so I will definitely buy again - tescos own brand were crap for us and leaky do aldi being cheaper and better makes them a no brainer smile

Anchorwoman Mon 28-May-12 10:08:54

I was trying the mini nappies for 8 week old dc

Overall impression was very good. The fit was right, just as I had hoped it would be from the description and for the age of dd. They felt very soft and flexible, surprisingly so and this compared very well to the other brands I had tried.

They felt extremely soft and flexible compared to the other brands I have used. Yes they did the job well and no leaking.

Packaging was fine and the info on the packaged seemed appropriate. I only really look for size information when I'm buying though.

At first I was expecting to be disappointed with the wipes. I found the flip top, though a good idea, very difficult to open and then it didn't seem to close up properly. The wipes were dryer than I'm used to with other brands and I thought I would have to wet them to be effective. However they were just as effective as others I'd used. I dont know if I got a duff pack, but you do need to make sure the pack is easy to open and close if you're going to have a flip lid, as otherwise you might as well not bother and simply have a peel back opening. Also the wipes did start to dry out altogether very quickly when it was left open.

No, I can't think of anything other than the comments above re wipes packaging.

Yes, very good value indeed. Makes me wonder how you've managed to produce them and sell them for this price bracket though!

Yes I would use them again.

Yes I'd recommend the nappies. Not sure I'd recommend the wipes because of the fiddly opening. Unless the dodgy flip lid was just a one off, in which case I would recommend them.

lilbreeze Mon 28-May-12 12:16:45

I have 3 DDs - a newborn (2 weeks), a 2-year-old and a 4-year-old. I tested the wipes on the newborn and the pull-ups on the other two (nighttime only). Didn't get sent any newborn nappies for testing.

The pull-ups felt just as good quality as the brands I usually use (usually Huggies Little Walkers / Pampers / Tesco). They were a little too big for my 2-year-old (she is just below the weight range) but fine on my 4-year-old.

Just as good as my normal ones, no leaks, but were falling down a bit on my 2yo when she walked around in the morning having worn them all night.

Easy to open. Never read any of the packaging except to check size / weight range.

The wipes were fine, similar to most wipes and I probably used the same amount too. However by choice I only use Huggies Pure wipes as they're made of paper not synthetic materials so feel much nicer.

The pull-ups need to come in more sizes - one size only which was too big for DD2 (aged 2.9). I would also prefer the wipes to be paper not synthetic.

Amazing value! I usually buy nappies in Jumbo pack deals from Asda but these still work out cheaper. Wipes good value too, although I don't pay much more usually (again on multipack deals from Asda).

I would consider using the pull-ups again, or trying the newborn nappies. I have an Aldi fairly near but have never been. Maybe I will try it now!

I would recommend them if someone was specifically looking to save money on nappies/wipes and didn't seem concerned about brand.

Haribojoe Mon 28-May-12 13:40:12

I have tested Aldi nappies and wipes before, this time I was testing the products on my 7 week old DD. The nappies were size 2 and the wipes were the fragrance free type.

I was very pleased with the wipes and the nappies. I like the look of the nappies, especially the fact that they are plain with pattern just on the waistband.

I found the fit of the nappies to be excellent with no leaks, even when faced with explosive breastfed poo!

The wipes were effective and not too moist which is a problem I've encountered with other brands. I liked the packaging and images/colours used.

My only criticism is that the plastic lid on the wipes isvery difficult to open one handed which I thinking important when trying to baby wrangle!

I think that both the nappies and the wipes represent excellent value for money.

I would and have recommended both products to friends as for me they are the best nappies and wipes on the market (and as a mum of 4 I've used a lot of nappies!)

Lastyearsmodel Mon 28-May-12 13:55:06

Look ok, fit fine, feel less substantial than branded nappies.
No leaks, happy with performance.
Easy to open. Info was enough.
Only sent sensitive wipes. Packet v hard to open esp with one hand as you often have to do with pooey wriggly toddlers. Seemed quite dry so have to use more. Would rather use unfragranced.
Q5 Is there anything about the nappies, wipes, appearance or packaging that you think could be improved? If so, what? Wipes opening as above
Q6 We've included some info on how much Aldi nappies cost below - do you think that they're good value for money or not? Why? And how about the wipes - do you think they're good value or not? Ok value. Nearest aldi is 5 miles but would consider if nearer
Q7 Do you think you'll use the nappies again? What about the wipes? If so, why? If not, why not? As above, if I'm in aldi I will pick up nPpies.
Q8 If it came up in conversation, do you think you'd recommend Aldi nappies to other parents of children or babies in nappies? If so, why? If not, why not? And would you recommend the wipes? No. Not significantly cheaper or better quality.

disparatefishwife Mon 28-May-12 14:57:28

Baby boy 8 months size 3

The nappies look good and feel quite 'solid' in comparison to our usual nappies. I found the nappies a much better fit than the Pampers we currently use.

I didn't experience any leakage issues whereas we often have issues with overfull nappies with our usual brand.

The nappies were packed nice and compactly. I didn't experience any issues opening them despite the fact that they don't have serrations for ease of opening. The information was basic but to be honest all I want o know is what size baby they'll fit!

I was sent the sensitive wipes to try. I found the hard plastic lid very difficult to prise open and found the wipes themselves very dry. They were far too dry to effectively clean, especially when cleaning sticky poo I had to abandon them and use my usual Johnson's brand. I would have to use a lot more than usual to really clean after a dirty nappy.

I think that the wipes lid is a good idea but very difficult to open so that could be improved. There is nothing wrong with the nappy packaging but it could do with being a bit more attractive to have on display and made from more sturdy material making it easier to store and more portable.
In my opinion the wipes definitely need more moisture.

I think the nappies are fantastic value for money, they are bigger than other brands of the same size, feel sturdier and do not leak.
I think the wipes are very poor value: they are too dry, they don't need a design on them which costs more to make and the hard plastic sealable lid is unnecessary considering the length of time the pack lasts.

I will definitely use the nappies again, they're the best value and fit that I've used and I've tried most brands!
I would not use the wipes again as they're too dry for cleaning poo and don't perform the job well enough.

I would recommend the nappies as you get so much for your money. I would not recommend the wipes as they are not good enough.
Im happy to tell people that I'm using nappies from Aldi.

Tested the comfy up pants and sensitive wipes with ds3 age 2

the packaging seemed nice, the nappies seemed to fit well.

there were no leaks, they are a good quality considering the price. did exactly what was expected.

the packaging was similar colours to pampers easy ups, the packaging ripped open easy enough.

the Wipes were a pain to open but the quality was really good they were so thick. i used less thn usual due to the thickness.

A variety of images on the nappies for the pull ups perhaps, and a change of main colour so as not to be copying pampers?

I think that the cost of the nappies are great value.

unfortunately my son developed a rash round the waistband so i will not buy them but if he had not had the reaction I would buy again. i would buy the wipes again if i wan passing an aldi.

Probably but i don't know anyone with babies in nappies anymore.
I really was impressed with them.

costumequeen Tue 29-May-12 09:27:59

I thought they were great - slightly slimmer than the usual ones I use but no leaks or problems.
Apart from an ecaping poo the first time she wore them, they were as good as my usual brand (Lidl!) and better than some of the bigger names - Huggies for example.
Nappy packaging was fine - easy to open, all info straightforward and easy to read.
The wipes were fine - not too thin but could do with being a bit wetter. We had sensitive and they caused no problems.
The nappies were great, but I found the plastic lid on the wipes a bit stiff, which made it difficult to open and close during a change. It ended up being left open and the wipes dried out as a result, so we used them up quicker.
Yes i think both are really good value for money.
If I was in Aldi I would definitely buy the nappies as they are a fantastic price and do the job brilliantly, although the wipes were no great shakes for me so I wouldn't go out of the way to buy them.
Yes I would (and have) recommend the nappies, but I would be more likely to recommend a different brand of wipes due to the reasons listed above.

celebmum Tue 29-May-12 11:29:19

oh bugger just did a nice detailed reply and then mumsnet went offline just as i clicked post! damn!

i used the junior size 5s on DS aged 2.2.

Q1 What was your overall impression of Aldi nappies? Did they fit your baby/child? How did they feel? - thought they looked cheap, the outside of the nappy was cute but the insides looked basic, 'square' and uncomfortable. the size 5s fit DS but were snug. velcro tabs were good/strong but i thought he nappy sagged a bit too much after just a few hours wear.

Q2 How did they compare with other nappies you've used? Did they do the job they were intended for? Any leaks? no leaks, buT noticed a bit of a lingering 'wee' smell around DS which i have never noticed before! nappies changed frequently too!

Q3 What did you think of the nappy packaging? Was it easy or difficult to open? What about the information on the packaging? packaging was fine, no issues.

Q4 How did you find the wipes to use? Did you notice any difference between the normal and sensitive skin wipes? Did you find you had to use more, less or the same amount of wipes as you usually do? wipes werent as wet as my usual brand, i found i used 1 or 2 more each time. especially on sticky bum changes! but they did the job required. occasionaly ended up with a trail o 5/6 wipes tho when i only wanted 1! however ive yet to find any wipes that dont do this!. smell was mild yet pleasant.

Q5 Is there anything about the nappies, wipes, appearance or packaging that you think could be improved? If so, what? as i said above i didnt like the cheapy look of the nappies on the insides. leak wise etc this didnt affect the use of the nappy but i dnt think DS found them as comfotable as normal.

Q6 We've included some info on how much Aldi nappies cost below - do you think that they're good value for money or not? Why? And how about the wipes - do you think they're good value or not? i supose that yes they aregood value if you are prepared to go for a lesser quality brand. wipes i thought were better overall.

Q7 Do you think you'll use the nappies again? What about the wipes? If so, why? If not, why not? id prob pick up a few packs of wipes next time i was in aldi but i wouldnt go there specifically for them. nappies i prob wouldnt use again.

Q8 If it came up in conversation, do you think you'd recommend Aldi nappies to other parents of children or babies in nappies? If so, why? If not, why not? And would you recommend the wipes? id probably say that id tried them, they were ok. but i wouldnt rave about them.

catonlap Tue 29-May-12 16:40:41

Age of child 2yrs, size 5 nappies.

They looked good. They felt nice and soft. They fit her well.

They seemed to be as good as any other nappy I've used. No leaks. I used them on her day and night.

The packaging was fine. No problem to open it.

The wipes were not as thick and I had to use more.

I found the packaging all fine. The appearance of the nappies was good. The wipes looked thin.

I think the nappies were very good value, cheaper yet just as good as my previous nappies.
The wipes, although cheaper were just not as good and so not really good value. Or at leat the same value.

Yes I would use the nappies again. Not the wipes - just because they were too thin.

I would recommend the nappies but not particularly the wipes.

EddieIzzardIsMine Tue 29-May-12 16:44:51

I've still not got mine.... sad

Boomerwang Wed 30-May-12 00:10:50

I tested size 2 newborn nappies on my 9 week old premature baby (approx 3.9kg)

They were thin like pampers, which made me hope that they were ultra absorbent just like 'Always' sanitary towels compared to mattress towels. The fit was awkward on my baby as the nappy isn't as stretchy as other brands, but it stayed on. The pattern on it was fine. Patterns are not important.

I've tried Pampers, Libero, Huggies and a Swedish supermarket brand. Compared to all I have tried, Aldi nappies are adequately absorbent, yet always leave my baby's bottom feeling cold and wet, unlike the other brands. The other brands also seem to fit better. Either they are stretchier, such as Pampers, or they have wider tabs, such as Huggies. I found that the Huggies leaked, whereas the Aldi nappies did not. Pampers is number one for absorbing poop, to the point where it sticks to her bottom because the poop is so dry. I confess after the failure regarding urine, I have not allowed Aldi nappies to be used on my baby when I think she is about to have a bowel movement. I do not have enough confidence in them.

The packaging had a huge number visible, along with the baby weight guidance. This makes it convenient and simple to pick out when shopping. It was very easy to open. I did not peruse any more information than the nappy size and weight.

Sorry, I have not yet tested the wipes. I notice that others have complained of a strong scent. I would like to point out that although I have no preference between scented and unscented wipes, there is no need for scent to be added to a wipe. It ends up in a bin.

A little more stretch needs to be added to the nappy tabs. A cut out is also helpful for those babies who still have their umbilical cord attached. the absorbency of the nappy is fine, however some kind of mesh cover needs to be implemented to stop the nappy sticking to baby's bottom and leaving it cold and wet. I also believe the band around the nappy which adheres to the tabs could be wider or lower so that the tabs fit better around baby's waist rather than stomach to ease pressure after a feed, yet keep the nappy secured against urine and faeces.

I believe the nappies and wipes are good value. However, because of the issue raised above about nappies staying wet to the skin, I would use more nappies in a day, so it may be a false economy. I have no complaints about the price of the wipes. 80 for 79p is a bargain.

I would use the nappies again but only for the daytime and at home when they could be changed more frequently. I would not make a trip to Aldi specifically to buy these nappies despite the price. I have not tested the wipes.

I would not recommend Aldi nappies unless the conversation was about the cost of nappies. I have not tested the wipes.

ProfCoxWouldGetIt Wed 30-May-12 09:41:21

We tried the Junior size 5 nappies for DD (2,6)

They nappies looked nice, and I liked the cheery animal prints on them. But I found they hung/drooped a lot at the back.

We had one leak, DD was due to have her nappy changed, so it was after she’d worn it for 2 hours, but when we picked her up, wee squeezed out the nappy. We didn’t use these nappies at night as we’ve only found one nappy that doesn’t leak and that’s the huggies superdry

The packaging was fine, although it would have been nice to have the tear strip stretch to the other side to make it easier to get the second half of the nappies out, but I really am picking holes by mentioning that

We only received one pack of wipes (but our package arrived late and had already been opened when it arrived) , and we found we used more of them as they were very very dry, and DD even complained they were scratchy. I did love the easy open and close lid – so much better than the sticky ones.

I’m not sure what caused it, but DD came out in a horrible rash all over her nappy area we changed her back to pampers and within hours it cleared up, so we put her back and the rash came back. DD has never had sensitive skin, nor reacted to anything like this before so we were really shocked to see this. The tabs on the nappies could have had a bit more stretch in them.
Also the wipes could have been wetter, it was almost like using dry loo roll.

I think they’re good value if you’re happy with the product – unfortunately we weren’t so will be sticking to other brands

Nope never again, given DD’s reaction to the nappies and the wipes, we actually still have half the nappies left which we’re going to give to a neighbour who loves aldi nappies

I would recommend them based on price, but I wouldn’t recommend them to new borns or any child with sensitive skin or other allergies and I would not recommend the wipes (although I really liked the packaging.

AlmaMartyr Wed 30-May-12 11:21:05

I quite liked them. They fitted DS fine and looked quite comfortable. The feel was OK, fairly standard.
No leaks at all which was good, and seemed to soak up urine well. I normally use Lidl's nappies and they've been excellent so no particular improvement although they did seem slightly more comfortable (less red marks). DS's recurring nappy rash seemed a bit better as well. I liked the design on the nappy, quite cute and no branding.
Packaging was easy to use so reasonably happy with that. They seemed clearly labelled. The look was very similar to some brand name nappies (I thought) which does put me off a bit.
The wipes were fine, not sure about normal/sensitive skin since we only had one pack. I liked the wipes packaging, and they seemed to cope pretty well. I normally use Huggies which I like because of the texture and I'd carry on using those because they work just a little bit better.
I'd make the packaging a bit less generic perhaps. DH and I found the name a bit weird and confusing too although that doesn't really matter I guess.
The nappies are very good value, about the same price as Lidl's nappies so I'd definitely pick some up from Aldi if I was passing. Wipes are good value but were fairly standard and I've seen others at a similar cost so nothing exceptional.
Q7 Do you think you'll use the nappies again? What about the wipes? If so, why? If not, why not? I would use the nappies again definitely, not sure about the wipes. I wouldn't avoid the wipes but wouldn't go out of my way to buy them just because they seem fairly standard. The nappies are good though, and didn't slide down DS's bum too much.
Yes I would, they're cheap and worked well. I wouldn't recommend the wipes particularly.

mandymummyethan Wed 30-May-12 13:22:13

I tried the size 3 nappies for my 4.5 month baby boy. I havent got much complains as they did what i expected them to do. I just had a few (maybe paranoid) instances that i had not noticed in any other brand previously tried.
1. I found that the nappies usually left sometime of stringy deposits from the structure of the nappy. This made me overthink if it was uncomfortable for the baby.
2. whilst using them at night i thought they did not hold as much urine as my usual pamper brand. in addition i noticed that there was a stronger smell of urine when i changed his nappy compared to other brands.
3. the elastic that keeps the nappy together seemed especially tighter than other brands and left much more of an imprint on his bottom.

All in all they did do their jobs

As for the wipes. I found them to have less moisture than the other brands i tend to use. This was fine as it became both an adavantage and a disadvantage depending on my situation at the time.

I will recommend the wipes to a friend and recommend the nappies to a cash strapped friend as i found more things to moan about in the nappies rather than the wipes.
Both nappy and wipes positivley surprised my expectation as prior to the test i would have never considered the aldi brand.

jaggythistle Wed 30-May-12 13:51:57

Tested newborn size one on DS2 who was 2-3 weeks at the time. Sensitive wipes were also used on 2 year old DS1.

They were fine overall, very similar in design and quality to Tesco own brand which I alredy like and use. They fitted him fine.

No leaks, I prefer the shape to that of Huggies/Pampes, as above they were similar to Tesco.

Packaging fine, all information required was there.

I liked the wipes, no strong odour and i liked that they weren't too wet. used about same amount as usual. DS1 had slight nappy rash and complained that some Pampers sensitive we'd been given hurt, he was happy with the Aldi ones though.

no - i did get some wee loose stringy bits in a couple of nappies, wasn't a big deal though.

both good value.

yes if larger sizes are of similar quality, i'd be happy to use them.

Yes would reccommend both.

Thanks for letting me try these. I tested on DD2, age 18 months, using size 5 Junior nappies. She is 28lbs (with a sturdy build smile)

I like them, they are nice and soft. A bit snug on DD, but I probably should have asked for a bigger size. I'd say the sizing is in line with other brands

Great actually, equal with pampers. They lasted overnight without leaking, which Huggies and Tesco failed on completely

It's fine, no strong opinion really, it looks like pampers

We only got the sensitive ones, were there supposed to be two packs? I'd say they are very similar to pampers sensitive, quite dry. I like the flip top lid though

No, I really like them

Nappies are excellent value, wipes not so much as I always buy in bulk when I see pampers on offer and I think price is kind of similar then.

Yes, I will go and buy the nappies, keen to try the pull up pants as they are v expensive for other brands
Wipes - yes i probably would, but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy like I would with the nappies. If I'm in the shop buying nappies I would probably pick some up though

I would definitely recommend the nappies, yes, they are great. Wipes I wouldn't not recommend iykwim, but nappies would be the big draw.

mancbird Thu 31-May-12 23:05:21

Thank you for sending me these nappies and wipes to try smile

They felt quite soft and I liked the colourful animals on them. I tried size 3 and they were a good fit on my 7 month old son.

I thought the nappies were really good. I have tried huggies, which are almost twice the price and they leaked really badly. We didn't have any leaks (wee or poo!) with the Aldi nappies and as we are weaning and teething at the moment that is really good!

Easy to open and looked good quality. All the information I needed was on the packet.

I'm sorry but I wasn't a big fan of the wipes sad They were quite dry and pulled on my son's skin. They reminded me of huggies wipes and I don't like them much either. I did like the fact they were quite thick though smile We probably used about the same number of wipes that we would normally use. I did like the idea of the lid on the packet, but the lid on mine wouldn't stay shut properly!

The lid on the wipes needs to stay shut and then maybe the wipes won't be so dry!

Great value. Almost half the price of some of the leading brands and performed better for us! If you like the wipes, the price is great value but unfortunately I wasn't a huge fan of the wipes.

Definitely (in fact I have already bought another packet!) I probably wouldn't buy the wipes again though.

I have recommended the nappies to quite a few of my friends and a few of them have said they are going to try them smile I would mention the wipes, simply because they are such a good price.

SpottySlippers Fri 01-Jun-12 08:49:38

These are great nappies! They are lovely and soft and fit well.

Yes, compare well and no issues.

Packaging is as per the other nappies I use, no complaints.

I agree with other Mumsnetters the wipes are alittle dry, but the the lid was great and there were no issues here with not closing properly.

No, they are fine as they are.

I think the pricing structure is competitive. I am very price sensitive and will tend to buy what's on offer, these prices at RRP compare well to what I pay for other brands on offer.

Yes, definitely.

Yes, I would definitely recommend. The nappy softness is a huge selling point as is the price.

grinningbee Sun 03-Jun-12 15:41:30

They fitted very well and felt very soft. They felt a lot softer and thicker than our usual brand.

They were brilliant. No problems here, and they've coped with being used on holiday as well when they've had to last a little longer while out than normal use at home.

Packaging was as you'd expect as was the info.

We had the sensitive wipes and liked the lack of scent. I did find them drier, and although I used about the same amount I do prefer them slightly wetter.

The nappies I'd keep just the same, the wipes I would make a bit wetter and I'd also get rid of the awful plastic lid. It took me ages to open and I almost took a chunk out of my finger,

The nappies are very good value. The wipes are about the same value as the ones I already get.

The nappies I will be changing to from Pampers, which we've used from day dot. I will be sticking to Sainsbury's own brand wipes as I prefer the packaging and the fact that they're wetter.

I won't recommend the wipes, but I certainly will recommend the nappies. Really pleased to have been given the chance to try them, thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now