This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

NOW CLOSED Aldi nappies and wipes - tester feedback thread

(108 Posts)
KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 22-May-12 12:39:06

This thread is for all the Mumsnet research panellists who've been trying out Aldi nappies and wipes with their baby/child. Below are some questions to get you started but please feel free to add other comments too. Everyone who adds their feedback on this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a hamper of goodies from Aldi worth £50!

Please state the age of your baby/child and the size of nappy you were trying in your response.

Q1 What was your overall impression of Aldi nappies? Did they fit your baby/child? How did they feel?
Q2 How did they compare with other nappies you've used? Did they do the job they were intended for? Any leaks?
Q3 What did you think of the nappy packaging? Was it easy or difficult to open? What about the information on the packaging?
Q4 How did you find the wipes to use? Did you notice any difference between the normal and sensitive skin wipes? Did you find you had to use more, less or the same amount of wipes as you usually do?
Q5 Is there anything about the nappies, wipes, appearance or packaging that you think could be improved? If so, what?
Q6 We've included some info on how much Aldi nappies cost below - do you think that they're good value for money or not? Why? And how about the wipes - do you think they're good value or not?
Q7 Do you think you'll use the nappies again? What about the wipes? If so, why? If not, why not?
Q8 If it came up in conversation, do you think you'd recommend Aldi nappies to other parents of children or babies in nappies? If so, why? If not, why not? And would you recommend the wipes?

Mamia New Born Nappies - £1.79, per pack of 24
Mamia Mini Nappies - £3.49, per pack of 44
Mamia Midi Nappies - £4.99, per pack of 54
Mamia Maxi Nappies - £4.99, per pack of 48
Mamia Junior Nappies - £4.99, per pack of 42
Mamia Comfy Up Pants - £3.49, per pack of 22
Mamia Baby Wipes - 79p, per pack of 80
See here for more info.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw.

MNHQ

NinthWave Wed 23-May-12 20:34:16

My DS is 19mo and we tried the Comfy Up Pants and the wipes.

1) Overall impression - I was very impressed, they fit my son well and felt easily as nice as the 'top brands'.

2) We haven't had any leaks; they've performed just as well as my preferred brand (Boots own).

3) Packaging was easy to open, well-labelled as Size 5 Pull ups, no issues there.

4) Wipes are great! We were sent the Aloe-scented ones, they smell lovely. No issues with my son's sensitive skin which is good, and they've also performed well as general muck-removers on faces/hands/furniture blush I like that you get 80 in a pack, rather than some brands' rather stingy 56/64. Also like the plastic lid that stops them drying out/leaking all over my changing bag.

5) The only improvement I can think of would be for the pants to have a little sticky strip on the back, to seal the rolled-up nappy once it's ready for the bin. I prefer to use brands that have this, personally.

6) Excellent value, I would happily pay that. Less than I pay now.

7) The only reason I wouldn't use them again is that I'm not near an Aldi! Would def recommend to others though, without a doubt.

8) See above - yes I would. Have already done so on an MN thread actually!

Q1 What was your overall impression of Aldi nappies? Did they fit your baby/child? How did they feel?
They did feel a bit papery like a supermarket brand. The ones I had (size five pull ups) were quite snug on my average sized 2.5 yo which surprised me as presumably that is the absolute biggest size you can get in the whole of the aldi range. I'm sure there are lots of larger children who still need to wear nappies, I'm not sure they would fit my DS if he were much bigger confused The felt small, even for a size 5 (we normally use pampers size 5 which fit fine), and other brands go up to a size 6.
Q2 How did they compare with other nappies you've used? Did they do the job they were intended for? Any leaks?
No wee leaks, but we did have some poo leakage sad I suspect this is because they are pull ups though, nappies are better for containment.
Q3 What did you think of the nappy packaging? Was it easy or difficult to open? What about the information on the packaging?
Nappy packaging was fine and easy enough to open. The pictures seemed a little dated though.
Q4 How did you find the wipes to use? Did you notice any difference between the normal and sensitive skin wipes? Did you find you had to use more, less or the same amount of wipes as you usually do?
I love the wipes!! They are absolutely brilliant, easily as good as my normal favourites (Huggies), but with the price of Tesco smile I have asked my MIL to get us some more next time she visits an Aldi store smile
Q5 Is there anything about the nappies, wipes, appearance or packaging that you think could be improved? If so, what?
Larger sizes would be good. Packaging absolutely fine though, especially on the wipes.
Q6 We've included some info on how much Aldi nappies cost below - do you think that they're good value for money or not? Why? And how about the wipes - do you think they're good value or not?
Yes, definitely good value, I was impressed from a value point of view.
Q7 Do you think you'll use the nappies again? What about the wipes? If so, why? If not, why not?
Yes, I think we would, the only thing stopping us is that it is a bit of a trek to go to an Aldi, we have to go out of our way, so won't be able to switch permanently.
Q8 If it came up in conversation, do you think you'd recommend Aldi nappies to other parents of children or babies in nappies? If so, why? If not, why not? And would you recommend the wipes?
Would definitely recommend the wipes, in fact I have already done so grin The nappies are fine although nothing special, so I wouldn't recommend them, but if someone asked me about them specifically, I would say they were fine.

mum2supercharlie Wed 23-May-12 22:31:20

I tested: Mamia Midi Nappies - £4.99, per pack of 54
Mamia Baby Wipes - 79p, per pack of 80

Q1 What was your overall impression of Aldi nappies? Did they fit your baby/child? How did they feel? I had never thought of using them before. With my 18 week old son I don’t even dare to use my usual supermarket brand. The nappies do fit my son. This may sound strange but there was a nice feel to them, if nappies can feel nice. It was a smooth exterior and I prefer it to the branded cotton like nappies I have used. The nappies were much nicer than Pampers which we also use. Pampers nappies have a strong chemical smell and this smell is increased once the nappy is wet.

Q2 How did they compare with other nappies you've used? Did they do the job they were intended for? Any leaks? Wowee! These nappies have not leaked. Usually I use Huggies and they do leak especially when my ds is in his car seat and he does a pooh. I trialled them during the day and at night time, so at times my 18 week old was wearing them for approx. 7 hours......when I was lucky to have that much sleep!

Q3 What did you think of the nappy packaging? Was it easy or difficult to open? What about the information on the packaging? It was fine to open. All the info we needed was already inc. on the packs.

Q4 How did you find the wipes to use? Did you notice any difference between the normal and sensitive skin wipes? Did you find you had to use more, less or the same amount of wipes as you usually do? I didn’t expect the wipes to be as thick as they were, and I expected to use more than my usual brand Huggies Pure. I did in fact use the same amount of wipes as I would usually. The wipes were great, gentle on my baby’s skin yet strong enough to cope with his or his 2 year old brother’s.....
DH has just added that he thinks the wipes could be a little bit wetter.

Q5 Is there anything about the nappies, wipes, appearance or packaging that you think could be improved? If so, what? The wipes do not need to have a rigid plastic opening. I love the colourful animals and the cow front and back images on the respective sides of the nappy. My children don't mind what is on their nappy and I don't mind even using plain nappies, as someone else said I would prefer not to pay to have a licensed character on a nappy.

Q6 We've included some info on how much Aldi nappies cost below - do you think that they're good value for money or not? Why? And how about the wipes - do you think they're good value or not? Yes to both.

Q7 Do you think you'll use the nappies again? What about the wipes? If so, why? If not, why not? Oh yes to both!

Q8 If it came up in conversation, do you think you’d recommend Aldi nappies to other parents of children or babies in nappies? If so, why? If not, why not? And would you recommend the wipes? I would recommend them. I will even try the larger sizes for my older son. I would recommend the value and the amazing results we have had. I would recommend the wipes but I would include the fact that they are slightly thinner than Huggies Pure, but that they are much better value even when we buy Huggies Pure on promotion. However I think DH is not convinced about the wipes. He must have had a bad experience!

buggyRunner Thu 24-May-12 10:21:31

I already use and reccommend aldi nappies- I will still do. These are fantastic value for money (as are the wipes)

Packaging nice, informative - wipes still a bit tricky to open.

No leaks, fit well and easy to use (flaps didn't break off when opening tabs which can happen)

Pattern nice. Easy distinction from
Front and back.

Gauchita Thu 24-May-12 16:12:30

We tested the Maxi ones.

Very good overal impression. They fit DS really well and felt soft/didn't cause any irritation.

Gladly surprised in all honesty. We use Pampers (Huggies were not good at all, accumulated wee only in the front, no distribution, and leaked every single time). Mamia ones do the job and never leak.

Good packaging, easy to open. I don't spend too much time reading packages, I directly go to the essential info (number of nappies, kg). I don't pay too much attention to pictures or whether they have a baby or 5 on the cover. As long as the nappies are good and affordable I can buy them even if the packaging is all white grin

Wipes were good. I only tested the sensitive ones. I'd say I needed the same amount.

I only found one problem, and it was with the wipes' packaging. The lid stopped working as soon as I started using it. First it "locked" shut and it was hard to open and then when I opened it the tiny bit that engages when you close it broke, but then maybe that was just me blush Wipes tended to come out in numbers, though, and that wasn't too good.

I think the price is quite good, yes.

I'd use the nappies again quite happily.

Yes, I'd recommend the nappies, they're very good.

Thanks again for letting us test them smile

2.5 years, trying the Comfy Up Pants

Q1 A very good overall impression - they fit her very well and were quite soft but strong at the seams
Q2 Stronger, she didn't pull them apart as she does her normal nappies. No leaks. Easy to pull up and down. And she liked the elephant.
Q3 Pretty to open but struggled a bit pulling the first one out.
Q4 Wipes did an alright job, they didn't cause her skin any problems, but found them drier than the usual wipes I use.
Q5 Moister wipes.
Q6 Very good value as pullup pants tend to be extortionate.
Q7 Probably for the nappies, might by wipes as a back-up pack for a bag.
Q8 I would recommend the nappies, but not the wipes.

Blatherskite Thu 24-May-12 16:52:54

Please state the age of your baby/child and the size of nappy you were trying in your response

DD is 2 and we tried the size 4 nappies

I wasn't expecting much to be honest. We've always used Huggies in the past and my only real try with cheaper nappies has been with Lidl which are good but very, very plain and basic. The outer packaging was nothing special and I was expecting the nappies inside to be similar. I was actually pleasantly surprised by the nappies though. They felt reassuringly thick and soft and the characters on the front were lovely. I especially like the giraffe which shows you which way round the nappy should go. The nappies fitted well and so far we've not had any leaks at all which is impressive as DD is now about ready for potty training so she tends to go just a few times a day but in large volumes so any nappy that can cope with that is doing well.

We've used Huggies pretty much exclusively since birth. I did a lot of swapping and changing when DS was little and found them to be the best on him so just carried on when DD was born. Recently we've tried Lidl nappies thanks to MN and Twitter recommendations and have got on well with those too. I'd say Aldi nappies stand up well against both. They're slightly more expensive than Lidl nappies but still significantly cheaper than Huggies. They do feel higher quality than the Lidl nappies though as they're slightly thicker and have the front/back markers and bright graphics that the very plain Lidl nappies are missing.

The packaging was fine. Nothing to set it apart from other nappy packaging really. I wasn't drawn to it but then I tend to go more on price than pretty packaging these days.

I hated the wipes. The pack is pretty much impossible to open with one hand while trying to change a wriggly toddler and I found my pack at least to be very dry. OK for easy clean ups but any major explosions or dried on food on faces etc and they were useless. I was halfway through a pack of Lidl wipes when the Aldi ones arrived and had to swap back more than once. I certainly wouldn't buy them again. They were nice and thick but just not wet enough and the hard to open packaging makes them a pain.

I'd change the graphics on the nappy outer just because I think the current stuff is dull and uninteresting. Maybe some sort of dotted line where the pack rips would make opening them easier too. I'd change the flap on the wipes, either to a plastic window which opens more easily or to an adhesive rip strip. I buy both types regularly as I keep wipes at home in a bigger box so want a rip strip but nappy bag wipes need to have a window and preferably be in a slightly smaller pack - for me anyway.

They're definitely good value. They're almost half the price of our usual Huggies nappies (when they're sold at full price which isn't often tbf) and a couple of pounds cheaper than the Lild nappies. I think for the extra padding I might even be tempted to swap to these as our usual brand until DD potty trains.

I definitely will buy the nappies again, I really like them. I absolutely will not buy the wipes again though as I really don't like them. This is going to make my shopping trips more complicated!

I would definitely recommend Aldi nappies if it came up in conversation as I've been really impressed with them. As above, the wipes are too dry and too hard to open so I wouldn't recommend them at all.

Gauchita Thu 24-May-12 17:27:36

Oops, forgot to say we tested them on 8.5-month old DS.

I was testing the mini size 2

Initial impression was very positiveave to be honest wasn't expecting it. They felt soft and looked comfortable.

They were equally as good as the pampers I was currently using. My 3 week old ds has reflux, and has had very explosive poo. We have had some leaks, but nothing I wouldn't have expected from any brand of nappy.

Packaging fine, although the plastic opening on the wipes is a bit annoying. Info on packaging fine.

Wipes were good, liked them. They did what was needed, although I haven't tested them much on ds bottom as i'm using cotton wool and water as he is only 3 weeks old.

Q5 Is there anything about the nappies, wipes, appearance or packaging that you think could be improved? If so, what?Love the pics on the nappies as some cheaper nappies can be a bit plain.

wasn't keen on the wipes opening, but that wouldn't stop me buying them.

I am loving the cost, much better value than pampers or huggies.

Yes I have already bought two more packets of the nappies! They are as good as pampers or huggies and cheaper, which is very important to me at the minute being on a very tight budget.

Yes I would and have already done so.

Thank you for letting me test these nappies...great product! smile

swampster Thu 24-May-12 22:51:36

We tried Mamia Comfy Up Pants and the fit was really nice on my skinny-minny three-year-old.

I was going to come on here and say how lovely they were to use, what fine, strong seams they had and how much my little one enjoyed being able to use the potty unaided at night/in the morning - he's used to wearing reusable nappies which he sometimes needs a bit of help to rip off - then we had the mother of all leaks and he was absolutely SOAKING! In eight-plus years of nappying I don't think I have ever had such a bad leak - he might as well have been wearing no nappy.

Packaging was OK - nothing to write home about - plastic but fairly inoffensive. A cuter kiddie would have been nice and the lettering looked pretty dated.

I received the sensitive skin wipes. I like them.

No leaks would be good. I am reluctant to trust them again. Better photos of cuter kids wouldn't be bad. The little girl on the Comfy Up Pants packet looks fairly uncomfortable with a bunched up nappy between her legs. Her hands look like she wants to pull at the front of her nappy. Is it an itch? Better lettering.

I have tried the ordinary nappies before and loved them. I would have said these were good value but for the leak.

No, I'll be sticking to reusable nappies now, no leaks. Also, I don't have an Aldi anywhere near me.

I would recommend the nappies and the wipes. Not convinced by the Comfy Up Pants.

harasniffud Thu 24-May-12 22:56:46

Tried newborn nappies for 4 week old dd and baby wipes

First impression very good. Nappies looked good with the illustrations making it obvious which was front and back. Nappies fitted 4 week old DD very well with (thankfully) no leaks and they felt as quality as the main brands.

Compared well. Have stuck with a main brand for both ds and dd and tried one other brand before heading back to original choice. Having tried these however, and suffered no leaks, I'd consider them instead.

Packaging was easy enough to open. Information adequate. Depends how much information you need really.

Wipes are fine. Not as wet as usual brand I use, but fragrance good and they do the job. I like the fact that one comes out at a time rather than multiples . Useful when wrestling a jigglie baby with one hand and trying to pull out a wipe at the same time, so that means that I probably use fewer wipes than I would usually

Whilst I liked the concept of the plastic lid on the wipes, I found it nigh on impossible to open and haven't been able to close it since opening it.

Think nappies are very good vfm. Wipes also good value although I usually buy mine in bulk so the ones I use are not that much more expensive.

Yes, will definately use nappies again and will probably try larger size for 2yo ds.

Yes, would mention that I found them good, but agree with earlier comments that not all babies are built the same and therefore the brand that works for one won't necessarily work for another. Would recommend wipes and will try again.

Hi - I had the pull ups for my just 2 yr old and am pretty happy with them

Q1 What was your overall impression of Aldi nappies? Did they fit your baby/child? How did they feel? - They looked really similar in look and feel to the tescos's ones I used before
Q2 How did they compare with other nappies you've used? Did they do the job they were intended for? Any leaks? Did the job and no more leaks that the others I would use
Q3 What did you think of the nappy packaging? Was it easy or difficult to open? What about the information on the packaging? I didn';t notice much info on the pack and it seemed easy to open.
Q4 How did you find the wipes to use? Did you notice any difference between the normal and sensitive skin wipes? Did you find you had to use more, less or the same amount of wipes as you usually do? Was not keen on the wipes at all. They had a really strange chemical smell and I certainly wouldn;t buy them again
Q6 We've included some info on how much Aldi nappies cost below - do you think that they're good value for money or not? Why? And how about the wipes - do you think they're good value or not? Yes goood value - would certainly buy them
Q7 Do you think you'll use the nappies again? What about the wipes? If so, why? If not, why not? yes to the pull ups/ no to the wipes. Really don't like the smell of the wipes but really liked the nappies. Only problem is there isn't an aldi near me....

Q8 If it came up in conversation, do you think you'd recommend Aldi nappies to other parents of children or babies in nappies? If so, why? If not, why not? And would you recommend the wipes? Yes to the nappies - good value and good quality. Smell is off putting for the wipes

Thanks for letting me test - enjoyed it

minimuffy Fri 25-May-12 08:17:04

Used on DD 17months, size 5

felt soft and had a great fit. liked the lion design, DD liked pointing to the animals

no leaks! and found them softer than other brand names. does what it says on the tin!

nothing stand out about the packaging, but there doesnt really need to be. found it a bit tough to open and the lid on the wipes a bit tough

lid on wipes was quite tough, difficult to open when wrestling with a pooey child on the floor! i found the wipes a wee bit dry to be honest.

thought the wipes packaging is a bit overload, could be simpler, and lid needs to be looser. loved the design on the nappies, very fun and bright!

think aldi nappies and wipes are great value compared to the big brand names and even other supermarket own brand. wipes are good price, but probably wouldnt use again.

will use the nappies again, fit great, great design on nappy and good value.

would reccommend the nappies but not the wipes, esp if a parent thought that brand names were best just because they were brand names. aldi nappies do a great job at a great price

I tested the size 5 pull-ups and sensitive wipes on my 26 month old wilful little minx.

Q1 What was your overall impression of Aldi nappies? Did they fit your baby/child? How did they feel? They looked good quality, thick, with enough features like an elasticated back, leg cuffs, etc. to reassure me that they'd fit the bill
Q2 How did they compare with other nappies you've used? Did they do the job they were intended for? Any leaks? Unfortunately I had quite a few leaks. I felt the 'seat' of the pull-up wasn't wide enough to cover my baby's bum properly (she's not very big for a 2 year old, either!) so that accounted for some leaks. The nappy also slid sideways frequently, giving her a bit of a wedgie (ie the leg cuff slid up her bum-cleavage). They also didn't hold as much as my usual size 5 nappies. To be fair, though, I don't expect pull-ups to be as absorbent, because the whole point of them is to start to teach potty training!
Q3 What did you think of the nappy packaging? Was it easy or difficult to open? What about the information on the packaging? It was fine - easy to open, easy to carry. I didn't notice much else because I never do blush
Q4 How did you find the wipes to use? Did you notice any difference between the normal and sensitive skin wipes? Did you find you had to use more, less or the same amount of wipes as you usually do? I only tried the sensitive skin ones. They didn't inflame my baby's sensitive skin, so that's ideal. They were small, but they didn't need to be any bigger. They were thick enough not to tear (always a bonus when you're clearing up a nappy explosion...). They had plenty of friction, so were great for messy nappy clear-ups and wiping sticky hands and faces. I used less wipes than usual. Had my toddler been any younger, though, I'd have felt they were a little too rough. They were also very dry - sometimes I had to use extra water on them. I found the click lid a real faff: I had to use 2 hands to haul it open each time.
Q5 Is there anything about the nappies, wipes, appearance or packaging that you think could be improved? If so, what? I'd change the clicker on the click lid to be less aggressive. I'd make the pull-ups a little wider at the back (even an extra centimetre each side would be enough)
Q6 We've included some info on how much Aldi nappies cost below - do you think that they're good value for money or not? Why? And how about the wipes - do you think they're good value or not? Yes, they're good value compared to other pull-ups on the market.
Q7 Do you think you'll use the nappies again? What about the wipes? If so, why? If not, why not? I wouldn't use the pull-ups again at this early stage in potty training because we had too many leaks. At a later stage when I'm really just covering for accidents then yes, probably. Wipes - yes, I'll be buying these from now on: great value for money. I'll just be adding my own water wink
Q8 If it came up in conversation, do you think you'd recommend Aldi nappies to other parents of children or babies in nappies? If so, why? If not, why not? And would you recommend the wipes? Yes, I'd recommend both as good value options.

Thisisformatilda Fri 25-May-12 14:33:30

I've just bought another pack of these nappies from aldi - we used all the tester ones up & they weren't quite the same!

Mnhq, do you know if the ones we tested are a new, improved part of the range?

The packaging was exactly the same but the actual nappies felt and smelt a lot more plasticy & the colours of the animals on the nappies were a lot brighter.

I really preferred the ones we tested!

CagneyNLacey Fri 25-May-12 15:04:13

I tested the newborn nappies on my two week old son.

I liked them, they felt soft, looked nice and fitted him well.

There were a few leeks but not as many as with Pampers and Huggies.

Packaging was fine, easy to open and all the usual information could be seen.

I thought the wipes were too dry and wasnt that keen on them for that reason.

The nappies were great but the wipes were too dry.

I thought the nappies were great value for money but dont think the wipes are.

Would try Aldi nappies again, although the next sizes up dont seem much cheaper than other brands. Wouldnt use wipes again as they're not wet enough to be effective.

I would definitely recommend the newborn nappies as I found them to be as good as, if not better than, the usual brands I buy. Wouldnt recommend wipes due to dryness.

MichaelaS Fri 25-May-12 16:36:20

Hello, i'm finally reporting back as I think my baby has gone to sleep for long enough to let me type my reply!

I was testing the newborn sized nappies on my son who was 3 - 4 weeks old at the time, plus the sensitive wipes.

I was expecting these to be a bit naff because they are a value brand, but I was pleasantly surprised. The outside of the nappy felt a bit more plasticy than my usual brand, but the inside was lovely and soft. No sharp edges or corners, and the elastic bit around the legs felt very soft too. The picture on the nappies was cute.
The fit was good, I was able to get them on snugly despite the best efforts of my son to kick his legs around during change times. Overall I was very impressed, not what I was expecting at all - in fact a lot better.

They worked really well - no leaks and coped well with the runny breastmilk poo. My son isn't big enough yet for those huge explosion nappies but these contained everything very well. Particuarly I was pleased not to have any urine leaks - my usual brand had leaked a couple of times overnight in the first couple of weeks because the fit was not tight enough around his skinny legs. The Aldi nappies didn't have the same problem.

The packaging was good - nice fresh looking colours (yellow and greeny blue) with the usual picture of doting mother smiling down at a tiny infant, plus the "how it works" bit on the back explaining all the features. Clearly displays the size, the number of nappies in the pack, and the brand. The pack was very easy to open - it has one of those tear down ends - and happily the tear down bit did not work its way more open throughout the week and let all the remaining nappies fall out, which is a bugbear of mine. Well done, full marks for functional and pleasant packaging!

This was the first time I used wipes on my newborn, I've been using cotton wool with warm water the rest of the time. I tested the sensitive wipes, which felt really fresh and soothing on my hand. They were a generous size, larger than you really need for a newborn but the right sort of size for an older baby or toddler. Unfortunately my son hated the wipes - after a few days we worked out it was because they were damp but not warm, and he hated the cold feeling as his bum was wiped. I have gone back to using cotton wool for the time being. If I was going to use wipes with a newborn I would be sure to keep them somewhere warm - on top of the radiator perhaps - to avoid the same problem. The wipes did work well though, and I found I only needed 1 or 2 each time rather than about 10 cotton wool balls.

I liked the nappy packaging and thought it was very clear. Personally I would prefer a slightly less cheesy mum and baby picture, but that might not be to everyone's tastes.
For the wipe packaging, I thought the fold down lid was quite hard to open. I liked the way the inner package made a zig zag edge when opened, so you could see whether it was a new pack or not (i.e. that noone in the shop had opened it first, or that you hadn't opened it then forgotten about it for 6 months). The pack looked quite busy, I think perhaps if the printing on top of the lid went to the edges more so that it looks more a part of the whole design that would help. The lid on my pack was stuck on slightly too far to the left so the little bunny character was chopped in 2 - poor rabbit! But overall the pack worked and it was clear how many wipes were inside and that it was the "sensitive" version so it does the job.

I had to read the prices a couple of times because I think they are very good value. The quality is a lot better than then price suggests, compared to other brands. I would say that about the nappies and the wipes.

I probably won't, but only because we get our shopping delivered and this brand is not available from our delivery supermarket. Otherwise I definitely would! Why waste money paying more for a different brand that is not any better? If I ever have an hour or two spare I would be tempted to pop over to the local Aldi and have a look around as I wonder if there are more bargains like these hiding inside! If I made a trip I would bulk buy a couple of weeks worth of nappies.

Yes, I would recommend these, but unfortunately our nearest Aldi store is a bit of a trek.

Thanks for the opportunity to try these, it opened my eyes to the quality possible with value brands!

jaggythistle Fri 25-May-12 17:04:16

Just marking my place so i remember to do this when i get a minute. blush

Procrastinating Fri 25-May-12 18:51:19

Please state the age of your baby/child and the size of nappy you were trying in your response.
Child aged 2, junior size nappies.
They fit fine, felt soft.
No leaks, I usually use Pampers and these were similar in quality to me.
Easy to open, didn't read the package.
Had to use more than usual, they are not moist enough. I don't like the smell of the wipes either.
Nappies are good, my daughter liked the pictures and they are excellent value. The wipes need to be moister, bigger and without smell.
Nappies good value, I wouldn't buy the wipes.
Yes I will use the nappies, not the wipes.
Yes the nappies, no to the wipes.

I tested the newborn nappies and sensitive wipes on DS2 who was about 3 weeks old at the time. I also already use the maxi nappies on DS1.

I love Aldi nappies. They fit DS2 perfectly and seemed to hold more and were more secure than Huggies or Pampers

They were brilliant, not a single leak while using them. Other brands are no where near as good.

The information was sufficient and the packaging easy enough to open.

The wipes were a bit drier than most brands (I usually use either Huggies Pure or Pampers Sensitive) but perfectly adequate. I didn't notice that I used any more wipes than I would normally, either on DS2 or DS1 (19months)

Wetter wipes would be an improvement, but not an essential one.

I think they are great value for money. I was already using the size 4 (now 5) for DS1 and have since bought the size 2 for DS2. Aldis nappies are now my preferred brand for both children.

I may use the wipes, I tend to buy what is on offer. I will definitely use the nappies, for both children.

Yes I would, in fact I have been recommending them since using the larger sizes for DS1. Now I know the smaller sizes are just as good, I will recommend to everyone. I would recommend the wipes as even though they are not perfect, they are great value for money.

We tested the size 4 junior nappies on 2yo DD with the normal wipes.

Q1 What was your overall impression of Aldi nappies? Did they fit your baby/child? How did they feel? They felt nice, I was expecting a more papery feel but was pleasantly surprised. The fit was perfect.

Q2 How did they compare with other nappies you've used? Did they do the job they were intended for? Any leaks? Not a single leak but DD is not a big wee-er. They still felt very secure after a night of DD tossing and turning too.

Q3 What did you think of the nappy packaging? Was it easy or difficult to open? What about the information on the packaging? Packaging was fine and were as easy to open as other brands.

Q4 How did you find the wipes to use? Did you notice any difference between the normal and sensitive skin wipes? Did you find you had to use more, less or the same amount of wipes as you usually do? Wipes were of good quality, the only issue I have is that they smell very chemically to me. I used the same as I usually do, but only because it's a habit.

Q5 Is there anything about the nappies, wipes, appearance or packaging that you think could be improved? If so, what? Nope I was happy with all aspects of the products.

Q6 We've included some info on how much Aldi nappies cost below - do you think that they're good value for money or not? Why? And how about the wipes - do you think they're good value or not? Yes I think they're both excellent value.

Q7 Do you think you'll use the nappies again? What about the wipes? If so, why? If not, why not? Will use the nappies again (when a store opens in our area) unsure about the wipes due to the smell.

Q8 If it came up in conversation, do you think you'd recommend Aldi nappies to other parents of children or babies in nappies? If so, why? If not, why not? And would you recommend the wipes? I've already recommended the nappies to someone who was having issues with leaking and sizing and the value for the money is a bigger winner for most people at the minute I imagine.

Cutelittlecatlover Sat 26-May-12 10:59:59

I used size 2 nappies and sensitive wipes on 5 week old dd.

1) I was very impressed with these nappies, they didn't look or feel like a cheaper brand at all and they fit dd perfectly.

2) Apart from these nappies I have used huggies and pampers on dd and I found aldi nappies the best. There was no gaping or leakage at all with these and they felt much softer and more flexible than huggies.

3) I found the packaging was fine, no problems opening it at all.

4) I liked the wipes and found them stronger than other brands and good for cleaning my 2 yo ds's sticky hands too. I used roughly the same amount as I usually do.

5) my only criticism was that the wipes were very difficult to open.

6) I think these are great value for money and I already use the size 5 nappies on my 2yo.

7) I will definitely continue to use these nappies and wipes for both children.

8) I would definitely recommend these to others as they are much cheaper than other brands and as good as the more expensive brands.

nextphase Sat 26-May-12 12:57:18

Can I just add that we currently have a tummy bug, and the current score is nursery 4 clothes changes (leading brand, size 4) home 0 clothes changes in Aldi Maxi nappies. (to date - we've got til this is over to fully test).

It could, of course, be my superior nappy positioning.....

I tested the Aldi maxi nappies pack of 48.

They look nice, fit well and are soft.
Just as good as my usual brnd and a bit better than the economy pack of a leading brand.
It was fine, same as other brands.
Brilliant wipes, I can not compare between sensitive and normal as only received one pack of sensitive. Used same amount as normal.
No, I think thedy are fine.
Very good value and I will be switching to them.
Yes, I will use them again.
Yes, good quality, cheap prices smile

Wigeon Sat 26-May-12 19:58:50

My baby is 12 months old and I tried the size 3 nappies.

I was pretty impressed with them. I thought they felt as good quality as the big brands such as Pampers, Huggies etc. They did fit my DD (although actually I should have asked for size 4, having checked DD's current weight). The tabs were good, the nappies felt soft and generally good quality.

I also liked the pictures on the actual nappies - much better than Disney! Thought the view of the back of an animal on the back of the nappy was quite cute.

No leaks at all - even using them overnight and even though I was using a size which was too small (my fault for not asking for the larger size). Definitely compared well to Pampers, Huggies, and Sainsbury's own brand (my usual unless the others are on offer).

I thought the packaging was fine. I didn't actually notice the information on the packaging and I have now thrown it away so can't check!

I liked the wipes. They felt nice and thick, like the branded ones. They were more substantial and thicker than my usual Sainsbury's own brand ones. I just had "normal", not "sensitive" to test so I can't compare the two. I used the same number as I usually would (with the Sainsbury's ones), but they just felt a bit higher quality as they were thicker.

No - I liked it all!

Definitely good value for money. I am impressed.

I'm afraid I'm very unlikely to use them again as my nearest Aldi is 8 miles away (even though I live within the M25), and not in an area I ever go to. If I had an Aldi nearer I would definitely consider stocking up on them.

I would definitely recommend both the nappies and wipes. Impressed, given the price.

Thanks for sending them to me to test smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now