This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

Pearson's Book Panel - Ages 7-11 (KS2/P4-P7) - Review thread

(50 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 30-Nov-11 13:14:47

You may know Mumsnet have been working with Pearson to provide some special learning-related content for you. Linked to the site is a Pearson shop where you can buy educational books for children. We invited MNers with a child aged between 7 and 11 (ie in KS2/P4-P7) to review the books available for this age group and this thread is for the reviews. We have also got some children who need a bit more support with their reading reviewing the "Rapid" range of books designed for KS2 children struggling with their reading and who are behind their 'expected' level.

Panellists will be sent up to 3 packs of books and reviews will continue to be added until the the new year. Pearson will link to this thread from the shop and may use quotes (with MN names) on MN adverts.

As a thank you for taking part there will be a prize draw for reviewers for all those who have received books and submitted their review. The prize each wave will be £50 of John Lewis vouchers.

Below are the questions Pearson would like you to answer - when posting your review please add in the age of your child and please include the question as well as your response.

Q1 Which pack or books did you and your child review?
Q2 How do the books compare with the reading practice books your child brings home from school? Which reading scheme does your child use at school if any?
Q3 Would you say your child enjoy reading or looking at the books? Why/why not?
Q4 What's your overall review of the book pack?
Q5 And what is your child's review of the book pack?
Q6 Would you recommend these books to another parent? Why/why not?
Q7 Do you think your child would recommend these books to their friends? Why/why not?
Q8 What star rating would you give this pack of books overall? Please use a rating system out of 5 where 1 star is poor and 5 stars are excellent

Many thanks
MNHQ

Seriously, was it just me that got the scary books? Or are the others so traumatised by them they are unable to post?
Come on, anyone who got Yallery Brown, Terror in the tower and The Hangman...
I need to know if they are genuinely scary or if me & my family are big wussesgrin

Really, just me then. I hope I get the non-fiction next time, the DCs are total geeks and would love themgrin

LittleTronkey Wed 21-Dec-11 11:37:08

We had Romans Rule, Zoom, Final Score etc.

Q2 How do the books compare with the reading practice books your child brings home from school? Which reading scheme does your child use at school if any?

ds found these books much easier than what he reads in school. He does Rainbow reading in school.

ds enjoyed these books alot. i think it was because he could read then easily enough on his own.

Q4 What's your overall review of the book pack? i liked them, my only request would be some longer books. ds likes story books and reading a few chapters at a time.

Q5 And what is your child's review of the book pack? ds says they are interesting, he loves all the facts he is learning. He says he would like to have somethign a bit more grown up though.

Q6 Would you recommend these books to another parent? Why/why not? yes, especially to a parent with a reluctant reader.

Q7 Do you think your child would recommend these books to their friends? Why/why not? yes he would.

Q8 What star rating would you give this pack of books overall? Please use a rating system out of 5 where 1 star is poor and 5 stars are excellent

ds says 4

mummytime Tue 10-Jan-12 10:40:11

The Gray ones.

She doesn't use a reading scheme at school anymore (most of her school move onto real books in year 3). They were quite interesting, she much preferred the fact books to the fiction, as she is used to far more advanced fiction books.

She liked the fact ones, and they are well illustrated. She didn't like the fact they looked like reading scheme books, which she saw as babyish.

Okay, a bit below her level.

Okay, she liked the fact ones.

Probably not, they are too much like school reading books. For reading at home I'd like them to look like real books (even if for struggling readers, eg. my dyslexic son read a great series about Mountain Bikers at this age.)

Q7 Do you think your child would recommend these books to their friends? Why/why not?
No. Too much like school, reading scheme books.

3 star, I don't think they work for home use, but could be very good as an in school resource.

catonlap Tue 10-Jan-12 18:26:08

ds is 7 and has struggled to get started with reading. He is doing better now but not caught up to the general level of his class.

Rapid starter

He has been using the Oxford reading Tree at school. The layout of these books was different from what he is used to which I think put him off to start with.

His first reaction was to flatly refuse to try to read the book and walk off.
I think this was because the page looked different, possibly a bit 'busy'. ds has struggled with reading and lacks confidence in trying sometimes as he fears he will fail. He said the book was too hard so would not try. with a bit of encouragement he gave it a go. After reading the first one he decided they were no so hard and continued to read the others.

I thought they were ok. Something a bit different for a change. Probably would prefer the story part to be a bit longer and less of the extra stuff at the back.

As above he thought they were too hard but then realised they were not. They were about correct for his level. He read them but was not interested in the quiz bits at the back.

No I would not specifically recommend them because they did not really stand out as being anything great over other books. If someone asked me about them I would not say they were bad though. I would say there were ok.

No I don't think they have stood out in his mind really. He read them but does not mention them unless I put one in front of him.

Three star (average)

Eve Sat 14-Jan-12 19:07:48

My DS is dyslexic and struggling with reading, he loves books and stories but reading is a chores or him.

1). When the pack arrived he recognised them from school, but these books haven't been sent home for him to read. We had the rapid, series 2 pack.

2). School send him home with the ORT , which frankly are a challenge. The stories are not interesting for an 11year old boy. The language used is also a struggle for him, but these books he found quick and easy to read. If anything they were slightly easy for him to read, but this is excellent as its short and sharp and confidence building and means he can achieve completion of a book.

3). Enjoyed vey much, he picks them up and asks me to listen to him reading, which shows accessibility of these

4). The stories are interesting and quick to read. Would be great if there were longer versions with more in doth stories.

5). My sons review is 'very good'. He would like older versions with no pictures.

6) yes, would recommend, but as part of overall reading and exposure to lots of different books

7). Not his peers as they are to easy for others his age.

8) 4 star

tadpole39 Wed 18-Jan-12 10:26:00

Q1. Which books?
We reviewed the red bug club pack, including 101 things to do before secondary school and what are you doing?
Q2. How do the books compare with books from school?
No comparison really, dd brought home books aimed at young adults like the book thief and the hobbit, she found these books very easy.
Q3. Would you say your child enjoyed looking at or reading the books?
yes, she loved opening them and inspecting them she read all of them very speedily, but loved the idea that her opinion was sought.
Q4. Whats your overall review of the book pack.
enjoyable, not stretching dd but a fun read
Q5. And what is your childs review of the book pack/
She felt the books were good, and lots of children would enjoy them
Q6. Would you recommend these books to another parent?
I didnt feel they were outstandingly different or better than anything else around
Q7. Would your child recommend these books to a friend?
dd commented that the secondary school book might be useful and fun.
Q8. Rate these books
4/5

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 23-Jan-12 10:53:45

Hello...sorry for the delay but am pleased to say fruitshootsandheaves has been selected as the winner of the £50 of John Lewis vouchers. We will be in touch soon re next round of reviews. thanks, Ann

Katz Sun 18-Mar-12 19:42:38

2nd round of books but our first as were new testers

Grey books levels 3a/4c. Rocket Ronnie and the Vortex of Doom, Stage Fright, How to be an explorer and 101 ways to save the planet before bedtime.

They don't as, DD's school stops the reading scheme at the end of year 2 (KS1). In KS1 and F1/2 they use the coloured reading scheme and this range of books up to white feature in them.

DD enjoyed reading the books, she liked the actual stories in the fiction books and she liked the facts and the style of the non-fiction books. She likes how clear the words are and how easy they are to read.

They look eye-catching and accessible to children. I liked that there is a mixture of fiction and non-fiction as DD likes to read about real life things as well as imaginary. I did think the levels were maybe a bit out and perhaps a little on the easy side but if anything this was actually good as DD is a reluctant and unconfident reader. I liked that the levels are on the back, in addition this gave DD the confidence to try them because this is what she thought she should be reading and they therefore couldn't be too hard. She lacks confidence sometimes in her reading and this really helped.

She thought that they weren't too hard to read, and liked that the levels on the back matched what her teacher has told her she is working at and towards at school. She likes the language used and that they are clearly set out and the words are easy to read because she says some books use fancy fonts which she struggles to read.

Q6 Would you recommend these books to another parent?
We have these books in the sets for KS1 (my other daughter is in y2) and as a result i think most parents at our school have come across them, i would still mention them and would probably recommend them.

She says she would recommend them because they quite exciting and fun to read.

Q8 What star rating would you give this pack of books overall?
4 out of 5. DD really liked the books and she has enjoyed the content.

Merrylegs Mon 19-Mar-12 19:45:05

2 non fic - 101 Things to do in the UK; How to be a pop star;
2 fiction 'Beastly Business' titles

Yr 6 - no reading scheme. (Class are currently reading 'Goodnight Mr Tom', so these books are much simpler)

DD enjoyed the non-fiction books. She dismissed the fiction again I'm afraid - too young I think.

Good in that it introduced DD to more non-fiction. She enjoyed reading about the UK and was keen to visit some of the places listed.

DD says - the non-fiction books were very entertaining and the layout was clear and fun. The fiction books looked like they would be enjoyed by younger boys.

Perhaps to the non-fiction - and I'm going to pass the Beastly Business fiction on to my Yr 5 nephew who isn't a great reader - I think he might enjoy them.

Although DD enjoyed the non-fiction titles she thought her friends might think them a bit babyish.

3 stars

OhDoAdmitMrsDeVere Mon 19-Mar-12 22:53:01

Umm not sure - Rapid, some 'series two'. 'Savage Beasts', 'Space Junk!', 'Ice Age' etc
No reading scheme. They are more 'funky' than the ones DS brings home and much more visual.
He did like them but tends to only really like reading about his obessions which are currently Dr Who and Killer Whales. He did say he enjoyed them.
I liked them. Thought they were good books for older children with learning difficulties. Easy to read but more grown up subject matter. I thought some of the exercises were too difficult when compared to the reading age of the book for eg. 'Find a word that ends with the phoneme 'm'' You try explain what a phoneme is to my son! grin
He thought they were good and not babyish. He liked the comic book style
Yes, depending on the child. I think they are good books for older children who struggle with reading.
I dont think so. To be fair, its nothing to do with the books. He just finds it difficult to talk about anything other than his immediate interests.

haggisaggis Tue 20-Mar-12 10:09:09

Q1 Which pack - Rapid series (space junk etc)
Q2 At moment, dd isn't bringing anything home from school. When she did they seemed to use a variety of schemes - recently mainly factual books which she has been finding quite difficult (have usually ended up reading them with her)
These were much easier and dd really enjoyed them. She liked the larger text (she is dyslexic and I think found that the larger text and the coloured text boxes really helped).
Q3 She really enjoyed reading them - she could read them by herself (a first and she's 9.5!) She found the subjects quite interesting and liked 2 stories in every book.
Q4 I liked them - although do not really see the point of the questions at the back - think most parents / teachers with a child needing more help tend to make up their own as they go anyway specific to that child's needs.
Q5 Child's review - dd loved them but would prefer them to be a bit more difficult and a bit longer. As said before, she liked the larger text (and think i will speak to school about this as i had not realised how difficult she was finding reading smaller text). She did not see the point of the character that pops up with the speech bubbles - didn't think he added anything to the book.
Q6 Would recommend these to another parent with a struggling reader (and think I will show them to the school)?
Q7 dd does not like to draw attention to the fact she has reading problems - so for that reason would be unlikely to recommend them to her friends.
Q8 Would give 4 stars - lose the speech bubble bit and the questions at the back (and extend content)

FruitShootsAndHeaves Wed 21-Mar-12 12:03:49

We have received our second pack. Which are pocket sized books called Pocket Worlds and Pocket facts
Titles are Beware, Digging up Dinosaurs,Battles BC, Body Bugs, Risky Record Breakers and Survival.

We haven't read them yet. They are more factual books than stories, but DS loves this sort of book so I'm sure he will enjoy them. They look quite advanced for his reading ability, but as they are small thin books I think he will manage particularly as he is enthusiastic about them.

Will post again when we have read them

TheThingUpstairs Sat 24-Mar-12 17:45:24

The pack which had 'Ghoul School', 'The Gools', 'Gurgle', 'Feebleman', 'The broomstick that wouldn't start' and 'Rubbed out'. Dd is 8.

They looked more modern than the ones Dd brings home from school, some of the books she brings were ones I read at school, nicer covers, they seemed aimed at a younger age maybe. Her school use the colour scheme for reading.

Q3 Would you say your child enjoy reading or looking at the books? Why/why not? Dd did enjoy reading them, she said her favourite was 'Rubbed Out' because it was about a boy who liked drawing and so doe she. Goul School made her laugh.

It's a nice set of books, with varied stories and funny bits. The covers look interesting.

Q5 And what is your child's review of the book pack? Dd 'they were very good, for somebody my age (8), maybe some of the stories were a bit scary but I liked it. Some of them were funny.

Q6 Would you recommend these books to another parent? Why/why not? Yes, they are good books, and not too long!

Q7 Do you think your child would recommend these books to their friends? Why/why not? Dd said yes, because they were funny.

4/5 and Dd agrees.

PosiePumblechook Mon 26-Mar-12 14:33:14

Hi there, I got some books for DS1 (aged 10) but they seem really easy, even for him!! Can you let me know if they are the right books and I'm sure I've reviewed them somewhere else online????

the non-fiction books, about adventurers etc.
They are much simpler than even the 8 year old's school reading books, they use various reading schemes.
They did enjoy the books, but did not find them at all challenging.
Good, but perhaps something up a notch in difficulty would have been better.
They loved the books, said they were very interesting and fun.
I would recommend them for parents of younger DCs or less able readers.
They probably would, but not as a challenge, as some light reading.
4, only due to lack of depth.

The titles we received were Beware, Digging up Dinosaurs,Battles BC, Body Bugs, Risky Record Breakers and Survival

I don't know what scheme or books he is reading at school. He doesn't bring many books home!

DS hasn't been as interested in these books.
To be honest they are good as pocket books of facts but not really as enjoyable for reading together.

They are good for information but not good as story books
We read the Body Bugs one at breakfast time and although it was interesting some of it was a bit ewww.
I was surprised at how well he managed the words though as some of them were harder than the first set. It didn't put him off reading once he'd started either as there wasn't too much text, which was good.

he liked the idea of them at first but hasn't actually shown that much interest.

Yes if their children were interested in factual books.

No because he hasn't read them enthusiastically
He preferred the first set which had a story in, although these were good for learning facts about real life and historical things.

3 star

SandStorm Mon 23-Apr-12 21:56:07

Q1 Which pack or books did you and your child review? We had the set that included Yallery Brown.

Q2 How do the books compare with the reading practice books your child brings home from school? Which reading scheme does your child use at school if any? DD is no longer in a reading scheme (yr 4) but these are still a little below her level and she tends to prefer longer stories although these were the perfect length to take away on holiday with us.

Q3 Would you say your child enjoy reading or looking at the books? Why/why not? She really enjoyed the pictures but she thought the stories were a little scary, as did I. In fact she didn't read all of them because of the theme.

Q4 What's your overall review of the book pack? I liked these mainly for the size and quality of the paper (shallow reasons but there you go). The stories themselves I felt were a bit too adult in theme even though the language was well pitched and the stories moved fast.

Q5 And what is your child's review of the book pack? She was thrilled when they arrived because of the bright colours and bold pictures. They took a little longer to read than our first pack but she didn't enjoy the genre.

Q6 Would you recommend these books to another parent? Why/why not? I think I would recommend these to older children who are less able readers due to the content (sorry - I know I keep going on about it). I think this might appeal more to reluctant boy readers. I can think of several poor readers in year 5 and 6 these would really appeal to.

Q7 Do you think your child would recommend these books to their friends? Why/why not? No because of the storylines.

Q8 What star rating would you give this pack of books overall? Please use a rating system out of 5 where 1 star is poor and 5 stars are excellent. For level of language and physical presentation (quality of illustrations, paper etc) I would score it a high 4. For content I'd give it a 3.

Red b and a.
Q2 How do the books compare with the reading practice books your child brings home from school? Which reading scheme does your child use at school if any? She is no longer on the reading scheme and reading fiction such as Harry Potter. However, the school have just signed up to Bug Club online, so she has had some of the same books on there!
Yes, really enjoyed the fiction ( Joe McGinty and What are you doing?) They were either very funny or exciting. the Detective book was enjoyed but she hasn't really got into the secondary school one yet ( probably as she is only in Year 5)
Good, well presented and high standard of paper/ colour etc. The fiction books are significantly shorter than those she reads normally, which is not necessarily a bad thing, although I would be concerned if she never read anything longer.
Q5 And what is your child's review of the book pack? I loved the last pake and i love this one even better!
Q6 Would you recommend these books to another parent? Why/why not? Yes, but particulary for able but not very enthusiastic readers. The layout and length of the fiction especially would appeal to those who need short sharp texts at a high level.
Q7 Do you think your child would recommend these books to their friends? Why/why not? Yes i heard from her that she loved the last pack and loves this one even more.

AncientsOfMuMu Wed 25-Apr-12 12:18:07

Books received were: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, A Wizard of Earthsea and Smith.

Ds (year 6) is no longer on a reading scheme but brings home books of his own choosing. At the moment these tend to be action/adventure style books e.g. Alex Rider or similar so he probably wouldn't have chosen any of these books.

Yes, he enjoyed reading them, though some more than others (see Q5 below). He thought they were good books for boys and a big improvement on the first set he reviewed!

It was nice to receive three good 'classic' stories that Ds read without any moaning! .

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Although Ds said this was a bit young for him as he had read it in year 3 or 4 he still thought it a great story, and was more then happy to read it again. (I have lost count of the number of times he has read this over the years.)

A wizard of Earthsea - He said this was his least favourite of the three books mainly because he doesnt enjoy fantasy/mythical type stories. He couldnt get drawn into the story and is not interested in reading the rest of the books in the Earthsea series.

Smith - Despite saying he didn't want to read it because it said 'Puffin Modern Classic' on the cover Ds thought this was a great story and he really enjoyed it. He said it was an adventure book set in the old days!

Yes, I would recommend them. A good variety of different styles of writing.

He would recommend Charlie and the Chocolate factory to younger friends or less able readers.

Even though it was his least favourite of the three, he said he would recommend the Earthsea book to anyone that he knew liked fantasy-type stories.

He has already lent Smith to one of his friends!

5 - A great selection of books. Thankyou!

nogoodusernamesleft Sat 28-Apr-12 09:54:14

Apologies for delay in responding - I am very ashamed! blush Here's my review:

We had the Red A/B pack including 101 Things to do before Secondary School, How to be a Detective (both non-fiction), What are you doing?, and The Dangerous World of Joe McGinty (both fiction).

DS doesn’t have a formal reading scheme at school any more (he is in Year 6), and he doesn’t tend to bring any books home. I buy him books that he requests, and these vary from non-fiction on subjects such as history (he loves anything about the Second World War) to Diary of a Wimpy Kid etc so this mix of books was ideal for him.

Yes, he enjoyed all of them, more so than the last pack. The non-fiction ones contained a lot of information and in fact my older DS who is 13 (and does NOT read!) enjoyed the How to be a Detective book as it had a lot of useful information about joining the police, which is his career ambition!

I really liked this pack of books, much more so than the last pack. I have had a good read myself and thoroughly enjoyed all the books! The quality is excellent, and whereas the last pack seemed a little ‘cheap’ in appearance, these were big, bright and colourful and had a lot to draw your attention in. The 101 Things to do before Secondary School was my favourite as it gives tips on how to cope on your first day of big school etc. Only problem was that in our area, kids don’t start secondary school until Year 9, so it was a bit premature for DS!

He liked them a lot; he reads a lot of the time (when he’s not glued to his laptop), and these held his attention well. He’s not mad keen on fiction most of the time, but he enjoyed What are you Doing and is still reading The Dangerous World of Joe McGinty a few pages at a time.

Yes I would, particularly 101 Things to do before Secondary School. I think any child would find it useful and entertaining.

I think so, yes. There were lots of little tips and tricks in the non-fiction books that children of this age would have fun practicing together (tips on things to learn such as juggling so that you have something to do during awkward silences in the playground of your new school).

Q8 What star rating would you give this pack of books overall? Please use a rating system out of 5 where 1 star is poor and 5 stars are excellent.
I would give this pack a rating of 5. I really couldn’t find fault with any of it, and enjoyed every book in the pack. It was age appropriate and tailored to DS interests. The quality was really good, and the covers were big, bold and interesting.

Eve Tue 01-May-12 09:55:07

the second set of books we received was the series of pocket facts

These are very different, he get longer story type books from school

Yes, definitely, when they arrived he took them to bed with him that night to read and I have spotted him reading them since

excellent, very accessible and for a dysslexic child like mine, very attainable

He really enjoyed them and they had interested content but he still could read them.

yes, to assist with reluctant readers or those with problems,

Smaller brother has already been though them

5stars

MiddleOfTheStreet Sat 19-May-12 22:29:27

Feeling a little blush for leaving it so long to post this review. Our excuse was that we have moved (so no longer middleofthestreet, but now other endofthe street smile), and the books were somewhere at the bottom of one of the boxes.... But which one confused....? Anyhow, here goes:

We had the pocket sized fact books, one about heroes.

The school uses ORT, but I have noticed that they are also now introducing some books from other scheme's, as ds2 has been coming home with some books that look like the ones we are getting from Pearson's. Ds1 is no longer on the reading scheme, and brings home books like Harry Potter. He loved the non-fiction ones in the last lot we got and this is why he was extremely excited when he received the pocket books.

Enjoy?? He LOVES them. He has become a walking encyclopaedia and randomly inserts facts in the conversation about Odysseus and Hercules grin. It has been great as his school is doing a topic on the Olympics (and ancient Greece).

Great! I like the format of the books. Loads of interesting facts in a small book.

Loves them.

Yes, they are short and snappy and interesting to read.

Yes, and I believe he has.

honeylamb Mon 21-May-12 11:15:03

The Rapid Series, Code Breakers, Jungle Quest, Romans Rule, Zoooom, Fun with Food and Final Score

More interested in these books, more willing to read them the the ORT books he brings home from school, however school have recently invested in the 'Bugs' books by Pearson and he quite enjoys those too.

Yes, he liked the fact that he could read these and yet the content wasn't 'babyish'. He found the topics interesting, he spent some time looking at the illustrations before attempting to read the words. It wasn't the usual 'battle' getting him to read these books.

Interesting, well designed and appealing to those children who struggle with reading.

He said they are fun to read and he liked the pictures.

Yes, it is good for the childs confidence to read books that aren't babyish, or from the 'reception box' at school. Confidence in your own ability is vital learning to read.

Yes, because they are interesting topics and not babyish. He wasn't ashamed to take them into school and show them to his friends.

ellaballoo Fri 06-Jul-12 17:18:08

My son had read some of the second set of books at school and was not amused at having to read them again.Although he found some of the subject matter interesting,he automatically related them as school books and was rather unmotivated .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now