This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

Add your feedback on the Cuticura product test for the chance to win £200. All MNers (inc non testers) can also add tips or questions about hand hygiene with £50 + a goody bag up for grabs

(107 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 18-Oct-10 10:47:39

If you were part of the Cuticura product test and have tried Cuticura Original Hand Hygiene Gel and the Kids Hand Hygiene Foamer (apple or orange), please post your responses to the questions below and add your thoughts to the discussion. Everyone who was part of the test and who adds some feedback on this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one lucky winner will get £200 (cheque).

~ What did you think of the products overall?
~ Would you buy the products?
~ What did you think of the smell and feel of the products?
~ Would you recommend them to a friend?

Cuticura would also like to know what Mumsnetters (testers and non testers) do about hand hygiene - please add your thoughts below, plus any questions or comments you might have, and you will be entered into a prize draw where one lucky winner will receive £50 (cheque) plus a Cuticura goody bag. For example:

~ Do you always keep a bottle of hand hygiene gel in your handbag / change bag?
~ When or on what kind of occasions are you likely to use a hand hygiene gel?
~ Half term is coming up - do you have any tips for other mums for keeping your children's hands clean?
~ Can you recall specific times when a bottle of Cuticura could have come in handy?

In addition, if you have any questions about hand hygiene please post them here as Cuticura's hand hygiene expert, Dr Lisa Ackerley will be on hand (!) to answer any questions you might have.

Thanks and good luck

MNHQ

Tobermory Mon 18-Oct-10 11:09:16

What did you think of the products overall?
Really liked the products, especially the childrens foamer spray. Nice container, very useable.

Would you buy the products?
Would certainly buy kids foamer again.

Would you buy the products?
We had the apple which smelled fresh and appley - though my 3yo DD thought it smelt of trampoline! Nice and foamy, quickly absorbed, left hands feeling clean and v faintly of apples. Much preferred the smell of kids foam to that of the regular gel which smelt not very nice at all. The regualr version also left hands feeling a bit sticky for a short time afterwards.

Would you recommend them to a friend?
Would recommend the kids foamer.

Used it yesterday after our trip to the allotment. Despite wearign gloves, DD1 hands always end up filthy. A spray of the foamer helped to make them less so!

Jux Mon 18-Oct-10 11:10:29

DD tried it first and said, wistfully, "oh it smells just like Kandoo. I do miss Kandoo" (aaaah!). She uses it regularly and has nearly finished the bottle (makes mental note to check if Kandoo is any more affordable than it was).

DH tried the adult one and said he loved it because it smelt of vodkagrin but also said it was a bit gungy and sticky, didn't evaporate like the cheap stuff from Iceland.

Not sure if there is a fault with our bottle, but we have to unscrew the top and squeeze the stuff out. It is very gloopy and you get a vast amount even with an incredibly gentle squeeze, with the result that it doesn't evaporate quickly, your hands are dripping and you just have to wipe it off with a towel - which rather negates the point. It does smell of vodka, but that's probably because we have to use too much of it if we are going to use it all.

Great, nice smell, family friendly (especially the foam), handy size and long lasting, as you don't need much.
Yes - definitely the foam, which the whole family used more of during the test.
The kids foam smelled lovely and fresh, and was ideal for DS as it didn't run off his hands! The gel smelled clean, but was quite runny so I found there was a knack to squeezing the bottle without getting a handful of gel.
Yes (I already have! grin )
Yes
When we're out and about and stop for a drink/something to eat, after changing DS if tere are no facilities/handwashing facilities, in the car before eating, occasionally in the house - especially when DS was a baby to make up his formula, and when he has his treatment (we insert a needle into a portacath, so everything has to be sterile/antibac-ed). I also used it to wipe a table to clean it at a fast food outlet blush
~ Half term is coming up - do you have any tips for other mums for keeping your children's hands clean?
Take hand hygiene foam/gel everywhere! There's no keeping the DCs out of/away from dirt, so the next best thing is to wipe away any dirt with baby wipes and sanitise with hand get/foam.
~ Can you recall specific times when a bottle of Cuticura could have come in handy?
I took DS to the park and forgot the hand foam, then we went to a cafe, so I ad to struggle to wash his hands in the sink - Cuticura would have been much easier!

Is the kids hand foam likely to become available in bigger packs or a variety of scents?

Oh, forgot to mention that we found the top of the gel bottle very difficult to open, and found that it left our hands quite sticky, whereas the foam soaked in after a few rubs of the hands.

SoloBlackWidowSpidersWebSite Mon 18-Oct-10 11:33:23

I found the childrens foamy one was very perfumed, which was off putting for me rather than Dd. She quite liked it, but never having used that type before was fairly confused as to why I was pumping this into her mitts instead of hunting for a toilet with basin and soap and water. She thought it smelled of strawberries and wouldn't accept that it was apple!

The clear gel one was I found quite harsh ~ drying even, but had a pleasant cucumber scent.

No. Though I'd be more likely to buy the clear one and keep it in my handbag for emergencies. I do usually carry one around with me anyway.

Answered above.

I wouldn't not recommend them. If I was asked if I'd use it by someone, then I'd say yes.

Yes.

If soap is not available in a public toilet (got caught out with no soap in Tesco toilets and was glad of the gel in my bag for Dd and me).

I think that if a child see's their parent/s washing their hands at appropriate times, then that's a good lead. Teach your lo's how to wash their hands and tell them to wash their hands before they eat, after school, playing etc.

Tesco incident above and when picnicing, my friend stepped in dog mess and had to use baby wipes to clean her shoe. I gave her my gel santitiser to be safe (was before this trial, so wasn't Cuticura, but it would've been handy had she had some) after she'd wiped her hands with a wipe.

My thoughts on hand hygiene?

I do think that if you teach your children to wash their hands properly, it will become second nature to them.

My late Dad almost died of C difficile in 2007 after he came out of hospital. I do believe that this wouldn't have occured for him or any other sufferer if people were more anal about hand cleanliness.

SoloBlackWidowSpidersWebSite Mon 18-Oct-10 11:36:07

Meant to say that I found them very sticky which lasted longer that my usual one.

Really liked them. It was easy to use on DD as the container can be used one handed. easy to rub in and didn;t leave coatings on my wedding rings like some other products.
Yes, definitely!
Apple smell very nice, handy size containers for bags or in the car
Already have!

Always in the change bag and on my desk at work
Nappy changes, visitng public toilets. At the moment my workmate is having chemo so we all use a lot.

~ Can you recall specific times when a bottle of Cuticura could have come in handy
When we take Dd to the beach at the weekend, she loves to try to eat sand and seaweed!
Mealtimes out and about.

hagspookerghoulie Mon 18-Oct-10 11:55:45

Both the adults gel and the kids hand foamer were in the car and have been used daily with the exception of sunday. Products were compact and convenient and ensured bug free hands after a germ ridden day at school and before car snacks !!?!!

Would definitely buy the kids foamer. My kids have used hand gels before (not Cuticura) and generally it could only be described as a 'gel bath'hmm! This product is brilliant however. They can squirt themselves (which was fun) and because a regulated amount is ejected, the job is done with the minimum of fuss.

The adult gel I'm not too sure about tbh. The only issue I had with it was that the consistency was extremely runny and that meant a good percentage of the time too much was dispensed. This meant that as our hands were left wet we were continually shaking them to dry them off (kids were ducking and diving to avoid the spray!) We didn't wipe them dry although the temptation was there. I did resort to using the kids foamer on more than one occasion grin (I love that one).

The smell of both were fresh and lovely. The kids really liked the apple smell - they much preferred it over the adult gel but we adults liked them both. To me, the gel reminded me of cucumbers (my fave salad item!) - not sure if this was how it was supposed to smell however. DDs friend, who was in the car one day, commented the gel smelled like her mums kitchen sink shock??!! Methinks my general cleaning products are not in the same league as DDs friends mum!

The kids foamer 'feel' was spot on, both for me and the kids. The foam squirt was about the right amount and it was absobed quickly leaving no sticky residue. As previously alluded to, the adult gel was very runny. I suspect as a result of this too much was dispensed meaning a longer drying time and a very 'sticky' period. Patience, however, allowed the stickiness to disperse without further intervention.

I would 100% recommend the kids foamer - in fact would be inclined to recommend for adults too - but would be less inclined to recommend the adult gel tbh.

Almost always in my bag. There is always one in each of our cars.

After school, after shopping trips, before eating in cafes and restaurants and picnics, motorway service stations and public toilets if no soap (hmm, am wondering if I am a little paranoid!)

Cuticura Kids hand foamer is brill and small enough to keep in your bags - would thoroughly recommend (have no idea how much it costs though?!)

Dog walking - just nice to have one in your pocket after a poo picking session!

Couple of quiestions for Dr Lisa:

1) DS needs to be really encouraged to wash his hands with soap and water especially in public toilets - can only guess he never does it at school. Is there any problem with using foamer/gel instead of (in these circumstances) soap?

2) in relation to above really - can you over-use?

3) is the difference between the adult and childs treatments alcohol? If so, does this mean the childrens foam is less effective?

Thanks and have thoroughly enjoyed reviewing your product.

hagspookerghoulie Mon 18-Oct-10 12:01:36

Just read thread to date - Jux - vodka grin grin - the cucumber in a Pimms maybe!!!

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 18-Oct-10 12:05:21

A couple of you have mentioned trouble opening the adult one - Cuticura have asked me to alert you that they did pop some sticky tape over the lid to prevent leakage in transit - could that explain opening issues perhaps?

What did you think of the products overall?
absolutely loved the kids foaming one - my 3 girls aged 1, 4 and 6 were all happy to use it and I found myself using it more than I thought I would as it was so easy and fun to use. In comparison the adult one was messy and drippy and didn't smell good.

~ Would you buy the products? I will be buying the kid's version again and will use it with the whole family.

~ What did you think of the smell and feel of the products? the kid's foam orange smelled lovely and was not at all sticky. The adult version was too strong smelling and it felt like I wanted to use a towel after.

yes! would recommend the kid's foamer to be used by the whole family. smile

thanks for letting us try it out.

Goooooooooooooober Mon 18-Oct-10 12:34:47

We like them both.
~Would you buy the products?
Yes. Both of them, for sure.
The adults gel smells of vodka and cucumber. 2 of my favourite things. grin And is easy to rub in, disappears quickly into skin. Leaves no stickyness or residue. The kids foamer is mildly orangey but nice smelling. DS uses this at least 4 times a day, it will soon be empty. This also rubs in easily.
Yes. I already have!
The adult gel is kept in my pocket when I take the dog out for walk. DS keeps the kids foamer in his school bag.
Used the most after handling dog poo and using the poo bins whilst out. DS uses the foamer before snacks and lunch and after using the loo.
Would reccomend keeping bottles of your product in various locations, the car, handbag, pocket so it is always available.
Using a friend's loo where the towel looked as though she had wiped the floor with it!

Have enjoyed and benefitted from this trial. Thanks to all.

Tip from non tester - if you want your kids to have clean hands, you have to practice what you preach and clean your hands a lot. It's hard remembering everything especially when you are potty training or have multiple children to look after but if you get into the habit with them of frequent hand cleaning (coming in from play, before lunch, after toileting etc.) and they see you do it, they are more likely to keep it up.

bosch Mon 18-Oct-10 13:01:40

-What did you think of the products overall?
I particularly liked the children's foamer which smelt nice and dispensed the right amount with only one pump which dispersed well. The adult gel did seem to take an unreasonable amount of time to disperse. Wasn't sure if it was more drying/less moisturising than the children's foamer?

Definitely the children's foamer.

We had the orange children's foamer which was a big hit with ds3. Not convinced about feel of adult gel.

Only if prompted, as it were.

Handbag or car.

When walking friends dog/at park with the boys.

Make it a routine to wash your hands with soap after going to the toilet (still trying to get 9 year old ds1 to remember....)

When we take a picnic to the park.

And a question for Dr Lisa:
Is there a difference between how effective the children's foamer and the adult gel are at killing bugs? If not, then I would defo just carry the children's foamer for us all to use.

skippyhippy Mon 18-Oct-10 13:09:01

I usually have a bottle of the clear Cuticura hand gel in the change bag - agree it smells of cucumber - I like it as it's fresh and clean.

It's really handy when you can't get to hot water and soap. Which seem to be increasingly in short supply in public conveniences. This really annoys me - does it wind anyone else up? Or am I just being a grump!

Worst situation (and of course the day I didn't have a hand gel with me) was rolling in goose poo at Legoland whilst having a picnic with my little boy. Was disgusting...wipes didn't do the job...and I've since found out that goose poo can be really dangerous. Thankfully, Legoland do provide hot water and soap in their loos!

Q for Dr Lisa - can we be over paranoid about hand hygiene?

Q for other mums - any advice for getting a toddler to wash his hands? Potty training at the moment and it's hard enough getting him on the loo - let alone to the sink!

Jux Mon 18-Oct-10 13:40:20

Got the sticky tape off. Maybe it's just my weak hands, I can't pop the top. Perhaps it's stiff, or maybe it really is faulty.

I would buy the kids' stuff again though, if it weren't too expensive and if it's stocked in our small town which doesn't seem to stock lots of things (like school socks, kids' underwear, good books etc etc etc).

greaseistheword Mon 18-Oct-10 13:44:54

the childrens foam was easier to get the right amount needed.they were both good handy sized bottles and did what they were supposed to.
i would buy them both.
we had the orange kids one.we really liked the smell of this one.i thought the adults one smelled of watermelon which i liked.i prefered the smell of the adults and my dds prefered the kids smell.
i thought the kids foam left hands feeling a bit sticky afterwards.the adults left hands feeling better.
yes i would recommend them.
yes i always keep a bottle of handgel in my back because you never know when your/kids hands will get dirty.
they are especially good to have when using public toilets cause the water in the taps are sometimes really hot so my dds use the gel.
always have a hand hygiene gel with you so you will always have children with clean hands.

greaseistheword Mon 18-Oct-10 13:46:36

sorry i have namechanged was sookie1980 when i entered to get the prouducts.

TitsalinaBumPumpkin Mon 18-Oct-10 13:58:27

We liked the Adults one but wernt as keen on the childrens one.

We already buy the Gel (adult) one frequently, probably wouldn't buy the childrens one.

We really didn't like the smell of the Childrens foam, it was very synthetic and didn't smell of Oranges, we found it to be a bit sticky aswell.
The adults one was fine it drys quickly and left hands feeling clean and fresh.

Adults one yes, childs one no.

Yes i have one with me at all times and dotted around the house.

I use it as DS has a very low immune system and when im doing his IV antibiotics, we also use it after using the toilet (as well as soap and water) and before and after eating. Also if the children have been playing outdoors or at soft play.

I let my kids gets as dirty as they like but always caryy wet wipes and gel to clean them easily afterwards.

Very handy in soft play centers where everything is a little bit grubby, also good for playing with toys in Dr's rooms and when eating out.

TitsalinaBumPumpkin Mon 18-Oct-10 14:00:01

I was TitsalinaBumSquash when i entered btw. smile

I also forgot to add i like the size of both as they are very portable, i would also suggest a clip to so i could put it on my jeans or something.

Thanks for letting us trial.

EvilStar Mon 18-Oct-10 14:13:45

I liked both the products, the adult version eeemed more moisturising than my usual supermarket own brand and the kids product smelt really fresh and rubbed in very easily

Definitely, I was really impressed how clean my hands felt after using them, and how fresh the children's hands were with the foam

Really nice, I found the children were really happy to use the foam on an outing with friends to a children's farm, my friend's 7 year old boy actually asked to use the foam again whilst we were going round

I already have, particularly the childrens' product, I hadn't tried anything like that before and anything that gets a 7 year old boy wanting clean hands has to be a winner in my book! As I work at a pre-school I have also recommended the adult product to my colleagues, as we have to wash our hands constantly and having this in your apron pocket for moments you can't get straight to the sink is really helpful.

I am usually Evenstar by the way!!

Hulababy Mon 18-Oct-10 14:14:31

Original Hand Hygiene Gel

Good. Very similar to other products ont he market.

Yes, depending on price and availability.

Very neutral, no strong alcohol scent

Yes

Kids Hand Hygiene Foamer (orange)

Very pleased. My 8y daughter found it easier to use and non sticky.

Yes, she liked this and was happy to use it, so would buy.

Non sticky and a pleasant orangey smell.

Yes.

Hulababy Mon 18-Oct-10 14:16:29

I usually carry one in my school bag (I work in infant school) and also one in the bag I use when out walking/geocaching.

Ater dealing with children at school, esp when bugs going around like at the moment.

Use it when out geocaching and having to hunt around in undergrowth, under logs, etc.

Gloves and gel/wipes afterwards
Not to worry about a bit of dirt! grin

Yes, many a times when at school with my Y1 class!!!

EvilStar Mon 18-Oct-10 14:19:56

Sorry just realised there were some more questions! blush

Yes I do and in my work apron pocket and sometimes in the car on journeys

Before eating if there are no hand washing faciilites available, after using public toilets if hand washing facilities inadequate or for extra reasssurance, at work especially when I have been wiping noses. After doing nappy changes at work as well as washing hands with soap and water. If I have been in a shop and been served by someone with a bad cold.

To avoid illnesses always ensure that your child washes their hands every time before eating and after using the toilet, and washing your hands immediately you come back into the house after an outing is a good idea.

On picnics and before eating snacks when you are out, also public toilets if handwashing facilities inadequate or needing extra reassurance

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now