WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus one follow-up once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't moan if your question doesn't get answered. 4. Do be civil/polite. See full guidelines here.

Live Webchat with Club Penguin founder, Lane Merrifield on Monday 5th July between 1.30 and 2.30

(61 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 30-Jun-10 14:36:55

Club Penguin is one of the fastest growing virtual worlds for children aged 6 - 14 and many parents will be familiar with the sight of their children's Penguins waddling through the virtual world, throwing parties in their igloos or chatting with other penguins.

Lane Merrifield, alongside colleagues Dave Krysko and Lance Priebe, co-founded Club Penguin in 2005. The site development was self-funded and designed as a safe, ad free, online playground for the children in their lives to explore (then site was later bought by Disney in 2007).

Lane as a father of two, co-founder of Disney Club Penguin and executive Vice President of Disney Online Studios is joining us and able to answer any questions parents might have about Club Penguin. Whether it's starting a business, setting online boundaries and making sure your child is safe online, what Club Penguin membership means or why your kid's Puffle ran away, Lane can take your questions and provide answers to questions that might not have been fulfilled through Mumsnet Talk. Join Lane here next Monday at 1.30 and if you're unable to join us but have a question you'd like to ask him, post to this thread.

LaneMerrifield Mon 05-Jul-10 14:34:51

Katisha had a few questions.

Unfortunately Captain Rockhopper doesn't let any other penguins sail with him on his ship so none of them have ever been to Rockhopper island.

Yes, there are plenty of secret items all over the island, hidden in various catalogs, as well as within the world. We always work hard to make sure a certain percentage of items have to be "discovered."

Regarding the background, Billybob doesn't have one yet, but hopefully in the future.

Lane

LaneMerrifield Mon 05-Jul-10 14:36:29

Regarding your question, paisleyleaf, Islandsofsordor is correct. You do not need to be a member to enjoy the Nintendo DS game to the fullest.

pugsandseals Mon 05-Jul-10 14:38:01

Thats made DD very excited - thankyou!

LaneMerrifield Mon 05-Jul-10 14:39:39

Thanks for the idea deepdarkwood, we do consider making a younger version at times (and I'll have to ask the folks at Disney abou the 10% ), but we have usually landed at instead, trying to find a way to make the existing experience more accessible so that siblings can play together and not on separate worlds.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 05-Jul-10 14:40:38

The hour is over - Many thanks to Lane Merrifield for joining us today to answer our questions.

Katisha Mon 05-Jul-10 14:42:54

Thanks Lane - DS will be delighted to get your answers!

LaneMerrifield Mon 05-Jul-10 14:43:13

Finbar, I'm sorry to hear about your sons experience with the EPF Field Ops.

As that was only launched a few weeks ago, it seems we still have a few bugs to work out. I was told this latest mission was easier to locate and we will work to make sure the experience continues to improve as we recieve feedback from kids and parents.

LaneMerrifield Mon 05-Jul-10 14:47:44

stoppinattwo, I'm not sure why your child was banned. If you haven't heard from us after a couple of days, feel free to resend the email. Like everyone, our email servers aren't always flawless. We also recieve 5,000-10,000 emails per day and although we attempt to answer all of them the same day, sometimes that isn't always the case.

LaneMerrifield Mon 05-Jul-10 14:48:59

Thanks everyone for taking the time to ask questions. I really appreciate the opportunity to connect with so many parents in one place.

Dear RachelMumnet

I missed the live chat with Lane yesterday, as I had to go to the hospital with my son. Lane asked for my son's club penguin name so he could give him "something". If it is not too late, could you let him know that my ds name on clubpenguin is nikkicassie. I appreciate that this may not be possible, and I am being a bit cheeky asking, but it was such a nice gesture, and my ds would be thrilled.

Many thanks for you time.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 06-Jul-10 17:55:52

Hi SparkleRainbow, Sorry you missed the chat - I'll certainly pass on your message and the name of your son on CB - fingers crossed something turns up smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now