WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus one follow-up. 2. Keep your question brief. 3. Don't moan if your question doesn't get answered. 4. Do be civil/polite. More here.

Yvette Cooper - secretary of state for work and pensions - live on Mumsnet this Tues, 27 April, 2-3pm

(101 Posts)
GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 26-Apr-10 16:32:48

Yvette Cooper is secretary of state for work and pensions, and has been Labour MP for Pontefract, Castleford and Knottingley since 1997.

She's coming to Mumsnet to talk about Labour's family policies tomorrow from 2-3pm.

Yvette was born in Inverness in 1969. She's married to Ed Balls, secretary of state for children, schools and families, and they have three children (two daughters and one son).

Feel free to post your questions here and join us tomorrow (and please read our webchat guidelines).

PinkoLiberal Wed 28-Apr-10 10:01:22

And ye MAdwoman exactly

I've finsihed Uni, I don't need to know what I can claim thanks, I just would prefer a more sensible situation for anyone following after me.

I know you can't claim CA in the summer hols, that is the problem frankly. Student with no money = get a job; student carer with no money = fucked

But of course why would we help anyone lift themselves out anyway eh?
When a report I used in my last essay using stats from about 6 yeras ago showed a carer easily saves the government around £1k a week vby being stuck at home

PinkoLiberal Wed 28-Apr-10 09:58:28

We had a talk from the lady from NIOCE at Uni (doing MA in ASD) and they are looking as well at what to do post dx- so what to recommend etc

The lady I know is a very well respected professional (won't say what as unfair to out her iyswim) and I have faith in her, she works on the complex ASD team and that's a choice / intereest thing ehre- no allocated budget

Chances are sod all will happen as ever, you know and I know what it's like (sob) but the more people like her actually get invovled the better imo

BTW are you someone on MN I recognise who has changed name? Seen you about a bit altely and can't work out if I do or not LOL- am Peachy btw. Or clarissimo depending on mood.

Sadly i don't think the sday when we get standard funded ABA (in fact quite a lot of the Uni profs seem quite biased agianst ABA) or DIR, sensory therapies seem more 'in' tbh, and the Uni lot seem to think we're heading more towards an era of breaking down the causes ofn the specific asd presentation and addressing that instead.

AgnesDiPesto Wed 28-Apr-10 00:16:54

if Yvette's researcher is reading this afterwards say thank you for at least trying to answer the autism question and saying positive things about ABA but NICE guidelines are only for diagnosis not for intervention as this is education not health, so you have got that wrong - NICE guidelines aren't going to help. I'd just like to see some clear national guidance of one sort or another.

madwomanintheattic Tue 27-Apr-10 22:33:22

i don't know why i bother reading these things tbh.

i think the points re dla and ca was that the actual policies were flawed. was kind of hoping for some response towards the flaws.

but thanks for pointing us back towards the policies anyway. i suppose. <sighs heavily>

gingercat12 Tue 27-Apr-10 21:09:16

Thanks Yvette smile

onadietcokebreak Tue 27-Apr-10 20:46:39

Typical politican...skirted the issues about family policies in her own department.

Mumcentreplus Tue 27-Apr-10 20:31:34

Thanks Yvette wink

AngryWasp Tue 27-Apr-10 18:17:48

Did she answer my question?

NinthWave Tue 27-Apr-10 17:27:18

Thankyou Yvette

LeninGrad Tue 27-Apr-10 15:32:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 27-Apr-10 15:32:11

Thanks very much to Yvette for coming on and thanks to everyone who posted questions and took part.

ahundredtimes Tue 27-Apr-10 15:26:16

Thank you for coming. I'm reading all your posts with great interest.

Tory MP name excellent - and actually weirdly plausible.

YvetteCooper Tue 27-Apr-10 15:18:16

Message withdrawn

YvetteCooper Tue 27-Apr-10 15:16:06

Message withdrawn

YvetteCooper Tue 27-Apr-10 15:11:52

Message withdrawn

YvetteCooper Tue 27-Apr-10 15:09:23

Message withdrawn

YvetteCooper Tue 27-Apr-10 15:07:21

Message withdrawn

longbay Tue 27-Apr-10 14:59:16

Hi Yvette
I'm not sure if this is your area but is it so impossible for GP surgeries not to be open on a weekend?
Even if a practice of 4 GP's took it in turns to do one weekend a month. It would make a huge difference to Mum's like me who have to go to their local hospital if our child gets ill on a weekend!!
Last Saturday I waited 4hrs in hospital with my 10mths old baby to get a prescription for conjunctivitis!!

ahundredtimes Tue 27-Apr-10 14:59:09

LG - was your question to do with what GB said in the debates re women's pensions, the 'you are a woman' bit? I didn't understand that at the time blush

What a good idea though!

gingercat12 Tue 27-Apr-10 14:55:47

I mean to keep them in work.

mmrsceptic Tue 27-Apr-10 14:54:45

thank you and thanks again Lenin

LeninGrad Tue 27-Apr-10 14:54:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

gingercat12 Tue 27-Apr-10 14:53:30

herbietea Sorry, I thought you said MNers were persisting.
Well, there is no money, but I still think it is sensible and probably cheaper not to keep women in work, rather than trying to retrain and then re-employ them in 10 years' time.

YvetteCooper Tue 27-Apr-10 14:52:07

sorry, last answer was to Ottavia on Ed's worst habit.

CaptainNancy Tue 27-Apr-10 14:52:06

<<coughs>> if you've time to talk about women entering politics please?

Also, what was your favourite book when you were a child?

That is all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now