WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus one follow-up once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't moan if your question doesn't get answered. 4. Do be civil/polite. See full guidelines here.

Michael Gove - Conservative Shadow Schools and Families Minister - live on Mumsnet this Thursday 29th, 1-2pm

(271 Posts)
JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 26-Apr-10 12:50:50

Michael Gove is the shadow secretary of state for children, schools and families and a key part of David Cameron's Shadow Cabinet team, responsible for Conservative policy on education and child protection. He is the Tory candidate in Surrey Heath.

One of the centrepiece's of the Conservatives election manifesto is allowing parents and other providers to set up schools with state funding, about which there's been lots of discussion on Mumsnet. Other pledges include 10,000 extra university places, allowing state schools to offer the International Baccalaureate and a moratorium on the closure of special schools.

Born in Edinburgh in 1967 and brought up in Aberdeen. He's married to Times writer Sarah Vine and they have a son and a daughter, both of primary school age.

Please post advance questions for Michael here (and do please read our webchat guidelines if you're not already aware of them).

Many thanks.

gibrock Wed 02-Jun-10 00:23:32

Please look into why my bright child has not been entitled to his full statement or any help in the school. Barking & Dagenham say funding for special needs does not apply to a child but in general for all children. My child is being made more disabled by this being home taught on part time and part time school due to funding. I therefore have to rely on benefits both becoming more dependant where if things worked correctly my child is capable of then becoming more independant to a degree and so would I. If parents could have a voucher to go with our child per term then it would protect his entitlement.Then unnecessary meetings with appeals for help which never gets you no where only the civil servants wages made bigger with nothing being done.HELP to change this.Also what is the point of statements if it cannot be inforced.

Piamom Mon 03-May-10 13:17:21

What security will you provide for really positive intervention strategies such as Playing for Success that boost confidence and motivation in middle of the road learners?

ronshar Sun 02-May-10 22:08:04

Yah MG answered my question and I'm def not new.

Although I always feel that none of the politicians actually give the details of any of their answers. Doesnt seem to matter which party they are from.

I loved the Poker face. Bloody well timed.

Aitch Sun 02-May-10 19:52:04

do tell...

nighbynight Sun 02-May-10 06:42:54

I had a backstage view of the union in the aftermath of MGs presidency.

MailyDail Sat 01-May-10 20:09:18

i was invited but it was a bit of a schlep for one night from up here in the end. agree gove a good talker. in fact i probably didn't know him well enough to get beyond that, to be fair, i only knew him a bit. was v surprised when he never came out of closet, for example, our crowd always assumed he was gay, despite girlfriends etc.

nighbynight Sat 01-May-10 17:35:10

I meant aitch, actually Su! I know you were there.
Agree about the school governers though.

SuSylvester Sat 01-May-10 17:19:37

i was! ahem.

nighbynight Sat 01-May-10 17:18:36

were you at the MN knees up btw? I didnt see anyone I knew, but I thought that as a mn contributor you might have been there?

nighbynight Sat 01-May-10 17:01:52

Aitch - yes, I do.

Gove is a good talker.
IMO, the most genuinely talented, honest and hard working politician from our generation at Oxford is Andrew Mennear.
Though there are several more that I like personally.

(I dont count David Cameron in that assessment, btw. He seems OK, but he only ever mixed with other nobs at Oxford, so I dont know himgrin)

SuSylvester Sat 01-May-10 11:35:43

lo at run your own school
no feucker wants to be a school governor/.

animula Sat 01-May-10 11:30:49

BoffinMum - Well, I think our area is going to see the first. My guess is the first few won't be allowed to fail. So it'll take a while for the more, erm, interesting examples to appear.

In the meantime, I'm guessing they will need a lot of money and support to actually make sure they don't fall apart. Money and support redirected from other schools in the area.

<sigh>

AitchTwoZone Fri 30-Apr-10 20:31:52

did you know ian and chris and that crew?

AitchTwoZone Fri 30-Apr-10 20:31:29

haha nightby, we MUST have met in a previous life. i always liked gove, i must say. remember him covering the election when major got back in... absolutely delighted while pretending impartiality for sky.

BoffinMum Fri 30-Apr-10 18:40:09

Oh My Actual God.

Teach First alumni let loose with taxpayers' money to set up their own schools?

Am I the only person that objects to 23-year-olds with just four weeks' teacher training 'lite' being encouraged to do this?

They'll be getting people who've dabbled at a bit of dentistry in their gap year to take out wisdom teeth next.

<fans self and waves smelling salts in front of nose>

SanctiMoanyArse Fri 30-Apr-10 13:37:54

I'd like to be over the school helping to run it but I have a sneaky that Mr Runs My Own School won't be taking in my SN kids and they will be left elsewhere to fester!

I'm not voting Tory becuase I can't pay any taxes and I think that make sme bottom of their list. Worse, I think it makes m,y chidlren bottom of the list.

(When I say Ic an't, Dh does but no, I suspect, enough)

nighbynight Fri 30-Apr-10 11:46:29

And that run your own school stuff is nonsense. dd2 has been at one of these run your own kindergartens in germany - it was a nightmare for me!
Hello, I have to keep a roof over our heads, I havent got time to be down at the school running it. I expect well trained professionals to be doing their jobs while I get on with mine.

nighbynight Fri 30-Apr-10 11:43:02

MG's always been good at turning a joke or witty debating point (memories of university). When running the country, I wouldnt trust him to get the job done though. He is def one of the reasons why I wont be voting tory.

jonicomelately Fri 30-Apr-10 10:42:14

He didn't answer my question. Will this message get deleted if I call him a ts*r?

NormaSnorks Fri 30-Apr-10 10:21:05

Damn - I missed it - it looked like a great webchat too - one of the best so far..

Loved 'pokerface' - he sounds a really nice bloke with good commonsense.

and <whispers> I find that photo of him strangely sexy blush

Eek...

slug Fri 30-Apr-10 09:11:33

Damn, I missed it. Otherwise I could have pointed out that he completely failed to answer my question. In fact, I'm quite annoyed that he seems to have deliberately missunderstood what I said. I don't want any more divisive faith schools. I don't think they give a better education. I just want the local schools that are funded by my taxes to be open to all children, not just the select few.

angry

SanctiMoanyArse Thu 29-Apr-10 22:26:06

Oh absolutely I agree Oracle about rising (you probably know me as Peachy? 2 kids with ASD, half an MA in ASD LOL) but my issues with Simon baron Cohen are that he focuses so heavily on HFA kids, which is only a aprt of the picture, and I am afraid that his argument about not terminating ASD chidlren becuase it may result in a loss in maths geniuses or similar completely missed the point of the individual worth of disablee chidlren in themselves

Totally agree about a mixed menu- atm I have one in an SNU and one in MS looking at AS Base in 2011

TheFallenMadonna Thu 29-Apr-10 21:57:26

And he could tell I was a teacher because I said so. Hmm.

TheFallenMadonna Thu 29-Apr-10 21:56:14

Hmm.

No answer for me either. And he had plenty of time to prepare. Posted it on Monday.

Couldn;t join the chat today, 'cos I was working. In school.

goldenticket Thu 29-Apr-10 21:08:26

He answered mine and I'm not "new" <stern look>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now