MN WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus a follow-up question if appropriate, ie once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't be disappointed if your specific question doesn't get answered and do try not to keep posting "What about me?". 4. Do be civil/polite. See guidelines in full here.

Come and have a Big Night In with Sarah Brown (for charidee) - this Thurs, Feb 11th, 9-10pm

(252 Posts)
JustineMumsnet Belgium (MNHQ) Mon 08-Feb-10 10:59:46

This Thursday, Feb 11th, Mumsnet will be hosting a Big Night In, in aid of PiggyBankKids, the charity founded by Sarah Brown. Sarah will be joining us for a glass of wine, a sausage roll or two and a webchat. If you want to hang out / post a question / share a virtual sausage roll in the normal way, that's fine. But if you feel the urge to get a bit more involved there's a couple of things you can do:
You can host your own Big Night In - the idea being that you (and your staying-in friends) donate whatever you would have spent going out to PiggyBankKids.

And/or you can check out the PiggyBankKids website and have a browse in their shop. Everyone who donates or buys something between now and Feb 21st (and they have mints starting at £2 so you don't need to be flash with cash) will be entered into a prize draw to win either this fab George Clooney-signed piggybank (and we'll obviously do our best to make sure he delivers it personally smile) or an equally fab pig signed by Ruth Jones (Nessa from Gavin and Stacey).

To enter tick the box when you check out to confirm that you are a Mumsnet member and you agree to the terms and conditions.

Mumsnet will be donating all CAT subscriptions given in Feb and March to this fab charity which aims to give UK children the best possible chance of living a healthy and happy life.

As well as being President of PiggyBankKids, which she founded in 2002, Sarah is also patron of a number of charities addressing healthcare and women's issues including Wellbeing of Women, Women's Aid, and Maggie's Cancer Caring Centres. She is also the Global Patron of the White Ribbon Alliance for Safe Motherhood, and Co-chair of the High Level Leadership Group on Maternal Mortality convened by the Global Leaders Network. Sarah is married to Gordon Brown and has two sons.

As usual, for those who can't make it on the night, we'll be gathering some advance questions which Sarah has promised to have a look at, so if you're not around on Feb 11th (or if you're worried you might get carried away on your Big Night In and want to get your sensible question in now) you can post it on this thread.

champagnesupernova Mon 08-Feb-10 11:29:07

Oh well done MN towers for doing this.

I did a Big Night In a few years back (pre DC when a night in was a rarity hmm) after seeing it in a magazine.

We had a hilarious film night of Dirty Dancing an interesting foreign film with subtitles and raised £100 without blinking. Wonder what I should do this time.

Will have to put thinking cap on for question for Mrs Brown though.

FabIsGoingToBeFabIn2010 Mon 08-Feb-10 12:55:48

No question other than to say I remember when you and Gordon got married and your kiss in the garden was filmed. You looked very shy. I think you look lovely now and have 2 gorgeous boys. And you make a lovely change from CB. wink

YoureGorgeous Mon 08-Feb-10 14:41:15

oh lord we have to stay IN
sheesh
ok will read

YoureGorgeous Mon 08-Feb-10 14:41:29

id rather a reclaim teh night hoo ha

wink

morningpaper Mon 08-Feb-10 14:47:49

Wow blimey

I shall be here Thursday night! And will think of something mature and sensible to ask

LeninGrad Mon 08-Feb-10 14:52:56

I am going out unusually. Please reschedule as I've hardly been out in the evening in six months. I'm sure Sarah will understand. Thanks.

ruddynorah Mon 08-Feb-10 15:50:55

will she join in just on a webchat or will she join in on any threads of her choosing? that might be fun smile

morningpaper Mon 08-Feb-10 16:35:07

Yes that would be fun, ply her with wine and then get her to start a thread about the things that annoy her about Gordon...

squeaver Mon 08-Feb-10 16:57:14

I'm sure she's already here...

Ok, I have a question.

Sarah: Piers Morgan? Really?

cocolepew United States Mon 08-Feb-10 18:39:07

Oh I can't Lost is on at that time. Can I ask a question? Hello Sarah what's your favourite tv programme?

And, if you watch it, could you explain Lost to me? I can't make head nor tail of it.
Thanks smile

Doobydoo Mon 08-Feb-10 20:54:15

Great idea BUT...can you ask Gordon what he thinks about recommendations for 1 to 1 nursing in NICU please?
My daughter was also born prematurely and died at 13 days old in NICU.I have worked as a Paediatric nurse and am near the end of a return to nursing course[I took time out to have my 2 sons]I am hoping to work with neonates.There is a woeful shortage of staff in this area and surely for possible best outcomes as well as research the ratio of babies to nurse could be improved.What do you think?

MavisEnderby Mon 08-Feb-10 23:18:52

Hope you pull the death of child/election ploy thread then.

I would like to ask her if Gordon ever discusses major decisions with her to garner her opinion.

The old "Behind every great man" saying

Also whether having a child with health issues/additional needs has changed her and how?

I will be coming back from Exeter on the train then, so am likely to miss it, which is a great shame sad.

Will try and think of a question to post before then.

quantitativeteasing Tue 09-Feb-10 10:29:59

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

morningpaper Tue 09-Feb-10 10:48:09

Well we will all miss you a great deal, seeing as that's ermmm your first post on Mumsnet. hmm

quantitativeteasing Tue 09-Feb-10 12:52:37

Tis my new name, MP. I rather like it. [twirl]

quantitativeteasing Tue 09-Feb-10 12:58:13

quantitativeteasing Tue 09-Feb-10 12:59:37

JustineMumsnet Belgium (MNHQ) Tue 09-Feb-10 13:25:06

Hi quantitativeteasing,

Number 4 of our webchat guidelines:
Obviously you're free to voice your opinion, but do be civil/polite - please afford our guests the same cordiality you would if they stopped by your own house.

Many thanks,
MNHQ

ExperimentSixTwoSix Tue 09-Feb-10 13:47:47

Hi Sarah,

I'm at an annoying important committee meeting on Thursday night so can't make this.

My question:

How much is your life like someone like Abigail Bartlett's?

I know that being Wife of PM is different to being FLOTUS but I s'pose I mean things like: -
- how much time do you actually get to spend TOGETHER?

- how much is your privacy invaded by security/advisor types? I'm thinking people in and out of the flat, etc etc

- what's been the coolest thing you've done since moving to Number 10??

(note to MNHQ this is one question with explanatory followups grin)

LeninGrad Tue 09-Feb-10 13:52:13

No question, but just wanted to acknowledge all the work you do, especially on maternal health. It makes a difference I'm sure.

Porpoise Tue 09-Feb-10 13:54:42

Hi Sarah

What made you decide to Tweet so much? Did you expect to attract so many followers?

And does Gordon know his way around Twitter?

morningpaper Tue 09-Feb-10 20:08:36

I want to ask things like "bloody hell, I bet Gordon was jolly pleased not to be left on the shelf!" (didn't they get together when he was 46?) and "He seems jolly serious, isn't it like being married to Thomas Aquinas?!" or "What part of his body do you like the most?!" or "What's really ANNOYING about living with him?" but I'm working on something more sensible

<may not come up with anything more sensible>

AbricotsSecs Tue 09-Feb-10 21:41:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now