MN WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus a follow-up question if appropriate, ie once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't be disappointed if your specific question doesn't get answered and do try not to keep posting "What about me?". 4. Do be civil/polite. See guidelines in full here.

Mumsnet kitchen table on family policy with David Willetts and (hopefully) Ed Balls - who fancies taking part? (This Thursday - at MN Towers or Central London location)

(219 Posts)
JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 11-Jan-10 14:25:01

Would you like to put your own and Mumsnetters' questions to David Willetts (Shadow Secretary of State for Innovation, Universities and Schools) and Ed Balls (Secretary of State for Children, Schools and Families)? (Ed Balls has yet to confirm but David Willetts is definitely on).

We're looking for 4 Mumsnetters to take part in a Mumsnet kitchen table event to discuss policies on the family, on marriage (including tax breaks for married couples); paternity/maternity rights; relationship support etc

It's a joint venture with BBC1's politics show and will be filmed for the Beeb and for MN - to go out on Sunday at 12 noon.

Let us know here if you're interested!

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 13-Jan-10 19:19:54

Yay, hobbgoblin! - great news. Have just emailed you.

(Ewe - you're still on - don't worry!)

Ewe Wed 13-Jan-10 19:42:59

Just spoke to the researcher, she was very sweet! Really hope I can make it in tomorrow.

Beccatheboo Wed 13-Jan-10 21:31:53

Slight hijack. Moomoomalarky, although I don't think the question can/will be raised to David Willetts, I agree with your point about the housing crisis. Although I totally agree that women with children should be able to work if they wish, it seems to me that many are driven into work because of money worries - largely because of inaffordable housing. I had a job I loved when I had my first child, but I wanted to give up to become a SAHM and experience my child's formative years first-hand, and not hear about firsts from a childminder or nursery. Luckily I was able to do so, although not without compromise. In my opinion, this thread is weighted to those wanting wraparound care, and not people who want support to stay at home. (I am not a single parent, but would be interested to hear the Tories clarify their position about forcing single parents back into work - at what age?)

Perhaps as an aside, my son goes to a sessional nursery that is someway behind full daycare funding. We are struggling to recruit a new supervisor, yet if we were a daycare nursery the government would be throwing money at us to attract a graduate. Why should my child potentially have a less qualified teacher because I choose to stay at home but also give him a few hours of interaction with other children?

SuziPR Thu 14-Jan-10 11:36:34

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

SuziPR Thu 14-Jan-10 11:46:04

What time does the webchat start?

Peachy Thu 14-Jan-10 11:48:14

Suzy yes you are too late I think.

suzymiller Thu 14-Jan-10 15:19:02

Message deleted

singlemumsaresuper Thu 14-Jan-10 23:43:14

Thank you all for your verbal support of lone and single parents.

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 15-Jan-10 11:31:17

Report back from filming. Weather issues meant Hobbgoblin and Ewe sadly couldn't make it but our four were brilliant and very rigorous. See them on BBC1 Politics Show this Sunday at 12 and hopefully we're hoping to get the unedited version to show you on Mumsnet too.

hobbgoblin Fri 15-Jan-10 11:34:19

I am sooooo utterly naffed off but very pleased it was a success.

Am hoping for a second chance with Ed's Balls wink. Did he show?

edam Fri 15-Jan-10 16:40:50

singlemum, I don't know if it will be in the edited broadcast version but the four of us who were there made very strong arguments on discrimination against single parents.

He seemed to listen...

WilfSell Fri 15-Jan-10 22:01:42

Ah sorry policygarry. Missed your call for info/questions. Was avoiding threads I might get sucked into in favour of marking. Hope it went well: will set Sky+ for sunday.

HerBeatitude Sun 17-Jan-10 12:50:25

Have I missed it?

WrigglingAndJiggling Sun 17-Jan-10 13:21:35

Missed it. Is there a link to it anywhere online?

ZephirineDrouhin Sun 17-Jan-10 17:02:48

Here it is. Well done everyone.

Am I guessing right that they cut out most of the really interesting bits?

edam Sun 17-Jan-10 18:11:26

Yup.

Ooh loved the tough shot of Policy right at the beginning!

But who was who, amongst the rest?

ZephirineDrouhin Sun 17-Jan-10 18:43:11

Onebat is second from the end (not next to Policy - other end). Edam, which one are you? And what did they cut?

morningpaper Sun 17-Jan-10 18:55:08

oooh. It's from 18.45 minutes in...

None of you looked overly persuaded

edam Sun 17-Jan-10 18:58:10

Well, they filmed for best part of two hours so 99.9% of it. A lot of the discussion about child poverty/single parents/flexible working etc. etc. etc.

Thank heavens they didn't bother with the biscuit angle though. Had clearly thought 'MN - let's do the biscuit thing' had a big plate on the table, Willetts had an answer ready even though we didn't ask (garibaldi, yuck) and they made us all reach for biscuits and empty the plate.

(I'm the one with curly hair - they did NOT shoot from my best side, darn them. grin)

edam Sun 17-Jan-10 18:59:53

Oh, and SEN. To which Willetts rambled on about Cameron knowing what it was like... (yeah, right, I hardly think his experience is typical financially).

darcymum Sun 17-Jan-10 19:01:50

I would love to come but it would be impossible for me to do so.

Could anyone please ask Ed Balls my question-

"Does he plan to do anything to stop private landlords discriminating against people with children and advertising properties to let 'no children' this practise is illegal in other countries?"

Thanks

policygarry Sun 17-Jan-10 19:04:41

It was a mite disappointing wasn't it? Onebat is gutted 'cos her DP phoned everyone they know and told everyone to watch, and then OBM's (very cogent, well expressed) points were completely cut.

edam Sun 17-Jan-10 19:09:17

Yeah, it was bit disappointing. That's editing for you, though. And TV - they always have a script and just want to you fit in with it.

Its worse the other way round, I've got to try to get 1,800 words out of a 45 minute conversation and it is going to be a real pain in the bum involving follow up calls and emails (it's a very specific and horribly detailed piece).

policygarry Sun 17-Jan-10 19:12:20

At least we made it into the Sindy (again)

Good luck with your piece...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now