WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus one follow-up once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't moan if your question doesn't get answered. 4. Do be civil/polite. See full guidelines here.

Live webchat with Nick Clegg, Wed 6 Jan, 1.30-2.30pm

(257 Posts)
GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 04-Jan-10 11:26:28

Kicking off our live webchats for 2010, we're pleased to welcome Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg.

He should be at the Towers just after 1pm (he's hot-footing it from PMQs) and then has to get back to the House for 2.30pm, so it will be a little shorter than usual but we're v glad he can make it.

Nick is MP for Sheffield Hallam, has been Liberal Democrat leader since Dec 2007 and is married with three young children, aged 7, 5 and nine months.

I like how it now looks as though MP's question is directed at Nick grin

LilyBolero Tue 05-Jan-10 13:08:04

Is it right that clever children from professional households with middle incomes should be prejudiced against in terms of university entrance and fees? My children go to state schools, and suggestions have been made that it should be harder for them to get into university, simply because we, their parents, went to uni, and that we should have to pay 10-30k per child per year (interesting on a household income of about 45k before tax). It is seeming less and less likely that our clever academic children with dreams of being doctors and archaeologists will be able to even go to university. How will you protect people like us and our children?

monkeysavingexpertdotcom Tue 05-Jan-10 13:09:58

Dear Nick,

What will your party do to reduce the impact of the BNP in Britain?

Heated Tue 05-Jan-10 13:28:21

Would your party retain the childcare voucher scheme if your party got into power/were power sharing in a hung parliament?

As a key worker the voucher scheme makes it financially possible for me to work.

chocolaterabbit Tue 05-Jan-10 15:38:45

Dear Nick, Lord Archer reported on infected blood transfusions in the 1970s and 1980s and has proposed a full package of measures to improve the lives of those infected with HIV or HCV. This has been rejected by the Government. Your MPs, particularly Jenny Willott, have been active in trying to improve the situation for haemophiliacs. If your party were either to be elected or hold the balance of power in a hung parliament, would this be one of the measures you would be looking to put into effect?

Hassled Tue 05-Jan-10 16:29:37

Nick - what you say to persuade people (like me) who, regardless of how favourably disposed towards the Lib Dems they might be, tend to feel that a Lib Dem vote is a wasted vote? And in my case, I'm in Charles Clarke's constituency where his biggest challenge will come from the Greens, I reckon. Do you see the Green Party as a threat to the Lib Dem vote?

Sorry - I know that's two questions. Either/or is fine .

Swedington Tue 05-Jan-10 19:49:31

Hello Nick, welcome back to Mumsnet.

Q. My children commute to school by train and some mornings they are subjected to bare-breasted women pictures in our tabloid press being thrust in their faces by fellow passengers. It's 2010.

Would the LibDems commit to banning this objectification of women from our print industry?

sausagerolemodel Tue 05-Jan-10 21:08:05

Here is my question.

Why is there a man with a banana on a string in your video about ID cards? (about 31 second in). Was he Lib-Dem stooge?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LONA3Acc5js

sausagerolemodel Tue 05-Jan-10 21:20:57

OK I'm assuming he won't answer that one, so here is my real one.

I have been a longtime electoral supporter (but not activist or campaigner) of the LDs, but am constantly frustrated by what seems like a lack of balls (for want of a better word) to seize the moment and make a case for yourselves - especially when the other lot are bickering like fishwives because YOU HAVE GOOD POLICIES, but seem almost embarrassed by that fact!

My question is - is my opinion distorted because the media always want to portray elections as a two horse race and unfairly don't give you coverage that you deserve to get your policies across?

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 05-Jan-10 21:29:11

Nick Clegg has just found out that he's got to attend a "top level security briefing with the PM" so the time of this chat is slightly delayed to 1.30 and hopefully he'll able to be stick around to 2.30.
Will amend the title of this thread shortly.

But how will he get in? where is he coming in from? (hope he isnt relying on swtrains)

oblong Tue 05-Jan-10 22:56:08

Hi Nick,
Do you ever regret telling GQ magazine how many woman (was it 30 or something?) you'd slept with in your youth?
(Spect it was a really pushy journo.)

onebatmother Tue 05-Jan-10 23:12:50

Blimmin eck re security briefing - you mean policywonk's escaped again?

LadyBlaBlah Tue 05-Jan-10 23:24:40

I think its the death threats against Garry Lace

onebatmother Tue 05-Jan-10 23:43:56

Thank goodness.

I'd like to know:

do you, fundamentally, believe in progressive taxation for working people (say £20K +)

Also - what do you think the nation gains from your 'no-deal' policy? Partic wrt pushing through electoral reform?

onebatmother Tue 05-Jan-10 23:45:21

Also, if snowed-in with all mod-cons, Dave or Gordon? <cheating>

coldtits Wed 06-Jan-10 00:39:40

What are the Liberal democrat policies on supporting lone parents, both in the home, and at work?

What are your policies on the current Tax Credit system?

What are your policies on the minimum wage?

abdnhikinginawinterwonderland Wed 06-Jan-10 08:37:35

Hello, what type of policies can you offer middle income families like mine to show that you respect us instead of despise us (like Labour). Particularly I'm talking about when a family has young children and defining middle income as around the tax credit limit. For example:

1) What would you do to make childcare affordable especially for those who don't qualify for tax credits but still have one income (at least) below the higher earnings limit. I used to work but my childcare was 95% of my wages with one set of childcare vouchers so now I'm a SAHM. Brown wanted to cut childcare vouchers - especially to families like mine.

2) What do you think about the Cameron's proposal to give tax breaks to married couples? Specifically the idea where a wife could transfer her allowance to her husband. Brown said this would primarily benefit "ladies of leisure" but with two kids under four I find that a bit offensive (leisure? what's that). I see Cameron's policy as an acknowledgement that while my husband is currently paying the same taxes as a single person, he is supporting three other people and we do all need to eat. What do you think of it?

NickClegg Wed 06-Jan-10 09:05:40

test (by MNHQ)

tatt Wed 06-Jan-10 10:29:49

Hi Nick, nice to see you here. A comment really, rather than a question - the choice at present seems to be between greed (tories) and gordon, who has less voter appeal than a dead parrot. But you don't seem like a potential leader, sorry. So I guess my question is - how do you convince me that you are?

At the moment I am tempted to write none of the above on the ballot paper.

GrendelsMum Wed 06-Jan-10 10:36:10

Dear Nick

You can famously speak foreign languages, which seems to make you almost unique in British politics. My husband's (small) business has customers across the world, and has difficulty employing British people with sufficient language skills to communicate with clients abroad. How important do you think foreign languages are to British businesses?

2ndly, and I know we aren't allowed to ask two questions, so this is just idle musing, not a question. <idle musing> I hear you are secretly a failed novelist, and just turned to politics as a back-up plan. I wonder what your novel was about? <idle musing ends>

Thanks!

GrendelsMum Wed 06-Jan-10 10:40:57

p.s. Do give David Howarth, LibDem MP for Cambridge, and sadly retiring at the next election, a big pat on the back for his honesty and probity, and his dedication to asking dull but useful questions in parliament. Find more people like him, please!

policywonk Wed 06-Jan-10 10:43:15

Hello Mr Clegg. In your June 2009 interview with Decca Aitkenhead, you said:

'You've got totally grotesque levels of inequality which haven't shifted at all under Labour. Not at all. I'm not saying it's for lack of intention; I actually believe in the good intentions of a lot of people in the Labour party when it comes to social mobility. But I completely question their ability to actually do it.'

Could you go into more detail about this? What do you think Labour has done wrong, and what would the LibDems do differently to improve social mobility?

policywonk Wed 06-Jan-10 10:44:44

(Oh, and if we're bigging up LibDem MPs, can I just say that I think Evan Harris is a huge asset, although he might be a thorn in your side grin)

GrendelsMum Wed 06-Jan-10 10:53:33

I'm not bigging up LibDem MPs per se: I just happen to think that one particular MP does a good job and it's a shame he's retiring. The others may all be awful wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now