WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus one follow-up once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't moan if your question doesn't get answered. 4. Do be civil/polite. See full guidelines here.

Webchat with Ed Miliband, Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change - this Thurs Dec 3rd, 1.15 - 2.15

(328 Posts)
JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 01-Dec-09 15:56:37

We're delighted to announce that Ed Miliband, Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change, is coming on for a webchat this Thursday, 3rd Dec at 1.15-2.15. Ed Miliband will be leading the UK government's negotiations at the Cophenhagan summit which commences on Dec 7th, is one of the chief architects of Labour's election manifesto and is viewed by many as a potential future leader of the party.

Ed represents Doncaster North, lives with partner Justine and six month old Daniel and has also had government jobs tackling social exclusion and supporting the voluntary sector.

Please post advance questions here if you can't make the chat. (And do please refer to our webchat rules summarised at the top of this thread, and try to stick to them or there'll be trouble!)

lindsaygii Sun 06-Dec-09 11:11:07

There is no such thing as QueenHera's brain.

Centuries of searching for it has convinced scientists that the theory that she has a brain must be discredited and that the science should move on.

You're an idiot, QH. Enjoy the future.

QueenHera Sun 06-Dec-09 09:51:35

There is NO evidence that carbon dioxide levels precede global warming. The Sun's activities increase or decrease Earth temperature.
Carbon dioxide levels increase as a result of global warming.
22 billion "food" animals are responsible for massive amounts of the most potent greenhouse gas, methane, water pollution and shortages, land pollution, destroyed rain forests and human food shortage.
There is no such thing as a non-vegan environmentalist.

lindsaygii Sat 05-Dec-09 19:48:42

'Things' do NOT move rapidly. The attention span of the press and the average parliamentary researcher may move rapidly. But things have barely moved in the last thirty years as far as the environment is concerned, and certainly hardly at all under Labour.

The arguments might change, but the reality of the world won't have. I'm an ex-journalist, and I can tell you that what goes wrong is the confusion between what is a 'story' and what is actually happens. And that starts with the MPs themselves.

Miliband isn't meant to be promoting himself, or the Labour party, or anything but the environment.

He is paid - by us - to manage the country. He has been given the job of managing the part that relates to climate change. All the rest is flim flam and nonsense.

mulberrybush Sat 05-Dec-09 17:53:35

Thanks for the feedback bluesky and Swedington. Always a bit scary coming onto a forum where you don't know people!

I am here because people are saying some pretty interesting things!

I think that PR seems to have been a big theme throughout this webchat. I am sure that you are all right in saying that much more does need to be done to get the basic arguements across to people. but it isn't easy to get this right.

This is something where I do have a bit of relevant experience. I manage my MPs website - on a purely voluntary basis, and I see all the press releases that go out, and then see what the press do with them. so it is certainly not as simple as saying "the government should say more".

The press have a great deal of power, and do not always use it responsibly.

I'd be interested to know - do you think the webchat with Ed Miliband actually gave people any new information? or changed perceptions in any way?

What is the information that you feel people really need to know? and do you have suggestions about how this could be done?

Things move rapidly - and I think we may be already moving on. By the end of the month it may be that the arguements have changed. It may move from is it necessary? and should we do it? - to where and when, how we are going to fund it and who should "own" the means of production of the new technologies and new energy.

justaboutisfatandtired Sat 05-Dec-09 08:05:31

Yes but the problem is that most of the climate change experts are academics, and most academics are lousy at PR

(generalisation alert)

whereas most of the disbelievers are politicians, and whilst they are useless at thinking they are good at PR

Swedington Fri 04-Dec-09 21:14:06

Yes terribly patronising. Biscuits, nappies and nappies again.

I am most worried about how they stop this "proving climate change is real debate" from gathering momentum. I've been trying to think of some sensible analogy. And I've come up with the MPC deciding what to do about interest rates, the decision isn't always unanimous. But we accept the interest rate decision nonetheless. Also, a jury might decide by a majority of 10 to 2 or 11 to 1 that someone is guilty, we don't focus on the two or one, who were unable to find the defendant guilty and demand to see the evidence again. We accept the process. I really think they need some sensible PR on this immediately.

bluesky Fri 04-Dec-09 20:48:12

agree with mulberrybush's post, was just coming on to write the same myself!

ditto green tint made it easier to follow, I liked that.

mollyroger Fri 04-Dec-09 18:40:14

and thanks MN, for the green tint - made me smile and did make it all easier to follow.

mulberrybush Fri 04-Dec-09 18:22:25

The press coverage was pretty patronising to women I think. The assumption was that nappies are the main interest.

I don't feel that the press made any attempt to reflect the fact that good questions were asked and good answers given.

The general feeling from the group - certinly as the webchat was taking place, is that this was a pretty good and genuine attempt at the difficult art of public engagement.

Maybe the reason why the print media weren't keen to reflect this in their coverage is that they feel pretty threatened by what social media can do!

StewieGriffinsMom Fri 04-Dec-09 17:22:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sarah293 Fri 04-Dec-09 17:17:14

Message withdrawn

gizmo Fri 04-Dec-09 17:16:50

Oh fabulous.

I spend my days trying to get the Guardian/Indie/BBC to cover the topic of smart meters and energy use in an engaging way.

And when I finally do get a quote (in work hours, I might add), it's on washable nappies.

Really don't know whether to laugh or cry hmm.

justaboutisfatandtired Fri 04-Dec-09 16:25:57

You know, actually, I realise that as I look at his photo on the website I blush fancy Ed.

Do you think there is any chance he might fall in love with me via my username?

justaboutisfatandtired Fri 04-Dec-09 15:31:11

Or with an alias like "Disgusted of Westminster" house-price-crash website making barbed remarks about Gordon's mishandling of everything.

(Are we past the bit of MN webchats where we're supposed to be polite and pleasant?)

AitchTwoToTangOh Fri 04-Dec-09 15:20:20

he did seem v fluent. prolly hangs out on the top gear forums slagging off hybrid cars.

justaboutisfatandtired Fri 04-Dec-09 15:14:59

"gives good chat"

Ha ha ha

There is something very slightly seedy about that phrase

As if you're insinuating he moonlights on those chatlines...

neenz Fri 04-Dec-09 13:54:29

Ooh, I was named in the Independent article - how exciting! grin

theyoungvisiter Fri 04-Dec-09 13:37:03

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8394736.stm

assume everyone's seen this?

They went the harpy route - no mention (probably fortunately) of all the blushing and simpering grin

AitchTwoToTangOh Fri 04-Dec-09 13:29:12

and what is the betting he's already used the expression 'pascal's wager' fifteen times since he left mnhq?

theyoungvisiter Fri 04-Dec-09 13:26:31

wow great chat. And I like the highlighting too.

Shall we start an MN poll on reusable nappies? I must admit, I thought the 2005 report was laughable - does ANYONE, EVER iron nappies? You can't even iron prefolds anyway, I don't think that some of the people who wrote the report had seen a reusable nappy since they were themselves in terries.

AitchTwoToTangOh Fri 04-Dec-09 13:01:10

wow, ed gives good chat doesn't he?

StewieGriffinsMom Fri 04-Dec-09 12:42:36

mollythetortoise Fri 04-Dec-09 12:25:09

stewiegriffinsmom - you get a name check on the BBC website though so do not depair grin

ScreaminEagle Fri 04-Dec-09 11:11:32

Can i throw a spanner in the works by saying that a jaffa cake is NOT a biscuit! lol.

StewieGriffinsMom Fri 04-Dec-09 10:25:57

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now