MN WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus a follow-up question if appropriate, ie once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't be disappointed if your specific question doesn't get answered and do try not to keep posting "What about me?". 4. Do be civil/polite. See guidelines in full here.

Webchat with Ed Miliband, Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change - this Thurs Dec 3rd, 1.15 - 2.15

(328 Posts)
JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 01-Dec-09 15:56:37

We're delighted to announce that Ed Miliband, Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change, is coming on for a webchat this Thursday, 3rd Dec at 1.15-2.15. Ed Miliband will be leading the UK government's negotiations at the Cophenhagan summit which commences on Dec 7th, is one of the chief architects of Labour's election manifesto and is viewed by many as a potential future leader of the party.

Ed represents Doncaster North, lives with partner Justine and six month old Daniel and has also had government jobs tackling social exclusion and supporting the voluntary sector.

Please post advance questions here if you can't make the chat. (And do please refer to our webchat rules summarised at the top of this thread, and try to stick to them or there'll be trouble!)

WilfSell Tue 01-Dec-09 16:00:59

I'd like to be the first to go 'woo hoo' before I think of a sensible question not involving his dishier older brother grin

But could we pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeese get that lovely Ian Hislop on too? Gwan. You know I'll be lovely to him wink

StewieGriffinsMom Tue 01-Dec-09 16:03:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

<<swoon>>

I saw him speak at the Environment Agency conference last year and he was FAB.

<<goes to think of good question and tidy hair>>

Giggi Tue 01-Dec-09 16:24:25

Hi there

Serious question, though it may sound flippant. Does or did anyone ever suggest that folks hold these climate change conferences/summits remotely? In an age of skype etc would it not make more sense to save all those plane/car journeys, all that hotel food etc and do a video conference where everyone can contribute to the conference without contributing to global warming at the same time?

As I said I know this sounds flippant, but it really is a genuine question that occurs to me every time I see a country hosting any international political conference as well as every time my husband (and colleagues) jet off to yet another meeting on the other side of the world, that could clearly have been conducted using technology.

Thanks for coming on and good luck in Copenhagen (am guessing it's too late to cancel the flights now....)

Oooh.

<brain is enveloped in a fuzz of stupidity>

Will try and think of something intelligent.

AliGrylls Tue 01-Dec-09 16:37:48

I don't like anyone that is in a job to do with climate change.

I would like to ask if anyone saw the article in the Sunday Times which basically said that any evidence / science which has backed the contrary argument that climate change is not man made / does not exist has not been published - even though there are some scientists that do make this proposal.

Surely, in a liberal society and given that climate change is supposed to be a foregone conclusion what is wrong with allowing those scientists with opposing views to get their work published?

There is something really fishy about the whole thing.

WouldYouCouldYouWithAGoat Tue 01-Dec-09 18:13:34

as part of the government that is attempting to make us consume our way out of a recession, promoted car scrappage schemes, has done nothing but preserve the status quo re. renewables, etc etc, does mr milliband feel like a token minister without any real influence?

also does he wish hilary fancied him too?

frankie3 Tue 01-Dec-09 18:41:47

How is there ever going to be a solution to climate change when:

1 Companies such as Tesco win awards for "best green company" while building large car dependant retail sheds with huge car parks, undercutting local retailers;

2 Heathrow Airport is still being discussed;

3 There has been no real investment in public transport - a real alternative to car travel is needed, and a huge investement in quality public transport is the only solution;

4 The ecomony is still based on comsuming and retail, rather that green energy and manufacturing. We are still being encouraged to spend our way out of the recession rather that having money put into proper new green initiatives.

MaHumbug Tue 01-Dec-09 18:51:58

Hi Ed

Do you think that my insurance company is forcibly trying to reduce my carbon footprint by not coming to fix my boiler?

It's f-f-f-frigging freezing here.

Bigbadmummy Tue 01-Dec-09 19:01:17

Has to be a biscuit question, doesn't it?

1) Which one?

And as my possibly permitted follow up

2) to dunk or not to dunk?

NickNemo Tue 01-Dec-09 19:05:21

Dear Ed,

Why aren't gas guzzling monster cars banned yet? Is the government ever going to ban them? Or at least tax them so heavily it hurts?

It makes me want to scream when I make so much effort to live an environmentally sound life, yet have to watch people using these monsters all around me.

Thank you!

santaschristmascakeywakey Tue 01-Dec-09 19:29:52

Hello Mr Milliband,

I live in a district where our council has dealt with a number of wind farm applications, all of which have been turned down amid much NIMBYISM from local people. I know that they must also have not met local planning guidelines, but I'd much rather have a wind farm near me that a nuclear power station. What does the government propose to do to encourage more renewables in suitable areas?

BTW, I'm not so sure that schemes should be allowed outside of the planning system as is being proposed. Could go too far the other way instead. how do you strike a balance?

Maiakins Tue 01-Dec-09 19:31:20

Hi Ed,

Thanks for coming on. My question is: What are you doing to make sure that energy/climate change debates are pro-poor?

I worry that ‘saving the environment’ is sometimes seen as an elitist issue, both within Europe and North America, but also at a global level.

How do you resolve the tension between international development and climate change measures and who are we to put a brake on other countries’ development? What policies do you suggest to ensure that poor people don’t suffer in developing countries? And who is going to finance this? Is the UK going to give extra money to help smaller developing countries who can least afford to invest in renewable energy and new technologies? And if so, is this money ringfenced?

P.S. You’re definitely dishier than your brother – does he feel embarrassed about the banana incident last year? Did you have a chuckle about it?

mumbot Tue 01-Dec-09 20:03:18

Hi Ed,

If you were to suggest one thing that busy mums on a normal income could do to make a positive impact on the environment, what would that be?

Thanks

mumbot

Fibonacci Tue 01-Dec-09 20:15:12

Ed,

The current proposals on Feed-in Tariffs are over-complicated and don't offer a high enough return - to be really effective they should offer home electricity generators at least 10%, as they do in Germany, do you agree?

mumtoone Tue 01-Dec-09 21:04:56

Ed, what do you believe are the UK's key strengths and weaknesses with respect to our plans to tackle climate change?

policywonk Tue 01-Dec-09 21:17:25

Hello Ed, thanks for coming on to talk to the Biscuitariat.

I'm going to be cheeky and ask two questions <tries to avoid Justine's eye>:

1) Did you hear the recent World Service investigation into the funds for developing countries that were supposed to be provided under the Bonn Declaration? Given that mistrust among developing countries seems to be one of the big potential stumbling blocks to a comprehensive deal at Copenhagen, are you confident that the financing deal announced by Gordon Brown at the Commonwealth Heads of Government meeting will be more transparent and accountable than the Bonn process?

2) In your recent lecture at the LSE you namechecked the marvellous Michael Sandel. Who else has informed your political thinking? Would you say that redistribution was one of your watchwords when you worked at the Treasury?

FluffyForLifeNotJustForXmas Tue 01-Dec-09 21:30:03

Hello Ed.

Why is there so much media attention/nagging on householders to reduce their carbon emissions/waste/recycling/use less energy when in fact businesses produce far, far more then the average fluffysForLifeNotJustForXmas? Surly you need to be addressing the amount of C02 production, waste, recycling and energy usage by businesses rather then spending vast amounts of money encouraging the average person to do this instead? What are your plans to tackle this?

I can spare some time if you are willing to employ me as a consultant grin

What's your favourite biscuit?? wink

lindsaygii Tue 01-Dec-09 21:38:52

aligrylls there is nothing stopping climate deniers getting their work published. If they submit it to a journal, and it passes peer review, then it will be published.

You clearly know bugger all about how science operates and would be best keeping to the kitchen in future, frankly.

Milliband New Labour have done nothing for the environment and show no interest in it.

The car scrappage scheme was a completely non-green attempt to boost the motor trade which you insulted our intelligence with by dressing it up as green.

The parlous state of public transport may have started under the Tories, but it's got worse, not better, under you (everywhere except London).

Your cowardly failure to engage the public properly over possible energy provision which the technology suggests would be strong answers, but the press would find easy to criticise (nuclear, incinerators) is weak beyond belief. Instead you have gone down the easy-to-sell but massively polluting-in-production wind farm route.

Books written fifteen years ago about the environment are still relevant today because the UK has done nothing in the meantime.

If we don't get to grips with this problem soon, and stop kidding ourselves that reusing the odd plastic bag is making a difference we're in a mess.

Name one policy, spell it out, that New Labour has put in place - and tell us three more that you will bring in within your first year back in government, please. No weasel words, no 'we'll work hard to...', describe that actual actions you will take and the dates by which you'll do them.

onebatmother Tue 01-Dec-09 21:43:25

Hi Ed

Govts generally (and Science generally) has failed sufficiently to engage with climate-change sceptics. CCS's then claim that they're being denied a platform, which in turn lends a spurious weight to their scientific arguments. When is DECC going to REALLY take them on - mano a mano if need be?wink

Also <puts on big shire-horse eye-patches to avoid Justine's eye>

There's a guy called Sulloway who posited that an individual's politics is affected by birth order, with first-borns becoming loyal conformists - essentially conservative - and later-borns more likely to be unorthodox, receptive to innovation - essentially radical. It's a cute though ultimately messy theory - but does it ring any bells with you?

Swedington Tue 01-Dec-09 22:18:14

Mr Miliaband. Welcome to Mumsnet. Is it true you are shaping up for an imminent leadership contest with Gordon Brown?

BexJ78 Tue 01-Dec-09 22:18:29

Hi, I would like to ask;
As transport is such a major part of the carbon agenda, can you please advise on how the government can reconcile the centralisation of services/choice agenda (access to schools, hospitals, services in general) with trying to encourage people to travel less or use more sustainable modes of travel?

And, do you prefer jaffa cakes, or bourbon creams?!

Swedington Tue 01-Dec-09 22:18:49

Sorry for spelling. Mr Miliband.

splodge2001 Tue 01-Dec-09 22:23:07

Dear Ed,

You went to a North London Comprehensive, one that is now performing poorly. Can you comment on what can be done by any government to improve state schools offer in London. It is so sad that this great city has become a place of such polarised wealth partly because it has been the natural inclination of the middle classes to move out to find better schools elsewhere. Wouldn't it be better for the London community if we could provide the kind of schools that people don't want to flee from?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now