MN WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus a follow-up question if appropriate, ie once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't be disappointed if your specific question doesn't get answered and do try not to keep posting "What about me?". 4. Do be civil/polite. See guidelines in full here.

Live webchat with David Cameron - this Thursday 19th, 1.45 pm

(1230 Posts)
JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 17-Nov-09 09:28:05

Hello all - David Cameron is coming on to Mumsnet to answer your questions this Thursday at 1.45-2.45. Please post advance questions here if you can't make it on Thursday. (And please read our Webchat guidelines above before posting ie only one question each). Many thanks.

AtheneNoctua Tue 17-Nov-09 12:05:22

Why do I have to pay so much bloody tax just to hire childcare, which is in fact hired for the sole purpose of me (and my husband) going to work? Surely this is an expense which should be removed from my income before my tax is calculated. If I was a business you would subtract my costs before you calculated my worth.

Working parents are treated like big profitable busnesses under this administration, and I just can't understand why Gordon thinks I'm rich when I spend almost all of my money on children and food every month.

What will the Conservative government do to help parents go to work?

LilyBolero Tue 17-Nov-09 12:11:39

Will a Conservative Government bring back fox hunting?

KeithTalent Tue 17-Nov-09 12:29:57

Can we have Phillip Blond on for a webchat as well please?

mackerel Tue 17-Nov-09 12:30:15

Mr Cameron. The Conservative party's alliance with the ECR (European Conservatives and Reformist Group) and its more controversial members concerns me greatly. How can you on one hand (rightly) criticise Nick Griffin and the BNP whilst, on the other, be prepared to share a platform with the ECR? Do the ends justify the means?

AbricotsSecs Tue 17-Nov-09 12:31:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AtheneNoctua Tue 17-Nov-09 12:35:27

What do you think of men having the same paternity leave and pay as women get in maternity leave and pay? I ask because I believe that the only way for the glass ceilings to be shattered is for men to get the same time off that women get. Otherwise, employers will always see the woman who has not yet had children as a liabiliuty and hire the man instead.

AtheneNoctua Tue 17-Nov-09 12:37:43

What will you do with the money you save when you scrap the ludicrous ID Card scheme scam?

AtheneNoctua Tue 17-Nov-09 12:40:24

Do you think we should continue to promote oil exploration in the North Sea? And, if not, what should be done to boost the Scottish economies who have come to depend on the oil revenues of the past?

mackerel Tue 17-Nov-09 12:42:05

Thankyou Hoochiemama. bet he doesn't answer it though. He's kept v. quiet about this.

hatwoman Tue 17-Nov-09 12:45:37

[small hijack to songofthepeachey - good HRA story - I've looked at lots of HRA cases and also know it has been used (succesfully) to challenge a council that said none of its careworkers could lift elderly/disabled people, ever; to challenge a council that had failed to provide housing assistance to a disabled woman who had to live (eat, sleep, go to the toilet) in her family sitting room for a year; and to challenge policy that said that if aslyum seekers didn;t make their claim with 48 hours of getting here they could be left with no support, at all - ie homeless and penniless. and all these cases were decided here in the UK - not in Strasbourg. I get so cross when people think it's nothing more than a terrorist charter...rant/hi-jack over!]

englishpatient Tue 17-Nov-09 12:50:55

Mr Cameron, I would like to know how you will change state schools to enable them to challenge their more able children appropriately.

dawntigga Tue 17-Nov-09 12:51:54

An addition to Fabs question is:

If you are fully commited to marriage does that extend to same sex marriage - not civil partnerships. If not, why can I enjoy more rights as a married woman than my gay friends can and how is that right?

hatwoman Tue 17-Nov-09 13:00:01

apart from taxation will you use any other policy areas to "encourage" marriage? I am concerned that it's not at all possible to draw the line between providing "incentives" to those who are married and penalising those who are not - the vast majority of whom are not feckless, irresponsible or in anyway less deserving.

mollythetortoise Tue 17-Nov-09 13:01:35

I am also disheartened by the proposed marriage tax break. Why should married people get tax breaks that unmarried but cohabiting couples don't?
I think tax breaks should be targeted at those with children rather than those without - because of the obvious costs involved in bringing children up.

Child tax credits does this (despite it other faults) as the rebate is targeted at families with children whether married or not.

A married person allowance would help married people with or without children and potentially, married men can leave their families and sahp's and still claim tax relief on their earnings until they get divorced.
How is that right or fair?

And please don't just tell me to get married!

UnquietDad Tue 17-Nov-09 13:03:44

David - you have quite rightly got annoyed with both Mr Blair and Mr Brown when they have tried to blame problems on the previous Conservative administration, even after ten years.

Can you give us an assurance that, if you become PM with an overall majority, you won't do the same (after a fair handover period, say a year)?...

mollythetortoise Tue 17-Nov-09 13:12:14

Apologies Mr Cameron, one more question if I may.

Do you now think that having The Sun's endorsement is a liability following their recent attack on GB that backfired so spectactually?

Do you think if would be in your partys interest to distance yourself from Murdoch et al.

Also, can you tell me your plans for the BBC and the licence fee?

thank you

manfrom Tue 17-Nov-09 13:12:39

Are you going to scrap Contactpoint and the vetting and barring authority? <hopes the answer is yes>

Mr Cameron. When If you get elected what are you going to do to cut down the amount of paper work, bureacacy in the NHS.

As a midwife I seem to spend most of my time completing paperwork, most of which is unnecessary audits. I'm sure that breastfeeding rates would improve if I had more time to help a woman b/f rather than having to fill out a 2 page audit for every woman on her breastfeeding intentions. Then there are the smoking audits.

We now have a pointless cannula insertion audit that has to be completed on the computer at work. Its not trackable as there is no reference to patient name or number, so not really sure what the point of it is. Full of inane questions such as "did you wash your hands before inserting the cannula". If someone didn't they're hardly going to tick the "yes" box.

And every bit of portable equipment or a trolley, drip stand, etc now as well as cleaning it we now have to fill out a green sticker and put it on the equipment. Sticker has to have the name of the cleaner on it, date, time cleaned and a box to tick to say "I am clean". So after a delivery there could be 15 things in the room that have to have a sticker put on. Does this actually make the equipment any cleaner. hmm How many hundreds of thousands of these stickers are filled out per day across the country and how many man hours does that equate to?

And of course it all means there are more and more office staff eating up the NHS budget by anylsing these audits and dreaming up more stupidity. And I have less and less time for actual client care.

snice Tue 17-Nov-09 13:23:10

Mr Cameron

I am currently training to be a teaching assistant -however my friend tells me there is no point as once the Tories win the next election you will make such massive cuts in public spending that the funding for TAs will be slashed.

Is she right? If not, where will you be making 'massive cuts'?

Thanks in advance.

scrappydappydoo Tue 17-Nov-09 13:27:03

I'll the ask the same question I asked Gordon Brown -
Why should I vote??? (please note question is not WHO should I vote for). I do vote but I do not feel that I make any difference. You will be pleased to learn that I live in an overwhelmingly conservative area so actually it doesn't matter who I vote for you lot will always win. I therefore do not feel I have made any 'choice' about anything.

Peachy Tue 17-Nov-09 13:28:41

An extra question sorry, it's under a different name so does that excuse it...

Carer's Allowance is all well and good, but why is it that when you try to retrain into a job that would be flexible and maybe even pay enough to cover your famillies more complex needs it stops? The caring doesn't, after all!. My last year of Uni involved 12 weeks actual attendance in the alst year and all the extra work was done at 3, 4 am when the boys slept. My caring commitments did not reduce an iota yet did prevent me getting top up work (and when you consider that DH's student colleagus get less in grant/ loan than the cost ogf the cheapest accomodation that's fairly significant, and with the jobs availability atm is causing severe hardship).

Surely enabling claimants to get work that pays enough for them to survive and contribute tax on top is worth far more in the long term than CA of £53.10 for 3 years? The obvious financial benefits of encouraging this retraining are still though being ignored in favour of cutting money for Carer students- and not allowing them to claim between the summer and autumn terms, when thier grants/ loans will not be payable either.

Food for thought (I hope).

Powdoc Tue 17-Nov-09 13:42:36

Mr Cameron,

What is your stance on the West Lothian question?

andagain Tue 17-Nov-09 14:26:42

Mr Cameron, I would be grateful for answers to the following questions:

1. Why is the Tory party so hellbent on dispensing with the Human Rights Act? With respect, please can you try and not use an example of escaped murdereres in Darbyshire a couple of years ago and whether their picture could be published or not, when replying to this as it is a bit of an insult to ponder to DMesque opinion when justifying getting rid of such a fundamental piece of legislation.

2. How can a self-proclaimed progressive 21st century party justify getting into alliance (for want of a better word) with deeply homophobic and pro-nazi parties (from Poland and Latvia.

Many thanks

cornflakemum Tue 17-Nov-09 14:32:38

Mr Cameron
I believe in your speeches in the past you have referred to Britain's 'Broken Society' - and I happen to agree with you on this.

Can you tell us what the Tories plan to do encourage the rebuilding of communities, the strenghtening of families and improving personal responsibility for things like health?

AbricotsSecs Tue 17-Nov-09 14:39:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now