MN WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus a follow-up question if appropriate, ie once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't be disappointed if your specific question doesn't get answered and do try not to keep posting "What about me?". 4. Do be civil/polite. See guidelines in full here.

Gordon Brown on Mumsnet this Friday (16th October) lunchtime between 1-2 pm

(1058 Posts)
JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 15-Oct-09 13:21:13

We're delighted to announce that the Prime Minister, Gordon Brown, will be logging on to Mumsnet for a live webchat on Friday (tomorrow) lunchtime from 1 to 2. The PM is ready to answer Mumsnetters' questions on a wide-range of policy issues from the economy to education and from childcare to climate change.

As you know we're not great ones for rule books here at MNHQ, but we'd like this to be as useful and enlightening an event as it can be, for all involved. We aren't going to pre-moderate or pre-select questions - the format will be as per usual - but given the likely popularity of this webchat, the sheer number of you all and our past experience of trying to fit everything in, we've come up with a few ground rules which we'd be very grateful if you'd follow.

Guidelines for MN webchat with PM

1. To allow as many folks as possible to be involved, please restrict your questions to one per member plus a follow up question if appropriate, i.e. once you've had a response. (NB don't even think about name changing to ask another, we'll be watching!).

2. Please keep your question reasonably brief (we'll not doing a word count but it will increase your chance of getting an answer, we suspect, if you don't bang on for paragraphs)

3. It's highly unlikely he'll be able to answer everyone's question but we'll make every effort to bring common themes to his attention. Please don't be too disappointed if your specific question doesn't get answered and do try not to keep posting "What about me?". He can't answer them all and he is the PM after all - so has a quite few time constraints.

4. Obviously you're free to voice your opinion but do be civil/polite - the PM is our guest on Mumsnet so, whatever your politics, please afford him the same cordiality you would if he stopped by your own house.

Many thanks - feel free to put your question up in advance if you can't make the live chat on Friday lunchtime.

AitchTwoToTangOh Fri 16-Oct-09 12:51:37

don't be ill-mannered, guttersnipe. (or should i call you Dave?)

GordonBrown Fri 16-Oct-09 12:51:40

To bossy Kate and others,

I'm as angry about the banks as you are - we are determined that we receive more money back from the banks than we have had to invest in them, so the banks will be paying us the public money not the other way round. On bonuses and pay we are setting international rules so that you can't escape by moving your employment from one country to another; pay in future must be about long term success, not failure. You'll find me making further statements about this in the next few weeks.

whispywhisp Fri 16-Oct-09 12:51:48

Mr Brown...

Please can you convince me to vote Labour at the next General Election?

We are a struggling (financially) family of four - both my husband and I work and yet we are financially worse off than we were a couple of years ago.

We personally feel the Labour Party do not do enough to help/support those families who work - yet there are 1000s of people who are claiming state benefit who could work and choose not to because they can't afford to do so - good for them!!

If by voting Conservative at the next election means more people have to go out and work to earn their money then we will vote for them. The whole benefits systems is a complete mess and its people like us who fund it.

Charges are going up, our wages don't. That extra money has to come from somewhere and it normally means its my kids who go without to find that difference.

What are you going to do about it? Also why do the elderly receive help with their fuel bills at this time of year yet we don't? We all have to keep warm!!!

bitofadramaqueen Fri 16-Oct-09 12:52:48

Oh, I see GB has already spoke about childcare vouchers while I typed! I hope he reads my follow up points!

Hello Prime Minister!

hatwoman Fri 16-Oct-09 12:53:20

oh Mr Brown - not abolishing them but phasing out the tax relief?could you tell me pray how, then, a child care voucher will differ from, erm, cash?

GordonBrown Fri 16-Oct-09 12:54:18

To Ted and others who are asking about the environment - yes, we do need an agreement in Copenhagen - and I'm going to go there and am asking other leaders to do so. We are putting forward new proposals in the next few weeks. On air travel we have air passenger duty, but we know we need an international agreement on aviation and shipping. All of us can play our part in cutting these emissions - why not sign up to Ed's pledge at www.edspledge.com - and I'm really pleased mumsnet is backing 10;10

Guttersnipe Fri 16-Oct-09 12:54:45

Oh I am sure Mr Brown has received worse barracking than that Aitch.

Come on admit it, it doesn't sound in keeping with the man we know as PM, does it?

hatwoman Fri 16-Oct-09 12:55:08

on the banks - how do you propose to balance the need to get value for money on our shares with the need to build their value in the long term - and not encouarge short-term rallies? when will the govt disinvest?

GypsyMoth Fri 16-Oct-09 12:55:11

Hello Mr Brown.....what about school holidays? will there be extra help for the long holidays?

the 6 week summer break is the one obstacle i cannot overcome on my quest to return to work. there is nothing out there apart from expensive,oversubscribed holiday clubs.

will the summer hols always be this long? any chance of reducing them slightly to assist working parents?

AitchTwoToTangOh Fri 16-Oct-09 12:55:25

god, all you corporate and cooncil types whinging about your childcare vouchers... spare a thought for those of us who are self-employed and get keech all. (i will leave gordon to translate the jocko element of that post. wink)

Guttersnipe don't ruin it for the rest of us please.

GordonBrown Fri 16-Oct-09 12:56:08

Sarah and I are doing all we can at home - including solar panels on our house in Scotland. Believe it or not, we are advised that even though we are at the top of a hill, solar panels create more energy than a wind turbine. You might be surprised there's sun even in Fife!

JodieO Fri 16-Oct-09 12:56:37

"But more importantly, we want to use the money to extend free nursery places to many thousands more 2 year olds. These nursery places are really popular with parents and they give children the very best start in life - helping to achieve a fairer society in which everyone can thrive."

What about the parents that believe it's better for a child to actually be brought up all day by a parent and not looked after by other people? Is that not just a roundabout way of trying to force more women back into work before they want to? Lots of studies show the importance of a parent staying home to look after a child/ren and others also show that nurseries have a bad effect on young children. This seems quite discriminatory towards stay at home parents and their ethos to me.

corblimeymadam Fri 16-Oct-09 12:56:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

VulpusinaWilfsuit Fri 16-Oct-09 12:56:47

Arf at sun in Fife.

AitchTwoToTangOh Fri 16-Oct-09 12:57:17

well the one time i met him he was deeply dishy and suave, in a scottish sort of a way, so Hi All sounds fine to me. aaaah, the old days... <waves with happy memories of GUU debates>

GordonBrown Fri 16-Oct-09 12:57:33

Oblong - on MPs' expenses we've got to get rid of the old discredited system as soon as possibe. Once Sir Thomas Legg has discussed it with MPs we've got to settle it for good. And that means MPs will have to pay up.

Guttersnipe Fri 16-Oct-09 12:57:55

Ah but you would say that, wouldn't you?

JimmyMcNulty Fri 16-Oct-09 12:58:00

Dear Gordon,

Why is the government so keen to protect irresponsible people who took out mortgages at 6x income which perpetuated a housing bubble that has priced out a generation? Do you really think sky-high house prices are good for the economy? Why were you so keen to boast about the house price boom?

carriedababi Fri 16-Oct-09 12:58:11

<settles down for lunch with the PM>

Guttersnipe Fri 16-Oct-09 12:58:24

Sorry, that was to Aitch, not the PM.

ErikaMaye Fri 16-Oct-09 12:58:27

Vaugely entertained by the fact there is sun in Fife... I must have missed it grin

anastaisia Fri 16-Oct-09 12:58:29

(Not suprisingly grin ) I'd like to ask about the Badman Home education review. Specifically, can the government offer any real assurances that they are listening to the concerns of home educating parents about the recommendations of the report and that the Select Committee is not just a rubber stamping exercise for legislation which the government has already decided is going through?

AitchTwoToTangOh Fri 16-Oct-09 12:58:56

oh yes, dh is a east-coaster. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now