WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus one follow-up once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't moan if your question doesn't get answered. 4. Do be civil/polite. See full guidelines here.

Kim Woodburn, of Kim and Aggie fame joining us for lunchtime webchat between 12 and 1pm on Tuesday 22nd September.

(280 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 17-Sep-09 10:03:40

Kim, presenter of 'How Clean is Your house' will be joining us to answer your questions on cleaning and tidying and generally turning your house from pigsty to palace on Tuesday (22nd) lunchtime between 12 and 1pm. If you're unable to join us, then send your questions in to this thread.

BethNoire Thu 17-Sep-09 10:21:21

Desperately need ideas for organisation please!. We're a busy family, both studying as well as a job, and have 4 small boys. Two have autism and no organisational skills whatsoever so just abandon things as they fall, or tip food off their plates. I can keep the place functionally hygienic but the washing is never entirely put away, or the toys so it often looks bad.

Simple dieas to organise things so that they are easier would be so appreciated thank you.

KerryMumbles Thu 17-Sep-09 10:22:11

oh this will be good!

Is she the one with the bun?

GypsyMoth Thu 17-Sep-09 10:24:05

think so kerry!

GypsyMoth Thu 17-Sep-09 10:25:02

need tips for cleaning windows....my glass is always streaky,and for cleaning silver jewellery effectively!!

LuluMaman Thu 17-Sep-09 10:26:27

I adore Kim !!

2 questions:

do you do your hair like that every day, or do you ever wear it all long and swishy? <<shallow>>

best tips for encouraging children aged 10 & 4 to tidy their rooms ! i am slowly losing the will to live doing it all, whilst they protest they did not make the mess and sit watching me grrrrrr.. although DS will hoover up for money !!

thank you xx

KerryMumbles Thu 17-Sep-09 10:28:10

Lego. wtf do i do with lego?

How do I keep lego buildings, and small toys dust free.

Have kids with asthma. Tips on how to keep the dust down as much and as easily as possible. I can't spend 10 hours a week dusting.

Crumblemum Thu 17-Sep-09 14:16:47

My washing machine smells. Have potty training boy and weaning baby so the washing I put in is not lovely and spotless as it once was (oh when it was only the light grime of office wear)! It now has a mildewy smell. Have given a thorough clean and rinsed with bleach, but smell still remains. Help please

Dumbledoresgirl Thu 17-Sep-09 14:29:32

Kim, I would like the definitive, guaranteed to work every time method for removing brown stains from below the waterline in a toilet bowl. Bleach or toilet cleaner combined with a good scrub sometimes lessens it a bit but then it builds up again. I want a sparkling look to my loo bowl!

Also, under the rim, what is the best way to get rid of that yellow crust other than using a toothbrush and removing a tiny bit each time?

Plus, while we are on the subject of loos, I have just had a brand new one fitted. What should be my routine for keeping it looking as clean and stainfree as it does now?

Thanks so much!

NoahDear Thu 17-Sep-09 14:30:11

KIm
do you haev a hair piece or is it all your own

NoahDear Thu 17-Sep-09 14:32:33

also why do oyu do all that " clean your skirting wiht an old tub of vasleine" stuff then you see you both getting out a carry thing full of cilit bang

rubyslippers Thu 17-Sep-09 14:33:28

Kim - i heart you and your fluffy, diamante rubber gloves ...

Firstly, i live in a hard water area and everything is limescaly and streaky - taps, shower cubicles etc

i clean a lot but it still builds up. the shower screen has been cleaned today and it is still streaky

anything i can to prevent the build up?

also, why do my towels go grey? I wash at 60 degrees

TIA!

kkleinman Thu 17-Sep-09 14:34:21

how do you remove cooking oil stains from clothing? i'm always getting splashed and ruined so many clothes. once heard something about talcum powder but i tried and it didn't do anything. also cooked tomato stains just won't go without bleach which only works on white clothes

thanks
kate and the kids

LackaDAISYcal Thu 17-Sep-09 14:37:57

How do I get old uPVC window frames clean and fresh looking, short of replacing them with new?

I've tried various products advertised to make them "like new" again, but either they lie or else I'm not putting in enough elbow grease as they are still grey and streaky......my newly decorated rooms are being let down by the insides of the window frames.

Oh I LOVE Kim! grin

Just wanted to say... fantastic book - and loved your appearance on Shooting Stars last night grin

futurity Thu 17-Sep-09 14:44:27

How on earth do I get Blu Tak off an interior brick wall? (I mistakingly put posters up in the conservatory a few years ago for my son and didn't use my brain not thinking that Blu Tak and brick walls don't mix!). I've tried EVERYTHING and am now down to picking it off with a pin. Blu Tak website was no good..just said "we don't recommend using Blu Tak on a brick wall!"

weebleswobble Thu 17-Sep-09 14:45:35

Have you ever been sick from the smell in the houses you go into on your programme? Now, I like a clean home, but not too neurotic about it, however, I'd take a match to some of the places you go into. I don't know how you stick your fingernails into loo goo....I suppose that's dedication to the job!!

BornToFolk Thu 17-Sep-09 14:59:46

I love Kim!

Can she please tell me the best way of cleaning bare floorboards? Especially ones that have been very badly done and have gaps in between? I don't want to mop as the water would get down the gaps. Is sweeping/hoovering sufficient?

MamaG Thu 17-Sep-09 15:20:03

1. I have a blue streak on my bath where a tap was left dripping for 2 1/2 weeks (hmm at DH). How can I get rid of it?

2. Also, whats the best way to clean a yukky oven (not stainless steel, that black stuff on a Stoves oven)?

3. Where do you get your fancy rubber gloves from?

Thank you!

Cathcarter Thu 17-Sep-09 15:47:10

Please could I echo Dumbledoresgirl's question about brown marks below the waterline of a loo. I've tried denture tablets, loo cleaner and nothing seems to work. Same with under the rim of the loo to remove brown marks. I have a toddler and can't get the yukky marks off.

Secondly, I live in a hard water area and the shower screen has deeply ingrained water marks. I have tried vinegara and lots of products and it looks as though they've come out when wet but when it dries they reapper. Please help!

Also, I'm a cleaner and my hand get really, really dry. What hand cream/treatmens does she use to keep her hands tip top, please!

Ooh Kim, how would you like to settle a long-running Domestic? It concerns - predictably - the up/down loo seat, but from a hygiene point of view:

My dear husband leaves the lid up when he flushes. I reckon that this ejects millions of urine-laden (and worse!) droplets all over the bathroom, including onto the toothbrushes, which are quite close.

DH says this is rubbish, and lid-up or lid- down makes no difference.

So who is right, please?

Housemum Thu 17-Sep-09 16:14:15

Another vote for:

loo cleaning, the ring around the water line

watermarks on glass, and build up on tiles (we have a water softener but still the tiles feel "coated"

cathcarter - have you tried Dermaguard? I bought it online, saw an ad in a knitting mag as my hands were so dry they kept catching the wool.

Ovens - tips for the glass door. Our oven burns off the inside dirt (pyrolitic lining), I soak the racks in biological powder then scrub them with Brillo, but what's best for the inside glass door?

Will anything ever get the greyness off the edges of a cream carpet? I vacuum with the nozzle, but there is a persistent grey edge to the room. The guy who did the wooden floors said that it was where draughts blew dust up through the floorboards so would always be there?

Wooden floors (engineered wood not laminate or "real" wood) - tips for cleaning, and best sort of vacuum to use? Since having these I've realised just how much dust a family of five creates - presumably it just hid in the carpet before but we have dust bunnies everywhere if I turn my back!

Embarassed-to-admit-I-don't-know, but how do you clean a kitchen floor and what's best sort of mop? I use flash and a super-mop, but feel that after a couple of swipes, surely I must just be moving dirty water around. Am I supposed to do it again after with clean water? Or empty the bucket 2 or 3 times?

Loved the "cleaning bible" book by the way, particularly the stories interspersed with the chapters. You've certainly lived in some interesting homes.

Ladyrattles Thu 17-Sep-09 16:14:18

How do you clean a sticker off a window?

I've tried washing up liquid, terps, vinegar, and scratching it with a coin, but I seem to have made it look much worse. It was an old support the lifeboat one that was on when I moved in.

Thanks
Carnie Pollock
Mum of 3, York UK

Indith Thu 17-Sep-09 16:15:00

Dumbledore and Cath I use mild (is that the word?) sandpaper for build up in the loo. Twas a Kim and Aggie tip grin My loo is so shiny and you should have seen it a few weeks ago when we bought this house <boak>

I would like to know how to get rid of the smell from carpet if bicarb and 2 good cleans with a Vax have failed as along with the house we seem to have purchased an odd poo like smell on a small patch of living room carpet!

Also, I use bicarb as an abraisive to clean limescale etc off the bath, tiles and shower screen. It works very well (screen was opaque when we got here) but I do find that even with a rub down every day streaks of limescale start to build up again within a few days, is there an easier way than having to get the bicarbv out again? Vinegar just doesn't seem to cut through it.

badbadbadCappy Thu 17-Sep-09 16:21:51

oooh I love a good cleaning thread

I shall be here I hope, bunking off work

How do you clean grout off tiles that has been there for ages because your mother-in-law came round and did it for you because she felt you couldn't possibly do it right yourself and then left a load of grout still on in a far corner that she couldn't reach and she didn't tell you and which then got dirtier and dirtier and you didn't notice it was there because the grout and the tiles were both white?

This is just a theoretical situation of course

also builder's cementy-like stuff that fell into the loo and stuck to the bottom

badbadbadCappy Thu 17-Sep-09 16:23:06

oh and any clever ways of cleaning the outside of windows that are too far up for a window cleaner to go?

badbadbadCappy Thu 17-Sep-09 16:24:23

also I want to know if she emails Flylady regularly for a good chat or if they are sworn enemies and rivals who must never be in the same room

CMOTdibbler Thu 17-Sep-09 16:29:05

Whats your biggest cleaning challenge ? Anything that evades you still ?

Indith Thu 17-Sep-09 16:33:02

Oooh I just clocked the date. It will be my birthday! Do you think I can give the dcs and early lunch and pack them off for their naps so I can be here?

How do you get rid of ancient bits of brown parcel tape stuck to the door frames?

Oh and what about what looks like clay dried to painted wooden doors?

Indith Thu 17-Sep-09 16:34:35

Was that woman with all the birds who then let them back into the house so it was all covered in poo again for the revisit a complete and utter loon and did she make you want to go outside and scream and shout and cry and stamp your foot afterwards?

LoveBeingAMummy Thu 17-Sep-09 16:42:15

What are your three top must have cleaning products?

You are fab and I'm always amazed at how you are keen to get your nose right in there to smell how bad it really is smile

cocolepew Thu 17-Sep-09 16:44:33

How do you get rid of mould forever? It keeps coming back in my shower, I've used the sprays and have painted the tiles with a damp proof paint and it still comes creeping through <blergh>

Thank you smile

Jumente Thu 17-Sep-09 16:47:49

Another massive fan here smile

Obviously I haven't watched enough due to my horrible children putting Disney on loop, and have FAILED to learn the best way regularly to clean the toilet. I can't have a toilet brush in the house, I just can't.

But ds in particular seems never to leave the loo quite as attractive as he found it [genteel]

Please help. I am quite desperate and standing looking at it doesn't seem to do anything.

Both kids have allergies (although not to dogs!) and would like to be able to clean using only eco friendly cleaning stuff such as borax, bicarb, vinegar, lemon etc.

Where do you get the supplies as none of my local supermarkets supply natural cleaning stuff.

BertieBotts Thu 17-Sep-09 18:02:08

I haven't got a question about cleaning skills so much, but I want to know, if you are a complete slattern not in the habit of cleaning automatically, how do you get into good habits? My house generally looks very "lived in", not as bad as the houses on your programme but full of clutter and piles of washing up & laundry of varying sizes and rooms that seem to constantly need hoovering. Sometimes we go mad and clean the entire house but it is always back to normal again within about 2 days. I am sure this must happen to some of the people you visit on the show, so I am surprised it is not covered. People always say "Just clean as you go" but it is so unnatural to me that I never remember to.

Please help!

bibbitybobbityhat Thu 17-Sep-09 18:05:34

Hi Kim - please tell my esteemed colleagues in hardwater areas that the only way to deal with limescale splashes on a shower screen is to clean the b*er every day, or have a lovely washable shower curtain, like me smile.

Redtedart Thu 17-Sep-09 18:30:54

Any tips of how to get tea stains out of a white pair of trousers? I spilt the tea, washed it that day and there is still a faint stain... :-(

Jean81 Thu 17-Sep-09 18:56:50

hello

could you tell me how to get rid of mould off painted walls?

thanks

Saltire Thu 17-Sep-09 19:21:52

OH I love Kima nd Aggie.

Kim, my mother in law boughtme your book "how clean is your house " 2 years ago and reduced me to tears when she said I needed to go on your programme.

Anyway my question is (because I will be at work) our carpets are very cheap rubbish one - we live in a military married quarter. There are some really deep stains that I can't ge tout using 1001 spray, I don't really want to ahve to do teh whole carpet if I can help it (they have been known to shrink when wet!)what would be a good cleaner to use on it?

Also how can I prevent limescale building up in shower taps etc?

corblimeymadam Thu 17-Sep-09 19:32:30

Marvellous!! Now, how do I get toothpaste out of clothing when I dribble it down the front of my top in a frantic toothbrushing session before running out the door?

IME only a good wash in the washing machine works which is a pain as it means a whole outfit change/ rushed rummaging through the laundry for something clean that goes with the bottoms...Not even wet wipes get it out...

Now I realise that this is not about cleaning my house but it would really add to my sanity! smile

Many thanks

ally160 Thu 17-Sep-09 19:40:58

Ask Kim what is the best way to scrub a carpet that a child has been sick on. The smell seems to hang around for weeks...blush

scrappydappydoo Thu 17-Sep-09 20:02:50

I lurve your programme makes me feel so much better that my pig sty isn't that bad...

Anyway would also like tips on decluttering and organising.

Plus I have a yucky black mould type thing on the grey rubber ring thing in my washing machine it doesn't smell but i would like to get rid any suggestions??

wuglet Thu 17-Sep-09 20:48:09

And how to get mould off car seat straps blush

Whoever asked about getting sticky stuff off windows - eucalyptus oil!

FabBakerGirlIsBack Thu 17-Sep-09 20:55:13

kkleinman- wear an apron.

PussinJimmyChoos Thu 17-Sep-09 21:17:41

Another fan here - love your matter of fact attitude and the 'filthy beggars' remarks smile

GentleOtter Thu 17-Sep-09 21:20:59

Kim - I love you.
Please move in to our spare room and help me become organised. We will look after you well.

Failing that offer, how can I get an old stone flag floor to look amazing and shiney?

GentleOtter Thu 17-Sep-09 21:22:57

note - it has been down since 1860 and has done well.

Dumbledoresgirl Thu 17-Sep-09 21:53:15

Another burning question from me:

How do you get ring marks from a highly polished wooden surface? I finally persuaded my parents to let me have the family piano which is approximately Edwardian in age and my wretched brother put a glass of water on the lid over the keyboard and marked it badly. I have read there is a trick involving a hot iron that gets rid of water marks but I can't bring myself to put a hot iron anywhere near my once lovely, now horribly stained, piano.

Please help!

gigglewitch Thu 17-Sep-09 22:18:38

<mnhq, I do hope you've tidied up all the threads>
wink

MrsMerryHenry Thu 17-Sep-09 22:21:31

I LOVE Kim!

Here's my question:

Kim, I think you have great charisma on TV and are naturally funny. I used to work in TV (when I had a career...) and once came up with an idea for a chat show with you as the host.I think you'd be fab. Could you see yourself doing a tongue-in-cheek chat show?

(by the way, this is not a job offer, just an idle question...!)

Actually, having said that, maybe you could do a radio problem phone in? Oh, you'd be brill!

GetOrfMoiLand Thu 17-Sep-09 22:49:25

I really like Kim. She is like an adored aunty.

I would like some fail safe limescale removal and avoidance tips. Spent most of my life in a soft water area, moved to Gloucestershire and my taps are vile and kettle is filled with scum. It's horrible.

Also keeping loos ultra clean. Sandpaper! Is that true?

GetOrfMoiLand Thu 17-Sep-09 22:50:58

MerryHenry - she would be great in a Paul O'Grady style show. She has such a funny turn of phrase.

IIRC she had a rough old upbringing as well, so bloody good on her for turning everything around and making a success of herself. She's great.

GentleOtter Thu 17-Sep-09 23:18:49

I tried Kim's sandpaper thing and it works well. We are in a peat water area and the loos are always horrible looking.

scrappydappydoo Fri 18-Sep-09 08:45:48

Kim - I just saw the trailer for next week - are you really 67????? If you are - enough with the cleaning tips what are tips for looking good?? grin

TokenFemale Fri 18-Sep-09 09:14:19

Kim, can you please settle an ongoing MN debate - toilet brush or no toilet brush in a loo?

harrisonnnn Fri 18-Sep-09 09:53:23

yes Kim please settle the debate. Toilet brush or no toilet brush?

I have a lovely clean house, but today there was the most god-awful fishy smell in the bathroom. DS went round sniffing everything and we found the culprit, not the loo or blug holes or anything, but the bucket of bath toys shock

I tipped the contents into the bath and it was disgusting, all brown and slimy water in the bottom <<puke>>

So all the atuff is still in the bath soaking in bleach and I am putting off getting my rubber gloves on and scrubbing everything and wasting time on MN instead.

How do I stop this happening again? (What I really want to do is throw away the whole lot and have no bath toys at all, but I think DS would be less than pleased)

<sigh>

harrisonnnn Fri 18-Sep-09 09:55:27

Also, is it true that you are not meant to clean silver?

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 18-Sep-09 10:01:56

harrisonnnn I put my kids bath toys in the dishwasher. You just need to squeeze out the water before putting them back in the bath.

Madsometimes Fri 18-Sep-09 10:50:19

Another one who wants to know how to get the brown water mark off her loo.

Servalan Fri 18-Sep-09 11:40:39

Hi Kim

Think you are fab too!

I've got a couple of questions (well actually loads, but have whittled it down to these):

(1) the front bay windows of my house are double glazed. The sealant around them gets all speckled with black mold/mildew and stained. I'm not a huge fan of bleach and wonder if there is another way to get rid of it? Thanks

(2) all my silver earrings are tarnished and unwearable. What is the best way to restore them to how they once were?

mollyroger Fri 18-Sep-09 12:05:36

Sorry to lower the tone but
Do you get filthy fanmail letters? DH thinks you would make a splendid dominatrix and I suspect he is not the only one.....

mustrunmore Fri 18-Sep-09 12:08:01

How do you get biro off lino when all cleaning products have failed?

Whats the easiest way to clean a build up of fluff and dirt off painted tongue and groove in the bathroom?

Whats the esiest way to remove encrusted weetabix from all the nooks and crannies of diecast cars?

Is it possible to get biro off unpainted pine bunkbeds?

Would you like to donate a prize for our school raffle, pretty please? grin

smile

fanjolina Fri 18-Sep-09 12:37:17

Kim, DH's sperm once stripped the varnish off our bedside tables.

Have you considered sperm and it's potent powers for any of the cleaning challenges you have been faced with?

GentleOtter Fri 18-Sep-09 12:50:50

We have a bookcase and some doors needing done, fanjolina.

fanjolina Fri 18-Sep-09 12:53:03

better get your DP/DH on it then GentleOtter!

<<ponders how many more men would actually get off their arses to do the jobs around the house if wanking was an integral part to completing the job>>

mimimimi Fri 18-Sep-09 13:03:12

i would like to ask kim about how to let a cleaning lady know exactly what one wants her to do, mine always liked to do light tidying and ironing, etc, but never the strenuous stuff, and i was always too timid to ask a second time.....

fanjolina Fri 18-Sep-09 13:12:42

mimi - that is easy - just tell her

If you were the boss of someone in an office, you wouldn't hesitate to ask them again to do something if they hadn't followed your instructions the first time. being the boss of someone in your own home is no different.

scottishmummy Fri 18-Sep-09 15:02:08
mollyroger Fri 18-Sep-09 15:42:34

mimi - write a note

ThisBoyDerekDrew Fri 18-Sep-09 16:08:21

Ooooo I would be careful about sandpaper for the brown stuff below the loo line. I once did mine with a scourer and then it built up tonnes faster because the surface of the porcelin (or whatever toilets are made of) was scratched and that seemed to precipitate the formation of limescale scum.
To solve that I just used to ensure that I had a plentiful supply of liquid rim blocks so I have a nice layer of bubbles obscuring my (and anyone elses view of the manky bit below).

Now I have a nice shiney new toilet I stick ne of these in my bowl once a week, and a gentle scrub with a brush an hour or 2 later and I have a sparkly bowl.

NaughtyAlice Fri 18-Sep-09 17:37:35

Kim i love you!!!!

Also, i think you are related to SuperNanny Jo Frost grin

GentleOtter Fri 18-Sep-09 20:25:53

I used fine wet and dry sandpaper. The water here is a thick brown colour and a bit murky so I'm not sure if it is scratched. <not going to look down there>

nicole1983 Fri 18-Sep-09 21:19:34

I have two questions, how can i clean off a silicon sealer from off a qlass work surface. My husband was a bit messy when he fitted a sink and i can't shift it.
Also my cotton bath towels have all gone hard they are not that old, can i make them fluffy again and what am i doing wrong when i wash them. Thanks Kim the queen of clean x

I have unsealed quarry tiles on my kitchen floor. Whatever I clean them with they still look grubby. Any products or techniques recommended. I have considered sealing them but would like them clean first.
Oh and I have tried specialist tile cleaning products.

Thanks

ingles2 Fri 18-Sep-09 21:44:24

a couple of questions please Kim
how can you get mould out of the corners of painted windows caused by condensation?
also
I use astonish on my aga, but the black enamel top is still encrusted with burnt on stuff. How can I get rid of this bearing in mind it's hot.
Thanks.. and Hi to Aggie too

VulpusinaWilfsuit Fri 18-Sep-09 23:35:45

Really, the ONLY question you need to answer for my eternal gratitude is how to keep the big hairy 8 legged beasties out.

Your Australian counterpart suggest citrus oils. What do you reckon?

And, um, what do you think about the idea of cleaning and tidiness being class-specific. The posher you are, the less you care. And the intelligentsia are REAL fecking slobs, no?

lizziemun Sat 19-Sep-09 07:14:53

How do you get limescale from horrible brass taps.

I have a stainless steel cooker, but the middle ring is incrusted with brown burned on water and sauce. I have tried lots to remove it, but I can't get it off. I don't want to scrub with a scourer as it will stratch it. help

MamaG Sat 19-Sep-09 09:41:09

nicole1983 you can buy a product that gets rid of silicone - think its called silicone eater or similar. Try www.screwfix.com

bronze Sat 19-Sep-09 10:54:18

I've been getting my house ready for selling which has involve dlots of hard graft, sorting and decorating. I have a top to toe clean booked for next week. How do I go about keeping on top of it all when I also have a dog and four children including a baby to care for?
I've tried flylady but the place goes to pieces before I even get past the first week.

Littlemissmischief Sat 19-Sep-09 11:55:30

Just wanted to say, Kim I think your brilliant! I watch How clean is your house religiously and I think the way you tell the people off for being lazy and unclean is so funny!

I wonder if you can give me some tips on cleaning an old window pane,I am renting a place and the panes are wooden and dont have any protection apart from some paint (which is seriously peeling) and they are black but nothing I use seems to get it off properly and I dont want to damage them?

Many thanks x

mollyroger Sat 19-Sep-09 14:41:58

vulpinsina - conkers are your friends. Gather conkers and lace them onto strings to hang in your home. They emit a scent which spiders do not like!

Rosie29 Sat 19-Sep-09 20:43:15

I have many questions!!:

Have a mirror in the bedroom which has 'smeary' glass all the time. I clean it and it comes back, have tried glass cleaner and an e-cloth. Is there anything I can use to get it to look like glass again??

What to do with a permanently streaked glass shower screen in a very hard water area.. It depresses me to see it every morning.

Oh and how can I get my marble stairs to look shiny like when we moved in and didn't have 3 destructive kids!

MitchyInge Sun 20-Sep-09 11:12:00

Hello kim, this is like a dream come true! Now that I can no longer afford a cleaner my house often gets into the sort of state of those on How Clean Is Your House? and, short of actually getting you and Aggie in, where should I start?

DarAmi Sun 20-Sep-09 14:57:00

Hi Kim i love you and Aggie,you are fantastic.
Question is how do i possibly make my white? plastic bath look new again.We are in soft water area but it looks awful.Tried loads but to no avail.
Just revamped bathroom so rest lovely but bath lets it down.sad.
Thanks in advance.

yellowvan Sun 20-Sep-09 16:20:05

Another fan here.
I often worry that your participants have problems that go far beyond a simple aversion to cif, but are really vulnerable, desperate and mentally ill. Sometimes it is really uncomfortable viewing, and not just for the ick factor. Do they have counselling and support.? How do you decide if they are too vulnerable to take part? Do they get follow up support?

thereistheball Mon 21-Sep-09 10:39:57

Hello! Am looking forward to this.

I live in a rented flat and only have a microwave oven to cook in, which has seen cleaner days. It may be a combi microwave / convection oven - anyway it has a grill function - I tried using it once but had to give up because of the smoke hmm. How do I clean it please? I am going to get bored of salad, soup and sandwiches soon. Thanks!

Hello there Kim, I think you're wonderful.

Emergency Problem!

Please please please can you help me?!

My lovely old rough leather sofa has got some kind of mold growing on the back of it. We live in an old house and although I air it and keep it as clean as possible I can't keep out the damp. So how can I get rid of the mold without destroying the leather? I wipe it off but it comes back.

And just to add the icing on the cake I am really allergic to it and it brings me up in hives every time I go near it sad I dread to think what it's doing to my newborn's lungs.

Thank you!

MrsMerryHenry Mon 21-Sep-09 11:05:19

Hi Kim, I'm back, with two more questions:

Every day I find soggy flannels left in a crumpled heap the sink. After a while they start to stink. Is it my job to tidy this up? Of course not. My question is: How do you train a husband to squeeze the water out of flannels, dishcloths, etc and then lay them out on the side of the sink (or even on the towel rack - maybe that's Advanced Level home ec) so that they can dry out? I have had enough of telling him and I honestly don't think he notices when they start to smell. hmm at DH.

How do you train a husband (oh god this is becoming marriage counselling) not to cover the entire kitchen in dishes and then bugger off upstairs to do his work, knowing full well that when I go to cook, I'll be left having to clear up his crap again? <<ponders cooking only for self and child>>

aaaand - breeeeeeaaathe.

yay!!! At last someone on one of these chats who I like and actually know! I love you kim!!! I think you are great!

I would like some general tips on keeping a tidy home. Im a young mum with 2 little ones and I really struggle with the day to day chores. I could really use some tips and ideas to make things a little easier so that my house doesnt always look like a slum especially as I back at uni in a few weeks time.

Thanks! I think you do a great job!

pussface Mon 21-Sep-09 18:29:33

Hi Kim,

I love you and Aggie, thank you for bringing cleaning tips to the tv it's really helpful! I hope you can help me with the following:

How do you clean the inside of an oven in a non toxic chemical way? It's supposed to clean itself but its got really greasy from my dh cooking Sunday roasts.

What to do for cleaning baby wee/poo off a cream carpet - occasionally our 1 year old does a runner when nappy free! Also what can I use to clean a family bath (plastic) that the babies use.

Thank you and keep up the good work!

kazkiss Mon 21-Sep-09 19:21:13

Hello I have a quick question if you manage to get round to answering it, it would be fab. I half a glass sink that is on a metal base. but the base has now got little rust spots on it. I have tried cleaning them of but nothing seems to touch them. ( i have even tried a potato (read that somewhere). Do you have any ideas?

Many thanks

Karen

domesticslattern Mon 21-Sep-09 19:26:15

Hi Kim, please please answer the question about whether you ever wear your hair down long and swishy! If that's not too impertinent. <shallow>
Also, what do you think of e-cloths? It just doesn't seem right somehow to not use some kind of cleaning product, but they do appear to do a pretty good job. It seems too good to be true. What do you think of them?

MrRileysPies Mon 21-Sep-09 19:30:00

Our shower tray keeps taking ages to clear. Suspect it's a build-up of hair, conditioner, shampoo etc. What's the best way to get the water moving again without using harsh chemicals?

Thanks

CLEANINGFAN Mon 21-Sep-09 21:17:25

Hi Kim iam a huge fan of your programmes & have all of your books, I would like to ask what you"paint on your teeth"? as mentioned in Too posh to wash AS i am paranoid about my teeth!! Also I cant beleive you are 67 you look great! I am glad I am not the only one loves cleaning...

MrsMerryHenry Mon 21-Sep-09 21:38:58

Here's one which is on an earlier thread:

How do you clean the mouldy stuff off the bottom of bath mats without destroying the environment in the process?

BionicEar Mon 21-Sep-09 23:59:02

Hi Kim,

How on earth do you remove the black mould from tiles, which is mostly under the seal? We moved into house with this problem and have tried various products but none seem to shift it! Help!

Also with burnt on food on pans etc what the best product to use to remove it, if good hard scrubbing and washing up liquid doesn't work?

Thanks!

hi kim
just finished reading your own book you are such a brave and strong women and i do not know how you coped.
my 6 yr old dd loves you and loves watching your program.
would like some advise on how to keep damp away as we live in a small flat and it is full of it my girls have a very small room and its worse in there (lengh and weidth of single bed)

thanks x

TheCappster Tue 22-Sep-09 09:25:20

god I am so excited! This is even better than The Fonz!

<tragic>

scottishmummy Tue 22-Sep-09 09:47:11

i really love kim and aggie.unfortunately cant participate but will catch up later

Housemum Tue 22-Sep-09 10:01:45

Bionicear - i think Aggie did this on telly the other week - cream cleaner eg Cif and a scouring pad.

Shower tiles is my bugbear - that "matt" feeling - we are in a v hard water area but have a water softener, still get what feels like a limescale build up or could be salt from softened water? How do i get rid of it?

Thanks!

KimWoodburn Tue 22-Sep-09 10:27:40

testing

hi kim

eemie Tue 22-Sep-09 10:58:59

Hi Kim - not exactly cleaning - but the removal men have packed two lead crystal bowls one inside the other and they're stuck fast - how to unstick?

Tried ice cubes/salt in inner one, warm water on outer. Tried oil and WD40. Stumped now.

Love your programme by the way.

Dumbledoresgirl Tue 22-Sep-09 11:03:45

Hello Kim.

Please remember to address my loo questions further down this thread, thanks! It is not just for me - I have participated in loads of how to clean your loo threads on Mumsnet so I am sure at least half of us want to know!

kazzad Tue 22-Sep-09 11:24:26

HELP
I had a new kitchen fitted, ivory shaker with black worktops and black appliances - looked fab - but keepin the worktops free from smears is a nightmare. I have tried so many cleaning products but not found anything to suit

LedodgyDailyMailstinksofpoo Tue 22-Sep-09 11:35:11

Any tips on removing fake tan from a carpet?

My little girl adores you by the way she calls it 'The Dirty programme'.

TopSop Tue 22-Sep-09 11:44:48

Hello Kim,

Another vote here for a) cleaning the brown marks off the loo below the waterline and b) the mould that grows under the sealant around the bath. I cannot count the number of different products I've used to try and deal with b)... and none have worked properly.

Thank you so much

PS - I have no idea how you and Aggie manage to cope in some of the situations you are exposed to. A stronger woman than I...

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 22-Sep-09 12:01:09

We're very excited to be welcoming Kim Woodburn to Mumsnet. Kim will be answering as many of your questions as she can over the next hour and from the length of this thread, it looks like there's going to be a fair few. So get your scrubbing brushes and dusters out at the ready and welcome to Mumsnet, Kim...

TeamEdwardTango Tue 22-Sep-09 12:01:45

Hello!!!!

Dumbledoresgirl Tue 22-Sep-09 12:02:57

<awaits with bated breath and rubber gloves at the ready>

Whimsy Tue 22-Sep-09 12:03:05

Welcome Kim

KimWoodburn Tue 22-Sep-09 12:03:21

HI LuLu,

I wear it in a large ponytail sometimes so my hair can breathe! Always up though.

With youngsters get them a nice plastic container and have fun with them....e.g 20 toys in and you get a kiss and a cuddle! Or maybe even give them a sweetie!

Should work everytime...

Thanks for your question dear,

Housemum Tue 22-Sep-09 12:03:46

phew, just got on here in time (though Kim shouldn't see state of kitchen as I rushed in and made sandwich on way up here...)

KimWoodburn Tue 22-Sep-09 12:06:09

Hi,

If you have a window - OPEN the window whenever you are in the bathroom. -I don't care what temperature it is.... you should never get the hard water build up.

If you have no window, go to the nearest window and leave the bathroom door open and let it dry the room!

so simple, but very important. Please please don't let it dry out without the added window.

Ventilation, ventilation

Thanks,

TeamEdwardTango Tue 22-Sep-09 12:06:15

I'm on my lunchbreak from work, but I'm waiting to hear answers to all these wonderful questions so I can have a really good house clean this week!!!

futurity Tue 22-Sep-09 12:06:47

managed to get here but posted by blu tak horror posting near the beginning of thread. Look forward to hearing your advice on this and other matters (gets pen and paper ready!)

Excited
grin

KimWoodburn Tue 22-Sep-09 12:09:05

I have balck granite tops and I find that the easiest thing to do is to get a paper towel, put it under a warm tap, buff and take a dry piece and it should be crystal clear.

If you are worried about bacteria use tea tree oil. Use a couple of drops in a bowl of water and you should be fine!

Just do it everyday like me - there is nothing simpler!

Thanks lovie

LuluMamaaaaarrrrr Tue 22-Sep-09 12:09:23

<<screaaaaaaaaaaaaam>> she called me dear ! wooo hoooo

loving your work , kim! mwah x

MamaG Tue 22-Sep-09 12:09:38

I'm really excited too grin

KimWoodburn Tue 22-Sep-09 12:10:53

Oh god,

I don't know why people wear it!!

I can't answer if I don't know more details!!

But please learn a lesson - stop using that fake tan, it smells awful!

Go white and look beautiful

notgettinganyyounger Tue 22-Sep-09 12:11:10

just popping in to say kim i think you are great. always have me in stitches when you and aggie get a good old sniff of something absolutely vile in peoples houses and recoil in horror! Tickles me that does.

PS You would have a field day in mine grin

CMOTdibbler Tue 22-Sep-09 12:11:52

Ooh, Kim types just like she talks !

Any advice on getting a jelly stain out of the carpet ?

KIm-we love your programme-my 6 year old gets so excited when he sees it's on and says 'its the dirty house programme!¬' then he always says 'we should be on this mummy' because i have failed to dust that day or something!grin

thereistheball Tue 22-Sep-09 12:12:40

Hello! I posted about my revolting microwave earlier. It has a grill at the top which smokes when it is used. Hope you can help? Thanks!

twirlymum Tue 22-Sep-09 12:12:53

Hi Kim!
I also have a smelly washing machine. I put it on a hot wash with white vinegar every now and then, but the clothes are still coming out musty. Also there is horrible black mould on the rubber seal.

Hope you can help!

notgettinganyyounger Tue 22-Sep-09 12:13:12

I have to add that my dh gave me and my mum both your how clean is your house books for xmas one year. I was so offended i put it on ebay the next day grin

Housemum Tue 22-Sep-09 12:14:55

I could never go so close to toilets as you and Aggie - it's bad enough doing your own!! Is it possible to keep a loo clean without having to get your hands in? Even with gloves it turns my stomach. And without a loo brush as I think they are vile? ( - though I do get those flushable loo brush pads that go on a stick from time to time.

KimWoodburn Tue 22-Sep-09 12:15:21

hello,

brown marks are because you are from a hard water area. Take zero zero zero sand paper and you simply take a wadge, with bicarbonate of soda and give it a jolly good rub.

Please don't let it build up! - don't be lazy!

AS for the mould you take a little bit of bleach - and put an inch of warm water and an inch of belach. Put in a spray bottle and spray. Then scrub off with a toothbrush if it's quite hard!

Once again though - open those windows!!

Thanks lovey,

KimWoodburn Tue 22-Sep-09 12:17:28

It smokes when it is used lovey because it is filthy!
take a glass bowl, boil hot water, fill the bowl to about two inches before the top. Take two thick slices of lemon, out in water and put the micro on for about 2 mins!

Not only cleans but smells gorgeous!

You lazy begger - do this at least once a week!

kim you are amazing and i am so excited to be able to get tips of you x

Housemum Tue 22-Sep-09 12:19:08

thereistheball - another vote for what to do with grills - mines in the oven not the microwave, but lots of smoke whenever it's used - what to do?

Loving the epithets!

Housemum Tue 22-Sep-09 12:20:15

oops just seen the answer - but have done the burn-off-pyrolitic cleaning thing on the oven and it still smokes - would heating lemon in the oven help at all?

KimWoodburn Tue 22-Sep-09 12:20:30

Hi Twirlymum,

All you have got to do is get all of the washing out and with toothpaste (not the one with gel in - the cheapest white one) and you simply take a cloth and you put the toothpaste on and rub like mad. Even on the barrel!

When you have done that, take some biological powder and clothes softner, put that lot in and put on hottest wash and it should work a dream!!

MamaG Tue 22-Sep-09 12:21:31

I'm re posting my Qs

1. I have a blue streak on my bath where a tap was left dripping for 2 1/2 weeks (hmm at DH). How can I get rid of it?

2. Also, whats the best way to clean a yukky oven (not stainless steel, that black stuff on a Stoves oven)?

3. Where do you get your fancy rubber gloves from?

Thank you!

Is it sad that I'm more excited about Kim being a guest than the Fonz?

GypsyMoth Tue 22-Sep-09 12:21:34

hi Kim

my kids all knock on the living room window instead of the door,they leave marks that mean i have to constantly clean the windows. inside and out.

whats best thing to use? they always look smeary still.

i will NOT give in and buy nets!!!

TeamEdwardTango Tue 22-Sep-09 12:22:12

Sorry Kim. are you saying we should scrub a smelly washing machine with toothpaste?!

EccentricaGallumbits Tue 22-Sep-09 12:22:17

how do you get a extremely limescale encrusted shower door clean? Have tried.....

vinegar

lemon juice

millions of different clear type thingys

we live in an area where there is more chalk than water coming out of the taps.
it drips and is constantly splashed and is just horrible.

help.

GentleOtter Tue 22-Sep-09 12:23:19

Hi Kim,

<terribly excited grin>

How can I get really old stone flags to come up nicely? They are rough slate.

EccentricaGallumbits Tue 22-Sep-09 12:23:30

that should be cleaner, not clear.

also am loving your fancy gloves.

KimWoodburn Tue 22-Sep-09 12:25:13

Hi housemum,

One, you should never have let this oven build up!!
Everytime you use it, give it a little wipe.

If you let the oven get really really bad you can buy sprays that are quite strong which you can use. Make sure you put the gloves on!

Open all of the windows, the spray might not have a smell but it definitly has fumes!

Warm the overn, turn it off. Spray inside and leave for a long time.
Then wash off.

You really should never resort to that though! Clean woman!

Whimsy Tue 22-Sep-09 12:25:27

Any ideas how to get crayon marks off painted walls?

GypsyMoth Tue 22-Sep-09 12:25:50

bet you can't solve the problem of smelly,dirty football boots....these can't be machine washed like i would for trainers.....

i also would like to know wear to get some gloves like yours

EccentricaGallumbits Tue 22-Sep-09 12:27:06

and DH wants to know how to clean the inside of a dishwasher? Personally I chuck in some bleach and put it on a hot wash but he thinks i'll break it.

Hi I am going to repost my question too.
I inherited unsealed quarry tiles in my kitchen and despite trying srrong washing up liquid solution, biological powder solution and patent degreasers it still looks unclean and with grease spots.
Advice please.

KimWoodburn Tue 22-Sep-09 12:28:14

Gentle Otter,

If it's rough a porous you can hire a stone cleaner! they are wonderful!

On your hands and knees, use a rough scrubbing brush, biological washing powder, warm water. Dip and scrub scrub! they should come up beautifully!

Good luck dear

LedodgyDailyMailstinksofpoo Tue 22-Sep-09 12:28:21

Kim do you mean you need more details on my false tan on carpet situation? If so it's boots sun shimmer so a make up one not a stinky developing in 4 hours one. I look pasty without it. I live in Liverpool and we dont have much sun here as you know.

Housemum Tue 22-Sep-09 12:28:24

Thank you - I presume you mean wipe the grill elements after use? (the oven sides are pristine as the cleaning cycle burns any residue to ash which i wipe away)

KimWoodburn Tue 22-Sep-09 12:29:21

of course dear!

GentleOtter Tue 22-Sep-09 12:29:58

<faints with excitement>

Thank you! smile

Housemum Tue 22-Sep-09 12:30:26

Thank you!

KimWoodburn Tue 22-Sep-09 12:30:35

no no,

I mean the carpet silly!

sheeplikessleep Tue 22-Sep-09 12:31:52

ditto on the dishwasher question - i have a grime build up in mine blush

Housemum Tue 22-Sep-09 12:31:58

could I please re-post my earlier questions re wood floors and kitchen mops?:

Ovens - tips for the glass door. Our oven burns off the inside dirt (pyrolitic lining), I soak the racks in biological powder then scrub them with Brillo, but what's best for the inside glass door?

Will anything ever get the greyness off the edges of a cream carpet? I vacuum with the nozzle, but there is a persistent grey edge to the room. The guy who did the wooden floors said that it was where draughts blew dust up through the floorboards so would always be there?

Wooden floors (engineered wood not laminate or "real" wood) - tips for cleaning, and best sort of vacuum to use? Since having these I've realised just how much dust a family of five creates - presumably it just hid in the carpet before but we have dust bunnies everywhere if I turn my back!

Embarassed-to-admit-I-don't-know, but how do you clean a kitchen floor and what's best sort of mop? I use flash and a super-mop, but feel that after a couple of swipes, surely I must just be moving dirty water around. Am I supposed to do it again after with clean water? Or empty the bucket 2 or 3 times?

Loved the "cleaning bible" book by the way, particularly the stories interspersed with the chapters. You've certainly lived in some interesting homes.

WhoSaidIWasGhandi Tue 22-Sep-09 12:32:26

`hi `kim

`i have an awful problem with fruit flies in the kitchen and utility room. I clean the benches down constantly and all the fruit is put in the fridge and never allowed to over ripen but they still won't leave ! It's driving me crazy and as I'm pregnant and trying to nest it's making things even worse!!

Hope you have some pearls of wisdom!!

Thank you

KimWoodburn Tue 22-Sep-09 12:33:58

Oh goodness MamaG

Take a paper towel, soak it in thick bleach and stick it to the blue marks. Leave for as long as it takes to come off.

The oven should have been answered but the local craft shops have all of the bits and bobs you need to create my gorgeous gloves!!

MamaG Tue 22-Sep-09 12:34:10

whosaidi wasghandi - I can answer that one for you!

Make a fruit fly trap. Get an old jam jar, break a banana into the bottle then cover with cling flim. make a few tiny holes in teh cling film and flies will all go in, but not come out. Then dispose of the jar!

Trust me, it really does work dear grin

MamaG Tue 22-Sep-09 12:35:01

Thanks Kim! blush grin

LedodgyDailyMailstinksofpoo Tue 22-Sep-09 12:35:05

haha sorry. Er it's a neutral beige carpet and is made out of carpety stuff maybe has some wool in it. Not the cheapest but definately middlin' in price. grin

VinegarTits Tue 22-Sep-09 12:36:45

How do i get lime scale marks off my fridge door? i have a water dispeser in it and there are white lines all the way down my door, the door is metal, but i dont know which metal

Thanking you kindly

KimWoodburn Tue 22-Sep-09 12:37:10

Hello WhoSaid I was Ghandi, (strange name!)

Lovely, they won't come in if nothing is out!

They aren't keen on lemon, so you could always put a lemon in a hot bowl of waterand attract them that way!

I wonder if you neighbour is a mucky one and attracts them??

Last resort is to ring up and get expert bug advice!

domesticslattern Tue 22-Sep-09 12:37:45

Kim, tell us what you think of e-cloths? Miracle must-haves or modern swiz?

MamaG Tue 22-Sep-09 12:37:51

I've got anohter Q

Have you ever gone to someone's house,cleaned it up beautifully and left KNOWING that in a month it will be back in its existing state?

WhoSaidIWasGhandi Tue 22-Sep-09 12:37:55

Thanks MamaG!!

Does that keep them away for good??? Honestly the wretched things are making me almost cry writing about them! Whenever I'm pregnant I turn into a cleaning monster and my house sparkles but they won't leave!!! AAggghhh! Will try anything as long as they never ever come back...

lizziemun Tue 22-Sep-09 12:38:40

Hello Kim,

We live in the Chiltern hils and water is very chalky.

When moved in to our house there was/is a build of limescale on the brass bathroom taps. Can you let me know how to remove it without ruining the taps.

Thanks.

MamaG Tue 22-Sep-09 12:38:53

<sniggers at ledodgy>

sheeplikessleep Tue 22-Sep-09 12:39:26

this thread is hilarious grin

MamaG Tue 22-Sep-09 12:39:47

WhosaidIwasghandi - it worked when I had them, they left and never returned! If they did i would simply repeat. You could try my fly trap together with Kim's advice grin

KimWoodburn Tue 22-Sep-09 12:41:12

Ok,

Now it will take its time, but get white toilet soap, a rough face cloth, soak in warm water and rub GENTLY in circles!

You can also, but please do be careful, you can take peroxide and then put it gently on the area (but only a little bit), as it will make it lighter. Take the cloth (which has been in warm water) and gently rub.

Good luck! it will take a lot of work..

and please lovey, remember not to use that horrible stuff!

EccentricaGallumbits Tue 22-Sep-09 12:41:23

I need a nap but i'd like to know what to do with my chalky shower and manky dishwasher first.
thanks.

kim-what do you REALLY think of the people whose houses you clean? what about the woman who was sleeping on the sofa and when you went back she hadn't even hoovered?
do you really want to slap them?

addictedtomn Tue 22-Sep-09 12:41:50

hi kim, do you ever get fed up of people attitudes when your showing them how to clean and they are not intrested?

have you or aggie ever lost your tempers and had to have it eddited out?

smile

VinegarTits Tue 22-Sep-09 12:42:07

i am going to try the fly trap, bloody fruit flies are driving me crazy atm

WhoSaidIWasGhandi Tue 22-Sep-09 12:42:10

Thank you to the both of you! You may have actually saved my sanity!!

Tortoise Tue 22-Sep-09 12:43:19

Hi Kim.
How do i whiten tile grout? I have tried Bicarb so many times and bleach but it still looks terrible.
Thanks.

addictedtomn Tue 22-Sep-09 12:43:29

mildmanneredjannitor xposted nut i was thinking of her too!

GentleOtter Tue 22-Sep-09 12:44:21

Can I greedily ask another question?

Now, I like things to be neat and tidy yet live with a family of warthogs.
How can they be housetrained to keep things spick and span?
(Ages are 2 - 53)

LedodgyDailyMailstinksofpoo Tue 22-Sep-09 12:44:30

Thankyou Kim. I promise not use it anymore. smile

tortoise-you can get a grout pen from b and q that you 'write' on the grout with and it makes it white again

KimWoodburn Tue 22-Sep-09 12:45:08

Hi Lizziemum,

now this is only for solid brass taps!

Wrap a paper towel right around the tap then take pure vinegar and soaks it around the brass. Then leave and you shoudl find that all the green marks are off!
Use warm soapy water to wash again!

If it not solid brass you can buy a special product from any hardware store

GypsyMoth Tue 22-Sep-09 12:45:31

Kim....are mumsnet hq providing you with tea and biccies?? which biscuits do you get offered???

EccentricaGallumbits Tue 22-Sep-09 12:46:13

i think she's a garibldi type of gal. or those nobbly shorty ones.

hi kim
just reposting what can i do with damp we have redecorated and i have window open first thing in the morning but nothing works

LedodgyDailyMailstinksofpoo Tue 22-Sep-09 12:46:54

Fig rolls everytime I reckon.

EccentricaGallumbits Tue 22-Sep-09 12:47:29

last one before my nap.

the dog's anal glands exploded on the carpet yesterday.

i have scrubbed it with an assortment of biological washing powder and soda crystals and other stuff but it still stinks.
any suggestions?

KimWoodburn Tue 22-Sep-09 12:47:31

Hi Tortoise,

hmmm not quite sure why bleach isn't working - you may need to use thick bleach, cover it and take teh toothbrush, pat it in and it should go!

I have never known a case where this hasn't worked. Just make sure it is pure bleach!

GentleOtter Tue 22-Sep-09 12:47:39

A nice china plate for the crumbs..

sheeplikessleep Tue 22-Sep-09 12:47:41

Kim - loving this thread - practical and so funny!

Can I ask - do your friends have a spring clean before they know you are visiting? grin

VinegarTits Tue 22-Sep-09 12:47:48

What can i use to clean the brown stuff off my iron?

ooh no-i think kim would like a nice viennese whirl-she's a very sophisticated lady

LilRedWG Tue 22-Sep-09 12:48:36

Tostoise - Domestos Grot Buster is fab!

MamaG Tue 22-Sep-09 12:48:55

Nah I think they've got posh bics in for Kim.

VinegarTits Tue 22-Sep-09 12:49:21

and lime scale off my fridge door?

please smile

KimWoodburn Tue 22-Sep-09 12:49:38

mumof2 rugrats,

now if you open the windows regularly you really need to bring someone in. You may well need treatment from a professional..

But windows open - even fans for extra circulation will help!

Good luck!

kitkat9 Tue 22-Sep-09 12:49:58

the fruit fly trap works really well with vinegar in the jar too - the little buggers crawl into the glass then drown

<evil cackle>

also you have to put all your fruit in the fridge till you get rid of them or they just keep coming back.

Any jobs going on HCIYH Kim? smile

GypsyMoth Tue 22-Sep-09 12:50:09

which biscuits Kim??

footie boots??

glass?

any tips??

MamaG Tue 22-Sep-09 12:50:18

Eccentrica for God's sake I'm eating mylunch!

EccentricaGallumbits Tue 22-Sep-09 12:51:00

sorry.
i think my house is beyond even kim sad

thank you kim
i finished reading your own book at the weekend and im so proud of what you have made of yourself well done smile

Waiting patiently looking at quarry tiles.
smile

KimWoodburn Tue 22-Sep-09 12:51:48

Vinegartits,

Oh god aren't they awful! right, all you need to do is go the iron mongers, get the zero zero zero cloth and you can rub to get it off.

When you finish, press the steam button and put it away dry! it baffles me how people don't do this!

VinegarTits Tue 22-Sep-09 12:52:28

<pushes her way to the front>

Lime scale and brown shit off my iron? mucho thankyaw grin

VinegarTits Tue 22-Sep-09 12:53:37

ah x-posts smile

Thankyou, its only happens when my ds1 uses it, he burns everthing and make my iron black hmm

Eek 6 mins to tell all on quarry tiles and more importantly Biscuits.

MaryAmericanSmooth Tue 22-Sep-09 12:55:58

Kim posts like she speaks on tv -I can imagine her voice !

KimWoodburn Tue 22-Sep-09 12:56:02

ilovetiffany,

oooh, well I personally love Nice biscuits!

I love them......even I have a slip (but never in company)

ingles2 Tue 22-Sep-09 12:56:29

arggghhh Shite I've missed it....
Did she answer my aga enamel question??????

MadrasHouse Tue 22-Sep-09 12:56:36

Hello Kim!

Any tips on resurrecting a thermos flask with caked on coffee gunk inside (due to dh never washing it our properly)?

Thank you!

GentleOtter Tue 22-Sep-09 12:56:42

I am sweeping mine as I write FlyMeToDunoon...

HarrietToo Tue 22-Sep-09 12:56:47

Hello Kim - can you tell me what the best way to keep a stainless steel sink shiny is? Ours always has tea stains and hard water stains on it?
Thanks!

GypsyMoth Tue 22-Sep-09 12:57:43

ahhh.....good old nice!!

kids always leave those ones....

ingles2 Tue 22-Sep-09 12:57:49

you're still here ...
<simpers>? hello Kim....
How can I get burnt off food off the top of my aga... I use astonish.. but it isn't (astonishing that is)

madras house-put some hot water and washing up liquid in it with a handful of rice and give it a really good shake. the rice will lift off the gunk.

KimWoodburn Tue 22-Sep-09 12:58:41

Flymetodamoon,

ok so quarry tiles. It's dead easy - they were the first tiles to go in houses.! look, just scrub them. Hot sopay water and a scrubbing brush and buff them...

If it is the groating use some bleach - it really won't harm at all!

perhaps you have some tips GentleOtter grin

futurity Tue 22-Sep-09 12:59:43

reposting blu tak question as am desperate!: How on earth do I get Blu Tak off an interior brick wall? (I mistakenly put posters up in the conservatory a few years ago for my son and didn't use my brain not thinking that Blu Tak and brick walls don't mix!). I've tried EVERYTHING and am now down to picking it off with a pin. Blu Tak website was no good..just said "we don't recommend using Blu Tak on a brick wall!"

twirlymum Tue 22-Sep-09 13:00:10

Thank you Kim,

I will try it this afternoon.

Oh sounds very simple!
Thank you.
Buff.... with what? Polish?

KimWoodburn Tue 22-Sep-09 13:01:24

Hi HarrietToo,

oooh it really is so so easy. Take a scouring pad (nylon), throw some washing up liquid on it, go like the scrubbers and you will be fine!!

For the more stubborn stains white toothpaste will do the job!

You can also use vinegar (i really do swear by this stuff)

LedodgyDailyMailstinksofpoo Tue 22-Sep-09 13:01:52

A soft dry cloth I think Flyme, polish on stone floor may be a bit dangerous!

KimWoodburn Tue 22-Sep-09 13:02:23

Loveys,

Thanks for the questions!
Remeber to clean clean

ta da now

xx

EccentricaGallumbits Tue 22-Sep-09 13:02:51

Humph.

True yes. Was getting carried away.
grin

MamaG Tue 22-Sep-09 13:03:11

bye Kim thanks a lot

bye kim-we love you!

LedodgyDailyMailstinksofpoo Tue 22-Sep-09 13:03:45

Bye Kim. Thankyou. grin

GentleOtter Tue 22-Sep-09 13:04:09

Ours are set straight on the Mother Earth, FlyMe and have been down since 1880 ish plus they are not sealed and 100 years of dust from the farmyard has dulled them.

I'm wondering whether something obnoxious like paraffin or the like would bring back the shineyness to yours...? The old cleaning books mention paraffin. Get the biscuits in for the fire brigade if it all goes pear shaped.

They like chocolate hob-nobs <taps nose knowingly>

Bye, thanks.

GentleOtter Tue 22-Sep-09 13:04:51

Oh! Don't go Kim.

MadrasHouse Tue 22-Sep-09 13:05:01

Bye Kim - you're brill!

Thanks tmmj - will try the rice wink

thank you bye

ingles2 Tue 22-Sep-09 13:06:20

who was asking about unsealed floor tiles???
I found this out by accident when we had some unsealed terracotta..
neat Mr Muscle! you would not believe the difference.
Try it in a corner because they tiles came up super clean and it might be too much

domesticslattern Tue 22-Sep-09 13:06:34

Thanks Kim! (even though I was not a favoured questioner so forced to return to my slatternly ways)

Madsometimes Tue 22-Sep-09 13:07:24

MNers what is the sand paper that Kim mentioned? Is it the extra fine stuff?

Oooh. The very thought that very clean tiles could be too much!
grin

Gosh that went too quickly didn't it.
I could have Kim round for tea and biscuits and quiz her for hours.

GentleOtter Tue 22-Sep-09 13:08:35

Yes Mad. It is the 000 stuff

Not a mad stalker honestly.

LedodgyDailyMailstinksofpoo Tue 22-Sep-09 13:09:10

I'd love to go out for a drink with her.

GentleOtter Tue 22-Sep-09 13:09:55

Well I am <mad stalker face>

Madsometimes Tue 22-Sep-09 13:11:00

Thanks Gentle, I will send dh out in search of it, because my loos are a disgrace. Kim was much better at answering questions than Ed Balls, wasn't she grin

charleymouse Tue 22-Sep-09 13:13:05

ingles2 which Mr Muscle product? please.

ingles2 Tue 22-Sep-09 13:14:10

Kitchen charley...

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 22-Sep-09 13:14:43

Typically about to say goodbye and my computer crashed! Big thanks to Kim for joining us and to you for your wealth of questions. What an amazing knowledge she has! To make sure you don't get your toothpaste muddled up with your bicarbinate of soda we'll be archiving the webchat which should make it much easier to follow. We'll be linking to this from the home page later today.

GentleOtter Tue 22-Sep-09 13:14:45

I used the fine wet and dry (and rubber gloves) and it removed the peat water marks from from a toilet which had not been cleaned for years by previous occupants. <barf>

It comes up really well.

MrsMills Tue 22-Sep-09 13:25:32

So now, everyone report back in 2 days time after using Kims tips.

Dirty beggars grin

GentleOtter Tue 22-Sep-09 13:26:45

Well, she never advised how to train the warthogs so I'm scuppered there.

scrappydappydoo Tue 22-Sep-09 13:34:19

Madras house - I have same problem with my dh - use denture cleaning tablets - just eave to soak over night and ta da all gone

MadrasHouse Tue 22-Sep-09 13:42:23

lol scrappy - I use denture tabs too but there's still a lot left there shock

They are great for baked on le Creuset nightmares though...

Tortoise Tue 22-Sep-09 14:17:59

Thanks Kim smile. Will go purchase the best bleach i can find and give the grout another go. grin

LilRedWG Tue 22-Sep-09 14:37:31

Tortoise - get this.

corblimeymadam Tue 22-Sep-09 15:14:52

Still don't know how to get toothpaste out of clothes... got my question in days ago too.... humph...

<<bb has an irrational sulk>>

CrackWhoretoPaulDacre Tue 22-Sep-09 15:54:23

Belgian - keep a clothes peg in the bathroom and fasten a handtowel round you bib-style. There's no way short of washing to get rid of toothpaste IME, and if you use whitening toothpaste you have to soak it v quick.

corblimeymadam Tue 22-Sep-09 16:07:10

Thanks crackwhore... always wanted to call someone that but always felt it was rather rude to do so! grin

CrackWhoretoPaulDacre Tue 22-Sep-09 16:22:08

So happy to help on many levels!

rubyslippers Tue 22-Sep-09 16:32:16

thanks for answering my question Kim smile

she was fab wasn't she?

i think we should invite her to the mn xmas party grin

3littlefrogs Tue 22-Sep-09 18:09:13

Blu tak on brick wall - try a wire brush, even better, try holding ice pack on the blutak for a few minutes, then wire brush.

OurLadyOfPerpetualSupper Tue 22-Sep-09 19:55:42

Ingles2, fear not - there's a fantastic concoction care of Anthea Turner (hope Kim isn't listening), called Anthea's Ultimate Grimebuster:

2tbsp white vinegar
2rsp borax
2 teacups water
3 drops lavender oil
3 drops tea tree oil
Mix together, pour into a sprayer and, as Anthea says, away you go!

Works a treat on the Aga, as do those cleaning blocks you can get.

Wish there was some way of successfully cleaning inside the lids. Any clues?

CloudDragon Tue 22-Sep-09 20:35:04

to get rid of crayon on walls (ir anything) -scrub with white toothpaste

a miracle!

MamaG Tue 22-Sep-09 20:47:20

Do you know, Iactually think I was Kim's favourite on this chat. I really do.

LedodgyDailyMailstinksofpoo Tue 22-Sep-09 20:57:49

No Mama G it was definately me. <she did love us didn't she?> grin

MamaG Tue 22-Sep-09 20:58:59

She loved me more than you. I actually HELPED two MNers with their problems, you just described fake tan in great detail grin grin

LedodgyDailyMailstinksofpoo Tue 22-Sep-09 21:01:39

grin did you notice she wouldn't say my name though in her replies to me but did to everyone else I dont tink se wanted to write down 'Daily Mail stinks of poo' in case she was sued or something.

MamaG Tue 22-Sep-09 21:05:18

bless her

LatinDAISYcal Tue 22-Sep-09 23:46:54

<sobs>

I missed this sad sad and she didn't answer my question (posted last week!!!!) about my old and tired uPVC window frames sad

LilRedWG Wed 23-Sep-09 08:31:21

DAISY - DH used a JML Magic Eraser on ours - they came up like new.

GentleOtter Wed 23-Sep-09 15:28:07

Well, I hate to pee on everyone's parade but I think FlyMeToDunoon and I were odds on favourites with our floors. <preen>

LatinDAISYcal- try the new Jeyes Fluid squirty stuff (Asda) - it is yellow. I went mental with cleaning yesterday and got some of this stuff and it is brilliant on uPVC, grotty bits and other things.

We discovered loads of mushrooms growing out of the kitchen wall yesterday shock

LatinDAISYcal Wed 23-Sep-09 22:28:03

thanks for the tips GentleOtter and LilRedWG smile

MamaG Thu 24-Sep-09 10:00:00

GentleOTter you can NOT be a favourite if you have fungus growing in your house <wrinkles nose>

fanjolina Thu 24-Sep-09 15:36:49

Damn - she didn't answer the loobrush question

GentleOtter Thu 24-Sep-09 21:24:50

I am going to take a photo of them MamaG and post them if I can figure out how to do it. We are all shocked - I knew it was damp but they just appeared and are big orangey things like ears.shock
I have a nice clean floor but a toadstool wall <wail>

MamaG Fri 25-Sep-09 12:41:45

Yes, do. Either upload direclty from your computer onto MyMumsent, or upload to picturetrail and link <bossy>

KimWoodbum Fri 25-Sep-09 12:44:46

hello again dears

Just popped back quickly to settle the argument and let you know that my favourite Mumsnetter is MamaG.

Keep cleaning ladies!

LedodgyDailyMailstinksofpoo Fri 25-Sep-09 12:45:21

Nice try mama you almost got me then! grin

GentleOtter Fri 25-Sep-09 19:46:50

Had a right kerfuffle doing all that MamaG but the mushrooms should be on profile. They have grown today.
They are in the ceiling/waterpipe area and it looks all horrid. Yes, Kim would not be very impressed and Aggie would take a swab.

What on earth are they?

GentleOtter Fri 25-Sep-09 19:49:59

Damn. That did not work. <tries again and hopes the bloody Christmas tree pic does not appear>

MamaG Sun 27-Sep-09 12:56:05

ooh Gentle those are awful aren't they!

WHAT ledodgy, WHAT?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now