WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus one follow-up once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't moan if your question doesn't get answered. 4. Do be civil/polite. See full guidelines here.

Live webchat with Henry Winkler on Monday 6th July at 9pm (GMT)

(466 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 01-Jul-09 09:59:09

We're delighted to welcome Mr Henry Winkler (aka The Fonz) to Mumsnet for a live webchat from his home in LA. Henry has transformed his own experiences of struggling through school with unidentified dyslexia into a great series of books for kids; 'Hank Ziper: The World's Greatest Underachiever'. As well as telling us about his books, Henry will be chatting about his own experiences with dsylexia, his recent tour of UK schools and of course dancing around the juke box at Arnold's Restaurant. If you can't join us on the day, post your advance questions here.

policywonk Wed 01-Jul-09 10:00:14

<screams>

MrsMills Wed 01-Jul-09 10:06:36

Cooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

Jux Wed 01-Jul-09 10:11:38

Oh cool!

Are we supposed to be asking him about child-rearing?

oh the Fonz - cool he's fantastic. My friend worked with him in Panto last year in Milton Keynes.

yappybluedog Wed 01-Jul-09 10:16:21

no way!

morningpaper Wed 01-Jul-09 10:17:49

<swoon>

can't think of any appropriate questions

schneebly Wed 01-Jul-09 10:46:26

Ooh how fantastic! No probing questions but I just want to say to Henry that my mum loved him. She passed away 7 1/2 years ago now but when I see him it always makes me smile when I think of how she used to love the Fonz. smile

LeninGrad Wed 01-Jul-09 10:48:16

Lol pw!

midnightexpress Wed 01-Jul-09 10:48:30

Heeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

DP thinks (mistakenly) that he looks like the Fonz.

But I can't think of any questions. So perhaps I'll just <<wave>>.

AitchTwoOh Wed 01-Jul-09 10:48:54

aaaaaaaaay! <thumbs up>

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 01-Jul-09 11:22:18

<<Feels so right, it can't be wrong.
Rockin' and rollin' all week long.>>

Hello Henry

(Great name btw, my little boy is called Henry grin)

A coupla questions for you to get the ball rolling!

Do you ever get annoyed when people say "aaaay!" when you walk into a room?

Do you share any of Fonzie's characteristics?

Also, you seem to spend a lot of time in the UK, how come? Is it just cos you love panto season?!

grin

Chattox Wed 01-Jul-09 11:23:18

shock and grin

The actual Fonz!

<goes all starstruck and giddy>

Will try to think of non Fonz related questions though..

Jux Wed 01-Jul-09 11:38:17

OK, silly me, it helps if you read the op doesn't it?grin

Henry, many many people have grown up thinking that they must be stupid when actually they are dyslexic. A lucky few find out what their real problem is, but have spent so many years thinking that they are stupid that it is very very hard for them to change their self-image. Do you have any suggestions as to what might be done to help these people or advice for them?

(My bf has just gained a degree, in her 50s - yay, or is it hey! - having spent most of her life 'being' the stupid one. Even though she's just graduated and therefore can't be stupid she hasn't quite adjusted her self-image yet.)

TheFool Wed 01-Jul-09 12:47:43

The word "stupid" is banned in our house (and in Psychomum's) due to us both having dyslexic husbands who heard it so much and were hurt by it as children.

I have no specific questions, but needed to come on the thread and

PMSL at Olivia being sensible and asking questions whilst the rest of MN swoons! (Lenin excepted, possibly/I imagine!)

Could this be a first for MN? A live chat where none of us can chat because we're dribbling so much?

LeninGrad Wed 01-Jul-09 13:18:20

No swooning BIWI, you're right there, but I wanted to be the Fonz, as any self-respecting baby-dyke would; all those girls cooing, the clothes, the bike (did he have a motorbike or am I imaging it?), the Mums fawning. Bliss!

ohhhh I lovvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeee him!! I used to wake up at 6am in the morning cos happy days was on C4 at 6.30am when I was about 13shock

Did anyone else see the title and go "ohh the Fonz, wait a minute why would MN invite the Fonz, it must be someone else" and then open it to find it's actually the Fonz.

No questions just bookmarking to read later.

Saw him in pantomime a couple of years ago at Wimbledon and he was brilliant.

thell Thu 02-Jul-09 01:05:49

<<swoon>>
grin

bubblerock Thu 02-Jul-09 08:07:37

Libra - I did exactly the same lol grin

southeastastra Thu 02-Jul-09 08:11:52

fantstic!
dear arthur wink
how were you at mathematics?

Pan Thu 02-Jul-09 08:42:08

Goodbye grey sky
Hello blue.

EccentricaGallumbits Thu 02-Jul-09 08:48:22

Happy Days! This is so cool (overused word but appropriate here!)

DD1 is dyslexic. I do worry that she will be judged by her writing and spelling forever more. She really doesn't care that she can't spell for toffee but I do. Hadn't heard about te Hank Zipper book so am heading over to amazon to have a looksy. Will also try to think of an interesting question. grin and grin again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now