MN WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus a follow-up question if appropriate, ie once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't be disappointed if your specific question doesn't get answered and do try not to keep posting "What about me?". 4. Do be civil/polite. See guidelines in full here.

Live webchat with Celebrity TV chef Lesley Waters Weds 13th May 1-2pm -questions on fussy eaters, nutrition and recipe tips welcome

(83 Posts)
carriemumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 11-May-09 12:41:18

Hi all

Lesley Waters will be joining us on Wednesday, 13th May between 1-2pm for a live chat.

A mum of two and team member on Ready, Steady, Cook and This Morning, Lesley has first hand experience when it comes to children's eating habits and is happy to answer questions about fussy eaters. She's also keen on inspiring children to cook and presented TV show 'Little Chefs'.

Currently, Lesley's taking her knowledge and passion for children's nutrition to parents across the UK, by hosting the first ever cook-a-long for parents on the web.

The first in a series of online master classes from well-known names in the world of cookery, art, and entertainment, Lesley has created three fun cook-a-long recipes, encouraging children to enjoy themselves in the kitchen, get their hands messy and learn about cooking healthy, nutritious meals and the benefits of a healthy diet. Designed to suit three different age groups, 4-6yrs, 7-9yrs, and 10-12yrs, Haliborange Shiny School gives parents ideas and tips on how to have fun and learn something new as a family whilst providing nutritional advice. You can see the online classes here www.shinyschool.co.uk

As always, if you can't make it on Weds, feel free to post advance questions here. Otherwise we'll see you Weds lunchtime.

CMOTdibbler Thu 14-May-09 21:04:08

I had to go yesterday, but if Lesley is in contact, I was talking to someone who reliably informed me that the issue with gf pastry is that the flour can't take up water - you need to blend the flour with egg white to coat it, then rub in the fat, then add water. I can't vouch for this yet, apart from all of their gf baking being exquisite

Polenta cake looks divine

grandmabet Thu 14-May-09 08:16:31

Thanks Helen

squilly Wed 13-May-09 20:18:11

Thanks Lesley. Much appreciated.

MARGOsBeenDrinkingTea Wed 13-May-09 19:31:44

OOOOO Lesley, come back soon please!

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 13-May-09 16:42:34

grandmabet: it's posted earlier in the thread by Lesley at 14.26.33

grandmabet Wed 13-May-09 16:30:38

I can't find the receipt for the scrummy lemon and poppyseed muffins?

ilovesprouts Wed 13-May-09 15:07:14

me too very nice lady

Amapoleon Wed 13-May-09 15:04:06

Thanks for the recipe! smile

Frivol Wed 13-May-09 14:51:15

i liked her.

chipmonkey Wed 13-May-09 14:49:11

Really nice lady, very sensible too!

Carmenere Wed 13-May-09 14:46:49

She was lovely wasn't she?smile

chipmonkey Wed 13-May-09 14:43:33

Ah, feck it! Must post faster!grin

chipmonkey Wed 13-May-09 14:42:54

Lesley, I have a menu-planner book at the moment (Leanne Ely's Saving Dinner)which I find invaluable as it gives a shopping list of all the ingredients and recipes you will need for a week's dinners.

However I do find that it has 2 drawbacks. The first is that is is an American book so some ingredients can be hard to find and called different names from what we would call them .ie chickpeas = garbanzo beans.

The second is that a lot of the recipes are not baby or toddler-friendly or at least my one-year old is not terribly keen on jalapeno peppers.

Would you consider writing a book like that for families here with young children?

lesleywaters Wed 13-May-09 14:27:42

Thanks for all your questions and comments. I've tried to get through as many as possible. Over and out... Lesley

lesleywaters Wed 13-May-09 14:26:33

Hi Porpoise, these little muffins make great individual birthday cakes. Top with your smarties etc, but I think they look better fresh berries. Stick a candle in each so everyone get a chance to blow out a candle.

POPPY SEED AND LEMON MUFFINS

MAKES 12

225g self-raising flour
2 tsp baking powder
225g unsalted butter, softened
4 large eggs
225g caster sugar
3 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons blue poppy seeds
50g ground almonds
2 lemons, zest only, reserve 2tbsp lemon juice for topping

for the topping

reserved lemon juice
150g mascarpone cheese
100g cream cheese
4 tablespoons lemon curd
200g raspberries

1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C, 350F, Gas 4. Line 12 muffin moulds with cases.

2. Put the flour, baking powder, butter, eggs, sugar and milk in a food processor and mix well.

3. Add the poppy seeds, almonds and lemon zest and pulse the processor until mixed in well.

4. Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases, approximately ¾ full. Bake for 20-25 minutes until just firm. Cool for 5 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack and leave to cool completely.

5. To make the topping, mix the lemon juice, mascarpone, cream cheese and lemon curd together. Spread over the top of the muffins and decorate with the raspberries.

lesleywaters Wed 13-May-09 14:19:45

Hi Amapoleon, here's a great asparagus recipe - I like to roast or griddle the asparagus instead steaming. For a more child-friendly version, serve with scrambled or boiled eggs and replace bread soilders with aparagus tips to dunk...enjoy!!

SKILLET ASPARAGUS WITH POACHED EGG AND CHILLIED SPRING ONIONS

SERVES 4

450g (1lb) asparagus
3 tablespoons olive oil
½ bunch of spring onion, very finely shredded into strips
1 red chilli, de-seeded and cut into slivers
4 very fresh eggs
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar

Pre heat the oven to gas mark 6 /200C .Snap off the woody ends of the asparagus and toss with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.

Preheat a griddle pan. Add the asparagus to the pan and griddle for 1-2 minutes then transfer to a hot oven for a further 3-4 minutes or until just cooked. Meanwhile heat the remaining oil in a small pan. Add the spring onion and chilli and gently fry for 1-2 minutes until softened.

For the eggs, bring a shallow pan of water to the boil, add the vinegar. Crack each egg into a cup and gently tip into the water. Reduce the water to a simmer and poach the eggs for 2-3 minutes until just set (using a slotted spoon to bring the white together if necessary). Lift out the cooked eggs with a slotted spoon and rest the spoon briefly on kitchen paper.

Divide the asparagus spears between four plates and top with a poached egg , spoon over the chilli spring onions and serve at once. .

Rhubarb Wed 13-May-09 14:17:16

Many thanks for the reassurance Lesley! You have actually made me feel much better about it! smile

muggglewump Wed 13-May-09 14:16:21

Thanks for answering Lesley.
I do that already but it's good to have it confirmed.

Fimbo Wed 13-May-09 14:16:21

Waitrose sell a devine lime and coconut ice-cream would be great with the receipe

lesleywaters Wed 13-May-09 14:14:53

Hi CMOTdibbler, here's the recipe for the GF polenta cake. You can replace the lime with orange or lemon juice. PS - got any tips for GF pastry that behaves?

CRUSTED LIME POLENTA CAKE

SERVES 8-10

225g / 8oz unsalted butter
225g / 8oz caster sugar
3 eggs, beaten
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
225g / 8oz ground almonds
juice and zest 3 limes
115g / 4oz polenta flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
pinch salt
butter and flour for greasing

for the crust
juice of 2 limes
3 tablespoons caster sugar

1. Preheat the oven to 160 C / 325 F / Gas Mark 3. Butter and flour a 25cm/9 inch loose-bottom cake tin.

2. In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugar using an electric whisk until pale and light.

3. Gradually beat in the eggs. Stir in the vanilla extract and ground almonds.

4. Fold in the lime juice and zest, polenta, baking powder and salt.

5. Spoon into the prepared cake tin and bake for approximately 1 hour 15 minutes or until just set and golden brown.

6. Meanwhile mix together the ingredients for the lime crust in a bowl.

7. When the cake is cooked, prick well using a skewer and pour over the lime crust mix. Allow the cake to cool for 15 minutes in the tin.

8. Remove from the tin and serve still warm or allow to cool completely before slicing.

Serve with mascarpone or coconut ice cream

JulesJules Wed 13-May-09 14:14:12

Cheers, Lesley! Will have a go at deconstructed noodles! Thanks for replying, <mmwwahhh>

lesleywaters Wed 13-May-09 14:12:34

Thanks Fimbo!!

Fimbo Wed 13-May-09 14:11:57

Tell her to put the red bits back in her hair!

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 13-May-09 14:10:29

Lesley's time is nearly up now, we're afraid. She's just going to post the recipes she was talking about before she leaves...

lesleywaters Wed 13-May-09 14:06:47

muggglewump, nice to hear from you! When buying meat and fish etc, my feeling is quality rather than quantity - pad this out with lots of seasonal ingredients that will be at their best and cheapest. Also futher extend with store cupboard ingredients such as pasta, rice and beans.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now