MN WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus a follow-up question if appropriate, ie once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't be disappointed if your specific question doesn't get answered and do try not to keep posting "What about me?". 4. Do be civil/polite. See guidelines in full here.

Live webchat with Celebrity TV chef Lesley Waters Weds 13th May 1-2pm -questions on fussy eaters, nutrition and recipe tips welcome

(83 Posts)
carriemumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 11-May-09 12:41:18

Hi all

Lesley Waters will be joining us on Wednesday, 13th May between 1-2pm for a live chat.

A mum of two and team member on Ready, Steady, Cook and This Morning, Lesley has first hand experience when it comes to children's eating habits and is happy to answer questions about fussy eaters. She's also keen on inspiring children to cook and presented TV show 'Little Chefs'.

Currently, Lesley's taking her knowledge and passion for children's nutrition to parents across the UK, by hosting the first ever cook-a-long for parents on the web.

The first in a series of online master classes from well-known names in the world of cookery, art, and entertainment, Lesley has created three fun cook-a-long recipes, encouraging children to enjoy themselves in the kitchen, get their hands messy and learn about cooking healthy, nutritious meals and the benefits of a healthy diet. Designed to suit three different age groups, 4-6yrs, 7-9yrs, and 10-12yrs, Haliborange Shiny School gives parents ideas and tips on how to have fun and learn something new as a family whilst providing nutritional advice. You can see the online classes here www.shinyschool.co.uk

As always, if you can't make it on Weds, feel free to post advance questions here. Otherwise we'll see you Weds lunchtime.

Fimbo Mon 11-May-09 13:07:51

Ooh I like her and I loved when she had the red bits in her hair.

TrinityIsLovingHerLittleRhino Mon 11-May-09 13:10:37

Hi Lesley
Big fan of yours smile

I have a 9yr old and a 4 yr old who dont like foods touching each other and wont try new things.

Any advice?
Thanks very much
smile

moondog Mon 11-May-09 13:43:21

Haliborange Shiny School my arse.

HRHQueenElizabethII Mon 11-May-09 15:59:11

Hmm - am with Moony a bit - if Haliborange were truly to promote healthy eating, would they not be putting themselves out of business?

And "Shiny School"? Blee.

TrinityIsLovingHerLittleRhino Mon 11-May-09 16:15:24

yeah me too but shit I'll try anything grin

moondog Mon 11-May-09 16:28:31

Ah well, y'see I'd rather spent any extra cash on wine for me, not ridiculous supplements for Western kids who are already groaning at the seams and if anything, need a bit less shovelled down them, not more.

So, I'll say it again.
My arse.

Not sure I understand Moondog.

You think that Western children are over indulged?

moondog Mon 11-May-09 17:56:13

Average Western child does not ned supplements, no.

BernardsCat Mon 11-May-09 17:57:22

lesley

DO NOT TELL ME IT IT MY FAULT MY KID/S IS FUNNY.

DO NOT TELL ME TO MAKE THEM COOK IT

DO NOT TELL ME TO MAKE FUNNY SHAPES OUT OF BUTTERNUT SQUASH

PLEASE EXPLAIN A KID WHO WONT EAT ROAST POTATOES BUT WILL EAT CHIPS

it doesnt work
<sigh>

BernardsCat Mon 11-May-09 17:57:47

I MEANT FUSSY
SORRY
rantlock on ™

ProstetnicVogonJeltz Mon 11-May-09 18:50:46

Can you come around here and sort out my DD?
She is 11. She will only eat
GF muffins
GF crackers
pizza (as long as only small amount of tomato base and only cheese topping)
chips
roast chicken
roast potato

That. Is. It.

I have tried. Truly I have.

Help.

CMOTdibbler Mon 11-May-09 20:25:57

Why do all childrens cooking things have to be for sweet things or in stupid shapes ? I'd like more recipes for normal foods that are more prepare and shove in oven/minimal stirring that I can cook with my nearly 3 year old.

And I hope very much that this will be inclusive of recipes for children who are gf/df/ef

If you have a recipe tip for gluten free pastry that stays together without a consitency of cardboard I'd be very happy

JulesJules Tue 12-May-09 07:33:33

Hi Lesley, yes I'm with CMOT on the bung it in the oven type of cooking please - no carrot sculptures! (And Cmot, have you looked at Pig in the Kitchen recipe blog, dairy, egg, nut and gluten free plus pretty pictures and entertaining to read smile)

My dds don't like anything where the food is mixed up together - stir fries, paella, egg fried rice etc so it's hard to sneak in extra veg. They do love soup, but I can't make soup every day, sigh. Any tips?

Porpoise Tue 12-May-09 17:21:21

Hi Lesley - have you got a really good, foolproof recipe for a kids' birthday cake? Preferably with lots of icing and Smarties...

squilly Tue 12-May-09 17:40:01

Hi Lesley

My dd is 8 and is a little fussy with food. She went through the stage of not wanting food to touch when she around 5 and she's gone from a very limited diet to a just limited diet. She'll now eat meatballs (but only one variety), pasta, potatoes, chips (but she likes lots of salt, which I'm trying to discourage) cucumber, carrots, cheese, but she won't mix foods.

Do you have any suggestions on how I can get her from single food groups to mixed items and recipes?

She has recently started to eat chocolate cake/muffins that are home made, but it's a new development really.

Thanks

ilovesprouts Tue 12-May-09 18:59:49

hiya my little boy will only eat soft foods if we give him anything to chew he spits it out he will eat cheese sarnies, yogarts spag etc if he has anything whith lumps in he gags how can i get him to eat diff foods thanks smile

letswiggle Wed 13-May-09 08:52:37

One of my children won't eat any fruit or vegetables. It can't be my fault as I have two other children, one of whom loves veg, and the other fruit. What shall I do? I thought it might be the bitterness or acicity, but it's not as he's taken to pouring vinegar over everything else with great gusto. Any suggestions (not carrot sculptures, which they are not interested in at all, not funny faces. They are not thick enough to be fooled by all that (I have tried, but won't again)

Both my dc's are really bad at eating protein. Dd (5) will eat Richmond sausages, fishfingers and baked beans. Ds (2) only eats fishfingers. They both love peanut butter, especially on rice cakes for ds. They both like potatoes and some veg but not fruit. Please help I'm very worried ds will starve if he goes off fish fingers.

My children eat well, but I never know how much of each of the food types they should have.

For example - 5 a day - just how big is a toddler sized portion? 1/4 apple, 1/2 apple, 1 apple?

And what about proteins and carbohydrates? What sort of quantities would be right?

ilovespinach Wed 13-May-09 11:47:08

Hi Leslie,

I have 2 boys - the eldest is a very fussyeater so I'm another one who's interested in hearing your strategies.

My youngest is, on the whole, a good eater. He has gotten into the habit of refusing his evening meal though so he is just having toast and yoghurt as a stop-gap. Would appreciate suggestions on finger food I can leave out for him to pick up and snack on that's healthy and maybe includes some veg.

Thanks

Carmenere Wed 13-May-09 12:07:34

Hi Lesley,
Did you find it a struggle a one of the first female celebrity chefs? Were the blokes kind, patronising or hostile to you? And which of your colleagues do you rate?

BEAUTlFUL Wed 13-May-09 12:28:32

Hi Lesley, I love your recipes but could you please try not to get so stressed during the end bits on Ready, Steady Cook, as it makes me get tense just watching you. "Sieve that!" "No! Pile it on the big plate!" "Oh give that here, you inept minion, I'll do it myself" etc. shock Ask Haliborange to sort you out some soothing Vitamin B Complex. My nerves can't take much more.

lesleywaters Wed 13-May-09 12:45:58

Test

Amapoleon Wed 13-May-09 12:56:55

Hi and welcome to mumsnet! My question is much the same as the others. I have 2 kids, one aged 6 and one aged two, neither are very adventurous, so I'd just like some inspiration please.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 13-May-09 12:59:43

Hello. Just to let you know that Lesley Waters is here and flexing her typing fingers, ready to answer your questions.

Welcome, Lesley - please take it away!

lesleywaters Wed 13-May-09 13:02:39

Hi Mumsnetters - my quick typing fingers will attempt to get through all your questions. Here we go...

lesleywaters Wed 13-May-09 13:07:55

Hi TrinityIsLovingHerLittleRhino…this seems to be a common problem for these ages. The big tip is not to give up and to be patient (sorry) – they say that you need to introduce one new food at a time and that can take 8-10 attempts for a child to decide whether they like it. Try to serve the new foods with one of their trusted favourites – don’t make an issue, just serve and keep trying! I know it’s incredibly hard, but why not try serving in separate dishes. If the 9 year old has friend or family member who they admire and eats well, try serving a nutritious meal together so they can attempt new stuff. Hope any of this helps – I have my fingers crossed for you...

lesleywaters Wed 13-May-09 13:09:32

Enjoy the wine Moondog – cheers! Have a glass for me!!

lesleywaters Wed 13-May-09 13:10:55

Ok BernardsCat – I have one of those too! My son loves tomato pizza, but will not touch the real thing or even a lovely pasta sauce. Explain this to me? It’s a mystery!

lesleywaters Wed 13-May-09 13:14:53

Thanks for the question ProstetnicVogenJeltz! It must be tough, children can be difficult at the age 5, but when they get to 11 – you’ve really got your work cut out! Of course I’m going to say this, but truly believe that getting your DD involved not just in the cooking, but the choosing of the food/shopping and prepping - to spark interest, if she feels part of the full process and can own what she eats! Building on the roasted potatoes, mix with other similar options such as sweet pot, new pots (with skins), thick pot wedges, parsnips, carrots roasted in the oven with a splash of oilve oil. Also try a pot roast chicken with a bucket loads of veg and slow roast together. Get her to make her own pizzas using flatbreads, pitas or even naan breads, squash on cherry tomatoes with sweet corn and top with half fat mozerella. Although we need to encourage good cooking and healthy eating at home and beyond – NOTHING replaces a balanced, nutritious meal, especially at DD’s age!! A food supplement can act as safety net to support this…hope that’s of some help to you. All the best with it!

CMOTdibbler Wed 13-May-09 13:23:52

Tasty GF recipes for the more challenging things - pastry, bread, pizza. Please grin

lesleywaters Wed 13-May-09 13:24:04

CMOTdibbler – I’m with you on all the crazy children’s recipes! Absoultely right – we need to teach our children to cook proper food, without the smiley faces! Check out some of the recipes I created for the shiny school to give you a flavour of what you can created at home. PS – still working on the damned gluten-free pastry – haven’t quite cracked it yet!!

Rhubarb Wed 13-May-09 13:25:35

Hi Lesley. I'm having a real problem with my 5yo ds. We've brought both him and his sister up to eat healthily and whilst she does, he's a real struggle. He'll barely touch his packed lunches at school and always makes a fuss at teatime. He refuses to try anything new and even things I know he likes, he'll say he doesn't like them. He's only interested in sweet things and is always asking for snacks.
We refuse to give in but getting him to eat healthily is a real struggle. He'll happily help me at mealtimes but then he refuses to eat what he's helped me to make! However, put a cake in front of him and it's a different story.
I'm worried about the amount he doesn't eat. Have you any tips?

lesleywaters Wed 13-May-09 13:26:06

Hi CMOTdiddler, got a fab GF cake recipe, will post after the chat.

Carrying on from before how much protein does a child need?

lesleywaters Wed 13-May-09 13:27:26

Hello JulesJules, thanks for the question! Completely get the soup kitchen point – ha! Why don’t you serve recipes such as the stir fries in a ‘deconstructed’ way, using seperate little bowls of veg, noodles etc and let them help themselves. Pretty simple, but children really enjoy picking and controlling the portions themselves.

lesleywaters Wed 13-May-09 13:29:40

Porpoise, I have a super recipe for you - again, will post after web chat.

lesleywaters Wed 13-May-09 13:31:43

Hi squilly, this actually seems to be common issue within children of a certain age (see above). Why not adapt my carrot and beef mini meatball recipes (log onto shiny school for download)– as she already eats carrots, try substituting for another veg such as courgettes - it’s a sneaky way to ensure your DD receives of variety of vits. I really believe that now she’s 5 she can start helping you in the kitchen which is a great way to introduce new foods if she can help prepare them! Is she helping you bake muffins, cakes etc in the kitchen? This may explain why she’s recently started eating them?...

lesleywaters Wed 13-May-09 13:34:00

ilovesprouts, I think that homemade soups are a really good way to ensure that they receive all their vits and mins! Or serve up a smooth veg sauce on his spagetti? Gradually introduce chunkier textured flavours. From experience, this is something you DS will grow out of, so don't worry too much.

lesleywaters Wed 13-May-09 13:35:41

Carmenere, yes it was and is still tough sometimes. Some were kind, some patronising, but most of them were lovely! Really rate Brian Turner, Paul Rankin, Ainsley, James Tanner and Nick…

Cammelia Wed 13-May-09 13:36:07

Hi Lesley, I have a 12 year old dd. How important is it for this age group to eat lots of dairy/drink milk etc? I've heard that the adolescent age group need lots of calcium and iron.

Lulumama Wed 13-May-09 13:36:09

Does the way a child eats from the early days set a pattern for life, in terms of amounts they eat.. e.g my daughter had small amounts of milk from birth and now at nearly 4 still eats miniscule portions..is this how it is going to be forever??

CMOTdibbler Wed 13-May-09 13:36:29

Excellent ! Not that I need more gf cake recipes <lardy emoticon>

Interesting recipes - but wibble wobbles ? What came over you there ?

My DS loves cooking btw - it's just controlling a not yet 3 year old whilst stirring things on the hob is a bit nerve wracking. At least chopping is a hand over hand activity

lesleywaters Wed 13-May-09 13:36:58

Hello Beautiful – you’re right, but it’s bloody stressful!! The guys at Haliborange are sorting me out as I speak. Thanks for watching!!

JennyLovesRosie Wed 13-May-09 13:37:38

LOL anyone else working out who LW hasn't named and going hmmmmmm yes I always thought he was an arse. grin

Great thread.

lesleywaters Wed 13-May-09 13:45:06

Hi Rhubarb, many thanks for the question. I take my hat off to you, because you're doing all the right things! Apparently, children at this age can be very difficult about food. They can sometimes struggle to take on new textures and flavours, but always, they can see how far they can push the boundaries. Check that he's not filling up on snacks, but I would put it down to his age, stay firm and carry on doing what you're doing.

lesleywaters Wed 13-May-09 13:46:40

Hi Amapoleon, we got some great food on the Shiny School website, do have a look. Even though the recipes are broken down into different age categories, there’s loads for you to try on all the family. Getting inspiration for healthy family food does not only have to happen in kitchen. In the summer holidays, take the family out on a fruit picking trip show how strawberry, berries are grown. If you have a little outdoor space at home how about growing your own veg, potatoes, carrots and peas are good to start with or some lovely smelly herbs, cress so they can nurture themselves. Also, it gets them outdoors in the fresh air.

Amapoleon Wed 13-May-09 13:47:03

My dd is very fussy but she loves asparagus, have you got any recipes please?

Amapoleon Wed 13-May-09 13:47:40

Oops, sorry crossed posts.

lesleywaters Wed 13-May-09 13:49:24

Hello there Letswiggle, totally with you on the bloody carrot sculptures! Try mixing veg in pasta sauces, stews, curries, meat bakes, pies, fishcakes, soups rather than just serving as a separate portion. Also roasting potatoes, parsnips, peppers, squash in the oven with a little honey and olive oil to sweeten them up and make eating a little ‘sweeter’ and interesting. Re. fruit, why not try dry fruits such as apricots, raisins just as a snack or stirred into a yogurt and drizzled with honey...good luck!

Rhubarb Wed 13-May-09 13:50:54

Thanks Lesley. We have confirmed with the school that he isn't snacking and he certainly doesn't get snacks here unless it's fruit. I was just concerned that this has been going on for a while and when you consider that he's going through a school day on the edges of his sandwich and nothing else, and then eating a mouse portion of tea, you do worry.

But he does have a decent breakfast and we do keep pushing the fruit and veg. Dh is very mean and says he'll be small and chubby like my siblings! It is a worry that he's so intent on eating the wrong things whenever he can, I can just imagine him rebelling as he grows up and eating every kind of junk food you can imagine. <Sigh!>

Actually he did say he wants to be a chef when he grows up, I do hope he sets his sights higher than McDonalds!

muggglewump Wed 13-May-09 13:54:34

What would you particularly reccommend for a very small budget?
DD (7) is not fussy at all but I always worry my value range food will be bad nutrition-wise. Neither of us are hugely keen on pulses although we do eat them but is there anything you can suggest?

lesleywaters Wed 13-May-09 13:55:24

Hello ShannaraTiger, funnily enough I was talking to a friend with a similar problem as her DS only eats chicken nuggets and fish fingers - no fruit, veg or any nutritious food type. It’s lucky that your children are looking to the omega-3s and veg. One tip (if you have time) is to make your own fish fingers so you know exactly what’s in them. All you need is: chunky strips of fish, salmon, pollock, plaice, tossed in a beaten egg and rolled in fresh breadcrumbs. Place on a non-stick baking tray and spray over with a little olive or sun flower oil. Bake in a hot oven at 200 C or Gas 6 for around 8 minutes. Or go to the Shiny School website and see my ‘no fuss salmon fishcake’ tutorial. As far as the sausages go, why not try a veggie option that are high in protein and contain less salt/fat. My son also has an issue with eating fruit however, he loves to make his own smoothies when he arrives home from school (always hungry &#61514;). Great fruits to whiz together are soft fruits such as bananas, strawbs, canned fruits with natural juice with a splash of milk or natural/flavoured yoghurt – a handful of ice and hit the switch. This is something you can do together and experiment.

As far as how much of food type your DS needs, refer to the Food Standards Agency website however, I went to a children's healthy eating workshop and the expert said that the portion size should be the size of their palm - however, as I'm a chef, not a qualified nutitionist check the Food Standard Agency for a specific breakdown.

ilovesprouts Wed 13-May-09 13:55:30

thanks lesley ive posterd a few times on here and your the first one to answer my question

lesleywaters Wed 13-May-09 13:58:39

Hi Amapoleon, we'll posted an asaragus recipe at the end of the chat - more to follow in a fews mins...

lesleywaters Wed 13-May-09 14:01:57

Hi Rhuburb - if it's any consolation I was a terribly fussy eater at that your DS's age - a complete nightmare! I now obviously love food and eating so there's lots of hope for him yet...wish you all the best!

Thanks lesley I'll give them a try.

lesleywaters Wed 13-May-09 14:06:47

muggglewump, nice to hear from you! When buying meat and fish etc, my feeling is quality rather than quantity - pad this out with lots of seasonal ingredients that will be at their best and cheapest. Also futher extend with store cupboard ingredients such as pasta, rice and beans.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 13-May-09 14:10:29

Lesley's time is nearly up now, we're afraid. She's just going to post the recipes she was talking about before she leaves...

Fimbo Wed 13-May-09 14:11:57

Tell her to put the red bits back in her hair!

lesleywaters Wed 13-May-09 14:12:34

Thanks Fimbo!!

JulesJules Wed 13-May-09 14:14:12

Cheers, Lesley! Will have a go at deconstructed noodles! Thanks for replying, <mmwwahhh>

lesleywaters Wed 13-May-09 14:14:53

Hi CMOTdibbler, here's the recipe for the GF polenta cake. You can replace the lime with orange or lemon juice. PS - got any tips for GF pastry that behaves?

CRUSTED LIME POLENTA CAKE

SERVES 8-10

225g / 8oz unsalted butter
225g / 8oz caster sugar
3 eggs, beaten
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
225g / 8oz ground almonds
juice and zest 3 limes
115g / 4oz polenta flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
pinch salt
butter and flour for greasing

for the crust
juice of 2 limes
3 tablespoons caster sugar

1. Preheat the oven to 160 C / 325 F / Gas Mark 3. Butter and flour a 25cm/9 inch loose-bottom cake tin.

2. In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugar using an electric whisk until pale and light.

3. Gradually beat in the eggs. Stir in the vanilla extract and ground almonds.

4. Fold in the lime juice and zest, polenta, baking powder and salt.

5. Spoon into the prepared cake tin and bake for approximately 1 hour 15 minutes or until just set and golden brown.

6. Meanwhile mix together the ingredients for the lime crust in a bowl.

7. When the cake is cooked, prick well using a skewer and pour over the lime crust mix. Allow the cake to cool for 15 minutes in the tin.

8. Remove from the tin and serve still warm or allow to cool completely before slicing.

Serve with mascarpone or coconut ice cream

Fimbo Wed 13-May-09 14:16:21

Waitrose sell a devine lime and coconut ice-cream would be great with the receipe

muggglewump Wed 13-May-09 14:16:21

Thanks for answering Lesley.
I do that already but it's good to have it confirmed.

Rhubarb Wed 13-May-09 14:17:16

Many thanks for the reassurance Lesley! You have actually made me feel much better about it! smile

lesleywaters Wed 13-May-09 14:19:45

Hi Amapoleon, here's a great asparagus recipe - I like to roast or griddle the asparagus instead steaming. For a more child-friendly version, serve with scrambled or boiled eggs and replace bread soilders with aparagus tips to dunk...enjoy!!

SKILLET ASPARAGUS WITH POACHED EGG AND CHILLIED SPRING ONIONS

SERVES 4

450g (1lb) asparagus
3 tablespoons olive oil
½ bunch of spring onion, very finely shredded into strips
1 red chilli, de-seeded and cut into slivers
4 very fresh eggs
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar

Pre heat the oven to gas mark 6 /200C .Snap off the woody ends of the asparagus and toss with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.

Preheat a griddle pan. Add the asparagus to the pan and griddle for 1-2 minutes then transfer to a hot oven for a further 3-4 minutes or until just cooked. Meanwhile heat the remaining oil in a small pan. Add the spring onion and chilli and gently fry for 1-2 minutes until softened.

For the eggs, bring a shallow pan of water to the boil, add the vinegar. Crack each egg into a cup and gently tip into the water. Reduce the water to a simmer and poach the eggs for 2-3 minutes until just set (using a slotted spoon to bring the white together if necessary). Lift out the cooked eggs with a slotted spoon and rest the spoon briefly on kitchen paper.

Divide the asparagus spears between four plates and top with a poached egg , spoon over the chilli spring onions and serve at once. .

lesleywaters Wed 13-May-09 14:26:33

Hi Porpoise, these little muffins make great individual birthday cakes. Top with your smarties etc, but I think they look better fresh berries. Stick a candle in each so everyone get a chance to blow out a candle.

POPPY SEED AND LEMON MUFFINS

MAKES 12

225g self-raising flour
2 tsp baking powder
225g unsalted butter, softened
4 large eggs
225g caster sugar
3 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons blue poppy seeds
50g ground almonds
2 lemons, zest only, reserve 2tbsp lemon juice for topping

for the topping

reserved lemon juice
150g mascarpone cheese
100g cream cheese
4 tablespoons lemon curd
200g raspberries

1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C, 350F, Gas 4. Line 12 muffin moulds with cases.

2. Put the flour, baking powder, butter, eggs, sugar and milk in a food processor and mix well.

3. Add the poppy seeds, almonds and lemon zest and pulse the processor until mixed in well.

4. Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases, approximately ¾ full. Bake for 20-25 minutes until just firm. Cool for 5 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack and leave to cool completely.

5. To make the topping, mix the lemon juice, mascarpone, cream cheese and lemon curd together. Spread over the top of the muffins and decorate with the raspberries.

lesleywaters Wed 13-May-09 14:27:42

Thanks for all your questions and comments. I've tried to get through as many as possible. Over and out... Lesley

chipmonkey Wed 13-May-09 14:42:54

Lesley, I have a menu-planner book at the moment (Leanne Ely's Saving Dinner)which I find invaluable as it gives a shopping list of all the ingredients and recipes you will need for a week's dinners.

However I do find that it has 2 drawbacks. The first is that is is an American book so some ingredients can be hard to find and called different names from what we would call them .ie chickpeas = garbanzo beans.

The second is that a lot of the recipes are not baby or toddler-friendly or at least my one-year old is not terribly keen on jalapeno peppers.

Would you consider writing a book like that for families here with young children?

chipmonkey Wed 13-May-09 14:43:33

Ah, feck it! Must post faster!grin

Carmenere Wed 13-May-09 14:46:49

She was lovely wasn't she?smile

chipmonkey Wed 13-May-09 14:49:11

Really nice lady, very sensible too!

Frivol Wed 13-May-09 14:51:15

i liked her.

Amapoleon Wed 13-May-09 15:04:06

Thanks for the recipe! smile

ilovesprouts Wed 13-May-09 15:07:14

me too very nice lady

grandmabet Wed 13-May-09 16:30:38

I can't find the receipt for the scrummy lemon and poppyseed muffins?

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 13-May-09 16:42:34

grandmabet: it's posted earlier in the thread by Lesley at 14.26.33

MARGOsBeenDrinkingTea Wed 13-May-09 19:31:44

OOOOO Lesley, come back soon please!

squilly Wed 13-May-09 20:18:11

Thanks Lesley. Much appreciated.

grandmabet Thu 14-May-09 08:16:31

Thanks Helen

CMOTdibbler Thu 14-May-09 21:04:08

I had to go yesterday, but if Lesley is in contact, I was talking to someone who reliably informed me that the issue with gf pastry is that the flour can't take up water - you need to blend the flour with egg white to coat it, then rub in the fat, then add water. I can't vouch for this yet, apart from all of their gf baking being exquisite

Polenta cake looks divine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now