WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus one follow-up once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't moan if your question doesn't get answered. 4. Do be civil/polite. See full guidelines here.

Live webchat with Jacqueline Wilson, Tues 10 March, 9-10pm

(175 Posts)
GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 05-Mar-09 12:40:48

We've very chuffed that award-winning author Jacqueline Wilson is joining us for a live webchat on Tuesday 10 March, 9-10pm. Jacqueline needs little introduction - with sales of over 25 million books, she's a massively successful author, up there with JK Rowling and Dan Brown. Her latest book, My Secret Diary, is the sequel to Jacky Daydream and includes excerpts from her own teenage diary. If you've can't join us but have questions for Jacqueline, please post your questions here. Ditto if you want to post on behalf of your children. She'll aim to get through as many as possible before the chat.

fryalot Thu 05-Mar-09 12:47:19

oh fabbo!

well done MNHQ.

I will try to think of a really cool and important question, but if I can't (and let's face it, that's a very distinct possibility grin) can I just say that I think JW is faberooney!

ta

EllieG Thu 05-Mar-09 13:01:08

What she said! Won't know what to say, must think of good question....

Good work MNHQ!

cocolepew Thu 05-Mar-09 13:06:16

I took DD, a couple of years ago, to hear her give a talk in Belfast, it was very good smile.

I want to know where does she get her rings from, and was the magazine Jackie really named after her?

DD is a big fan.

ahundredtimes Thu 05-Mar-09 13:12:30

How exciting. I will be back with questions from my ds's. (DS1 ran the gamut of ridicule by reading 'pink, girls' books at school because he loved them so, he used to say 'well, who said they were girls books?' )

Actually, that's my question:

Do you think it's a shame that your books seem to be primarily targeted at girls or is that right, are they written for girls?

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 05-Mar-09 13:34:49

I was too hasty and forgot to add useful links to my OP blush So this is Jacqueline's website and you can get the second part of her memoirs - My Secret Diary - here.

FrannyandZooey Thu 05-Mar-09 15:28:13

oh blimey
am also a fan
will return later

GumsNRoses Thu 05-Mar-09 17:10:30

Dd is a massive fan, she would like to know what age you were when you first started writing, and are some of your characters based on people you know in real life, thank you from Abbie (12)

ahundredtimes Thu 05-Mar-09 19:29:48

Do you plan on doing any more Tracy Beaker books? (ds1, 11)

Which do you think is your worst book and why? (ds2, 9)

QOD Thu 05-Mar-09 20:11:02

More of a statement than a question - Jaccqueline, my 10 yr old daughter had not read a book before from choice. She would read a couple of pages of her school reader under duress.
She then received the Tracy Beaker trilogy for Christmas and read it voraciously. She has since read 2 more of your books and 5 other random books.
Thanks! Whatever you are doing, you are getting it right!

DanJARMouse Thu 05-Mar-09 20:14:10

WOW!!!

I heart JW. Met her when I was about yr7 at high school, she came into our school, did a talk and signed my books for me!

Cant wait til DD1 is a little older and can start reading JW books. The Suitcase Kid is still my fave!!!

No questions though ..... just dont give it up JW!!! x

roisin Thu 05-Mar-09 20:47:20

Hi Jacqueline! Reading, and encouraging children/young people to read, is my passion. I run two popular and successful reading clubs at secondary school, and constantly try and raise the profile of reading for pleasure. But students regularly get teased for coming to reading club or even admitting to being keen readers! It's such a shame. Do you think it's possible to make reading 'cool' amongst teenagers?

Most of my keenest readers are boys, rather than girls. Over-generalisation, but the girls tend to want to stick with one genre or even one author (guess who?) and are less willing to branch out and try something new. Why do you think this is?

FrannyandZooey Thu 05-Mar-09 21:19:50

well gosh I am excited about this
I have never actually got excited about a webchat before I don't think

Jacqueline, I would like to ask several questions - first, is Cam gay?

At the end of Clean Break, does the dad really come back? Can the family forgive him? Will it work out, or are they doomed to further troubles?

Do any of your characters haunt you? I feel particularly distressed by Mary and her mother in The Diamond Girls

In Midnight, it seems to me there are some S+M sexual undertones to Will's games. Was this deliberate?

finally, who is your favourite character from your books? I am quite taken with the saucy, curvy Miranda from Kiss at the moment I also love Beauty - her vulnerability is very charming

and really I would just like to gush about how wonderful I think your books are
I particularly like The Illustrated Mum, and Kiss
thank you very much

StewieGriffinsMom Thu 05-Mar-09 21:22:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pointydog Thu 05-Mar-09 21:41:08

Jacqueline WIlson, hello!

Do you think it is much harder to buy good books for boys these days or do you think boys (and their mums) have a more rigid idea about what a boys' book is?

pointydog Thu 05-Mar-09 21:42:03

will also ask dd2 (big fan) if she has a question.

Starbear Thu 05-Mar-09 23:30:48

Squonk 'fabbo' Have you been talking to my Ds he comes out with that one and we never say that in this house hmm

Starbear Thu 05-Mar-09 23:38:59

Jacqueline WIlson Hello, I've heard great things about your books from friends.
Q If books are then televised, do you think children would then not bother reading the book?
Q Do you think councils should design & maintain children's libraries with better buildings & resources than adults library?
Our local is being renovated but I fear it will just be a lick of paint.

unicorn Fri 06-Mar-09 20:41:01

DD (age9) has read all your books and has always been a fan but finds them depressing.
I know you deal with many important 'issues'
but aren't these issues too heavy for children?
Does childrens' literature really have to reflect real life? What about escapism? Fun?

You have said that as a society we expose kids to adult ideas before they are ready.
Do you accept any responsibility for your part in this?

SimpleAsABC Sat 07-Mar-09 18:48:51

Just wanted to say that i've always been a big fan and that one of the reasons I think this may have been is the presence of real life "issues" in the books. I'm 21 now, but can remember the day we got Vicky Angel into our secondary school library, I was there first to make sure I didn't have to wait a week for it!

Well done for tackling sensitive and important issues in a way which is accessible to children and adults alike.

iamnotimpressed Sat 07-Mar-09 19:39:58

Some of your books tackle fostering and care issues in a very understanding way. Were these issues important to you personally?
By the way, our six year old is called Lola Rose!

pointydog Sat 07-Mar-09 20:41:57

questions from dd2 (10):

1. What is your favourite book that you have writen?

2. What was your first ever prize?

My DD, Maya, (11) loves your books - she reads them in Japanese, and I read the English versions to her. Her absolute favourite is Lola Rose (waves to iamnotimpressed's DD). Her question for Jacqueline is "If you won the lottery (like in Lola Rose), what would you spend the money on?"
Thanks!!

fryalot Sun 08-Mar-09 09:03:33

starbear I always say "fabbo" or "fab" or some such variation grin

Perhaps your ds has been lurking on MN wink

I still haven't thought of a particularly good question, but I have one from dd1 (15)

She would like to know if you are planning to revisit any of your younger characters so we can see how they have grown up, perhaps into early adulthood?

Starbear Sun 08-Mar-09 10:09:57

Squonk We've started using fabbo too as we think it's so cute (no puke emotion when you need one!)

fryalot Sun 08-Mar-09 10:20:18

grin

Blondilocks Sun 08-Mar-09 19:21:11

Ooh how fab grin DD (aged 10) loves your books and was very excited to hear that you would be doing the mumsnet livechat.

She wanted to say/ask the following:

I loved the Cheltenham literary festival when I heard you talk about the new book Cookie and you said about "My Secret Diary" and I have been looking forward to reading it and now I can! I am very glad that I got Cookie signed- I will treasure it forever!

Are you going to publish more books about when you are growing up or have you already put all of that into the latest book?

Do you have any tips for people who want to be an author because I would really like to write books when I am older.

Thank-you.

JacquelineWilson Sun 08-Mar-09 20:30:30

testing

SimpleAsABC Sun 08-Mar-09 20:54:37

I must admit, i'm really quite excited about this!!

Another thing I remember from my Jacqueline Wilson days was being very pleased when the school library had two copies of Double Act. This meant my friend and I could read it "together".

cocolepew Mon 09-Mar-09 09:28:37

oh no! It's in the morning and I have a hospital appointment sad
Move it to lunchtime grin

erm, no its not.... 9-10 PM....
I won't be able to join in coz we are on the other side of the world, and it will be in the morning in Japan (6am..) and however fabbo JW is, I can't drag myself out of bed at that hour...

Squirrell Mon 09-Mar-09 14:04:01

We saw a production of Secrets at Polka theatre about 18 months ago, it was fantastic for both children and adults. Are there any plans for any more productions of your work on stage in the near future - please say yes! My daughter can't get enough of your books.

cocolepew Mon 09-Mar-09 15:29:36

Oh. So it is blush. Have to do a PTA thingie so still can't make it sad

bundle Mon 09-Mar-09 15:50:10

Jacqueline

My eldest daughter who's 8 and a half is reading a lot about Anne Frank and I understand you're a big fan too (it's the lovely book with all the family photos and reproductions of pages of her diary in it).

Last night my husband read the end of it with her and she was in tears and couldn't sleep, because of Anne's death - so I cuddled her and read the first chapter of What Katy Did (!!) to distract her.

Obviously I'll be doing more careful selection of bedtime reading tonight - but do you think that we expect too much of our children in terms of the subject matter they read about (her peers seem to be reading similar books)? We live in London, so life is a bit more complex than where I grew up in a quietish town in the northwest.

)Other recent favourites have been Tom's Midnight Garden, lots of your books smile, some Roald Dahl - though I've banned dh from getting a copy of the tearjerker, Froggy's Little Brother...)

MayorNaze Mon 09-Mar-09 16:36:45

Welcome to MN! Will think of a really deep and meaningful question before the chat but until then...

I am a huge fan of all the books (am waiting for Beauty --for me-- for ds on library reservation) but one thing that really bugged me about Midnight is that the dad is such a baddy - and is a Mason? On the whole freemasons are goodies, my dh is anyway!

sorry - couldn't not take the opportunity to say that but apart from that I am a big big fan...honest...

<<backs away bowing furiously>>

Pollyanna Mon 09-Mar-09 19:48:55

Hello Jacqueline, my dd1 (aged 8) has the following question:

when you were young what did you think were going to be when you were older?

ds1 (aged 10) would like to know where you get your ideas from?

I would like to know whether, in your opinion, an 8 year old can read all of your books. I must confess to not letting her read some as I think the subject matter is too "real" for her (she can read very well, but in my view her reading age is way above her emotional age)

Pollyanna Mon 09-Mar-09 19:51:14

oh another question from my children - what is your next book about and what was your first book?

(they have lots of questions!).

FrannyandZooey Tue 10-Mar-09 08:41:32

just getting myself back on the thread
gawd i must not forget tonight
<twittering excitedly>

JaneSeymour Tue 10-Mar-09 09:14:02

Just wanted to say Hi smile

Ds not too interested in books yet but I love Tracey Beaker.

Thanks smile

magsnags Tue 10-Mar-09 09:46:01

Hi
I just want to thankyou for the personalised message you kindly wrote to my dauter Abigail in the book Cookie - it was the hilight of her Christmas, in particular the kind comments you wrote about her own efforts at writing. Small things like this from someone like yourself mean so much to youngster's and can make a real difference in their lives. She was 10 last Tuesday and had a sleepover on Friday and the 4 of them were up very late discussing your books!
Fondest regards
Maggie (magsnags)

KingRolo Tue 10-Mar-09 09:48:27

I'm a fan too, have been since my own school days in the 80s and early 90s before you were fashionable!

This is my question:

In 'Love Lessons' you write about a relationship between a teacher and teenage student. It’s written from the girl’s perspective but it is clear that the teacher is tempted by her. As an adult reader I can see that Rax is an emotionally immature guy with a few (ahem) issues but I don't think I'd have seen it like that when I was 13. Do you think you are encouraging impressionable girls to believe that the teachers they have crushes on could really have feelings for them too? And if so, is this a good idea??

Thanks! I'm looking forward to reading 'My Secret Diary'. DD is too young for your books at the moment but I love them smile

UnquietDad Tue 10-Mar-09 09:49:31

I don't have a question, but I just want to say that DD has loved Jacqueline's books for ages, although she was unhappy with the ending of "Double Trouble", to the extent that she took the time to write an "extra page" giving it a happy ending...

Shitemum Tue 10-Mar-09 09:52:11

Posted on behalf of: traceycpn Tue 10-Mar-09 09:32:47

Hi jacqeline,
IM employed by the nhs. I work on the campus on the Isle Of Bute, children (ages 5-18). My role is as a counseller. Another aspect of my job is to prevent mental illness by "normalising" stress. I feel very strongly that the books you write, help these children to normalise the trauma in thir life. nick Sharratt has visited our school in the past, a beautiful wee island, just off the West coast of Scotland. Would you please come and present a book reading of your new book to them? You are inspirational to many of these children, we would pay your expenses, the school role is approx 1,000, a great oppertunity to see a fantastic part of Scotland and be the catylst for change in a young persons life.
Kind Regrds
Tracey Guy

teafortwo Tue 10-Mar-09 11:37:25

Hi Jacqueline,

Hey - You gave a great womans hour interview - it really helped me get through the washing up on Monday and go to work with a smile! grin - Thanks!

So... my question is...

I know a girl who unlike lots of 'tweenies' does not spend her days shopping, hanging out with mates or msning but her life seems to be an equal balance of delicious daydreaming, sailing away in a good book and writing wonderful stories.

...Perhaps this sounds familiar to you wink...? I know she found a fellow soul in 'Jackie Daydreamer' and your books mean a huge amount to her.

The girl I am telling you about is called Aneeka... do you have a message I can give, a fellow daydreamer, that will make her gush with delight and be rightfully proud of her thoughtful and careful reading ability, wonderful imagination and most beautiful writing skills?

Thank you for your time. smile

LittleSarah Tue 10-Mar-09 14:01:13

Hi Jacqueline

Great books, I shall be introducing my daughter to them soon!

I wonder if you could tell me what you think could be done to encourage reading (especially for those who maybe find it a struggle) and a love of reading? (Is it good to read a lot and so on...)

And, if you think reading (for pleasure) is important and if so why?

Thanks!

Sarah

CarrieMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 10-Mar-09 17:28:00

Hi there

We're all very excited both at MN towers and in my house so thanks so much for coming to talk to us. I'm just cross I won't be able to be there at 9pm tonight. So....

A couple of questions - the books all look much the same with the great Nick Sharratt drawings but the subject matter varies widely. Have you thought of having ratings - as you might get on DVD's or at least a bit more warning about subject matter ? My daughter always has your latest book on her wishlist, and has read most of them but I wish I'd read Kiss and Love Lessons before she did, and certainly before she started reading them out loud to Grandma! (she was 9 now 10). I know there's some blurb on the back, but it might be useful to have a - not suitable for younger readers sticker - or something on the book?

Basically, do you ever worry that some of your fans are exposed to some things too early because they just want to read all your books and not all are suitable for all age groups?

Sorry this isn't supposed to sound negative - we love your books. I would though urge parents to make sure they read them too, ideally before your child does (not always easy to wrestle it away I know). It's no hardship as they're a good read and it's useful to be able to talk through some of the issues they raise, having read them.

Thanks again for coming on and keep the books coming!

MayorNaze Tue 10-Mar-09 18:07:01

dammit i cannot be around for The Chat but most trivially i would be very interested to know where do you get your rings? do you buy a new one every time you finish a book?!

also:

(boring question, but i would be interested to know!)are any of your characters or plots inspired by real life people or events?

would you consider writing another tracy beaker book to include more of the tv characters ie bouncer, lol etc? (ds wants to know that!)

i will now gush like a loon and say that i really do love your books and find them very refreshing among what i consider to be quite a futuristic/fantasy dominated childrens lit market. in my very humble opinion.

i will now again retreat from the thread bowing reverently and cursing the fact that real life is preventing me from returning later.

thank you and best wishes for the future

EffiePerine Tue 10-Mar-09 18:09:04

Do you ever get depressed when people (i.e. parents) disapprove of your books? Or are you secretly pleased?

keevamum Tue 10-Mar-09 18:13:11

Hi JW. My DD is a massive fan. She is 8 years old and we have met you in a Basildon school once as well as recntly at a book signing in Maidstone. My DD has read all of your books and her greatest dream is to become a writer. Do you have any advice to a young child on how best to get involved in writing? She has put forward her idea to her school for a school newspaper but they haven't been too keen to help her get one started...are there any other ideas she can pursue? Once my DD is older do you recommend a degree in journalism or more practical experience?
Thanks a lot Keevamum

madwomanintheattic Tue 10-Mar-09 19:51:20

hi jacqueline,

sort of similar to unicorn's question i'm afraid...

i will confess blush to having asked freereading 7yo dd1's teacher not to give her jw books, as (at the time) they did seem to contain an awful lot of information that i felt (in her cocooned middle class two parent family life) wasn't necessary to introduce at that point blush...

this was two years ago and she has since devoured most of your books and the entire harry potter series, as well as anything else she can get her hands on, and seems remarkably unscathed grin.

i was just wondering whether you would have tried to change my mind about 7yo dd? Do you think there is a minimum age for your books? Do you think it depends on family circumstances, or should we be introducing younger children who are not personally affected to these sorts of issues? i'm still in two minds about it all, although obviously we are now past the 'decision point'... you're probably bored with being asked this... sorry!

<maybe i just wanted to get the confession off my chest...>

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 10-Mar-09 20:06:42

Jacqueline has answered a big wodge of your questions in advance, so I'm posting these now to give everyone a chance to look through before the discussion starts at 9pm.

cocolepew: I want to know where does Jacqueline get her rings from, and was the magazine Jackie really named after her? DD is a big fan.
Jacqueline: Hi cocolepew, I'm so glad you like my rings - they all come from a wonderful shop called The Great Frog in Ganton St in the West End.

ahundredtimes: How exciting. (DS1 ran the gamut of ridicule by reading 'pink, girls' books at school because he loved them so, he used to say 'well, who said they were girls books?' ) Actually, that's my question: do you think it's a shame that your books seem to be primarily targeted at girls or is that right, are they written for girls?
Jacqueline: Hi ahundredtimes. I feel my books are for anyone who wants to read them, male or female. However, my publishers always seem to want my jackets to be bright pink and I agree it's a bit off-putting for boys, and indeed some girls too. I've just published a fourth Tracy Beaker book, for Comic Relief. It's called Tracy Beaker's Thumping Heart, and Comic Relief gets £2 for every book that's sold.

GumsNRoses: Dd is a massive fan, she would like to know what age you were when you first started writing, and are some of your characters based on people you know in real life. Thank you from Abbie (12).
Jacqueline: Hello Abbie at gumsnroses. I started writing very small stories at six and seven. I make up all my characters (though obviously my two autobiographical books, Jacky Daydream, and My Secret Diary are about real people).

QOD: More of a statement than a question - Jaccqueline, my 10-year-old old daughter had not read a book before from choice. She would read a couple of pages of her school reader under duress. She then received the Tracy Beaker trilogy for Christmas and read it voraciously. She has since read two more of your books and five other random books. Thanks! Whatever you are doing, you are getting it right!
Jacqueline: Hi QOD, I am so pleased that your daughter enjoys reading now. It means so much to me to help introduce another child to the joys of reading! I try hard to make my books very easy to read, even though they might be about complex matters. The print on the page is clear, and Nick Sharratt's delightful illustrations help add interest to the page.

roisin: Hi Jacqueline! Reading, and encouraging children/young people to read, is my passion. I run two popular and successful reading clubs at secondary school, and constantly try and raise the profile of reading for pleasure. But students regularly get teased for coming to reading club or even admitting to being keen readers! It's such a shame. Do you think it's possible to make reading 'cool' amongst teenagers? Most of my keenest readers are boys, rather than girls. Over-generalisation, but the girls tend to want to stick with one genre or even one author (guess who?) and are less willing to branch out and try something new. Why do you think this is?
Jacqueline: Hello roisin. Good for you with the reading clubs! I know some girls get a bit 'locked-on' reading one particular author. I can't help being glad when it's me! However, I make frequent reference to other authors in my books and try to encourage some branching out.

FrannyandZooey: Jacqueline, I would like to ask several questions. First, is Cam gay? At the end of Clean Break, does the dad really come back? Can the family forgive him? Will it work out, or are they doomed to further troubles? Do any of your characters haunt you? I feel particularly distressed by Mary and her mother in The Diamond Girls In Midnight, it seems to me there are some S+M sexual undertones to Will's games. Was this deliberate? Finally, who is your favourite character from your books? I am quite taken with the saucy, curvy Miranda from Kiss at the moment I also love Beauty - her vulnerability is very charming. And really I would just like to gush about how wonderful I think your books are I particularly like The Illustrated Mum, and Kiss. Thank you very much
Jacqueline: Hi FrannyandZooey. Presumably you're a Sallinger fan...me too. Interesting questions. I don't spell things in my books. I like readers to make up their own minds. However, Cam could be gay: I certainly feel her friends are in The Dare Game. Dad DOES come back at the end of Clean Break - but I'm not entirely sure everything will end happily ever after. Will is a slightly sinister brother, but I'm not sure he's into S&M! My favourite character hasn't been published yet - she's a Victorian Foundling, called Hetty Feather. You'll be able to read about her in October.

Starbear: If books are then televised, do you think children would then not bother reading the book? Do you think councils should design and maintain children's libraries with better buildings and resources than adults library? Our local is being renovated but I fear it will just be a lick of paint.
Jacqueline: Hi Starbear. I think television adaptations frequently encourage children (and adults) to read the book. I wish libraries weren't so strapped for cash. So many great and dedicated children's librarians have been shunted out of their jobs, and the world is a poorer place.

Unicorn: DD (age9) has read all your books and has always been a fan but finds them depressing. I know you deal with many important 'issues'. But aren't these issues too heavy for children? Does childrens' literature really have to reflect real life? What about escapism? Fun? You have said that as a society we expose kids to adult ideas before they are ready. Do you accept any responsibility for your part in this?
Jacqueline: Dear unicorn, I appreciate your concern and I'm sad if your daughter finds my books depressing. I try very hard to make my books reassuring and even uplifting, though I agree several teenage titles could be seen as a little bleak. I have an enormous postbag from children, and over a hundred thousand members of my website send me emails. Many of these children confide their fears and worries, and frequently these are far more troubling than anything I could invent. I try hard to reassure children, and often stay up late writing postcards in response. I also hope I have a light touch in my books for younger readers and try to make the stories as lively and funny as possible. I hope I don't introduce children to 'adult' ideas before they are ready - but I suppose I can't please everybody all of the time.

SimpleAsABC: Just wanted to say that i've always been a big fan and that one of the reasons I think this may have been is the presence of real life "issues" in the books. I'm 21 now, but can remember the day we got Vicky Angel into our secondary school library, I was there first to make sure I didn't have to wait a week for it! Well done for tackling sensitive and important issues in a way which is accessible to children and adults alike.
Jacqueline: Dear SimpleasABC, your message means so much to me - I'm so pleased that enjoyed reading my books.

iamnotimpressed: Some of your books tackle fostering and care issues in a very understanding way. Were these issues important to you personally? By the way, our six year old is called Lola Rose!
Jacqueline: Hi, Iamnotimpressed. I don't have any direct experience of fostering or adopting, but since writing The Story of Tracy Beaker - many years ago - I have become involved with the Fostering Network and similar organisations and met many children in these circumstances. I think Lola Rose is a great name!

pointydog: questions from dd2 (10). 1. What is your favourite book that you have written? 2. What was your first ever prize?
Jacqueline: Hello pointydog. My favourite book is perhaps The Illustrated Mum. I think my first prize was The Children's Book Award organised by the Federation of Children's Book Groups, for The Suitcase Kid.

RoseOfTheOrient: My DD, Maya, (11) loves your books - she reads them in Japanese, and I read the English versions to her. Her absolute favourite is Lola Rose (waves to iamnotimpressed's DD). Her question for Jacqueline is "If you won the lottery (like in Lola Rose), what would you spend the money on?" Thanks!!
Jacqueline: Dear RoseOfThe Orient, I am so glad Maya likes Lola Rose. I wonder if she has found any difference between the English and Japanese versions - not something I can check! I have a lovely translator there though, called Yumiko Kikawe. If I won the lottery I'd be tempted to fund our children's libraries. So much money seems to go into IT now, rather than actual books.

Squonk: I have a question from dd1 (15). She would like to know if you are planning to revisit any of your younger characters so we can see how they have grown up, perhaps into early adulthood?
Jacqueline: Dear Squonk, and teenage daughter. I've already thought of doing this, I think it would be fun. I shall ponder.....I get a lot of letters on this topic. People are particularly keen to find out what happens next to the Diamond Girls.

TheButterflyEffect: My daughter loves your books. She was hoping to see you last year at the Edinburgh Book Festival and would like to know if there will be any opportunities to see you speak in the future.
Jacqueline: Hi ButterflyEffect. I was devastated when I had to cancel the Edinburgh Festival last summer, along with several other major festivals. This was because I was diagnosed with heart failure and had not long been out of hospital after an operation. I am feeling much better now, though I can't do quite as much - but will definitely be at the Edinburgh Festival this year, and hope to meet up with your daughter then.

Blondilocks: DD (aged 10) loves your books and was very excited to hear that you would be doing the mumsnet livechat. She wanted to say/ask the following: I loved the Cheltenham literary festival when I heard you talk about the new book Cookie and you said about My Secret Diary and I have been looking forward to reading it and now I can! I am very glad that I got Cookie signed - I will treasure it forever! Are you going to publish more books about when you are growing up or have you already put all of that into the latest book? Do you have any tips for people who want to be an author because I would really like to write books when I am older.
Jacqueline: Hi Blondilocks. I'm so glad your daughter liked Cookie. I've been thinking about writing a third volume of autobiography, but it won't be for a while yet.

Squirrell: We saw a production of Secrets at Polka theatre about 18 months ago, it was fantastic for both children and adults. Are there any plans for any more productions of your work on stage in the near future - please say yes! My daughter can't get enough of your books.
Jacqueline: Hello Squirrell. I was very happy with Vicky Ireland's adaptation of Secrets. I very much hope we will be able to work together in the future. It's exciting for an author to see their work transformed on stage - or on the television - I absolutely loved the TV film of Dustbin Baby shown just before Christmas.

bundle: My eldest daughter who's 8 and a half is reading a lot about Anne Frank and I understand you're a big fan too (it's the lovely book with all the family photos and reproductions of pages of her diary in it). Last night my husband read the end of it with her and she was in tears and couldn't sleep, because of Anne's death - so I cuddled her and read the first chapter of What Katy Did (!!) to distract her. Obviously I'll be doing more careful selection of bedtime reading tonight - but do you think that we expect too much of our children in terms of the subject matter they read about (her peers seem to be reading similar books)? We live in London, so life is a bit more complex than where I grew up in a quietish town in the north west.) Other recent favourites have been Tom's Midnight Garden, lots of your books smile, some Roald Dahl - though I've banned dh from getting a copy of the tearjerker, Froggy's Little Brother...)
Jacqueline: Hello bundle, it sounds as if you have a very sensitive and lovely daughter - though I think most eight year olds would find Anne Frank's story harrowing. It's difficult to give any guidelines about giving our children truthful information - they vary so in their responses. I think parents know best.

MayorNaze: Welcome to MN! Will think of a really deep and meaningful question before the chat but until then... I am a huge fan of all the books (am waiting for Beauty -- for me -- for ds on library reservation) but one thing that really bugged me about Midnight is that the dad is such a baddy - and is a Mason? On the whole freemasons are goodies, my dh is anyway! Sorry - couldn't not take the opportunity to say that but apart from that I am a big big fan...honest...
Jacqueline: Hello MayorNaze. The dad in Midnight is certainly a bit of a bully, though not all bad. Of course I don't think all masons, or indeed policemen, are baddies - just this particular fictional one!

Pollyanna: Hello Jacqueline, my dd1 (aged 8) has the following question: when you were young what did you think were going to be when you were older? ds1 (aged 10) would like to know where you get your ideas from? I would like to know whether, in your opinion, an 8 year old can read all of your books. I must confess to not letting her read some as I think the subject matter is too "real" for her (she can read very well, but in my view her reading age is way above her emotional age).
Jacqueline: Dear Pollyanna, please tell your daughters I wanted to be a writer from when I was six years old. I don't really know where I get my ideas from, they just seem to pop into my head. I feel some of my books might be a little disturbing for most eight year olds but it's very hard to generalise. I think Love Lessons and Kiss, for instance, are definitely for teenagers.

magsnags: I just want to thankyou for the personalised message you kindly wrote to my daughter Abigail in the book Cookie - it was the highlight of her Christmas, in particular the kind comments you wrote about her own efforts at writing. Small things like this from someone like yourself mean so much to youngsters and can make a real difference in their lives. She was 10 last Tuesday and had a sleepover on Friday and the 4 of them were up very late discussing your books!
Jacqueline: Hi magsnags. I'm so glad Abigail liked her book, and is enjoying writing!

KingRolo: In Love Lessons you write about a relationship between a teacher and teenage student. It’s written from the girl’s perspective but it is clear that the teacher is tempted by her. As an adult reader I can see that Rax is an emotionally immature guy with a few (ahem) issues but I don't think I'd have seen it like that when I was 13. Do you think you are encouraging impressionable girls to believe that the teachers they have crushes on could really have feelings for them too? And if so, is this a good idea??
Thanks! I'm looking forward to reading My Secret Diary. DD is too young for your books at the moment but I love them.
Jacqueline: Dear KingRolo - I appreciate your point about Love Lessons. I try to make it very clear in the book that Prudence is a very vulnerable girl and yes, Rax is in some ways intoxicated by her feelings for him - but I truly don't think it will encourage girls to believe that teachers might reciprocate their feelings. I've talked to lots of girls about Love Lessons and they certainly get engrossed in the story. Some are disappointed that Rax and Prue don't walk off into the sunset together. However they all shriek with derisive laughter at the idea of falling in love with any of their teachers!

UnquietDad: I don't have a question, but I just want to say that DD has loved Jacqueline's books for ages, although she was unhappy with the ending of Double Trouble, to the extent that she took the time to write an "extra page" giving it a happy ending...
Jacqueline: Hi UnquietDad, I wonder if you mean my book Double Act? I tried to give it a happy and satisfying ending, but obviously your daughter disagrees!

Shitemum: Posted on behalf of: traceycpn: I'm employed by the NHS. I work on the campus on the Isle Of Bute, children (ages 5-18). My role is as a counseller. Another aspect of my job is to prevent mental illness by "normalising" stress. I feel very strongly that the books you write, help these children to normalise the trauma in their life. Nick Sharratt has visited our school in the past, a beautiful wee island, just off the West coast of Scotland. Would you please come and present a book reading of your new book to them? You are inspirational to many of these children, we would pay your expenses, the school role is approx 1,000, a great oppertunity to see a fantastic part of Scotland and be the catalyst for change in a young person's life. Kind regards, Tracey
Jacqueline: Dear Tracey, it sounds as if you're doing a great job on the Isle of Bute. I know how beautiful it is - I once stayed for a week in Kilcartin (?) Bay. I wish I could come again, but I'm afraid my travelling days are largely over as I have heart failure and have to take it as easy as possible now.

EffiePerine Tue 10-Mar-09 20:13:57

Gosh, that's dedicated!

<waits impatiently for 9pm>

mum2JEG Tue 10-Mar-09 20:15:46

Hi
My daughter has read all of JW's books and re-reads them constantly; she actually reads them to the exclusion of other books and I wondered if JW could recommend some other books that she loves- unless she is willing to double her writing output as Eleanor can read a book in an hour!

AngeChica Tue 10-Mar-09 20:24:26

Hi Jacqueline

I read that you have recently branched out into teaching children's / creative writing at university level. Have you thought about publishing something on this subject?

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 10-Mar-09 20:27:25

We're starting this a bit earlier than billed because Jacqueline is raring to go - so she'll be online shortly after 8.30pm. Thank you again to Jacqueline for agreeing to come on

AngeChica Tue 10-Mar-09 20:29:45

PS Jacqueline - are you coming back to Seven Stories (The Centre for the Children's Book in Newcastle) soon?

Boco Tue 10-Mar-09 20:35:31

Hello

I was involved with the Scope project 'Putting Children in the Picture' trying to get illustrators and publishers to include more disabled children in mainstream children's books, and I met you at the exhibition last year when you had some very direct and interesting suggestions from a particularly passionate 12 year old with some ideas on this subject. Do you have any plans to write a main character with a disability? How can this be encouraged in children's fiction?

JacquelineWilson Tue 10-Mar-09 20:38:53

Hello Teafortwo, I'm glad you enjoyed my piece on Woman's Hour. I love the sound of Aneeka - she seems such a special girl. Perhaps I'll try to put an Aneeka in one of my books one day.

JacquelineWilson Tue 10-Mar-09 20:41:27

Hello LittleSarah, I think the best way to encourage reading is to read aloud to children, way past the age when they can read for themselves.

JacquelineWilson Tue 10-Mar-09 20:44:04

Hi Carriemumsnet, sorry you can't be with us! I do see your point - although my publishers do try hard to make it clear what each book is about. I think my older books are going to have a kind of rating system on the future.

JacquelineWilson Tue 10-Mar-09 20:45:17

Hello EffiePerine. I get a little upset if people don't like my books, but I know I can't please everyone.

mum2JEG Tue 10-Mar-09 20:48:38

hi Jacqueline
I love your books. right now i am on girls in tears . i was wondering if you have any books which you keep to yourself? please can you tell me if you are writing any new books and why do you have rings on every finger?how old are you? i love to go horse riding and can jump,tack up,untack,groom and gallop.I want to be a vet but if i cant be a vet, as I amnt very good at maths, then i would like to be a writer like you. The things you write about are interesting and relevant to children's lives; my parents divorced and i have a half sister and so my life is not simple but am happy and things always work out. i am studying hard to get into a brilliant boarding school- reading your books helps me with my english and is fun. please write back. eleanor ps i am allowed to stay up only because you are having this web chat

JacquelineWilson Tue 10-Mar-09 20:48:40

Dear Keevamum, it's great that your daughter is so keen to be a writer. I would encourage her just to write for fun at the moment. I was speaking to a journalist today, and we were both talking nostalgically about the stories we wrote as little girls. When you're an adult professional writer, you never have the opportunity to write completely unselfconsciously, you always have to remember your audience.

twoluvlykids Tue 10-Mar-09 20:49:29

Hi Jacqueline. My DD is a veery grown up 13 almost 14 yo, and feels she has outgrown your books - do you plan to write any for the "older" reader?

EffiePerine Tue 10-Mar-09 20:49:58

well I think it's a good thing that your books provoke strong responses. Always helpful for teens to have (good) books to read that their parents disapprove of

nametaken Tue 10-Mar-09 20:50:12

hi jacqueline, my dd Isobel aged 11, wants me to ask you which of your novels is the favourite.

EffiePerine Tue 10-Mar-09 20:51:22

oh and welcome! We're very pleased to have you (as you may have gathered)

Bigpants1 Tue 10-Mar-09 20:52:46

hiyah x out of all the books youve written, which one is your favourite and why? xx

JacquelineWilson Tue 10-Mar-09 20:52:53

Dear madwomanintheattic, I think it very much depends WHICH of my books are offered to seven year olds - I don't think some of my titles should be in a year three classroom.
Perhaps light hearted books like Cliffhanger, Sleepovers, The Mum-minder or Best Friends are the right sort of choice for this age.

ahundredtimes Tue 10-Mar-09 20:54:31

Am sorry to hear about your heart condition - hope you are feeling okay.
Thank you for answering my question.
DS1 said 'see, I KNEW they weren't just for girls' grin

magsnags Tue 10-Mar-09 20:55:33

Today my children's school had the author/actor Dennis Bond visiting and giving a talk, he told the children he was a great admirer of yours. It must make you feel immensly proud that you are admired not only by by generations of readers but by your peers as well?

AddisonMontgomerySheppard Tue 10-Mar-09 20:56:46

Hi Jacqueline

What do you make of the fact that you've been referred to as the UK's Judy Blume?

JacquelineWilson Tue 10-Mar-09 20:57:53

Hi Mum2JEG. I'm glad Eleanor likes reading my books. You will find there are references to other authors in most of my stories; in fact in Starring Tracy Beaker, Tracy is given ten paperback children's classics for her Christmas present. There's also a book about me, called Totally Jacqueline Wilson where I give a list of all my favourite children's books - too little room or time here!

Bigpants1 Tue 10-Mar-09 20:58:36

heyy xx what is your most funniest book u have ever wrote in your opinion?

PinkFairyDust Tue 10-Mar-09 20:59:15

I just wanted to say that your books got me into reading when i was little - and now i ahve such a passion for reading - i love it!

One of my charges disliked reading and would avoid it but i brought her in all of my books (which are very thumbed though!!!) which you wrote, and she has loved them and we always talk about them too - so i say a big thank you for the both of us! grin grin grin

JacquelineWilson Tue 10-Mar-09 20:59:37

Dear AngeChica - I don't think I'm scheduled for Newcastle this year - sorry!

ahundredtimes Tue 10-Mar-09 21:02:36

DS2's question: Dear Jacqueline Wilson, do children ever write and ask you to adopt them? Like children in a home or something?

sundew Tue 10-Mar-09 21:02:36

dear Jacqueline

My daughter (Jasmine - 8yo) is MASSIVELY into your books and just devours them!

She would like to know if you were good at literacy at school! She also wanted you to know how much she loves your books!

Dozymare Tue 10-Mar-09 21:03:20

Where do you take your inspiration from, and what are you reading at the moment grin

JacquelineWilson Tue 10-Mar-09 21:03:21

Hello Boco. I agree it would be great to write a book about a disabled child, and maybe I will do it one day. However, it doesn't quite work like this when you're a novelist - I have to have a character come alive in my head, desperate for me to write their story! I can't seem to write to order even if I want to.

FrannyandZooey Tue 10-Mar-09 21:04:00

oh blinking heck you started early!
thanks for reply - I like things left for me to make my mind up but then I like to know THE TRUTH

Tidey Tue 10-Mar-09 21:04:27

Hi there. Did you write some books about a character called Stevie Day?

Allottwant Tue 10-Mar-09 21:05:44

Dear Ms Wilson,
In suitcase kid, is the main character based on anyone in real life? Also my mum used to visit a children's home just like the one Tracy Beaker lives in as she was a Social Worker but she really doesn't like Elaine The Paine and says most Social Workers aren't like this!! Is Elaine based on anyone you know?
Thanks, Eleanor (aged 8)

abouteve Tue 10-Mar-09 21:06:17

Jacqueline, thank you for your books. The first book I bought for DD to read independently was one of yours. She has read many of yours since. She will remember it better than I. She was about 9 at the time. Since then she is an avid reader progressing through to adult books.

The great thing is how much she has influenced her friends and even at 15 they are still swopping books.

She was also an avid viewer of Tracy Beaker but has, of course, grown out and up with it.

Once again thank you and keep up the good work.

iamnotimpressed Tue 10-Mar-09 21:09:10

Jacueline, thank you for answering my question about experience of fostering and adoption.
As an adopted adult, you have helped me explain these issues in a child friendly way and you are an inspiration.
thank you.

JacquelineWilson Tue 10-Mar-09 21:09:27

Hi there Eleanor, on mum2JEG! I'm glad you've been allowed to stay up to write to me. I used to write little stories just for my daughter when she was small : these have never been published, they were just for us. I have a new book just out called My Secret Diary, about me at fourteen, and I've recently finished a Victorian book called Hetty Feather which I'm very excited about! I love wearing lots of rings.
I'm 63. Oh gosh, that sounds incredibly ancient....

JacquelineWilson Tue 10-Mar-09 21:13:38

Hello twoluvlykids. Your daughter might like to read My Secret Diary, even if it's just to raise an eyebrow at my fourteen year old self. I was very young for my age in lots of ways. But if she feels she's outgrown my books, that's fine -
there's a whole wonderful world of adult literature out there.

SimpleAsABC Tue 10-Mar-09 21:15:01

Jacqueline, thank you for replying to my post. I was kicking myself for having not asked a direct (or any sort of, for that matter) question when I started reading the early answers.. I'm made up!

Would also like to add that I work with children in residential care and have relatives in foster care too, i'd hope that books such as yours which highlight these issues and deal with some of the areas surrounding them will be a comfort and source of knowledge for these children too.

Constantlycooking Tue 10-Mar-09 21:15:10

Hi, just wanted to say I saw you at a book signing in North London and was very impressed with the way you chatted to each child - they all looked relaxed and must have felt that they had really met you.
my son (an avid reader) loves your books and they helped him through problems at school (he has Adhd).
Many thanks

JacquelineWilson Tue 10-Mar-09 21:15:51

Dear nametaken, tell Isobel that The illustrated Mum is my favourite book at the moment, but I might change my mind when Hetty Feather is published in October!

QOD Tue 10-Mar-09 21:16:10

Hi Jacqueline, thanks for answering my mum. Can you tell me why all your books are about girls with problems please?

from Jasmin (I'm 10)

I just prodded her out of bed to get her question from her! What a bad mum I am!
My daughter is a surrogate baby where the whole story went right! Do you think you would use a surrogacy in one of your books ever?

Bigpants1 Tue 10-Mar-09 21:17:57

Jacqueline what gave you the idia for tracy Beaker

abouteve Tue 10-Mar-09 21:18:29

Jacqueline, lol at your young 14 year old self. DD has read your secret diary. I'm pleased that at nearly 15 he is still swopping books and not boys!! (Although she is wise beyond her years in many other ways).

What's your advice in not rushing into growing up too quickly?

twoluvlykids Tue 10-Mar-09 21:19:38

OOOH thank you for replying - dd just looked over my shoulder and said "OH J W on MumsNet" and promptly looked up the name of your Grandmother (from Jacky Daydream) so maybe I'll give her "My Secret Diary".

(You don't look 63)

JacquelineWilson Tue 10-Mar-09 21:19:57

Dear magsnags, it was very kind of Dennis to say nice things about me. The children's book world is a very friendly, supportive group.

PinkFairyDust Tue 10-Mar-09 21:20:01

Not about books as much - but if you could do anything in the world, money no object, what would it be and why?

Thank youuu grin

abouteve Tue 10-Mar-09 21:20:25

she not he blush

mum2JEG Tue 10-Mar-09 21:20:55

thank you so much for answering me. you do look nice for 63 which is good and you must be happy about. It is my birthday in 3 weeks and I will be 10 and I will ask my mum to buy me the books you mention.
I may write some stories for my sister Georgiana- she is a complete menace. I was sad to hear about your heart but think you should take lots of rest so you can keep writing forever. will you be signing your new books in any bookshops near London/Herts-as my mummy says she will take me.
lots of love eleanor (number 1 fan)

foxinsocks Tue 10-Mar-09 21:21:00

Hi Jacqueline

My daughter has just read My Secret Diary. We are from your area and she was fascinated with the image of Bentalls 'just' being a store and we had a great time looking at all the photos! Think it was a lovely idea to write it. Are you planning on doing any others?

We saw you strolling around Hampton Court a fair few months ago. Am very sorry to hear about your heart condition.

JacquelineWilson Tue 10-Mar-09 21:22:57

Dear AddisonMontgomerySheppard - your name is longer than your question! I don't mind being called the UK's Judy Blume, though I don't think our books are necessarily similar.

keevamum Tue 10-Mar-09 21:25:07

Do you have to research your books first? E.G. If they are based in a foster home, did you go and visit any or are they all just from your imagination?

traceycpn Tue 10-Mar-09 21:25:22

Hello Jacquline,
So when are you coming to Bute? Lovley island, we will spoil you rotton, if you like jazz, come at the jazz festival and have a jazz picnic in the grounds of the castle.
kind regards
tracey guy

JacquelineWilson Tue 10-Mar-09 21:26:01

Hi PinkFairyDust - wonderful nickname. Thank you so much
for sharing your books, I'm glad they helped.

JacquelineWilson Tue 10-Mar-09 21:28:45

Dear ahundredtimes, I haven't had a child asking to be adopted themselves, but I did once have a social worker tentatively suggesting I might be able to offer a home to a twelve year old girl. I was very touched, but knew I couldn't make that permanent commitment. I so admire those who do.

traceycpn Tue 10-Mar-09 21:28:50

Your books help children from all walks of life. Has helped develop empathy im sure. Please come to Bute, you will love it here, its a stunning island, not too difficult to reach, just ask Nick Sharrett.
Me Again
Tracey Guy

Bigpants1 Tue 10-Mar-09 21:29:02

Dear jacqueline, my younger sister Millie would like to ask you how many brothers and sisters you have? smile

magsnags Tue 10-Mar-09 21:29:44

Sorry to jump in again! I do supportive lodgings (stepping stone between foster care and independant living) which is for youngsters 16 - 18, I currently have a 16 year old, and my first ever girl who arrived at 16 is about to turn 21 in a few weeks and now a mum herself (and a very good one at that!) I would like to say how true to life so many of your books are and how much in common between your stories and some of the lives of the youngsters we have/had with us. Reading your books (which I borrow when Abigail has read them) as well as my own background has helped me to understand some of the reason my youngsters behave in the way that they do, and I'm sure will help when I start training as a social worker.
Thankyou for joining on here - you are a star.
xx

JacquelineWilson Tue 10-Mar-09 21:30:54

Dear sundew and Jasmine, we called literacy 'English' when I was at school - and I was good at it. Just as well, because I was useless at maths and absolutely rubbish at games.

traceycpn Tue 10-Mar-09 21:31:04

Hi again,
will you be visiting Glasgow to promote your new book?
regards
tracey

PinkFairyDust Tue 10-Mar-09 21:31:19

Just remembered - i saw Sound of Music on the opening night in london - and i saw you getting the tube - but i was to shy to speak to you!blush so my Brother spoke to you and signed my leaflet from sound of music grin it will be something to show my charge tomorrow, she will like that grin Thanks!

traceycpn Tue 10-Mar-09 21:33:58

Emily has asked me to ask you, which books do you read now.
from emily Guy
aged 9

JacquelineWilson Tue 10-Mar-09 21:36:34

Dear dozymare, I'm not sure where I get my inspiration from, anywhere and everywhere! I'm currently reading Mr Toppit by Charles Elton, an adult literary novel...about a children's author. Before that, I was mostly reading Victorian books for research. I enjoyed George Gissing, though he had a very weird outlook on women. I also loved The Crimson Petal and the White, by Michel Faber - but took care not to read it on the train because a/ it weighs a ton, and b/ it's very explicit!

sundew Tue 10-Mar-09 21:36:48

Thank you very much Jacqueline - Jasmine will be thrilled when she wakes up tommorow. She has just finished Midnight so I imagine we will be off to the library this weekend to try and find one of your books she hasn't read.

I hope you keep in good health and write many more books to fire childrens love of reading. It really is a most amazing skill you have.

pointydog Tue 10-Mar-09 21:37:15

Jacqueline, do you have any say about how your books are marketed, in terms of some of them looking very girly on the front cover?

pointydog Tue 10-Mar-09 21:38:21

(and thanks for answering dd2's earlier questions smile)

JacquelineWilson Tue 10-Mar-09 21:38:22

Hi Tidey. I did indeed write four books about a tomboy teenage detective called Stevie Day.....though they've been out of print for many years now.

traceycpn Tue 10-Mar-09 21:39:22

Hi again,
do you have an agent?

Tidey Tue 10-Mar-09 21:40:20

Thank you so much for answering my question. I remember reading the Stevie Day books when I was about 12, and loved them but couldn't find any info on them on the internet. I was starting to think I'd imagined them. They should be reprinted, by the way, they were fab!

ahundredtimes Tue 10-Mar-09 21:40:23

(Thank you for answering, I will tell my son your answer. He may very well write to you and suggest he move in next week - ignore it, he does not live in a children's home, and is quite happy here (I think) but possibly has his eye on better things!)

JacquelineWilson Tue 10-Mar-09 21:42:47

Dear Eleanor at Allottwant, Andy in The Suitcase Kid is an invented character. However, her little lucky mascot Radish is based an old toy belonging to my daughter, Emma.
I'm so sorry Elaine the Pain seems a bit of a caricature - Tracy Beaker isn't very fair to her. I know lots of social workers, and I think they do a wonderful job.

Bigpants1 Tue 10-Mar-09 21:43:19

dear Jacqueline how old are you

Bigpants1 Tue 10-Mar-09 21:43:20

hey xx how do u like to relax when you're not writing?

millie aged 8 smile

Bigpants1 Tue 10-Mar-09 21:45:09

zak she is 63 and do not ask that angry

Bigpants1 Tue 10-Mar-09 21:47:28

ok

JacquelineWilson Tue 10-Mar-09 21:48:45

Hello Constantlycooking, thanks for your lovely remarks. it's always very hard to get the right balance at book signings. If there's a very long queue the families at the back can get very impatient and want me to hurry things up, but I also want to make every child feel that we've had a little conversation together. It does a mean a lot to me when I get to meet my readers. Say hi to your son for me - it's great he's a keen reader.

emmybel Tue 10-Mar-09 21:48:59

Hi Jacqueline
My daughter and I watched the TV adaptation of 'Dustbin Baby' at Christmas which we both thought was fantastic - a real tearjerker. Would you like to see more of your novels adapted for TV or a film? Which book do you think would make the best film?

noonki Tue 10-Mar-09 21:51:16

hi, thanks for coming on.

My stepson loved your books when he was younger but used to only read them in his bedroom because the covers were so girly. Is there anyway that the books could come out a bit more genderless.

I know it should matter but unfortuately to kids it can!

ps I loved the illustrated mum, I thought it was wonderfully insightful as to how children can love and be so angry and let down by a parent all in one.

JacquelineWilson Tue 10-Mar-09 21:52:03

Hi QOD and Jasmin. I LIKE writing about girls with problems - it's as simple as that! Interesting idea, I'll think about it.

Allottwant Tue 10-Mar-09 21:52:50

Thank u. Thanks as well for so many brilliant books and I can't wait to meet Hettie Feather! Love Eleanor x

Toffeepopple Tue 10-Mar-09 21:52:55

My six-year-old son just got his first ever chapter book home from school and it is one of yours (Mark Spark in the Dark).

He really enjoyed it, any suggestions of which titles of yours he should tackle next? When we go our local bookshops all we seem to see are pink fairy books on all the shelves and he gets a bit disheartened.

keevamum Tue 10-Mar-09 21:53:26

Can you give us a little summary of your next book? So I can tell my daughter...she gets so excited whenever you have a new book out. Thankyou so much.

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 10-Mar-09 21:53:45

It's almost time for the webchat to end - thank you very much jacqueline for answering so many questions this evening - we really appreciate it. Hope you've enjoyed it too.

JacquelineWilson Tue 10-Mar-09 21:54:45

Dear abouteve, your daughter sounds lovely. In the past I've tried to suggest it's not a good idea for kids to grow up too early - and I was shot down in flames in the press.....

noonki Tue 10-Mar-09 21:54:46

bye thank you for coming x

abouteve Tue 10-Mar-09 21:55:17

Agree about Dustbin Baby, very moving.

abouteve Tue 10-Mar-09 21:56:00

Oh thanks you she will be so chuffed you answered me. smile

QOD Tue 10-Mar-09 21:56:14

thanks Jacqueline, please let it end positively though LOL - we are very protective of our beloved babies!

FrannyandZooey Tue 10-Mar-09 21:57:43

thank you jacqueline!

JacquelineWilson Tue 10-Mar-09 21:57:58

Hello again Eleanor on mum2JEG. Is Hoddesdon in Herts? I'm there on 30th March....have a lovely birthday!

Bigpants1 Tue 10-Mar-09 22:00:52

are u still on

JacquelineWilson Tue 10-Mar-09 22:00:56

Hi foxinsocks, I'm so pleased your daughter likes My Secret Diary. Hampton Court is one of my favourite places -Kingston is a lovely area, isn't it.

JacquelineWilson Tue 10-Mar-09 22:03:06

Dear Bigpants1, I haven't ANY brothers or sisters. I wish I wasn't an only child!

Bigpants1 Tue 10-Mar-09 22:04:05

yes she is on

JacquelineWilson Tue 10-Mar-09 22:06:05

Hi again magsnags. I think it's wonderful there's such a thing as your supportive living scheme. It's easy for me to write about fictional children and teenagers, it's much much harder to work with real young people.

Bigpants1 Tue 10-Mar-09 22:06:51

i have 2 brothers and 3 sisters

Bigpants1 Tue 10-Mar-09 22:07:21

r lukky i have 2 sisters and 3 brothers and one of them has hdhd

JacquelineWilson Tue 10-Mar-09 22:09:03

Dear pointydog, I'm afraid I don't have that much say about the way my books are marketed. I agree that they do sometimes look very girly though Nick Sharratt's illustrations are always superb.

childminder90210 Tue 10-Mar-09 22:11:20

Hi jacqueline, my daughter is just starting to get into your boooks and loves them, we both like Mum Minder as I am a childminder and its very good. I think we w ill end up with your whole collection I too like to read them

Bigpants1 Tue 10-Mar-09 22:11:46

hey i click off it by mestake

Mercy Tue 10-Mar-09 22:12:30

I can't believe I missed this shock

I just wanted to say that Double Trouble was the first 'long' book my dd read alone at 6½ ish. It gave her the confidence to read longer chapter books. She's even finally got into Tracey Beaker! (she was scared of a rebellious character until recently, she's nearly 8 now. I'm sure you know why that is)

On a different note, I really admire your very individual look.

JacquelineWilson Tue 10-Mar-09 22:12:51

Dear emmybel, I was SO thrilled with Dustbin Baby, I couldn't have wished for a better tv adaptation. It's out on dvd now, apparently. I think Lola Rose might make a great film.

PinkFairyDust Tue 10-Mar-09 22:14:00

Nick Sharratts illustrations are amazing - and whenever i see them i think of your books - they go hand in hand!

Bigpants1 Tue 10-Mar-09 22:14:24

hello everyonee, ihss thu chat still on or has it finished now? xx

JacquelineWilson Tue 10-Mar-09 22:15:20

Hi noonki, I'm so touched your stepson read my books in the privacy of his own room, good for him. The Illustrated Mum is my own personal favourite and I loved the tv film starring Michelle Collins.

abouteve Tue 10-Mar-09 22:15:43

DD is sat with me now and she agrees that 'Lola Rose' would make a fantastic film.

All her friends loved 'Vicky Angel' when they were younger.

foxinsocks Tue 10-Mar-09 22:16:13

Yes, it is lovely. Hampton Court one of our favourite places too. My children love all the formal gardens and the statues. It's a perfect place for a good imagination I think!

snice Tue 10-Mar-09 22:17:04

Hello
If you're still reading could I second the suggestion of an age rating for your books.

I have regular rows with my 7 year old daughter in the library over borrowing some of your titles that I think are too old for her and usually end up having to speed read them before making a decision.

Am happy for her to read them when she's a little older but I feel some of the themes are too much for her even though she is a voracious(sp?) reader.

JacquelineWilson Tue 10-Mar-09 22:17:50

Hi toffeepopple, I'm glad your son enjoyed Mark Spark in the Dark. He might also like Mr Cool, and My Brother Bernadette. The Dinosaur's Packed Lunch is another...don't be deterred by the fairies!

snice Tue 10-Mar-09 22:18:08

Thats not how you spell it is it blush

Toffeepopple Tue 10-Mar-09 22:20:03

Thank you so much. I shall pass on your suggestions.

He'll be very excited to know the author herself has made them - how's that for reward after you've read your first ever chapter book from school!

Bigpants1 Tue 10-Mar-09 22:20:29

doo doo (random mesge)

JacquelineWilson Tue 10-Mar-09 22:23:36

Dear Geraldine and all you posters - it's been a pleasure, thank you for so many kind messages and interesting comments. Time for a glass of wine! Very best wishes, Jacqueline.

pointydog Tue 10-Mar-09 22:23:37

oh lola rose! I think that's the story cd we were listening to in the car while going on holiday and I had to stop it (domestic violence?). I was close to tears the whole time. I was developing a permanent sore throat and puffy eyes. The dds had to listen to it in their bedroom.

Some of teh emotion in your books is so hard-hitting, JW. And I don't mean that as a criticism.

Bigpants1 Tue 10-Mar-09 22:24:06

megan you tatail telling idiot

pointydog Tue 10-Mar-09 22:25:26

Last year, a reading group of mine read Buried Alive. AFter initial reservation, the boys enjoyed it just as much as the girls. It was great.

Bigpants1 Tue 10-Mar-09 22:25:44

Hello, my name is Megan, if you are reading the strangest comments it is because my younger brother and sister are on my mums username lol x we have such a big family, eight of us altogether, two with autism have you ever wrtten any stories about big families x love megan

magsnags Tue 10-Mar-09 22:26:47

Thankyou for taking the time to respond.
Look after yourself
XX

UnquietDad Tue 10-Mar-09 22:38:21

Thanks to JW and blush at getting her title wrong.

fryalot Tue 10-Mar-09 22:39:34

Jacqueline, thank you so much for taking the time to respond to previously posted questions.

I shall pass on your answer to dd1's question when she gets up in the morning.

Fab webchat, thoroughly enjoyed reading JW's comments.

What a nice lady grin

Dozymare Wed 11-Mar-09 07:22:56

Thank you so much for answering my question and that of other posters. Has been a really interesting thread and I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your answers! Cheers

KingRolo Wed 11-Mar-09 09:22:51

Thanks for answering my tricky question Jacqueline! This has been a great thread, I've enjoyed reading all the questions and responses.

More like this please MN!

SimpleAsABC Wed 11-Mar-09 18:43:10

I really enjoyed it too! Nice work mn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now