WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus one follow-up. 2. Keep your question brief. 3. Don't moan if your question doesn't get answered. 4. Do be civil/polite. More here.

Live Webchat with Lauren Laverne on Oxfam's Mother Appeal, Thursday 30 January 2 - 3PM

(80 Posts)
KateHMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 29-Jan-14 16:34:20

We're delighted to announce that the legendary Lauren Laverne will be joining us for a webchat on Thursday 30 January in support of Oxfam's new Mother Appeal, which hopes to raise over £10 million. Oxfam says, 'the appeal aims to celebrate mums around the world by giving them the lift they need to empower their families and change the future.' Keep your eyes peeled for more information about the campaign coming up on Mumsnet over the next few weeks or to find out how you can get involved, go to www.oxfam.org.uk/Mother-Appeal.

With a career spanning from 90s indie band Kenickie to broadcasting and journalism, Lauren has had a successful and varied on-screen career presenting TV shows from The Culture Show to Style on Trial and covering music events, including Glastonbury and The Mercury Prize. She now hosts a daily show on BBC 6 Music, is a fashion columnist for The Observer and a regular contributor for Red Magazine. We're very happy to welcome her to Mumsnet.

We hope you'll join us to talk about what we can do to help and support mothers worldwide, to lift them and their families out of poverty for good.

Thanks,
MNHQ

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 30-Jan-14 13:58:56

Can I ask a nosy question Lauren... I think I seen you say you use Mumsnet - are you a MN lurker or do you actually have a username and post (obviously not trying to out your username anything grin)

And congrats on the Oxfam campaign - it's a great cause and we're very happy to be involved.

Mignonette Thu 30-Jan-14 13:59:15

Calvin BISHOP. Not Harris. blush

mostlyharmless Thu 30-Jan-14 14:00:51

"Yes, of course!

HotCrossPun
Do you consider yourself a feminist?"

Excellent answer grin

LaurenLaverne Thu 30-Jan-14 14:01:56

teaandcustardcreams

Hi Lauren,

What's the best piece of advice your mum gave to you?

My Mam always gives the best advice (which is part of the reason I wanted to help Oxfam launch the Mother Appeal celebrating Mums) but the most useful advice was just BE NICE. Which doesn't mean being a pushover, or unambitious, but really means be kind and polite. It's also a lot more fun than being cool, edgy or in fact most other adjectives.

LaurenLaverne Thu 30-Jan-14 14:04:00

MickeyPB

Hi Lauren,

Do you think that motherhood has influenced the kinds of jobs that you've been approached for? I've seen you reading some CBeebies bedtime stories recently and I think I heard your dulcet tones narrating on Tee and Mo (who are amazing, by the way!). Do you enjoy doing this kind of work as much as your role as the nations favourite superstar DJ?

Thanks smile

I guess it has - or maybe that's just part of getting older...All I can say is I'm really enjoying the work I'm doing at the moment, so if being a Mam has helped bring that about I have yet another thing to be grateful for smile

LaurenLaverne Thu 30-Jan-14 14:06:24

JustineMumsnet

Can I ask a nosy question Lauren... I think I seen you say you use Mumsnet - are you a MN lurker or do you actually have a username and post (obviously not trying to out your username anything grin)

And congrats on the Oxfam campaign - it's a great cause and we're very happy to be involved.

I probably tweet and link back to threads more than I post, but I do post sometimes and found MN an invaluable resource when the boys were little. At 3am when they're up with a temperature you know there will be people who have been there and shrunk the t shirt up and posting. It is a GREAT site. (I have posted advice to other mums in these types of situs as well, which is a lovely thing to be able to do when you've come through it!)

LaurenLaverne Thu 30-Jan-14 14:07:03

BananaHammock23

Hi Lauren. Just wondering how you feel about the No More Page 3 campaign, and whether it's something you support?

Yes I do support it! I have tweeted in support already, I believe I may have referred to their campaign as 'the tits'.

Munxx Thu 30-Jan-14 14:09:40

Hello Lauren. I met you at a party in London in 1998 and you told me you liked my handbag. You made my week!

Anyway I wondered what music you and your children dance round the kitchen to? We have 6music on mostly and I am cultivating two mini indie kids!

Hey Lauren - very interested to see you supporting this campaign. Can I ask - why this one, specifically? What drew you to it? And its aims are so broad - do you think the goal is achievable?

LaurenLaverne Thu 30-Jan-14 14:10:06

hotcrossmums

Hi Lauren,
I love your show.... been a SAHM and a p/t student for the last 4 years so you have kept me company/ sane while I've (almost!) completed a diploma course and done all the chores involved with small kids!
Give us some of your favourite songs that celebrate motherhood.. which one best describes the dilemma of the modern mum? Which song would you play to raise awareness of this campaign? Who do you think in the music industry are good role models as mothers in that they manage a career and good parenting?
Thanks for all the good music!

Ooh this is a GREAT question (and thank you for listening!) it's an interesting time in the music as the scene is so diverse - people from all walks of life/age groups making music. There are TOO many great songs about motherhood to choose from but I think I'd say Etta James' 'Tell Mama' is my favourite because it's not actually ABOUT motherhood (or doing slightly cliched mum-as-saint thing). She IS the mama and she's sexy and cool and in control. And I like that!

hotcrossmums Thu 30-Jan-14 14:11:51

Good choice Lauren! Let's get Craig to play it on the funk and soul show next saturday (my second favourite show after yours of course!)

I just want to say that I love 6Music and really enjoy listening to you LL smile

kittykitty Thu 30-Jan-14 14:12:44

Just looking at the long list of things you do made me feel tired! So I'm intrigued to know what your work/life balance is like - do you think you've got it about right, or are you like the rest of us, desperately trying to do it all but feeling guilty at the same time for not being the perfect mum.

woeface Thu 30-Jan-14 14:12:47

Hello Lauren and thanks for coming on.
My question is about Twitter - I wondered whether you thought it's been a Good Thing for women?
On the one hand, the experience of Caroline Criado Perez etc, and hideous abusive misogyny.
On the other, it feels as though it's somehow easier to hear women's voices loud and clear on Twitter than anywhere else (apart from MN of course - why I love it so).

LaurenLaverne Thu 30-Jan-14 14:13:22

Crumblemum

Oh am I allowed another question.... What is Jimmy Carr actually like? Sometimes he really makes me laugh, other times ....

He's fantastic. He's extremely clever and interesting and also interested in other people (not ALWAYS the case with standups). I'm fascinated by the way he writes his jokes (punchline first!). I think it makes him quite an ambiguous character on-screen which is a very interesting idea. IRL he is straightforwardly lovely.

OmNom Thu 30-Jan-14 14:14:23

Hello

Just wondering what your experience of being a woman in the media/light entertainment has been, in terms of how men treat you, whether you think women are taken seriously and given the same opportunities as men, how you see older women's careers going (ageism and the like) and whether you think things are going in the right direction?

ChazMax Thu 30-Jan-14 14:15:24

Hi Lauren,
Great to have you on Mumsnet and really great that you're involved with Oxfam.
Can I ask, what's your favourite word and what's your least favourite word?
Thanks

JoFeline Thu 30-Jan-14 14:16:02

Hi Lauren,

I am about to become a Mum (due on Tuesday), I have always looked up to you as a role model since I was about 14 and had a massive Kenickie poster in my room. You seem to have a good work/life balance and this is something I really want to achieve, I would love to know your best piece of advice on how you keep that balance.

Jo

eggsandham Thu 30-Jan-14 14:16:12

Hi Lauren. Thanks for coming on here. I think I'm right in saying that I've seen you tweet quite a bit about politics - can I ask what you think of the coalition and whether you'd ever consider going into politics in some way?

UpOverAndOut Thu 30-Jan-14 14:16:33

Hi Lauren,

If you weren't working in radio/TV/writing/generally being wonderful, what do you think you'd be doing instead? Did you ever imagine yourself as something completely different?

LaurenLaverne Thu 30-Jan-14 14:16:42

Pamandeggs

Hi Lauren, sounds like a really good cause. What made you decide to get involved. I'm a busy mum too, how can I get involved?

It so is! All the details are on oxfam's site at www.oxfam.org.uk/mother-appeal. You can donate (cash or old stuff to your local Oxfam shop), get together with friends to hold a fundraising event, or shwop your used or unwanted clothes in M&S. Also - all the cash Oxfam raise (up to £5 million) will be matched by the UK government, which is pretty exciting. Good luck!

UpOverAndOut Thu 30-Jan-14 14:17:09

And if I can ask a cheeky second question... what's it like inside MNHQ? grin

DinnersAllWeek Thu 30-Jan-14 14:18:18

Hi Lauren,

So pleased you've come on to MN - totally made my week.

If you had to pin down the key points to being a celebratable mum, what would they be? please say feed them biscuits and don't iron anything

LaurenLaverne Thu 30-Jan-14 14:19:26

JoFeline

Hi Lauren,

I am about to become a Mum (due on Tuesday), I have always looked up to you as a role model since I was about 14 and had a massive Kenickie poster in my room. You seem to have a good work/life balance and this is something I really want to achieve, I would love to know your best piece of advice on how you keep that balance.

Jo

Gin, basically.

I'M KIDDING. I mean it's just one big juggle for everyone, I think. You just have to decide what matters to you and pursue that and be prepared to let other things go. I also try to be fully 'in the moment' (sorry for using that phrase, but) and focus on what I'm doing at any given time, because as a Mum you're always, ALWAYS not doing another thing that quite urgently needs doing. One of the tough aspects of the gig.

Good luck with your lovely baby! X

HereComesYourMam Thu 30-Jan-14 14:20:04

I have this image of you and Caitlin Moran and Grace Dent all round each other's houses on a regular basis necking wine and bitching about fellow celebs and out-quipping each other. Please tell me this really happens. And can I come.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now