MN WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus a follow-up question if appropriate, ie once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't be disappointed if your specific question doesn't get answered and do try not to keep posting "What about me?". 4. Do be civil/polite. See guidelines in full here.

Webchat with IDRIS ELBA: Thursday 19th December, 1-2pm

(350 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 17-Dec-13 17:00:34

We're delighted to end 2013 by welcoming Golden Globe winner Idris Elba to Mumsnet HQ on Thursday 19th December between 1.00 and 2.00pm to answer your questions.

Idris is best known for his portrayal of Russell 'Stringer' Bell in The Wire and later as Detective John Luther in BBC One's Luther. On January 3rd Idris is back on the big screen playing Nelson Mandela in the highly anticipated MANDELA LONG WALK TO FREEDOM for which he is has recently been nominated as ‘Best Actor’ for his portrayal of Mandela at the 2014 Golden Globes.

MANDELA was made with the full support and endorsement of Mr Mandela, the Nelson Mandela Foundation and the Nelson Mandela Centre of Memory. Mr Mandela entrusted his life story to South African producer Anant Singh in the face of fierce competition from the major international studios. Singh spent 16 years developing the film, teaming up with David Thompson and finally commencing principal photography of this UK-South African coproduction in May 2012.

Come and chat to Idris on Thursday at 1.00pm and to find out more about the new film and his other work. If you're unable to join us please post a question in advance to this thread.

MrsDeVere Thu 19-Dec-13 20:38:38

I have just come back from Sainburys with some Jammy Dodgers
<locks door>

DavidHarewoodsFloozy Thu 19-Dec-13 20:46:17

WHY and HOW did I miss this?

FFS, I just want to diiie.

fucks off to bed with packet of Jammie Dodgers

This should have a been a sticky in active.

And as for you lot, wanting to keep him for yourselves selfish fuckers.

YoDiggity Thu 19-Dec-13 21:21:02

Wasn't he lovely? So chatty. Like he really genuinely enjoyed it and had loads to say. He's gone up even higher in my estimations now.

Ledkr Thu 19-Dec-13 21:29:18

He's here with me now. Sat on my sofa eating mini stolen and watching paranormal witness.
<boshes another halucenagenic drug>

TensionWheelsCoolHeels Thu 19-Dec-13 21:32:40

He did rattle through loads of questions, MNHQ got their money's worth for sure.

Did I mention he answered my question and quoted me to make a joke? gringringrin I'm dining out on this for a good while to come. smile

caramelwaffle Thu 19-Dec-13 21:54:20

I don't think Dadsnet will be quiet for much longer - not when Pan managed to share this little nugget :

Pan Tue 17-Dec-13 21:44:49
"Idris - seeing you is like looking in a mirror" Twins

Loopytiles Thu 19-Dec-13 22:21:43

Good one MNHQ wine

Pan Thu 19-Dec-13 22:23:37

you're daaamn right.

<turns up coat collar, a la Shaft>

Choccyjules Thu 19-Dec-13 22:30:32

Was at work but heart all aflutter having now read the thread. Top man, he can come back!

Teladi Thu 19-Dec-13 22:39:09

What a nice guy!

tothesea Thu 19-Dec-13 23:19:27

Aw!!! Didn't know about this!! Handsome, intelligent, charming, funny, talented...what...a ..guy. Little bit more in love tonight!!!

MissMirandalovesSunshine Fri 20-Dec-13 00:03:16

My DH has been at an event tonight and met Mr Elba. I am so, so jealous...

CoolMama7 Fri 20-Dec-13 02:37:19

OMGoodness . . . I had to leave the chat, but thank you Idris for giving the shout out. Not sure I will like your character in your next flick but I will support you until the cows come home. Will be looking forward to Mi Mandela in the spring as well. Happy Holidays hun to you and yours.

YoDiggity Fri 20-Dec-13 05:54:22

I think those hugs and kisses at the end were especially for me. He didn't actually say so, but that's just because he didn't want to disappoint the rest of you.

YoDiggity Fri 20-Dec-13 09:43:53

http://www.marieclaire.co.uk/blogs/545017/idris-elba-we-re-obsessed-are-you.html

In case you are having withdrawal symptoms now he's gone.

YoDiggity Fri 20-Dec-13 09:44:36
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 20-Dec-13 13:18:37

We were given a few copies of Mandela (beautiful book of the film) which Idris kindly signed for us whilst he was at the Towers yesterday. Because it's the season of Good Will and all that we decided to randomly select one of the webchat attendees as winner of said book this morning. Congratulations..... Getorf who's name was chosen. We'll pm you with details and get the book off to you (sadly won't reach before Christmas but a lovely surprise for New Year). For those who are envy quickly sign up to follow @MumsnetTowers and @MumsnetBookclub and retweet as there's a comp launched to win a further 2 signed copies of the book.

VampireHamster Fri 20-Dec-13 13:32:49

Missed it sad

Mignonette Fri 20-Dec-13 13:36:26

Done.

ExcuseTypos Fri 20-Dec-13 13:39:20

Getorf, you lucky thing fgrin

ExcuseTypos Fri 20-Dec-13 13:40:03

I don't do twittersad

HRHwheezing Fri 20-Dec-13 15:37:24

Lucky cow!

There's a problem about Idris on bbc2 over Christmas , called king of speed. Sigh.

CestelloAnnunciation Fri 20-Dec-13 17:38:58

God I love him even more now

TamiDKennon Fri 20-Dec-13 23:08:16

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Dentur Tue 24-Dec-13 04:07:16

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now