WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus one follow-up once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't moan if your question doesn't get answered. 4. Do be civil/polite. See full guidelines here.

Webchat with hand-knit designer, yarn developer and author Debbie Bliss: Wednesday 4 December, 1-2pm

(98 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 03-Dec-13 15:38:16

Knit designer-extraordinaire and Mumsnetters' favourite DEBBIE BLISS is joining us tomorrow for a webchat between 1-2pm today (Wednesday 4 December).

Debbie is the best selling author of over 35 books on knitting design. After starting her career making and selling knitted plants to stores such as Liberty's she went on to become a freelance knitwear designer, and after collaborating on a number of books including Wild Knitting , which has recently attracted a cult following with young knitters, she produced her first solo publication with BABY KNITS which was an instant bestseller. As well as producing books, Debbie also has a magazine which was launched in 2008. Published twice a year The Debbie Bliss magazine includes fantastic fashion knits garments for babies and children and also pieces for the home.

Twelve years ago Debbie launched her own brand of yarns and she's now involved not only in designing but in the research and development of new yarns. They are highly recommended by the Woolly Huggers and Debbie has been very supportive of their cause.

Join Debbie for a chat at lunchtime today and post pics up of your own knitting and crocheting creations before Friday 6 December, 10am. Debbie will help us to pick our favourite 3 pictures and the winners will each get a copy of Debbie's book Knits for you and your home.

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 06-Dec-13 22:06:00

Faint and from far way....

Debbbbiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeee

MrsDeVere Thu 05-Dec-13 16:14:29

A forlorn figure searching the streets of The Village (yes we do so TOO have a Village) , crochet hook in hand....

Deeeeebbbbbbiiiiieeeeeeee......

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 05-Dec-13 15:59:59

I can still hear, caught on the wind, the cry of MrsDV

<Debbbbiieeeeee, Debbbbbieeeeeeee, Debbbbbbbbbieeeeee>

BobbiBAguiar Thu 05-Dec-13 10:36:01

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

KnottyLocks Thu 05-Dec-13 08:17:32

MrsDV last seen wandering the streets of Wathamstow yelling 'Debbie? DEBBIEEeeeeee!'

KnitActually Wed 04-Dec-13 21:14:31

How did I miss this!? <miserable>

MrsDeVere Wed 04-Dec-13 16:25:21

Debbie!!!
<waves>

Are you still there???

I live in Walthamstow!

Thats it really blush

GoodKingWencesLACK Wed 04-Dec-13 15:15:34

oh, I can answer my own question; it's a sport weight rather than true DK!

Will still be OK for my hats and stuff though as I make em up as I go along and adjust gauge accordingly.

GoodKingWencesLACK Wed 04-Dec-13 15:13:58

Gentle Otter, I use bamboo dpns for cabling. The bamboo holds the yarn in place a bit better than slippery steel.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the DK cashmerino and the baby cashmerino and why the baby isn't recommended for the Woolly Hugs?

Yes - a bit like a wobbly W.

GentleOtter Wed 04-Dec-13 14:25:53

fgrin It is sort of like a wobbly W? I ended up using a small stitch holder nappy pin then realised cable was maybe for Another Day. Cable from the back was being the difficult one and increasing stitches.
<knitting fail>

Blimey - that post didn't go well, did it! fblush

There are cable needles this shape too - V (straight, then a v shaped dip, then straight - in case my pic wasn't very clear fblush]) - I probably have a couple spare somewhere, if you'd like me to post them to you?

GentleOtter Wed 04-Dec-13 14:11:24

Thank you, SDTG!
I was trying cable with a huge set of needles - big wooden 10s I think and a double point needle for the cable. It all went pear shaped.

You do need a fairly unexciting pattern, if you are watching RHONooJoisey, that is true. fgrin

GentleOtter - I don't know where it came from, but my friend has a cable needle that bends back on itself, so the cable stitches don't fall off it. Would you like me to try to find out where it came from?

DebbieBliss Wed 04-Dec-13 14:07:23

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius

Can I recommend The Real Housewives of New Joisey Jersey, as alternative knitting-tv?

But then I can't concentrate on my knitting because of the fights!!

GentleOtter Wed 04-Dec-13 14:07:10

Thank you!

<switches on The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills> fgrin

I forget to breathe and have ended up using my toes to catch the needles when trying to cable for the first time.

DebbieBliss Wed 04-Dec-13 14:06:04

It's been a fantastic experience to come into the MNHQ and meet all the fabulous people here and to get the chance to chat with you all. Wooly Huggers keep up the great work!

Can I recommend The Real Housewives of New Joisey Jersey, as alternative knitting-tv?

DebbieBliss Wed 04-Dec-13 14:04:01

GentleOtter

<sneaks in second question>

One thing has always baffled me when I watch my aunties knit. They can knit, watch tv, talk and everything. I have to watch every single stitch.
How do you knit without looking?
Also, is there a knack to speedy knitting?

Obviously you need to watch The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, so it's important to knit blind. Serious note - I have found that knitters who hold their needles like a pen, like I do, tend to be faster knitters.

Lace would be lovely, Debbie. Thank you - and sorry for being so needy!

DebbieBliss Wed 04-Dec-13 14:01:23

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius

Hello Debbie - what a treat to see you here on MN!

My question is this - I have four skeins of Debbie Bliss Andes yarn, in a dark rose pink and a lighter pink (two of each). What would you suggest that I could do with them (other than just stroking them and luxuriating in their softness!!)?

Although I am delighted to hear that you enjoy stroking my yarn, I can see that you would probably prefer to knit a project. How about the obvious, which would be a scarf, or maybe a chevron lace, alternating the light and dark pink.

DebbieBliss Wed 04-Dec-13 13:59:53

HopAlongOnItsOnlyChristmas

Another question if it's OK MNHQ? Do you ever get knitted gifts? Or do you think people are a bit nervous to give you something they have made?

Actually I have never thought of that before. I have never been given a knitted present! <sighs>

I know I shouldn't - but please, please answer my question. <<pleads>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now