WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus one follow-up once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't moan if your question doesn't get answered. 4. Do be civil/polite. See full guidelines here.

GOK WAN: Live Webchat - Friday 11 October, 1.45-2.45pm

(523 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 09-Oct-13 14:41:01

We'll still be sweeping up the biscuit crumbs left from the Jennifer Saunders webchat as we prepare for the return of Gok Wan to Mumsnet Towers on Friday 11 October at 1.45pm. Since his last visit in Summer 2010, Gok has produced 2 cookery books and his latest, Gok's Wok is published this week.

Gok shares many of his family's traditional recipes but gives them a modern twist as he teaches us how to cook, simple, fast meals with flavour and a splash of Gok originality. Chapters cover all occasions from lunches to dinner parties and include curries, stir-fries, noodles, salads, soups and desserts.

Join Gok on Friday at 1.45pm or post a question to him in advance to this thead and you'll be entered into a draw to win a SIGNED copy of Gok's Wok.

We have also teamed up with Gok and Sainsbury's to host a live cookalong on Google+. On Wednesday 16 October at 7pm Gok will be making two super-delicious dishes from his new book and he'd love you to join him in cooking them. Find out more here.

midwifeandmum Fri 11-Oct-13 14:22:11

Thanx Hully lol grin

LeStewpot Fri 11-Oct-13 14:22:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hullygully Fri 11-Oct-13 14:22:44

I want to be a Dolly Chop Girlfriend.

But not if vanilla spanking is involved.

MardyBra Fri 11-Oct-13 14:22:54

midwife You just need to get your kit off and parade around in a shopping centre. It seems to work for most girlfriends.

TunipTheUnconquerable Fri 11-Oct-13 14:23:29

In future years people will look back on Spanx and high heels in exactly the same way as we look at whalebone corsets and footbinding.

I can't wait, frankly.

midwifeandmum Fri 11-Oct-13 14:23:32

Propositioning kevin mccloud --- cant stop laughing mardy

GokWan Fri 11-Oct-13 14:23:36

FacebookWanker

If it has to be food related please can I have a recipe based on cauliflower and broccoli other than cauliflower cheese. These are her two favourite vegetables.

Thanks Gok

Hi Doll...

In the book is a great recipe for Broccoli and Sesame Oil soup. It's delicious! (chillies optional) I am cooking at the Mumsnet cookalong... tune in and cook it with me!

See you there I hope,

x

This is actually getting to be quite sad and depressing.

I think probably all of us do get fed up with our bodies, because we're human and female and live in a world that judges women's bodies pretty harshly. But it would be so lovely if that wasn't constantly reinforced.

It's International Girls' Day today. We've just seen Malala Yousafzai narrowly lose out on a Nobel at age 16.

It does seem a bit of a painful contrast between that, and this thread.

ZingDollyChops Fri 11-Oct-13 14:24:29

HullyDollyChops has a great ring to it!
I'd NC quickly if I were you!

GokWan Fri 11-Oct-13 14:24:39

merlin

It's an oldie but a goldie!

What's your favourite biscuit Gok?

(Mines a Jammie Dodge

PS. How do I stop eating them?!!!!

I love a good old fashion custard cream! I quite like homemade ones too!

x

MarmaladeBatkins Fri 11-Oct-13 14:24:47

Twenty short minutes left, Gok.

Are you going to try and address any of the serious questions?

smile

ouchmyfanjo Fri 11-Oct-13 14:24:56

Bloody hell. Can't people lay off. You only have to look at the style and beauty threads on here to see that people want to hide or minimise what they are uncomfortable with and accentuate features they like.
I am sure that any of the women Gok has helped would say they felt positive.
Maybe in an ideal world nobody would care what anyone else looked put but that isn't reality or human nature. I for one feel more confident when I have made a bit of effort. The effort is for me and no one else.
Apologies for long thread but there needs to be a bit of balance.

RippingYarns Fri 11-Oct-13 14:25:11

Vanilla spanx

Has anyone got the recipe for those?

MardyBra Fri 11-Oct-13 14:25:28

Great post LRD.

OddSockMonster Fri 11-Oct-13 14:25:37

I still have no idea what spanx are.

I thought it was someone from Masterchef that was the spanker, Hulls? Not GW, he;s a grabber?

midwifeandmum Fri 11-Oct-13 14:25:50

I see many womens bodies each day (sounds quite funny) as a midwife i never find any womans body horrible, just my own. Nothing a bit of nip and tuck wont fix when ibwin the lottery (hides head incase it gets slapped by evetyone) lol x

GokWan Fri 11-Oct-13 14:26:06

TiredyCustards

Facebook when I was little my favourite meal was broccoli pancakes - wrap cooked broccoli in savoury pancakes, cover in white sauce + cheese and crisp up in the oven.

Gok - what's your favourite vegetarian recipe?

Hi Love,

I think my favourite Veg recipe is Tofu and bean hot pot... my dad's is best! Super healthy and really tasty!

x

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 11-Oct-13 14:26:22

<does a small but tremendously impactful dance across the thread>

1. One question per member plus a follow-up question if appropriate, ie once you've had a response.

2. Keep your question brief

3. Don't be disappointed if your specific question doesn't get answered and do try not to keep posting "What about me?".

4. Do be civil/polite.

flowers cake

LeStewpot Fri 11-Oct-13 14:26:27

MardyBra Fri 11-Oct-13 14:26:48

The problem is ouch is that Gok wants us to love our bodies AND truss them up to conform to a stereotype at the same time.

Thanks gok! Mwah!! smile

MarmaladeBatkins Fri 11-Oct-13 14:26:57

"Bloody hell. Can't people lay off. You only have to look at the style and beauty threads on here to see that people want to hide or minimise what they are uncomfortable with and accentuate features they like."

Only because we're constantly spoonfed bullshit about how offensive our baby tummies/bingo wings are. smile

ZingDollyChops Fri 11-Oct-13 14:27:04

Merlin Happy birthday last week! (sorry)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now