WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus one follow-up once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't moan if your question doesn't get answered. 4. Do be civil/polite. See full guidelines here.

Jennifer Saunders: Live webchat, Thursday 10 October, 12.15-1.15pm

(174 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 07-Oct-13 17:30:18

Jennifer Saunders is joining us this Thursday (10 October) between 12.15 and 1.15 pm to tell us about her memoir: Bonkers, My Life in Laughs.

Jennifer has been making us laugh since the early 80's; from Comic Strip through to French and Saunders, to the universally acclaimed Ab Fab with plenty of hilarious sketches thrown in (remember Comic Relief's take on Mama Mia?). We're delighted that we've been allowed access to some of the fabulous pics from the book which you can now see in our Gallery: The Many Faces of Jennifer Saunders.

Join us at 12.15 on Thursday to speak to Jennifer LIVE or if you're unable to make that time, post a question to her in advance on this thread.

PrivatePeaceful Wed 09-Oct-13 10:12:58

I would love to see a Girls On Top modern day reunion, what are the chances?

OddSockMonster Wed 09-Oct-13 10:47:27

Hello, my question is...

Who would you like to play you in a film of your life?

Shootingatpigeons Wed 09-Oct-13 11:54:20

What gigs asked? In particular the suggestion that people might enjoy wearing Cancer like a badge. It is the badge no one wants surely? As others have commented you coped with your Breast cancer your way, I coped with mine a different way, personally I find all the "pink" stuff patronising and frustrating, but don't you think you should respect others for coping with their Cancer in whatever works best for them, not how others think they should cope?

johnworf Wed 09-Oct-13 15:05:59

Hi Jennifer, what's in the pipeline for you (and Dawn, dare I dream of you together again?)

Hope to see you back on our screens v v v soon.

xx

IshefromGabon Wed 09-Oct-13 21:46:19

Hi Jennifer. I wish you well with your book. I'm getting it in hard book and audio disk. My question is; do you see yourself acting in dramas or films playing straight roles in the future? I watched you play Lady Hester Stanhope and thought you were excellent in that role. I personally hope you continue with comedy as you are wonderful and it really brightens my day watching a half hour or an hour of one of you shows.

Cammelia Wed 09-Oct-13 23:40:05

Jennifer I saw you at the de la warr pavilion in Bexhill last night - you were fabulous smile

Reenypip Thu 10-Oct-13 02:07:34

Will you ever go on tour again with dawn French?
Or is it definitely over?
We loved French and Saunders live.

Mirage Thu 10-Oct-13 08:19:27

Both my girls are keen riders and I showed them the 'Peter Pan ' sketch on Youtube,which they absolutely loved.grin

Do you still ride,and what is your favourite discipline?

SandWitch Thu 10-Oct-13 09:06:02

Hello Jennifer,
Really excited that you are answering questions today but gutted that I will be in a meeting from 12.00 to 14.00 so will miss you confused

I was just wondering how it felt when the critics panned Viva Forever and what you might have done differently? I took my 8 year old Spice Girls obsessed daughter to see the show in its last week and we both loved it. It was very 'Ab Fab' and all those around me seemed to be having a great time too. The critics just didn't seem to 'get it' which kind of set it up for failure before it began.

One last thing...It's my birthday today - any chance of sharing your favourite joke?

Theyremybiscuits Thu 10-Oct-13 09:29:09

Hello lovely Jennifer!

Thank you for giving me plenty of laughs over your career.

My question is: Were you the class clown at school?

Your new book is my birthday pressie from my Auntie. Really looking forward to it and thanks again.

When you see Dawn, can you tell her we love her too? Xxx

Madlizzy Thu 10-Oct-13 11:25:36

Hi Jennifer. How do you feel about Beattie going into the comedy scene? I saw her sketch group last month and thought they were fab.

morethanpotatoprints Thu 10-Oct-13 11:44:27

Hi Jennifer.

I can remember you and Dawn in Bad News, many years ago, in fact.... too many to remember.
Had you worked together much prior to this and what was it like filming such a classic.
It is watched by many musicians, both present and past who love the subtle jokes, I still laugh now.

JenniferSaunders Thu 10-Oct-13 12:00:23

Hello. Lovely to finally be on Mumsnet! I am not pregnant at this moment.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 10-Oct-13 12:00:35

Jennifer Saunders is in the building. Welcome Jennifer...

JenniferSaunders Thu 10-Oct-13 12:01:04

DoItTooJulia

Wow! How exciting!

My question is: how did you realise you were funny?

People laughed, and once that happens you just keep going. The general default mode in my family was laughter.

JenniferSaunders Thu 10-Oct-13 12:01:55

Carlammc1

I am am a brand new fan. I saw a few Ab Fab episodes 10 years ago on BBC America, and looked it up again on Youtube recently. Only to discover the actress behind the character! Now I am discovering more and more hilarious skits and shows! I am in love with French and Saunders!

My question is: Have you every been badly hurt from any of the comedy tripping over things or falls to the ground?

I have bruised various parts of my body and it was in the last few Ab Fabs that I decided it would be funny for Edina to fall over and didn't realise it was a concrete floor. I hurt myself very badly but pretended I was fine because pretending to do that is a sort of badge of honour!

JenniferSaunders Thu 10-Oct-13 12:02:20

cocoleBOO

God how exciting!

Any chance of any more Jam And Jerusalem?

And on a shallow note you have fabulous skin smile

I would love to do more Jam and Jerusalem and so would all the cast. So if there's anyone out there who would like it I'd do it in a second!

JenniferSaunders Thu 10-Oct-13 12:03:06

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered

I'm hoping I can claim to be one of your earliest fans ( as opposed to oldest) having seen you and Dawn at the Pavilion Theatre, Brighton, in 1977/78?
I'm not sure I really have a question to ask, but I would love to know how you teased Patsy out of Joanna Lumley.

Huge admiration and respect for your determined privacy.

Am actually choking a bit here, I think you are amazing.

xxx

With a lot of backcombing!

JenniferSaunders Thu 10-Oct-13 12:03:32

johnworf

Hi Jennifer, what's in the pipeline for you (and Dawn, dare I dream of you together again?)

Hope to see you back on our screens v v v soon.

xx

Dare to dream John and I shall join you in that dream. I'm sure we will work together in the near future.

JenniferSaunders Thu 10-Oct-13 12:03:54

Theyremybiscuits

Hello lovely Jennifer!

Thank you for giving me plenty of laughs over your career.

My question is: Were you the class clown at school?

Your new book is my birthday pressie from my Auntie. Really looking forward to it and thanks again.

When you see Dawn, can you tell her we love her too? Xxx

No. I was quite quiet and spent my time trying to blend in and not be noticed.

JenniferSaunders Thu 10-Oct-13 12:04:33

Devoncalling123

Now that you and Adrian are grandparents, how do you both find this new role for you?

It's more enjoyable than I ever imagined it could be. We're totally besotted with Freddie and if he's not in the room then we're just looking at photos of him. He's taken over our lives. It's a joy.

JenniferSaunders Thu 10-Oct-13 12:04:53

ExitPursuedByABear

Oh I have the scary face problem too.

I am more interested in your return to the saddle. Are you still riding?

No I'm not still riding and I wish I was and that's one thing I'm definitely going to start again next year!

JenniferSaunders Thu 10-Oct-13 12:05:22

Madlizzy

Hi Jennifer. How do you feel about Beattie going into the comedy scene? I saw her sketch group last month and thought they were fab.

It makes me very happy and very very proud. I feel a bit too old to give her advice and luckily she's hilarious.

JenniferSaunders Thu 10-Oct-13 12:05:39

OddSockMonster

Hello, my question is...

Who would you like to play you in a film of your life?

I'd like Cher to play me!

JenniferSaunders Thu 10-Oct-13 12:07:06

cassieandchloe

Hi Jennifer,

I am a writer too, and often aspects of my dreams make it into my stories. Have you ever incorporated any scenes from your actual dreams into your writing? If so, are there any examples you would care to share with us? Thank you lovely lady, for a million and one laughs! thanks cake wine

All my dreams tend to be panic dreams about not remembering lines or not having done my homework. It would be very dangerous of me to incorporate these thoughts into any writing I do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now