MN WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus a follow-up question if appropriate, ie once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't be disappointed if your specific question doesn't get answered and do try not to keep posting "What about me?". 4. Do be civil/polite. See guidelines in full here.

Live webchat with Cerys Matthews, Radio 6 presenter, singer, songwriter and former member of Catatonia, Wednesday 12 June, 10.30am

(90 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 10-Jun-13 17:35:15

Cerys Matthews is coming along to Mumsnet Towers on Wednesday 12th June for a mid-morning webchat and to tell us about her beautiful new book, Hook Line and Singer that has just been published. Everyone who joins the webchat will be entered into a draw to win a signed copy (total envy here at MNHQ of the lucky winner)

Cerys is best known as a singer and songwriter from the band Catatonia. (Remember RoadRage and Mulder and Scully?) She now produces and presents the popular Sunday morning show on BBC Radio 6, makes documentaries for BBC Radio 4 and BBC Radio 2, curates festivals and regularly appears on television shows like the Culture Show and The Voice where she joins Sir Tom Jones as a singing coach. She lives in West London and has five children.

Hook, Line and Singer is the result of this lifelong love-affair with singing: a beautiful songbook filled with Cerys' favourite songs, ballads and lullabies from around the world. The book is completed with music scores to make this the perfect sing-a-long book. Interspersed with the songs are personal anecdotes and tips of how to sing the songs and even suggested dances.

Put the date in your diary to join Cerys at 10.30am on Wednesday and if you're unable to make that time, post a question to her in advance on this thread.

EmpressOfTheSevenOceans Tue 11-Jun-13 13:58:56

Oh wow. Welcome to Mumsnet, Cerys.

I was playing International Velvet last night, my favourite chillout music. I especially like the lyrics - I Am The Mob especially, much more fun than the monotony of most bands - and I wondered if you actively set out to produce something different or if it just happened that way?

Katn Tue 11-Jun-13 15:38:26

Hello Cerys! I listen to your show all the time on 6 Music. How did you get into DJing and what's your favourite type of music to play when you're on? And you plays such a wide range of stuff, have you ever played something really antisocial for a Sunday morning? grin

Ashoething Tue 11-Jun-13 16:01:39

Hello cerys

Have you had any plastic surgery? and if not then would you consider it? I really want botox but dh thinks am being ridiculousangry

mignonette Tue 11-Jun-13 16:04:27

Cerys, congratulations on the book. I am a happy listener of your 6Music show and want to thank you for providing me with an expanded soundtrack for my life.

Would you consider re-mixing and recording the songs in your new book and if so, who would be on your 'shopping list' to record alongside?

This is an album that I would buy for every child-'owning' friend I know.

NotDead Tue 11-Jun-13 16:22:24

I LOVE your show. Just saying ;)

AnAirOfHope Tue 11-Jun-13 16:30:51

Hi

What was it like working with tom jones?

Who is the most intresting person you have meet and why?

Thanks smile

AnAirOfHope Tue 11-Jun-13 16:32:26

PS im a huge fan, thanks for doing the webchat blush

WireCat Tue 11-Jun-13 16:43:57

I love her!

Does she remember me from Clwb Ifor Bach? wink

ouryve Tue 11-Jun-13 16:51:47

Hi, Cerys. I love your show and turn my radio over for it, if I'm in the kitchen on a Sunday morning.

I know your tastes are way too eclectic and your show far too geeky for Radio 2, but have you ever thought of giving TPTB over that way a prod and pointing out that their daytime line up is entirely dominated by men and that it's just not acceptable?

bisley Tue 11-Jun-13 17:14:06

Oh I love her show, always lovely, interesting music smile

trice Tue 11-Jun-13 17:39:20

Hi Cerys, I love your Sunday show on 6 music, I am frequently to be seen dancing around my kitchen or loudly singing along. From all of recorded history who would you choose to sing you a lullaby?

Shells Tue 11-Jun-13 18:08:36

Love your show Cerys. Do your kids know you are famous? What do they think about that?

SodaStreamy Tue 11-Jun-13 18:10:05

Hi Cerys,

Love your stuff

If you were just starting out would you audition for shows such as the X factor and the Voice?

thanks

maillotjaune Tue 11-Jun-13 19:28:25

Hi Cerys, my husband bought the CD of Sweet Catatonia last week. (we were still buying vinyl when it came out smile so the album doesn't get out much).

Still one of my favourite songs. No question, just wanted to say!

weebarra Tue 11-Jun-13 19:50:03

Hi Cerys, love the 6 music show and was a big fan of Catatonia.
"You've got a lot to answer for" still has me singing very badly in the car.
I sing my boys a lot of traditional Scots lullabies, do you sing ones from around the world or mostly the ones you grew up with?

Bexicles Tue 11-Jun-13 20:16:14

Hi Cerys,

You have such a unique voice, which female artists (if any) have influenced your vocal style?

shivs1974 Tue 11-Jun-13 20:28:07

If you were on Desert Island Discs, what luxury item would you choose?
My youngest is called Cerys...what's the most ridiculous pronunciation of your name you've ever heard? We once had "cerise"...

HesterShaw Tue 11-Jun-13 20:57:57

Hello Cerys, just wanted to say you are the object of a bit of a girlcrush. That's all blush

gallicgirl Tue 11-Jun-13 21:19:48

Given the opportunity, Mulder or Scully?

Catiinthehat Tue 11-Jun-13 21:30:05

Hi Cerys,

If you weren't a singer/song writer, what alternative career do you think you would have taken?

Daughteroughter Tue 11-Jun-13 21:30:35

Clwb Ifor Bach or Chapter (before its poncey revamp)?

deemented Tue 11-Jun-13 21:49:30

Hi Cerys smile

My most played album ever is International Velvet, and especially it's namesake single is sung almost daily in this house, especially by my very patriotic Manshape. My question is - how important is being Welsh to you? Do you miss home, now you live in London?

missbumbumbrazil Tue 11-Jun-13 23:19:03

Hi Cerys,

I've loved you since I was 12. Now 30. Nothing more to add.

HoveringKestrel Tue 11-Jun-13 23:40:31

I would love to ask Cerys if, after their joint appearance on The Voice, a new collaboration with Tom Jones, possibly festive, may be considered, I love 'cold outside'.

Also, are there any songs out there you would love to cover and put your own spin on?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now