MN WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus a follow-up question if appropriate, ie once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't be disappointed if your specific question doesn't get answered and do try not to keep posting "What about me?". 4. Do be civil/polite. See guidelines in full here.

Delia Smith: live webchat, TODAY, Thursday 28 February, 1-2pm

(129 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 27-Feb-13 09:46:18

To mark the end of #FoodFeb, our month long celebration of great food, we're delighted that Delia Smith is joining us tomorrow (Thursday 28 Feb) between 1 and 2pm for a webchat.

Delia last joined us in late November 2011 where she talked about everything from perfect gravy to Christmas pud. She's back this time to celebrate the launch of her latest book Delia's Cakes. Delia's Book of Cakes was first published in 1977, and has never been out of print. To celebrate its success it has undergone a complete contemporary makeover. Delia's Cakes includes timeless classics like coffee and walnut sponge and old-fashioned cherry cake as well as new recipes such as iced hidden strawberry cup cakes and chunky marmalade muffins.

The Delia Online Cookery School also launches this Thursday 28th at www.deliaonline.com.

Delia will be announcing the winners of our cake decorating competition and answering your questions between 1 and 2pm on Thursday. As ever, if you're unable to make that time, do post your question in advance to this thread.

Jux Sat 02-Mar-13 13:25:43

Delia, I am doing the chicken with 30 cloves of garlic on Sunday. As dh is a bit confused at the idea, we shall have roast spuds and cabbage with it because they are his speciality and will mollify him until he's tasted the chicken!

Excellent online site. Thank you!

cairnterrier Fri 01-Mar-13 14:52:55

Just wanted to say thank you so much to Delia for answering my question about egg allergy and for including egg free recipes in her book. 17 new things to try, yum!

Valpollicella Thu 28-Feb-13 23:05:00

Am so shock about having had my q answered by Delia and DS is even more agog grin

Fab chat!

rockinhippy Thu 28-Feb-13 22:04:20

Congratulations to the cake winners too - I knew the asparagus would win, well deserved, I've never seen another like it in my life, well done xx

rockinhippy Thu 28-Feb-13 22:02:40

Thank you Delia smile - I've looked up & found that recipe & got quite excited as it reminded me of something from my childhood I'd forgotten all about - my great aunt was a baker, cooked on an amazing huge old black cast iron range & she always kept bread flour in a big metal barrel by the fire to keep it warm & she was famous locally for her baking, so it reminded me if her - really looking forward to giving it ago & moving on from bread to build houses with smile

SpeckledBird Thu 28-Feb-13 21:10:06

She is so lovely that I think all of you who love her should start supporting Norwich City. OTBC!

You will be in very good company

MrsLyman Thu 28-Feb-13 21:07:07

Wow Delia answered my question, and with a recipe that i think we're going to love, thank you! I'm feeling rather starstruck.

JulesJules Thu 28-Feb-13 18:19:49

Delia is so lovely

Jux Thu 28-Feb-13 18:17:32

Well done you 3! I think I saw the same asparagus cake as you did, stealth. Unlike you, it never occurred to me to try to do it! grin So glad you did though, it's stunning. Mind you, I am useless at that sort of thing anyway, and decorate my Xmas cake with meringue so I can avoid it even then!

CuriousMama Thu 28-Feb-13 17:48:50

I'm glad you cleared that up TDW46, had me wondering grin

CuriousMama Thu 28-Feb-13 17:47:58

Excellent webchat. I didn't ask a question even though dp is Delia's biggest fan. We have so many of her books and use them almost daily. Dp will read this through though and enjoy it as much as me smile

Well done all the winners of the cake decorating competition thanks thanks thanks

*party

bebejones Thu 28-Feb-13 16:13:27

Thank you so much!

Have been out for ages so I'm just about to read through the web chat! Can't wait to try out so e new recipes! grin

iYawn Thu 28-Feb-13 14:10:53

Ooooooh thanks for answering my question Delia!
<off to buy the book>

Wow!!! Two of my favourite part planners won!!

Well done stealth and blathers! (And bebe too! ) i know how much angst goes into the cakes. Xxx

wem Thu 28-Feb-13 14:10:43

Congratulations stealthsquiggle, your asparagus cake was incredible. I'm off to have a look at the others now smile

Blatherskite Thu 28-Feb-13 14:07:14

Thank you very much grin

I'm really looking forward to trying out some more of Delia's recipes.

<<contemplates oscar-winners speech>>

I'd like to thank......

Maybe not grin

I am unbelievably excited to have won, though.

gazzalw Thu 28-Feb-13 14:06:50

Thank you - better get the recipe books out! Love the sound of Marmalade Cake!

Me too, I've only just spotted it but will go and have a catch up ....

Thank you Delia. I'm looking forward to catching up with the thread.

DeliaSmith Thu 28-Feb-13 14:03:55

And finally, I know you've all been waiting for it, here are the winners of the Food Feb cake decorating competition!

Stealthsquiggle for her asparagus cake

Blatherskite for her teddy-bear's picnic

And bebejones for her grandma cake

Each of you will get a signed copy of the new Delia's Cakes book

Jux Thu 28-Feb-13 14:02:46

Thank you Delia!

I remember mum making your Chicken with 30 cloves of garlic. It was delish! (She was a really good cook - French background - just not good with cakes!). Am looking at your cookery school now....

DeliaSmith Thu 28-Feb-13 14:01:37

Thank you all at Mumsnet, I've really enjoyed all the questions and all the lovely kind comments I've received.

Lots of love, Delia

Can I sneak in with a quick one ?

What's your favourite (easy !) vegetarian recipe ?

Many thanks !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now