MN WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus a follow-up question if appropriate, ie once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't be disappointed if your specific question doesn't get answered and do try not to keep posting "What about me?". 4. Do be civil/polite. See guidelines in full here.

*Delayed start - starting c 12.45pm* Webchat about energy-saving with Ed Davey, Energy and Climate Change Minister, Wednesday 13 February, now 12.45pm

(123 Posts)
JustineMumsnet Belgium (MNHQ) Mon 11-Feb-13 17:31:30

Hi all,
We'll be welcoming the Rt Hon Edward Davey, the Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change, for a webchat on this Wednesday, Feb 13th at 12.30pm - 1.30pm.

Ed Davey has been the LibDem MP for Kingston and Surbiton since 1997 and lives in Surbiton with his wife and son. He served in a number of shadow roles since 2001, including Shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury and Shadow Education and Skills Secretary, and became a Minister in the Department for Business, Innovation & Skills (BIS) in May 2011, after the forming of the current coalition government.

Ed is interested in hearing your thoughts on a wide range of issues, including the Government's new Green Deal policy, which launched in late January

Please post your question in advance on this thread, or join us live on Wednesday from 12.30pm-1.30pm.

Superhomeharriet Wed 13-Feb-13 12:22:05

You delivered an excellent speech yesterday at the Royal Society making your concern about climate change and your commitment to sustainable energy clear. Thank you. In the meantime the Energy Bill is in committee stage. Although amendments have been added so that the Secretary of state may set a decarbonisation target range after 2016, no such target is set in the current bill. The Climate Change Committee recommended a target of 50gm CO2 per kWh of electricity generated but even the much weaker target of 100gm CO2 is not is set. This leaves me feeling that the Conservative MPs on your committee really lack the determination necessary for the country to decarbonise our energy by 80% in 2050 as promised in the Climate Change Bill. Do you really feel the Energy Bill has the teeth it needs for real change?

JaneGMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 13-Feb-13 12:22:15

Hi all

We've received a call to say that Edward Davey has been delayed by around 15 minutes, so we won't be able to start at 12.30pm on the dot.

Apologies, and we'll be with you as quickly as we can.

Thanks,

MNHQ

CanaScot Wed 13-Feb-13 12:23:58

To be a success, selling the Green Deal to households has to include a reminder of our social and environmental responsibility. In the past people may have said "I'd have solar panels, but they are too expensive - only the rich can afford to go green". Now there is the opportunity for all households to go green and it actually not cost them a penny.

Ok we can complain about the interest rate, and the number of years to pay back and impact on property sales - but in reality, it should not cost you any more than you already pay for energy and over time with increasing energy prices savings will become apparent. But in the end you are doing something good for the planet. Most of us don't get paid for recycling - we do it because it's good for the planet. We invest time and space in our homes and it makes us feel good - because it costs nothing and it is helping the planet, just like the Green Deal. I would say if you can afford to pay for your own energy efficiency improvements or renewables upfront, then great - do it that way. But if you can't then you no longer have an excuse as to why you are unable to participate in Greening our planet.

MattWilcox Wed 13-Feb-13 12:25:31

Afternoon Ed,

On page 7 of the Governments "A Guide to energy performance certificates for the construction, sale and let of dwellings" it states that:

“From 9th January 2013, the following types of buildings will not require an EPC:

· Buildings and monuments protected as part of a designated environment or because of their special architectural or historic merit in so far as compliance with certain energy requirements would unacceptably alter their character or appearance."

Can you confirm that a building can either be listed OR as part of a designated environment? And what is the definition of a "designated environment"?

I would greatly appreciate your explanation to my questions?

Thanks

fadgers Wed 13-Feb-13 12:27:33

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Threaders57 Wed 13-Feb-13 12:30:15

Hi Great support of Green Deal but am confused regarding what is being asked for Green Deal works which offers full consumer protection with PAS2030 and Code of practice and what is being proposed for ECO, which seems to be a watered down version offer incompleted consumer protection and limited protect.
What are you going to do to ensure consistant consumer protection across both schemes.??

silstrep Wed 13-Feb-13 12:36:47

Hello Mr Davey
I'd like to know what the respective figures are (roughly) for government subsidies to a) renewable energy and b) nuclear energy? Are government subsidies for the latter much higher?

LMBrown Wed 13-Feb-13 12:40:06

The biggest uptake for the Domestic Green Deal scheme I can see is for private landlords, who as of now had no incentive to make their properties energy efficient as their tenants foot the energy bills. Most of these properties are regularly EPC level G (the worst efficiency rating - a cow barn would be Level G for comparison). Unfortunately, rented property in the UK houses the majority of our lower income families and adds significantly to the fuel poverty instances.
It is my understanding that any rented property in the UK is to conform to at least level E and above from 2018 with tenants able to ask for reasonable energy efficiency measures from 2016 onwards.
This is a welcome move but I can imagine the private landlord lobby is fairly active in campaigning against this legislation. Do you have a strategy for ensuring there is no U-turn on this policy? Can it be brought forward?

Ubiquitous Wed 13-Feb-13 12:40:13

Dear Ed,

Why is the Green Deal finance interest rate so high.

Considering the government can borrow substantially below the 6/7% often discussed it would be a great incentive to people if the interest rate was lower and make more measures available under the Green Deal.

MichelaB Wed 13-Feb-13 12:42:47

We have seen strong interest in Home Energy Reports such as those provided by Opower and other providers as a tool to educate consumers to become more energy efficient. Do you think that they would be a useful tool to promote the Green Deal?

Chrisjw Wed 13-Feb-13 12:44:32

Ed,
You say Green Deal is a flagship policy, but 90% of homeowners don't know what it is. You have spent £400k on a couple of adverts, but in total over 2 years will spend under £3m on awareness. That's 1/76th of the awareness money the Govt spent on the digital switchover. When will you back this policy seriously?

EdwardDavey Wed 13-Feb-13 12:45:06

Hi - now online - sorry got derailed by a House of Lords committee.
Will start answering as many as poss - thanks for all the questions! Ed

PeterBarry Wed 13-Feb-13 12:45:45

What channels have Freuds utilised in their £410,000 brief to promote the Green Deal?

EdwardDavey Wed 13-Feb-13 12:48:04

Louisefs

I'd like to know how to find a Green Deal Installer.
When I get an assessment done will they recommend someone or can I sort that out myself using local tradesmen I have used in the past

Hi Louise - a good factual one to start! To find out more about the Green Deal go to www.gov.uk/greendeal - on the website, there's a tool to help you find a green deal assessor in your area. and if you're interested about the green deal or simply about saving energy and money, phone 03001231234.
When you get an assessment, you are free to go with any supplier you want, who is green deal accredited - and the web site can help you find an installer too.

CMOTDibbler Wed 13-Feb-13 12:48:22

Hi Ed, so what steps have you and your family taken to reduce your energy impact?

AMDEA Wed 13-Feb-13 12:48:26

Mr Davey - Do you think that there will be scope for the Green Deal to lend money for buying energy-efficient appliances? Many people have old and energy-hungry fridge-freezers or washing machines but they cannot afford the upfront cost of buying a new one. This could be quite a short-term loan, compared with, say the cost of installing double glazing.

SinkingShip1 Wed 13-Feb-13 12:50:24

Do you really think it is wise to encourage debt finance given recent events and the state of the economy? Despite working full time my wages work out at just over £35 a day when my salary, after tax and NI, is divided by 365. Of that, £2.80 a day is paid to the local council as tax, who, under Government pressure, are slowly relieving themselves of their social responsibilities. Would I like a Green Deal loan? No thank you, but I would like to live my life without worrying about finances every day.

EdwardDavey Wed 13-Feb-13 12:51:55

Robson5

Do you think the government has done enough to let small local businesses access Green Deal work? As a Mum who helps run a small renewable energy firm and who also gets people to do work on my house, this is a big concern, because generally people trust their small local traders who rely on word of mouth.

Hi Robson5 - one of the big differences with green deal compared to past government energy efficiency schemes is that it is far more open to small firms. You're spot on that word of mouth can be key! Green deal is really about creating a whole new market in energy efficiency - where every person can buy - and as many SMEs can sell - so long as they are accredited (to protect consumers!).
We've been working with a whole host of small and medium firms, to make sure green deal is open to them - and we will keep working to make sure this market is as competitive and open as possible

BlueNeil61 Wed 13-Feb-13 12:55:12

Hi Ed,

Why do you think the Green Deal has been so slow to get off the ground? There has been very little visible advertising. Do you think the up front assessment cost and the interest rate on the loans is preventing people from taking the plunge?

EdwardDavey Wed 13-Feb-13 12:55:51

JugglingFromHereToThere

Do you think society as a whole and any of the main political parties have really taken on board the severity of the threat of global warming and the importance of developing a significant and even radical green agenda ?
I feel there is a danger of green initiatives being too little too late, and am inclined to support the Green party, who put this issue at the centre of their policies.
Green deal seems fairly encouraging but needs more publicity and support I feel.

Dear Juggler!
I got into politics because of my concern about the environment - a long time ago! I'd read "Seeing Green" by Porritt when i was 19 then devoured lots of similar books - so I'm personally committed. Nowadays, I think lots of politicians, from all parties, recognise the threat from climate change. Myself, from the scientists I talk to, the threat is getting worse!
We have to do everything we can - in the UK with things like the green deal, green investmnet bank, massive investment in railways, renewable energy - etc - plus woprking with other countries in the eu and globally. And you're right we need to give this massive effort more publicity

Paul74 Wed 13-Feb-13 12:57:31

Webchat delayed, very much like the Green Deal. will this Government ever be able to stick to a timeframe?

EdwardDavey Wed 13-Feb-13 13:00:26

Ubiquitous

Dear Ed,

Why is the Green Deal finance interest rate so high.

Considering the government can borrow substantially below the 6/7% often discussed it would be a great incentive to people if the interest rate was lower and make more measures available under the Green Deal.

Ubiquitous - where are you today?!

The green deal interest rate is actually low compared to almost any other form of unsecured credit. Try getting a 25 year loan, unsecured anywhere else, at a lower rate? And a loan that you may not end up fully paying off, as you pass it on to the next tenant or homeowner who enjoys the huge benefit of lower energy bills and a warmer home, when you move out of your current property?

We think over 80% of people will be able to benefit from this unsecured credit - whereas only around 50% of people can get unsecured credit now. If you look at the many forms of credit people use today, apart from mortgages, the vast majority comes in at high and ultra high rates and charges - green deal doesn't PLUs - and this is a big plus, the cost and the credit MUST be lower than the estimated savings you make on your energy bill. So actiually, the green deal is aiming to make you better off!

Chrisjw Wed 13-Feb-13 13:00:41

Well said! Paul74

JonLew Wed 13-Feb-13 13:00:56

Ed ..You say "Nowadays, I think lots of politicians, from all parties, recognise the threat from climate change"
..but how many of the nation's MP's do you believe really "get it " and will push to Act. Now.?

Paul74 Wed 13-Feb-13 13:03:04

Hello Ed,

I have invested a lot of money i becoming a GDA and GDI and have been gearing my business up specifically for Green Deal. I am now losing money on a weekly basis as i do not have the ability to find a Provider who has the software ready or finance available to create a Green Deal plan. Please can you explain why when the scheme was due to launch in October, now at the end of January but things still are not underway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now