WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus one follow-up once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't moan if your question doesn't get answered. 4. Do be civil/polite. See full guidelines here.

Miranda Hart webchat: Wednesday 17 October, 1-2pm

(437 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 15-Oct-12 12:50:45

Finally... and in response to popular demand, we're delighted to announce Miranda will be joining us for a webchat on Wednesday at 1pm. In her first book, Is it Just Me? Miranda shares a wealth of awkward experiences that have punctuated her life, from fashion choices, through to first dates and getting to grips with the etiquette of spa days.

Send your questions to Miranda and share with her your own awkward moments in life. After the webchat we'll ask Miranda to choose her favourite and the winner will receive a signed copy of her book.

noseyparker4ahusband Tue 16-Oct-12 11:51:22

Hello Miranda, it is lovely that you are doing this chat. (I want to give you a huge hug smile) I have been a fan of yours for years - in fact since 2004 when I saw you at the Edinburgh Fringe. You were playing a sidekick role to someone else who I have long since forgotten the name of. I can remember then saying that we thought you were much better than the other person and we are so pleased to see the success you are having in your career. You even stopped to chat to Myself and my husband after the show. Thank you for bothering to take the time out to stop and talk as we can imagine how hectic those show schedules must have been.
My question is did you get into acting to help you tackle your issues like the agoraphobia. I personally cannot imagine anything more terrifying than getting up on stage in front of an audience, how do you manage it ?

HappySnail Tue 16-Oct-12 12:25:49

I posted on Facebook recently that you should be available on NHS prescriptions! Miranda is the one programme all the family fight for a place on the sofa to watch - and I'm the only girl! You are brilliant beyond belief! Thank you so much for 'lightening the load' of life. Please do loads and loads and loads more TV.

Most embarrassing moment: on trip to London with my boys (7 & 9 at the time). Took them to the loo - big disabled one with HUGE door. Thought I'd avail myself of the opportunity at the same time. Mid hover the door suddenly opened revealing my 'all and sundry' to the people-packed corridor outside. Shrieks, squeals and closed door. 2nd attempt: once again, mid hover doors opened to same waiting queue in corridor!! 3rd attempt: mid hover, doors opened AND booming voice on the intercom: THE DISABLED something-or-other HAS BEEN ACTIVATED and doors open again. I look at my boys in desperation, standing - as I thought - innocently by the taps, only to discover they had been pressing the OPEN and SHUT door buttons at random!!! We ran down the corridor and threw ourselve into our seats in absolute fits of laughter. Never been so embarrassed in my life!

lirael Tue 16-Oct-12 14:20:00

Vicar caught me doing my homework in my underwear when I was 12. Dog had knocked a cup of tea all over me, I couldn't be bothered to change. Vicar called, dog tried to mate with his corderoyed leg, my mother attempted to preserve dignity by ushering him into the study where I was working while holding dog back with her own leg, only to find the door wouldn't open because I was leaning against it in naked desperation on the other side. Her entreaties to me went unanswered - how can you say 'I'm not wearing anything?' to a VICAR? Eventually she managed to shove the door open to find me cowering behind it in my navy blue knickers and vest. I have a vague memory of a bemused priestly face behind her but the rest is a merciful blank.

My question - which do you find easiest - acting in Miranda or in Call the Midwife?

PrincessPumpkinshoutsBOO Tue 16-Oct-12 16:33:00

Me again, thought I would share another really embarrassing moment, I just mentioned it on another thread and thought it might win me a copy of the book Miranda might enjoy it smile

I was in labour with mw ds2 and managing at home, there was a gush of water so we called the midwife (honestly we did, I could have said phoned the birth unit but where is the fun in that grin) they told me to make my way in and bring mw bag as this should be it finally, only to be told when we got there that I had actually pee'd myself blush

October1st Tue 16-Oct-12 16:56:02

You seem to like wearing Boden clothes in your Mirands tv series.How do you rate their "new look" and did you ever get to snog Tom Ellis?

Twosugarsplease Tue 16-Oct-12 16:57:43

Hi, we all think you are fab too !
Can I share my most excrutiating embarrassing moment...here goes,

On our family holiday in Ibiza...<picture the scene> I stroll out the lift coming down from our apartment, in one hand pushing my toddler in the buggy, in the other I have my older sons hand(he has the inflated crocodile under his arm)2 inflated rubber rings round my wrist, my pool/beach bag on my shoulder, armbands on the handles of buggy.

I get to the pool, choose our sunbeds for the morning, and set up...i get shorts off....towels neatly laid on beds, kids sorted out armbands on, sunscreen on, older son lowered onto his crocodile, little one picked up and laid on sunbed while I bend over to put his swim nappy on.

EH comes back from getting the paper, I pass little one to him and go off to get some drinks, I come back and sit down, feeling a bit uncomfortable, my knickers literally in a twist, I look down, and I have the bikini crotch on my hips, so where is the one little thin strap that should be displayed on my other hip ?????? Its underneath !!!! All that time !!!!! blush I just put my face in a towel and couldn't stop thinking about being on my hands and knees bending over into the pool when I put my son in, and changing little ones nappy ! I nearly cried.

Lollybrolly Tue 16-Oct-12 17:22:32

Hi Miranda, my 14yo daughter is a huge fan of yours and it is her I must thank for introducing me to you. Apparently your DVDs are on constant play in the common room at her school and you have an army of 14yo female fans that think you are awesome!!! In her dorm at school you get far more pin board area (several posters of you) than I do - I am a tiny pic shoved in the corner!!!

We all cannot wait for series 3 in our house.

I have lots and lots of embarrassing stories I could share. I am a walking disaster. My daughter says she thinks I have Miranda type tendancies - I have taken this as a compliment by the way! grin

Embarrassing moment: At the checkout in my local busy Sainsburys, being only 5ft tall I have to lean right into my trolley when I need to reach the bottom of it. On this one day I somehow managed to attach myself to my trolley by the underwire of my bra. I was stuck. The till lady sat staring at me wondering why I was leaning half in and half out of my trolley. No matter how hard I tried I was well and truely hooked onto the trolley. I tried to explain to the till lady in a quiet voice that I was stuck but she couldnt hear me (unless she was taking the piss). She made me say it several times and louder each time "I am stuck to the trolley". I held a huge queue of impatient shoppers up although they seemed to enjoy sniggering at my misfortune. They put a call out to the superviser and the first aider who eventually came to my aid and managed to release me from the trolley (not before putting their hands up my top). I then had to thank them, finished packing and pay for my shopping acting like it was a completely normal shopping experience - all the while I was in agony as my new distorted underwire was stabbing into my boob! I now shop in Asda or Morrissons.

smile

Sparklingbrook Tue 16-Oct-12 17:36:52

Hi Miranda. What is Mumsnet Towers like? Is it 'what you would call' posh? grin
We never get invited. sad

eatyourveg Tue 16-Oct-12 17:45:06

Do you all keep to the script or is there a lot of ad libbing?

BettyBristow Tue 16-Oct-12 17:50:55

Miranda, I'm a tall gal too. What can I use as a witty retort when people ask me if I'm still growing?

HappyTurquoise Tue 16-Oct-12 18:44:58

Miranda, we all love you in our house too!

Embarrassing moment:

Many years ago, when we were newly wed, I was out at a busy high street with Mr Turquoise. We were very hard up in those days, and I had been putting on weight so didn't have much which fitted me. All I had clean to wear for that night was a long, hideous bright yellow skirt. It was really the wrong choice for the bar we were in, packed full of Beautiful Young(er) Things all looking wonderful in black. So we decided to drink up and move on. Before leaving, I made a quick visit to the loo. When I came out of the cubicle, it did seem a little odd that the line of girls waited outside while I washed my hands and someone even held the door open for me. I looked around for Mr Turquoise in the crowds, finding it a little strange how the packed and previously pushy crowd was making way for me...I eventually found him outside where he pointed out to me that I had the end of the loo roll AND my yellow skirt tucked in my BIG knickers. I looked behind me and there was a long line of loo roll which tracked the route I had taken all along the bar and back to the door. Everyone in the bar cheered when I found out (not in a naice way). Mortifying.

Question for you:

I was listening to Radio 4 when your cousin Thomas, the plant hunter was on. Did you listen? (that's not the question) Interesting chap! Question: Do you see much of him (and the rest of your extended family)?

Loved the piece you wrote for the telegraph recently about clothes/beauty. Really struck a chord.

So my question is if you have to shop for new stuff are you an online or high street kinda-shopper?

AWimbaWay Tue 16-Oct-12 18:50:22

Why do you think Miranda works so well? To be truthful if someone had described the programme to me prior to my watching I'd have thought it sounded awful, but I love it and find it hilarious!

Apart from when I threw orange juice all over the head of the PTA whilst she was speaking at the AGM my most embarrassing moment happened many years ago.

I was a trying to be cool 14 year old going to my first house party. My father dropped me and a friend off outside the house, watched us go in then drove off. We wandered in through the kitchen past two 30 year old men, through the empty dining room, down the hallway to the very empty living room. We stayed here what felt like a lifetime having realised we had just walked into a complete strangers house by mistake and were now stood in their living room. Heads down we went back down the hallway, through the dining room, past the two blokes in kitchen without lifting our heads or saying a word. We then wandered the streets for about an hour until we found the correct house. I blame my father!

HoneyDragon Tue 16-Oct-12 19:03:10

Miranda

I will be happy if you answer one of the following (you choose).

Where do you usually keep your phone? (<<waves at Cocolepew grin>>

Did you ever drop a baby when you were filming The Midwife?

Would rather
a) Have a spider die up your fanjo
b) Walk out into a busy swimming pool having forgotten your bottoms
c) Deal with a child in your care publicly cascading runny poo down a staircase
or
d) Forgot to make yourself anonymous when you publicly ask for advice on your itchy and possibly wormy vagine?

Most Embarrassing moment: The only one that still makes me cringe was having my Boyfriends Mum walk in when I was giving him an early morning treat to gravely announce Princess Di was dead and she thought we should know. Consequently I cannot stand it and still stammer when people ask what I was doing the moment I found out she had died blush

MayTheOddsBeEverInYourFavour Tue 16-Oct-12 19:10:02

Oh yay, well done mumsnet, I love Miranda grin

My question is, is it true you were born in Torquay? I wiki'd you but I'm not a mad stalker, honest and if it is true have you been down here recently? If you come down again can I buy you a drink? grin

I can't think of an embarrasing moment right now have tried to blank them from my mind but I have been enjoying other misfortunes in you're e-book 'no its us too' grin

skewiff Tue 16-Oct-12 19:57:34

Do you remember standing under that bridge in the London Marathon?

I think you stood under a bridge ...

We all watch you now (there are 4 of us) and so so much enjoy your show.

I remember you from the actors' centre and feel really proud of you for doing so well, and such excellent work all created by yourself.

morethanpotatoprints Tue 16-Oct-12 20:28:18

Really enjoy your show, its very rare I get a genuine belly laugh, these days.

I have too many embarrasing moments to mention, foot and mouth kind really.

My question, well 2 really. Are we allowed 2 if they kind of segue?

Do you feel that comedy is still mainly a male dominated industry and what advice (apart from don't do it) would you give to any young female wanting to become a comic?

atrociouscook Tue 16-Oct-12 21:37:12

Hi Miranda

Huge fan and I would really like to know if Patricia Hodge is based at all on your mother? I guess you can't say too much about her in case she reads this, but Hodge is so ghastly I would feel really sorry for you if she resembles your mother. And are you and Gary going to get it together before the end of the series - on screen or off?!

bexxx Tue 16-Oct-12 22:00:12

Hi Miranda - I must stress that this odd question is purely on behalf of my besotted 11 year old daughter - I am already suffering intense pester power for your book. She loves your show and would be thrilled if you can reply to her question as yours is her favourite programme. Abstrusely, you're right up there with Jessie J.

Anywaym she would like to ask you if you like chickens (as pets)? She owns some and loves them to bits.

Her embarrassing moment:

She went to an interview for entry to a posh brainbox school, and first off, the interviewer offered her a chocolate, which she politely accepted. Interviewer then launched into questions without further ado, so dd unable to eat chocolate and kept it in her hand. When she emerged just 20 minutes later she had to offer her tightly clenched fist to the interviewer to shake on parting, and then returned to the room where I was waiting. She showed me her open hand, and my brain couldn't quite comprehend how my neatly turned out dd had apparently emerged after such a short time having had some sort of terrible accident in the interview AND smiling! For anyone who didn't guess, it was just chocolate luckily.

GOSH! Me and the hubby LOVE Miranda smile Reminds me of myself lol
I am always making a big butterfingers of myself!
My question is:
Do you know anyone in real life who resembles Tilly?

LineRunner Tue 16-Oct-12 22:55:00

My embrrassing moment is too embarrassing to discuss. And it does involve real actual shit. So we'll just leave it at that, I think.

Miranda, my DD wrote to you for a signed photo and you kindly sent her one - just want to say a big thanks. smile

NZ fan here - I laugh so hard at your show !
Anyway, are the characters of Tilly and your mother based on 'what I call (couldn't resist tehe) real people ?'
Sorry if this question has been asked by a previous poster - haven't had a chance to read whole thread. So please bear with . . . (sorry !)

ripsishere Wed 17-Oct-12 05:49:48

I am seriously considering getting my DD up in the night to see this (we live in Malaysia).
I am planning now to buy her your book for Christmas.
Question. Have you ever met Adrian Chiles? <shallow>
Embarrassing moment. So many. So little time. Probably one of the worst was trying to drag a dwarf/midget out of a toyshop in Switzerland where I'd mistaken her for my daughter. I only stopped when I met resistance and realized her hand felt different.

ripsishere Wed 17-Oct-12 05:50:43

Serious question. How long did it take you to film the episode of Miranda when you were dragged around a sushi conveyor belt? I imagine it was a one take thing. DD always threatens to 'do a Miranda' if we go to one.

StillIRise Wed 17-Oct-12 08:54:11

Hi Miranda

Can't think of a question.

Bear with.......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now