MN WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus a follow-up question if appropriate, ie once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't be disappointed if your specific question doesn't get answered and do try not to keep posting "What about me?". 4. Do be civil/polite. See guidelines in full here.

Boris Johnson webchat, TODAY, Mon 16 Apr, 11.30am-12.30pm

(205 Posts)
FrancesMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 12-Apr-12 11:18:37

In the run up to the London Mayoral elections in May, we're very pleased to announce that Boris Johnson will be joining us for a webchat on Monday 16th April from 11.30am to 12.30pm. In May 2008, Boris was elected the first Conservative Mayor of London. He was the MP for Henley-on-Thames from 2001 to 2007, and held the posts of Vice Chairman, Shadow Minister for the Arts and Shadow Minister of Higher Education.

Do please join us for the webchat. Boris is keen to hear your views and to answer your questions. As ever, if you can't make it, please post up your advance questions here.
Thanks, MNHQ

SarahStratton Mon 16-Apr-12 12:40:39

Thank you Boris, and thank you very much for answering my inane questions, as well as the serious ones.

<mwah>

crazynanna Mon 16-Apr-12 12:40:15

Re the biscuit answer...Boris just sounds to me like a man that wants it all! wink

DottyDot Mon 16-Apr-12 12:39:52

ooh Boris you smooth talker you.... smile

BorisJohnson Mon 16-Apr-12 12:38:57

I will let you all in on a conversation i had this morning
I was in No 10 making the case for more funding for London and received some high-level advice that Mumsnet was the toughest assignment a politician could face

I want you to know i have much enjoyed it and hope that if I prevail on May 3 you may think it worth inviting me back

ps thanks for the tip about the hairbrush.

noseynoonoo Mon 16-Apr-12 12:36:07

Brilliant biscuit answer - Gordon Brown take note!

SarahStratton Mon 16-Apr-12 12:36:01

<pushes for that elusive kiss>

oxred81 Mon 16-Apr-12 12:34:27

ps, people here would be v excited about your biscuit comments. I shall pass them on.

oxred81 Mon 16-Apr-12 12:33:59

Hi Boris
I read your guest blog post where you mention steps you’ve taken to ensure ‘our children can play outside’. On top of planting street trees, and restoring green spaces – would you commit to protecting those green spaces too? The QEII Fields Challenge gives councils the opportunity to protect parks & pitches forever but sadly it hasn’t had as much take up in London as elsewhere. Would you take it up as a mayoral pledge?

BorisJohnson Mon 16-Apr-12 12:33:54

SarahStratton

Plain or milk chocolate?

I am sorry that we haven't yet given you enough detail on the biscuit question

The important point about a chocolate digestive is that it combines the temptation of the chocolate with the nourishment of the wholemeal biscuit pabulum stuff

Each biscuit delivers on that promise, time after time, until you get to the bottom of the packet

It is about consistency and reliability

It does what it says on the packet

That is the essence of my commitment to London

I will keep my promises - just as I have been able to keep them over the last four years, and i hope i can count on your support

SarahStratton Mon 16-Apr-12 12:32:51

Didn't get a kiss sad

<practices Sadface for Daily Mail shoot>

SophieNeveau Mon 16-Apr-12 12:32:00

Boris, tip, put a mirror and hairbrush in your of rucksack!

cakewench Mon 16-Apr-12 12:31:46

oh goodness, I can't even wink at the man properly. Here's another try: wink

grin

SarahStratton Mon 16-Apr-12 12:31:28

Thanks, you can be on Team Stratters, Boris grin

crazynanna Mon 16-Apr-12 12:30:57

"Substantial" is still alarming,though.

cakewench Mon 16-Apr-12 12:30:53

At the Beijing Olympic closing ceremony, you kept shoving your hands in your pockets. Please don't do that at this one.

Don't worry about the hair. Just think "hands, not in pockets. cakewench told me so."

I don't live in London but I think the ladies who do have raised some good and proper points with you today. Please excuse my silly one. ;)

BorisJohnson Mon 16-Apr-12 12:28:58

SarahStratton

Hullo Boris, I think you are gorgeous. A kiss would be lovely grin

My question is: What preparations have you made for a Zombie Apocalypse, and what do you have in your OFRS?

Thank you x

Dear Sarah Stratton and all who have asked about the Zombie Apocalypse

All I can say that we are making every effort to ensure that the Zombie Apocalypse does not happen, and certainly not during the Olympic and Paralympic Games

I am told by the security services that the risk of the Zombie Apocalypse and indeed all other disasters has been downgraded from severe to substantial

But we are never complacent.

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 16-Apr-12 12:28:54

poppyseeds99

Hi Boris,

Thanks for answering my question. You mentioned your manifesto; where can I find it and what's the key part of your 9 point plan?

www.backboris2012.com/manifesto

SarahStratton Mon 16-Apr-12 12:28:14

Plain or milk chocolate?

MrsMicawber Mon 16-Apr-12 12:27:55

Boris,

What will you be doing to improve social mobility in London?

poppyseeds99 Mon 16-Apr-12 12:27:49

Hi Boris,

Thanks for answering my question. You mentioned your manifesto; where can I find it and what's the key part of your 9 point plan?

MissAnneThrope Mon 16-Apr-12 12:27:34

Ach, if that's the case, it might have been better to front it out, instead of deleting your manifesto. That rather makes it look as though you were trying to cover your tracks and hope we didn't notice, shifty-like ;)

BorisJohnson Mon 16-Apr-12 12:26:45

TheBlackShiksa

As the number of young black unemployed men hits 50% in the UK, what as mayor will you be doing to help get more black men into work? Figures have also shown that women are going to hit hardest by the recession, and black women more so, as I black person I find it difficult to even contemplate voting for a Tory mayor, why should I vote for you?

Because I have a plan to create 200,000 jobs over the next four years that will benefit all Londoners. It rests on maintaining investment in transport, housing, local high streets and the Olympic legacy. The best way through tough times is jobs and growth.

I will also create 100,000 apprenticeships that will be open to all, enabling young Londoners to get into work.

But we all recognize that black boys in particular are at risk from being left behind. That’s why I have a specific plan to help them. My mentoring scheme for black boys aged 11-16 will match the most difficult cases with adult mentors who will help them with their school work and lead away them from catastrophic choices and into jobs.

SuzyDoo Mon 16-Apr-12 12:26:19

But 20mph across London would make the most difference - not helmets!

BorisJohnson Mon 16-Apr-12 12:25:17

debsdrew

Why does the word "childcare" not appear in your manifesto?

We have not yet finished the manifesto! One of the good things in the economy chapter was a commitment to help mothers back into work by setting up a new £25m fund for part-time jobs

We reckon we can help create 20,000 part time jobs in the GLA group alone

I am also going to champion part-time jobs with London's private sector - on the lines of the Living Wage campaign

BorisJohnson Mon 16-Apr-12 12:25:09

jonnybristol

what's your favourite biscuit Boris?

Chocolate Digestive

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now