WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus one follow-up once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't moan if your question doesn't get answered. 4. Do be civil/polite. See full guidelines here.

Live webchat with Kirstie Allsopp, TODAY, Weds 28 March, from 12.30pm

(155 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 26-Mar-12 15:13:41

We're delighted to announce that Kirstie is going to be hosting her first ever online webchat on Mumsnet from 12.30 to 1.30 pm on Wednesday 28th March, where you'll be able to chat with Kirstie, and tap into her expert knowledge on home-making and DIY. Known for her forthright views on parenting, home-making, decor and passion for crafts, Kirstie will offer honest advice to all Mumsnetters. If you're unable to join Kirstie at 12.30 on Wednesday, post your advance questions to this thread.

The webchat will celebrate B&Q's partnership with Mumsnet which is scheduled to launch 16th April.

DonkeyTeapot Tue 27-Mar-12 14:04:58

Another Kirstie fan here. I've really enjoyed repeatedly watching Handmade Britain, and the Christmas one too, and I imagine it was brilliant learning all those crafts and being able to have a go at different things. I just wondered, what crafts do you regularly practise at home, and what have you made that you are most proud of?

TwllBach Tue 27-Mar-12 15:01:09

Dear Kirstie,

You are my first ever, proper, grown up girl crush blush

I love your dresses and wonder if you would ever consider donating your off casts to me?

I don't think I have a sensible question blush blush although I watched your handmade series around Christmas time last year and it inspired me to be abit mroe creative in terms of decorations and wrapping, so thank you for that!

cocolepew Tue 27-Mar-12 17:32:33

Hi Kirstie, have you every had an argument with someone on LLL that hasn't been shown.

I'd throw most of them out the window myself.

NoraHelmer Tue 27-Mar-12 17:46:09

Dear Kirstie

I love your shows. Do you have any ideas about why the property market has completely ground to a halt in some areas of the country? We're based in North Dorset and have been struggling to sell our house for 18 months now, having drastically reduced the sale price in the hope that this would attract buyers, but to no avail. No-one seems to be interested, and it's not just our house, but everyone in our town appears to be struggling to find a buyer. What's gone wrong?

Doobydoo Tue 27-Mar-12 18:01:21

'Expert'...confused

HJisgoingtogoBOOM Tue 27-Mar-12 19:28:19

Oh oh oh another one blush

Do you ever have workmen that don't show/don't quote/turn up month late or is that just me? And can you get me a builder please as I can't get them to quote.

AliceHurled Tue 27-Mar-12 19:38:38

Kirstie, do you think your genre of programmes place increasing demands on women to live up to some 1950s ideal?

Goawaybob Tue 27-Mar-12 20:13:33

Kirstie, do you and phil feel ever so slightly responsible for the housing boom that we are now coming out of? oh and second homers? grin

I blame you for shabby chic too wink

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Tue 27-Mar-12 21:08:01

Hi Kirsty

I am interested, do you feel pressure to live up to your public image? (ie domestic godess) Do you every just throw some chicken nuggets and chips in the oven for them?

Also, do you love being related to Cath? Are you close? There seems to be quite a cross over in your styles.

Honoured to be in your presence (well nearly... in your presence that is, def. honoured)

TheRuncibleSpoon Tue 27-Mar-12 21:11:10

Love your programmes, Kirstie, and hugely admire your style.

Did you ever get the wonderful red ring back? I often think about that when I see you on TV with the fab blue one.....

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Tue 27-Mar-12 21:18:37

Argh!! I obviously meant for the children!

ShowOfHands Tue 27-Mar-12 22:22:20

According to twitter you think people in the public eye are human. Do you extend this claim to cover Philip Schofield? Because the man stopped ageing circa '89. I'm thinking vampire. What about you?

Seriously, I have no questions for you but I think you're a Good Egg so thought I'd say so.

You have a lovely black furry winter hat you sometimes wear on tv. I want one - where did you get it?

And would your heart sink if you got homemade presents for your bday or Christmas (from friends, not from your boys)? I love the ideas in your craft book but will my friends want felt hearts from me - I'm not so sure.

Merrylegs Wed 28-Mar-12 08:43:25

Welcome Kirstie smile
I was sorry to read on Twitter that you weren't looking forward to your MN webchat. As a user of social network sites I am sure you know that for all the nice things folk post, there are not so nice as well. Some on here can be a bit critical of cupcakeybunting type TV programmes but I am sure you also have opinions on things you see or hear broadcast and might occasionally share those opinions on your Twitter feed. I hope you can see that you have a lot of fans here!

Living in rural Norfolk, DD and I really enjoyed your county show series. DD has a pencil case from your M&S range and was curious to see it was made in Indonesia. I wonder how important you think British manufacturing is, and if you have any say in how or where products you put your name to are made?

CuppaTeaJanice Wed 28-Mar-12 08:58:51

Hi Kirstie, smile

Was your move to presenting craft based programmes prompted by the recession and subsequent stagnation of the property market? Or have you always been interested in handmade crafts? Which of the two genres do you have most passion for?

MarthasHarbour Wed 28-Mar-12 09:27:14

<runs in squealing>

I love you Kirstie, i want to be you, please be my friend.

<runs out giggling>

blush

DonkeyTeapot Wed 28-Mar-12 09:30:14

Excellent question, Merrylegs - I'd love Kirstie to answer this please, if that's possible.

MarthasHarbour Wed 28-Mar-12 09:30:45

No but really, you are fabulous.

I love your style, please do tell where you buy your fabulous dresses.

Also, me and DH (who adores you btw!) have noticed that LLL has become a bit more, well, upper middle class. We liked it when you had £135k houses in Manchester (i know the market has gone up but YSWIM). We would like to see more family homes under £250k, that sort of thing.

We dont watch as much now as we got sick of vair rich people like Hereward with £1million to spend... we cant identify with that.

Other than that - totally loving your work! smile

MmmPercyPigs Wed 28-Mar-12 10:28:15

Hello Kirstie,

What, in your opinion, makes a 'house' into a 'home'. My family and I live overseas and because of our work, we tend to pack up and change countries every 3-4 years. We aren't really able to take much stuff with us and usually move into furnished accommodation.

Other than fill it with my happy family - do you have any advice?! smile

KirstieAllsopp Wed 28-Mar-12 10:33:50

testing testing

MarthasHarbour Wed 28-Mar-12 10:55:35

oh oh oh blush <waves frantically>

come and sit here <pats chair next to me, offers cake as a bribe>

MrsCobbit Wed 28-Mar-12 10:57:18

<faints>

champagnesupernova Wed 28-Mar-12 10:59:49

Hello Kirstie
gringringringringringringringringrin

Welcome to Mumsnet - we aren't all vipers, honest. And all the folk at Mumsnet Towers will be nice to you and give you biscuits and everything.

I am logging into MN from our holiday <hides from DH> quite close to the house you did up - we're on the south side of Bude...(am not a stalker I promise). We will be on the beach during the webchat as it is a glorious sunny day here.

My question is: Do you think there was such a phrase as a "forever house" before you and Phil did Location Location Location?

I ask because we are now scrimping and saving to extend/remodel what we currently have rather than move because we have fallen in love with the idea that this is the house that we will raise our family in (have 2 DSes and thinking about having another one) rather than a succession of houses....

Also wanted to say hello - my boss thinks we are quite similar and long lost twins.
Thanks Kirstie
grin

MerryMarigold Wed 28-Mar-12 11:01:32

Not sure you'll be reading all of these, but just wanted you to know that my extended family and I now all refer to our fireplaces as 'far-places'....because of you! It still makes me giggle when you say it, please try and get it in quite often in any future shows.

MerryMarigold Wed 28-Mar-12 11:06:04

If you were an MNer, what would your nickname be?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now