WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus one follow-up once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't moan if your question doesn't get answered. 4. Do be civil/polite. See full guidelines here.

Antony Worrall Thompson joining us to answer your questions on slow cooking - Tuesday 18th January between 1 - 2 pm

(219 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 13-Jan-11 10:58:28

Antony Worrall Thompson is our guest next Tuesday lunchtime when he's going to be answering questions on how to get the most out of your slow cooker as well as giving us tips on how to prepare some delicious one-pot dishes either in a slow cooker or a casserole - just the thing for these cold wintry nights.

He will also be preparing one of the recipes from his new book Slow Cooking which we will film and show in Mumsnet Recipes. The webchat will run between 1 and 2pm so put the date in your diary and if you can't join us next Tuesday but have a question you'd like to put to Antony, post it to this thread.

LoveBeingADaddysGirl Thu 13-Jan-11 11:03:13

Hi AWT

what can I cook in my slow cooker that's not a boring chick tombased stew (prefer no bones)?

And a checky second question which celeb chef would you like to see slowcooked?

grin

NumptyMum Thu 13-Jan-11 14:08:53

Can you do whole chicken in a slow cooker? I do lots of casserole-type recipes that I love and which are great for the kids, but sometimes it's nice to cook plain meat to then use in a variety of things (and make stock from the leftovers/bones). I'd really like to be able to cook moist chicken rather than the dried out roast from my fan oven. My mum in the past made the most amazing chicken in her pressure-cooker; is it possible in a slow cooker?

SecretNutellaFix Thu 13-Jan-11 14:22:13

I'm always a bit concerned about the amount of liquid to use.
Do you find that the majority of recipes say to use too much liquid? Or is the reason my food is runny because I have the cooker on too long. What tips would you give, as I have to leave mine on for 9hrs+ due to working day and no way of getting home at lunchtime to switch it on then.

arentfanny Thu 13-Jan-11 14:23:14

Oh bugger, I am working that day, I have is new book out of the library, will have a peruse and ask a question, it probably won't get answered by hey ho.

NatalieCallaghan Thu 13-Jan-11 14:48:20

Odd question. I am on a plan which doesn't allow me to mix root veg with my chicken, so I was wondering whether I could put a whole chicken into the slow cooker WITHOUT liquid? I assume it would still come out as tender and juicy?

mummyplonk Thu 13-Jan-11 14:51:19

Are there any Fish/Seafood stews that are safe to cook slowly, we love fish but I dont want to poison anyone?

abgirl Thu 13-Jan-11 17:18:41

Can you give some advice on which pulses etc to use and how to do it safely? I never know which I need to pre-cook if dried so only tend to bung in lentilsconfused

jonicomelately Thu 13-Jan-11 17:26:18

Brilliant.

Bless your little cotton socks MNHQ for listening to us smile

My question is do you have a recipe which is posh and impressive enough to serve to friends?

Thanks Anthony smile

rr16 Thu 13-Jan-11 19:30:24

Hello!

I'd love a slow cooker recipe for any kind of curry.

Many thanks xXx

arentfanny Thu 13-Jan-11 21:01:04

Just done the recipe for partridges but adapted it slightly with pheasants and it was delicious, going to try the squid one on Saturday.

aristocat Thu 13-Jan-11 22:32:37

hello Antony

i would like a chicken curry recipe too, the hotter and spicier the better grin

thank you!

lagrandissima Fri 14-Jan-11 07:26:38

I'd like advice on what to do with whole joints of meat. I'm nervous about cooking pork particularly in the slow cooker, as I can't believe the 'high' setting is high enough to cook the meat thoroughly. How do you do it? Ideally I'd like the meat to fall apart in threads, yummy.

chimchar Fri 14-Jan-11 07:35:54

hello mr awt!

any tips on adapting cooking times so that i can do "normal" recipes in my slowcooker?

also, any favorite child friendly slowcooker dishes please?

thank you!

melikalikimaka Fri 14-Jan-11 16:59:48

Hi,
have you got a simple beef/lamb/pork/chicken stew/casserole for me that doesn't have any fancy ingredients that I have to hunt around the shops for.Normal stuff in my cupboards! It's got to be tried,tested and yummy. It's not too much to ask!

1234ThumbScrew Fri 14-Jan-11 17:03:48

Hello

Can you give us some recipes that don't involve browning or any frying before putting in the slow cooker. I'd like to bung the ingredients in, turn it on and go.

utterlyslutterly Fri 14-Jan-11 17:19:46

Hi AWT.
Have a slow cooker which I love, but since buying my pressure cooker I haven't gone back to the slow cooking.

My question is, why don't any of the celeb chefs recognise the sheer fantasticness of the 70's pressure cooker? Its such a green way to cook (less energy needed) and I have yet to eat a tastier bœuf bourguignon. But can I find a non-american pressure cooker recipe book - I cannot! There is a book and AWT branded pressure cooker opportunity here, and I only expect a few thousand quids for the idea! wink

MyLifeIsChaotic Sat 15-Jan-11 09:50:53

Message withdrawn

HattiFattner Sat 15-Jan-11 09:51:33

how to cook beef in a slow cooker? No matter how long I cook it, its never as good as cooking it in the oven.

Oh and how to thicken sauces in a slow cooker?

KPee Sat 15-Jan-11 11:21:19

Please tell me where I can get his lovely gravey stock from, because EVIL tescos has stopped stocking it.angry

gibbberish Sat 15-Jan-11 12:12:31

Ooo how lovely! Hello antony!

Have your 'real family food' book and love it! (Your portion sizes are HUGE!) I have adapted some of the recipes to make in my slow cooker. (Have your dublin coddle in my slow cooker as I type. Yummm)

My question is about cooking recipes with rice in the slow cooker. I make a lamb pilaf which is delish and the recipe says to add the rice to the slow cooker half an hour before the meat finishes cooking. However I find that the rice is still hard after 30 mins. But I don't want to overdo the rice either as that will ruin the meal too

How long would you suggest I cook the rice for or do you think it should be cooked on the hob then mixed in with the meat?

Sorry for the long ramble for such a simple question!

arentfanny Sat 15-Jan-11 13:07:30

Any more pheasant recipes for the slow cooker, I have about 20 of them in the freezer.

dreamingofsun Sat 15-Jan-11 13:10:32

another request for family recipes for busy mums that don't need lots of preparation, or lots of obscure ingredients. i'm bored of the usual stews and curry and need new inspiration please.

love your family cooking book and also the weekend one

CMOTdibbler Sat 15-Jan-11 14:41:50

Do you have any good dumpling recipes that are gluten free ?

MollieO Sat 15-Jan-11 17:07:18

Recipes look excellent but why all the staring at the camera holiday snap photography?

I have a slow cooker, and I also have a pressure cooker. Both are appropriate on different types of occasions.

What's your view about these very different methods of cooking?

Suziewoos Sun 16-Jan-11 08:25:57

Hello AWT,
Met you at yr Bistro in Not hill a few years back on cooking course, sadly now just diagnosed as Pre-Diabetic. Please can you produce cookery book but without all the carbs your last one has?

PS Do you sell a new Pressure cooker?
Thanks
Sue

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 16-Jan-11 12:55:33

Hello all,

Antony's going to be making a pot roast chicken recipe from his Slow Cooking book before the webchat - if you'd like to try it, the recipe's here.

We hope to film it and then put up the video after the chat, so you can see how Antony prepares it.

Webchat starts at 1pm on Tues.

GoldFrakkincenseAndMyrrh Sun 16-Jan-11 13:13:06

Can you recommend some good seasonal Spring/Summer slowcooker dishes? Everything seems to be for autumn/winter and really heavy!

KangarooCaught Sun 16-Jan-11 16:18:08

Was given our 1st slow-cooker this Christmas, an apart from a very boozy mulled wine & a fab chili, everything else I've made, (chicken & beef so far) has been a disappointing mush. Added spices & got spicy mush! It just all tastes of one consistency & texture. Where am I going wrong?

knittiekitty Sun 16-Jan-11 18:33:57

How can I thicken the cooking sauce to serve the food up with? Although the stews are tasty and the meat tender the cooking liquid usually ends up really thin and my family don't enjoy 'wet' dinners.

eyeofhorus Sun 16-Jan-11 19:44:38

do you have a good recipe that uses bean/ chickpeas whereby you have pre-soaked them but not boiled them beforehand? ie, a good chickpea tagine or bean chilli. Something for us vegans anyway.....
Thanks!

LadyBlaBlah Sun 16-Jan-11 20:08:39

I thought this thread to be a joke in Little Britain stylee taking the piss out of women who are insanely and disproportionately arsed about doing menial chores. Seems I was rather wrong

<hides thread>

TheDailyWail Sun 16-Jan-11 21:52:52

how do you avoid bitter onions when you're trying to prepare a dish quickly?

We are looking for a reliable vegetarian slow cooker recipe - nothing too bizarre but something really tasty. Any ideas?

headfairy Sun 16-Jan-11 23:09:55

Hello Antony,

Can you tell me how I can avoid stews and casseroles done in the slow cooker all ending up as a homogenous mush? They all seem to taste the same and all vegetables lose any kind of bite. Is there a way of introducing some texture without losing the convenience of just being able to chuck it all in and leave it?

TIA x

deemented Mon 17-Jan-11 09:39:44

Hi Antony,

I use my slowcookers most days - i do everything from whole chickens to chocolate brownies to garlic bread in them and have even been known to make candles and soaps in them too grin but i still struggle with thickening things up. I usiually use cornflour, but find i'm using something like half a packet before it gets reasonably thick, and using meat that has been coated in flour hasn't worked for me either. I don't use excessive ammounts of water or stock, and have tried reducing it, but it's still not working for me.

Is it really nessacary for me to make a proper roux to thicken my sauces and stews, or is there another way?

HerBeatitude Mon 17-Jan-11 09:59:49

Why do green peppers (and red ones to a lesser extent) often end up tasting really bitter and vile when done in a slow cooker? How to avoid this?

SlubberdeGurnard Mon 17-Jan-11 12:33:10

Hi Antony.

I have some ox tail. Can you recommend a recipe that is a bit snazzier than just braised ox tail.

Thank you

walkingonthemoon Mon 17-Jan-11 13:21:56

Hi AWT - I'm a busy mum of two and also childminder-to-be and love using my slowcooker. However, I'm stuck in a rut and want some new recipes that are quick to prepare first thing in the morning (as no-time in the day), that little ones will like aswell as adults and are not too expensive... it's a 'holy grail' request but can you help?

I probably won't be around for the webchat but if you could answer me I'd appreciate it very much! Thanks.

ilovesprouts Mon 17-Jan-11 13:50:41

hello AWT ive never used my slow cooker whats the easyest thing to start cooking in it thanks

lukewarmmama Mon 17-Jan-11 14:06:48

Hiya - I've got a very large capacity slow cooker, bigger than I think most recipies are designed for. Does it matter? How would you adjust recipies for different size cookers?

solo Mon 17-Jan-11 16:04:10

Headfairy asked my question! grin thanks Headfairy!

TessOfTheDinnerbells Mon 17-Jan-11 16:14:23

Oooh I have got to make the most of this opportunity:

Hi Anthony,

Lovely to chat with you here!

Please could you tell me which recipe you would recommend for a pretty hopeless cook as a failsafe dinner party recipe. Would be great if it would suit any number of guests from 4-12.

Failing that, could I please have your mobile number in case of future emergencies? grin

TessOfTheDinnerbells Mon 17-Jan-11 16:15:28

Should I add that I don't own a slow cooker? blush

abgirl Mon 17-Jan-11 16:24:12

deemented have you tried thickening with gravy granules, worked very well when I tried it recently...

Lulumaam Mon 17-Jan-11 16:45:10

Hi Anthony..

I've recently seen a recipe for slow cooker porridge.. any other breakfast ideas , I love the idea of staggering downstairs bleary eyed and only having to lift the lid on the slow cooker and ta daaaaaaa, a hot cooked brekky !

also, any ideas for breast of lamb in the slow cooker.. it's such a great cheap cut, but so hard to do much with succesfully, i've found... so any ideas would be great

thank you very much

SylvanianFamily Mon 17-Jan-11 17:01:09

No question, but I think some sleb chef backing of slow cookers is way overdue. I was rolling on floor laughing watching Jamie Oliver's 'easy' recipes on his ministry of food program. I know he's got loads of kids - but I kinda get the idea he's never done any if his drizzling or wazzing with an inquisitive toddler and hungry baby around his ankles. I was very surprised he didn't mention slow cookers - given how cheap and easy a lot of slow cooker dishes are.

OK, I have a question - nay, a patented design suggestion. Why has no one launched a slow cooker with gadgets?

.... for example, a smaller inner dish suspended over the main one that you could use to steam rice or veggies to go with the main dish underneath?

.....Or a timer which is connected to the thermostat. I find I need different times in summer and winter, presumably because in a cold kitchen it takes longer for the cooker to heat up properly. I think an option of 'X hours from when the cookers reaches 60C' might be more reliable.

deemented Mon 17-Jan-11 17:06:20

abgirl - tried that, but i find it very salty tbh.

SylvanianFamily Mon 17-Jan-11 17:17:05

Red lentils? Cook down to mush, so you wouldn't know they were there, apart from the thickness.

fatpantsandgladrags Mon 17-Jan-11 17:40:24

Hi Anthony,

I am yet to christen my christmas slow cooker......what would you recommend as an easy recipe to start with? Any tips to make my inaugural voyage into the unknown a success? smile

If you only had 5 minutes to put something in the slow cooker before rushing out, what would you put in to ensure a tasty meal ready for your return? (No browning meat etc.)

bluebump Mon 17-Jan-11 19:31:51

No new question but just joining the ones above asking for some veggie/vegan ideas, I've not bought a slow cooker yet as I always saw them as more of a way to cook meat so I'm looking for inspiration really!

dawntigga Mon 17-Jan-11 20:53:09

Man I love my slow cooker! And AWT ain't bad either!

Lovely AWT, do you look at some tv chefs and think, just cook the bloody chicken? It doesn't need to be fannied about with every single time you cook!

I LOVE your beef book btw and use loads of recipes from that in my slow cooker with v cheap cuts of beef. I'm lucky that I still have access to a good, real, can do it for himself butcher!

BitTiredAndEmotionalAboutTVChefsAndWishesAWTWasOnM oreOftenTiggaxx

dietcokes Tue 18-Jan-11 07:03:03

Hi just a quick post as I dart out the door. Do you have any meals that really are all in one and can last 10hrs in slow cooker with minimal intervention at the end.

I don't want to be preparing things when I get home.
Thanks

utterlyslutterly Tue 18-Jan-11 07:39:41

Me again. I have one of those slow cookers that requires you to heat everything up in a pan before putting it in the slow cooker - which puts me off using it. Is there really a need to do this? Can I not leave the food in for an extra hour or so instead? There is only a high an low set on it.

Thanks X

JoyceBarnaby Tue 18-Jan-11 09:15:00

Hi Anthony,

How important do you think it is to brown meat before you put it in the slow cooker? Do you think it affects taste as well as appearance with all dishes?

Thanks! x

Another request for veggie recipes please - quorn chilli, bolognaise and soups are great in the slow cooker but what else can we do?
Thank you

LargeLatte Tue 18-Jan-11 10:46:47

Some of the mumsnet receipes sound yummy but don't require lots of liquid. All the books I have say I need to be putting in loads of liquid - like a pint, but that can make dinner look like the same old slop every night.

My slow cooker is a life saver as I need to dish dinner up for kids at 4pm, then for us at about 8pm but I fear if I serve one more stew my son will leave home.

Is it really OK to use a slow cooker without liquid?

dietcokes Tue 18-Jan-11 10:51:25

Also if time can you recommend what you would look for when purchasing a slow cooker as it is a question that is asked alot on MN.

molemesseskilledIpom Tue 18-Jan-11 11:20:02

Just a quick question.

I love Byriani but it takes ages to make on the stove. Can this be made in the slow cooker so I can just leave it to work it's magic?

Sorry I won't be able to be here for the chat sad - I have a hospital appointment right in the middle.

I look forward to answers to these questions, especially the ones asking for good vegetarian recipes.

HonestyBox Tue 18-Jan-11 12:18:49

Can you recommend a good method/recipe for a slow cooked chicken tagine including preserved lemons and green olives? My chicken never comes out as tender as it is at the Moroccan restaurant, should I be using chicken on the bone?

AddictedtoCrunchies Tue 18-Jan-11 12:30:18

DawnTigga - I've missed you.

AntonyWorrallThompson Tue 18-Jan-11 12:42:45

Test

TheSleepFairy Tue 18-Jan-11 12:54:33

Hello AWT Can you suggest some tasty puddings for the children that I can do in my s/c please.

Jules2011 Tue 18-Jan-11 13:03:08

Hello - I have an AGA which I am alowly getting used to and cooked lovely Lamb Shanks in it the other day with Rosemary and Shallots it was really tasty but it needed some sauce - how can I use the juices to make a sauce or do you suggest something else. Thank you.

Cappster Tue 18-Jan-11 13:03:32

Hello AWT, I'd like to know where a good resource is for recipes for slow cookers. Last time I bought a magazine which offered a 'slow cooker special' feature it was the old staples - soup, spag bol, etc.

And online, there are lots of recipes from US sites which all involve condensed soup confused

I seriously do not have room for any more actual books. If I buy any more I will have to take the sink out.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 18-Jan-11 13:03:39

We're delighted to be joining you 'on location' in Justine's kitchen where Antony is going to answer your questions and then preparing the 'Pot Roast Chicken' which we'll film and show on the site (we're arguing over who's going to be having it for tea grin). Everyone who joins in the webchat will be entered into a prize draw and five lucky winners will each receive a signed copy of Antony's book Slow Cooking. Welcome to Mumsnet, Antony...

AntonyWorrallThompson Tue 18-Jan-11 13:05:02

Hello, I'm here, ready for you all, questions don't have to be about cooking, I'm brave! Looking forward to my first visit to Mumsnet.

AntonyWorrallThompson Tue 18-Jan-11 13:08:03

Cappster

Hello AWT, I'd like to know where a good resource is for recipes for slow cookers. Last time I bought a magazine which offered a 'slow cooker special' feature it was the old staples - soup, spag bol, etc.

And online, there are lots of recipes from US sites which all involve condensed soup confused

I seriously do not have room for any more actual books. If I buy any more I will have to take the sink out.

Well, my book has just been published by Mitchell Beazley, and as a chef I always try to create more exciting recipes than your ordinary recipes. There's also slow cooking recipes for hob and oven. You'll still find one or two basics, but I try and be a bit more imaginative. For instance, on This Morning I did Keralan lamb shank curry. There's also North African curry with spiced fruits and nuts. But there are lots of vegetarian recipes and quite a few fish ones as well.

Blackduck Tue 18-Jan-11 13:08:52

Is it me,or do tomatoes smell weird when cooked in a slow cooker? I am put off by the 'smell' -- though usually tastes okay - any ideas?

AntonyWorrallThompson Tue 18-Jan-11 13:09:37

NumptyMum

Can you do whole chicken in a slow cooker? I do lots of casserole-type recipes that I love and which are great for the kids, but sometimes it's nice to cook plain meat to then use in a variety of things (and make stock from the leftovers/bones). I'd really like to be able to cook moist chicken rather than the dried out roast from my fan oven. My mum in the past made the most amazing chicken in her pressure-cooker; is it possible in a slow cooker?

The recipe I am doing today at Justine's house (see video later) you can cook a whole chicken, best thing is to get a 4 litre slow cooker to make sure that it will fit. The best thing about slow cooking is you can use the left over liquid for stock. A pressure cooker is the opposite but you can achieve similar results with practice.

Scootergrrrl Tue 18-Jan-11 13:09:42

Hi - do you really have to precook food before it goes into the slow cooker? It kind of takes away from the convenience of it all.

Hope they're being gentle with you in Justine's kitchen!

Guacamole Tue 18-Jan-11 13:10:51

Hello AWT, I don't have a slow cooker, I would like to buy one, but I need convincing that I will actually use it! I can see how they're brilliant in the winter for stews and what not, but what could you possibly cook in one in the summer? Thank you! Guacamole

AntonyWorrallThompson Tue 18-Jan-11 13:10:54

Lulumaam

Hi Anthony..

I've recently seen a recipe for slow cooker porridge.. any other breakfast ideas , I love the idea of staggering downstairs bleary eyed and only having to lift the lid on the slow cooker and ta daaaaaaa, a hot cooked brekky !

also, any ideas for breast of lamb in the slow cooker.. it's such a great cheap cut, but so hard to do much with succesfully, i've found... so any ideas would be great

thank you very much

There's a recipe for kedgeree in my book. Porridge would be tricky because the ideal time would be 3 hours which isn't great if you're sleeping! You can add lots of different things though, which is what's great about porridge. For the weekend breakfast, I like a Vegetable and red pepper gratin. There's also a spiced rice in the book, which would be great with a poached egg on top!
Jam's also excellent in the slow cooker.

I love using my slow cooker but only ever seem to use mince or beef in it. I've tried using chicken but it always seems to go dry. The only success I've had using chicken in it is to sit the chicken breasts on top of everything. Is there any other way to stop it going dry?

AntonyWorrallThompson Tue 18-Jan-11 13:12:03

Blackduck

Is it me,or do tomatoes smell weird when cooked in a slow cooker? I am put off by the 'smell' -- though usually tastes okay - any ideas?

How new is the slow cooker?! There's always a weird smell from new equipment. Not normally a problem, but what are you cooking?

CMOTdibbler Tue 18-Jan-11 13:12:11

Are any of the recipes in your book gluten free or easily adaptable ?

no1chick Tue 18-Jan-11 13:12:56

which is best pressure or slow cooker!!!?

AntonyWorrallThompson Tue 18-Jan-11 13:12:59

NatalieCallaghan

Odd question. I am on a plan which doesn't allow me to mix root veg with my chicken, so I was wondering whether I could put a whole chicken into the slow cooker WITHOUT liquid? I assume it would still come out as tender and juicy?

No, you have to use liquid with a slow cooker or the chicken will dry out, it doesn't need to be a lot. Your question about root vegetables is a tricky one, as they are the basis of most slow cooker recipes, but if you get a good stock and add green veg at the end you can achieve the results you are looking for.

AntonyWorrallThompson Tue 18-Jan-11 13:13:37

Jules2011

Hello - I have an AGA which I am alowly getting used to and cooked lovely Lamb Shanks in it the other day with Rosemary and Shallots it was really tasty but it needed some sauce - how can I use the juices to make a sauce or do you suggest something else. Thank you.

It depends which oven you're using, but your slow oven on the Aga will act like a slow cooker, so any slow cooking recipes will suit. If you're cooking lamb shank, I would always suggest a liquidy stew base, because you'll be cooking the shank long and slow and you want it to keep moist.

AntonyWorrallThompson Tue 18-Jan-11 13:15:17

dawntigga

Man I love my slow cooker! And AWT ain't bad either!

Lovely AWT, do you look at some tv chefs and think, just cook the bloody chicken? It doesn't need to be fannied about with every single time you cook!

I LOVE your beef book btw and use loads of recipes from that in my slow cooker with v cheap cuts of beef. I'm lucky that I still have access to a good, real, can do it for himself butcher!

BitTiredAndEmotionalAboutTVChefsAndWishesAWTWasOnM oreOftenTiggaxx

Thank you for the compliments! You're right, of course, so many chefs on telly think they have to entertain rather than teach. I try and do a bit of both, but a chicken is a chick, it needs cooking!

Keep supporting your local butcher, they're vital and they need all the help they can get!

AntonyWorrallThompson Tue 18-Jan-11 13:16:23

chimchar

hello mr awt!

any tips on adapting cooking times so that i can do "normal" recipes in my slowcooker?

also, any favorite child friendly slowcooker dishes please?

thank you!

Most normal Recipes will work in a slow cooker on a braise or slow cook basis, the trick is you only need half the liquid of a normal recipe. The recipe that I am cooking today (Pot-roast chicken)is very child friendly. (video will be up in the next few days)

mangoandlime Tue 18-Jan-11 13:16:57

Hello AWT

I have your slow cooker, it's ace.

What's you favourite soup recipe for the slow cooker?

Mango

Blackduck Tue 18-Jan-11 13:17:19

Oh, do I get a second question? Usually curries - it is fairly new so maybe that is it. Would like to know the answer to the precooking question too!

AntonyWorrallThompson Tue 18-Jan-11 13:17:19

bitzermaloney

If you only had 5 minutes to put something in the slow cooker before rushing out, what would you put in to ensure a tasty meal ready for your return? (No browning meat etc.)

Chicken! Anything with chicken, really, it doesn't need browning. Browning will add to the flavour though. Throw in a few root vegetable, roughly diced and some good stock, maybe a splash of wine, and let it all come together.
Remember, in a slow cooker, root vegetables often take longer than the meat to cook, so place them around the perimeter of the slow cooker.

solo Tue 18-Jan-11 13:18:22

Phew! just made it! Hello AWT grin
Has my Headfairy had her question answered yet?

AntonyWorrallThompson Tue 18-Jan-11 13:18:28

mummyplonk

Are there any Fish/Seafood stews that are safe to cook slowly, we love fish but I don't want to poison anyone?

In my new book Slow Cooking there are several fish recipes, Spanish fish stew and Fish in saffron are great. On page 108 you will find The not-so-classic fish pie. If the fish is fresh, you won't poison anyone.

NessaRose Tue 18-Jan-11 13:18:31

I had a disaster the first (and only time) I used my slow cooker, I tried to do a pork belly and apple casserole, the apple went all mushy and the pork was not cooked through. (I followed the cooking guidelines that said to cook for 8 hours on high.) What did I do wrong?

AntonyWorrallThompson Tue 18-Jan-11 13:20:09

dietcokes

Also if time can you recommend what you would look for when purchasing a slow cooker as it is a question that is asked alot on MN.

I would always buy the largest possible, with an oval base, rather than round, since oval suits poultry and legs of lamb etc. Also, get a glass lid so you can see what's going on without breaking the seal. You can also buy a slow cooker with lots of settings - not just low and high. you might want a 'medium', 'keep warm' or even 'brown'. Unless you cook for few people, i would always recommend the largest one.

no1chick Tue 18-Jan-11 13:21:33

which meat is easier to slow cook?

AntonyWorrallThompson Tue 18-Jan-11 13:22:06

Carrotsandcelery

We are looking for a reliable vegetarian slow cooker recipe - nothing too bizarre but something really tasty. Any ideas?

This is to everyone else who's asked about vegetarian recipes. In the book, we've got a chickpea and vegetable curry, onions stuffed with tomatoes, garlic and mozzarella or Italian leek stew. Keep watching the thread and we'll upload a recipe or two.

AntonyWorrallThompson Tue 18-Jan-11 13:22:42

lagrandissima

I'd like advice on what to do with whole joints of meat. I'm nervous about cooking pork particularly in the slow cooker, as I can't believe the 'high' setting is high enough to cook the meat thoroughly. How do you do it? Ideally I'd like the meat to fall apart in threads, yummy.

The great thing about slow cookers is that meat, cooked well, will be very tender. Any joint of meat will be suitable but ideally use the cheaper cuts. Don't worry about cooking pork for long enough, it is ok to be cooked long and slow according to my recipes.

CuppaTeaJanice Tue 18-Jan-11 13:22:51

You asked for non-foody questions...

You are a patron of the pro-smoking lobby group Forest (according to Wikipedia).

If it weren't now illegal, would you prefer your restaurants to allow customers to smoke at the table? And do you not find the smells/tastes of a smoky atmosphere conflicts with the delicious and often delicate flavours that you are presumably trying to create in your dishes (or maybe you think it enhances it)?

Not anti-smoking, by the way, just interested in your opinions on experiencing smoke and food together. Seems a bit like listening to an i-pod at a concert in terms of conflicting sensations!

aristocat Tue 18-Jan-11 13:23:17

hi AWT

just wanted to say that you were fantastic when you did I'm a Celebrity Get me out of here!

do you have a yummy cake recipe for the slow cooker?

Calypso Tue 18-Jan-11 13:23:44

Hi Antony, Why is slow cooking healthier than normal cooking? Doesn't all the goodness go out of the vegetables and into the stock?

feetheart Tue 18-Jan-11 13:24:04

I make rice pudding and steamed puddings in my slow cooker. Any other nice pudding recipes please?

AntonyWorrallThompson Tue 18-Jan-11 13:25:00

headfairy

Hello Antony,

Can you tell me how I can avoid stews and casseroles done in the slow cooker all ending up as a homogenous mush? They all seem to taste the same and all vegetables lose any kind of bite. Is there a way of introducing some texture without losing the convenience of just being able to chuck it all in and leave it?

TIA x

Here I would suggest you're either buying meat that's pre-cut in small pieces, or you've got too much liquid. Try cutting the chunks of veg and meat into slightly larger chunks. On a low setting it's almost impossible to overcook the food. Normally I would place the meat in the centre of the cooker and the veg on the outside. Always remember if you're using green veg they should go in at the end on a high setting, root vegetables on a low setting.

AntonyWorrallThompson Tue 18-Jan-11 13:25:50

HattiFattner

how to cook beef in a slow cooker? No matter how long I cook it, its never as good as cooking it in the oven.

Oh and how to thicken sauces in a slow cooker?

Using beef in a slow cooker will always be a different flavour from that high caramelised oven taste. A good piece of beef will take the best part of 8-10 hours. Thickening sauces is a good question, most chefs would advise a reducing method, turn cooker up to a high setting and reduce slowly, falling that cornflour!

Guacamole Tue 18-Jan-11 13:26:19

aristo can you make cake in a slow cooker, never? I don't believe it! Really?

AntonyWorrallThompson Tue 18-Jan-11 13:26:45

Scootergrrrl

Hi - do you really have to precook food before it goes into the slow cooker? It kind of takes away from the convenience of it all.

Hope they're being gentle with you in Justine's kitchen!

All five of them have been extremely gentle with me. So far...

Of course you can chuck everything in without pre-browning but you won't get the same flavour. The browning gives a wonderful caramelised flavour to the liquid content. Perhaps think about becoming a vegetarian... they don't need any browning!

no1chick Tue 18-Jan-11 13:27:31

will you be bringing out a regular cook book antony for the summer bbq season!!?

solo Tue 18-Jan-11 13:28:22

Not a recipe question, but as you said you are brave....

Have you given up smoking in the kitchen yet?

<sorry! blush>

deemented Tue 18-Jan-11 13:28:29

I always cook my chicken whole in the slow cooker but without water or stock - i simply stand it on a couple of balls of tin foil or some root veg, sprinkle some salt and pepper and maybe some dried sage over it and put it on high for an hour then low for about six hours - it's never dried out yet, in fact the meat is always tender and moist, so am a bit confused as to why you'd say it'd dry out?

AntonyWorrallThompson Tue 18-Jan-11 13:28:58

TheSleepFairy

Hello AWT Can you suggest some tasty puddings for the children that I can do in my s/c please.

In my new book, Slow Cooking, I have a few offerings for you - how about a chocolate saucy pudding, a chocolate baked cheesecake with a brownie twist, maple cream caramel, treacle sponge, jamaican coconut bananas (leave out the rum on that one)... the list goes on!

AntonyWorrallThompson Tue 18-Jan-11 13:30:40

SecretNutellaFix

I'm always a bit concerned about the amount of liquid to use.
Do you find that the majority of recipes say to use too much liquid? Or is the reason my food is runny because I have the cooker on too long. What tips would you give, as I have to leave mine on for 9hrs+ due to working day and no way of getting home at lunchtime to switch it on then.

If you have a good slow cooking book (like mine) you will find a section at the beginning called Slow Cooker, All you need to know. If you read this section, it will give you the basis for most slow cooker recipes. The key point is the liquid content is half that of a normal recipe, you can't, on a slow setting overcook any food, so if you are late home the food won't be ruined.

AntonyWorrallThompson Tue 18-Jan-11 13:31:14

CuppaTeaJanice

You asked for non-foody questions...

You are a patron of the pro-smoking lobby group Forest (according to Wikipedia).

If it weren't now illegal, would you prefer your restaurants to allow customers to smoke at the table? And do you not find the smells/tastes of a smoky atmosphere conflicts with the delicious and often delicate flavours that you are presumably trying to create in your dishes (or maybe you think it enhances it)?

Not anti-smoking, by the way, just interested in your opinions on experiencing smoke and food together. Seems a bit like listening to an i-pod at a concert in terms of conflicting sensations!

Just before I reply, Forest is not pro-smoking, but pro-freedom of choice.

I wouldn't like the law changed back for restaurants as I don't think you can enjoy a good meal with smoke surrounding you. But I do think pubs should have a smoking facility rather than ostracising many of their hardcore drinkers. As adults, we always have the right to choose and if you don't like the pub, you can always choose another one. Pubs are, after all, meant to be centres of adult social entertainment.

TracyK Tue 18-Jan-11 13:33:12

Hi
I read on an earlier thread to chop meat/veg into larger chunks.
What size should the chunks of say beef or chicken be?

AntonyWorrallThompson Tue 18-Jan-11 13:33:33

no1chick

will you be bringing out a regular cook book antony for the summer bbq season!!?

Give me a break, I've just finished two other ones! wink Low Fat Cooking and my latest, Slow Cooking. However, if you go to amazon, you'll find my bestselling Barbequeing and Grilling book published by Kyle Cathie.

deemented Tue 18-Jan-11 13:35:02

Guacamole - I make the most amazing choclate brownie mug cakes in my SC. Divine!

insertexpletive Tue 18-Jan-11 13:35:05

Hello and welcome to MN - hope you are enjoying the insanity experience.

Quick question about frozen food. Does frozen veg etc always need to be defrosted first. regardless of low or high setting?

AntonyWorrallThompson Tue 18-Jan-11 13:35:07

no1chick

which meat is easier to slow cook?

Tricky question! Probably chicken, but in this healthy world we live in, I can't possibly mention... the fattier the better! Either shoulder or belly of pork I'd say. Fat is where the flavour is! As a tip, you can always pre-cook, cool and refrigerate then skim the solidified fat off the top before reheating.

AntonyWorrallThompson Tue 18-Jan-11 13:36:53

NessaRose

I had a disaster the first (and only time) I used my slow cooker, I tried to do a pork belly and apple casserole, the apple went all mushy and the pork was not cooked through. (I followed the cooking guidelines that said to cook for 8 hours on high.) What did I do wrong?

Where do I start? Which apples did you use? Big mistake if you used Bramleys because they turn into sauce... High cooking is really for big joints and finishing off dishes, not for a casserole, where presumably you diced the meat. So I suggest using a Low setting and a dessert apple such as Cox or Granny Smith in big chunks. Hope that helps!

TheSleepFairy Tue 18-Jan-11 13:37:06

deemented could you share the recipe with me us?

mangoandlime Tue 18-Jan-11 13:37:07

Do you have a book you could recommend on slow cooking? wink

Guacamole Tue 18-Jan-11 13:38:52

Right deemented if I can make cake in a slow cooker I am definitely buying one, is your recipe in the Mumsnet recipe section?

AntonyWorrallThompson Tue 18-Jan-11 13:39:26

insertexpletive

Hello and welcome to MN - hope you are enjoying the insanity experience.

Quick question about frozen food. Does frozen veg etc always need to be defrosted first. regardless of low or high setting?

Enjoying myself thoroughly, surrounded by all these gorgeous laydees!

In answer to your question, not really. You add green veg at the end of cooking with a High setting normally, so they will defrost and cook quite quickly. Vegetables like broad beans, or edamame beans can be given longer cooking anyway and the remaining frozen vegetables, to my knowledge, have been pre-blanched and need very little cooking.

deemented Tue 18-Jan-11 13:39:45

Don't want to hog AWT's webchat so i'll put a thread in recipes later smile

aristocat Tue 18-Jan-11 13:41:05

Guacamole yes cakes usually turn out well ...... love the idea of Dees brownies in a mug

solo Tue 18-Jan-11 13:41:22

Oooh! an honourary MNetter obviously ~ using laydees wink

NessaRose Tue 18-Jan-11 13:41:36

blush Opps I did use Bramleys.
Right I will try again and do follow your advice. Thank you.

Housemum Tue 18-Jan-11 13:41:53

My shelves are groaning under the weight of cookbooks, give me something to tempt me with your one - I do a Butter Chicken recipe in my slow cooker, but other than that it is just (like Fairy said above) vaguely weird tasting beef casserole, not sure what I'm doing wrong. What non-mushy, non casseroled recipes are in your book to make me want it?

AntonyWorrallThompson Tue 18-Jan-11 13:42:04

LoveBeingADaddysGirl

Hi AWT

what can I cook in my slow cooker that's not a boring chick tombased stew (prefer no bones)?

And a checky second question which celeb chef would you like to see slowcooked?

grin

To your second question... That's really easy! Even after slow cooking, he's still going to be very gristly and tough, but that's the best I can offer for Gordon Ramsay.
Have a look in my new book for a large variety of different recipes!

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Tue 18-Jan-11 13:44:55

Can you cook brown rice in the slow cooker?

I have a book which includes a couple of recipes using white and wild rice combined, which work well. But I would really love to be able to cook brown rice, to make something similar to Fay Ripleys one pot chicken

AntonyWorrallThompson Tue 18-Jan-11 13:45:37

molemesseskilledIpom

Just a quick question.

I love Byriani but it takes ages to make on the stove. Can this be made in the slow cooker so I can just leave it to work it's magic?

My new book has got a recipe for Turkey meatballs with tomato rice pilaf, which is very similar. But even in a slow cooker, ordinary rice generally only takes about 40 minutes, so you can't really leave it for very long. I can help you do a Biryani - sweat the onions with the spices first in a non-flavoured oil, then add your protein, whatever it is, with your rice. Toss to combine, then add 1 1/2 times by volume the amount of rice you have in stock or water. Then place a wet piece of greaseproof paper on top of the rice, then a lid. Pop into a 190 oven, cook for 18 minutes. Remove from oven but don't lift the lid for 5 minutes. Then give it a stir and all the liquid should have evaporated.

AntonyWorrallThompson Tue 18-Jan-11 13:45:59

Treacle Sponge

Ingredients
3 tbsp Golden syrup
175g (6oz) unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
1 tbsp fresh white breadcrumbs juice of 1 and a half lemons
175g (6oz) caster sugar
Grated zest of 1 unwaxed organic lemon
3 eggs beaten
200g (7oz) self-raising flour
About 3 tbsp milk

To serve
Custard or cream

1. Place the golden syrup in a buttered 1.2 litre (2 pint) pudding basin with the breadcrumbs and juice of half a lemon.

2. To make the sponge: place the butter and sugar in a bowl and gently cream the together until pale, using an electric whisk. Mix in the lemon rind and then slowly whisk in alternate spoonfuls of beaten egg and flour until both have been used up. Fold in reminder of the lemon juice and just enough milk for the mixture to drop easily from the spoon.

3. Spoon the sponge mixture over the syrup in the pudding basin. Cover with a circle of greaseproof paper, pleated in the centre to allow room for expansion while cooking. Place a double piece of buttered foil on top and secure with string, making a handle so that you can easily lift the basin.

4. Place the pudding on an upturned plate or saucer inside your slow cooker, and pour in enough boiling water to come two-thirds up the side of the basin. Cover and cook on high for 3 and a quarter to 4 hours, until the skewer comes out clean. Occasionally, as the water evaporates, top-up with boiling water.

5. Remove the pudding basin from the slow cooker and allow to cool slightly. Cut away the string and remove the foil and greaseproof paper. Invert the treacle sponge onto a serving plate, ensuring that all the syrup comes out from the bottom of the basin. Serve with cream or custard.

AntonyWorrallThompson Tue 18-Jan-11 13:47:12

Calypso

Hi Antony, Why is slow cooking healthier than normal cooking? Doesn't all the goodness go out of the vegetables and into the stock?

Nobody ever said it was, did they?! It's just a convenient way of putting your supper on before you leave for work. However, because the lid creates a seal you do trap all the goodness in the pot. But healthy can only be based on the contents you're cooking with. If you use fatty products, you're going to die... one day! wink

aristocat Tue 18-Jan-11 13:47:27

thank you smile

deemented Tue 18-Jan-11 13:48:03

AWT - can i just ask, what's the best way to thicken a sauce using cornflour? I always end up using loads of it and it's still never quite thick enough.

Hi AWT and welcome!

I am a bit squirmish about meat on the bone and have so far been unable to find a recipe for chicken that uses boneless breasts (say)... so all I cook in my SC is beef casserole (nice but snore!).
Do you have any suggestions as to how I could include boneless chicken (skinless preferably) in SC recipes?

Thank you

lily06 Tue 18-Jan-11 13:49:00

As a rule, when making any type of stew / casserole in the slow coooker, does the liquid need to cover the rest of the contents?

AntonyWorrallThompson Tue 18-Jan-11 13:49:47

jonicomelately

Brilliant.

Bless your little cotton socks MNHQ for listening to us smile

My question is do you have a recipe which is posh and impressive enough to serve to friends?

Thanks Anthony smile

Thanks for your comments, I usually wear wool. Or none at all

In answer to your food question, how about Arabian roast lamb and potatoes - deeeelicious. Or braised hare with tolosa beans? Or pot-roasted partridge with cider and Calvados?
You'll find lots more glamorous recipes in the book!

molemesseskilledIpom Tue 18-Jan-11 13:50:50

AWT..Thank you!!

You star! I'm going to try that this weekend.

jonicomelately Tue 18-Jan-11 13:51:26

Thank you Antony.
He seems really nice smile

insertexpletive Tue 18-Jan-11 13:51:39

Thank you smile

Love the Treacle Sponge recipe
<<tries to remember that I am on a diet and such lovely stuff is not allowed>>

AntonyWorrallThompson Tue 18-Jan-11 13:51:53

deemented

AWT - can i just ask, what's the best way to thicken a sauce using cornflour? I always end up using loads of it and it's still never quite thick enough.

Well, cornflour needs the liquid to be boiling to work effectively, but on the other hand, if you boil it too long, it will revert back to being a thin sauce. With a slow cooker and lots of experimenting, I've found using the normal measurements for the amount of liquid you're trying to thicken works on a high setting.

deemented Tue 18-Jan-11 13:52:58

Non SC question now - Did you enjoy doing Ready Steady Cook?

no1chick Tue 18-Jan-11 13:53:13

Bless you antony we love your food when my kids have cooking at school i always send them in with your recipes hopin one day they will be as goood as you x

AntonyWorrallThompson Tue 18-Jan-11 13:53:28

crazybutterflylady

Hi AWT and welcome!

I am a bit squirmish about meat on the bone and have so far been unable to find a recipe for chicken that uses boneless breasts (say)... so all I cook in my SC is beef casserole (nice but snore!).
Do you have any suggestions as to how I could include boneless chicken (skinless preferably) in SC recipes?

Thank you

I have some recipes for using boneless thighs and chicken breasts in my new book, for example Aromatic chicken with orange, or Jerk chicken?

deemented Tue 18-Jan-11 13:54:23

Fab, thank you!

solo Tue 18-Jan-11 13:54:37

Thank you for the treacle sponge recipe...

AntonyWorrallThompson Tue 18-Jan-11 13:55:09

arentfanny

Any more pheasant recipes for the slow cooker, I have about 20 of them in the freezer.

You could take the breasts off and use anything you'd use chicken breast for, or the same with the thighs, but never use the drumsticks and carcass except for making a good stock or soup. The drumsticks are incredibly sinewy and no amount of slow cooking is going to help.
We'll post a partridge recipe in a sec!

NessaRose Tue 18-Jan-11 13:57:04

Thans for the treacle sponge recipe I will try that one tonight. grin

AntonyWorrallThompson Tue 18-Jan-11 13:57:28

GoldFrakkincenseAndMyrrh

Can you recommend some good seasonal Spring/Summer slowcooker dishes? Everything seems to be for autumn/winter and really heavy!

This is also to Guacamole.
The nature of the beast means that recipes generally will be winter comfort food, but I have recipes such as smoked fish terrine, baked eggs with leeks and tomato, caramelised pork ribs with bourbon and ginger, or braised squid with peas and potatoes.

AntonyWorrallThompson Tue 18-Jan-11 13:58:57

deemented

Non SC question now - Did you enjoy doing Ready Steady Cook?

Yes, loved every minute of the 13 years that I was on there! I particularly loved beating Brian Turner and I think I'm the only person to have beaten your blue-eyed boy Gino Di'Campo, but I'm sure he'll never admit it!
In all seriousness, it started my TV career, and I have to thank it every day.

jonicomelately Tue 18-Jan-11 13:59:17

Baked eggs with leeks and tomato sounds divine....

solo Tue 18-Jan-11 14:00:46

Prefer you to Gino anyway Antony! wink <throws a kiss>

soremummy Tue 18-Jan-11 14:00:56

If I was to cook about a 3lb piece of beef in the slow cooker how much liquid should I use and do I need to seal it first cooking on low how long would it take? Thanks

insertexpletive Tue 18-Jan-11 14:01:32

Solo - you are such a flirt!!

AntonyWorrallThompson Tue 18-Jan-11 14:01:36

Housemum

My shelves are groaning under the weight of cookbooks, give me something to tempt me with your one - I do a Butter Chicken recipe in my slow cooker, but other than that it is just (like Fairy said above) vaguely weird tasting beef casserole, not sure what I'm doing wrong. What non-mushy, non casseroled recipes are in your book to make me want it?

Can you match the 6000 books I have? And I've read every one.
How about poached figs with blackberries, or a spiced apple terrine in yoghurt. Or then there's baked lebanese fruit with blue cheese, or a really nice beef rendang. Is that enough ideas? Have you ever heard of Ghugni? If not, you'll find it in my book, that's my tease...

AntonyWorrallThompson Tue 18-Jan-11 14:02:39

TracyK

Hi
I read on an earlier thread to chop meat/veg into larger chunks.
What size should the chunks of say beef or chicken be?

I'm an old boy, so I would say 1 1/2 inches, but you would probably say 4 cm. Unfortunately most supermarket meat is about 1 1/2 cm. Another reason to go to your local butcher!

solo Tue 18-Jan-11 14:03:16

I'm practising insertexpletive. I've been single for far oo long. grin

AntonyWorrallThompson Tue 18-Jan-11 14:03:27

solo

Not a recipe question, but as you said you are brave....

Have you given up smoking in the kitchen yet?

<sorry! blush>

Never in the kitchen! But.. what day of the week is it? It's in my plans, but then so is going to the top of Everest. Fingers crossed

solo Tue 18-Jan-11 14:03:30

too long too!

AntonyWorrallThompson Tue 18-Jan-11 14:04:41

aristocat

hi AWT

just wanted to say that you were fantastic when you did I'm a Celebrity Get me out of here!

do you have a yummy cake recipe for the slow cooker?

Thank you for your kind comments. you're right it's not easy making cakes in the slow cooker. But I did do a delicious chocolate-baked cheesecake with a brownie twist. Give it a shot!

solo Tue 18-Jan-11 14:04:50

Well good luck sweetie! kissing is more pleasant that way you know! wink

Justine, please don't tell Jamie.

AntonyWorrallThompson Tue 18-Jan-11 14:05:38

deemented

Guacamole - I make the most amazing choclate brownie mug cakes in my SC. Divine!

Send me some of your brownies, they sound delicious - also I'd love to hear the secret behind your slow cooker soap!

AntonyWorrallThompson Tue 18-Jan-11 14:06:24

MollieO

Recipes look excellent but why all the staring at the camera holiday snap photography?

What can I say? It was a woman behind the camera and us men always do what we're told, don't we guys? (Off the record, I agree it's a bit cheesy)

insertexpletive Tue 18-Jan-11 14:06:46

lol Solo - So, is it Jamie or Paul or Anthony?

You can't have them all you know wink

Guacamole Tue 18-Jan-11 14:08:43

Thank you AWT, I'm sold and will be buying a slow cooker forthwith! Cakes and cheesecakes in the summer, stews and treacle sponges in the winter.

insertexpletive Tue 18-Jan-11 14:08:44

AWT - have to say that your recipes sound fab - just waiting to see if I win a book before raiding the dc's piggy banks to buy a copy!

grandmabet Tue 18-Jan-11 14:09:02

Hi Ant

My daughter has said that I am an "atrocious cook" because I do not follow the recipe. Are you one of those who follow rigidly or, like me, do you improvise - and who do you think is the wiser?

AntonyWorrallThompson Tue 18-Jan-11 14:09:12

TessOfTheDinnerbells

Oooh I have got to make the most of this opportunity:

Hi Anthony,

Lovely to chat with you here!

Please could you tell me which recipe you would recommend for a pretty hopeless cook as a failsafe dinner party recipe. Would be great if it would suit any number of guests from 4-12.

Failing that, could I please have your mobile number in case of future emergencies? grin

Mobile number is 999.

A failsafe is making a slash inside a big chicken breast, inserting a mixture of parmesan, mozzarella, ricotta and basil and wrapping it all in a couple of slices of parma ham. Secure with a toothpick if required (I never do). Pan fry until golden and pop in the oven for 15 mins. Serve with pasta (penne or spaghetti) tossed with garlic, parsley and chilli and lots of olive oil. Piece of cake (or not, as the case may be).

AntonyWorrallThompson Tue 18-Jan-11 14:10:53

grandmabet

Hi Ant

My daughter has said that I am an "atrocious cook" because I do not follow the recipe. Are you one of those who follow rigidly or, like me, do you improvise - and who do you think is the wiser?

I am like you, improvising all the time, except for puds, pastries and bread, where I think you have to be fairly rigid with your measurements. However, I've never been accused of being atrocious... so maybe we're not quite the same! Keep smiling and tell them those little burnt bits are vanilla seeds!

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 18-Jan-11 14:10:54

Wow, that went quick. We've come to the end of the hour (and we're all starving!) so big thanks to you all for joining in this culinary webchat. We'll be posting up a few more recipes from the book on this thread and will announce the winners of the 5 signed copies of Antony's new book, Slow Cooking, tomorrow morning. Later in the week we will be showing the film of Antony preparing Pot Roast Chicken(and you can all have a nosy at Justine's kitchen smile). Huge thanks to Antony for joining us.

Housemum Tue 18-Jan-11 14:12:51

Did I miss the competition details somewhere, just had a quick look on the comps page and couldn't see anything?

NessaRose Tue 18-Jan-11 14:12:51

Thanks Antony.

AntonyWorrallThompson Tue 18-Jan-11 14:13:03

Thanks everyone, it's been a great experience, lovely questions, which was a shame! I wanted you to do a Gordon Brown on me. By the way, my favourite biscuit is a chocolate Hobnob [controversial]. Seriously, I've loved being with you all and would love to come back soon. Look out for my pot roast chicken video, coming soon to a website near you!

deemented Tue 18-Jan-11 14:13:09

Fab!! Thanks AWT!

AntonyWorrallThompson Tue 18-Jan-11 14:14:11

Pot-roasted partridge with cider and Calvados.

Ingredients
55g (2oz) butter
4 Partridge
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 medium onion, diced
85g (3oz) bacon lardons
1 celery stick, coarsely chopped
1 carrot, coarsely chopped
4 sage sprigs
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and cut into large chunks
60ml (2fl oz) Calvados, plus 2 tbsp
300ml (half pint) dry cider
150ml (quarter of a pint) double cream
4 tbsp finely chopped flat leaf parsley
1 tsp finely chopped tarragon

to serve
buttered cabbage
new potatoes

1. Melt the butter in a large frying pan. Season the partridge and fry over a medium heat until pale and golden all over. Remove with tongs and place in your slow cooker.

2. Add the onion, lardons, celery, carrot and sage sprigs to the frying pan and cook over a medium heat for about 8 minutes, until the onion is soft and translucent and the lardons are crispy. Carefully pour off any excess fat that has emerged from the lardons, then add the vegetable mixture into the slow cooker.

3. Sprinkle over the apple chunks, then pour over 60ml (2fl oz) Calvados. Set the Calvados alight, then once the flames have died down, add the cider. Cover the cooker with the lid and cook on low for 4-6 hours until the meat is cooked.

4. Push the sauce through a fine-meshed sieve into a bowl. Pour this strained sauce back into the slow cooker, add 2 tbsp Calvados, increase the heat to high and cook, uncovered, for 20 mins. Add the cream and whisk together. Cover and cook for a further 10 minutes until the sauce is creamy and slightly thickened. Fold in the parsley and tarragon and season to taste.

5. Spoon the sauce over the partridge and serve with buttered cabbage and new potatoes.

Serving suggestion
Peel and core 450g (1lb) Cox's apples and cut into 8 segments. Pan-fry in 25g (1oz) unsalted butter with 55g (2oz) soft dark brown sugar over a medium heat for about 8 minute, turning from time to time, until golden.
Serve immediately with the partridge.

Guacamole Tue 18-Jan-11 14:14:24

I do love a cooking webchat! Only problem, I'm now starving!

solo Tue 18-Jan-11 14:14:26

Erm...you've put me on the spot there insertexpletive. Who's the tallest?! grin

futurity Tue 18-Jan-11 14:14:44

Also missed the competition details?

Thanks AWT..has made me look at my slow cooker in new light!

solo Tue 18-Jan-11 14:15:30

Thanks Antony. Come back soon.x

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 18-Jan-11 14:17:28

Futurity, we're going to be pulling names out of a hat for all those who joined in the webchat and the winners will each receive a signed copy of Antony's new book.

aristocat Tue 18-Jan-11 14:17:55

thank you Antony smile some fab ideas here today

PaisleyLeaf Tue 18-Jan-11 14:18:28

Oh what a nice bloke.
I'm sorry I missed that...and the chance to win the book - kedgeree! wow.

solo Tue 18-Jan-11 14:19:33

Crosses fingers. And arms, legs, toes...grin

futurity Tue 18-Jan-11 14:21:24

oops...should of posted...I followed the whole thing but was trying to work at the same time

insertexpletive Tue 18-Jan-11 14:26:06

solo think that would have to be Paul McKenna - if not, he will hypnotise you into thinking so grin

deemented Tue 18-Jan-11 14:27:18

Have just posted the brownie in a mug recipe in the recipe section smile

insertexpletive Tue 18-Jan-11 14:29:12

Ohh Deemented - thanks for that

insertexpletive Tue 18-Jan-11 14:31:17

Can't find it sad

Housemum Tue 18-Jan-11 14:34:05

nor me - can only find the microwave brownie mug one

Housemum Tue 18-Jan-11 14:34:45

aha - here it is

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Tue 18-Jan-11 14:36:08
notapizzaeater Tue 18-Jan-11 14:41:23

Missed the chat but just been and ordered his book off Amazon smile

solo Tue 18-Jan-11 14:45:01

Insert, are you going next month?
I promise I'm not that bad and if I had the choice, it'd be Jamie...grin

TessOfTheDinnerbells Tue 18-Jan-11 15:15:06

What a lovely man bear.

Thank you AWT for not making me feel inadequate! smile

Thanks MN. I love these webchats!

P.S. AWT is one of the few chefs that I don't actually own a book by. PLEASE let me win a copy & I promise to give it a try.

insertexpletive Tue 18-Jan-11 15:16:07

Solo - yes am going next month. Really looking forward to it!

I must come over to your thread and see what you are all plotting grin

solo Tue 18-Jan-11 15:51:55

Excellent! look forward to saying hello to you! grin

jonicomelately Tue 18-Jan-11 16:33:50

He posted the Partridge recipe he suggested for my dinner party question. What a really nice man. And he seems to get that not all of us have the time or talent to do cheffy stuff smile

HerBeX Tue 18-Jan-11 21:59:04

oh damn he didn't answer my question on green peppers.

Does anyone else know the answer?

HerBeX Tue 18-Jan-11 21:59:42

Question was why do green peppers usually taste vile when slow cooked

solo Tue 18-Jan-11 22:32:58

I try not to use green peppers anymore as they are vile no matter how you use them...they used to be lovely so I don't know what happened.

HerBeX Tue 18-Jan-11 22:43:03

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this.

Maybe you have to grow them yourself for them to taste any good.

solo Tue 18-Jan-11 23:16:23

Actually, you may be right. My Mum and Dad grew some a few years ago and they certainly tasted different. But I remember the days when you didn't get a core in tomatoes; what happened to those?hmm

Blackduck Wed 19-Jan-11 08:05:54

Have I won???

deemented Wed 19-Jan-11 14:03:26

Just wondering who the winners of the draw were?

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Wed 19-Jan-11 14:06:18

Me too!

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 19-Jan-11 14:32:18

and the winners are...
Blackduck
Solo
no1chick
Guacamole
deemented

Well done, can you send me your name (MN and RL), address and number to rebecca @ mumsnet.com please.

Congratulations!

aristocat Wed 19-Jan-11 14:39:48

sad missed out again

deemented Wed 19-Jan-11 14:43:49

Oh fab!!! grin

Thank you!

Blackduck Wed 19-Jan-11 14:46:16

Have replied to your PM Rebecca.....

solo Wed 19-Jan-11 15:30:45

grin yayyyyyyy!!

NumptyMum Wed 19-Jan-11 16:20:35

Meant to say thanks to AWT for his reply to my question - and how lucky that his featured recipe is the one that I asked about! Instead of being here I was at A&E with DS... hi ho.

Guacamole Wed 19-Jan-11 17:22:23

I won too! Hooray! I definitely have to buy a slow cooker now... what did he say oval shaped, 4 litre and glass top, any recommendations ladies?

solo Wed 19-Jan-11 17:44:35

No Guacomole, no idea. Yes to the large oval shape though. Mine is very old; there isn't even a removable inner pot that comes out. Not very easy to wash, so I might have to ask for one for my birthday...

deemented Wed 19-Jan-11 17:56:44

Size wise, i find there's a huge difference.

I'm currently cooking a rather gorgeous smelling beef stew in my 3.5ltr one - that'll do myself and manshape for dinner, plus maybe another serving for tomorrow.

I generally use my 6.5ltr (you can pick one up in Argos for £11.99 atm) for whole chickens, large beef joints and for doing the normal casseroles or sauces that i want to make to freeze - i can generally get a meal for three adults and three children, plus another meal for all of us in the freezer - and good portions too.

TBH, if you can afford it, i'd reccomend getting a smaller one as well as a larger one.

Worthy winners - deemented for the brownie idea and solo for all that flirting wink
Probably good that i didn't win, I am however using my SC right now and about to dish up a veggie casserole!!

Guacamole Wed 19-Jan-11 19:59:19

I like the idea of cooking a whole chicken in it, so I will go for a biggish one, if it takes off I might have to invest in a smaller one too. Looking forward to seeing the video (is it up yet?)

LoveBeingADaddysGirl Wed 19-Jan-11 20:46:49

What a nice chap

solo Wed 19-Jan-11 23:16:49

blush <sheepish> grin

SylvanianFamily Thu 20-Jan-11 10:26:06

deemented - I agree. The small ones and the big ones have different strengths, so I have both. Small one is mainly porridge, pudding and rice; big one is roasts and casseroles.

JosieMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 21-Jan-11 15:52:41

Just to let you know that the video of Antony making pot roast chicken is now live at www.mumsnet.com/food/antony-worrall-thompson-slow- cooking. Enjoy!

solo Sat 22-Jan-11 00:32:22

That looked yummy! will definitely try that one night, thank you

HereMeRoar Wed 02-Feb-11 09:22:08

I'm sure he mentioned jam in a slow cooker, but now can't find it. Can anyone tell me how to make raspberry jam in my slow cooker? Or will I have to buy the book grin.

Blackduck Fri 04-Feb-11 15:08:18

Mine arrived today - am eyeing up the Baked onion soup at the moment...
There is a lemon curd recipe in the book HereMeRoar

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now