MN WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus a follow-up question if appropriate, ie once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't be disappointed if your specific question doesn't get answered and do try not to keep posting "What about me?". 4. Do be civil/polite. See guidelines in full here.

Live Webchat with Jamie Oliver this Friday 15th October between 9 and 10 am.

(405 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 11-Oct-10 14:42:21

We're delighted to announce that Jamie Oliver will be joining us on Mumsnet on Friday 15th October for an early brunch between 9 and 10 am. Jamie's groundbreaking new book Jamie's 30 Minute Meals is now on sale and his TV series of the same name begins tonight on Channel 4 at 5.30pm and runs daily on week days for four weeks. Jamie needs no further introduction to Mumsnetters; you've discussed everything from his School Meals Campaign to his baby name choices. Now's your chance to put your questions to the man himself. If you can't join us next Friday, post your questions to Jamie in advance on this thread.

hobbgoblin Mon 11-Oct-10 22:59:22

ooh, just came back to thread to say "squidge that Alice's cheeks" for being positive finally grin

SpeedyGonzalez Mon 11-Oct-10 23:04:44

Jamie Oliver. I have your Italy cookbook and have to thank you from the bottom of my heart for:

- Risotto bianco
- Pesto

O.M.G.

And many of my friends say so too! grin

No actual question, I just like to give praise where it's due.

Jamie Hello <<excited>>

I will ask my question now so dd cannot prevent me typing it on Friday morning demanding milk!

You are extremly devoted to what you do, especially the training of your younger chefs as well as the promotion of better food. I should imagine that level of responsibility you have taken on makes it hard to 100% switch of a great deal. I, like many other people here, I'm sure, have a dh in a similar (but not as noble or widescale) position workwise. So I was wondering what simple family meal do you like be able to come home to, that you Jools and the kids can eat together that allows you some downtime with the family?

Thankyou

solo Tue 12-Oct-10 00:07:36

Hi Jamie! you are my favourite tv chef. Please leave Jools for me grin

midnightexpress Tue 12-Oct-10 08:44:50

YY to Aitch's question about the nutritional guidelines - the milk thing annoys me too. Before he went to school, ds1 would have been perfectly happy with plain ole milk, but would always choose chocloate milk if he had the choice, which he does, at school. It's like watching all your hard work unravelling before your eyes sad.

domeafavour Tue 12-Oct-10 08:53:58

Jamie, I love everything you do, you are an inspiration. Oh and went to 15 Cornwall a couple of weeks ago and it was fantastic. Don't ever stop

sethstarkaddersmum Tue 12-Oct-10 09:18:59

notsureatall - that's such a great idea, I would love a Jamie recipe index. In fact I am not sure I am going to buy any more of his books <stamps foot> until I get one, no matter how good it is, because it takes me so long to find the recipe.

boardingmum Tue 12-Oct-10 10:45:15

Hi Jamie. Can i echo hobbgoblin's comment (Monday 19:43) about healthy eating becoming an obsession and the lack of sensibleness about it in schools.

At our boarding school, we have to follow guidelines so the poor kids have to follow healthy eating 24/7!!. They used to have a tuck shop where they could buy themselves top-up food, but the school has had to close it because of the 'healthy' rules. It hasn't stopped the lads getting the extras they need (they are growing boys, they get hungry) - they now go out of school to the kebab shop instead.hmm They don't end up fat BTW; they do a lot of sport so they need the fuel.

I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned the Luchbox Police yet.

They seem to have gone from 'no regard for healthy food' to 'over-reliance on rules'. Neither is good: what you want is advice and guidelines which encourage people to think about what they are putting in their bodies.
Sorry if this sounds negative. You are doing a fantastic job, it's just the ones who are trying to implement your ideas aren't always quite up to muster.

sfxmum Tue 12-Oct-10 11:21:25

hello

just quickly to say well done you, for the energy and doing something positive
and your recipes are always quite successful at our house, so thank you

CMOTdibbler Tue 12-Oct-10 11:23:40

Hi Jamie, I'll be doing MN driving on Friday, so can I just ask, have you ever thought of giving allergy free alternatives in your recipes ? For those of us who have to cook free from, what are to others, stanard ingredients, it is all much more difficult. For instance, I am gluten free (have coeliac disease, diagnosed 12 years ago), and I still can't make a really good shortcrust pastry, puff is impossible, and just don't ask about dumplings... But it would be great if when others were cooking to be able to say 'oh yes JO has the instructions to make all his recipes gf/df/ef, and they still taste great for everyone'

GreatGooglyMoogly Tue 12-Oct-10 11:29:06

Welcome to MN Jamie . Is it true that you are going to open a Jamie's Italian in St Albans?

RiverOfSleep Tue 12-Oct-10 12:36:33

Hello Jamie, just wanted to say I think you do a fantastic job. Especially love your chicken in milk, and your roasted fennel dish.

Does Jools cook and has she ever thought about bringing out a recipe book? Tana Ramsey did a family cookbook which is very good but I imagine Jools would be a bit more creative. And I imagine she does most of the cooking at home with you working funny hours?

realandauthentic Tue 12-Oct-10 13:19:46

Jamie
Your school dinners campaign was/is great but what about nurseries? Many children under 4 attend nursery schools and this is where there eating habits can be largely formed. Please would you therefore extend the campaign to nurseries to help get rid of the processed, sugary and fattening foods so often served up. Jam tarts, sausage rolls etc can't be a good start in life. I'd love to get in there and cook from scratch for my son's nursery. Please help change the habits now which will set the pattern for their futures.
Many thanks

WreckOfTheHesperus Tue 12-Oct-10 13:25:44

Hi Jamie,

I really admire your work and love your recipes, and have 2 questions:

1. Any chance you would ever do a low carb cookbook? I love your recipes, but am generally on a low carb diet which often rules them out. Haven't seen it yet, but would the 30 minute cook book be suitable for me?

2. Is the amount of washing up factored into the cooking time in your 30 minute meals? I wash up as I go along, whereas TV chefs obviously don't have to, and recipe book meals tend to mean more washing up than usual........

Thanks smile

GrumpyOldHorsewoman Tue 12-Oct-10 13:41:23

I have been watching American Revolution and was dismayed at the class of six year olds (DD2's age) who could not identify any of the vegetables you had - even a potato! DD2 is a food freak - it's almost a problem because she's on a constant quest - but at that age, kids are so enthusiastic it should be easy to get them interested. I think a book/series aimed at children cooking for themselves is a great idea.
BTW, DD2 (who usually has packed lunches because I need to ration her food intake!) is having a special bonfire-themed lunch on Nov 5th at school. The entire menu is locally-sourced, with venison and pork 'hot dogs' and vegetable chili at the centre - even the bread is home made. This type of food experience would have been unheard of before your intervention and it is a credit to you because such menus at her school are now the norm. It benefits all children - those who don't get well fed at home get at least one healthy meal a day, and those who don't eat crap at home don't have to be fed it at school.

WreckOfTheHesperus Tue 12-Oct-10 13:52:35

<sneaking another question in, hoping no-one will notice>

I'd like to get 2 year old DD interested in cooking early on, but at nursery a lot of toddler cooking seems to be about making cakes and pizza; do you have recommendations for nutritious dishes that a toddler could learn to cook?

Thanks smile

<slopes off surreptitiously>

snigger Tue 12-Oct-10 14:13:00

Hello Jamie - have you ever thought of turning your attention to domestic science education in schools?

I can't speak for the rest of the country, but my step-daughter was taught to make 'minestrone' with an unpeeled tomato, a can of baked beans and macaroni and little else as ingredients.

I know school budgets are tight, but when the real thing is so simple and more delicious it seems an incredible waste of time and energy - DSD was pretty grossed out and declared she'd never try 'weird soup'.

Do you think basic techniques like butchery (portioning a whole chicken, for example), stock, roux, and ragu sauce would be a better option? Would that be more likely to filter into real life, rather than pseudo 'recipes' or is it a waste of breath if you're going home to a Pot Noodle for dinner and no-one in your family cooks anyway?

zam72 Tue 12-Oct-10 14:15:12

Hi Jamie,

Been a fan since the beginning! You signed my book in Borders in Chicago in 2000 but I couldn't manage to speak, just giggled nervously! grin You are such an admirable bloke - very talented and you really put your money where you're mouth is going over and above the call of duty with respect to children's/nation's eating habits.

Do you think you'll ever go into politics/government in some way?

I think it'd be a bit of a thankless thing to do in many respects but a good opportunity to really make a difference too. Maybe not at the moment but in years to come? Lord Oliver?! Just something I've been wondering recently as you're getting so engaged/banging-head-on brick-wall with policymakers over here and in the States.

snigger Tue 12-Oct-10 14:18:22

I'm also going to force out a begrudged thank-you for the cooking-in-a-bag revolution you initiated.

DH is an acolyte, we run through greaseproof at a terrifying rate, and if he ever succeeds in his threatened 'Shepherd's Pie In A Bag' venture I'm going to hunt you down and make you clean the cooker.

grin

BadgersArse Tue 12-Oct-10 14:41:49

hi Jamie
like the books etc but is it true that in your restuarants in Bath for eg you dont actually prepare all the food on site?
I went and liked the atmosphere but the food was very salty and i LIKE salt a lot

that is all
;)

sugarlake Tue 12-Oct-10 15:01:53

Hello Jamie,

I double dare you to go into Tesco, for example, and empty the shelves of all the junk food that they sell. Gwan.

How do you feel about certain supermarkets advertising 'special offers' which are high in fat, salt or just stodgy fillers with little nutritional value?

Thank you for all the energy you have put into making people aware of the foods that they eat and ultimately, their health. smile

sethstarkaddersmum Tue 12-Oct-10 15:04:57

if anyone can't think of a question can they please ask Jamie what his favourite biscuit is? I feel it is likely Jamie has far more to teach us about biscuits than any politician but I've already used up my q asking if he can please do a cookery show for kids.

fruitshootsandheaves Tue 12-Oct-10 15:10:45

I hate cooking...will you come and cook tea for us tonight please?
Ta very much (am quite near Clavering if that helps!)

<crosses fingers>

YunoYurbubson Tue 12-Oct-10 15:13:24

Hello Jamie.

I had a rude dream about you once.

Jamie's America is fantastic. All my American friends love it.

What meal do you throw at your kids when it's already 10 past death hour and everyone needs to be fed and in bed 5 minutes ago?

And... do you ever have to cook with whinging children clinging to your thighs?

Aitch Tue 12-Oct-10 15:15:17

Dear Jamie,
you should be aware that this webchat is already going Very Well (for MN). grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now