MN WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus a follow-up question if appropriate, ie once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't be disappointed if your specific question doesn't get answered and do try not to keep posting "What about me?". 4. Do be civil/polite. See guidelines in full here.

Live Webchat with Jamie Oliver this Friday 15th October between 9 and 10 am.

(405 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 11-Oct-10 14:42:21

We're delighted to announce that Jamie Oliver will be joining us on Mumsnet on Friday 15th October for an early brunch between 9 and 10 am. Jamie's groundbreaking new book Jamie's 30 Minute Meals is now on sale and his TV series of the same name begins tonight on Channel 4 at 5.30pm and runs daily on week days for four weeks. Jamie needs no further introduction to Mumsnetters; you've discussed everything from his School Meals Campaign to his baby name choices. Now's your chance to put your questions to the man himself. If you can't join us next Friday, post your questions to Jamie in advance on this thread.

BerryLellow Mon 11-Oct-10 15:01:36

Wow, he's brave!

Need to think of something constructive...

Lavitabellissima Mon 11-Oct-10 15:08:41

Is Jools a secret mumsnetter?

I've always though she is, another mumsnetter has bear as a middle name for one of her boys smile thought maybe that's where she picked it up, or Bear Gryllis I suppose.

I bet he's going to regret his reference to SWMNBN in today's G2!

Bucharest Mon 11-Oct-10 16:02:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LowLevelWhingeing Mon 11-Oct-10 16:03:46

Yay Jamie! smile welcome to the Nest of Vipers!

Really think it's amazing how you have affected social change around healthy eating. Deeply impressive.

Of course, there's a long way to go, so what are your thoughts on where we go from here?

(Btw, the new book is ACE. Very inspiring for someone short on time and energy at the end of a working day. My kids are loving the whole serve yourself thing too.)

greenlotus Mon 11-Oct-10 16:10:15

Hi Jamie

School meals are all well and good but I suspect my children (age 5 & 6) pick and choose from the menu (like they do at home) so they are not getting a balanced meal. For instance today my child says he ate only pasta, sweetcorn and sponge cake from a lovely menu (Leicestershire) with a choice of 3 main courses.

Now if they were at home I'd make them try a bit of everything and chivvy them into eating up their veg - you can hardly expect dinner ladies to do that with 100 kids. The menu is one thing but some of us like to know what our children have actually consumed. At least with packed lunch I can see what comes back in the box.

(Having said that we are all big fans especially of Jamie's Dinners which has a 100% success rate in this house).

nickstermum Mon 11-Oct-10 16:24:26

Hurrah.... Jamie I think you are ACE... although the 'Bear' as a middle name is questionable... each to their own!!

Lovin' the Jamies America.... What inspired you to think you could change America and has change progressed more across schools nationally now?

<<<<wonders whether Jools is a secret mumsnetter???>>>>>

phipps Mon 11-Oct-10 16:24:43

I am out then so will ask now - do you support your babies head better when you carry him than you did on the first week of his birth; and what did you think of your spokesperson saying you have four children and know how to hold them properly?

muggglewump Mon 11-Oct-10 16:49:56

Jamie, I love your MOF book and Jamie's dinners, I use them all the time.

Do you ever think that folk are put off when you/HFW and the like tell us to buy free range chicken, or buy tons of herbs for a dish, or only locally gown and such, when we all know you can afford it so it;s no hardship to you?

I do cook well, taught myself when DD was born but my budget is very limited. For this reason I prioritise home made, over anything else.
I don't worry about the provenance of the food, just that it's made from scratch so I know (as much as I can ) what is in it, and that DD is brought up around cooking and sees it as the norm, rather than ping dinners.

Would you say that was the right thing to do given the circumstances?

sethstarkaddersmum Mon 11-Oct-10 17:02:06

Hi Jamie, we are big fans in my house (especially my 5yo dd who loves cooking and eating more than anything). The first time I ever roasted a chicken I used one of your recipes from The Naked Chef and my mum who is a pretty decent cook and has roasted 100s of chickens in her time thought it was better than hers - that gave me so much confidence, so thank you for that smile

My question is, have you ever thought about doing a cooking series for children?
At the moment CBeebies has the dire Big Cook Little Cook as well as the does-the-job-but-not-particularly-inspiring I Can Cook.
When you did those bits of cooking with kids on your Xmas programme last year they worked really well (specially the bit with the funny nephews).
At risk of sounding scarily overenthusiastic (and making everyone else throw up) there is NO tv chef who is as good as you are at getting people to want to cook, and you have a great rapport with kids, and surely the answer to Britain's eating problem is partly to get kids interested in food and keen on cooking?
Please do it!!!!!!

sethstarkaddersmum Mon 11-Oct-10 17:03:56

....and I just told my 5yo dd who is called Laura what I have asked you and she also thinks you should do a series for children, and her question is:

'Do you teach your children to cook brilliant recipes?'

jonicomelately Mon 11-Oct-10 17:08:12

Hello Jamie.

I have to say that I watched Jamie's America with a large degree of admiration. How you managed to win Rod the Dog around was amazing.

How is the girl who was very overweight and had been given seven years to live? I hope she managed to undo some of the damage.

By the way, went to your Liverpool restaurant the other day and it was lovely smile

OMG OMG OMG <hyperventilates> OMG OMG OMG........

<composes self>

Wow this is great i love Jamie! I really hope people don't bang on about his and Jools name choices its up to them at the end of the day....

Squee!!!!!!

<note to self - must.calm.down>

coolma Mon 11-Oct-10 17:22:00

Hey Jamie - I sent you an email a couple of weeks ago, asking if you might be interested in helping promote our social enterprise at Wintercomfort for the Homeless in Cambridge. Have you had any thoughts about that?

Oh bum i have just realised im not going to be here, DS is in hospital on Friday. sad

Ok Jamie i shall ask you now (and then fall over in delight if you answer)

Im am flabbergasted that people get right through to middle age without learing to cook at all and i totally don't get the whole 'i don't have time thing' so its great that you have brought out 30 minute meals.

My question is, was your 'pass it on' campaigne as sucsessful as you would have liked and if not why do you think that was?

Love your work, keep it up!

p.s - your Children are gorgeous! [samile]

Oh oh oh, also (sorry i know were only meant to ask one question!)

Jamie, my son has Cystic Fibrosis and is dependant on a high calorie diet, can you give me some ideas of things that are high calorie and high in fat but still contain plenty of nutrients and goodness please. smile

AlgebraKnocksItUpANotchBAM Mon 11-Oct-10 17:41:01

Yay!

Jamie - is there any plan to have 'Jamie's Kitchen' type places around England? Please say yes! It would be amazing. I'd love to be able to get help and advice on feeding my family cheap healthy food.

And if the scheme did happen in the UK, how would you make sure the people who needed it the most would actually use it?

Loved the School Dinners series and the new American Revolution. It's a relief to see that somebody cares about the health if the nation's kids.

Hulababy Mon 11-Oct-10 17:41:43

Ah - I am at work in the mornings!

I have the 30 minute meals book on my Christmas list - already have the rest - hoping for new inspiration for after work meals.

My 8y, Mollie, loves JO too and loves to cook, and has enjoyed many of the JO meals. She wants to ask:

What are your children's favourite meals?

Hulababy Mon 11-Oct-10 17:42:33

sethstarkaddersmum Mon 11-Oct-10 17:03:56
....and I just told my 5yo dd who is called Laura what I have asked you and she also thinks you should do a series for children

Great idea - my DD would love that.

midnightexpress Mon 11-Oct-10 17:46:02

Love the new book, Jamie! My mum is in the kitchen making the chicken pie as I write and the chicken satay was scrumptious, but 30 minutes...I think I would have a nervous breakdown if I tried to stick to the 30 minute rule.

Anyhoooo, my question: can you tell us a little about what your foundation is doing with schools and growing food? I love the Edible Schoolyard blog, and it would be so great to see schools like that in this country. So inspiring.

midnightexpress Mon 11-Oct-10 17:46:49

Sorry, meant to link to the edible schoolyard.

thereistheball Mon 11-Oct-10 17:55:36

Hi Jamie - firstly I'd like to congratulate you on all the different projects you've started to improve the world you find around you. Aside from being a great and inspiring cook, I think you deserve credit for tackling the school dinner problem, and for starting 15, and for trying to educate the nation about delicious, healthy food.

My question is about how your empire runs: how do you balance your interests in the books you write, the TV programmes you present and appear on, your two restaurant chains, the cookware you deseign, the magazine you publish, and so on. Running any of these is a full time job. How closely can you be involved with any one project?

lizziemun Mon 11-Oct-10 18:00:10

Will miss you on Friday as have to be at dd1 school, but can I ask if you think that children (including Primary children) should have some form of cookery lessons.

Thankyou

Pochard Mon 11-Oct-10 18:04:43

We enjoy lots of things from the Return of the Naked Chef and gobbled one of the receipes only this week. And congratulations on the birth of your son.

My question is: are you going transfer the very impressive and welcome success you had with campaigning for healthy school meals to hospital food for children, recently reported in the press as being also very unhealthy? (See Guardian 9 October for example)

SanctiMoanyArse Mon 11-Oct-10 18:12:53

Dear Jamie

Congratulations on the birth of your son.

I hugely applaud the efforts you have made to fight for soemthing you beleive in- a trait I admire.

I only wish we were part of the school dinner rules, as my ds's are given such delights as hot dog and chips at their Welsh school but they now take sandwiches so that is solved at least.

When the campaign first started I wrote to you about children with autism who had really restricted diets (very common with autism) and for whom school had achieved real success in tiny, unimaginable baby steps and then the work had been undone becuase the special units were bing forced to cut their special diets out of the day. The rules were great for most chidlren, but there will always be exceptions.

I had a letter from a staff member saying 'all chidlren deserve a good diet'; well yes, that's what people were working towards, but if ti takes six months of feeding your child alternative foods on a crisp then telling them they must eat X and Y now won't cut it. Indeed, I had to get teh council to write in a statement (at a no doubt ridiculous staff cost) that my autistic son was indeed allowed to have squash becuase he has never and would never drink water- he simply spits it.

It's not a question, not really; just soemthing I always wanted to say in response to a pitiful reply really. Schools need to be able to combine an excellent diet as you promote with the needs of the few whose needs are different.

muggglewump Mon 11-Oct-10 18:19:11

Is it cheating if all members of the family ask a question?
DD would like to ask one too (She loves Jamie and counts his Korma as one of her all time favourite dinners).

Oh well, I'll ask it for her anyway.
DD, age 9, asks:
Jamie, what do you make for your kids when you are tired at the end of the day, my Mum always makes green pasta and I'm bored of it.

(green pasta is pasta with broccoli, green beans, peas and pesto)

sethstarkaddersmum Mon 11-Oct-10 18:21:15

smile Hula.

Anyone else agree - Jamie should do a series for children?

it would be brilliant, right?

SixtyFootDoll Mon 11-Oct-10 18:26:00

Do your daughters stay for school dinners?

TheDailyWail Mon 11-Oct-10 18:31:39

Hi Jamie,

Congrats to you and your family on your new addition!

Ministry of food is a fantastic book and I use it all of the time for my curries, chilli,spag bol and roasts. Great results every time.

Any top tips on how to make our weekly shop go further and cost less whilst still being delicious and healthy?

peggotty Mon 11-Oct-10 19:00:43

Yes, I agree with the series for children idea! I was thinking it as me and the dc (5 and 2) watched your new series today and they were transfixed!

strandedatsea Mon 11-Oct-10 19:15:34

Hi Jamie

I hope this isn't a strange question... In Jool's book about having your first two daughters there was a picture of you two with your NCT group. This always fascinated me - how easy is it for you as a family to lead a "normal", non-celeb life? Do you still meet up with your NCT group like us mere mortals?

Incidentally, I used to have lunch at your parent's pub in Clavering in the 1990's - perhaps you once cooked for me! (the food there was delicious).

Oh and PS your Spanish Chorizo and Chickpea soup might look like swamp water but it is fab!

(Sorry this didn't mean to sound so fawning).

hobbgoblin Mon 11-Oct-10 19:43:37

Jamie, I was just saying to DP the other day that I was going to send my first ever fan mail to you. I didn't even send Bros fan mail when I was a teen so that's saying summat! I am embarking upon a new project to get decent cookery lessons rolled out as after school clubs and was going to throw in some cheeky asks whilst singing your praises...anyway...

What do you think about the obsession with healthy eating? I see you being sensible about it all and then I see the Government clenching their butt holes over the issue. A bit like that school in your USA programme where they were going "we have to have two types of grain per meal" (to paraphrase) and ending up with a carb fest.

I am utterly pissed off with the lack of chocolate and cakes in our lives (or rather, my children's lives and my lunch pack when I had the misfortune of working in a school and wasn't allowed to scoff anything unhealthy).

Why can't educators realise there is a place for cake once you've had a good feed up on quality protein and varied vegetables? Okay, it isn't essential to health but surely denying its existence is making eating on a par with hoovering or ironing rather than an enjoyable part of life. That's where the message is going wrong I feel, what do you think?

You know the irony of all this hyped up reaction to 'junk' is that one can work in a school that freaks out if the coffee you grabbed at lunch from the drive thru (as I did) has a McDonalds M on it and yet the same school gets the kids to hand out donuts on Fridays to all the office staff to say thanks for being on hand to deal with dinner money and sick bowls.

The people making the rules so don't get it in terms of the balance between nutrition and eating as a social and sociable ritual. Do you agree with me or am I lonely on my soapbox? There's much more fun to be had making rock buns and crumpets with the kids than cutting up carrot sticks.

PS I don't 'get' your Jamie at Home stuff and have yet to buy, could you explain?

hobbgoblin Mon 11-Oct-10 19:47:38

I am going to be on the Mumsnet test drive day when Jamie is live but I promise I am a big fan and am in love with your fish pie, fish curry, and oh, heaps of other stuff. If you moved Nigella in with you and Jools it would be the threesome from heaven I reckon.

Romanarama Mon 11-Oct-10 19:54:54

Hello Jamie, we love your recipes. I lived in Italy for nearly 5 years, and practically wore out Jamie's Italy as it was the only decent Italian cookbook I could find, and it was difficult to get ingredients for anything else.

I second the kids series: my kids would really like that, they love cooking, especially when they can turn the processor on and off smile. My 8yo can do great pancakes, the whole job from larder to the table.

My question is why do I find cooking meat really hard and fish easy? I always know fish will turn out perfect for a dinner party, but meat is really risky for me. Anything roast is dry except chicken, and some steak is really chewy. This despite the fact that I cook meat more often, as it's cheaper and there's a better range in the supermarket I use (don't have time to shop around - full time job + 3 kids, sorry!).

And PS: this was today's lunch menu at my children's school (French lycee), just for your interest:

Macédoine de légumes
Oeuf mimosa

Tomate aux crevettes roses
Emincé de porc aux poivrons et tomates ou
Gigot d'agneau sauce au miel et romarin

Carottes au thym
Penne

Kiri OU yaourt nature

Flan vanille

PreciousCargo Mon 11-Oct-10 19:56:59

Hi Jamie,

I am a huge fan of your recipes, particularly those found in MOF, the spicier the better for us! In these times where many of us are trying to make our shopping go further, could you recommend ways of making meals go further?

BTW I must say how much I admire your passion for supporting British farmers and transforming school dinners.

Thank you smile

Romanarama Mon 11-Oct-10 19:58:04

Forgot to say, the iPhone app is fantastic.

Aitch Mon 11-Oct-10 20:00:21

hi jamie, i am currently discussing why on EARTH children in dd's school need to have a choice between plain, strawberry and chocolate milk with some annoying woman at the council. she tells me that it 'meets nutritional guidelines'. hmm

are you happy with the current nutritional guidelines?

Aitch Mon 11-Oct-10 20:01:52

oh, and fwiw i am a believer. you'll never please everyone all the time but i believe that you are sincere in your mission and am grateful for your doing it.

jollydiane Mon 11-Oct-10 20:04:59

I lost my mum who was a wonderful cook; your books gave the inspiration to cook for my family as mum had done for me. When you get tired or fed up, remember people like me who are so grateful. I have just finished my cod wrapped in rosemary and bacon dinner.

One request, could we have a chapter or two that gives you a weekly planner so you know what to buy and can plan so there are no leftovers. I get annoyed with myself for forgetting ingredients or have leftovers ingredients that I don’t know what to do with.

kveta Mon 11-Oct-10 20:43:05

oh god, can I join in with the general fawning please? I LOVE your books and DH (who is a czech with next to no interest in food if it isn't a) served with dumplings and b) predominantly meat) has even been converted by some of your recipes into eating shock vegetables occasionally! I too believe you are sincere and am very grateful to you - it's a shame that the government keep on wanking on about healthy eating without DOING anything about it, and it would be nice if they could listen to you.

2 questions I'm afraid:
1. my friend saw you in our local sainsburys (stortford) a couple of christmases ago and still wonders if you get an employee discount - do you?
2. ditto the request for a children's TV show and book - real food which is suitable for very young kids would be great (like some easy meat balls, roasted veg etc - to show people that babies don't need mush from jars! Aitch can tell you more about baby led weaning, but I'm astonished at my friends only feeding their babies from jars then being surprised that they won't touch home made food once they get a bit older), as well as food children can cook for themselves.

p.s. we used to have a Jamie Oliver Olive oil drinking game - every time you mentioned it in your shows, we'd down a drink. I had never made it to the end of one of your TV programmes sober until DS was on his way and I had to grow up. I'm not complaining though

If you could have anything cooked for you by anyone, who and what would it be?!

Aitch Mon 11-Oct-10 21:06:44

oh yes i can tell you more about baby led weaning... <preens> grin

kveta Mon 11-Oct-10 21:10:42

ha ha aitch - we have read much of your blog, and since I cook a LOT from jamie oliver recipe books, DS has been baby led weaned by you and Jamie after a fashion...

(oh and Mr Oliver - forgot to say congratulations on your new baby - very cute!)

Aitch Mon 11-Oct-10 21:14:38

apparently jamie's recipes are among the healthiest of all the tv chefs, so i can believe that. nigella's a heart attack on a plate, seemingly.

snice Mon 11-Oct-10 21:41:15

Hello Jamie. I am another fan. Your fish pie from MOF is an especially big hit with my children.

I would love to see you on TV being handed a family's weekly shopping budget and then shopping in their local shops and cooking all the meals. Not just a couple of nice dinners but breakfasts, packed lunches etc etc. It would be great to see what you came up with on a £40/£80/£120 per week budget.

How about it?

jpg Mon 11-Oct-10 21:55:33

one question- what on earth were you both thinking with regard to your children's names?? hmm

Also we went once to your parent's place in clavering, it was when the clocks changed, our first night away minus kids, no hint re clocks so we missed breakfast sad

fidelma Mon 11-Oct-10 22:05:00

All my DC enjoy watching your programmes on TV they would love a programme just for them.Any chance?

How is life wiyh 4 dc?

We have 4, just a little bit older, often think of you all.Keep up the fantastic work. You are making a real differece.

treacletart Mon 11-Oct-10 22:15:58

Jamie, Thank you.

I struggle to think of one individual who has had as profound or direct an impact on contemporary Britain.

And, I think amongst all the important campaigns, some may have forgotten it was you who made cooking cool and accessible to young men. 10 years ago men who cooked regularly for friends, partners of their families were genuinely exceptional. You changed that. I am forever grateful and legions of women thank you for it too.

Reading the negative comments on the G2 article this evening saddened me. There are plenty shallow ways you could have exploited your fame or your eloquence. I'm more cynical than most, but I am humbled by the choices you have made and by your commitment and your passion to make people happy.

Now, I know animal welfare is an important issue for you and don't mean to hijack, but wondered if you had any thoughts on my current lonely crusade against Porkinson Sausages. I used to buy them because they used outdoor reared pork. Their website and Tesco Online still proudly wave the outdoor reared flag, but in fact Kerry Foods who produce Porkinson (& it transpires Richmond sausages too) changed their Porkinson product last month and no longer use outdoor reared pork. I know welfare is a complex matter, but this seems like such a regressive step. It's gutting large producers can cut animal welfare so heavily out of their branding mix at a time when it should be even higher on the agenda.

BTW I think the new series is genius!

notsureatall Mon 11-Oct-10 22:53:01

We have ALL of your books - DH (the house chef) is a devotee and I (the house glutton) am too.

BUT we can never remember which recipe is in which book. Any chance of producing an overall index please?

hobbgoblin Mon 11-Oct-10 22:59:22

ooh, just came back to thread to say "squidge that Alice's cheeks" for being positive finally grin

SpeedyGonzalez Mon 11-Oct-10 23:04:44

Jamie Oliver. I have your Italy cookbook and have to thank you from the bottom of my heart for:

- Risotto bianco
- Pesto

O.M.G.

And many of my friends say so too! grin

No actual question, I just like to give praise where it's due.

Jamie Hello <<excited>>

I will ask my question now so dd cannot prevent me typing it on Friday morning demanding milk!

You are extremly devoted to what you do, especially the training of your younger chefs as well as the promotion of better food. I should imagine that level of responsibility you have taken on makes it hard to 100% switch of a great deal. I, like many other people here, I'm sure, have a dh in a similar (but not as noble or widescale) position workwise. So I was wondering what simple family meal do you like be able to come home to, that you Jools and the kids can eat together that allows you some downtime with the family?

Thankyou

solo Tue 12-Oct-10 00:07:36

Hi Jamie! you are my favourite tv chef. Please leave Jools for me grin

midnightexpress Tue 12-Oct-10 08:44:50

YY to Aitch's question about the nutritional guidelines - the milk thing annoys me too. Before he went to school, ds1 would have been perfectly happy with plain ole milk, but would always choose chocloate milk if he had the choice, which he does, at school. It's like watching all your hard work unravelling before your eyes sad.

domeafavour Tue 12-Oct-10 08:53:58

Jamie, I love everything you do, you are an inspiration. Oh and went to 15 Cornwall a couple of weeks ago and it was fantastic. Don't ever stop

sethstarkaddersmum Tue 12-Oct-10 09:18:59

notsureatall - that's such a great idea, I would love a Jamie recipe index. In fact I am not sure I am going to buy any more of his books <stamps foot> until I get one, no matter how good it is, because it takes me so long to find the recipe.

boardingmum Tue 12-Oct-10 10:45:15

Hi Jamie. Can i echo hobbgoblin's comment (Monday 19:43) about healthy eating becoming an obsession and the lack of sensibleness about it in schools.

At our boarding school, we have to follow guidelines so the poor kids have to follow healthy eating 24/7!!. They used to have a tuck shop where they could buy themselves top-up food, but the school has had to close it because of the 'healthy' rules. It hasn't stopped the lads getting the extras they need (they are growing boys, they get hungry) - they now go out of school to the kebab shop instead.hmm They don't end up fat BTW; they do a lot of sport so they need the fuel.

I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned the Luchbox Police yet.

They seem to have gone from 'no regard for healthy food' to 'over-reliance on rules'. Neither is good: what you want is advice and guidelines which encourage people to think about what they are putting in their bodies.
Sorry if this sounds negative. You are doing a fantastic job, it's just the ones who are trying to implement your ideas aren't always quite up to muster.

sfxmum Tue 12-Oct-10 11:21:25

hello

just quickly to say well done you, for the energy and doing something positive
and your recipes are always quite successful at our house, so thank you

CMOTdibbler Tue 12-Oct-10 11:23:40

Hi Jamie, I'll be doing MN driving on Friday, so can I just ask, have you ever thought of giving allergy free alternatives in your recipes ? For those of us who have to cook free from, what are to others, stanard ingredients, it is all much more difficult. For instance, I am gluten free (have coeliac disease, diagnosed 12 years ago), and I still can't make a really good shortcrust pastry, puff is impossible, and just don't ask about dumplings... But it would be great if when others were cooking to be able to say 'oh yes JO has the instructions to make all his recipes gf/df/ef, and they still taste great for everyone'

GreatGooglyMoogly Tue 12-Oct-10 11:29:06

Welcome to MN Jamie . Is it true that you are going to open a Jamie's Italian in St Albans?

RiverOfSleep Tue 12-Oct-10 12:36:33

Hello Jamie, just wanted to say I think you do a fantastic job. Especially love your chicken in milk, and your roasted fennel dish.

Does Jools cook and has she ever thought about bringing out a recipe book? Tana Ramsey did a family cookbook which is very good but I imagine Jools would be a bit more creative. And I imagine she does most of the cooking at home with you working funny hours?

realandauthentic Tue 12-Oct-10 13:19:46

Jamie
Your school dinners campaign was/is great but what about nurseries? Many children under 4 attend nursery schools and this is where there eating habits can be largely formed. Please would you therefore extend the campaign to nurseries to help get rid of the processed, sugary and fattening foods so often served up. Jam tarts, sausage rolls etc can't be a good start in life. I'd love to get in there and cook from scratch for my son's nursery. Please help change the habits now which will set the pattern for their futures.
Many thanks

WreckOfTheHesperus Tue 12-Oct-10 13:25:44

Hi Jamie,

I really admire your work and love your recipes, and have 2 questions:

1. Any chance you would ever do a low carb cookbook? I love your recipes, but am generally on a low carb diet which often rules them out. Haven't seen it yet, but would the 30 minute cook book be suitable for me?

2. Is the amount of washing up factored into the cooking time in your 30 minute meals? I wash up as I go along, whereas TV chefs obviously don't have to, and recipe book meals tend to mean more washing up than usual........

Thanks smile

GrumpyOldHorsewoman Tue 12-Oct-10 13:41:23

I have been watching American Revolution and was dismayed at the class of six year olds (DD2's age) who could not identify any of the vegetables you had - even a potato! DD2 is a food freak - it's almost a problem because she's on a constant quest - but at that age, kids are so enthusiastic it should be easy to get them interested. I think a book/series aimed at children cooking for themselves is a great idea.
BTW, DD2 (who usually has packed lunches because I need to ration her food intake!) is having a special bonfire-themed lunch on Nov 5th at school. The entire menu is locally-sourced, with venison and pork 'hot dogs' and vegetable chili at the centre - even the bread is home made. This type of food experience would have been unheard of before your intervention and it is a credit to you because such menus at her school are now the norm. It benefits all children - those who don't get well fed at home get at least one healthy meal a day, and those who don't eat crap at home don't have to be fed it at school.

WreckOfTheHesperus Tue 12-Oct-10 13:52:35

<sneaking another question in, hoping no-one will notice>

I'd like to get 2 year old DD interested in cooking early on, but at nursery a lot of toddler cooking seems to be about making cakes and pizza; do you have recommendations for nutritious dishes that a toddler could learn to cook?

Thanks smile

<slopes off surreptitiously>

snigger Tue 12-Oct-10 14:13:00

Hello Jamie - have you ever thought of turning your attention to domestic science education in schools?

I can't speak for the rest of the country, but my step-daughter was taught to make 'minestrone' with an unpeeled tomato, a can of baked beans and macaroni and little else as ingredients.

I know school budgets are tight, but when the real thing is so simple and more delicious it seems an incredible waste of time and energy - DSD was pretty grossed out and declared she'd never try 'weird soup'.

Do you think basic techniques like butchery (portioning a whole chicken, for example), stock, roux, and ragu sauce would be a better option? Would that be more likely to filter into real life, rather than pseudo 'recipes' or is it a waste of breath if you're going home to a Pot Noodle for dinner and no-one in your family cooks anyway?

zam72 Tue 12-Oct-10 14:15:12

Hi Jamie,

Been a fan since the beginning! You signed my book in Borders in Chicago in 2000 but I couldn't manage to speak, just giggled nervously! grin You are such an admirable bloke - very talented and you really put your money where you're mouth is going over and above the call of duty with respect to children's/nation's eating habits.

Do you think you'll ever go into politics/government in some way?

I think it'd be a bit of a thankless thing to do in many respects but a good opportunity to really make a difference too. Maybe not at the moment but in years to come? Lord Oliver?! Just something I've been wondering recently as you're getting so engaged/banging-head-on brick-wall with policymakers over here and in the States.

snigger Tue 12-Oct-10 14:18:22

I'm also going to force out a begrudged thank-you for the cooking-in-a-bag revolution you initiated.

DH is an acolyte, we run through greaseproof at a terrifying rate, and if he ever succeeds in his threatened 'Shepherd's Pie In A Bag' venture I'm going to hunt you down and make you clean the cooker.

grin

BadgersArse Tue 12-Oct-10 14:41:49

hi Jamie
like the books etc but is it true that in your restuarants in Bath for eg you dont actually prepare all the food on site?
I went and liked the atmosphere but the food was very salty and i LIKE salt a lot

that is all
;)

sugarlake Tue 12-Oct-10 15:01:53

Hello Jamie,

I double dare you to go into Tesco, for example, and empty the shelves of all the junk food that they sell. Gwan.

How do you feel about certain supermarkets advertising 'special offers' which are high in fat, salt or just stodgy fillers with little nutritional value?

Thank you for all the energy you have put into making people aware of the foods that they eat and ultimately, their health. smile

sethstarkaddersmum Tue 12-Oct-10 15:04:57

if anyone can't think of a question can they please ask Jamie what his favourite biscuit is? I feel it is likely Jamie has far more to teach us about biscuits than any politician but I've already used up my q asking if he can please do a cookery show for kids.

fruitshootsandheaves Tue 12-Oct-10 15:10:45

I hate cooking...will you come and cook tea for us tonight please?
Ta very much (am quite near Clavering if that helps!)

<crosses fingers>

YunoYurbubson Tue 12-Oct-10 15:13:24

Hello Jamie.

I had a rude dream about you once.

Jamie's America is fantastic. All my American friends love it.

What meal do you throw at your kids when it's already 10 past death hour and everyone needs to be fed and in bed 5 minutes ago?

And... do you ever have to cook with whinging children clinging to your thighs?

Aitch Tue 12-Oct-10 15:15:17

Dear Jamie,
you should be aware that this webchat is already going Very Well (for MN). grin

30andMerkin Tue 12-Oct-10 15:19:21

Hi Jamie

Am a big fan - massive respect for the campaigning work, own several much used cookbooks, love the TV shows, and have been lucky enough to eat at Fifteen Cornwall and adored that meal. Very impressed with the Jamie' Italian we visited in Brighton too.

But... don't you ever worry you're spreading yourself too thin? Shades of Gordon Ramsay? You're great at getting people into cooking but I'm not sure what endorsed homewares have to do with that... beware the spectre of Antony Worrall Thompson Fresh and Green Stain Remover!

I thought Ministry of Food cookbook was one of the best I've ever bought (and my shelves are groaning, and I consider myself a reasonable cook!)

Thanks very much for such easy, interesting food.

Another vote for the children's cookery. I learned to cook at school and it was the most useful subject ever.

30andMerkin Tue 12-Oct-10 15:25:47

PS you do know you're responsible for a whole generation of men making a great meal, but using every pan in the kitchen and decorating the ceiling with garlic in the process with all that bashing and sloshing don't you?!

If you could occasionally tidy up after yourself on TV it would be much appreciated by the many wives of Britain who have 'But I cooked, you clear up the kitchen' conversations in the evening.

PosieComeHereMyPreciousParker Tue 12-Oct-10 16:44:10

As a mother of four children with interesting names I love your latest addition and am very pleased for you getting your boy....I have three boys and a girl. The difference between them is super.

Do you cook with your children? Do they have your pallet or no choice on that matter!!?!!

I have to add I think all the causes you have championed are fantastic and your wife must be the most patient, understanding and wonderful woman on the planet to put up with all of it!

(PS thanks for the best yorkshire puddings I have ever made)

prettybird Tue 12-Oct-10 17:00:47

What do you think about the role of baking wthin a school to teach kids some of the joy of cooking in a fun way?

Ds' primary school is having to work towards being a health promoting school (as required by the Health Promotion and Nutrition)(Scotland) Act (2007)and the Council's interpretation of it), it has been forced to stop offering Baking as an option for Golden Time (the Friday "treat": a school wide hour long session which includes things like Board Games, Football, Scottihs Country Dancing, Lego etc) as it is not "health promoting" hmm. Surely, teaching kids to make their own food and to get pleaure from the activity is one of the steps towards healthy eating?

This is the same council which, at the same time as allowing its arms-length dinner meals service operator, Cordia to issue a leaflet telling us what and waht not to include in packed lunches (must be low fat yoghurts, no treats, not even home baking except on the rarest of occasions), also allowed Cordia to start selling cakes, muffins and ice lollies at lunch times, over and above the "standard" school meal angry

Aitch Tue 12-Oct-10 17:08:31

oh yes, prettybird, and the same leaflet encourages us to use low fat mayo (mmmmm, with added maltodextrin for body) and low-fat, low-salt cheese. honestly, if i had to eat that crud i'd take my 50p down to the local chippy and spend it there. and that nutrition act... seems as arse-backwards as the guidelines in huntingdon that make potato a good veggie choice. (nothing against potatoes, love 'em, but with pizza? blerk).

anyway, yes, i think this feeds back to the question that was 'love ya jamie, admire your work, but are you HORRIFIED at the way your sensible eating plans have been co-opted by councils and private companies?'

Aitch Tue 12-Oct-10 17:09:15

btw pb, we are a health promoting school. yuh-huh, the one with the free pink milk... hmm

prettybird Tue 12-Oct-10 17:12:51

Whatever happened to eating small amounts of good food? Like a small piece of really good cheese instead of a chunk of processed, low-fat rubbish? angry

PosieComeHereMyPreciousParker Tue 12-Oct-10 17:18:44

Also have to say Delia ,meh but she was the beginning, Heston (creative but not really teaching me anything I can use and Gordon, tosser.

Who is your favourite TV chef? (you're mine, favourite series America)

Aitch Tue 12-Oct-10 17:18:51

i really couldn't agree more. certainly from what i understand of 'no sugar' (ie truckloads of nutrasweet) products, they set your body up to crave sugar anyway so you end off taking it in somewhere else. i very rarely see thin people drinking diet coke, let's just say... wink

nottirednow Tue 12-Oct-10 17:41:51

Message withdrawn

ChileanMinerWife Tue 12-Oct-10 17:43:09

oh have a supplementary
at my school the kids CANNOT EAT a bag of crisps at break

SO the dinner ladies serve them PIES!!! and PIZZA

i kid oyu not
and more of them are fat than underweight

brookeslay Tue 12-Oct-10 17:45:44

Hi Jamie,

Fellow Ex Westminster College Student Here.

Congratulations on your latest Addition to the family. ( Wonders if your have anymore ??)

Real question What is your Signatire Dish or the one you like to cook and never tire of ?

Cheers B x

p.s I used to sit on that little wall outside college and saw once it was your favourite picture.

Jamie,

I think you are a real inspiration, love your books, shows etc.

If you could only eat one more meal (3 courses) what would it be?

going Tue 12-Oct-10 18:46:11

I have most of your books, MOF is most useful as DP can follow and make really good meals using those recipes!

How is the obese girl Britney (I think that is her name)?

StarkAndWitchesWillFindYou Tue 12-Oct-10 18:50:06

Hi Jamie. My 15 minute meals take an hour.

What am I doing wrong?

Jenski Tue 12-Oct-10 19:05:04

Hi Jamie - I'm really enjoying watching you in Huntingdon - amazing stuff!

I would like to know if you are satisfied with the changes within schools in the UK. Do you think more should be done to improve menus? I am a mother of three girls and also a primary teacher, and my overall impression of school dinners is still 'stodge'. There is one dish that concerns me on my daughter's school menu, which is 'pork meatballs with pasta and gravy' What the heck is that all about?

Also, I have 3 daughters similarly aged to yours - what is the one dish they will ALWAYS eat?

Also, one more just in case the above are not answered - I am currently teaching in a foundation unit in a school teaching nursery children. We cook every other week - I am trying to make this more healthy - Have you got any good healthy ideas that can be made with 26 children within about half an hour which they can then eat? Needs to be fairly cheap ingredients!

Thanks and I hope I might see my questions answered.
All the best x

gothicmama Tue 12-Oct-10 19:53:11

Hi Jamie,

My children love to watch food programmes, they were really excited to have eaten at a Jamies Italian and we were really pleased with the trouble staff and chef went to to meet their vegetarian needs. Today's question is do you have a vegetarian recipe (a trendy one with no eggs) which they would feel happy sharing with their friends (eating pizza when they have friends round is getting a bit boring) If you manage this you are truly wonderfulgrin

Hi Jamie

Dh is a big fan of yours, but very much in theory rather than in practice grin

How can I get him more interested in cooking so I don't have to do the bulk of it?

Oh & he saw you in your campervan in traffic on the A40 once & thought it was fab!

FattyArbuckel Tue 12-Oct-10 20:41:46

Jamie, I have gone from being a ready mealer to cooking from scratch in the last few years.

Your work is genius and it changes lives: just keep on keeping on.

I believe you have been such a great force for good and it obviously hasn't been easy.

My question is, what did you have to eat last night?

Lizzzombie Tue 12-Oct-10 21:18:59

Jamie - Loving the 30 mins cooking programme, I am a very lazy cook and tend to chuck ingredients together rather than always cook properly.

As you & Jools must be really busy with 4 kids and a big business empire, do you really have time to eat properly every night? Surely you have secret food shames? Please confess. I'd love to hear that you have a thing for fish finger sandwiches, or beans on potato waffles. Anything to make me believe that you aren't a perfect cook every night!

(maybe your next TV series could be Jamie's midnight feasts made in 5 minutes? - with a healthy slant obviously!)

nottirednow Tue 12-Oct-10 21:33:55

Message withdrawn

Greedygirl Tue 12-Oct-10 21:50:50

Love your programmes and American Food Revolution is making me cry every week (usually crying into my tea, lol). Fantastic TV. Are you and wasp-chewing dinner lady Alice now friends? Don't keep me in suspense!

LoveBeingAMardyBum Tue 12-Oct-10 22:41:26

Hi jamie

I'm just as gob smacked as you that children on both sides of the Atlantic can't ID basic veg, even potatos confused

also thank you for the best way to use up left over turkey, your sweet leek and turkey purvis amazing, I willbe going into production for everyone fromxmas lunch the day after boxing day .

I have so many question there really is only one solution, would you, kooks and the kids like to come for lunch in Sunday? grin

LoveBeingAMardyBum Tue 12-Oct-10 22:44:03

Purvess should have been pie blush

Tech can we get spell check kn the new mobile version???!!!??

LoveBeingAMardyBum Tue 12-Oct-10 22:45:37

I give up,jools not kooks!

EccentricaGallumBATS Tue 12-Oct-10 22:50:40

Hi Jamie

What is better cake or cheese?

ps - one of my DDs shares a name with one of your DDs - good choie!

MinkyBorage Tue 12-Oct-10 22:57:29

Hi Jamie, I have four questions, hope that's OK.
1) Do you worry that you are prostituting yourself a little doing all the Sainsbury's ads?
2) Do you worry that you are becoming 'Brand Oliver' rather than the perfectly lovely family that you clearly are. Is it a strain?
3) Have you had any plastic surgery? (I don't believe you and I wish you hadn't)
4) You seem to have stayed on top of your game financially as well as everything else. How is that when Gordon Ramsey many other famous chefs have lost it? What's your secret?

I like your recipes muchly thanks.

glasjam Wed 13-Oct-10 00:10:43

Hi Jamie - am loving your American Revolution. Genuinely feared for your life when watching the first episode - don't your realise those people have guns! one of my thoughts as I watched through my fingers!

Wondered what your opinion was on the "low fat" drive that sees our kids consuming vast amounts of processed stuff bulked out with crap and sweetners when many people are coming round to thinking that it's the amount of high fructose corn syrup/sugar loaded drinks and snacks and empty carbs that are contributing to the obesity epidemic?

I would rather my child had a bowl of strawberries and full fat double cream and truly enjoyed it rather than a plasticy, saccharine-sweet low fat strawberry yoghurt.

prettybird Wed 13-Oct-10 00:50:14

Good question glasjam - couldn't guess why you asked it?!..... winkhmm

YunoYurbubson Wed 13-Oct-10 03:47:43

Whut?? What plastic surgery? Where? No!

OhLuckyYou Wed 13-Oct-10 11:31:06

Hi Jamie, congratulations to you and the lovely Jools on your new arrival!

I'm loving the American Food Revolution but wondering why you wanted to do this programme - you've said in interviews that you're not trying to break into America and that these types of documentaries don't make you any money so what was your motivation? Obviously they needed your help but why go to the USA when there's still loads that needs to be done here? I'm not criticising just trying to say WE WANT YOU TO STAY HERE!! smile

PS do you eat biscuits? What's your favourite? wink

WideWebWitch Wed 13-Oct-10 11:49:19

Hi Jamie
I'm not normally a fawning type but I'm making an exception...Just wanted to say thanks for the school dinners campaign - the head at my daughter's school said she wasn't allowed to run a proper kitchen in her school until your campaign and then the county council realised they couldn't say no. So we now have very decent school dinners provided as a result. Good for you for Fifteen too. <end fawn>

Hi Jamie - I do admire how you want to put yourself out and try to do the right thing - even if sometimes it back fires a bit. Fiften and stuff like that is great.

I cook quite a bit mmyself - the new 30 minute programme - think they are a bit over ambitious and not to realistic for the average cook to do - I'd struggle myself a bit to do all that in 30 mins. Made the Portugues tarts last night - pretty fab!!

How do you think we could set up similar 'Jamie's Kitchens' across the country? It's something I'd like to do to be able to show people that proper cooking is not so dificult and you can get great results quite easily. I'm appalled at the level of HE (food tech) in Secondary schools as they don't seem to teach them enough actual skills and seem to repeat the same type of stuff each year with little progression.

Hello Jamie,

How happy are you with the level of school dinners now being offered and how do you think this tallies up with packed lunches? I think that you took on a huge task with the dinners and I applaud you for trying to change them.

I think that dinners have not changed enough and get around certain restrictions by allowing choice. So my son could choose pizza on monday for his meat choice and then on Thurday, the vegetarian choice would be pizza - so he could choose that if he wanted.

Also - the continued serving of sweet puddings when children with lunchboxes are banned from bringing in sweet foods is laughable.

Do you plan to do much more with the school dinners or have you punished yourself enough for one lifetime ?

CFT Wed 13-Oct-10 12:33:50

My DS, 8yrs, is a truly picky eater and not at all confident at trying new foods (refers to tastes exploding in his mouth). He is, however, obsessed with food programmes including Masterchef (and jnr Masterchef). He asked me last night who was a better chef, you or Michel Roux? I could only answer that your style is more home-spun, and that noone wants fine dining every day of the week. (1) Is this a fair reflection of your talents? (2) Do you know of other chefs who have extra sensitive taste buds that I could refer to, to encourage him to cook, taste and try new flavours himself?

herbietea Wed 13-Oct-10 15:16:47

Message withdrawn

jetcat Wed 13-Oct-10 15:38:16

ooh Jamiegrin

I would like to say a massive thanks for the MOF book. A fellow Mnetter bought it for me when I was really poorly and it has made such a difference to what my two daughters and I eat.

Growing up in children's homes during the 1980s, we werent even allowed in the kitchen let alone cook in it, and as a result, I never learned to cookblush I see your book as my bible, and follow it religiously - even going as far as stocking up with the store cupboard list.

I would like to second a previous poster's request for a weekly planner list though, to make it easier to plan ahead and use leftovers etcsmile

And congrats on your lovely familysmile

RustyBear Wed 13-Oct-10 15:55:30

MNHQ - do you know your BookClub newsletter says this webchat is on 15th November

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 13-Oct-10 16:05:11

Oh dear blush

But thank you for spotting that. Maybe we should ask Jamie back for a re-run in Nov?

Sazisi Wed 13-Oct-10 16:18:06

Hi Jamie.

Thanks for all the lovely recipes which I have enjoyed over the years

Do you think you spend enough time with your family? Does your wife agree?
I ask because you come across as very driven; my husband is a bit of a workaholic too and I'm torn between wishing we all had more time with him, and enjoying the lifestyle we can afford thanks to his hard work confused This week he is away for a conference so it's very much the former angry

What is your childrens' favourite dinner?

MickyLee Wed 13-Oct-10 17:35:47

Hi Jamie.

Can i just tell you what a lovely family you have. &#304; can honestly say that being a stay at home mum to nearly 3 children, i find Jools a true inspiration. &#304;n this day and age some woman feel thay have to have it all and feel they are missing out or not as valued if they give up their career.

&#304; love how Jools opening talks about being happy to care for her family and always wanting to be a SAHM. Good for her and your family.

Can you do a cooking on a budget book? wanted to make your christams dinner gravy until i discovered it would cost us a weeks worth of food shopping!

chimchar Wed 13-Oct-10 17:35:52

hi jamie

i'm very excited to be going to a "jamie at home" party....if i buy one thing only...what should it be?!

also, do you enjoy other people cooking for you? are you overly critical?

we heart you in this house.. lovely news about your new baby too. congrats to you, jools and the gang!

MickyLee Wed 13-Oct-10 17:37:00

Oh sorry... working on a Turkish keyboard

kittymc Wed 13-Oct-10 20:27:17

Hi Jamie, big fan of all your work- wondering if you intend to look at the food in creches and baby food in general at any point? i have a one year old and i am shocked at the amount of salt in a lot of mainstream branded baby foods ( always displayed as a RDA of the adult guidelines rather than babys) and having started her in creche 2 months ago i am having to move her as i am unhappy with the quality of food provided- fishfingers and beans, sausage and spag hoops!!Surely this is the key stage for setting palates for a lifetime of loving good food??

perhapstomorrow Wed 13-Oct-10 20:30:07

Hi Jamie,

I love your new show and how you're managing to make so much yummy food in 30 mins. However, it was be nice to see a bit more family friendly meals in it for us busy mums. As a father of four you must have an extensive list of recipe's that your little ones love. Any plans to do a family friendly\children's series?

abgirl Wed 13-Oct-10 20:35:25

Just wanted to say I think you are a marvel. I am Chair of Governors at an infants school. 3 years ago only 4 children of 130 had school dinners, which were bussed in from the local junior school. We didn't have a kitchen. We have now converted the servery into a proper kitchen, we have a chef and over half the school have school dinners - there is a choice of meals and oven chips only once every three weeks. I would say that most of this is because of the influence of your campaign, so thank you very much.

I would also very much like you to do something on tele for children. We run a cookery club but we only have our pupils for three years. Something in the junior/teenage market would be fantastic...

sethstarkaddersmummyreturns Wed 13-Oct-10 20:46:22

You see Jamie, LOADS of people want you to do a tv show for kids grin

Herecomesthesciencebint Wed 13-Oct-10 22:13:41

Ah, another big JO fan here. Think your receipes great and use your books all the time, but massivley respect you for the school dinners thing, as well as the ministry of food stuff. You are totally right IMHO that teaching people to cook simple, good food could change their lives.

But I do wonder how you keep going? how you can still be arsed. After all, you get a constant barrage of abuse and must be knackered most of the time so why dont you ever just end up giving it all up, going back to just cooking and spending time with your kids.
What motivates you to keep going and when do you plan to slow down a bit?

pointydog Wed 13-Oct-10 22:37:43

I love you, Jamie. You always seem such a happy simple bloke.

Anyway, these regulations for school foodstuffs are crazy. What is the point of banning chocolate and serving low-fat sausages?

My question: have you not just totally ripped off nigel slater with your "new" 30-min meals promo? I don't even love nigel but I feel a bit miffed on his behalf.

RunawayPumpkin Wed 13-Oct-10 23:03:00

Massive Jamie fan here, I learnt to cook with his book Cook and I now have every one of his books with the new 30 minuet meals on my Christmas list. My 10 year old son loves to cook the honeycomb cannelloni.

So thank you Jamie for all the lovely ideas.

Question. In your latest food revolution in Huntingdon did you ever feel like just packing up and going home to your lovely family and just leaving them to get on with it? I was in tears watching the 12 year old boy being tested for diabetes, he seems such a lovely young man I am so glad you were able to help him and did not give up on the town, but did you ever just think it was a losing battle. I cried with you when you said they did not understand why you were there.

Keep up the good work

How is the best way to get crispy roast veg?
P.s We love you in Australia too! (Bet you already knew that!)

MojoLost Thu 14-Oct-10 05:29:49

Jamie, I am a big big fan. You really are an inspiring person. Keep up your wonderful work.

I am a fulltime working mum and I always cook from scratch for my family, but sometimes find it hard due to lack of time. So I was very pleased when I saw your 30minute menu program.

HOwever...

I will never be able to do what you do in 30minutes. Just chopping all those cucumbers takes me 10minutes!!! I would like to see real 30min recepies for people that are not professional chefs.

FairPhyllis Thu 14-Oct-10 08:44:20

LoveBeingAMardyBum Thu 14-Oct-10 09:00:56

Jamie

Just wondered if you could give me the recipe for the ranch dressing that was on the show this wek.

thanks grin

DooinMeCleanin Thu 14-Oct-10 09:33:53

Dd1 has asked me to ask 'When will you do a cookery show or recipe book for children and when you do one will you come to to her school to film it because she loves you?'

She had millions of questions but I made her pick just one.

Notyetamummy Thu 14-Oct-10 09:57:39

I adore Jamie, sorry it's a guilty pleasure. Just wanted to say Hi Jamie - will you marry me? I'm sure Jools and my DH won't mind.

Nuttybear Thu 14-Oct-10 10:01:45

Hi Jamie,

Love your programme, would love a cookery programme for kids but, if you do, please don't do pages puddings& sweet stuff like the others do. Or pizza very boring.

Now my Q1 How do you stop yourself picking throughout the day and overeating your own lovely food? I suffer from this habit sad
Q2 Your book meals in 30 mins. Does that include the washing up and cleaning?
I find most men forget that bit! grin

I'll be back tomorrow for the answers pls highlight my name as I'm also a Flylady
smile

brimfull Thu 14-Oct-10 10:06:19

Do you watch your rivals on telly , or masterchef?

Don't you think our telly is becoming saturated with cookery shows?

My dh loves them btw ,I am getting bored of them...not yours of course grin.

OhLuckyYou Thu 14-Oct-10 10:38:07

Jamie, I forgot to add in my first post your stir fry flash mob was absolute genius! I love the song too, I keep watching it on youtube! You deserved an Emmy for that alone.

dinkystinky Thu 14-Oct-10 10:48:21

Jamie - I'm a mum of 2 boys (4.5 years old and 1.5 years old). DH is a great cook (I am not) and I'd love for my boys to be great cooks too. How would you recommend going about instilling a love of good food and an interest in cooking in their lives?

MumOnBus Thu 14-Oct-10 11:42:34

Keeps coming up, but I'll ask again so you don't forget answering it: will you do a book for children?, I'm sure Jools would be happy to collaborate!

And my own question was, what was your motivation to go to America? I mean, Alice did point it out to you: don't you have processed food in the UK? (I mean, aisle after aisle in the supermarkets!) Or did you want to make it the hardest possible? (to inspire us all!).

hobbgoblin Thu 14-Oct-10 12:01:08

I have a further question, and hope, because it's a little question, that's okay.

Can you tell me about knives and children. When can they be trusted to use them without help and me collapsing from holding my breath in anticipation of severed digits? And how do you teach them? My children could get much more involved with the cooking we do if they had knife skills but I am a little terrified.

Sorry, bit bigger than I expected blush

MumOnBus Thu 14-Oct-10 12:06:21

In Switzerland they let children handle sharp knives in pre-school, and I haven't heard of severed fingers yet, so I guess that the answer would be, "from pretty early on".
(sorry, butted in just in case Jamie has no time for your second question wink)

grandmabet Thu 14-Oct-10 12:14:38

Hi Jamie

Here's one who loves you and I know there are millions more out there, so do not fret about the very few who berate you. They are merely jealous of your success. Keep up the good work!!

hobbgoblin Thu 14-Oct-10 12:20:39

Thank you MOB

Can I also say that I think it would be great if you could set up a business/project that actually supplied school meals. The campaign is great but what about a service spearheaded by you that enabled local authorities to take up the opportunity to supply great food like they do in France without having to seek out small local suppliers. For our Headteacher that would be far too much effort and so we are stuck with the county offering. At secondary this is 'Cucina' which are pretty crap as far as I can tell. I would be more impressed by this than I am by Jamie at Home, though I did see some nice jars if I remember correctly...

I have looked at your six point plan and you do kinda cover the above but it seems largely dependent upon Government funding - a far off dream since the cuts have begun perhaps - so I wonder whether a Franchise system would be better?

If you do think this is a good idea I am volunteering myself as right hand lady and I would do it for minimum wage. grin

MumOnBus Thu 14-Oct-10 12:52:30

No probs hobbgoblin. As of how to teach them knife skills, they tell children to "make a bridge with their left hand" when holding the item to be chopped (for righthanded chn, obviously), so that there is a firm hold of the veg, and the knife is well away from their fingers.
It would be a cool chapter for Jamie's cookery book for children, if not only knife skills are shown, but also, how to whisk, how to pour, etc.
The earlier the better! (to learn to cook, that is).
We love you, Jamie, please do it!!

becaroo Thu 14-Oct-10 13:00:04

Hello Jamie smile not going to tell you how great you are as I think you already know wink

Please ignore the comments about your childrens names and how you hold them, OK? smile

My question is this;
I have a ds1 who is 7. He will not eat fruit and veg. The closest I ever got to him eating fruit was when he licked a slice of mango when he was 7 months old!! sad

I made all (mostly organic)food myself when he was weaned and at first it was great, he ate everything I gave him but he now refuses all fruit and veg (unless you count tomato soup???) Have tried smoothies - he was sick!! - tried growing our own fruit and veg to get him interested - no luck although he loves picking fruit and gardening hmm

I know its probably a phase but am getting concerned. My ds2 (age 2) eats lots of fruit and veg as do my husband and I...where did I go wrong and have you got any tips I can try??

Think the idea of a childrens show is FAB....please do it!!!!! Please!!!! (loved the xmas shows last year btw! We make those american style pancakes all the time!)

And congrats on the birth of buddy x

lauramay5 Thu 14-Oct-10 13:17:59

Hi Jamie!

Firstly, congratulations on the success of all your recent campaigns! Keep up the good work!

My question to you is: My absolute favourite food is avocados but after 30 odd years of eating them in guacamole or with a drizzle of worcestershire sauce, I am feeling in need of a little inspiration - do you have any suggestions for other ways I can include them in my diet?

Thankyou

AbiAbi Thu 14-Oct-10 13:19:44

Oh JAMIE!! I fucking love you, honestly!

During December I went through a really dark period of depression - however seeing your recipe for Turkey Stew in the Jamie's America book was the first thing to inspire me to get my arse off the sofa and go to the supermarket to do some shopping! Doesnt sound like much but when you're that depressed getting out of the house is a huge deal - so thank you very much for that smile

Question:-

What do you and Jools do when you spend hours lovingly cooking a meal for your children, and they point blank refuse it? Make them sit at the table / save it for breakfast / send them to bed?

Congrats on Buddy's birth, your Twitter picture was unbelieveably gorgeous envy

taffetacat Thu 14-Oct-10 13:33:23

Keep up the great work.

As a few people have suggested, some sort of hybrid of the Ministry of Food centres like in Rotherham in secondary schools would be amazing. I know from reading your comments in the G2 article that government funding is impossible, could it be run like a charity instead? With Lottery funding or similar?

aoliver Thu 14-Oct-10 13:34:34

Hi,

I run a cooking club for little children and seeing the posts here re-iterates how important it is to get children cooking from teeny tiny ages! My kids that come are aged 2-5years and they're great - do you ever support businesses, or work aside them, like mine? (www.craftycooks.co.uk just incase you do!)

I have a head of ideas but not the clout to match!

sethstarkaddersmummyreturns Thu 14-Oct-10 13:35:08

oh yes, WHEN you do a kids' book/tv show please include a bit on knife skills! I think parents are often nervous about letting their kids loose with sharp knives and it would be good to know how to do it safely.

babber Thu 14-Oct-10 13:55:54

hello jamie smile

We have certain dishes which we cook regularly in our house, easy to make stuff for when we can’t think what else to make, or don’t have to think about too much after a full day at work (i.e. tuna and caper spaghetti, dal and rice…) I’m just wondering what your equivalent to these are? i.e. what dishes do you fall back on regularly in your house?

As someone who is blessed with a DS who eats pretty much anything and everything, I’d also be interested in what are your kids favourite foods/dishes? Do they always eat the same as you or do you make stuff specifically for them? (sorry – that’s more than one question I know)

And I also think a kids cookbook/TV show would be a hit – please do it!!! (can’t stand ‘I Can Cook’ or ‘Big Cook Little Cook’ – awful and condescending)

Thank you for your enthusiasm and inspiration – I think you’re ace x

Mum2Luke Thu 14-Oct-10 13:56:15

Oh no am going to miss it, I run a Childminder Network Support group on Friday mornings! sad

I've really enjoyed the America Food Revolution series where Jamie went into an American Elementary and tried to change their ideas on what foods they were giving the kids.

PS Jamie if you ever move up North I've got a couple of vacancies for Childcare!! wink Healthy foods only in my care!

titferbrains Thu 14-Oct-10 14:28:54

Hi Jamie

Long time fan and I always have a pro-jamie rant if people try to slag you off - you do amazing work. Cried watching yr TED speech.

I have worked as a chef and I cook loads. I've always wanted to do something to help support your efforts to educate people about food and cooking. I have given cooking lessons before and I would love to get involved in giving cooking lessons to people who really need them.

Is there any work I could do for any of your organisations where I could teach disadvantaged people to cook?

Your Jamie At Home series is still my favourite because you seemed to enjoy it the most, I really hope you get the chance to go back to it.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Wordsonascreen Thu 14-Oct-10 15:25:34

I put on a stone after obsessing cooking MOF for a month.

I have never used so much olive oil and dh reckons you're obsessed with lemons.

And ideas?
And please don't say just eat less, I can polish off the roast chicken in less than 30 mins whilst batting away my children.

AshleighMac Thu 14-Oct-10 15:42:37

Hi Jamie...really enjoying your new series and I will definitely be picking up the latest book! 30 minute meals sounds right up my street.

I am a mum of 3 and I try to get the kids to eat as healthy as possible (not always easy!)...the youngest one is quite happy to eat mashed up banana or avocado which is great as they are super healthy but how do I get the older ones to eat these kind of things? Any tips?

Thanks!

want2change Thu 14-Oct-10 16:00:52

sorry if this is explained in the book (have ordered it but not received yet) - why i the recipes divided into 4 different colours (on the contents page)?

HerGHOULPoirot Thu 14-Oct-10 16:10:31

Hi Jamie, love your books and MoF has taught my brother how to cook and now he is obsessed with cooking proper meals from scratch (which all taste yummy) - obviously I have just bought him your 30 Minute Meals for Christmas.

My question is more of a request really - could you do a book on weaning/toddler meals/teaching children to cook and learn about where their food comes from. I'd love it if my DD grew up loving food and cooking right from the very start and as I'm not so confident it would help me get her started and hopefully avoid the weight issues that I have had during my adult life due to poor diet and portion control.

bexxaa Thu 14-Oct-10 16:41:48

RunawayPumpkin Thu 14-Oct-10 16:43:37

Oh no I am going to miss it as I have to take my son to look at a high school sad

bexxaa Thu 14-Oct-10 16:44:44

bogie Thu 14-Oct-10 17:13:56

Hi Jamie,

I second sniggers question about domestic science in schools, I dropped out of school because I hated it the only thing I wanted to learn when we were told to pick subjects was cookery. I was told I couldn't because it wasn't a popular course and I had to take needlework insted.
I had our first babys at 18 and I didn't know how to cook anything - my mum hated cooking and never taugh me(the only vegatables I had ever eaten were carrots and peas) So me my DP and our son ate frozen fish fingers and chicken peices for a whole year untill I started watching cookery programs and my MIL and saw how simple it was to cook, now I cook everything from scratch. I just wish at school they had taugh us the basics so I could at least knock up a couple of dishes by the time I left home.

Just wanted to say I loved the food revoloution and I love the minstry of food book it is great.

Oh and by the way I think your children have lovley names and you and Jools look like you're fantastic parents.

Tippychoocks Thu 14-Oct-10 17:28:04

Hi Jamie,

I would echo MidnightExpress' question about school gardens and growing food with young people: is it something you are planning to "take on" as a campaign? Can you comment on the links between school or community gardening and healty eating?

Thanks... smile

Bunbaker Thu 14-Oct-10 17:35:56

I love the 30 minute dinners programme. I would go so far as to say it is the best yet - inspiring dishes and, even better, no gimmickry.

As fillet steak is beyond my pocket what cut would you suggest for a speedy "roast" beef?

amothersplaceisinthewrong Thu 14-Oct-10 17:42:02

Dear Jamie

While I laud your efforts to make school dinners more healthy, do you realise that only 20% of meals in a year are eaten at school.

Indaba Thu 14-Oct-10 18:28:40

Am part of a group of mums currently working with our school meals provider to offer enticing & healthy meals.

Its a long & challenging process (as you know).

What would be really helpful is a proforma menu plan mapping out 30 days meals, ideally with accompanying menus.

That would then give us a basis to work with the provider which we can flex for seasonal variations etc.

Being able to present this as something with the Jamie seal of approval would really help!

Any chance....please please please please please please?!

RunawayPumpkin Thu 14-Oct-10 18:58:45

2nd question

DO YOU THINK MORE NEEDS TO BE DONE TO TEACH COOKING IN SCHOOLS?

My 14 year old started high school and was "taught" to make cornflake cakes, rice crispy cakes, a pizza with a crumpet for a base!
The only decent thing he was ever taught was a couscous salad.

I have been teaching him at home basic things.

I feel schools need to educate children early about healthy food and how to cook it

ginghamgiraffe Thu 14-Oct-10 19:12:33

Hello Jamie
I can't make tomorrow but I do have a very silly question: I found some of our older books and I reckon you must have a whole room set aside in your house just for checked shirts! How many do you have?!

grin

Pernickety Thu 14-Oct-10 19:43:58

My daughters' school dinner menus look healthy, as in they are not unhealthy but I don't think that is necessarily the same thing as being healthy.

The problem is they are obssessed with having an item from each food category, separate on the plate. So you get the main item, e.g pasta bake, then a carb item, e.g. potato wedges or herby bread, and then a veg option e.g. sweetcorn or carrots.

The county don't seem to get that you can serve a one pot meal to children and put all the vegetables inside. I tried a school dinner with my daughter when she started in Reception and it was vile. Overcooked potato pieces and overcooked brocolli and sweetcorn. You don't need veg on the side if the meal allows you to put veg inside.

I sometimes think these children would be better off with a vegetable soup and crusty granary bread than 2 anaemic sausages, some dried up potato pieces and overcooked carrots.

So, is it likely they do the best they can with the money they have or are they just being unimaginative and worrying too much about ticking boxes?

(My county do claim to be one of the ones that use the most locally sourced foods so that is at least a string to their bow)

pollyannasgladgame Thu 14-Oct-10 19:51:30

Hi Jamie, I live in Cornwall and have been lucky enough to have lunch at Fifteen at Watergate Bay. Had a great time - fab location and lovely food.

At the table next to us was a family with several young children ordering and whilst I don't like to deny anyone a good meal, I did think blimey they're lucky and a small bit of me thought clear off I don't want my lunch ruined by children's noise and a baby crying! (this was pre-baby so I'm less fascist now but have to admit my dream meal still doesn't involve children...)

Q What are your dos and donts for taking a baby /child to a restaurant?!

nickstermum Thu 14-Oct-10 19:53:21

Having to say again, Jamie you have been inspirational on America... are you planning on doing a childrens programme...?kids food?
that would be awesome

jessirobin Thu 14-Oct-10 20:33:10

Hi Jamie,

I love your work too. But my dd has just been diagnosed with a dairy allergy, and I have to avoid refined wheat because it brings on asthma. That wipes out loads of the recipes I used to use. Some substitutions are working OK (I've just made pesto using sunflower seeds with the basil, which tasted as if it had cheese in and the whole family liked it on spelt pasta). But really, it would be great to have an allergy recipe book written by a great chef, rather than by another not-quite despairing mother. (fawn, fawn). And food allergies are very common - something like 7% of children are allergic to dairy (according to the paediatrician). Would you consider it? I really miss rissotto!

And, as a sneaky second question, have you ever considered looking into how dangerous to health infant formula is? We are always told that 'Breast is Best', (rather than 'breast is normal unless you happen to have given birth to a cow), but the real statistics don't come out: formula feeding an infant hugely increases their risk of leukaemia and neuroblastoma, amongst many many many other illnesses. And, it is fuelling the obesity epidemic, with all the ill health that that brings in its wake. According to WHO, about 98% of women, given adequate support, (and I repeat, GIVEN ADEQUATE SUPPORT) will be able to breastfeed successfully, but that's not much good to the business of selling the excess cow's milk produced in factory farms.....

(small rant. if you want references, see The Politics of Breastfeeding (Gabrielle Palmer) or Breastfeeding Older Children (Ann Sinnott).

Oh, please please answer these questions. Thank you very much.

LauraNorder Thu 14-Oct-10 20:35:07

Hi Jamie, I have really enjoyed your American programme and I am currently enjoying your 30 Minute Meals both on TV and the book.

As a mum of 3 I have discovered that despite feeding them the same food I have 3 children with very individual tastes. DS in particular, while not a fussy eater, prefers his food very plain.

Obviously excluding Buddy (congratulations BTW) do your children all enjoy the same food or have you got different appetites amongst you 3 daughters?

Hulababy Thu 14-Oct-10 20:36:37

RunawayPumpkin - my 8y DD (in Y4) started cookery lessons at school this year. They do an afternoon every fortnight (alternates with woodwork) and DD is loving in. They have mde healtier versions of muffins and scones so far, and cookies next week. They do mainly baking this year and some cooking next year I believe.

My DD loves cooking and I supervise her at home. She's always cooked with me from bieng tiny and is now becoming more and more independent. She will also try just about anything and especially so if she has cooked it. She helps menu plan for the week and loves to choose - and her choices have on occasion suprised me too. DD loves to read cookbooks and loves cookery programmes. We try and let her cook one meal a week as often as possible.

I do think we should all be trying to cook with our children from a young age, and doing it in schools as well.

ProfYaffle Thu 14-Oct-10 20:37:35

Another vote for a kids programme please. My 3 and 6yo watched your 30 minute meals tonight and ever since have been dreaming up salad recipes - they're totally inspired.

Please don't abandon them to Big Cook Little Cook hmm

Hulababy Thu 14-Oct-10 20:43:21

pollyanna - whilst I agree that it is nice to have some meals without children making a racket I do think that restaurants, including nice ones and expensive ones, should be open to children. Children should be allowed to eat out and have good food; it's often where they get to try new things and also learn how to behave acceptably. We take 8y DD out for meals all the time and have done since she was a baby and she loves eating out. We do avoid going later in an evening but she has often been the only child in the restuarant, to the point that most people wouldn't know she was there.

But I do agree with children's noise and I personally don't tolerate children out of seats, shouting and being silly, and would always take a crying or loud child outside.

mousebacon Thu 14-Oct-10 20:46:14

Hi Jamie, I'm also a big fan and think the MOF book is fab.

I was wondering if Jools was planning on writing a follow up to her book?

Thanks grin xxxxxxx

Hello, I've just been watching a 30 minute Jamie.

Q Is the stuff in the kitchens you cook in on telly actually really yours, or is it just set dressing, made to look all casual?

There was a thread on mumsnet once about someone who was proud of her ability to tell all of her jars of spices and herbs apart without labels on and it made me think of her when you were chucking cinnamon about from an unmarked jar...

sneaky other q; Q)How long does it take to film a 30 minute meal?

Good work though, keep it up, you sounded very vunerable in the G2 article I thought, but not surprising if you're knackered.

MmeBodyInTheBasement Thu 14-Oct-10 21:08:23

Hi Jamie, love your work.

I have a question about eating in schools. My children go to a local Swiss school and the meals are fabulous. They have 3 course meals, things like boef bourguignon, paella. Served with salad or veg, dessert often fruit or tarte tatin. Sometimes cheese as dessert, which my children find quite weird.

Recently there is a new dinner lady and they have started to have little competitions, who is finished first, who eats every thing up.

DD told me today that she was given sweets for clearing her plate for the third time in a row.

I am a bit concerned as we have always said, "Eat as much as you want, don't overeat". And I am not that happy about rewards/bribes being used.

What do you think? Worth having a word with the teacher?

zebedeee Thu 14-Oct-10 22:18:13

Hello Jamie

Do you ever wonder that people in power (who were at least prob. twice your age, with degrees and fancy qualifications) eg head teachers, council and government officials are such numpties that it takes a 'celebrity' lead campaign to for them to see common sense. I'm sure if it wasn't for you and Jeanette Orrey and the fab. parents who contacted her and with her guidance and their determination that our school kitchen was not closed down and how ever many years later is continuing to thrive. So a huge thank you.

I agree with you, Stockholm rocks, and I had to lift my embargo on not letting yet another of your books into the house and bought jamie does... for the Sweden chapter. Is there a collective noun for a shelf load of your books. Trouble is I have the problem of having to look through a number of books to find the exact eg couscous recipe I'm looking for. Could you put some sort of index on your website to help me out, because time is short, and with more books my dilemma can only get worse. Do you get suckered (in a good way, obv.) into buying any TV cook/chef cookbooks - and have you a favourite well worn cookbook?

PaisleyPumpkin Thu 14-Oct-10 22:24:59

Hello Jamie, thankyou for all you've been doing for children and families. It's important and you've really made a difference - many of us are trying to feed a family for a fiver and in half an hour.
I just want to ask - have you not still got your bus?
We had to let ours go (rust in peace), a bit sad at the time but best all round.
.....and on the subject of camping - can we not get a hold of your Survival Cookware kit anymore?

hairymelons Thu 14-Oct-10 22:25:09

Are any of your children fussy eaters?

Me and DH are chefs and, rather embarassingly have a very fussy toddler. Everyone expects him to be a very sophisticated eater but he likes weetabix, toast and pasta hmm. And crisps when he can get his hands on them.

We cook and eat together every evening and he gets what we're having, ie a normal homecooked dinner. But unless it's pasta, he pushes it around and asks for, you guessed it, pasta!

We're hoping it's a toddler rite of passage and his palate will widen. Did any of your children show you up in this manner? wink

kazwencol Thu 14-Oct-10 22:40:43

Hi Jamie,
I am loving watching Jamie`s American Food Revolution, but by god it seems that you had such a task on your hands to get them to understand what you were trying to do that I actually felt your pain and frustration.
Myself and afew members on here are very frustrated at the profit supermarkets are making and how little farmers/suppliers are getting. So much so we are going to get a petition going. I know that you work for one of the main supermarkets and you will have to watch what you say, and here is my question do you think ordinary people could make a difference in changing that so that the farmers, suppliers have more say and the supermarkets pay them more than they currently do. I did send you an e-mail but so far have only received a non-reply e-mail. Good luck with whatever you take on next Jamie

ledodgy Thu 14-Oct-10 22:57:04

Jamie as a mother of three and obviously wanting my family to eat halthily I find my slow cooker a valuable resource. A pot you can bung in a load of veg and/or meat a few herbs etc and dinner is sorted. Did you not think of introducing one of these to the people in your shows in either the UK or the US as surely this ticks alot of the boxes required ie. Healthy, tasty and most of all eay to prepare and cook. A slow cooking recipe book by you would be fab.

ledodgy Thu 14-Oct-10 22:57:40

*easy

ledodgy Thu 14-Oct-10 22:59:06

and I meant Healthily. I am half asleep and far away from the keyboard!

ChristmasTrulyReigns Fri 15-Oct-10 00:08:13

Hi Jamie. smile

Thank you very mush for taking time out of your busy life to talk to us vipers here at MN.

My DCs love watching your programmes and are completely inspired by your enthusiasm and approach to cooking. (3DDs followed by a smashing DS, just like you, BTW) grin

I'll second (or whatever number I am) the request for a decent children's program from you.

My question is really related to how much your care for children's diet and attitude to food: What meal immediately transports you back to childhood? And I'm sure that many on MN are pretty sure that it will be one of your recipes that our adult DCs will reminisce fondly about. (MOF fish pie for mine smile)

Aaah feckit, I'm going to go for 2 questions:
I feel the 5.30 scheduling for 30 minute meals is slightly strange. What was the rationale behind that?

<Chaos hopes the bolding doesn't alert the meanies at MNHQ to the cheeky 2 questions grin>

ChristmasTrulyReigns Fri 15-Oct-10 00:08:48

FFS Thank you very much. blush

redflipflops Fri 15-Oct-10 01:42:27

Jamie - PLEASE come back to America and campaign for no sweets/ice creams/jelly beans/M&Ms being used as rewards for good work/behaviour IN the classroom. The supply teacher is loved by the kids because she gives gummy worms...WTF?

They also allow parents to buy milk tokens but then offer the children chocolate or regular milk..... wonder which a 6 year old will choose!?!

Please carry on campaigning for better food in schools - both sides of the pond. You are a saint smile

Jamie, what would you have as your last meal on earth??

<flutters eyelids towards my secret crush>

wink

<love you Jamie!>

nowit Fri 15-Oct-10 07:56:51

Hi Jamie, We are big fans in my house

Do you have plans to open any more Jamies Italians?

We love them and have been to your Bath one as a couple (v. nice) and your Kingston one last month with the kids (the staff were amazing, even when ds decided to flood the toilets blush )

Would love to see more of them

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 08:44:24

Testing

brimfull Fri 15-Oct-10 08:45:01

ooh got excited there

sorrybutineedtoknow Fri 15-Oct-10 08:49:38

Hi Jamie
Just one question - quick answer
Favourite biscuit?
grin

RiverOfSleep Fri 15-Oct-10 08:51:16

Drumroll....

(or should that be a drumstick?)

Is Jamie going to be doing his own typing I wonder? Are you at MNHQ or round at the Olivers'?

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 15-Oct-10 08:56:43

We're delighted to welcome Jamie to Mumsnet HQ on this dreary Friday morning. He's not had much sleep so please do treat him gently. Welcome Jamie Oliver...

TheMulledBloodsOnMe Fri 15-Oct-10 08:56:47

Jamie- I love you and I think that you and your family are fab. The work you do is tireless and brilliant, keep at it, you're making a huge difference. Nothing to ask you really, I just wanted to let you know that not everyone thinks negatively about you and the work that you do.

TheSquodgit Fri 15-Oct-10 08:58:43

I bet he makes his own fave biscuits.

<excited>

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 09:00:32

Hi guys I'm online, here to answer some of your questions. I hope you're all well!

My favourite biscuit although i'm not a very biscuity kind of person is ......a cross between a jaffa cake which has very nostalgic biscuits but that's a cake rally, so I'l stick to the old fashioned choc digestive

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 09:00:51

TheSquodgit

I bet he makes his own fave biscuits.

<excited>

biscuit

TheSquodgit Fri 15-Oct-10 09:01:19

Jamie big admiration for you in our house.

I read your interview with Decca Aitkenhead in the DM (I didn't buy it - it was in the coffee shop ;)).

FWIW I think you are a lot more admired than you think you are.

Fawning over.

sethstarkaddersmummyreturns Fri 15-Oct-10 09:01:27

welcome to MN Jamie, and congratulations on your new baby.

100s of people here seem to agree with my question about please can you do a tv programme/book for kids, to teach them to cook.

Please do it, you would be fab!

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 09:01:49

nowit

Hi Jamie, We are big fans in my house

Do you have plans to open any more Jamies Italians?

We love them and have been to your Bath one as a couple (v. nice) and your Kingston one last month with the kids (the staff were amazing, even when ds decided to flood the toilets blush )

Would love to see more of them

Just about to open Birmingham in the next two weeks opposite the bullring in the old Borders bookshop, looking forward to doing St Albans next year and Manchester

lolalotta Fri 15-Oct-10 09:02:23

Hi Jamie what is your favourite dish to cook for your kiddie-winks??? Love all your shows btw! grin

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 09:03:42

It's really normal that kids cling on to stuff they know... my kids are also obsessed with pasta. They'll pretty much eat anything that has pasta, so use this to your advantage. Pasta comes in so many different shapes and sizes, that you can get them onto rice and couscous and other things. Concentrate on what they do like, rather than what they don't. Although it's really easy to get into a routine every week, try to mix it up, as then it's easier to get them to try new things.

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 09:04:26

We're all around the able at my office.

TheSquodgit Fri 15-Oct-10 09:04:36

Jamie how much importance do you place on eating organic produce?

pinkclouds Fri 15-Oct-10 09:05:24

Hi Jamie,
I was just wondering if your children invite friends to play what do you cook for them?

AbricotsSecs Fri 15-Oct-10 09:05:53

AddictedIsFeelingHappy Fri 15-Oct-10 09:06:15

morning jamie, my dh loves your food he keeps buying me your cook books in the hope that i will actually follow a recipie and come out with what i ment to cook blush

would you ever consider doing a childrens programme such as the bbc 'i can cook' for little children? but doing proper healthy full meals? i think it would get lots more kids into healthy eating

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 09:06:26

To all those who asked if Jules is a secret mumsnetter:

To everyone who asked this, I think she goes on there from time to time but she's a bit full on at the moment with 4 kids!

aoliver Fri 15-Oct-10 09:07:47

Hi Jamie, I run a pre-school cooking club and have several ladies doing it round teh UK - I have loads of ideas for kiddie related food products. Would you ever consider workin with a business like mine?

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 09:08:00

ChristmasTrulyReigns

Hi Jamie. smile

Thank you very mush for taking time out of your busy life to talk to us vipers here at MN.

My DCs love watching your programmes and are completely inspired by your enthusiasm and approach to cooking. (3DDs followed by a smashing DS, just like you, BTW) grin

I'll second (or whatever number I am) the request for a decent children's program from you.

My question is really related to how much your care for children's diet and attitude to food: What meal immediately transports you back to childhood? And I'm sure that many on MN are pretty sure that it will be one of your recipes that our adult DCs will reminisce fondly about. (MOF fish pie for mine smile)

I feel the 5.30 scheduling for 30 minute meals is slightly strange. What was the rationale behind that?

<Chaos hopes the bolding doesn't alert the meanies at MNHQ to the cheeky 2 questions grin>

My mum;s fish pie used to make me very happy and nothing quite tastes like your mum's - weird that it's the same as you!

On scheduling of 30 min meals actually I requested it to be at that time specifically because I was interested about the type of people tbh usually mums and students who are around at that time and everyone around me incl C4 didn't want me to do it a the beginning, but I dug my heels in and altho it's not normal to go from prime time to daytime for lots of reasons I think it's probably one of the best things I've done and the response is amazing and we've been getting @m viewers at 5.30. And I want to be at 5.30 to be useful rather than prime time to be glamorous. The crowd at 5.30 are far more interesting because I think they watch and they're active and I've seen that on twitter.

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 09:09:49

I sold that three years ago... I miss it. But I'd had the bus for 11 years, and I believe those kind of things need to be owned and looked after by people who are really going to use it. It was sitting in the garage, and that felt wrong.

If you email Tefal direct, they might have some survival cookware kit left. It's a long shot but it might work :-)

PaisleyPumpkin

Hello Jamie, thankyou for all you've been doing for children and families. It's important and you've really made a difference - many of us are trying to feed a family for a fiver and in half an hour.
I just want to ask - have you not still got your bus?
We had to let ours go (rust in peace), a bit sad at the time but best all round.
.....and on the subject of camping - can we not get a hold of your Survival Cookware kit anymore?

maduggar Fri 15-Oct-10 09:11:16

Which of your recipes do you make most often for your family?

Why does Jamie get orange highlights. I want them toooooo.

Congats on the birth of Buddy!

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 09:12:26

sethstarkaddersmummyreturns

welcome to MN Jamie, and congratulations on your new baby.

100s of people here seem to agree with my question about please can you do a tv programme/book for kids, to teach them to cook.

Please do it, you would be fab!

I've been working on a bunch of stuff for a few years now and I really want to do something for kids and hopefully in the next couple of years we'll do something really lovely and spectacular and empowering so kids can roll up their sleeves and get involved. I feel I can do it I started cooking a lot when I was about 8, using knives and opening oven doors and all that and it's all about getting the balance between good parenting but letting them really have a go at the same time and allowing them to make decisions every week about what they eat, decisions between a good choice and a good choice, not a good choice and a bad choice.

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 09:13:58

I cook loads of different things at my house, so kids don't get different food from what we cook for our own family. So when their friends come over, they eat whatever our family would've been eating anyway.

To be honest, I'm a morning dad and a weekend dad. Although Jools isn't a particularly good cook in a professional sense, she's a wonderful childrens cook. When they kids need to cook, she's on it. She keeps things really simple, she doesn't embellish things too much. From one pan, she can create 3 or 4 different elements of a meal.

pinkclouds

Hi Jamie,
I was just wondering if your children invite friends to play what do you cook for them?

sethstarkaddersmummyreturns Fri 15-Oct-10 09:14:55

thank you Jamie, I'm so glad you're planning something for kids, I will look forward to it smile smile smile

BoffinMum Fri 15-Oct-10 09:15:21

Hi Jamie,

I live near you in East Anglia. Is there anything you can do to improve the standards of food and service in cafes, pubs and restaurants around Cambridge, as all too often we find when we go out with the kids that we are sat at a dirty table, shell out a lot of dosh only to be fed boil in the bag rubbish or burnt pizza (you know the chains I mean), ignored for long periods by the taciturn waiting staff, and generally vaguely ripped off. For many families this usually coincides with a birthday or anniversary celebration, and invariably we all end up stressed and arguing as a result, which can't be a good thing.

Thanks,
Boff

annbenoli Fri 15-Oct-10 09:15:44

Hi Jamie, where do you stand on school packed lunces, schools taking a small biscuit out of an otherwise healthy lunchbox. Is a little treat not part of a balanced diet?

Woodhen Fri 15-Oct-10 09:19:16

Morning Jamie,

My son has just started school and unfortunately they have removed the school dinner facilities - mt mother in law was a head dinner lady and has told me the reason behind it was with the new guidlines a few local schools were losing money and decided to close the kitchens.
Does this make you cross as it does appear to miss the point in a kind of we cant be healthy so wont bother way - I would love him to have school dinners as we have always been a main meal at lunchtime family and I remember loving school dinners as a child.

By the way we love you and think its a shame you sometimes get some horrible press - Baby holding thing - utterly daft!!!

BoffinMum Fri 15-Oct-10 09:21:24

Secret extra question - don't look, MN people - I am a University Lecturer in Education and author myself, and for a few years I have been trying to put together a book on cooking for children with specialised diets (ie diabetes, coeliac disease, kidney failure) after discovering that the leaflets the children get after getting diagnosed are aimed at pensioners and hinge around tasteless tinned food, which is pretty gross. So would you ever fancy a collaborative project bringing out a more exciting leaflet to inspire children with these conditions to engage with cooking more tasty foods?

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 09:21:56

Nuttybear

Hi Jamie,

Love your programme, would love a cookery programme for kids but, if you do, please don't do pages puddings& sweet stuff like the others do. Or pizza very boring.

Now my Q1 How do you stop yourself picking throughout the day and overeating your own lovely food? I suffer from this habit sad
Q2 Your book meals in 30 mins. Does that include the washing up and cleaning?
I find most men forget that bit! grin

I'll be back tomorrow for the answers pls highlight my name as I'm also a Flylady
smile

I don't so much pick but you have to taste the food if you're a chef, but not necessarily lots of it. At work I don't put spoon in, at home I just put my finger in

On washing up I genuinely do try and multi use pans and even serve stuff in the trays and pans I cook them in but ultimately if you cook fresh there will be washing up. The best thing I can recommend even if you're on a budget is get a second hand dishwasher, it sterilises everything and gets it out the way and also when I do 30 min meals I work into the dishwasher, so genuinely I can have it semi done in 30 mins, because I've packed away as I've worked. But don't be misled into thinking 30 min meals is a bunch of recipes it's a whole new approach, and if you don't read the intro you won't achieve what Is et out to achieve. And for me and all of my testing team, creating 30 min meals and testing it has changed all of our lives and we never thought it would. Just looking at how we run the kitchen, approach the kitchen and start and finish a meal. And also it's the only book that I know of that if you're a good cook and you do what you're told it works and if you're a bad cook and do as you're told it works. But if you're a good cook and don't follow the rules I can't promise you anything. It's the Gina Ford of cooking wink

Woodhen Fri 15-Oct-10 09:22:00

really shouldnt type and run after a toddler - typos!!

Decorhate Fri 15-Oct-10 09:22:47

Are you doing any Christmas specials this year? Lived last year's - hope they will be repeated!

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 09:22:49

Mugglewump: Definitely. Knowing what is going into the food you’re feeding your family is so important - it sounds like you're doing a great job. On that money point – fair enough, higher welfare meat can be a bit more expensive, and if you’re going to eat chicken 4 or 5 times a week, then it’s going to get expensive. But when we eat chicken less often, and spend just a little bit more on it when we do buy it, or give those delicious cheaper cuts of meat, like chicken thighs, a chance, then higher welfare meat suddenly becomes more accessible. and as for locally grown veg – I would love it if everyone grew their own veg. If you ask me, that’s the most budget friendly thing ever. But still, local farmers’ markets definitely won’t break the bank, and you’ll often spend less buying your veg there then at the supermarket – and it will be better for you nutritionally because it won’t have travelled for thousands of miles on a plane. And lastly – on the herbs – I know I use a lot of them, but they are such a brilliant way of flavouring food without having to use loads of salt or other seasonings. Herb plants don’t cost much at all, and if you bung a few of them in a windowbox or flowerbed, you’ll save loads of cash in the long run and your food will taste better for it. trust me, things like rosemary and thyme especially will grow like weeds!

kittykitty Fri 15-Oct-10 09:23:59

Morning Jamie. Very excited about your new London restaurant opening near where I work in the City. Is it true it's a barbecue place?

VinegaRigamorTits Fri 15-Oct-10 09:24:23

Jamie, how can i get my fussy 4 yr old to eat sandwiches? (he will only eat cocktail sausages in his packed lunch hmm)

also, if you could choose a halloween name (take note of mine) what would it be?

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 09:25:00

I think you're facing the big quandry that many familes face. I've worked in the last 8 years with many families and mothers that are tearing their hair out trying to cater for everyone's individual tastes. I've witnessed mothers cooking 5 different meals for their kids and husbands - love will drive you to deliver that.

At some point you have to stop, rethink, and find enough things that they have in common and feed them one big tasty meal. You've got to be a bit more strict about it. You may have tears and a bit of playing up for a day or two, or a week, but ultimately if they are hungry, they will eat. You need to do this in conjunction with NO SNACKING. Most of the fussy eating comes with not being truly hungry as they've gorged on food after school. I've genuinenly seen this and worked with families in this exact situation. You'll be happier, it will be cheaper and more time effective in the long run, if you take tough approach upfront. Instincts are often right, but modern solutions can take us down the wrong path. Dinner time ain't always perfect - that's really normal.

But if you can try and get your family together eating a meal together around the table, that's a great thing in itself. Another idea - try to get the kids to choose a day when they get to agree on what to cook, so that it's not always something that you are dictating, as a way to give them a reward for going along with what you're cooking the rest of the time.

LauraNorder

Hi Jamie, I have really enjoyed your American programme and I am currently enjoying your 30 Minute Meals both on TV and the book.

As a mum of 3 I have discovered that despite feeding them the same food I have 3 children with very individual tastes. DS in particular, while not a fussy eater, prefers his food very plain.

Obviously excluding Buddy (congratulations BTW) do your children all enjoy the same food or have you got different appetites amongst you 3 daughters?

AvocadoBrother2 Fri 15-Oct-10 09:26:35

Hi Jamie,
I find it really hard to get my kids to eat their greens...I'm sure most mums have the same problem! I am constantly trying to come up with new ways to disguise them and make them more appealing. What's the most inventive way you have got your little ones to eat their veggies?

BoffinMum Fri 15-Oct-10 09:27:47

Jamie, I think you're spot on about dealing with fussy eaters via natural hunger. We had an exchange student over recently and his mum was despairing, so we stopped him eating rubbish, gave him meat and two veg, and told him to get on with it. By the time he left he was eating normal meals quite happily and his mum was delighted. grin

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 09:27:55

It's really a pleasure being here, I was really chuffed at being asked :-)

Again, I'm positive that 5.30 is the best time to broadcast a cooking school to the right kind of people who will watch it and do something about it. It's not about entertainment, it's about getting people to cook.

ChristmasTrulyReigns

Hi Jamie. smile

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 09:29:17

Hi Salina. Pass it on did OK in Rotherham but the thing I'm really proud of is the Ministry of Food movement. Three centres now, all really busy - Rotherham taught 6500 people to cook last year. We've got a mobile ministry opening in the North East soon. We're launching in Australia this year. I agree with you that it's shocking how many people can't cook, but really, where can they learn? That’s why I set up Ministry of Food centres – to give people somewhere where they could come in, feel welcome, and learn those essential skills. It’s brilliant, these centres really do work. If you feel there should be a centre where you live, please lobby your council and MP.

C

TitsalinaBumSquash

Oh bum i have just realised im not going to be here, DS is in hospital on Friday. sad

Ok Jamie i shall ask you now (and then fall over in delight if you answer)

Im am flabbergasted that people get right through to middle age without learing to cook at all and i totally don't get the whole 'i don't have time thing' so its great that you have brought out 30 minute meals.

My question is, was your 'pass it on' campaigne as sucsessful as you would have liked and if not why do you think that was?

Love your work, keep it up!

p.s - your Children are gorgeous! [samile]

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 09:29:29

TheSquodgit

Jamie how much importance do you place on eating organic produce?

The truth is organics are often wonderful - they don't use chemicals and a lot of the v strict requirements mean that organic food is more likely to be produced using old fashioned farming methods. Saying that it's not a passport to better flavour and if it's been hanging around the warehouse for days then it's not a passport to better nutrician. Fresh and local would be my preference. I would suggest every Mnetter buys into organic milk and dairy. Dairy is generally in a mess and organic dairy farms are in real danger so I wholeheartedly support organic farms.

To sum up, the chances of getting something tastier and more nutricious are probably higher in organic produce but ultimately it's about not having chemicals in your diet and that's up to your preference. I think buying locally is the real key.

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 15-Oct-10 09:30:05

Hello Jamie

<waves very enthusiastically>

I'm joining in from Mumsnet's "country outpost" (am about 10 miles from The Cricketersgrin).

I'm preg with number 2 and struggling to get my 2.5 son to eat more adventurously/ same food as us

Are any of your kids fussy - how do you/Jools deal with it?

TIA

Allison2 Fri 15-Oct-10 09:31:28

I ate recently at Jamie's Italian in Cambridge and was appalled at the large amounts of oil, cheese and salt in the dishes. I had expected to be served healthy food, but left very concerned. I will not be going back. Such a shame and does not do your reputation any good.

daisystone Fri 15-Oct-10 09:32:44

Hi Jamie

do your girls like all of the food that you cook? Or are there things that they won't touch? How do you deal with that?

Have they come home asking for things that you simply won't entertain giving them? (eg: Cheese strings or chicken nuggets)

Keep up the good work. Love your programmes and love your Italian cookbook - it is one of my favourites.

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 09:33:38

VinegaRigamorTits

Jamie, how can i get my fussy 4 yr old to eat sandwiches? (he will only eat cocktail sausages in his packed lunch hmm)

also, if you could choose a halloween name (take note of mine) what would it be?

I've worked with loads of parents who struggle with packed lunches and like any other aspect of cooking you need to get them involved, sandwiches can be done 1000 different ways , burritos, pittas, mini rolls etc etc try and find a way that gets your kid into it. There's not a simple way. Don't take the sausage thing as a negative, use that as a vehicle to get him to eat different things and most importantly have fun with food . This solves nearly all problems. It doesn't happen over night and at the same time kids' palettes are changing monthly so perfection doesn't exist. If you're expressing your concern you're already showing that you're a brilliant parent and your natural instincts in conjunction with interaction and having fun with food will get you where you want to be.

sethstarkaddersmummyreturns Fri 15-Oct-10 09:33:57

my dd (Laura) would like to know if you teach your children to cook.

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 09:34:47

Good question, I have a great team of people who all believe in what we're trying to do but I always make sure there's enough time in the diary to take care of the things that need my input. The books, for example, take a lot of my time because I choose all the importatnt stuff like the type of paper as well as writing all the recipes which we then test at least three times. A lot of love and sweat goes into everything from the magazine right down to the pasta sauces.

thereistheball

Hi Jamie - firstly I'd like to congratulate you on all the different projects you've started to improve the world you find around you. Aside from being a great and inspiring cook, I think you deserve credit for tackling the school dinner problem, and for starting 15, and for trying to educate the nation about delicious, healthy food.

My question is about how your empire runs: how do you balance your interests in the books you write, the TV programmes you present and appear on, your two restaurant chains, the cookware you deseign, the magazine you publish, and so on. Running any of these is a full time job. How closely can you be involved with any one project?

Jenski Fri 15-Oct-10 09:34:56

Allison2

Did you have macaroni cheese? grin

Romanarama Fri 15-Oct-10 09:34:58

shock @ Allison I would be appalled to have an Italian meal that didn't have loads of oil in it

VinegaRigamorTits Fri 15-Oct-10 09:35:14

you cant expect to go for an italian and not get lots of oil and cheese, salt is a personal preference i think, peronally i love lots of salt (and cheese and oil)

just saying like

TheBrideOfBlatherstein Fri 15-Oct-10 09:36:13

I'm going to a Jamie Oliver party at SIL's house next week. What would you suggest I buy?

champagnesupernova Fri 15-Oct-10 09:38:17

Brideofblatherstein
If they sell the well-handy platters, get one or two of those - in constant use in my house.

maduggar Fri 15-Oct-10 09:38:41

Whats a Jamie Oliver party?? I feel like i need to attend one grin

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 09:38:42

This is the question of the century. You can have a direct/indirect route, or another way of putting this would be honest/dishonest way.

When I was faced with 1700 school kids that didn't want to eat veg. I used to make a 13 veg tomato sauce that went in their pizza, curry, pasta, and soups and they all ate it when they said they hated all those vegetables that I'd hidden. You could take this approach at home as well - using a hand blender to mush up all the veg in the sauce so your kids never know it's there. So it works, but hiding veg is short term fix as it doesn't open their minds to making the choice to eat veg for themselves.

At the same time, I have never ever worked with a child of any background ethnically/economically where if they have grown/picked something haven't then at least tried that something. This is why my next ten years is about trying to get vegetable gardens and fruit frees in primary schools. If you see it, and are involved in it, you will always eat it. That really is the metaphor. Getting them involved and engaged is the metaphor for you to recreate in the market, the supermarket. Allow kids to smell, touch, try. They might not like these things right now, don't worry that's normal and getting them to try something at all is a great first step. The most powerful thing you can do is to have a culture of being open minded, always try something even if you end spitting it out, so be mindful of the example that you are setting your kids about your own attitude to trying new things.

AvocadoBrother2

Hi Jamie,
I find it really hard to get my kids to eat their greens...I'm sure most mums have the same problem! I am constantly trying to come up with new ways to disguise them and make them more appealing. What's the most inventive way you have got your little ones to eat their veggies?

VinegaRigamorTits Fri 15-Oct-10 09:39:16

thanks Jamie

btw my brother cooked us christmas dinner last year from your christmas recipe, it was THE best meal ive ever had

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 09:39:52

Thanks Aitch. If you're in the UK then I’m annoyed because there shouldn't be any need for flavoured milk in school. Milk's milk isn't it? I've dealt with many councils over the years and some are brilliant but sometimes you just get someone who can't see common sense. Keep fighting.

Aitch

Hi Jamie, I am currently discussing why on EARTH children in dd's school need to have a choice between plain, strawberry and chocolate milk with some annoying woman at the council. she tells me that it 'meets nutritional guidelines'. hmm

are you happy with the current nutritional guidelines?

TheBrideOfBlatherstein Fri 15-Oct-10 09:41:19

maduggar AFAIK, it's like a posh betterware party grin

AdoraBelleDearhart Fri 15-Oct-10 09:42:04

Hello Jamie, my DS1 is 10 and he loves cooking we do alot together as he helps with every meal. and some times he cooks for all of us. (I deal with the oven and draining ect)
He wants to have cooking lessons but we can not find one that allows Children his age( I have said I would go as well.) How are we going to keep him and others intrested when they have lernt pretty much what we know?

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 09:42:18

Hi Jollydiane. Your mum sounds like she was a lovely lady. It’s funny you should mention leftovers because they might well make an appearance in one of my books at some point so watch this space. But a good general get-out-of-trouble suggestion would be to go to the recipe section at www.Jamieoliver.Com and type in the ingredient you've got left over. You should get plenty of ideas for using it up. Good luck.

jollydiane

I lost my mum who was a wonderful cook; your books gave the inspiration to cook for my family as mum had done for me. When you get tired or fed up, remember people like me who are so grateful. I have just finished my cod wrapped in rosemary and bacon dinner.

One request, could we have a chapter or two that gives you a weekly planner so you know what to buy and can plan so there are no leftovers. I get annoyed with myself for forgetting ingredients or have leftovers ingredients that I don?t know what to do with.

invisibleink Fri 15-Oct-10 09:43:07

Hi Jaime <squeals!>

Just wante dto pass on thanks for all you are doing for the cook fresh movement. So many parents use freezer processed stuff and think I am odd!

Am going to buy your new 30 min meals book when I have the money - what is your fave recipe in there? Also, which ones are good to do with three kids under your feet?

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 09:43:27

Bunbaker

I love the 30 minute dinners programme. I would go so far as to say it is the best yet - inspiring dishes and, even better, no gimmickry.

As fillet steak is beyond my pocket what cut would you suggest for a speedy "roast" beef?

Sadly that is the only cut for a speedy roast beef which is why I apologetically wrote that this is the only way but that was for 30 min meals and out of that zone the good news is you can put piece of brisket, which costs nothing in a tray seasoned with salt pepper rosemary. It takes 45 seconds to put in oven and leave while you go to work for 8 hours. You'll come back to even better cut of meat than fillet steak in every way. And I still class this as fast food.

30 min meals required me to deliver in 30 mins and fillet steak ticked the box. To a real cook there is no difference between the cheaper cuts of meat and real expensive types of meat - prime cuts can be cooked and eaten v quickly - cheaper cuts, sadly named second class cuts in the industry, need to go low and slow.

The simple fact is if you have the knowledge of cooking having smaller budgets or less cash to put food on table has always historically created the most interested meals and best recipes and noble folks' cooking has always been boring and predictable - lobster port and cream fillet steak stuff. If you've got less to spend use it to your advantage. The whole of cooking in last 1000 years has shown tight budgets produce best food.

thereistheball Fri 15-Oct-10 09:43:53

Thanks for answering my question Jamie.

LoveBeingAMardyBum Fri 15-Oct-10 09:44:20

Hi Jamie sorry I am late, it is Dh'd birthday today, please can you say happy birthday to him, he is 41 today! grin

invisibleink Fri 15-Oct-10 09:44:36

Also (sorry!) with the healthy school meals - our serves chips and wedges three times a week! Do you think this is a lot??

Loujalou Fri 15-Oct-10 09:45:41

[Gush alert] I have to say I am loving my Ministry of Food cookbook. There are so many simple but yummy recipes in there. I was recommended the book and have told lots of people to buy it. I have your new book and need to try that out too.

Not sure if this has been asked but where do you get the inspiration for your recipes - do you have a team that help you or do you sit there and figure them all out.

Jenzopos Fri 15-Oct-10 09:45:47

Hi Jamie. I,ve really been enjoying what you have been doing for school meals both here and America..I used to work in a school and the meals were pretty shocking...a long way from the proper cooked meals I had when I was at school. I'm certain a good meal in kids helps them to do better academically!

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 09:46:46

Thanks for the kind words, TT. I think you've successfully given your campaign a boost through this question being in mumsnet. I don't know much about those sausages myself but mine are in tesco now and my food guys visit the farms to make sure the pigs are well looked after.

treacletart

Jamie, Thank you.

I struggle to think of one individual who has had as profound or direct an impact on contemporary Britain.

And, I think amongst all the important campaigns, some may have forgotten it was you who made cooking cool and accessible to young men. 10 years ago men who cooked regularly for friends, partners of their families were genuinely exceptional. You changed that. I am forever grateful and legions of women thank you for it too.

Reading the negative comments on the G2 article this evening saddened me. There are plenty shallow ways you could have exploited your fame or your eloquence. I'm more cynical than most, but I am humbled by the choices you have made and by your commitment and your passion to make people happy.

Now, I know animal welfare is an important issue for you and don't mean to hijack, but wondered if you had any thoughts on my current lonely crusade against Porkinson Sausages. I used to buy them because they used outdoor reared pork. Their website and Tesco Online still proudly wave the outdoor reared flag, but in fact Kerry Foods who produce Porkinson (& it transpires Richmond sausages too) changed their Porkinson product last month and no longer use outdoor reared pork. I know welfare is a complex matter, but this seems like such a regressive step. It's gutting large producers can cut animal welfare so heavily out of their branding mix at a time when it should be even higher on the agenda.

BTW I think the new series is genius!

VinegaRigamorTits Fri 15-Oct-10 09:47:33

shall we pick a halloween name for you?

how about

JamieBloodAllOver
JamieEatsLivers
JamieOilgetYouMyPretty

<must try harder>

invisibleink Fri 15-Oct-10 09:48:35

YY to the Jaime Halloween name!!

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 09:48:53

Yup. I drip feed my kids, in disguise. It's not like a proper, formal lesson. I give them jobs in the kitchen. I make one lay the table, one make a dressing, one pick herbs from the garden. They make salad dressing (jam jar dressing, they like to watch the olive and vinegar mix and drop down the sides) and they will eat salad - they like soft leave salads (not the peppery ones).

They only time I formally taught them, I gave my two eldest, Poppy and Daisy, a challenge that if they could learn every herb in the garden (I swore I wouldn't ever do this, but I did they had to learn every herb in the garden - 40 of them - and get it right 3 times, I would buy them a microscooter, Thinking I would never have to. But they got it right in an hour! Then I thought that's too easy, so I made them do it by smell blind folded and they did that in 2 hours. Then I thought I was being mugged. So I asked my gardener to test them again, when he showed up to work on Monday. It turned out he only knew 38 our of the 40, so Poppy and Daisy ended up with 2 micro scooters. The possibilities of children and knowledge constantly surprise me, if they are incentivised in the right way. To be honest, I think Poppy is a better parent than I am, her attention to detail (at age 7) is outrageous!

sethstarkaddersmummyreturns

my dd (Laura) would like to know if you teach your children to cook.

TheBrideOfBlatherstein Fri 15-Oct-10 09:48:59

JamieOliGore?

Nuttybear Fri 15-Oct-10 09:49:26

Nuttybear here. Thank you for your reply.
I'll have to buy the book now to see your kitchen tips! Gina Ford of cooking LOL grin
5.30pm isn't the best time for us to watch a cookery programe as that's the time I prepare tea for my little one. (No telly in kitchen) Never mind there is always replay or get a box set. (I like to keep the economy going by spending ha!ha!)
You are right about growing their own veg. Ds will only eat tomatoes he has planted and picked off the plant confused
AvocadoBrother2 I have found different people cooking different things for DS works.
He likes grannies cabbage in minetrone. Aunties stir-fry cabbage!
Now back to flying the kitchen won't clean it self! sad

LeninGrad Fri 15-Oct-10 09:49:49

Blimey, you're on fire, are you typing this yourself?

I'm glad you do what you do (and I think your kids' names are great, ignore the naysayers). Will look at your 30-minute thing, two kids under five here and we need some new quick and easy ideas.

Agree re: packed lunches, let them pack them from a choice you provide, they are more likely to eat it.

Hope your food ministries take off and that school breakfasts, lunches and teas continue to be provided to those who need them. We should be ashamed as a nation if we allow children to go hungry.

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 09:50:20

Honeylate, I tend to be working in the week so often Jools cooks and then I take over at weekends. This doesn't help you though. I think the biggest problem busy people have is coming up with ideas for dinner. We're doing a lot of the 30-minute meals at the moment so try to catch some of the programmes on C4 and hopefully something will excite you.

HoneyIatethekidsdragon

Jamie Hello <<excited>>

I will ask my question now so dd cannot prevent me typing it on Friday morning demanding milk!

You are extremly devoted to what you do, especially the training of your younger chefs as well as the promotion of better food. I should imagine that level of responsibility you have taken on makes it hard to 100% switch of a great deal. I, like many other people here, I'm sure, have a dh in a similar (but not as noble or widescale) position workwise. So I was wondering what simple family meal do you like be able to come home to, that you Jools and the kids can eat together that allows you some downtime with the family?

Thankyou

sarah293 Fri 15-Oct-10 09:51:06

Message withdrawn

ChristmasTrulyReigns Fri 15-Oct-10 09:51:28

Just got in from chaotic school run and put 30 minutes on while I MN to calm down wink to remember Jamie is here live, and has answered my question!

Yay Fish Pie rocks!

Inetersting answer to the scheduling - am glad it's working out so well with a different audience.

Thanks everso, Jamie, for answering my cheeky 2 questions (alopogies MNHQ).

<<off to book Jme at Home Party grin>>

Duritzfan Fri 15-Oct-10 09:51:41

Hi Jamie

I am a big fan of yours... my daughter loves the cookery classes at your Recipease branches - she is 11...However I was really shocked about your recent comments on your programme where you generalised between the two types of diabetes.. I would like to ask you as a parent to point out the differences between the types - my daughter is 11 and has been horribly bullied at school with other children calling her names because diabetes is seen a s something "fat kids get" .. I am sure you are well aware that there are two different types and I and all the parents of children with type 1 diabetes would really really appreciate an ambassador such as yourself who could help raise awareness in the meedja of the differences between the types.

Please would you give it some thought ?

We spend a fortune on your books and in Recipease ..the Meatballs are the best !!!

Also, while I'm asking - a Gluten Free cookbook or a cookbook for kids which includes some Diabetes and Coeliac recipes would be a big asset to your range I think !

Congrats on your recent arrival to you and Jules..and thanks for listening !

pollyannasgladgame Fri 15-Oct-10 09:52:27

Mornin Jamie,

How do you expect the Coalition's spending cuts to impact on healthy eating in schools? (Or is it a bit early for that sort of question?)

I'm a teacher in a secondary school (on maternity not skiving off ;) where you can't buy a dessert on its own without a main course - am wondering if the ethics will withstand the financial imperative...?

AnaEspanola Fri 15-Oct-10 09:52:32

Hi Jamie,

I'm always trying to be inventive in the kitchen and come up with new and wacky combinations that work. What's the most unusual recipe you've ever made?

friendly Fri 15-Oct-10 09:53:36

Congratulations on the new addition to your family. Fantastic

Please could you do a vegetarian cookery book!

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 09:53:50

Yes, next summer so long as all the planning stuff works out. Birmingham next month - that's exciting.

GreatGooglyMoogly

Welcome to MN Jamie . Is it true that you are going to open a Jamie's Italian in St Albans?

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 09:53:55

kveta

oh god, can I join in with the general fawning please? I LOVE your books and DH (who is a czech with next to no interest in food if it isn't a) served with dumplings and b) predominantly meat) has even been converted by some of your recipes into eating shock vegetables occasionally! I too believe you are sincere and am very grateful to you - it's a shame that the government keep on wanking on about healthy eating without DOING anything about it, and it would be nice if they could listen to you.

2 questions I'm afraid:
1. my friend saw you in our local sainsburys (stortford) a couple of christmases ago and still wonders if you get an employee discount - do you?
2. ditto the request for a children's TV show and book - real food which is suitable for very young kids would be great (like some easy meat balls, roasted veg etc - to show people that babies don't need mush from jars! Aitch can tell you more about baby led weaning, but I'm astonished at my friends only feeding their babies from jars then being surprised that they won't touch home made food once they get a bit older), as well as food children can cook for themselves.

p.s. we used to have a Jamie Oliver Olive oil drinking game - every time you mentioned it in your shows, we'd down a drink. I had never made it to the end of one of your TV programmes sober until DS was on his way and I had to grow up. I'm not complaining though

I don't get an employee discount I have mentioned it a few times and everyone just looks at me and says you're paid enough. But it's not about the money it's about being part of the family isn't it? So you're actually picking up on a very sensitive emotional aspect of a ten year relationship. smile.

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 09:54:19

daisystone

Hi Jamie

do your girls like all of the food that you cook? Or are there things that they won't touch? How do you deal with that?

Have they come home asking for things that you simply won't entertain giving them? (eg: Cheese strings or chicken nuggets)

Keep up the good work. Love your programmes and love your Italian cookbook - it is one of my favourites.

The kids generally like the food I cook I try and get them to steer what I'm going to cook so they feel involved. They do question chilli I put in food sometimes but they're used to that now. They've got slightly different things they do and don't like and I'll negotiate around certain things or put it on their plate knowing they might not take it. They don't want cheesestrings because compared to a nice piece of cheese they taste like crap and even kids know that, but if it's all they're given then that;s what they'll buy into along with the adverts. On chicken nuggets I cooked with a bunch of young mums the other day and I showed them how you could make chicken nuggets from RSPCA freedom chicken from scratch in 12 minutes, the frozen ones they were buying were 20p more expensive for the same quantity and took 20 mins to reheat and there was only 50% chicken in them and they saw they could save time, money and most importantly the difference in taste and texture and they threw the other ones away, said they tasted muddy. That kind of work makes me really happy and I did the same demo on a chinese take away, and fish as well.

This is the thing that drives me. It's so inspiring to see how simple bits of good clear info can change lives for mums, kids and the way those kids treat their kids. It empowers people and makes mums feel like mums again and brings happiness and health at the same time with the rounded approach.

I think we're lucky in England because we're good at bashing ourselves where Americans love each other. Supermarkets have never been better. The clean up of hidden shit in food in the last 4 years has really improved. Even Walkers have made wonderful changes, you'd have to eat 3 packs of crisps to get the same amount of saturated fat as 5 years ago. So brands making positive change the like for like thing that you love and buy into alone can make profound health changes and conjunction with good attitude to food.

BoffinMum Fri 15-Oct-10 09:54:21

Jamie, two of us mums are now discussing a collaboration on a cookbook for children with specialised diets as a result of this webchat, which has to be a good thing. Can we come back to you about this via proper channels if the project comes off?

Fredfred Fri 15-Oct-10 09:55:42

Hi Jamie,

Congrats on the birth of Buddy. I love all your cooking books and programmes. They have really helped me out as I love cooking, but find it quite difficult and your recepies are easy to follow.

My DD is nearly 2 and sometimes won't even put new food into her mouth, she just says 'don't like it' without even trying it, any suggestions?

Oh, also, please tell Jules to write another book, I LOVED reading her first one!!!

Thanks.

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 09:56:17

Glad to hear you like Ministry of Food - hope you find 30 Minute Meals just as useful!

Inspiration comes from loads of places - thin air, a dream, reading something in a book or a magazine, a conversation, talking or seeing produce or a a farmer, a mistake, luck.

I have a fantastically talented team of people who test all the recipes to be sure they can work for anyone, and also help do research for TV. I've got a great team, but they are ultimately driven by me and they are my recipes. Every recipe I write is tested 5 times (even 2 times more than good housekeeping). It's really important to me that my food is accessible to everyone.

Loujalou

[Gush alert] I have to say I am loving my Ministry of Food cookbook. There are so many simple but yummy recipes in there. I was recommended the book and have told lots of people to buy it. I have your new book and need to try that out too.

Not sure if this has been asked but where do you get the inspiration for your recipes - do you have a team that help you or do you sit there and figure them all out.

Housemum Fri 15-Oct-10 09:56:32

Jamie please don't tell everyone about using chicken thighs - you, Nigella (sorry, is that swearing on here?) and the Sainsbury's mag all had nice recipes with them so there have been none in Sainsbo's all week! ;)

kveta Fri 15-Oct-10 09:57:04

well I hope you manage to save up loads of nectar points instead!
thanks for answering, I shall tell my friend when I see her later

Jenski Fri 15-Oct-10 09:57:11

I asked some questions back on page 4 about cooking with 3-4 year olds at school - please can i have an answer? Pretty please... wink

maduggar Fri 15-Oct-10 09:57:35

I used to rely on convenience foods, until my mum bought me the Ministry of Food book - now my kids get a proper home cooked meal 6 days out of 7 - so thank you! I had no idea how to cook before that (took woodwork at school instead of cookery!).

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 09:57:40

friendly

Congratulations on the new addition to your family. Fantastic

Please could you do a vegetarian cookery book!

I'm gonna do a big veggie bible in the next year. I just had the thumbs up to do it yesterday. Although every single one of my books has been 60% veggie, my vegetarian friends almost take it as form of veggie racism that I haven't done a veggie book so after 10 years I've caved in grin.

sarah293 Fri 15-Oct-10 09:57:47

Message withdrawn

Loujalou Fri 15-Oct-10 09:57:56

Thanks Jamie for answering my question. Am looking forward to Jamie's Italian in St Albans grin

domeafavour Fri 15-Oct-10 09:58:55

I can't believe you don't get staff discount!!
Shall we start a campaign?

VinegaRigamorTits Fri 15-Oct-10 09:59:20

TheBride grin JamieOliGore is inspired!

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 09:59:36

Yuno, hope that dream wasn't a nightmare. Jools is very good with timetables, mealtimes and bedtime so that never really happens in our house. Sorry. I’m afraid I don’t have one magic dish to give you. But if they’re hungry and it’s late, nothing heavy.

YunoYurbubson

Hello Jamie.

I had a rude dream about you once.

Jamie's America is fantastic. All my American friends love it.

What meal do you throw at your kids when it's already 10 past death hour and everyone needs to be fed and in bed 5 minutes ago?

And... do you ever have to cook with whinging children clinging to your thighs?

TheBrideOfBlatherstein Fri 15-Oct-10 09:59:44

<bows>

MmeBodyInTheBasement Fri 15-Oct-10 09:59:50

Have just ordered the new book and the MOF one that everyone has been raving about.

Fab web chat, either you are a quick typist or you have a team of secretaries with you.

Can you post the chicken nuggets recipe?

Jenzopos Fri 15-Oct-10 10:00:14

I watched a programme a few weeks ago that revealed what was in cheap sausages and hotdogs....don't think id ever eat a hotdog again!

Hi Jamie - can anyone have too many cook books? DW thinks I have - I think we can squueze a few more in.

Deliaskis Fri 15-Oct-10 10:00:44

[Also gush alert] probably too late and not really a question anyway, but your American Food Revolution is one of the few docu style programmes that has me both filling up with tears and cheering and clapping at the TV all in one evening. Any update on how the revolution is carrying on months later?

By the way love your 'stealth veg' approach with some of the kids, I do this with my Brownies on pack holiday - 'who like leeks?' 'Yuck!', 'well you all just ate them in the Shepherd's Pie that you said was the best you'd ever had!'.

D

sethstarkaddersmummyreturns Fri 15-Oct-10 10:00:49

oh how brilliant that you're doing a veggie book! Can't wait!

BoffinMum Fri 15-Oct-10 10:00:51

Only just finished my Book of Boff housekeeping manual, Riven, and have no clue how to get these types of things published as I only ever write academic things usually, and that is a totally different ball game, but it sounds like this might be a goer too. I will keep you in the loop. Email is boffinmum at hotmail dot co dot uk.

Loujalou Fri 15-Oct-10 10:01:26

Sainsburys had the new book cheap!! Cheaper than Amazon in fact....

ledodgy Fri 15-Oct-10 10:01:28

YunoYurbubson Noodles and stir fried veg is really quick and healthy with a bit of soy and worcester sauce mixed in. My children love it and it takes 5 mins. :smile:

MmeBodyInTheBasement Fri 15-Oct-10 10:02:16

Deliaskis
I thought you put leeks in chocolate brownies shock

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 10:02:28

Ok, Merk, I'd better not comment about those other guys but i can assure you that I have quality control. The thing with the homewares is that they're all great quality and value and if I don't like something, I won't do it. Yes, I'm encouraging people to cook but I also love making food look great and making food easier to prepare so i'm happy to work with tefal and all the other partners to put great products out there.

30andMerkin

Hi Jamie

Am a big fan - massive respect for the campaigning work, own several much used cookbooks, love the TV shows, and have been lucky enough to eat at Fifteen Cornwall and adored that meal. Very impressed with the Jamie' Italian we visited in Brighton too.

But... don't you ever worry you're spreading yourself too thin? Shades of Gordon Ramsay? You're great at getting people into cooking but I'm not sure what endorsed homewares have to do with that... beware the spectre of Antony Worrall Thompson Fresh and Green Stain Remover!

RiverOfSleep Fri 15-Oct-10 10:02:51

Hi Jamie

I asked my question way back when - please can you ask Jools to write a cookbook of what she feeds the family?

Deliaskis Fri 15-Oct-10 10:03:19

MmeBody LOL, I think even I'd probably rule that one out!

D

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 10:03:39

Hi AnaEspanola

I think when you're a cook you're trying so many things that usual and unusual become a blur. I don't actually like being too wacky, although when I've eaten Heston's food it's been amazing.

AnaEspanola

Hi Jamie,

I'm always trying to be inventive in the kitchen and come up with new and wacky combinations that work. What's the most unusual recipe you've ever made?

LoveBeingAMardyBum Fri 15-Oct-10 10:03:51

Maybe Jools should come for a webchat also.

dreamingofsun Fri 15-Oct-10 10:05:19

Hi Jamie

please can you get sainsburys online to tell us where their meat comes from. Ever since you did that programme about pigs I've tried to buy British, but you can't see country of origin online and a lots imported from abroad.

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 10:06:52

MmeBodyInTheBasement

Have just ordered the new book and the MOF one that everyone has been raving about.

Fab web chat, either you are a quick typist or you have a team of secretaries with you.

Slice a bit of chicken 1cm thick, bit of salt and pepper, dust in flour in sandwich bag to save mess/washing up. Shake of excess, toss in beaten egg. Shake off excess, toss in breadcrumbs (ideally dried which you should make with you leftovers by whizzing in food processor) Fry in olive oil in non stick pan or put a little oil with breadcrumbs you can bake them in oven.

Definitely a great contender for weekly kids' meal (not every day).

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 10:06:54

pollyannasgladgame

Mornin Jamie,

How do you expect the Coalition's spending cuts to impact on healthy eating in schools? (Or is it a bit early for that sort of question?)

I'm a teacher in a secondary school (on maternity not skiving off ;) where you can't buy a dessert on its own without a main course - am wondering if the ethics will withstand the financial imperative...?

I see where you're coming from, and there have been a lot of questions on school food. I don't know where to start it's such a big subject but I'm due to see head of education and health in the next month and I can give you an intelligent answer them. My general worry from 7 years ago and for the future is that we need someone credible to represent, head up, protect and inspire all the right changes within the government on school food as a key strategy to public health in this obesity epidemic. The school food trust which was a quango anyway has just been rolled up so I have many question marks about the future of how a modern british secondary and primary should work. The sad fact is that school meals can be sustainable, they can make money that can go back into the system or the school, but someone at some stage has to invest money to get the schools and the system of school food into the shape that will allow them to do that post 35 years of neglect and non investment. It's a big old subject, I'm completely with you and it still keeps me up at night for sure. It keeps me up because with 26 000 primary schools and 3500 secondary schools and 5 and half million kids going to school every day of which half have a hot school meal and half have packed lunch, for 190 days of the year from the age of 4-16 the government along with families are wholly responsible for at least half of every child's nutrition and therefore wholly responsible for half of bad health in these dark times of the obesity epidemic.

Dinner ladies need to be loved supported given the tools to do their job efficiently and paid properly and I can promise you because I know and have worked with 100's of these ladies they will over deliver whole heartedly. They are doing the best they can right now but the system is like being back in the 1920's

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 10:07:01

Thanks, Posie. I like hugh a lot. I love delia, of course. Sophie's a mate.

PosieComeHereMyPreciousParker

Also have to say Delia ,meh but she was the beginning, Heston (creative but not really teaching me anything I can use and Gordon, tosser.

Who is your favourite TV chef? (you're mine, favourite series America)

Jenski Fri 15-Oct-10 10:07:18

Has Jamie gone now?

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 15-Oct-10 10:08:31

Hello. Official plug person here.

If you'd like to buy the Gina Ford of Cooking aka Jamie's 30-Minute Meals, you can do it via our handy link.

<clicks on link madly herself>

LoveBeingAMardyBum Fri 15-Oct-10 10:09:31

Thanks Jamie, any chance you could send on the rnach dressing recipe? wink

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 10:10:09

Here's a bunch of updates that we've done: www.jamiesfoodrevolution.com

In short, great things are happening. The town of Huntington on it's own merit is keeping the Kitchen alive, busy and funded. The big locale church is doing fund raisers and cooking fresh food for the hundreds of people in their congregation. All the schools in the area have gone from junk to fresh. My role was to bring the town together as a united front. It's early days but it was about getting them to help themselves. And the good news is that I'm going to do a 2nd season which we're filming early next year, where we can get more in depth and inspire the public to have an opinion and demand more of their supermarkets, fast food retailers, and their governments in regards to school food.

Deliaskis

[Also gush alert] probably too late and not really a question anyway, but your American Food Revolution is one of the few docu style programmes that has me both filling up with tears and cheering and clapping at the TV all in one evening. Any update on how the revolution is carrying on months later?

By the way love your 'stealth veg' approach with some of the kids, I do this with my Brownies on pack holiday - 'who like leeks?' 'Yuck!', 'well you all just ate them in the Shepherd's Pie that you said was the best you'd ever had!'.

D

VinegaRigamorTits Fri 15-Oct-10 10:10:11

I've asked Father chirstmas to for it smile

sarah293 Fri 15-Oct-10 10:10:36

Message withdrawn

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 10:10:37

Hey Brookeslay. Great college great wall. I don't really have one signature dish any more. I've cooked too many things. Boring answer, I know. I suppose one of the things I come back to time and again would be a slow roast pork shoulder.

brookeslay

Hi Jamie,

Fellow Ex Westminster College Student Here.

Congratulations on your latest Addition to the family. ( Wonders if your have anymore ??)

Real question What is your Signatire Dish or the one you like to cook and never tire of ?

Cheers B x

p.s I used to sit on that little wall outside college and saw once it was your favourite picture.

TheBrideOfBlatherstein Fri 15-Oct-10 10:10:42

Me too

Hi Jamie - whats the take been like for your new schools teaching programme? Have asked my DW to try to get it into her EBD school as the skills there are very relevant.

sethstarkaddersmummyreturns Fri 15-Oct-10 10:11:23

OMG he was fab! what a great webchat! Thank you so much, Jamie & Jamie's people & MNHQ.
sorry I asked two questions blush. DD is going to be beside herself with joy when I show her his answer to hers though.

sarah293 Fri 15-Oct-10 10:11:56

Message withdrawn

RiverOfSleep Fri 15-Oct-10 10:12:31

Ooh can't beat the slow roast pork shoulder. Thats why my oven is FILTHY!

VinegaRigamorTits Fri 15-Oct-10 10:12:47

<goes off to stalk Jamie on twitter>

RiverOfSleep Fri 15-Oct-10 10:13:39

I think hes still here, surely he wouldn't leave without saying goodbye?

MmeBodyInTheBasement Fri 15-Oct-10 10:14:14

Thanks Jamie. I wondered if you chopped up the chicken but then that wouldn't make sense really. Will try it out.

sethstarkaddersmummyreturns Fri 15-Oct-10 10:15:27

MmeBody - I do the chicken nuggets recipe often, easy peasy and kids love it. I use bashed up cream crackers instead of breadcrumbs (which is also from a Jamie book) and the kids like doing the bashing.

RiverOfSleep Fri 15-Oct-10 10:16:11

MmeBody I chop the chicken up with scissors when I make them [am lazy]

sethstarkaddersmummyreturns Fri 15-Oct-10 10:16:21

sorry I thought he had gone when HelenMumsnet posted blush

TheBrideOfBlatherstein Fri 15-Oct-10 10:17:50

I flatten the chicken breast with a meat hammer rather than cut it into thin strips. Makes it more tender IMO.

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 15-Oct-10 10:18:49

MmeBodyInTheBasement

Re the typing - there were five of us desperately trying to keep up with Jamie!

Thanks Jamie for a brilliant chat - he promises to come back and test some recipes with us and to keep us posted on his chats with the department of health and education.

Thanks to all for your participation.

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 10:19:10

NigellaPleaseComeDineWithMe

Hi Jamie - can anyone have too many cook books? DW thinks I have - I think we can squueze a few more in.

Not if you cook but yes if you don't cook. I don't have a go to cook book party because I'm dyslexic which is ironic as I've written 14 books. In short all the inspirational writers in my life have been women. And altho women don't think they have the advantage they do because all their instincts are maternal and about nourishing their family as opposed to blokes who try and control nature shape it mould it and use it as a weapon to look better and I genuinely mean that. So my inspiration to name a few are Stephanie alexander from Australia, Marcello Hussan, Patricia Wells. Elizabeth David, Rose Gray, Ruth Rogers, Alice Waters - all of these women are great great cooks with a sensibility that is bang on and any of their books are great.

On the blokes thing - I know I'm a bloke- but for blokes to be good is simple but I think they have to think like a woman to really get it right (and I'm not just saying that because I'm on Mumsnet wink)

I firmly believe that as chefs women have confidence problems and sadly every year I lose lots of young women chefs and students from 15 not cos they can't do it, but because they think can't handle the level of stress in a commercial kitchen which sadly is just not true. So we need the Spice Girls of cooking, bit of girl power.

OhLuckyYou Fri 15-Oct-10 10:20:01

I do the chicken nuggets too, they are dead easy. The recipe is in The Dinnerlady cookbook too, sorry for plugging another cookbook but Jamie did write the foreword to it so I'm sure he won't mind smile

Greedygirl Fri 15-Oct-10 10:20:10

Fab chat! So glad that your campaign has started to make a difference in Huntingdon - my jaw was on the floor in the early episodes! You must work a ridiculous amount of hours though! Great advice about using your child's obsession to introduce them to different foods. Not sure how I can use biscuits in this way tho grin.

sethstarkaddersmummyreturns Fri 15-Oct-10 10:20:26

<goes straight to Amazon to order new book>
<gets chicken out of freezer to make nuggets with dcs later>
<sighs with contentment>

bytheMoonlight Fri 15-Oct-10 10:21:39

I know I'm too late now but I just wanted to say that MOF cookbook taught both dh and I to cook from scratch and completly changed the way we eat in our house.

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 10:21:53

Thanks all, have to go now but I've really enjoyed it and will be back. Big love Jamie xx

hairymelons Fri 15-Oct-10 10:22:05

My question was answered, yey! Thanks Jamie!

OliviaMumsnet, it was pretty much the same as yours, he responded right at the start. Spookily, DS1 is the same age as yours and am due any day with no.2...

RiverOfSleep Fri 15-Oct-10 10:24:09

Bye Jamie and THANK YOU xx

LilyBolero Fri 15-Oct-10 10:24:18

Hi Jamie,

What would you do with a 9 year old boy who actually has a food phobia - he won't eat any meat except mince (so I buy best quality mince), frankfurters and fish fingers (again I try and get the best possible). No fruit and veg except peas, grapes (which is a recent addition), fruit juice/smoothies, and occasionally a very smooth tomato pasta sauce.

We have tried EVERYTHING - we tried him on school dinners, but he ate nothing for 1/2 a term at school. We have tried having 'the week of the carrot' - which worked with grapes, but not with anything else. If he has a 'not allowed' item on his plate he has to leave the room as it seems to be the smell that bothers him, and he shakes, is terrified and sometimes sick.

We do manage to get a vaguely balanced diet with limited rubbish, but it is SO hard, and his diet is SO limited. Any tips?

LilyBolero Fri 15-Oct-10 10:24:34

(oops, just spotted time blush)

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 15-Oct-10 10:30:58

Hello HairyMelons - I officially have 4 weeks to go. Thanks for the pointer to the answer. smile
See you on the birth announcements threads soon then, eh?grin

hairymelons Fri 15-Oct-10 10:38:07

Sooner rather than later hopefully!

I have to say that Jamie makes a very good point about

hairymelons Fri 15-Oct-10 10:40:29

Oops posted too soon, was going to say he makes a good point about young women and confidence issues in professional kitchens. It's so true.

We've just taken on a fab apprentice- no cooking experience but she has a great attitude and determination. It's so important to build her skills and confidence because I know (from my own experience) that when she goes to work elsewhere, there will be plenty of people (ie, insecure colleagues) who will want her to fail. Kitchens are changing but can still be horribly macho environments to work in.

Anyway, that's another thread. Thanks Jamie, come back soon!

And good luck Olivia

DanceOnTheDarkSide Fri 15-Oct-10 10:45:55

Oh bum i missed this (thought it was 11-12hmm) and had a really important question about EDs and food phobias (mine) and portion sizes and stuff.

Will have to remember for the next chef person.

nottirednow Fri 15-Oct-10 10:47:38

Message withdrawn

hairymelons Fri 15-Oct-10 11:18:47

Not as far as I can see, notttired.

pinkjello Fri 15-Oct-10 11:24:19

Sorry I missed it but can anyone tell me which book the chicken nugget recipe is in? Thanks

senua Fri 15-Oct-10 11:25:20

Couldn't be here for the live chat but have just caught up. Thanks for all the responses, Jamie, very inspiring. I might even go and buy one of your books!

I know that you explained your reasons for the timing of the 30 minute programmes but can I add another request for them to be (?repeated?) later - I haven't even left work at 5:30, never mind being at home with the TV on. If anyone needs quick recipes, it's working mums.

sethstarkaddersmummyreturns Fri 15-Oct-10 11:28:46

Ministry of Food (crunchy garlic chicken)

ohforfoxsake Fri 15-Oct-10 11:42:49

"Jools is very good with timetables, mealtimes and bedtime so that never really happens in our house."

Yeah, right Jamie.

Let's get Mrs Oliver in - I want to know her secret!

pinkjello Fri 15-Oct-10 11:43:46

Thanks

sethstarkaddersmummyreturns Fri 15-Oct-10 11:50:04

ha ha, what I reckon is that Jamie works late and Jools frantically rushes round getting everything sorted before Jamie comes in so he has no idea of the chaos grin

and he comes in and she's redone her make-up in proper 50s housewife style and he says 'Hard day dear?' and she says 'Oh no, everything's fine.' and she has remembered to swill out the wine glass and stick it at the back of the dishwasher so he doesn't realise she has been driven to drink by the hellishness of their offspring.

nogwells Fri 15-Oct-10 12:02:08

Fantastic stuff! Can't believe I missed it, DDS are at nursery Friday mornings so I went on a mammoth run round Richmond Park and I could have been sat here with a cup of tea and my (hastily) homemade biscuits chatting to Jamie Oliver! (instead I have deer poo on my trainers)

My only almost cookery book is an old 1950s housekeeping manual but I do lift ideas from the television more than anything and Jamie's recipes have always been easy enough the ingredients accessible and usually not too expensive.

What I wanted to say though is when I use a food processor I WHAZZ it up.. as a homage..to Jamie.

TheOldestCat Fri 15-Oct-10 12:04:26

Thanks for this, Jamie. You rock!

LadyBlaBlah Fri 15-Oct-10 12:13:22

God he's good

SpurtingJugulars Fri 15-Oct-10 12:58:35

I think I might have a teeny weeny crush on Jamie now.

Going to buy the 30min book for my DS to give me for Xmas

thinkingwoman Fri 15-Oct-10 12:58:38

Does anyone else think Jamie Oliver should have a role in the Government? Perhaps in the Cabinet. The man's a wonder.

bluesky Fri 15-Oct-10 13:03:53

I think having the 5 of you typing worked really well, it was a fast moving chat with plenty of talk from Jamie, lots of interesting things from it.

must watch his new programme at 5.30pm

i do agree bring in Jools!

bluesky Fri 15-Oct-10 13:04:21

thinkingwoman - yes I agree, his energy and enthusiasm are amazing

1234ThumbScrew Fri 15-Oct-10 13:07:33

The best web chat on MN ever, lots of answers, lots of content didn't feel like he had a team of spin doctors advising him like some we've had.

Fab

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 15-Oct-10 13:16:48

SpurtingJugulars

I think I might have a teeny weeny crush on Jamie now.

Going to buy the 30min book for my DS to give me for Xmas

You and the rest of us at MNHQ Spurting Jugulars - he was truly adorable - we're all slightly in dreamland this afternoon [sigh].

sarah293 Fri 15-Oct-10 14:07:41

Message withdrawn

nottirednow Fri 15-Oct-10 14:37:44

Message withdrawn

SoloBlackWidowSpidersWebSite Fri 15-Oct-10 14:54:28

<sobs> I missed him...Waaaah!

RunawayPumpkin Fri 15-Oct-10 15:53:37

I missed him sad shall now go read the catch up

justabit Fri 15-Oct-10 15:58:31

MNHQ. Can we please ask Jamie to report back on his meeting with the Government next month? I would be very interested to hear what they had to say/commitments they were prepared to make.

Prolesworth Fri 15-Oct-10 16:25:18

Message withdrawn

pointydog Fri 15-Oct-10 17:00:06

Oi. Jamie didn't answer my question re Slater's 30 minute meals.

I know Jamie's look great but if you want even quicker 30 minute meals, look at nigel slater's book wink

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 15-Oct-10 17:08:00

Really pleased you enjoyed the webchat as much as we did. Great news - Jamie's sent over some more answers to questions some of the advance questions you sent over. I'll post these up now. Thanks to everyone who joined in the chat. We're sure he'll be back.

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 17:09:51

nickstermum

Having to say again, Jamie you have been inspirational on America... are you planning on doing a childrens programme...?kids food?
that would be awesome

Hi Nickstermum, what inspired me was that I knew it would be the biggest challenge because it is the country with the biggest obesity problem. Have things changed? Well, I think slowly they are changing, but getting people to believe in what you’re trying to achieve and get excited about it takes time. I've got a team of really good people working there right now to keep things ticking over, and we've got some great businesses helping us – the guys from Chipotle are donating around a million dollars this Halloween and I believe the government knows that it needs to do more. It'll be a slow burn, but well worth it in the long run.

sethstarkaddersmummyreturns Fri 15-Oct-10 17:10:30

What a guy grin

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 17:11:52

coolma

Hey Jamie - I sent you an email a couple of weeks ago, asking if you might be interested in helping promote our social enterprise at Wintercomfort for the Homeless in Cambridge. Have you had any thoughts about that?

Sorry, Coolma, sometimes emails go astray. To be honest, my diary is pretty full for the next year and if I get involved in projects, I like to be able to devote proper time to them.

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 17:13:40

Hulababy

Ah - I am at work in the mornings!

I have the 30 minute meals book on my Christmas list - already have the rest - hoping for new inspiration for after work meals.

My 8y, Mollie, loves JO too and loves to cook, and has enjoyed many of the JO meals. She wants to ask:

What are your children's favourite meals?

Hulababy, they love all kinds of things. Homemade pizza, gnocchi, stews, you name it. Every now and then they’ll go through phases where they only want one thing. Poppy went mad for tinned plum tomatoes for a while – I don’t know why, but she asked for them all the time and loved them on toast. So I went with it, she enjoyed that for a while then it was on to the next thing.

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 17:15:27

Pochard

We enjoy lots of things from the Return of the Naked Chef and gobbled one of the receipes only this week. And congratulations on the birth of your son.

My question is: are you going transfer the very impressive and welcome success you had with campaigning for healthy school meals to hospital food for children, recently reported in the press as being also very unhealthy? (See Guardian 9 October for example)

Pochard, hospital food is something that all kinds of people have tried to fix. Lloyd grossman tried a few years ago, and recently I heard heston was getting involved. It's something I think about but it's not a campaign I'm planning right now.

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 17:16:28

TheDailyWail

Hi Jamie,

Congrats to you and your family on your new addition!

Ministry of food is a fantastic book and I use it all of the time for my curries, chilli,spag bol and roasts. Great results every time.

Any top tips on how to make our weekly shop go further and cost less whilst still being delicious and healthy?

I could give a very long answer, Dailywail, but briefly - bulk cooking and freezing stuff? Buying cheaper cuts of meat like pork shoulder? Growing herbs? Making your own bread? Just a few ideas there.

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 17:18:12

strandedatsea

Hi Jamie

I hope this isn't a strange question... In Jool's book about having your first two daughters there was a picture of you two with your NCT group. This always fascinated me - how easy is it for you as a family to lead a "normal", non-celeb life? Do you still meet up with your NCT group like us mere mortals?

Incidentally, I used to have lunch at your parent's pub in Clavering in the 1990's - perhaps you once cooked for me! (the food there was delicious).

Oh and PS your Spanish Chorizo and Chickpea soup might look like swamp water but it is fab!

(Sorry this didn't mean to sound so fawning).

We don't see those guys any more but most of my close friends I've had since school and it's the same with Jools. We don't tend to go to loads of celeb parties or premieres unless we really want to see the movie. We're just normal, we’ve got the kids and our routine and we just get on with it.

pointydog Fri 15-Oct-10 17:18:14

Crikey, he's still around.

Sorry for previous bolshy tone.

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 17:22:16

snigger

Hello Jamie - have you ever thought of turning your attention to domestic science education in schools?

I can't speak for the rest of the country, but my step-daughter was taught to make 'minestrone' with an unpeeled tomato, a can of baked beans and macaroni and little else as ingredients.

I know school budgets are tight, but when the real thing is so simple and more delicious it seems an incredible waste of time and energy - DSD was pretty grossed out and declared she'd never try 'weird soup'.

Do you think basic techniques like butchery (portioning a whole chicken, for example), stock, roux, and ragu sauce would be a better option? Would that be more likely to filter into real life, rather than pseudo 'recipes' or is it a waste of breath if you're going home to a Pot Noodle for dinner and no-one in your family cooks anyway?

Snigger, I already have. It's called Jamie Oliver's Home Cooking Skills and it's available to all secondary schools. Ask your headteacher to look into it and check out the site www.Jamieshomecookingskills.com

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 17:24:07

Lizzzombie

Jamie - Loving the 30 mins cooking programme, I am a very lazy cook and tend to chuck ingredients together rather than always cook properly.

As you & Jools must be really busy with 4 kids and a big business empire, do you really have time to eat properly every night? Surely you have secret food shames? Please confess. I'd love to hear that you have a thing for fish finger sandwiches, or beans on potato waffles. Anything to make me believe that you aren't a perfect cook every night!

(maybe your next TV series could be Jamie's midnight feasts made in 5 minutes? - with a healthy slant obviously!)

As I say, Jools does most of the cooking during the week because I'm often working. To be honest, if i am cooking, I'll do a quick thing from scratch but not beans and waffles. Sometimes a fish finger buttie can be a beautiful thing, but honestly something like a pasta or frittata takes hardly any time and I enjoy it so it’s a way of unwinding too. Glad you're enjoying the show.

JamieOliver Fri 15-Oct-10 17:26:29

glasjam

Hi Jamie - am loving your American Revolution. Genuinely feared for your life when watching the first episode - don't your realise those people have guns! one of my thoughts as I watched through my fingers!

Wondered what your opinion was on the "low fat" drive that sees our kids consuming vast amounts of processed stuff bulked out with crap and sweetners when many people are coming round to thinking that it's the amount of high fructose corn syrup/sugar loaded drinks and snacks and empty carbs that are contributing to the obesity epidemic?

I would rather my child had a bowl of strawberries and full fat double cream and truly enjoyed it rather than a plasticy, saccharine-sweet low fat strawberry yoghurt.

I didn't know there was such a 'drive' but I'm with you - so long as the full fat cream isn't every day.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 15-Oct-10 17:29:26

That's all folks smile

LoveBeingAMardyBum Fri 15-Oct-10 17:34:25

He came back??!!??!?!

sandsad Fri 15-Oct-10 17:35:21

pssst his new book is only £8.99 in Sainbos at the mo.

strandedatsea Fri 15-Oct-10 17:40:56

Hey he came back to answer my question, what a decent bloke.

sethstarkaddersmummyreturns Fri 15-Oct-10 17:49:34

MNHQ, I don't know if this has been said, but if not, please convey to Jamie that if he ever needs MNers to help out with anything (eg testing recipes, spreading the word about campaigns) we would be happy to help.
I think a lot of us feel we owe him one after so many great meals and anyway we are right behind him on most of these campaigns smile

midnightexpress Fri 15-Oct-10 18:17:26

Answer mine answer mine answer mine.

grin

southeastastralbeing Fri 15-Oct-10 18:19:14

was going to say, shouldn't he be taking over bedtime duties now, jules must be knackered and it is friday grin

Pochard Fri 15-Oct-10 18:19:59

Thanks very much for answering my question after the official webchat. smile

I will definitely definitely be going to the new restaurant in St Albans next summer - how exciting!

southeastastralbeing Fri 15-Oct-10 18:21:00

yet another poncey restaurant for st albans wink like it needs one more

MmeBodyInTheBasement Fri 15-Oct-10 18:59:27

I want to know if it is Jules or Jools.

Both have been used on this thread. Not that it is important, just being nosy.

Wigeon Fri 15-Oct-10 21:29:30

Poncey? St Albans? grin

Awitch Fri 15-Oct-10 21:35:46

oh he is ADORABLE.

and yes, Jamie, if you're reading, there is a 'drive', where we are living, towards encouraging parents to put low-fat stuff in their kids' lunchboxes. we are a bit <ggggrrrr> about it.

ledodgy Fri 15-Oct-10 22:00:51

Wow he came back! How fab. He still hasn't answered my question yet but how wonderful he came back. :smile:

VeniVidiVickiQV Fri 15-Oct-10 22:54:28

I am a BIG Jamie fan, so I've enjoyed reading this.

Great webchat. smile

Awitch Fri 15-Oct-10 22:58:18

<holds onto vvv's ankles and doesn't let go>

VeniVidiVickiQV Fri 15-Oct-10 23:02:05

not too hard lady - the right one is still sore from my accident grin <mwah>

Awitch Fri 15-Oct-10 23:03:18

you poor thing. although it does give me quite the physical advantage... <wrestles>

VeniVidiVickiQV Fri 15-Oct-10 23:36:07

be careful....i'm vewy fwagile....[bambi eyes]

Awitch Fri 15-Oct-10 23:42:09

<SNA-AP>

oops. blush

SoloBlackWidowSpidersWebSite Sat 16-Oct-10 00:23:09

Gosh! he's fab!

Awitch Sat 16-Oct-10 00:54:28

<coughs> apart from his abiding love of fellow hotel and catering graduate Gina F...

ZacharyQuack Sat 16-Oct-10 01:12:02

Blast! I missed this.

This has got to be one of the best webchats MN has ever has. Thanks Jamie, for taking this seriously and answering so many questions.

Your new book has just been released here in NZ this week and your new TV show is about to start screening here, so I'm looking forward to a few months of inspiration!

TanteRoseFromTheDead Sat 16-Oct-10 05:08:35

MmeBITB Jamie used "Jools" in one of his answers so that must be the official version.

Great webchat - I am currently watching J's American Revolution on youtube...

nottirednow Sat 16-Oct-10 09:18:30

Message withdrawn

TheBrideOfBlatherstein Sat 16-Oct-10 11:26:06

He didn't have any comment on what I should buy at my forthcoming Jamie at Home party either sad

It won't be another poxy flavour shaker that's for sure!!

MmeBodyInTheBasement Sat 16-Oct-10 17:18:29

TanteRose
There were both versions used, but he was not typing himself so that will be why.

IrmaGhostSlayer Sat 16-Oct-10 19:29:59

I was very pleased he answered my question I left in my other persona (ie non halloween brookeslay ). Ohh @ all the girlies at HQ having a crush on him I don`t blame them !

RarrHumbug Sun 17-Oct-10 23:05:12

<pushes Naked Chef aside>

Hey there VVVQV! long time no see!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now