WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus one follow-up once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't moan if your question doesn't get answered. 4. Do be civil/polite. See full guidelines here.

Nick Clegg on Mumsnet this Thursday (16th Sept) evening between 8 and 9 pm

(696 Posts)
JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 13-Sep-10 12:41:10

We're delighted that the Deputy Prime Minister, Nick Clegg, will be joining us for a webchat this Thursday evening 8 and 9pm.

Next week the Deputy PM will be joining other world leaders, celebrities and business leaders who are gathering in New York for the UN Millennium Development Goals (MDG) Summit. He will be aiming for global action to reduce the shocking number of women who die during pregnancy and childbirth in the world's poorest countries.

Nick is happy to answer your questions on the UN summit as well as on his role as Deputy Prime Minster. Join us on Thursday evening or if you can't make it along then post your question (one each only please) here.

Thanks.

nicky80 Fri 24-Sep-10 17:11:30

Can somebody please inform Mr Clegg that he LOST his party votes in the last election. Nobody actually voted for him to be in power! He is one walking sell out with a super sized ego! He is only interested in his own political career and has NO political ideology or agenda that cant be totally cast aside to get his rather unpleasant face on our tv screens!

jamtodaybrighton Tue 21-Sep-10 12:50:14

I have only just read this thread because I wasnt around for the webchat, but wanted to see what Nick Clegg had to say anyway. I am really disappointed about how few questions he answered - and avoided completely the effect of cuts on women and families. Like on Today this morning, he couldnt really explain why he went into to election pretending he stood for fairness and opposing massive cuts this year, and then immediately decided cuts were the best medicine after all, and unfairness was a bit subjective...
And I am with ruthie48 - why didn't he respond properly about health? The reason probably is that the White Paper is indefensible. I used to work in the health service, and I can't believe that the Conservatives went in to the election claiming they would look after the NHS, and now the White Paper is going to create a completely two-tier health service, and what's more bring back the postcode lottery - goodbye national waiting times hello you wait however long it takes where you happen to live. Not to mention making it as easy as possible for the private sector to takeover huge parts of the NHS. Where is the fairness and accountability in this new NHS? Surely LibDems can't support the White Paper..

lucky1979 Sat 18-Sep-10 17:28:15

"whether the electorate actually voted for cuts of the size and timing that are taking place is far from clear."

That's a totally specious argument. Every single person in the coalition is an elected member of parliment. They have all agreed, in coalition, that this is the way to proceed, having reviewed the figures, and information not available to them previous to being in government.

Their mandate is to govern on our behalf, making what decisions they need to for the good of the country. We elected each individual on the basis. It's why we don't have a referendum every time circumstances change and they need to make a decision, the goverment has a mandate to make the decisions they see fit.

nottirednow Sat 18-Sep-10 11:35:33

Message withdrawn

lucky1979 Sat 18-Sep-10 08:58:12

Also, as he pointed out, he's achieving 4 of the key Liberal manifesto pledges. (5 if you count privatising the post office I guess). Considering that he heads up a party that actually lost seats this election, that should be cause for them dancing in the streets, less votes and still getting your way on some key issues! And a referendum on AV, a key voting issue.

But hey, no compromise - better to sit in the corner of the commons and sulk. What a mockery of the idea that AV can ever work in this country.

All the people who complain as well they voted Liberal to keep the Tories out - they already said that they would attempt to form a government with the party with the most votes. Which ws the Tories. So no lies there, they did what they promised. Not their fault that you made a misjudgment.

MistsandMellowMilady Fri 17-Sep-10 23:52:05

I have to say that I agree with cupcakesandbunting.

DC does look like IgglePiggle

That is all I have learned from this web-chat. Not answering the Fawcett Society question because of legal issues you Bad Team You.

Very poor. Very poor indeed.

lucky1979 Fri 17-Sep-10 22:33:19

shrugs

I thought he made a lot of sense, and I think he was brave to come here and answer questions considering the hysteria.

I also agree with a lot of what he is saying and doing as DPM.

Doesn't make me thick, doesn't make me uneducated, just means I have a different opinion to you on the way to fix the UK.

expatinscotland Fri 17-Sep-10 21:32:36

Oh, fgs. Wibbling to Justine to let him out?

WTF?

He doesn't get it, he doesn't want to and he doesn't care.

Because caring for something or someone means you might be unpopular. Very much so.

'You have enemies? Good! It means you stood up for something in life!' - Winston Churchill.

That's not something Clegg can even begin to comprehend. He keeps showing that.

Why on Earth waste your time and energy feeling sorry for him when it's your own children you should feel sorry for. Because he doesn't give a rat's arse about them.

And he's a fool. I mean, would you have come on here like he did, having bothered to read this thread? Or would you have just assumed the electorate who use this site are just dim?

Are you that out of touch?

If not, then why do you make excuses for your own DPM?

Get it through your heads, he only cares about himself, otherwise he wouldn't have even been here.

He made a Faustian bargain.

Hell, read the play.

tribpot Fri 17-Sep-10 20:04:13

Shame my question went unanswered as it cost me quite a lot to post.

Wishing him and his family all the best, nevertheless.

Ponders Fri 17-Sep-10 18:13:30

Getorf, that summary is so vivid I can see it (including a wobbly bottom lip when Justine won't let him out)

ROFL at Miriam being Pandora

tabouleh Fri 17-Sep-10 17:19:24

The UN Secretary General, Ban Ki- moon is launching on 22nd September, 2010, the Global Strategy for Women's and Children's Health to meet the health Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).

Sign the petition addressed to Ban Ki – moon to include “specific budgetary measures to support policies and programs such as maternity benefits and entitlements, skilled counseling in health systems to enable women to practice early and exclusive breastfeeding as well as good complementary feeding”.

Eleison Fri 17-Sep-10 14:50:52

Lol at Clegg having to go straight from antichrist pope to coven of witches. Bad day.

beansprout Fri 17-Sep-10 14:07:01

I am bean, hear me roar! grin

expatinscotland Fri 17-Sep-10 14:03:28

He'd had a long day, having to haul up to Embra early doors to stand near the Queen looking like a statue whilst she handed over millions of pounds worth of drawings to the Pope in exchnage for millions of pounds worth of ancient text, then straight into the viper's nest.

(And did you hear her pervy husband's dirty question to Annabel Goldie, asking her if she were wearing tartan knickers? shock)

He'll get a fine pension to make up for it, though, off all our freezing cold backs, so I can't say I feel sorry for him.

Never underestimate the power of a woman.

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 17-Sep-10 13:55:24

I have so got Miriam cast as Pandora grin

For someone who is so media savvy NC came across as strangely petulant. I bet he went home and kicked the cat.

expatinscotland Fri 17-Sep-10 13:45:17

OMG, GetOrf! You might be right. It's just like that Dr Who episode when David Tenant was still pretending to be English as well as a time lord, and the whole Parliament was taken over by aliens.

nymphadora Fri 17-Sep-10 13:44:32

grin at Adrian Mole!

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 17-Sep-10 13:37:33

My summary of the webchat.

Nick Clegg thinks that as a bunch of women of course all our questions will be based solely on childrbith, breastfeeding etc and/or the UN conference (which he mugged up on).

So doesn't read the thread.

Comes on, is slightly bemused by the level of vitriol. Tries to sway the MNers by talking about his wife's childrbith experiences (so we all go 'aww'). Fails. Vitriol steps up.

NC gets 'hang on a minute' with some asperity. Fudges a few more questions.

Gets in a bit of a grapple with Justine as he tries to leg it, she locks the door until fawcett question answered.

NC ends his post with a petulant 'P.S. I am not a Tory'. Our Deputy PM is therefore revealed to be Adrian Mole.

Betmid Fri 17-Sep-10 13:31:48

Why does the New Code of Practice stipulate that nurseries must offer the 15 hours free place as a standalone session? My daughter's nursery may now have to pull out of the free place scheme altogether or fail so all of us working parents will be discriminated against and unable to access this free place funding unless a nursery agrees to incur losses or I give up work to access a pre-school 15 hours free place.

mumof4boys72 Fri 17-Sep-10 13:10:41

what a load of bollox!!!!!!

beansprout Fri 17-Sep-10 12:38:25

I just saw a man who thinks we don't understand what we have to say, so he has to keep repeating it e.g. why he formed a coalition with the Tories.

I (regrettably) voted LD at the last election. I still like their policies, it's just a shame that their leader doesn't. grin

vesela Fri 17-Sep-10 11:42:36

Labour wouldn't have reformed the NHS, just engaged in more cost-cutting and tinkering.

nymphadora Fri 17-Sep-10 11:32:48

hmm glad I went to bed early last night then

edam Fri 17-Sep-10 11:13:01

They say the NHS budget has been ringfenced but conveniently forget to add the caveat that spending is being slashed by £20bn (1/5th of the budget). But that's OK because apparently it will all be 'reinvested'. Probably on the costs of yet another huge re-organisation (flogging off all the hospitals and tearing down PCTs and replacing them with GP commissioning groups). To be fair, Labour were also going to 'ringfence' the budget but slash costs by £20bn.

vesela Fri 17-Sep-10 10:42:13

Yes, that's just what Labour wants, for remarks like "return to Thatcherism" to be ignored and not challenged.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now