MN WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus a follow-up question if appropriate, ie once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't be disappointed if your specific question doesn't get answered and do try not to keep posting "What about me?". 4. Do be civil/polite. See guidelines in full here.

Nick Clegg on Mumsnet this Thursday (16th Sept) evening between 8 and 9 pm

(696 Posts)
JustineMumsnet Belgium (MNHQ) Mon 13-Sep-10 12:41:10

We're delighted that the Deputy Prime Minister, Nick Clegg, will be joining us for a webchat this Thursday evening 8 and 9pm.

Next week the Deputy PM will be joining other world leaders, celebrities and business leaders who are gathering in New York for the UN Millennium Development Goals (MDG) Summit. He will be aiming for global action to reduce the shocking number of women who die during pregnancy and childbirth in the world's poorest countries.

Nick is happy to answer your questions on the UN summit as well as on his role as Deputy Prime Minster. Join us on Thursday evening or if you can't make it along then post your question (one each only please) here.

Thanks.

O
M
G

I try to pretend Cleggo doesn't exist these days.

it's easier for everyone

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 13-Sep-10 12:56:26

Christ, he is brave. Or monumentally blind to how he will be recieved by the majority of MNers.

Good luck, Nick. You will need it.

LadyBlaBlah Mon 13-Sep-10 13:02:23

O M G

withorwithoutyou Mon 13-Sep-10 13:03:24

<gets popcorn>

nowherewoman Mon 13-Sep-10 13:03:27

Just remind me....?

sethstarkaddersmum Mon 13-Sep-10 13:03:30

ooh, let's ask him what he thinks about Hooters!

StewieGriffinsMom Mon 13-Sep-10 13:09:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nearlytoolate Mon 13-Sep-10 13:11:09

HAsn't he got better things to do with his time? No, really??

LadyBlaBlah Mon 13-Sep-10 13:19:45

There is nothing more important than his own ego, nearly

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 13-Sep-10 13:20:26

I would like to ask where his loudly shouted opinions on tax avoiding billionaires were when the 'coalition' (pah) invited Sir Phillip Green (he of the Monaco-dominioned wife) to be their advisor.

In the bin with the rest of the LD opinions GoML

This webchat is going to go well. I can feel it....

Why is he coming on? I mean, does he have some reason to be upping his profile? Does he need to come on, or does he just fancy a bashing?

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 13-Sep-10 13:25:29

2nd question: Who do you think will be the next leader of the Liberal party, after you have deservedly lost Sheffield Hallam at the next election?

QUESTION:

5 years ago, is this where you saw yourself in 5 years? Is this what you wanted to achieve? Deputy PM - has it been worth it?

Spinaroo Mon 13-Sep-10 13:39:25

I really wish I could think of a great question but I am too shock.

That really takes some cojones- maybe we should give him credit for that?

I wonder if he will be following the thread until Thursday thinking, as many others have voiced OMG!!!!!!!!

Maybe the thread will have been pulled by then wink

Sorry Nick- that all sounds so bitchy but I used to quite like you.

Hassled Mon 13-Sep-10 13:39:40

I want to use words like "Sold", "Soul" and "Devil" but I won't.

Nick - are you wary of your reception at the LibDem conference? How are you going to deal with the apparently increasing number of disgruntled LibDem members who don't feel that the coalition government represents their views?

ISNT Mon 13-Sep-10 13:55:03

Blimey. Where to start...

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 13-Sep-10 13:57:40

PfftTheMagicDragon - see Justine's op - Nick is joining us specifically to talk about representing the UK at the forthcoming MDG summit and his aim for global action to reduce death in pregnancy and childbirth in the developing world. We're all for a lively debate but please don't forget our webchat guidelines to treat our guests as you would a guest at your own home.

weegiemum Argentina Mon 13-Sep-10 13:59:02

Dear Nick,

How can you look at yourself in the mirror in the morning?

Or do you have someone shave you nowadays?

<grumpy old cynical woman emoticon>

MrsDoofenshmirtz Mon 13-Sep-10 14:02:06

Is he still around ? I thought he had been locked away or something.

ShirleyKnot Mon 13-Sep-10 14:11:21

<teeth itching>

GAH _ Rachel, am clearly numpty!

I did read it....and then promptly forgot it!

However - I know that he is doing the summit, but what does he want? Is he after opinions? Politicians don't just come here for fun do they? They want something - publicity, opinions....

LadyBlaBlah Mon 13-Sep-10 14:17:10

Isn't it rather ironic that he is going all the way to New York to attend the MDG summit to discuss (in very grand surroundings) how to end poverty, when he himself is involved in policies that are going to put more people into poverty.

Its a funny old world.

3seater Mon 13-Sep-10 14:19:31

I think they want to get an idea of how strong a back lash they might get after 20th Oct.

SanctiMoanyArse Mon 13-Sep-10 14:27:01

Hello Nick

We were members of your party, at one stage I was asked to stand for a local seat.

I resigned recently because of the route the coalition was following: not so much the existence but the lack of a voice, of any real distinctive Lib Dem opinion.

I wrote to you, to my AM (which I was sad about as she is wonderful). I never had a reply although it was maybe three months ago. I am very disappointed and have since joined Labour because although they are far from perfect at least I can be part of a rebirth rather than a slow death, and maybe help create something to be proud of.

I am one of the many whose income has and will continue to drop under this government. My Dh has been made redundant; I am a carer and our HB has been cut. My sons have invisible disabilities that mean passing a DLA assessment will be harder, as per the worries voiced to you by the National Autistic Society. I am working towards retraining as a Social Worker (now just over a year away) and wondering if there will be any LA jobs left for me to apply to. My Husband has started his own business as well as studying and finds there are no business advisors about who can help, those who supply him are going under and those who buy from him are begging for discounts he can't give because they have no money either.

You are Mr Cameron say that the deficit is a first priority but do your realise that there are real vulnerable lives attached to these cuts? Real honest people who are working with very fibre towards honourable, self supporting goals that seem to slip further away? I don't watch the news any more, it scares me. I don’t sleep much either, tbh.

The deficit is a priority: there are others, including supporting those who never can themselves (such as one of my sons) and those who have hit hard times but trying to move forwards, because the unemployed don’t pay tax, they have lower health and employment outcomes for their families, they cost. Those who can manage to find solutions on the other hand pay taxes, take control, have a future beyond state dependency and state provided elderly care.

Ultimately, one day I will die and my son will need there to be a functioning state able to provide a social worker, support. I honestly do not believe any longer that it will be there.

So a question please: if deficit reduction as fast as possible (and I think too fast but let's agree too differ) is a number one in your priority list, where do we, as a family trying to tackle quite adverse conditions head on, come? As a number out of ten please (1 being highest). And was it really worth all those years of paying NI, tax, etc to be hailed as a burden? (don't worry, don’t need an answer to the latter- already know it. Yes, but for my sanity not the label of societal drain).

TIA

MrsDoofenshmirtz Mon 13-Sep-10 14:35:35

well said.

LilyBolero Mon 13-Sep-10 14:38:32

Thank you for coming on. I really hope you read this thread, fully, because I think it is important that you know how people feel about what has happened with the government.

I voted LibDem at the last election. Prior to the election, our LibDem candidate came round canvassing and I asked him "What will the LibDems do in the case of a hung parliament? I don't want to vote for you and end up having voted for a Tory government". He told me the LibDems would NOT be 'king-makers' and that in our area, only the Liberal Democrats to beat the Tories, so the only way to keep out the Tories was to vote Lib-Dem.

So I feel pretty bad now, that I was so let down by a party that has become regressive in its economic policies. And I am becoming increasingly tired of hearing LibDem ministers saying they had changed economic policies just after the election 'because of Greece'. Greece is a different country with a different economy. You changed policy because you wanted power, you wanted to be the first Liberals in government for decades.

So my question is this; Do you not feel that you would have had more sway in Government matters, and retained more integrity, by forcing David Cameron to form a minority Government, and then promising support on issues where you were in alignment, rather than betraying all the people like me who voted LibDem, having been promised it would 'keep the Tories out'? (And please please don't answer "we needed a strong and stable government" because I do not think this government is either of those things, with its regressive policies).

By the way, I joined the Labour Party after the election.

LadyBlaBlah Mon 13-Sep-10 14:39:58

<wonders if there is anyone out there who still supports the Lib Dems>

SanctiMoanyArse Mon 13-Sep-10 14:40:31

I will apologise now for the erroneous too and are in my post; those who know me here realise I have a sight problem, I put it through word spellcheck somewhat unusually and clearly need to up my skills on that facility (and any here will remain as obvious typing problems are less embarssing than what looks like bad spelling and grammar IMO!).

FioFio Mon 13-Sep-10 14:40:50

Message deleted

ShirleyKnot Mon 13-Sep-10 14:50:01

I also voted Lib Dem in the last election. The area I live in is a Tory stronghold, and a vote for Labour felt like a "wasted" vote.

I feel completely and utterly swindled by the Liberal Democrats. I was stunned when they made the decision to go into government with the Conservatives, utterly stunned.

So, I haven't got a question for Nick Clegg, because I absolutely will not believe any answer he gives and therefore it seems completely pointless.

Oh, and that vote? That was the first one and it will be the absolute last one that the Lib Dems ever get from me; and I'm sure I'm not the only person in the country who feels exactly the same.

What a terrible shame. I think that the "third" party will have this term of office and then sink into obscurity.

AvengingGerbil Mon 13-Sep-10 14:50:12

I have voted Liberal/Liberal Democrat in every election, local, national, European since 1983. I shall never do so again.

Mr Clegg, how do you sleep at night?

FrameyMcFrame Mon 13-Sep-10 14:56:49

I don't have any questions for Nick Clegg.

I wouldn't be able to believe any answers he might give.

SanctiMoanyArse Mon 13-Sep-10 15:00:51

Not a question to NC so please don't answer- already posted a far more important one. Please don't let the one Q per poster rule be wasted on this.

'<wonders if there is anyone out there who still supports the Lib Dems>'

A largely reduced number I would suggest.

As far as I can work it out, NC et al want to focus on getting any chance of pushing through PR with the idea that PR is their biggest chance of getting a majority Governmental role at any point.

Only logical if they had anyone much left to vote for them though- if it alienates people who now say they will never take LD seriously then it's completely self destructive as a policy and a lot of chances to do good and mitigate Tory extremes wasted.

LilyBolero Mon 13-Sep-10 15:01:26

ShirleyKnot, in a way I am strangely grateful to Mr Clegg as I will never again have a dilemma between Libdem and Lab. Lib Dems will NEVER get my vote again, and I am a 'classic' Lib-dem 'type'.

ShadeofViolet Mon 13-Sep-10 15:02:13

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

ShirleyKnot Mon 13-Sep-10 15:08:54

Lily - Yes, I know what you mean. I think it will ultimately be quite a Good Thing. I think that the people who used to feel that "split" will no longer be so torn and will instead vote for Labour.

SanctiMoanyArse Mon 13-Sep-10 15:09:25

Absolutely Lily; Somerset born (LD area) who moved to an area where LD and Lab shared power....

No more. And not just me; DH, my parents, friends.... it really is an ever growing list. I had hope for the coalition although it went against what I felt to be 'me'. I thought maybe a change from labour combined with the mitigating efforts of a progressive party would be a positive move <<daft cow>>.

Ewe Mon 13-Sep-10 15:31:46

Hi Nick

The MDGs aim to close the gender gap globally both in terms of access to education and women in paid employment. Part of the 2010 report mentions women rising to political power predominantly when boosted by quotas and other special measures - is this something you would support happening here in the UK?

Also, several areas in the report that are failing are due to lack of funding, are the coalition going to commit to maintain/increase spending on the achievement of MDGs?

Bucharest Mon 13-Sep-10 15:49:21

Blimeyheck. I go away and have a life for a month or so and come back to this.....

No questions from me. But I very much look forward to him responding to Sancty's above post. If he dare.

LilyBolero Mon 13-Sep-10 15:54:34

Shirley and Sancti - I actually hate the LibDems more than the Tories - the tories are sticking with their core values (which I hate, but at least you know what you're getting). I despise and detest the LibDems who have signed up with the coalition.

I also think the Libdems are now unelectable, because if you want a progressive party, you vote Labour, if you want a right wing party you vote Tory, so why would anyone vote for the LibDems?

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 13-Sep-10 15:56:48

Question number 3: do you really think that anyone is going to want to focus on electoral reform in the midst of all the budget cuts which are being made?

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 13-Sep-10 16:01:25

I am with Lily, by the way. I dislike the Tory party as they essentially are the opposite of what I believe in value wise, however they have been the same for years and at least we know what we are getting.

For me, the Liberal party values are adequately demontrated by the personality and values of Lloyd George - desperate for power, immoral and untrustworthy.

I lived for nearly 30 years in a safe Liberal seat, and have seen first hand the inadequacy, venality and small mindedness of lib dem control.

I am SORRY MNHQ I know this isn't a 'what is your opinion of Nick Clegg' thread but I am afraid that he has inflamed opinion to such a degree that MNers will not be able to resist putting their two'pennorth across.

ledodgy Mon 13-Sep-10 16:04:21

I voted Lib Dems for the first time at this election and now will never do so again. No question for you Mr Clegg just a feeling of great disappointment and a virtual slap round your face with a wet kipper.

Ponders Mon 13-Sep-10 16:36:38

I want to know when he's actually going to "cross the floor" (or in his case, stand up, change his tie to a blue one & sit down again angry

Alouiseg Mon 13-Sep-10 16:42:39

Congratulations on standing your ground to reduce the government debt.

Are you concerned that Quantative Easing will create a level of uncontrollable inflation in the future, devaluing the pound in our pocket?

nymphadora Mon 13-Sep-10 16:42:54

<<marking place>>

LeninGrad Mon 13-Sep-10 16:52:56

Them that's got shall get
Them that's not shall lose

What will your focus at the conference be Nick? What do you think the single most effective thing is that could be done to improve MNH in poorer countries? Where will you start?

JessRabbit Mon 13-Sep-10 16:55:22

Regarding maternal mortality. 30 years ago women could deliver in hospital and stay in for 10 days to establish feeding and rest if necessary.

While most women these days probably wouldn't want that what has happened to maternity services that in some areas there aren't even enough delivery suites staffed let alone post natal wards?

dinkystinky Mon 13-Sep-10 17:05:13

A question for Mr Clegg: any regrets?

LilyBolero Mon 13-Sep-10 17:17:01

Again, not a question (have asked mine below), but can I encourage Mr Clegg to give us honest answers, not 'politician's answers', because you know what, we all know about politician's answers, a 'none-answer' speaks a thousand words.

treedelivery Mon 13-Sep-10 17:22:52

Regarding Child Tax Credits and the situation of those earning 40k plus per family.

It has been decided that as of April the threashold for basic qualification will fall from 50k pa to 40k pa. DH works a 50 hour at £9,50 per hour, and I a 23 hour week at £15 per hour. We scrape over the 40k with some overtime from me.

Has anyone in government put any consideration into people who will owe the system money - as is designed into the system - and would be relying on future awards to pay this back?

I am one, and the tax credit people always said...don't worry, next years award will pay back the remainder of your overpayment. The overpayment being no fault of my own. I asked and asked them to take the whole amount asap, to stop payments, to avoid me owing them hundreds, but no. The same answer - overpayments will be taken from future awards.

Now there is no award as of April, and I will owe about £600 sad

That's not fair - the goal posts have moved. The tax credits lady I spoke to said they have had people sobbing, worrying about the future and absolutely no gudance from the government about how this will be handled.

A rash electon winning announcement, no homework done, no answers in place for basic questions - it's ok though. It's only peoples lives.

LilyBolero Mon 13-Sep-10 17:31:16

treedelivery - that sounds a nightmare. Unfortunately I think it's one of many such scenarios which will be happening as the budget bites. For example, take the various announcements about benefits;
Lone Parents will be switched to Jobseekers Allowance when their youngest goes to school.
Anyone on Jobseekers Allowance for 1 year + has their Housing Benefit cut.

So the Lone Parent has to find some sort of job that is term time and school hours only, (otherwise all the money goes on childcare) but pays enough to make up for the loss of benefits. After a year, if they have not found such a job, they are likely to lose their home as their housing benefit is cut in value.

Miggsie Mon 13-Sep-10 17:31:58

Mr Clegg, do you see this is part of a wider programme to increase life chances/quality of life for women as a whole? I don't see any point campaigning simply to avoid maternal and infant deaths while condemning them to go on to suffer appalling discrimination and poverty through their lives simply due to being female.

How will the government address this wider issue both home and abroad?

expatinscotland Mon 13-Sep-10 17:33:58

I have no questions for him, Only statements, and none of them are in the least pleasant but are along the lines of what Pfft posted, only worse.

I hope he reads this thread, but even if he did, it wouldn't make any difference.

UnePrune Mon 13-Sep-10 17:36:53

Hello Mr Clegg

What do you envisage the answers to high maternal mortality rates (and, crucially too, incidence of maternal morbidity) being? What are you learning as you take on this task? Does any of it surprise you?

treedelivery Mon 13-Sep-10 17:41:29

LilyBolero - Thanks. I agree with you, and I actually have no problem with the reduction in the banding. I understand the need. I don't think it's fair for them to effectively turn a payment into a loan. They have given the money n good faith, it was taken in good faith, and now they have decided they couldn't afford it and want it back.

Well that isn't real life is it? I can't insist someone given me back last years Christmas pressi because times are hard.

The sad thing is this thread is futile. We don't matter. I don't matter. I get it. sad

SanctiMoanyArse Mon 13-Sep-10 17:42:11

expatinscotland Mon 13-Sep-10 17:43:08

Deputy PM comes on to a website and only 58 responses so far.

Says it all, really.

Lack of morale, it's a terrible thing.

The opposite of hate isn't love, it's apathy.

SanctiMoanyArse Mon 13-Sep-10 17:45:49

In this case wouldn;t it be that the opposite of love is apathy ExP?

I hope.

As a family we don;t get out and protest, we hmm about it and have a cuppa instead. that's changing and we'll be there for any that happen but like Tree says, I ahve gone from being very political, considering standing etc to accepting my irrelevance to those that have the power.

DuelingFanjo Mon 13-Sep-10 18:23:57

fab! can't wait.

amothersplaceisinthewrong Mon 13-Sep-10 18:31:18

What exactly is your position on Tuition fees for Undergraduates, Mr Clegg? At one time you wanted to abolish them....

FioFio Mon 13-Sep-10 18:51:18

Message deleted

SanctiMoanyArse Mon 13-Sep-10 19:05:44

ANd this

here

Also: George Osborne said that DLA is a disincentive to work. DLA is paid alongside work for many and is the benefit designed to cover the costs of being disabled; EMA is the one paid to people out of work. Just a heads up really: it does make one look rather ..... daft.... not to know what teh diffeences are

said Mon 13-Sep-10 19:10:01

I can't see him answering any of these questions. I do envisage lots of shaking of his head with that faux boyish smirk smile because we "don't understand".

I keep typing questions and then deleting them.

edam Mon 13-Sep-10 19:10:50

Nick, as you will know, the Fawcett Society is seeking a judicial review of your government's failure to carry out the required equality audit before the budget.

How can you persuade women - and men who care about equality - that your party notices or cares about discrimination when you've been happy to help the Tories attack women, children, the poor and those least able to help themselves? That's not just my view of the budget, it's what the IFS data and the equality data in the House of Commons library statistics showed.

It's all very well to go to international conventions and talk about deaths during pregancy and childbirth, but so far your actions don't suggest you are actually committed to equality.

Show me one person in the Cabinet who has ever lived in poverty, or has the faintest idea what life is like for ordinary families. That doesn't include Old Etonians or people married to bankers, btw.

said Mon 13-Sep-10 19:14:27

Ok. Question: In my constituency the Lib Dems campaigned on a "Labour cannot win here. Vote Lib Dem to keep out the Tories". Do you accept that this was now a lie?

SanctiMoanyArse Mon 13-Sep-10 19:17:28

Well said if we can avoid people posting about biscuits, favourite colours or any such then he will have to answer something won't he?

No doubt there's a thing about asnwering question related to the two in the OP: m,aternal deaths and his role. Well, I know what his job is and maternal deaths are loinked to poverty which is what most of the other questions loosely allude to.

So they are related.

But I expect poli-talk, yes.

pointydog Mon 13-Sep-10 19:25:49

I have voted LibDem once or twice in the past (not in the last general election, thank the heavens) and it is now extremely unlikely I will ever vote for them again.

Does Nick Clegg realise what huge damage he has done to his party for the sake of having some pretence at power?

thethingis Mon 13-Sep-10 19:42:38

If I am to treat Mr Clegg as if he were a guest in my home, then, I shall.

If he were to visit my home I would offer him tea and then very politely ask him why his government's policies threaten my job, my husband's job, our tax credits and the services and allowances for my child's disability?

I would ask him this: do you think that society cannot afford responsible parents, who work long hours to support their families? Do you think that taking with both hands from households that have always worked very hard to afford quite a basic standard of living is the way forward in cutting the deficit?

thisishowifeel Mon 13-Sep-10 19:49:11

I have asked my socialist husband to not discuss politics anymore.

It hurts too much.

Life long Liberal.

nearlytoolate Mon 13-Sep-10 20:04:52

Same as pointydog - I have been tempted to dally with the LibDems in the past, but never ever again.

edam Mon 13-Sep-10 20:06:32

My parents always said the Lib Dems were Tories in sheep's clothing. Nick Clegg just proved them right.

Also noted today it's schools with high proportions of children on free school meals and speakers of English as a second language that have lost out most in the cancellation of school building projects. As well as all the construction companies that will be laying people off.

LadyBlaBlah Mon 13-Sep-10 20:08:01

Edam - they have missed the deadline in responding to the Fawcett Society

Not even responding is either blatant arrogance (we dont care) or dithering incompetence. Either option doesn't look fantastic.

Ponders Mon 13-Sep-10 20:08:37

Nick Clegg has proved that he is a secret Tory, edam - I don't believe for a minute that they all are (you can still hear Vince Cable cringing at some of what he is forced to say these days sad)

VicarInaTuTu Mon 13-Sep-10 20:16:56

god, so many questions

so unable to ask them. marking my place though for an "interesting" conversation im sure.

I voted LD in the election because Labour have such a small vote in the constituency where I live. I might have well have voted Tory. I will never vote LD again.

I wonder whether NC thinks that the personal achievement of becoming DPM was worth sacrificing the credibility of the LDs as a political party?

choufleur Mon 13-Sep-10 20:41:31

I like to ask him if selling his soul to --the devil-- Mr Cameron was worth it for the title of Deputy PM?

Oh and thank him for the future sacking of all public services. How much money will need to be pumped back into front line services to restore public confidence when another Baby P/Fiona Pilkington happens or when someone gets away with murder because there aren't enough police officers or forensic support to prevent/catch them?

sazlocks Mon 13-Sep-10 20:48:24

Mr Clegg - well done for joining MN for a webchat - I am sure it will be interesting and the first one I have ever felt compelled to mark my place for.
I am a lifeling liberal voter and sometime party member, canvasser and local supporter. When I say I am I really should say I was.
That said I have a question to ask you about infant mortality. As you will be aware stopping smoking in pregnancy, breastfeeding and good maternal nutrition are all important factors in reducing infant mortlaity. How does the government plan to support women and their partners to quit smoking, initiate and continue breastfeeding until 6 months and improve maternal nutrition when they are closing Primary Care Trusts and their public health teams and handing over the responibilities for this work to overstretched GPs and Local Authorities ? In addition the disbanding of of regional and national support teams covering the above areas seems to suggest a lack of commitment from the government to these areas of work.
Short sighted doesn't even begin to describe what you and your colleagues are proposing.
Thanks in advance

paisleyleaf Mon 13-Sep-10 20:54:47

I went through a real dilemma on who to vote for in the general election. I'm glad I won't have that again.
First and last Lib Dem vote from me too.
I can't think of a single question for the deputy PM.

edam Mon 13-Sep-10 21:07:02

Ponders - well, why is Cable saying it, then? He's a grown man, he's responsible for his own words and actions. Clegg may be the Blair-style leader taking his party on a journey, but the rest of the Lib Dems aren't obliged to provide cover for the Tories while they attack public services, civil society, women, children and the poor.

Clegg and his lot are all for Liberal free market economics but have abandoned social liberalism. I can hear Lloyd George spinning and I'm something like 200m away from his grave.

vesela Mon 13-Sep-10 21:08:44

Nick, you're doing a great job. I'm glad you had the guts to enter government. You're doing the right thing.

If people vote Lib Dem thinking they couldn't possibly join with the Tories when it had been made clear, time after time, that they'd support either party and would talk first with the party that had the greatest mandate, that is their fault. If people confused keeping the Tories out at a constituency level with the same thing at a national level, that's their fault too.

My question: can you just drop the stupid rape defendant anonymity thing, though?

edam Mon 13-Sep-10 21:09:16

oops, missed Lady Blah blah.

So not only are the Lib Dems going along with attacks on women and children, they don't even have the decency to respond when this is pointed out?

Nick, do you really expect us to believe you give a toss about maternal mortality when you clearly have nothing but contempt for women?

SanctiMoanyArse Mon 13-Sep-10 21:10:00

Vince did disappint mne; I had faith in him, his autobio and what he ahd to say about this hsambles of a Tory party..... <<shakes head>>

I feel more let down by him than anything else- i'd heard rumours about nick being anti LD policy on student finance etc, but I did think Vince was true. I eman, how do you combine LD, Labour and Tory in one lifetime?

ShirleyKnot Mon 13-Sep-10 21:12:50

vesela - I really don't want to get into a political argument on this thread, but isn't that just...well..^icky^? Y'know, we'll get into bed with whichever party as long as we get into bed with someone?

Where's the principles in that? where? I always believed that the LibDems were more left than right wing. <hollow laugh>

God, it's depressing.

Doobydoo Mon 13-Sep-10 21:13:42

EEK.No question,don't see the point.You have alienated many lib dem voters and have sold out.Do not believe you have the necessary to stick to your guns [if you had any].Disappointing.

There is no bloody way I would let Clegg inside my house.

Not if Expat wasn't there anyway grin

expatinscotland Mon 13-Sep-10 21:19:01

Ponders Mon 13-Sep-10 21:30:15

edam, what I'm desperately hoping is that Vince is staying afloat, clinging to the wreckage, so that he can climb back on board & steer the ship to safety at the last moment (because if he doesn't, those with principles are sunk without trace sad)

LadyBlaBlah Mon 13-Sep-10 21:31:01

sazlocks - on the smoking point. I read yesterday that 80% of the 'stop smoking' schemes are to be scrapped.

Tis the deficit and all that

mintyfresh Mon 13-Sep-10 21:33:22

We are not 'all in this together, Nick'. The Bankers caused it, the vunerable are paying for it so stop spinning the crap!

SpringHeeledJack Mon 13-Sep-10 21:39:07

Helloooo

we used (pre election) to call you Nick Legg which- at the time- we found amusing

now we call you summat else less amusing. Interestingly it's the same as we used to call Tony Blair Gordon Ramsey and Clarkson- and now we have to use it for Osborne as well-of course- which is a bit confusing...

...it begins with "That"

grin

LadyBlaBlah Mon 13-Sep-10 21:43:01

here is confirmation that they have not responded to the Fawcett Society

The FS have said that they are particularly interested in what Nick Clegg has to say on this matter because "during the general election campaign he personally pledged to “Work with Fawcett and others to ensure that both local and national deficit cutting proposals are assessed in terms of how they would impact on women – both regarding access to public services and women’s income’s"."

Ponders Mon 13-Sep-10 21:50:26

"poll pact" for next election"?

'the Conservatives should agree not to put up candidates in Lib Dem-held constituencies, while the Lib Dems should not field candidates in Tory-held seats.
"The Labour Party would find it very, very difficult then to beat the combined forces of Tories and Lib Dems in all of their seats," he said.'

He seems to be assuming that former Lib-Dem voters, & former Tory voters in those seats, & vice versa - would all vote the "right" way again next time...I think not, Mr Boles grin

LilyBolero Mon 13-Sep-10 22:04:58

Oh yes, please stop the 'we're all in this together'. That would be why the richest are being affected the least, and the poorest the most. That would be why the poorest are losing jobs and homes, whilst the richest STILL get bonuses and expenses. And please tell your mate Dave that he is not by any stretch of the imagination 'middle class'.

SpeedyGonzalez Mon 13-Sep-10 22:09:05

Well. I gave birth to my second child the day before the election, but managed to hoik my arse down to the polling station <<polishes badge>> grin. Since then, however, I have had my head firmly in BabyLand so, despite being a lifelong LibDem voter, all this anti-Nick Clegg vitriol has passed me by. Clearly I have a good deal of catching up to do.

Señor Clegg. Eres casado con una Española. Espero que tu hables Español, ¿si? ¡Arriba! grin

This is a long, but hopefully interesting preamble to a very short question.

On the subject of maternal mortality, this is a subject which is very close to my heart. I do hope that Ina May Gaskin will be attending the conference - to my knowledge she is possibly one of the most knowledgeable and experienced of the well-known faces in the field of maternal health. Her birthing centre, which has been operating for 30+ years, has a c-section rate of around 1-2%, which is unrivalled among hospitals just about anywhere in the western world.

Did you know (according to a recent Radio 4 doco) that during WW2 the infant mortality rate fell significantly? This is said to be because so many obstetricians were on the battlefield. Good obstetricians are absolutely vital and their knowledge and experience is invaluable. However. For most women having babies, the best possible care comes from midwife-led units. One of the measures used by this UN summit to evaluate the quality of maternal care is "Proportion of births attended by skilled health personnel". In order to succeed, this MUST refer to midwives FIRST, not obstetricians.

The reason for me detailing all of this is that it seems ironic to me that this conference is being hosted in the USA. Their maternal mortality rate is appallingly low - according to the WHO they rank around 42nd in the WORLD for deaths in labour - in fact, they have remained at this position for many years. Indeed, the only woman I've ever known to die in childbirth was in the US. Bearing in mind that, according to Gaskin, US hospitals do not keep accurate records of maternal and infant mortality. So, since their position of 42nd is based on the deaths that they do record it's likely that their ranking is actually worse than that.

The USA has a heavily obstetrician-based approach to maternal care, and it's all driven by money. Women with health insurance get shoved onto the conveyor belt of intervention so that (a) they spend lots of lovely money for the insurance companies to pay up; (b) medics can measure everything to the nth degree in order to avoid the possibility of lawsuits. As for poor women in the US, they have an excessively high C-section rate and are frequently sent home far too early after this major surgery. Why? Because that's the cheapest way to get their babies out. No surprise, then, that women and babies are more likely to die in the USA than in Europe.

So the scope of this conference should include the USA as a place where maternal (and infant) health desperately needs attention. Contrary to the summit paraphernalia (from their website) it is not just a problem affecting developing countries.

Nick, are you brave enough to raise this issue at the conference?

My sources are the following books, written by American women:

Naomi Wolf 'Misconceptions' (source of information about how insured and uninsured women are treated)

'Ina May Gaskin's Guide To Childbirth' (includes details on the history of how the field of obstetrics changed in the US in the 1980s, to the detriment of pregnant women).

I can lend you my copies if your assistants can't get hold of them wink.

saintlydamemrsturnip Mon 13-Sep-10 22:24:22

Further to previous disability comments there's this as well

snoozathon Mon 13-Sep-10 22:27:21

I had quite a big crush on you after the infamous debates blush

But Tories aren't sexy.

saintlydamemrsturnip Mon 13-Sep-10 22:28:29

OK my question.

Do you believe you are building a fairer Britain?

edam Mon 13-Sep-10 22:30:24

speedy, that reminds me of GCSE Spanish - I loved the way the Spaniards repeat punctuation marks upside down at the end of words, gives them a real flourish. Much more entertaining than flaming French or ghastly German (^not^ my favourite subjects, obv.).

FioFio Mon 13-Sep-10 22:31:24

Message deleted

SpeedyGonzalez Mon 13-Sep-10 22:41:28

Edam - <<shudder>> at the memory of ghastly German!

I always wish they'd offered Spanish at school, would have done far better in my A-Levels if they had. God only knows why I thought learning German would be fun at 16.

Wordsmith Mon 13-Sep-10 23:02:32

Nick, you have really let me down. I have always voted LibDem, not as a protest vote but because I really agreed with your policies. How can you look me in the face having reneged upon or diluted so many of them to support the conservatives? Some things are more important than power.

solo Mon 13-Sep-10 23:06:07

Dear Nick. I voted for you. What the hell happened?!

notsureatall Mon 13-Sep-10 23:24:20

Hi Nick

Do you really think anyone gives a monkey's about electoral reform when they are losing their livelihoods in their droves?

msyikes Mon 13-Sep-10 23:30:21

Nick Clegg, words fail me.

As for treating you as I would a guest, you would NEVER be invited to the family home. (The home we will probably lose when dh ans I lose our public sector job and interest rates go through the roof. This despite the fact that we have always worked hard, paid contributions, tried to do the right thing...)

And I think that you going to New York to sanctimoniously and hypocritically pontificate about the life chances of poor women and children (whilst supporting the systematic dismantling of one basic support structure after another for poor women and children!!) just totally and utterly takes the biscuit

How do you sleep? How do you look in the mirror? How will history judge you????

Ponders Mon 13-Sep-10 23:42:58

Good post, msyikes

I can't think of any other politician, ever, who has so swiftly & apparently unconcernedly sold himself, his party & his supporters down the river angry

expatinscotland Tue 14-Sep-10 00:03:47

Well, this is going to go down like a lead balloon.

expatinscotland Tue 14-Sep-10 00:07:04

I won't be participating because, as my father always says, 'Trying to teach a dog to read is a pointless endeavour.'

SpeedyGonzalez Tue 14-Sep-10 00:56:45

Nick, I heard recently that you don't have a departmental team behind you. Judging by the response on this thread can I recommend someone?

grin

SanctiMoanyArse Tue 14-Sep-10 01:08:32

Surely he will either call in sick or just stick to a pre-prepared script about the maternal stuff?

I mean, how could he deal with this?

'Dear MN

Vesela I love you

I quite like PR, biscuits and David Cameron but not poor people

Bye then'

grin to speedy!!! He won't be seen in history..he will be history soon though!!

scrappydappydoo Tue 14-Sep-10 07:33:00

Actually its MNHQ I feel for - not only do they have to wade through this thread and pick out the questions for NC to answer but they also have to sit next to him whilst he reads them..

No questions as others have put it far more eloquently than me but just as my mum used to say to me - 'I'm very disappointed in you'

mumof4boys72 Tue 14-Sep-10 07:59:47

Cant wait for the election till labour get back in,your party have sold your soul to the devil. Looks like were going back to the thatcher years when she killed the country.

Your blaming everything on labour,it wasnt labour that caused the recession,it was the bank crash that caused it thats why country all over the world are in recession,labour were leading us out of it.

Now we may end up worst off because your cutting jobs here there and everywhere,how do you think people are going to spend cash if they have no work? and those that do have work wont want to spend because they are unsure if they will still have a job in a years time.

As for benefits,can you please tell me how you propose on getting people back to work when theres no jobs and your cutting them????

Once again the poor are being penalized,while the rich get richer,labour werent brilliant,but t least they tried to do theyre bit for the poor.

shame on the lot of you,i will be going out of my way to vote labour when the election comes round.

mumof4boys72 Tue 14-Sep-10 08:06:10

msyikes,they dont care about us,we are small people,we dont count,all that matters to them are theyre bit fat pay cheques.

Oh and while we are at it!!!!! how the heck can you send billions in aid to pakistan when apparently this country is billions in debt? can you please answer that?

we should be sorting this country out first and foremost,not donating money we dont have to other countrys.

sarah293 Tue 14-Sep-10 08:47:10

Message withdrawn

LilyBolero Tue 14-Sep-10 08:55:48

MNHQ - Please please can you ensure Nick Clegg reads the whole thread, not just selected questions? There is SUCH depth of feeling, and he has to know how people actually feel about what's happened, not just read a few sanitised questions. If he is interested in knowing how the electorate feel, this is a pretty good example, and really shows how ordinary people (to coin a phrase that I really never wanted to hear again, 'hard working families) are suffering or are terrified about the future.

youremindmeofthebabe Tue 14-Sep-10 08:57:28

How do you consolidate the idea of removing the aid certain African states will get with reducing maternal deaths?

Andrew Mitchell's comments regarding Sierra Leone

And I'm not even going to mention all the other questions regarding UK policy, of which there are hundreds, but suffice to say as a Liberal voter, I'm no longer a Liberal supporter.

nymphadora Tue 14-Sep-10 09:03:51

OOh I have thought of a question.

Why ring fence NHS and Edcuation spending in the budget cuts and cut funding for frontline social care? In my area this means that SWs are losing jobs, we can no longer provide essential services to families (particularly those with disabilities) and what happens to those that are left when there is the next Baby P case?

expatinscotland Tue 14-Sep-10 09:05:42

He's not going to read the entire thread, Lily.

And even if he did, it would be like throwing water on a duck's back because the man just doesn't want to get it.

mumof4boys72 Tue 14-Sep-10 09:11:16

Oh and another thing,are your partys insane????? police cuts? excuse me we need more police on the beat not less!!!!take manchester for instance shootings everyday,violence,people cant feel safe walking down the street,same for blackpool,but that doesnt matter to people like you,because you live in nice areas where you can walk down the street saftley!

that programme that was on a few months back,where all the mps went to stay in tower blocks in london,do these things not teach you people anything????? theres proper deprivation out there where people are staying in slums,why dont you get off your butts and go live on the dole PROPERLY for a year,and go seeking work,then you may actually get a PROPER feel of this country.

Am throughly disgusted with this goverment.

LilyBolero Tue 14-Sep-10 09:16:25

expat, you are probably right. But I think it would be good if MNHQ could at least encourage him to read it, just to get an idea of how people are feeling. I am sick of hearing them on the Today programme saying that the 'man on the street' is still very positive about the coalition.

nymphadora Tue 14-Sep-10 09:24:01

I find it very interesting that whilst there are still people defending the Tories there isn't people flocking on here to defend NC.

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 14-Sep-10 09:28:01

I do feel sorry for MNHQ. I imagine it is a difficult situation for them 'umm, Mr Clegg, I know you wanted to talk about maternal death, there have been 3 questions on that subject and 104 emotive posts saying you have sold your soul the the devil. Cup of tea?'

LilyBolero Tue 14-Sep-10 09:29:17

I think that's because, although I do not like the Tory philosophy, they are being true to their own position, Tories have always been about small State, privatisation, market forces etc etc. If you voted Tory, you voted for what you're getting now.

The LDs have abandoned their principles and sold out simply to taste power. And a LOT of their campaign was based on 'Only a Lib Dem vote can keep the Tories out'. Which was a lie.

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 14-Sep-10 09:35:57

Agree totally with Lily. You always know what you are getting with the tories, the party is like a raddled old whore who has been peddling the same line for hundreds of years.

I have always thought that the Liberals were far more pernicious than the torys, as they dress up a similar selfish and laissez faire policy with a pretty, caring face,

vesela Tue 14-Sep-10 09:41:15

LilyBolero, the thing is they haven't abandoned their principles. They're implementing them. Not all of them, obviously, and not all as they would like, but that's coalition government. If the Lib Dems had formed a government with Labour, Labour would have had to compromise too.

And "keeping the Tories out" only ever refers to voting Lib Dem in a particular constituency so that you get a Lib Dem MP and not a Tory one. Is there one bit of evidence that the Lib Dems ever said they would keep the Tories out at a national level, or anywhere where a Lib Dem politician ruled out a post-election deal with the Tories?

LilyBolero Tue 14-Sep-10 09:49:26

vesela, my LibDem candidate told me categorically that if I voted for him, and he was elected, they would not 'go in with the Conservatives'.

As far as principles go, I think they have abandoned them. They have been party to a regressive budget, targeting the poorest in society. They have targeted groups such as women and the disabled. They have abandoned their stance on tuition fees. They have abandoned their policy on Trident. And that's just starters.

expatinscotland Tue 14-Sep-10 09:56:15

'As far as principles go, I think they have abandoned them.'

People like Clegg never really had them, because those are usually the result of having had to lived in reality at one point during one's life.

But well, he has power now.

So perhaps the purpose of his life is to serve as a warning to others: Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it.

vesela Tue 14-Sep-10 10:02:43

LilyBolero, which candidate was that? bit odd given that the Lib Dems were saying all over the media that they weren't ruling either one out.

LilyBolero Tue 14-Sep-10 10:05:10

vesela, don't want to identify where I am! It was within the context of "Nick Clegg has said he won't be a kingmaker, we will tackle each issue separately, you can be assured that a vote for me is NOT a vote for the conservatives".

LilyBolero Tue 14-Sep-10 10:07:00

That candidate wasn't elected anyway, so it didn't matter how I voted.

PenelopeTitsDropped Tue 14-Sep-10 10:07:43

According to reports, this Governement is considering changing PAYE administration for all Employees.

At the moment the Employer pays the net, after tax/nic; the proposals apparently are that the Employers pay the gross to the Revenue, and the latter then pay the net.

God help us if this is the case.

vesela Tue 14-Sep-10 10:08:02

here - repeated endlessly in the run-up to the election.

"Nick Clegg last night spelled out the four "tests" he will set for Labour and the Conservatives if they are to seek his party's support in a hung parliament [they were the 10,000 tax threshold, pupil premium, a greener better-balanced economy and voting reform].

Clegg declined to say whether his party would lean towards Labour or the Tories if neither party secured an overall majority in the poll expected on 6 May.

But he told the Independent he would talk to the party that won the "strongest mandate" and was keeping all options open – including a formal coalition with Lib Dem ministers in the cabinet."

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 14-Sep-10 10:09:07

Sorry Penelope what is that? So we would get our pay administered straight from the IL? Surely not.

LilyBolero Tue 14-Sep-10 10:11:36

I think it's disingenuous though to form a campaign based on 'keep the tories out', whatever is happening at national level.

And nowhere in that report does it say "We will be happy to form a regressive government targetting the poor." Ergo their principles are abandoned.

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 14-Sep-10 10:18:18

I was on this thread yesterday - I cannot remember anything inflammatory being postedm however shadeofviolet and expat have each had posts deleted hmm

fridascruffs Tue 14-Sep-10 10:19:34

I nearly voted LD cos I'm in a wall-to-wall Tory zone but when Nick said he'd go in with the party that got the most votes i voted Labour after all. I would like PR /AV though, then I could vote Green. I'm not going to vote for AV if the Tories sew up the boundaries as part of the deal in a referendum, however.
Maternal health: don't cut the aid budget.

Cappster Tue 14-Sep-10 10:25:55

I do feel sorry for MNHQ. I imagine it is a difficult situation for them 'umm, Mr Clegg, I know you wanted to talk about maternal death, there have been 3 questions on that subject and 104 emotive posts saying you have sold your soul the the devil. Cup of tea?'

It's not MNHQ's fault. Was he really so naive he thought he could come and talk to us about maternal death and have us all forget what was going on nationally and gather round with fawning questions about the Good He Was Doing because it was a Wimmin's Ishoo?

PenelopeTitsDropped Tue 14-Sep-10 10:26:01

GetOrf.
Apparently so, according to this Sunday's ST.

Cappster Tue 14-Sep-10 10:26:43

the top part of that last post of mine was a quote from further up the thread btw- the quote marks fell off

<searches on floor>

Eleison Tue 14-Sep-10 10:28:23

The OP does say that he is 'happy to answer questions on his role as the Deputy Prime Minister'. I take that to mean questions about any part of the policies of the government of which his position makes him a joint figurehead.

vesela Tue 14-Sep-10 10:29:01

no, I think he probably wants to come on for a good argument.

LilyBolero Tue 14-Sep-10 10:32:39

Here are some quotes from Nick Clegg

""^It is just preposterous the idea that if a party comes third in the number of votes, it still has somehow the right to carry on squatting in No 10 ... I think a party which has come third – and so millions of people have decided to abandon them – has lost the election spectacularly^"

Er, which party came 3rd? That would be the Lib Dems.

"^As for who I'd work with, I've been very clear......with anyone who can deliver the greater fairness that I think people want.^""

Greater Fairness.

"^historically, Labour and Liberal Democrats are two wings of a progressive tradition in British politics.^""

That would be PROGRESSIVE. Not REGRESSIVE.

""^There is just a gulf between what David Cameron stands for and what I stand for, in terms of values, in terms of internationalism, in terms of fairness, in terms of progressive tax reform, in terms of political reform, in terms of simply living in denial, as does Labour, about a major problem of their creation in the immigration system.^""

The Tories have held firm to their values, so where does that leave the LibDems?

LilyBolero Tue 14-Sep-10 10:33:47

(Sorry, formatting didn't work)

""*It is just preposterous the idea that if a party comes third in the number of votes, it still has somehow the right to carry on squatting in No 10 ... I think a party which has come third – and so millions of people have decided to abandon them – has lost the election spectacularly*"

Er, which party came 3rd? That would be the Lib Dems.

"*As for who I'd work with, I've been very clear......with anyone who can deliver the greater fairness that I think people want.*""

Greater Fairness.

"*historically, Labour and Liberal Democrats are two wings of a progressive tradition in British politics.*""

That would be PROGRESSIVE. Not REGRESSIVE.

""*There is just a gulf between what David Cameron stands for and what I stand for, in terms of values, in terms of internationalism, in terms of fairness, in terms of progressive tax reform, in terms of political reform, in terms of simply living in denial, as does Labour, about a major problem of their creation in the immigration system.*""

The Tories have held firm to their values, so where does that leave the LibDems?

LilyBolero Tue 14-Sep-10 10:34:01

oh forget the formatting!

LilyBolero Tue 14-Sep-10 10:37:54

And just one more - this is the one I was looking for;

" Before the election result, the Liberal Democrat education spokesman, David Laws, derided the Conservatives' plans for education as "deeply flawed", "absurd" and an "incoherent muddle".

His party leader, Nick Clegg, described the Tory flagship free schools policy as a "disaster for standards"."

From BBC News

Abandoned principles? Hook, line and sinker.

vesela Tue 14-Sep-10 10:41:51

lilybolero, I reckon it ties in with the other question about whether he thinks he's making a fairer Britain, & also how much of the things in the second-to-last para he thinks the LDs are achieving in government.

LilyBolero Tue 14-Sep-10 10:45:32

vesela, yes, if he was actually implementing a LD agenda that would be one thing, but free schools, immigration caps, penalising financially the poorest in society, have never been part of the LD manifesto. I am certain tuition fees for students will also rise, and the LDs are only allowed to abstain from the vote, not vote against it, despite many of them (inc NC) signing a pledge to OPPOSE any rise in tuition fees.

longfingernails Tue 14-Sep-10 11:10:06

Hello, Nick.

Well done for doing the right thing in the national interest!

My question is: will you be fighting tooth and nail for savage cuts to the EU budget? Britain is being forced to make 25-40% departmental cuts at home because of Labour's immoral and unforgivable spending splurge. Surely the amount we pay to the EU and other European institutions should be cut by at least 50%?

WynkenBlynkenandNod Tue 14-Sep-10 11:10:27

Nick, I have voted Lib Dem most of my adult life, though part of that is due to the fact that our constituency is two horse race between Lib Dem and Conservative.

I listened to the pre-election coverage and heared you say you would be protecting NHS and Education. So why do I now find my local hospital has a large budget deficit for next year and will have to cut jobs and beds ? Our desperately needed new Maternity unit looks like it has been shelved leaving an antiquated system that is often short staffed, a situation which surely can only lead to increased maternal mortality .

My friend is a practice nurse and her job is now under threat, her husband works in Drug and Alcohol services as does another friend, they are waiting to hear about the future of their jobs and really the list goes on. DH has already been made redundant and my small business which was just starting to recover from the last few years is going down the pan rapidly as people are cutting back gain in fear of what is to come and due to redundancy.

I also heard you talk about reduced class sizes which was something I wasn't actually concerned about at our local schools all have TA's and there were 2 adults per 30 children which I felt was fine. But recently I saw that TA's jobs are being axed, which will have a bit impact on classroom learning. Yesterday DS's teacher was asking for parents to help in the afternoon as she doesn't have a TA then and it makes it really difficult for her to get through the things she needs to with the whole class. friends who have spent the last couple of years training to be TA's can't get work.

What I'd like to know is how can things like this be happening (and this is just the tiniest tip of the iceberg, clearly more is to come) when both yourself and David Cameron stood up and assurred us all that front line services would be protected. Clearly they are not.

MmeLindt Tue 14-Sep-10 11:33:35

Nick
I do wonder why you are doing this webchat. Did you or your advisers really not think that this might be the reaction awaiting you?

Anyway, to my question.

When you look back on the past year, which decision would you like to unmake?

LadyBlaBlah Tue 14-Sep-10 11:34:44

This is going to be my favourite webchat ever

The MDG summit seems to be a wet fish in terms of concrete benefits being given to poor members of our planet, and instead seems to be more ego driven - declared altruism never is altruistic.

Most of the MDG goals are failing, e.g. more than 1 billion will still live in extreme poverty by 2015. and in fact the best way to improve the situation in many of these countries is not about simply increasing aid which is what Nick is going to come on here and brag about - instead it is more about politics and fair government ( from a report by Andy Sumner - [[ http://www.eadi.org/index.php?id=1108 here]]

So, if it is fair government they need, well.......do I need to say it?

LadyBlaBlah Tue 14-Sep-10 11:35:18
tabouleh Tue 14-Sep-10 11:35:46

FGS people this thread is a disgrace! Fine, lot's of you think Nick sold out.

Lots of the posts on here don't even contain questions! <<how about we take the deabte overto this thread and just ask Q's here?>.

Question re role as DPM:

Please can you confirm that you are aware of the Fawcett Society's response to the parliamentary reform proposals?

Nick, I think that you have the opportunity to improve the representation of women in parliament - most posters on MN are women - we do not have an equal voice in politics - what are your plans to improve the representation of women?

This leads me to a Question re the Millennium Goals Summit:

Do you agree that one of these goals, equality for women would actually go along way to solving the rest of them (end poverty and hunger, universal education, child health, maternal health, combat HIV/AIDS, ensure environmental sustainability and develop a global partnership for development.

Take Half the Sky and The Spirit Level for your in-flight reading. grin

LadyBlaBlah Tue 14-Sep-10 11:39:20

That's sweet, Tabouleh, but Nick is a big boy now

sausagerolemodel Tue 14-Sep-10 11:53:43

Dear Nick,

I was a libdem supporter. I even inspired and wore the Team Clegg Needs You badge:

www.flickr.com/photos/deathgob/4557544382/

…alas to no avail.

Question: How do you expect to improve maternal health and choice for any women in developing countries when you can't even manage it here?

Case in point. The Albany, a midwife led practice contracted to Kings College Hospital was closed last year following a report/investigation into a small number of neonatal injuries which SPECIFICALLY STATED that it was NOT a statistical report and therefore was NOT evidence on which such decisions should be taken. What do you propose to do to bring back the Albany and more practices like it, so that we can learn better about educating women about midwife lead birth and spread this education throughout the developing world.

LilyBolero Tue 14-Sep-10 12:00:26
SanctiMoanyArse Tue 14-Sep-10 13:04:52

I tell you what Riv. I'd have him over for tea. I'd even offer cake. AS long as we don't have 'it's all Labour's fault' as the perpetual excuse: that bored. it's your all now LD and you can't prove you'd ahve done any better with a very complex fiscal situation anyway. Deal with it as adults not pointing and saying 'he did it Miss'.

Someone said about the whole progressive / regressive thing V campaigning on keep tories out was wrong: totally agree. As I said am not against colaition as such but totally against the way the entire LD voice has ben absorbed. As for the election pact- pah. That's actually quite nasty and controlling. It's not supposed to be about keeping a aprty out: it's suposed to be about having a range of options for what you ethically believe in surely? So reducing those options is a direct blow to the electorate as a whole.

Trouble is, it all makes sense under capitalism. Best way to blast strikes? A huge army of unemployed people ready to take on low paid jobs in minutes fearful of incredibly tiny benefits. If you apply pure capitalism to most of these things they aowrk: trouble is pure capitalism is horrid, it amkes mockeries of lives.

An example: today I got a flyer detailing that carers in Wales save the state an estimated £5.69 billion a year. So I am discussing this in enrolment queue at uni. person says they want carer's allowance removed so private homes and institutioncs can thrive and suport the economy with jobs and get carers sent out to raise revenue also. I ask about teh humanity behind this: the very real lives it would destroy (becuase if I hand to hand my boy to such a place absolutely it would destroy me). Apaprently it's not about niceness, pleasantry or kindness: it's about the £ and the pennies.

And if that's how you think then well what can you do? Except weep silently, of course. And be gratefult aht labour got in ehre dspite me LD vote because i'd have felt far worse had they not.

I wasn't going to post this, as it seemed trivial. But it's been nagging away at me since yesterday and, since I read this morning's report in the Guardian about the MDG summit, it suddenly seemed less than trivial.

The UN summit has some amazing ambitions, and I'm pleased that our government, regardless of what I think of the coalition, is an active participant. But what on earth are celebrities doing there?

Is it the case that, because this about women, we have to have someone pretty/handsome to look at? Talk about trivialising a seriously important issue.

SanctiMoanyArse Tue 14-Sep-10 13:32:37

Good Q BIWI.

Celeb culture- pah.

dinkystinky Tue 14-Sep-10 13:38:24

A maternal death related query for Mr Clegg: given in the poorest countries, so many factors (distance from health facilities in case of complications, lack of infrastructure, poverty of population, unhealthy living conditions where clean water and clean air is far from the norm,lack of education and suspicion of the new, to name but a few) contribute to the maternal death statistics, how is this conference actually envisaged to tackle all of these contributing issues?

UnePrune Tue 14-Sep-10 14:07:53

That's a really good question dinkystinky. It's why I asked down the thread what NC is learning - it's such a huge, huge web of poverty, malnutrition, lack of access to hygienic conditions (NB doesn't have to be a hospital), depressing attitudes towards women, random cultural factors, fear

If hygiene is the biggest "saviour" of pregnant women, how do they propose to change global society to ensure that all women have access to a hygienic environment to give birth in? If nutrition is the next biggest factor - well, that's a hard one too. [understatement]

And where does the aftermath of childbirth fit into this? Infection, fistulae, prolapse etc. These can ruin lives.

trice Tue 14-Sep-10 16:52:29

I voted lib dem, and I will again.

I would like Nick to press for more investment into adult literacy in the developing world. Women who can't read are seriously disadvantaged when it comes to accessing healthcare.

Eleison Tue 14-Sep-10 17:06:20

Profound parliamentary change was the only reason I voted Lib Dem. So I'd like to ask Clegg whether he thinks that a referendum on the Alternative Vote (with the Conservatives free to badmouth this relatively minor electoral reform while the Lib Dems are campaigning for a Yes vote) is enough of a move in the direction of proportional representation to justify the Lib Dems' participation in the coalition. It is a much less decisive step towards PR than I expected them to hold out for.

grouchyoscar Tue 14-Sep-10 17:13:01

I would like to ask Mr Clegg why have the government put a stop to the free swimming for U16s and over 60s? This may cost the NHS more in the long run when you consider the impact of rising obesity and an increasingly sentient society. This mealy mouthed penny pinching will have deeper more costly impacts in the future.

Amonamouse Tue 14-Sep-10 17:39:26

Since the coalition governent came in -
dh works for local council - half his team made redundant, the ones left cannot physically do the work - the building he works in is being sold off and his job will end in a year. My job - council have cut our funding and arts council cut the rest. My job will end next year.

I work with vulnerable people and i have never experienced this level of worry and uncertainty - social services support being removed, people left unsupported and services knowing that by March they will no longer exist.

We both feel totally bleak and anxious about the future, how will we pay the mortgage, how will we support our children? We live in a rural area where jobs are scarce, we've both worked hard and feel like the government have just unravelled our future with startling efficiency.

Is this really the only way?

CheekyLittleSox Tue 14-Sep-10 17:43:51

With regards to the employment statistics today, there so many jobs offered in local papers and the job center by employment agencies, BUT when called up they say they do not have any vacancies, they say they are no longer accepting (even a day after advertising) or the requirement for Identification is a Birth Certificate (which i believe is not a valid proof of ID as it states so on the actual certificate) a valid Passport or a National Insurance Card?

Question 1
My question is Nick Are the Government asking for Job Centre and Employment Agencies to advertise jobs that are not there, and also why do English people need to provide a Birth Certificate when a P45 or P60 or an out of date passport would be relevant for proof of identification as it proves that they have already being passed via the Home Office?

CheekyLittleSox Tue 14-Sep-10 17:44:42

the not for blush

CheekyLittleSox Tue 14-Sep-10 17:47:03

i ask this question because my husband and i are out of work, me due to the cost of extortionate child care rates and my husband was finished from work in July because of illness. Since then he has signed up with JSA and is searching for jobs daily, to no success. Warehouse jobs are not hard he has 10 years experience of working in warehousing but yet no one will take him on because his passport is 2 years out of date, he lost his NI Card when he was younger and his Birth Certificate, he cannot find. His mum does not have it and she said that it is on a small copy - which would not provide proof of identification because when this certificate was issued, a birth before marriage was frowned up on.

CheekyLittleSox Tue 14-Sep-10 17:55:00

2nd Question
I am a 24 year old female who has had two children in the last 4 years. Currently i am experiencing problems, my symptoms mirror those of the signs of Cervical Cancer. I have seen doctors, nurses, Gynecologist but i am too young for a smear test. i am extremely annoyed that the petition to lower the age of Smear tests in young women from 25 to 20 was thrown out? I have being told to ask for a smear the day after my birthday - so what will change over night from me being 24 on the Saturday and me turning 25 on the Sunday. I believe the reason that was given for this is wrong on all levels.

My 2nd question is
Will this be looked at again, too many women are getting diagnosed with Cervical Cancer and are dying because of this, leaving behind children. Many of my friends have had smears and they are the same age as me, does it go what area you live in? I am in East Yorkshire (Goole)

CheekyLittleSox Tue 14-Sep-10 18:18:09

Seing as half of these are not questions but digs at Mr Clegg. Please can i ask a 3rd and final question?

Question 3

As the VAT rises in January to from 17.5% to 20% will the benefits be going up, benefits including JSA? We find it hard to survive as it is, and come January this will be even worse for us.

We would get a job but like i have said previously Child costs prevent me from working and jobs being advertised are none exsistant according to the Agencies advertising them.

justabit Tue 14-Sep-10 18:25:23

Following is my first ever link which I hope works. It should be a summary of the MDGs aims and progress which I think is a little bit on the positive side but worth reading if you want to engage with Mr Clegg on the matter.

{http://www.alertnet.org/db/an_art/57964/2010/08/1 4-144854-1.htm

As I have nothing constructive to say to Mr Clegg probably best to say nothing. I am very heartened by the other messages however and very glad to see them.

SanctiMoanyArse Tue 14-Sep-10 18:33:04

CLS some are going down, if anything: have a look at housing benefit to see if youa re affeected (but it is complex as it's to do with length of time on benefit and average priced house in your area- and area is a quite sizeable geographocal area. To move to the average priced area we'd have to hand in all 3 school palces: praying we never need to rely on that!)

I would suggest that after the next batch of anouncements you need to take a trip to your local CAB to get a full benefit check done, see what you are entitled to and how it will all be affected. But no, don't expect rises at all. Neither though should tou read the headlines and panic- it's not set in stone yet. For example, there's a rumour that people getting EMA will be subject to a time limit on claiming. Am hoping treasure see stupidity of that given that some people are severely disbled or whatever and a time limit is meaningless to them- triply so when back to work services are likely to be cut!

WoodyAllen Tue 14-Sep-10 18:34:08

Hello Nick Clegg - a lone voice saying I think you did the right thing to form a coalition. Over time I hope you will be assertive enough to influence Tory policy. No-one really won the election but Labour certainly lost. I hope they can form an effective opposition again but in the meantime I am delighted to see the Tories working with the LibDems. I don't think you sold out.

I don't have a question but I do hope your party will continue to pursue the improvement of the status of women across the world. I'm sorry people have used this to rant instead of to ask questions. Have a nice glass of wine later.

SanctiMoanyArse Tue 14-Sep-10 18:36:31

You're NOT a lone voice Woody

Vesela said it, I said I had no issues with the colaition formation only with how it evolved.

WoodyAllen Tue 14-Sep-10 18:38:38

Sorry - just couldn't read all 4 pages.

CheekyLittleSox Tue 14-Sep-10 18:51:18

SanctiMoanyArse

I am at the CAB tomorrow with my sure start worker, we are going to see about getting a Debt Relief order put in place. I am also going to find out if we are claiming everything we are entitled too.I think we are, but im hoping she says there something else

<grins and rubs hands in delight - but then realisation sets in and i realse that we are claiming everything we can>

SanctiMoanyArse Tue 14-Sep-10 18:59:24

Entitled to will tell yu what you can get as an idea.

if your DH is out of work though have you thought about going back? (and no I am not nagging LOL.... DH was amde redudnant a year ago and I am a carer, he's back studying and working now but I can't work for childcare either, albeit diffeent reasons). Mind, becuase I can't work ATM i do rather over-glamourise working I suspect: I know it's a complex thing.

VicarInaTuTu Tue 14-Sep-10 19:13:46

ok im gonna ask, sod it.

what about the 40,000 front line police jobs that are being threatened. why cut front line services when in all likelihood the way things are going we are heading for some civil unrest? (some are saying a winter of discontent) resources are stretched to breaking point as it is. please listen to the federation, and please answer why emergency services are not being protected.

that will be my one and only question.

CheekyLittleSox Tue 14-Sep-10 19:47:20

I left my last job in march because of my depression , i suffered from PND badly in 2008 and 2009. i started a full time job in june last year then went down to part time in november last year tehn i quit in march because i was getting worse and if i'd have carried on in that employment i would have being taken away in a straight jacket.

I am looking for work, anything up to 16 hours so we get WTC back but theres sod all out there i mean you even have to have experience for bar work and i dont have that. i have office and supermarket experience, i got refused a job at a new morrisons store that opened in my town in august and now they have staff leaving but yet if you ring up like i did todayy they say they are not recruiting at the minute - we are just hitting brick walls all the time and the governemtn dont know what its like to be in that situation, so thats what i asked him those questions. i just hope i get a response nick clegg are you reading this wink

CheekyLittleSox Tue 14-Sep-10 19:48:27

i got refused at morrisons because they preferred to take on people who didnt have experience in that area of work. iykwim?

SanctiMoanyArse Tue 14-Sep-10 20:05:48

Cheeky it needs to be over 16 hours for WTC. DH works self employed and we get them as long as he does over 16 (though in fact whilst we only claim 16 hour rate as we think it ould be unfair to claim enhanced rate of £30 due to current low profit marhgin, he works more llike 40 on top of full time study)

I hope you find something soon and that your surestart worker can help. Depression is horrid, have witnessed it close up, and I wish you well. X

Aitch Tue 14-Sep-10 22:09:07

<marking place>

another one who wants an answer re the fawcett soc.

mellifluouscauliflower Tue 14-Sep-10 22:16:05

Dear Mr Clegg,

All I can see is the prioritising wars and nuclear weapons over schools and playgrounds. Have you any positive messages for us Mothers?

Thank you

MelliC.

edam Tue 14-Sep-10 22:21:34

Nick, can I ask you why someone who cares about women and babies would be privatising the NHS?

(Don't be tempted to tell any porkies here, you ARE ordering all hospitals to become foundation trusts and then go off into the private sector - calling it social enterprise so it doesn't sound too commercial doesn't alter the essential point which is that they won't be owned and run by the NHS any more.)

LilyBolero Tue 14-Sep-10 22:25:49

Not to mention handing the budgets over to the GPs who are NOT EMPLOYED BY THE NHS, they are self-employed.

edam Tue 14-Sep-10 22:27:42

cheeky re. cervical cancer - you may be too younger for the screening programme but any worrying symptoms should be properly and thoroughly investigated.

Screening programmes monitor a whole population for early signs of a disease. It doesn't mean people who are actually showing symptoms should be ignored.

Do go to your doctor, please. And contact Cancer Research UK for advice. Or you could try the Eve Appeal website. They focus on raising money for research but have links to the charities that support patients with cervical and womb cancer, where you may be able to get some guidance on what action doctors should take for someone with your symptoms.

CheekyLittleSox Tue 14-Sep-10 22:30:46

If the NHS is privatised doed that mean we will have to paay for doctors appointments and hospital appointments because if that's the case then I'm fucked, I'm asthmatic and go to docs over 4 times a month. I can't afford drs fees everytime I need to see a Dr. That's bloody stupid!

Please Nick Clegg say this move is bleeding ridiculous!

CheekyLittleSox Tue 14-Sep-10 22:30:47

If the NHS is privatised doed that mean we will have to paay for doctors appointments and hospital appointments because if that's the case then I'm fucked, I'm asthmatic and go to docs over 4 times a month. I can't afford drs fees everytime I need to see a Dr. That's bloody stupid!

Please Nick Clegg say this move is bleeding ridiculous!

CheekyLittleSox Tue 14-Sep-10 22:32:12

Thank you sanctimoanyarse. I am getting better but money worries and wondering when we'll be on top again makes me sink again

CheekyLittleSox Tue 14-Sep-10 22:35:56

edam
IV being to a gynae and she took more bloody swabs as she said I was too young. I went to my local FPC and she said that a colopscopy would be what I need But the gynae refused to do me one along with a smear. I'm at a dead end. IV put in a complaint to the PCT of east riding.

I'll look into them that ytou have supplied thank you

CheekyLittleSox Tue 14-Sep-10 22:35:57

edam
IV being to a gynae and she took more bloody swabs as she said I was too young. I went to my local FPC and she said that a colopscopy would be what I need But the gynae refused to do me one along with a smear. I'm at a dead end. IV put in a complaint to the PCT of east riding.

I'll look into them that ytou have supplied thank you

CheekyLittleSox Tue 14-Sep-10 23:04:13

bloody phone posting twice.

edam Tue 14-Sep-10 23:13:57

Hope Cancer Research UK or the charities you'll find linked to the Eve Appeal will be able to help. If a gynae says you don't need a colposcopy, that could be a good thing i.e. in her honest professional opinion there's no indication for one. But it's worth finding out more.

CheekyLittleSox Tue 14-Sep-10 23:15:28

edam
i have sent the cancer research an email detailing my problems. Thank you

edam Tue 14-Sep-10 23:18:05

(Oh, and it's the hospitals they are floating off, not the GP surgeries. I'm sure hospitals will have to carry on seeing NHS patients, but the government is abandoning the waiting list targets while lifting any restriction on how much money hospitals can make out of private patients. So a cynical person might conclude a hospital chief executive's business plan would be to make NHS waiting lists as long as possible so people go private in order to be seen. But I'm sure Nick will tell us he wouldn't dream of allowing anything like that to happen.)

CheekyLittleSox Tue 14-Sep-10 23:45:39

we want to hope so edam

CheekyLittleSox Tue 14-Sep-10 23:46:56

edam she gave me some anti biotics, told me i could have an infection then she said that it was my contraception that was causing it but the injection makes your periods irregular the first few sessions you have of the injection not 18 month later.

Il just have to maybe wait till november.

Sakura Wed 15-Sep-10 07:29:14

I am very concerned about maternal death rate in the USA, which ranks 41st in the world after some African countries, according to Amnesty INternational:

"The USA spends more than any other country on health care, and more on maternal health than any other type of hospital care. Despite this, women in the USA have a higher risk of dying of pregnancy-related complications than those in 40 other countries, [including nearly all the industrialized countries]. " Amnesty

The US also has the second worst newborn mortality rate in the world.

Q: Will you be tackling Mr. Obama about the appalling maternal and infant mortality rate in the US?
And if not, don't you worry about coming accross as imperialistic for focusing on "poor" countries, whose main cause of maternal death is poverty, often inflicted upon them by western international free trade policies?

wahwah Wed 15-Sep-10 07:33:12

Dear Mr Clegg

Your concern for maternal and infant mortality in developing nations and associated issues is commendable. I hope you are able to understand our concerns for our sisters across the world, our desire to give them the care they deserve and represent this.

However, given your Government's plans to change the NHS ( or 'destroy' as most would say ) do you expect to see infant and maternal mortality rise here and if not, why not?

None of your policies appear evidence based to me, but I am no expert, so I would be interested if you could give us evidence for why the choices you have made in Healthcare are the right ones from real experts, not opportunistic politicians who appear to want to give power and cash to their mates.

Regards

Sakura Wed 15-Sep-10 07:37:34

The reason I ask is because I am concerned that the technocratic model of childbirth, which is damaging for women with its emphasis on obstetrician-led care, episiotomy and formula feeding, (which is probably partly responsible for the shocking maternal death rate in the U.S) will replace mother-led birthing in developing countries at a profit to western companies.
Can you reassure me that world leaders will not try to impose the capitalistic-technocratic model on birthing mothers worldwide, but instead focus on tackling poverty?

expatinscotland Wed 15-Sep-10 09:09:04

Personally, I'm far more concerned about there not being fire personnel and police about when I ring 999 than pregnancy and childbirth in a foreign country.

Also about the plans to sack soldiers the second they're no longer sticking their necks out to serve the country's needs.

hmm

But of course, Mr Clegg won't touch on any of that here.

You reap what you sow.

Sakura Wed 15-Sep-10 09:17:15

Don't be silly expat, somebody's got to pay for the celebrities to fly to this conference, and you're talking about indulgences. Pffft.

mumof4boys72 Wed 15-Sep-10 09:25:41

cheeky,push push and push even more,my friend had cervical cancer at the age of 27.

lucky1979 Wed 15-Sep-10 09:39:59

"formula feeding, (which is probably partly responsible for the shocking maternal death rate in the U.S)"

Really? Has someone not told them they're suppose to give it to the babies, not subside on it themselves?

Sakura Wed 15-Sep-10 09:47:52

formula feeding was refering to infant mortality rate but my specific concern is the way the technocratic, obstetric model of care is being rolled out accross the world at great profit to the capitalists, and that the main ethos of this conference is to maximise profit in the third world.
Ever heard of Nestle?

babymutha Wed 15-Sep-10 11:05:28

Does power tend to corrupt and absolute power corrupt absolutely?

loopyloops Wed 15-Sep-10 11:08:27

Not so topical, but to me a very important question, so please answer it if you can.

Nick. Do you remember your visit to the Nag's Head in Malvern on your campaign trail? Do you remember a woman giving you a letter from a Facebook group, and kissing her baby (who was waving a yellow "We agree with Nick" flag)?
You should remember it as it was your first (and only?) baby kissing moment on your campaign trail. Do you remember that baby's name? Florence Rose.

What I would like to know is how come your new mate Dave ended up giving his daughter exactly the same name? Even Endellion is very similar to her surname. Is this a coincidence? If not I am very cross and would like an apology.

Incidentally, neither of us agree with Nick any more. Dave put a stop to that.

DonDons Wed 15-Sep-10 11:18:40

Nick - I live in your constituency and voted for you last time. I do not intend to waste my precious vote in the same manner again.

Thanks to you and your colleagues, DH will not have a job post 2012 despite 20 years of loyal service protecting the public purse.

How are you going to win back my vote?

Thanks

JulesJules Netherlands Wed 15-Sep-10 11:29:36

Please answer the Fawcett question.

Thanks.

kveta Wed 15-Sep-10 13:07:01

I voted LibDem and will again. As Vesela (quick aside - ahoj veselo, jak se mas? ) says, the libdems did what they said they'd do - I don't agree with all that they have compromised on, but don't expect them to be able to please everyone - how could they?

My question is a bit crap and not quite on topic, but here goes:

I've been really impressed with the breastfeeding support in my local area (Hertfordshire), but am aware that such resources are not available throughout the UK. given that breastfeeding is supposed to be the best way to feed a baby, and that many thrid world countries supposedly follow the example of the western world, and thus see formula feeding as a desirable option (hence high child mortality rates through contaminated water, malnutrition, etc etc), will there be a greater emphasis on breastfeeding support in the UK to try and normalise it as a feeding method here and elsewhere?

healthymums Wed 15-Sep-10 13:55:46

Hi Nick,

The best way to help mothers and babies in poor countries would be to make sure they all have access to free healthcare, that countries have propoerly equipped clinics in rural and urban areas, with properly trained medical staff. Are you going to support poorer countries to give their women and children free care? How will you address the shortage of nurses and doctors?

eggcustard Wed 15-Sep-10 14:06:36

Dear Mr Clegg
Why, with the coalition government supported by only 57 Liberal Democrat seats and 307 Conservative seats (Labour support in 258 seats did not demonstrate a whitewash for the Conservatives), do you feel that you have a mandate for the radical changes that you are imposing on public service provision?

80% of voters in this country did not vote Liberal Democrat and yet you are our Deputy Prime Minister. Surely the electoral reform that you are proposing will make a situation like this even more likely in future?

Please note in your reply that I am aware of the 'deficit mantra' and that I already understand the electoral system and the technicalities, I am asking about the mandate for change which I do not believe that you have.

Madsometimes Wed 15-Sep-10 14:50:49

Hi Nick

I also voted Lib Dem at the last election. I will vote Lib Dem again, and I think that you are doing a good job working with the party that had the strongest mandate.

I'm learning Spanish at my local college and it does concern me that adult education is a very easy area to cut. However, colleges do provide a vital service. Many young people are not motivated to learn while at school, but return to education with a new hunger later in life. Please remember that acquisition of skills is a life long process, and that a strong adult education sector is vital, particularly in a recession when people are changing careers. Gracias.

PenelopeTitsDropped Wed 15-Sep-10 16:11:45

mrsden Wed 15-Sep-10 16:26:46

Nick,

Why is the Government refusing to agree to sign the EU directive on human trafficking? Don't you think that this is exactly the type of issue that needs cooperation at a European level?

PenelopeTitsDropped Wed 15-Sep-10 16:56:43

expatinscotland Wed 15-Sep-10 17:32:35

He has, Penelope, really?

EEwww.

tabouleh Wed 15-Sep-10 17:36:42

PenelopeTitsDropped Wed 15-Sep-10 18:25:10

PenelopeTitsDropped Wed 15-Sep-10 18:29:56

Mr Clegg

It has been said, that the PAYE scheme, currently being administered by Employers, is to be transferred to the Revenue.

Your comments please.

sethstarkaddersmum Wed 15-Sep-10 19:57:11

Hi Nick,
Why are there so few women in the cabinet & what is the coalition going to do to make sure this situation improves?

msyikes Wed 15-Sep-10 20:59:22

Why is mumsnet deleting so many messages?
I want to know what they said!! My question is, If Nick Clegg and co can make our lives a total misery and jeapordise our family homes and livelihoods, even though Nick Clegg only led the THIRD most popular party at the election, then why can't WE say whatever we want to him????

Ponders Wed 15-Sep-10 21:13:00

It was possibly a bit slanderous, msy - and after the whole SWMNBN-rockets-to-Lebanon situation, MN are a bit trigger-happy when it comes to slander (or indeed libel)[not a lawyer] wink

serin Wed 15-Sep-10 21:17:31

Hello Nick,

Does the government plan to continue funding for IVF treatments?

If so what assurances can it give that this public money will be spent within the NHS and not used to make fat cat private clinic owners even richer?

MIssAnneThrope Wed 15-Sep-10 21:18:14

Dear Mr Clegg

Do the LibDems deserve the sense of betrayal they now claim, for having been too petrified ever to resolve the historic division between social liberals and economic liberals in their membership?

bytheMoonlight Wed 15-Sep-10 21:23:41

Does Nick Clegg think he should be honest to the public about what selling Royal Mail off to a private company really means for the public?

Does he honestly believe a private company would send a letter from Cornwall to remote Scotland for the price of a second class stamp?

Does he honestly believe a private firm would to continue to deliver to every household in the UK everyday? And collect from every postbox in the UK everyday?

Or does he envisge a system like that in America or Australia where mailboxes are introduced and the days of receving post to indivual addresses are gone

pocketmonster Wed 15-Sep-10 21:23:45

Nick

Do you consider it morally acceptable for the Government to take away Public Sector workers accrued rights in respect of redundancy and pension payments?

Thank you.

msyikes Wed 15-Sep-10 21:26:25

serin honestly, I am not being flippant but I think the answer to that would be no assurances at all, since the govt seems to believe the private sector is the answer to all our woes and the fat cats of which you speak are their old chums (MN, can we get a class war rant emoticon??)

TheFoosa Wed 15-Sep-10 21:45:29

what did Penelope say? was it rude?

TheFoosa Wed 15-Sep-10 21:46:32

I'm sure he's heard worse

tribpot Wed 15-Sep-10 21:53:55

Dear Nick Clegg,

I believe the reorganisation of the NHS is going to be extremely expensive and the costs significantly outweigh any benefits. Would the government be prepared to consider less radical measures that might achieve some of the same aims, for example, mandating the presence of GPs on the boards of PCTs?

Thank you.

PS when I say "I believe" it will be expensive I mean that I know it will.

Ponders Wed 15-Sep-10 22:16:46

Nick

Please see through just one of the promises that originally kicked off the welter of "I agree with Nick" placards - get Trident cancelled.

That'll save a bob or two for the welfare budget.

edam Wed 15-Sep-10 22:29:32

I think it was a reference to Nick's daft answer when some interviewer asked how many women he'd slept with. Think William Hague boasting about drinking 30 pints a day when he was on work experience on a beer wagon...

Sakura Wed 15-Sep-10 22:36:09

healthymums, sometimes expat charities spend lots of money focusing on creating beautiful clinics fully staffed in developing countries, which then stand empty because local women have a strong culture of homebirth, which is ignored. Energies and money would be better invested on making homebirth safer. A rise in C-section, for example, would be a disaster in the third world, and is another reason for the high US mortality rate (a third of US women give birth by C-section)

IN additinon, western-led clinics are a good base to peddle formula from, and once a baby is on formula its chance of dyin increases, in which case sometimes Plumpynut is given (the US and France are arguing over the patenting of Plumpynut right now, which is bascially a follow on formula for the third world. All this undermines breastfeeding, mothers, and babies' lives)

mumof4boys72 Wed 15-Sep-10 22:42:47

Sakura i planned a homebirth,the midwife couldnt be arrsed comming,she eventually turned up whe id already delivererd the baby.

moved like shit off a shovel then!!!!! although i was lucky,next time someone may not be.

SanctiMoanyArse Wed 15-Sep-10 23:17:42

Sakura plumpynuit is not just a follow on formula: plenty of small children who have been fed to a good age (as someone who is still feeding their 2.5 year old I do mean a good age!) have benefited from the product, it's a Very Good Thing.

I do agree thought that in order to make things work you have to work within the parameters of a country's culture (with exception for certain things- such as packing a cut umbilicus with mud).

serin Wed 15-Sep-10 23:23:57

Msyikes, You are right, I do not expect any assurances from him, I just need to see him squirm.

Anenome Wed 15-Sep-10 23:46:22

Will you be addressing the fact that in Australia, Aboriginal women are twice as likely as caucasian Australians to lose a child due to stillbrth?

Australia is not a poor country by any means but the disparity between the pre and post natal care recieved by the Indigenous women of the cuntry and that recieved by caucasian women is unsettling.

This is a country where Aboriginal people are still suffering from diseases which are all but wiped out in other developed contries...diseases which contribute to still births.

SpeedyGonzalez Thu 16-Sep-10 00:10:57

Oooh, kveta, ktory jezek mowis? grin (please don't make your answer too complicated, I'm just a beginner!)

Anemone - your question is closely related to my post as I said a similar-ish thing about birth outcomes in the USA. It's interesting to note that Australia is another Western country where birth care is heavily consultant-driven.

Nick, I must say that despite asking you questions on this thread I do have a jaded view of the effectiveness of politicians. Having met one of the Labour leaderships candidates earlier this year I very much got the impression that his remit was to do no more than to cover his arse by parroting the party line. I do hope that as Deputy PM you're able to exert more clout than that.

SpeedyGonzalez Thu 16-Sep-10 00:23:25

Just seen some questions about our payment of aid to African countries. To anyone who's interested, you could do worse than watch this - a talk by Andrew Mwenda, a Ugandan newspaper journalist who explains his increasingly popular viewpoint that aid should be abolished.

Sakura Thu 16-Sep-10 06:55:34

SpeedyGonzalez,
it is NOT a Good Thing when the US and France are arguing over the patenting of a product because of the sheer profit available from it.

WHat on earth is going on that children are weaned off breastmilk before the age of three in the third world?

It's in Plumpynut's interest to interfere with breastfeeding so that poor countries will have to rely on its product.

When I meant "follow-on-formula", I meant that extended breastfeeding is not being encouraged, to the detriment of the babies. Plumpynut cannot replace extended breastfeeding despite what the all the clever marketing tells you.

Sakura Thu 16-Sep-10 07:01:54

I agree with you SpeedyGonzalez, that aid should be abolished.
A lot of Aid is nothing more than dumping, which, yet again, benefits the rich countries (suprise suprise)

Food aid as dumping

Remember the much-publicized famine in Ethiopia during the 1980s? Many of us don’t realize that, during that famine, Ethiopia was exporting green beans to Europe.

But the deeper issue here has to do with the fact that food aid is not usually free. It is often loaned, albeit at a low interest rate. When the U.S. sent wheat to Indonesia during the 1999 crisis, it was a loan to be paid back over a twenty-five-year period. In this manner, food aid has helped the U.S. take over grain markets in India, Nigeria, Korea, and elsewhere

"Dumping food on to poorer nations (i.e. free, subsidized, or cheap food, below market prices) undercuts local farmers, who cannot compete and are driven out of jobs and into poverty, further slanting the market share of the larger producers such as those from the US and Europe"

"In the last 60 years or so, following the great human tragedy of the Bengal famine, food aid was conveniently used as a political weapon…

"… [S]ubsidies, tariffs and other trade policies eliminate the comparative advantage of other regions to maintain healthy economies in the developed world. … The result of these First World subsidies [for export] are shattered Third World economies."

In other words, poverty in the third world is caused by rich north-western countries.

Stillcounting Thu 16-Sep-10 07:35:45

Hi Nick

Well done for braving Mumsnet.

In your opinion, will being part of the EU help the UK to beat the recession, or hinder it?

CheekyLittleSox Thu 16-Sep-10 08:28:24

Also Nick can I maybe suggest you bring in a system that works out the benefit scroungers to the genuine benefit claims.

If a claimant says they have being searching for jobs, the job centre take that as gospel, you no longer have to write down your searches either so claimants can lie and will lie about it.

Since my last reply my husband has found work but he had to beg an agency to take him for full time work even suggest work trial for them. Luckily he has had his induction and should start Monday. He was the last one on the induction because it was full. Yes 5 turned up instead of 10. So claimants on JSA will say to JCP that they have applied but was unsuccessful then the job centre will just say ok thats fine and no more will be saaid but theyl get paid.

Now my question 5 is - sorry if too many questions but I thinks its relevant.

Can the job centre have a system where they look into people interviews and find out how they did and why they didn't get the job - then when the company say 'they were a no show'

The JCP should knock off money for them.

CheekyLittleSox Thu 16-Sep-10 09:14:44

Maybe its me being dumb but why are people asking abouty American France and other countries Nick Clegg is the DPM for UK not USA? So why people asking?

omnishambles Thu 16-Sep-10 09:25:40

Hi Nick - My question is this: why should remain a member of the party when I feel I have been betrayed by the coalition? None of the benefit cuts, not to mention the reorganization of the NHS should be done in my name.

BTW I was in a meeting last week when senior doctors expressed widespread panic at the privitisation by stealth of the NHS and the plans to get rid of PCTs etc - with a 49% quoted skills loss as a result - far more than the 15% widely accepted as an outcome of restructuring. Why does noone seemingly care about this?

kveta Thu 16-Sep-10 09:44:06

/start tangent

speedy - nerozumim, nemluvim polski, jenom (trochu) cesky!! proc mluvite polski? (I don't have much in the way of language skillz )

/end tangent

LadyBlaBlah Thu 16-Sep-10 10:49:19

Today's headline in The Times: "The Poor Must Accept the Cuts" Nick Clegg

How can he explain this remarkable about turn? How can anyone accept anything he says as being truthful?

TheBeast Thu 16-Sep-10 10:57:02

Dear Mr Clegg (I don't feel sufficiently well-disposed to you to call you Nick)

In your role as Deputy Prime Minister, i note from today's Guardian that you support the idea of radical benefit cuts, presumably because you believe the Chancellor's views that there are large numbers of people who make it a lifestyle choice to be on benefits.

Can you please let me know the number of adults who have made this lifestyle choice, where these figures come from and what savings will be made by cutting their benefits?

I think that counts as one question.

Ineedsomesleep Thu 16-Sep-10 11:31:45

Dear Nick

Are you going to close the legal loophole that allows formula companies to advertise Follow-on milk in this country? This would bring the UK more in line with most countries in Europe where all formula advertising is banned.

policywonk Thu 16-Sep-10 11:53:47

Hello Nick,

DFID is recognised globally as being a leader on MNH issues. Would you like to pay tribute to your Labour predecessors for the work they did in this field, particularly in the area of free healthcare for the people who need it most?

CheekyLittleSox

This is from the OP:

"Next week the Deputy PM will be joining other world leaders, celebrities and business leaders who are gathering in New York for the UN Millennium Development Goals (MDG) Summit. He will be aiming for global action to reduce the shocking number of women who die during pregnancy and childbirth in the world's poorest countries.

Nick is happy to answer your questions on the UN summit as well as on his role as Deputy Prime Minster."

He's here primarily because of the UN summit, but will also talk about his UK DPM role.

sincitylover Thu 16-Sep-10 12:45:56

Dear Mr Clegg

Shame on you for penalising the poor in society further whilst not penalising the bankers, tax evaders and fat cats.

I voted LibDem last time mainy due our wonderful MP - Simon Hughes.

I am a middle income earner, in the HE sector and struggle to survive in London as a single parent living in private rental.

My CB, minimal WTC and the small amount of housing benefit I receive are critical.

I despair at the widening gap between rich and poor and have no faith that the coalition has any understanding or true desire to address it.

DuckyDoo Thu 16-Sep-10 13:29:52

I welcome Nick Clegg's announcement and commitment yesterday to doubling the number of lives of women and babies saved through UK aid by 2015, aiming to ensure that at least 50,000 more women and 250,000 babies will survive pregnancy and childbirth and 10 million more couples will get access to family planning. I would like to know what support the UK government is going to pledge to the UN Global Strategy on Women and Children’s Health at next week’s MDG Summit in New York. Thank you.

DuckyDoo Thu 16-Sep-10 13:34:28

How do you rationalise meeting with Pope Ratzinger given your statements at the BOND meeting yesterday regarding your personal belief in the importance of, and the Coalition’s dedication to, maternal health, female empowerment and good sexual health practices? Thank you.

Dear Mr Clegg

Perhaps while discussing pregnancy and childbirth, you could raise the related subject of the ongoing horror of female genital mutilation. According to the website of the charity FORWARD, FGM continues to be inflicted upon approximately 100-140 million African women worldwide, and each year, a further 3 million girls are estimated to be at risk of the practice in Africa alone.

Even more appallingly, this practice is carried out right here in the UK, where an estimated 6,500 girls are at risk of FGM every year.

While the practice is illegal under UK law, no-one has ever been successfully prosecuted for this crime, so among communites where FGM is practiced, this law is no deterrant.

I would like to know where the current government stands on the issue of FGM, how it intends to raise awareness of the issue, how it intends to make sure that no UK citizen ever has this horror inflicted uopon her, and how it intends to raise the issue with other world governments to eliminate FGM worldwide.

edam Thu 16-Sep-10 13:54:11

Cheeky - I just got a phone call from the job centre about someone I interviewed last week, checking that I did exist and had interviewed him. Dh has just, thankfully, found work but while unemployed he had to take evidence of searching for work every time he signed on. Dunno where you get the idea claimants are lying from but it's very unfair.

twocathedrals Thu 16-Sep-10 15:31:47

Women bear and bring up each new generation - in countries with high mortality, particularly high AIDS-related mortality - one generation of women is raising two generations of children. Thinking about the MDGs, how important do you think women's health is? Do you think its importance is reflected in the way the aid budget is spent?

BonzoDooDah Thu 16-Sep-10 15:52:44

Hello Nick

I live in a marginal constituency (Lib/Con) and voted Liberal in the last election rather than vote for (my preferred choice) Labour in an attempt to stop the Tory bastards party getting in and to keep the government more to the left than the right. I didn't mind doing this as your election manifestos and pre-election debates hinted that if a coalition government would be formed it would be with Labour.

What can you say to me and many thousands of other similar voters who feel utterly betrayed by your choice of a Con-Lib Coalition Government? Particularly in the light of the swingeing social cuts this new Government is already implementing. Can you persuade me otherwise in my declaration to never vote for the Liberal Party again as I do not want my tactical vote to be used to justify a support of your new policies and proposed "boundary mongering"?

Lucyannieamy Thu 16-Sep-10 16:34:08

echo duckydoo's question

Nick -this morning you shook the had of the pope, a man who is responsible for enforcing maternal pain and suffering worldwide. what do you hope to achieve at a UN conferenchen when you are willing to smile at a man like that?

Maiakins Thu 16-Sep-10 16:42:09

Hi Nick,

My question is about the impact on the MDGs of the government's plans to securitise the UK aid budget.

I'm really worried about how the MDGs will be achieved if priority is given to projects on the basis of British national security, rather than need. A recent article in the Guardian here warns that the British aid budget is being securitised.

There is also a big fear that although the government said before the election that aid is ringfenced, in actual fact the government plans to shift some of the functions of the Foreign Office and Ministry of Defence into DFID, meaning that less will be available to spend on international development.

Do you think the MDGs can be achieved if aid is spent on protecting Britain's national security, rather than helping the poorest and most vulnerable people?

And ... sorry, even if you were a guest at my house, I would have to politely tell you how disappointed I was that you 'sold out' to the Tories. I've been a lifelong Libdem voter, but never again.

sickofsocalledexperts Thu 16-Sep-10 17:25:59

Could I ask Nick Clegg whether the coalition government is as committed to mainstream inclusion for the education of special needs children as was the previous government? And could I also ask that he look into the education of autistic children in this country, as I think the behavioural methods - which are now standard in the US - are proven to have far more success than the rather wishy washy system which our autistic schools espouse in this country. I think we could do a lot better for our autistic children. Thanks.

Message withdrawn

ruthie48 Thu 16-Sep-10 18:20:49

180,000 qualified nurse retire within 10 yrs.(see nursing times)As there will be a chronic shortage are there any concerns re making nursing degree level?

Q2.I heard Home Secretary say at the TUC conference that frontline staff would not be affected. So why are nurse on wards being asked to re-apply for jobs due to ward closures?

ruthie48 Thu 16-Sep-10 18:25:27

Sorry, meant nurses and meant Police
Conference not TUC!

mamalino Thu 16-Sep-10 18:26:53

Dear Nick

Do you think the public is stupid or something?

Love, mamalino

ivorcombine Thu 16-Sep-10 18:30:29

Hi Nick

The UN announced yesterday that global hunger has reduced from just over a billion people, to just under a billion. As the majority of this near-billion people are children and women, what will the UK be doing at the summit to promote progressive and decisive action on the first MDG, particularly in light of Brazil proving it is possible by reducing child hunger by 73%?

Look forward to your response Nick.

James

herbietea Thu 16-Sep-10 18:33:06

Message withdrawn

This isn't specific to the conference that you are attending, but is pertinent.
As Ruthie48 mentioned, in my NHS trust and my department specifically, many members of staff are being asked to reapply for jobs with three times the workload for the same pay and some people will be made redundant. How will this improve care for women and children if there are fewer experienced and specialist staff left to care for them and those that are left are exhausted and time starved?

Dear Nick, I was so close to voting for you, I only made my final decision once I was in the polling booth, my husband actually did. He is devastated that his vote has been so misrepresented.

I have so many questions, all of which involve the unfair vilification of the poorest and most vulnerable in our society. But I'll stick to just one for now.

VAT has always hit the poor hardest as it is a proportionally higher tax upon the lowest earners. Given this, and the need for encouraging spending, how can you justify the increase in vat?

midwifemuse Thu 16-Sep-10 19:15:56

Hi Mr Clegg
1)As a community midwife, I would like to hear whether you support the gradual withdrawl of home visits by midwives in the postnatal period. This is happening as a direct response to Trusts restricting funding to the maternity services as a time when the demands on them are increasing
2)How will your party ensure that the supposedly ring-fenced monies for the maternity services are truely ring-fenced?

hsg Thu 16-Sep-10 19:23:02

Hi Nick
I don't feel that I can miss this opportunity so I hope that you don't miss an opportunity to address the issues that people are worried about. Cuts are coming - we all know that, they have to be made - we know that to, most of us mums manage a budget on a daily basis and understand that. however, the private sector hasn't recovered enough to support the cuts being proposed in the public sector. Were do the government propose to get the money from when workers are made redundant, I'm not just talking about JSA but housing benefit, council tax benefit, free school meals, tax credits, incapacity benefit, courses to re-train when unemployed, college courses, etc etc etc I, like 100's and 1000's of others only ask you to fight for jobs in this country, if parents (one or both) work then this helps our children grow up knowing what it expected of them in the future.

Q2 - can you please take a closer look at schools - schools are using qualifications such as OCR Nationals and btec firsts which can be equivalent to 2, 3 or 4 GCSE's to get them up the league tables, they are becoming increasingly less and less interested in the welfare of children. Some universities have recently stated that they won't accept these qualifications so what's the point of the schools doing them if the qualification is not going to work for our kids in the future? They 'direct' parents in yr 9 to the qualifications which will get them up the tables rather than allowing students and parents making this decision. Year 11's do not leave school with the ability to write a CV or complete an application form, never mind understand the tax system (not that HMRC do either (sorry couldn't resist the dig)) if this country is to compete at a global level then surely this is where we start. In the school which I work in by the time a student gets to year 11 they have had a grand total of 3 hours of careers education and if they are sick on the day or out of school for whatever reason then it's tough. Fund the education system properly rather than as a token gesture. feel free to come to one of our team meetings in work if you need any more evidence - i'm sure my colleagues have plenty

NickClegg Thu 16-Sep-10 19:23:06

test

Igglybuff Thu 16-Sep-10 19:39:55

Hi Nick

How is it being deputy PM? Previous deputy PMs haven't really (in my opinion) seemed to have a proper portfolio - they've not been true deputies or second in command. What is your role?

3seater Thu 16-Sep-10 19:43:35

I would like to know that answer to the Fawcett question too please

withorwithoutyou Thu 16-Sep-10 19:43:44

tweetymum Thu 16-Sep-10 19:46:01

Dear Nick,

I voted for the Lib Dems at great expense, making sure my vote got to the UK in time etc.

I feel utterly betrayed by the coalition and by you joinung the coalition in the first place. I will be voting for Labour come next election.

Will you ever be able to convince me and the several other disillusioned LD voters that you can ever be trusted to do the right thing?

Nick,

As Deputy PM you must have a 'vision' of the role which you play for the country and what the electorate expect of you (especially your LibDem supporters), what exactly do you feel it is and do you think David Cameron shares the same vision as you?

scottishmummy France Thu 16-Sep-10 19:47:45

was the pursuit of power worth it doesnt your conscience trouble you regards all potential public sector cuts?it should

ederner Thu 16-Sep-10 19:49:15

Dear Mr Clegg.
Can you explain exactly how David Cameron has come to the conclusion that only the poorest families should be able to access essential Sure Start services?
Does he think that problems such as breastfeeding difficulties, Postnatel depresssion, behavioural difficulties, potty training and the need to simply get out the house and see another human being are problems restricted to families on low incomes?
The myth that middle class mums are taking over sure start centres is a myth. Statistics show that the hardest families to engage with are the lower income families. They simply do not want to access services. The liberal democrats promised to keep this service as YOU saw the need that Sure Start filled and how much of a life saver it actually is to those families who access it.
Will this be yet another promise that the lib dems made before the election that will simply be swept under the carpet?
Please dont let us down!

FrameyMcFrame Thu 16-Sep-10 19:50:51

Nick, why do you hate Gordon Brown so much?
Surely you can see that despite all his flaws as a politician he is a principled man who cares deeply about making society fairer, how can you prefer to be best buddies with that Cameron?

Really though Nick, why? Why did you do it?

fridascruffs Thu 16-Sep-10 19:52:07

I do a lot of work with people in the NHS in England and I would like to point out to you that the putting of the entire NHS budget into GP's hands is going to be a disaster. GP practices are private businesses; GPs will become both providers and commissioners and this is a fundamental conflict of interest; they mostly have no skills to run such complex commissioning and financial operations; the postcode lottery will go crazy and principles of equity and fairness from one area to another will be out the window; management costs will multiply because each consortia will be hiring their own commissioing teams, going back to the problems already seen with multiple PCTs prior to 2006; you cannot have increased integration of health care (health records accessible to all relevant health professionals etc) while fragmenting the system- they are in competition which each other now and they have no incentive to co-operate. And as a member of a health charity, I and many colleagues in other organisations have found it very difficult to engage GPs in anything at all. Cameron himself said during the election that there would be no major restructuring of the NHs, that what he believed was needed was a period of consolidation, because this is what people in teh NHS had told him. Elected in- sort of- and the real ideology-driven agenda comes out.
PS I will not vote for AV if the Tories tag on a re-alignment of boundaries in their favour.

FrameyMcFrame Thu 16-Sep-10 19:54:17

Mumsnet HQ, can you tell us, is Nick typing his own answers and reading the whole thread or has he got an assitant picking out questions?
Thanks.

LadyBlaBlah Thu 16-Sep-10 19:55:18

The journey to the States for the MDG would be commendable if your government had not started attacking the women in your own country so blatantly: one of the first policy announcements was to get anonymity for rapists, next came the budget cuts unfairly aimed at women ( you must answer the question about the Fawcett Society and why your govt has simply ignored their challenge), then you have scrapped the enquiry into police handling of rape following (because it is appalling).

So, to date, your government is not showing much interest in women's issues - so the question is why on earth would we take you at your word about anything to do with women's rights?

<and basically anything you say seeing as you see it acceptable to renegade your policies at the flip of a hat>

broodywantcoilout Thu 16-Sep-10 19:59:13

i'd just like 2 say welcome 2 mumsnet webchat (as i havent read many positive/constructive thoughts so far)

broodywantcoilout Thu 16-Sep-10 19:59:46

ah-iwhen i said that i didnt realise the thread was this long, sorry

i am so looking forward to the outakes in the press with some of the nicknames on here grin

Ineedsomesleep Thu 16-Sep-10 20:02:55

Its past 8 by my watch Mr Clegg smile

ShadeofViolet Thu 16-Sep-10 20:03:29

Nick,

Who would you like to win the labour leadership election?

I also hope you respond to SanctiMoanyArse's question as they are ones which I would really like to here the answer to as she has worded them much better than I ever could

tweetymum Thu 16-Sep-10 20:03:34

3 minutes to be precise, except its 1.03 in the afternoon here in Canada

jellylegs Thu 16-Sep-10 20:03:34

Please ask him plans for Child Benefit?is it too much to ask to leave this alone for the majority>

LadyBlaBlah Thu 16-Sep-10 20:03:51

It might be quite hard to chose a question to be fair

omnishambles Thu 16-Sep-10 20:03:55

Lets crack on then...

JustineMumsnet Belgium (MNHQ) Thu 16-Sep-10 20:04:18

Ok so Nick Clegg is with us and ready to go. Over to you DPM.

NickClegg Thu 16-Sep-10 20:05:42

Hello everyone, thanks for having me on Mumsnet this evening. As you know, I’m here to chat today about the MDG Summit at the United Nations next week, and particularly to focus on maternal health in developing countries.
So development is tonight’s theme, but I’ve just read through the thread and seen that there are quite a few posts about the coalition. So, if nobody minds, I thought I'd jot down a few responses first.

I can see that opinion amongst MNers on the new government is pretty mixed. But, I have to say that, for me, the choice now is as clear as it was then: no party won the election, so the only way to give Britain a strong and stable government is if politicians work together. That means a coalition is necessary, and it has to reflect the preferences people expressed at the ballot box.
Coalition is normal in a lot of other countries, but its not something we’re used to here. That said, a lot of people I have met have told me they think it makes sense. They have to work with people very different to them, why shouldn’t politicians as well? In government it means combining the best of our ideas, and I think even we have been surprised at how radical that has allowed us to be. We now have a five year plan that will get the economy back on track and clean up our politics too.
A big priority for us is making sure the UK with others plays its part in helping the world’s poorest, which is what next week’s summit is all about. It’s a scandal that every three seconds a child dies somewhere in the world from causes that could have been prevented. And for millions and millions of women pregnancy carries huge risks. So we’ll be using the Summit to push for an action plan with other countries and partners to tackle the poverty and disease that blight so many societies. I’d love to hear your views on these issues so, please, fire away.

treedelivery Thu 16-Sep-10 20:07:13

Hmmm. Not loving the meconium coloured highlight. Is that Lib Dem yellow with a good blob of tory blue thrown in?

LadyBlaBlah Thu 16-Sep-10 20:07:16

If you want to clean up politics - how about starting with Andy Coulson?

withorwithoutyou Thu 16-Sep-10 20:07:22

Hi Nick,

Given how badly the Lib Dems did in the general election do you really think the coaltion govt does reflect the preferences people expressed at the ballot box?

omnishambles Thu 16-Sep-10 20:08:02

Action plans are all well and good but is the money in place to see it through and stick to our prior commitments?

<sorry thats my second qu after the reorganization of the NHS but it is at least on topic>

broodywantcoilout Thu 16-Sep-10 20:08:20

with so little money floating about at the moment, what can be done to help such an important issue? we often forget how well off we really are

ruthie48 Thu 16-Sep-10 20:08:37

Where is he?

tweetymum Thu 16-Sep-10 20:10:03

Are you braced for a defeat in the next election?

Sorry second question, but had to ask.

nick, i understand the importance of maternal mortality etc, but what about the effect of nhs cuts on uk figures, should we not concentrate on the state of our country and stop our figures rising which is what will happen if proposed nhs funding falls.

FrameyMcFrame Thu 16-Sep-10 20:10:27

But why did you join a coalition with the Tories? Because they had the largest share of the vote? what if the BNP had the largest share of the vote, would you jump in to power sharing with them too?

ederner Thu 16-Sep-10 20:10:27

Mr Clegg,
Have you ever heard the old saying "charity begins at home" ?
Would it not be better to tackle the issue of child poverty in our own country properly before taking on another countrys problems as well?
A scarily high percentage of children are still living below the poverty line and this is expected to get higher once the demolition sorry coalition goverment have made the seemingly endless cuts that they are imposing proposing.
With essential services such as sure start and health services cut will world leaders be meeting in five years to discuss child poverty in this country?

herbietea Thu 16-Sep-10 20:10:29

Message withdrawn

LadyBlaBlah Thu 16-Sep-10 20:10:40

We realise you want to answer questions about maternal mortality rates etc etc, the problem is, which you surely must see in the comments, is that because you have gone back on so much of what you said in the GE campaign, what you now say doesn't matter.

You really need to address why you have changed so many of your policies. Integrity is the overlaying factor in politics, once you have lost yours, people won't trust you.

NickClegg Thu 16-Sep-10 20:10:43

It's all about women's empowerment. Unless women feel more in control of their own lives and crucially how and in what circumstances they give birth we will not be able to tackle v high maternal mortality rates. That's why we are reorganising our entire aid programme to put women at the heart of everything we do on developing countries. We think we will be able to double the number of women and babies saved by UK aid by 2015.

UnePrune

That's a really good question dinkystinky. It's why I asked down the thread what NC is learning - it's such a huge, huge web of poverty, malnutrition, lack of access to hygienic conditions (NB doesn't have to be a hospital), depressing attitudes towards women, random cultural factors, fear

If hygiene is the biggest "saviour" of pregnant women, how do they propose to change global society to ensure that all women have access to a hygienic environment to give birth in? If nutrition is the next biggest factor - well, that's a hard one too. [understatement]

And where does the aftermath of childbirth fit into this? Infection, fistulae, prolapse etc. These can ruin lives.

Verso Thu 16-Sep-10 20:10:56

Very laudable to be supporting the MDG and I obviously some very pressing global health issues being discussed, but what about sorting out the state of maternity care in the UK?

justabit Thu 16-Sep-10 20:11:37

Wouldn't have described the last three pages as a "pretty mixed" reaction. If this is the level of honest reaction we are going to get may as well go and make dinner.

AuntyJ Thu 16-Sep-10 20:12:25

Nick - why do the cuts have to be so quick?? What do you think reaction of grassroots delegates at the party conference will be to the deep cuts in public spending?

CheekyLittleSox Thu 16-Sep-10 20:12:57

so none of mmy questions will be answered then? great

LadyBlaBlah Thu 16-Sep-10 20:14:01

Empowerment. How very 1980s.

Maybe you could get them some poles to dance round or something

midwifemuse Thu 16-Sep-10 20:14:06

Verso - I believe that lip-service alone is paid to the maternity services in this country. Promises are made but rarely funded well enough for them to be fulfilled without detracting from the present services.

champagnesupernova Thu 16-Sep-10 20:14:08

hmm Cheekylittlesox - he's only answered two questions so far.

tinkgirl Thu 16-Sep-10 20:14:36

come on nick - show some backbone and answer some of the questions that us mothers are worried about. don't disappoint me!

omnishambles Thu 16-Sep-10 20:14:53

Its not just about childbirth then - it needs to be about education and choices and birth control - with that in mind - what do you make of the Popes pronouncements on such things?

lililolo Thu 16-Sep-10 20:15:08

Mr Clegg,

I voted Lib Dem in a Tory / Lib Dem marginal to avoid the kind of policies that the government are currently putting in place. How can you justify such an about turn on everything that your party stood for? Don't you think that bankers and business should be paying back the deficit rather than deprived children you promised you would protect?

Thank you.

Hi Nick,

What would you say to voters like me who gave you our vote at the last election and feel kicked in the teeth to see you loved up with Cameron? Do you feel happy that you sold us up the river or are you more happy that you got a foot in the door?

ravenAK Thu 16-Sep-10 20:15:20

Mixed?!!

Can you answer the Fawcett Society question, please?

Eleison Thu 16-Sep-10 20:15:56

You say that "we are reorganising our entire aid programme to put women at the heart of everything we do in developing countries"

But we've also been told that new national security council is requiring that national security considerations are placed at the heart of aid projects.

How can both be true? Exaclty what will be the implications of a securitised development budget for the goal of improving maternal and neonatal health?

champagnesupernova Thu 16-Sep-10 20:15:58

Hello Mr Clegg,
Are you relieved that the decision to renew Trident has been shelved ?

ruthie48 Thu 16-Sep-10 20:16:12

A few NHS questions Nick. I would answer us mum,s?

ShadeofViolet Thu 16-Sep-10 20:16:16

I think that Mr Clegg dismissed most of the questions in his opening sentence 'As you know, I’m here to chat today about the MDG Summit'

Or read - 'I am not replying to any of the other difficult questions because I downt actually have any answers'.

AuntyJ Thu 16-Sep-10 20:16:30

I'm with you on that one cupcake!

herbietea Thu 16-Sep-10 20:16:35

Message withdrawn

ShadeofViolet Thu 16-Sep-10 20:16:57

dont

anastaisia Thu 16-Sep-10 20:16:57

I though this question asked by AnnieLobeseder was good...

"Perhaps while discussing pregnancy and childbirth, you could raise the related subject of the ongoing horror of female genital mutilation. According to the website of the charity FORWARD, FGM continues to be inflicted upon approximately 100-140 million African women worldwide, and each year, a further 3 million girls are estimated to be at risk of the practice in Africa alone.

Even more appallingly, this practice is carried out right here in the UK, where an estimated 6,500 girls are at risk of FGM every year.

While the practice is illegal under UK law, no-one has ever been successfully prosecuted for this crime, so among communites where FGM is practiced, this law is no deterrant.

I would like to know where the current government stands on the issue of FGM, how it intends to raise awareness of the issue, how it intends to make sure that no UK citizen ever has this horror inflicted uopon her, and how it intends to raise the issue with other world governments to eliminate FGM worldwide."

taintedpaint Thu 16-Sep-10 20:16:58

Nick, do you honestly believe the reaction to the coalition in general has been mixed? Virtually every forum it has been discussed in has produced the verdict that the Lib Dems joining forces with the Tories was neither in the interests of your voters or the country in a wider sense. It has clearly been wildly unpopular. Did you really come on MN expecting not to be asked things like this? And how do you feel about your prospects at the next election? hmm

sethstarkaddersmum Thu 16-Sep-10 20:17:08

'That's why we are reorganising our entire aid programme to put women at the heart of everything we do on developing countries.'

That's great Nick, can you think about trying to make women a little bit less marginal in government at home too please?

or to quote my earlier question, why are there so few women in the Cabinet and what are you going to do about it?

3seater Thu 16-Sep-10 20:17:13

Yes, I would echo that. Can you answer the Fawcett Society question, please?

I think you're massively glossing over the posts on this thread, Mr Clegg (welcome back to Mumsnet, by the way),

It's a mixed reaction in the sense that there were positive and negative posts. But there was a lot of anger in many of those posts - and anger because there is also a lot of fear. Fear for people's future, for their homes and for the safety and welfare of their families.

What are you going to do to help people in this country? I think the UN aims are entirely laudable, but it does seem as if these are being highlighted at the expense of people in this country who are, in many cases, really frightened about what this government is doing, and what effect it is going to have on them.

I read that something like 20 out of 24 members of the Cabinet are millionaires, so the next few months/years, whilst going to be difficult for us all (because we're all in it together, aren't we?) are hardly really going to impact on anyone in the upper echelons of Government.

How are you going to help those who are going to lose their jobs, their income, their homes?

mrsden Thu 16-Sep-10 20:17:29

I wouldn't describe reactions to the coalition as mixed. I don't know anyone who thinks the coalition is doing a good job. And everyone I know who voted Lib Dem is disgusted at what has happened, this is not what they voted for. But maybe that's because I work in the public sector and this government has made it very clear that they hate all public sector workers. Nick - when did you realise that you were actually a tory? Was it before or after the election?

Verso Thu 16-Sep-10 20:17:37

Hear, hear, midwifemuse! Totally agree

LadyBlaBlah Thu 16-Sep-10 20:17:37

I didn't know you could dictate what people asked you as an elected politician. Interesting

jellylegs Thu 16-Sep-10 20:18:16

Is he on??His he answering any questions?

NickClegg Thu 16-Sep-10 20:18:24

I really agree with what you say about the fantastic role played by midwives. Even Miriam and I noticed a difference with our children - two of them were born abroad and the third with midwife care on the NHS, and the difference in care and treatment was really striking. As for the US, inevitably the focus of the MDG Summit should remain on the developing world, though of course we shouldn't be sanctimonious in the rich world about our own standards of care. You might be interested to know that in the 1930s Britain'shigh maternal mortality rate was seen as the "great blot on pubic health." In 1935, Stanley Baldwin, as Prime Minister of the last Conservative/Liberal Coalition government established a national midwifery service. This move, coupled with the necessary policies and resources, saw maternal deaths in the UK fall by 80% in just 15 years. The resonance with where we are today is uncanny and only serves to sharpen this government's resolve to seek and equally radical result.

SpeedyGonzalez

Well. I gave birth to my second child the day before the election, but managed to hoik my arse down to the polling station <<polishes badge>> grin. Since then, however, I have had my head firmly in BabyLand so, despite being a lifelong LibDem voter, all this anti-Nick Clegg vitriol has passed me by. Clearly I have a good deal of catching up to do.

Señor Clegg. Eres casado con una Española. Espero que tu hables Español, ¿si? ¡Arriba! grin

This is a long, but hopefully interesting preamble to a very short question.

On the subject of maternal mortality, this is a subject which is very close to my heart. I do hope that Ina May Gaskin will be attending the conference - to my knowledge she is possibly one of the most knowledgeable and experienced of the well-known faces in the field of maternal health. Her birthing centre, which has been operating for 30+ years, has a c-section rate of around 1-2%, which is unrivalled among hospitals just about anywhere in the western world.

Did you know (according to a recent Radio 4 doco) that during WW2 the infant mortality rate fell significantly? This is said to be because so many obstetricians were on the battlefield. Good obstetricians are absolutely vital and their knowledge and experience is invaluable. However. For most women having babies, the best possible care comes from midwife-led units. One of the measures used by this UN summit to evaluate the quality of maternal care is "Proportion of births attended by skilled health personnel". In order to succeed, this MUST refer to midwives FIRST, not obstetricians.

The reason for me detailing all of this is that it seems ironic to me that this conference is being hosted in the USA. Their maternal mortality rate is appallingly low - according to the WHO they rank around 42nd in the WORLD for deaths in labour - in fact, they have remained at this position for many years. Indeed, the only woman I've ever known to die in childbirth was in the US. Bearing in mind that, according to Gaskin, US hospitals do not keep accurate records of maternal and infant mortality. So, since their position of 42nd is based on the deaths that they do record it's likely that their ranking is actually worse than that.

The USA has a heavily obstetrician-based approach to maternal care, and it's all driven by money. Women with health insurance get shoved onto the conveyor belt of intervention so that (a) they spend lots of lovely money for the insurance companies to pay up; (b) medics can measure everything to the nth degree in order to avoid the possibility of lawsuits. As for poor women in the US, they have an excessively high C-section rate and are frequently sent home far too early after this major surgery. Why? Because that's the cheapest way to get their babies out. No surprise, then, that women and babies are more likely to die in the USA than in Europe.

So the scope of this conference should include the USA as a place where maternal (and infant) health desperately needs attention. Contrary to the summit paraphernalia (from their website) it is not just a problem affecting developing countries.

Nick, are you brave enough to raise this issue at the conference?

My sources are the following books, written by American women:

Naomi Wolf 'Misconceptions' (source of information about how insured and uninsured women are treated)

'Ina May Gaskin's Guide To Childbirth' (includes details on the history of how the field of obstetrics changed in the US in the 1980s, to the detriment of pregnant women).

I can lend you my copies if your assistants can't get hold of them wink.

scaredoflove Thu 16-Sep-10 20:18:26

How about staying in the uk and looking at how to sort to out disabled childrens services?

omnishambles Thu 16-Sep-10 20:19:02

Oh god yes please answer the female genital mutilation question - the fact that it is happening both here and abroad is absolutely sickening.

PeterLH Thu 16-Sep-10 20:20:07

Nick
What are the Government plans for the School Food Trust? Who will safeguard food & drink policies in schools if the Trust is removed?

AuntyJ Thu 16-Sep-10 20:20:32

It does state tin the OP that he is also here to answer questions about his role as Deputy PM.

LadyBlaBlah Thu 16-Sep-10 20:20:40

Hilarious

taintedpaint Thu 16-Sep-10 20:21:04

Nick can't seriously think he's going to come off well from tonight if the issues important to us are ignored can he?

LadyBlaBlah Thu 16-Sep-10 20:21:41

Fawcett Society question please

Or Andy Coulson (cleaning up politics)

Dear Mr Clegg

It's all very well and good focusing on maternal health in developing countries but when the "radical plans" of the coalition result in ward staff reapplying for their posts in this one (see above) something stinks....

So my questions is what is the MDG summit actually going to cost (the airfares, hotels, policing for dignitories, hangers on etc etc) and how much do you honestly think it will change things in the real world? Would the money not be better taken from all those who would have participated and the same targets agreed by other less costly (as is the case currently in the public sector)methods?

Is this not just as case of those in power needing to be seen to be doing something, without actually really doing anything....

arses Thu 16-Sep-10 20:21:48

I think the maternal mortality coalition plan is A Good Thing, or at least would be, if it weren't being discussed in a climate where most of us are genuinely worried about the impending spending review and what it might mean.

To paraphrase Philip Larkin, their life may be the harder course I see, but on the other hand, mine is happening to me.

It's very difficult to discuss this issue with you Nick, as important as it is, when afraid that public services will be decimated and the poor in our society cast aside in favour of benefits for the more well-off.

I am surprised you did not expect these questions, and will be even more surprised if you do not answer them..

tweetymum Thu 16-Sep-10 20:22:22

Have you got anything to say on immigration? Surely yours and the Conservative approach is vastly different in this regard, and I cannot believe you are going along with their plans for this emotive issue.

As an immigrant to the UK (who has now left, as the hate getting too much for us to handle), this has been an issue my husband and I have battled with all our time in the UK. Shame no one else seems to care.

UnePrune Thu 16-Sep-10 20:22:39

It was not only establishing a midwifery service that meant a decline in maternal death rate: improved nutrition, generation upon generation, since at least the late 19th century, played a big part too.

Doobydoo Thu 16-Sep-10 20:22:40

2 of my children were born in uk and 1 in republic of Ireland 3 and abit years ago.The Irish experience was so much better.I am a Paediatric nurse and work with Neonates and I know what a tough job it is for nurses and midwives..ie not enough.Also please answer question regarding Pope and Catholicicm regarding Choice for womenhmm also what happens to women and children when baby and mum get through labour there is still poverty and deprivation?

Well, he's obviously doesn't want to answer the questions related to the role of the DPM unless they sufficiently fluffy. It's just all TOO DIFFICULT.

Maiakins Thu 16-Sep-10 20:23:04

Although it would be great if women were at the heart of everything DFID were to do over the next 5 years, that does not seem to match up with the current government's intention to securitise aid.

Women and children are going to be the first groups to suffer when priority is put on aid projects that are in Britain's national security interest. Don't you think?

pollycazalet Thu 16-Sep-10 20:23:06

How does it make you feel for your level of support to be 20 percentage points higher among Conservative supporters than it is among Lib Dems Mr Clegg?

ginghamgiraffe Thu 16-Sep-10 20:23:07

Nick: what have you done or indeed stopped the Tories from doing so far that would justify the coalition?

gothicmama Thu 16-Sep-10 20:23:26

If we are to consider empowering women to feel more in control of their lives perhaps as well as tackling high maternity morbidity we should also consider empowering women to feel safe and not to have to live with th fear of rape or domestice violence as well as poor hygiene and poor diet and poor education. Perhaps part of the development should involve a change in the male viewpoint of women, who are seen as being sexually available etc. for example the myth perpetuated that sex with a virgin cures HIV.

midwifemuse Thu 16-Sep-10 20:23:35

I hate to tell you this Mr Clegg but I can assure you that the care you and Mrs Clegg received from the midwives would have been quite different to the care new Mummy, not high profile would have received. We provide the best care we can but compare it, especially postnatally, to 5 years ago and it is HUGELY reduced.

tinkgirl Thu 16-Sep-10 20:23:55

please spare some time tonight to talk about the other issues which mums are worried about i.e. the current job situation in this country, cuts in services and personnally I'd like to hear your thoughts on education and the state of our schools

Beautifully phrased, arses.

Ineedsomesleep Thu 16-Sep-10 20:25:02

Will you be coming back to answer our questions on the other topics then?

expatinscotland Thu 16-Sep-10 20:25:13

I think he's been scared off. You nest of vipers.

Verso Thu 16-Sep-10 20:25:34

lol @ expat

AdoraBelleDearhart Thu 16-Sep-10 20:25:34

I have deleted 3 Q's as none of the q's about things that are important to us have been answered.
I am all for helping third world contries but not at the expense of the people you have promised to protect.

do you really need to go to a summit to discuss this and spend silly money which could have been ploughed into education of the problems in developing countries, when a memo to all concerned with a severe "thou must do better" would probably have about the same effect! what exactly are you hoping to come away from the summit having achieved?

Airlie Thu 16-Sep-10 20:25:48

Hi Nick
I'm not a regular on here but your chat has lured me over.
As a parent who blogs and uses Twitter avidly, how do you propose to raise awareness of issues relevant to us using social media including the MDG Summit?

NickClegg Thu 16-Sep-10 20:26:07

AuntyJ

Nick - why do the cuts have to be so quick?? What do you think reaction of grassroots delegates at the party conference will be to the deep cuts in public spending?

Lots of you have said you're either unhappy or angry about the Coalition Government itself, or worried/anxious about what we're planning to do to deal with the deficit.
The crucial thing to remember about coalition politics is simply that it happens when voters say they don't want any single party to govern on their own. As a matter of principle, I don't think there's anything wrong with politicians of different parties working together in the national interest. Of course that offends people who feel really tribal about their politics, but I'm not sure if dog-eat-dog tribalism has produced good Government in the past.

As for the deficit, I wish there was a get out of jail free option. There isn't. We have the largest peacetime deficit in UK history. It's simply not fair to saddle our children with this generation's debt. There's nothing fair about spending billions and billions of pounds on debt interest which could be used for schools and hospitals instead. You can't create jobs in the long run on the sands of debt. I realise that some people think that Labour would have pursued a pain-free alternative: the truth is they were planning about four-fifths of the cuts in unprotected departments that this Government is planning, and they had announced 44 billion pounds of cuts without spelling out where they would fall.
This is not easy, not at all. But we're trying to do it over the next five years as fairly as possible, which is why we've introduced measures to lift 900,000 low paid workers out of income tax altogether, and new guarantees to pensioners.

NickClegg Thu 16-Sep-10 20:26:18

LadyBlaBlah

Today's headline in The Times: "The Poor Must Accept the Cuts" Nick Clegg

How can he explain this remarkable about turn? How can anyone accept anything he says as being truthful?

I hope you'll have a look at the article, not the headline which was v misleading. The point I made in my article - something Liberal Democrats have been arguing for years - is that we should be increasing incentives to work and reducing the patterns of long term benefit dependency. That's why we made a big start in raising the income tax personal allowance by 1000 pounds in the budget so that people on low pay pay much less tax. And that's why we're going to reform welfare in a way which of course supports the vulnerable, but does so in a way which encourages people into work. This will take many years, and it's complicated. A bit like our deficit reduction plan, I think too many people think these changes are going to happen overnight. They won't - instead we've tried to be upfront with people early on about what we're going to do over the coming five years.

arses Thu 16-Sep-10 20:26:23

I don't think that simply responding to the breadth and extent of criticism of the coalition on this thread by saying that some people think it is a good thing for people who have different views to eachother to work together really counts as engagement with those views.

blinder Thu 16-Sep-10 20:26:55

Mr Clegg, what do you intend to do to make good on your election promise to make the banks pay for their part in the recession. So far, it seems that the poorest are being asked to foot the bill again. Isn't this a betrayal of your liberal values and of those who voted for you?

ruthie48 Thu 16-Sep-10 20:27:04

Well I,m not likely to get my question answered about Nurses retiring (180,000) over ten years. Still I have just clocked 30 yrs long service! Only 9 to go!P.S I adore my NHS xThe very best and ifI could afford time off work I would work voluntarily in Third World.

FrameyMcFrame Thu 16-Sep-10 20:27:15

Is it just me, or has he not answered very many questions? 2 in 26 minutes?

UnePrune Thu 16-Sep-10 20:27:19

Well, this is going well, isn't it?

ginghamgiraffe Thu 16-Sep-10 20:23:07
Nick: what have you done or indeed stopped the Tories from doing so far that would justify the coalition?

Good question, ginghamgiraffe

I feel I can answer this for Nick quite accurately; bugger all.

FrameyMcFrame Thu 16-Sep-10 20:27:31

Is it just me, or has he not answered very many questions? 2 in 26 minutes?

NickClegg Thu 16-Sep-10 20:27:49

mrsden

I wouldn't describe reactions to the coalition as mixed. I don't know anyone who thinks the coalition is doing a good job. And everyone I know who voted Lib Dem is disgusted at what has happened, this is not what they voted for. But maybe that's because I work in the public sector and this government has made it very clear that they hate all public sector workers. Nick - when did you realise that you were actually a tory? Was it before or after the election?

I was asked this question hundreds of times during the election and I always gave the same answer. The party that won the most amount of votes in the event of a hung parliament had the moral right to be the first to seek a government. That was the Conservatives and that is exactly what they did.

We formed a Coalition with them but that doesn't make anyone in the Liberal Democrats a Tory. We're a distinct political party with distinct policies. I hope you see lots of them in the Programme for Government - 900,000 people out of paying tax; the Green Deal; a guaranteed income for pensioners; a fairer politics; a banking levy. The list is long and it will grow over the next five years. For the first time in 70 years if you voted Lib Dem at an election, you get Lib Dem policies in Government.

NickClegg Thu 16-Sep-10 20:28:24

Kveta, I’m delighted that you’ve received great support for breastfeeding in your local area. You and others have picked up on the importance of breastfeeding for mothers and babies both in the UK and particularly in developing countries. Evidence shows that Support to breastfeeding in developing countries would reduce infant deaths by more than 10%. UK development policy and programmes completely recognise the importance of immediate and exclusive breastfeeding for mothers. The UK supports the World Health Organisation’s (WHO) International Code of Marketing of Breast Milk Substitutes

kveta

I voted LibDem and will again. As Vesela (quick aside - ahoj veselo, jak se mas? ) says, the libdems did what they said they'd do - I don't agree with all that they have compromised on, but don't expect them to be able to please everyone - how could they?

My question is a bit crap and not quite on topic, but here goes:

I've been really impressed with the breastfeeding support in my local area (Hertfordshire), but am aware that such resources are not available throughout the UK. given that breastfeeding is supposed to be the best way to feed a baby, and that many thrid world countries supposedly follow the example of the western world, and thus see formula feeding as a desirable option (hence high child mortality rates through contaminated water, malnutrition, etc etc), will there be a greater emphasis on breastfeeding support in the UK to try and normalise it as a feeding method here and elsewhere?

NickClegg "I think too many people think these changes are going to happen overnight."

Some changes are happening pretty much overnight though, Nick. hmm

policywonk Thu 16-Sep-10 20:29:32

I wouldn't say questions relating to maternal mortality in developing countries are 'fluffy'. It's rather depressing that so many want only to talk about domestic issues. Nobody, but nobody, in this country - before or after the comprehensive spending review - is going to be having it as hard as the average woman in Sierra Leone. Plenty of hard questions to be asked about development policy.

nottirednow Thu 16-Sep-10 20:29:34

Message withdrawn

MrsDrOwenHunt Thu 16-Sep-10 20:29:55

er where is nick clegg arent we all answering our own questions?

UnePrune Thu 16-Sep-10 20:30:19

Yes we know all that confused re breastfeeding, the WHO, breastmilk substitutes etc
We talk about little else on bits of Mumsnet. Truly.

anastaisia Thu 16-Sep-10 20:30:21

"The UK supports the World Health Organisation’s (WHO) International Code of Marketing of Breast Milk Substitutes"

What will the UK do to encourage companies to follow it?

sazlocks Thu 16-Sep-10 20:31:45

Hear hear re the importance of breastfeeding and local suppport. The bottom line about successful initiation of breastfeeding is often hours of midwife/health visitor/peer supporter support for new mothers - all of which is massively under threat with the proposed NHS cuts - how are you going to ensure these vital public health priorities continue to be supported ?

LadyBlaBlah Thu 16-Sep-10 20:31:52

You seem to think it is the fact that it is a coalition government that is the problem. THe problem is that you have turned into a Tory

What is the difference between you and a Tory?

And how do you distinguish between someone who is on the dole because they have had a rubbish education and there are no jobs for them, and someone who has this 'lifestyle' that Georgie so often talks about?

It seems to apply a broad brush to all.

<LOL @ "as a matter of principle" and "being upfront">

ShirleyKnot Thu 16-Sep-10 20:31:54

"The crucial thing to remember about coalition politics is simply that it happens when voters say they don't want any single party to govern on their own. As a matter of principle, I don't think there's anything wrong with politicians of different parties working together in the national interest. Of course that offends people who feel really tribal about their politics, but I'm not sure if dog-eat-dog tribalism has produced good Government in the past."

Oh Lord.

The National Interest is not being served Mr Clegg. The vast majority of us who voted Lib Dem in the last election were hoping for some kind of progression, not regression.
It's all been so terribly disappointing and I'm actually sad that your party have shot yourselves in the foot this way.

I believe a rainbow coalition, or even a hung parliament which led to another general election would have garnered the LibDems so much more power and respect without this utter loss of principle.

Gordon's typing was much faster.

ruthie48 Thu 16-Sep-10 20:32:18

We won,t have any midwives left in this country at the rate of expected retirement,s and of course making nursing Degree level!!

MoralDefective Thu 16-Sep-10 20:32:36

ShadeofViolet Thu 16-Sep-10 20:33:16

'Gordon's typing was much faster.'

He didnt have to check all his answers with DC though wink

tinkgirl Thu 16-Sep-10 20:33:39

please please answer or at the very least promised to look into the education related questions. school are doing qualifications which universities are not accepting - what's the point??? Colleges half the value of btec first's i.e. they should be equivalent to 4 GCSE's but colleges only accept them as 2 GCSE's because they are not enough of a foundation to do a higher level course. why is the government spending millions on this???

NickClegg Thu 16-Sep-10 20:33:45

arses

I think the maternal mortality coalition plan is A Good Thing, or at least would be, if it weren't being discussed in a climate where most of us are genuinely worried about the impending spending review and what it might mean.

To paraphrase Philip Larkin, their life may be the harder course I see, but on the other hand, mine is happening to me.

It's very difficult to discuss this issue with you Nick, as important as it is, when afraid that public services will be decimated and the poor in our society cast aside in favour of benefits for the more well-off.

I am surprised you did not expect these questions, and will be even more surprised if you do not answer them..

Of course I realise that people feel v v anxious about the Comprehensive Spending Round, not least because there's so much uncertainty about before the announcements are finally made. Nor do I want to disguise the difficulties we face - difficulties, incidentally, which any Government of any composition would face.
But I think it's worth putting some of this into perspective: after the Spending Round, we'll still be spending around 700 billion pounds of public money per year, more in cash terms than we do now; we'll be spending almost exactly what Labour did for most of their years in office; and the proportion of public spending as a % of our national wealth will still be over 40%. Judging by some of the deliberate scaremongering in parts of the press and from political opponents, you'd be forgiven for thinking that we're turning the clock back to the 1930s. It's complete nonsense - we're simply trying to reduce our deficit over a five year period so that we can get the economy going, keep interest rates low, create jobs, and spend money on public services rather than on the country's debt interest. It's not easy, but I genuinely think in the long run it's the only responsible thing to do.

Honeydragon Thu 16-Sep-10 20:34:06

missbeehiving

I had to physically sit on my hands to stop myself typing the gorden comment .... thanks. Glad you did it smile

"I wouldn't say questions relating to maternal mortality in developing countries are 'fluffy'." Indeed not, Policy.

Nevertheless, there are a lot of very worried, frightened people here who are, by necessity, focussing on themselves and their own lives.

And who can blame them?

Coca Thu 16-Sep-10 20:34:35

PMSL Shade of V

Very well put, ShirleyKnot

If I'd wanted to be dragged kicking and screaming back into Thatcherism, I'd have voted Cameron. Turns out I and many of my friends and family voted Clegg and got dragged back to Thatcherism anyway...

ruthie48 Thu 16-Sep-10 20:34:46

Here here!!

Verso Thu 16-Sep-10 20:34:57

sooo tempted to type a biscuit at this point >sits on hands<

all4u Thu 16-Sep-10 20:35:10

I am disappointed with the level and ill-nature of the majority of posts ao far! Come to think of it is this why so few women will even consider going into politics these days? Ignorance and ill-manners are what we strive as devoted Mums to dissuade our offspring from (DS this evening...) so hey what about a more constructive approach here?

I for one think that it is a very good thing that recent PMs have young children and are active parents (though obviously the job of PM must restrict that). They have the perspective and they are - from all the main parties mind - trying to do their best. We live in complicated times and there are few 'right' or even 'simple' answers.

My Q for NC: For you personally what one thing would you most want to have achieved by the time the current 'alliance' ends? I do not mean for the party but in terms of legislation/something effected that will impact our lives (and if it is PR that and what is the next thing?)

Best wishes too - rather you than me!

all4u

LadyBlaBlah Thu 16-Sep-10 20:35:44

PolicyW - might I clarify that I am very interested in issues in global maternal mortality. The problem is accepting answers about this from someone who appears to have very little integrity.

The pure irony of it all (altruistic visit to help 'the poor women' while cutting off lifelines for women in home country) is just too much

pollycazalet Thu 16-Sep-10 20:35:47

Nick supports breastfeeding and thinks midwives are great.

Well knock me down with a feather.

Platitude central here.

midwifemuse Thu 16-Sep-10 20:36:05

ruthie48 - Midwives became midwives to be 'with woman'. Instead of that we are rapidly becoming 'with pen and paper', retirement is a threat but so is the bureaucracy.

NickClegg Thu 16-Sep-10 20:36:25

champagnesupernova

Hello Mr Clegg,
Are you relieved that the decision to renew Trident has been shelved ?

I know a few people have asked about Trident. It's a thing that we openly disagree with the Conservatives about. I hope people find that refreshing about the Coalition - we're from different parties and we have separate ideas about things like Trident, and we reflected that openly in our Coalition Agreement.

I've always said that a nuclear deterrent system designed in the 1960s to flatten Moscow at the touch of a button was not necessarily the only option in today's world. The threats we face are very different. And with the public finances left in a mess by Labour, I think it's worth exploring alternative systems. That is why the Liberal Democrats will continue to champion alternatives to the system, even as the Government as a whole is committed to renewal subject to a value for money review of the whole system.

FrameyMcFrame Thu 16-Sep-10 20:36:35

lol missbeehiving grin

tweetymum Thu 16-Sep-10 20:36:48

I miss Gordon Brown so much. For all his faults he was a moral man, who cared for the poor. Perhaps that is the reason he was hated by the Conservatives.

BobLoblaw Thu 16-Sep-10 20:37:04
tinkgirl Thu 16-Sep-10 20:37:14

questions on education......

taintedpaint Thu 16-Sep-10 20:37:44

Yes polly, anyone would think ol' Nick has been reading up on MN wouldn't they?! grin hmm

UnePrune Thu 16-Sep-10 20:37:45

THis is a waste of time. I'm off to watch Jon Stewart.

FrameyMcFrame Thu 16-Sep-10 20:38:19

Gordon, if you or Sarah are looking in, we miss you! Come back for a chat!

twocathedrals Thu 16-Sep-10 20:38:31

I agree with policywonk. I'd like to know, as a matter of practicalities, what the UK will actually be funding in, for example, Sierra Leone and how that will be focused on supporting women's health.

Amapoleon Thu 16-Sep-10 20:38:54

I think he may have gone to have a cup of tea and a biscuit. What is your favourite biscuit Nick? wink

LeninGrad Thu 16-Sep-10 20:39:06

What will your focus at the conference be Nick? What do you think the single most effective thing is that could be done to improve MNH in poorer countries? Where will you start?

all4u Thu 16-Sep-10 20:39:11

Hey I voted Lib Dem and think that they have been quite right to go into coalition - politics is not black and white, times are particularly 'interesting' and I suspect that David Cameron is relieved to be far freer to do what his instincts tell him to do in coalition as it effectively keeps the Tory backwoodsman off his back (who dear Mumsnetters we all want to keep out of actual governing). Personally I wuold opt for the PM to have young/school age children living at home as a requirement of the job!

CheekyLittleSox Thu 16-Sep-10 20:39:22

if the way the couhntry carries on i say bring back gordon brown.

ShirleyKnot Thu 16-Sep-10 20:39:22

I come from Good Welsh Mining Stock.

You know the sort that voted Labour all of their lives?

I was "lucky" enough to have been born in the South East and to have lived my life in London, getting a job in the City of London was easy and my section of our family prospered.

The rest of my family remain in S.Wales. In a poor ex-mining area.

At the time of the general election, I asked my family how they had voted, they all said that they had voted LibDem. They and my small family in London were ready to give something new a try.

Who knew that we and they had signed our own debt warrant?

Who knew?

taintedpaint Thu 16-Sep-10 20:39:43

Is anyone else thinking about little Zoe and the "I just want Tony Blair to come back" crying fit? grin

LadyBlaBlah Thu 16-Sep-10 20:39:56

Fawcett Society question??

If you answer it, we might be more convinced that you have concern for women

pollycazalet Thu 16-Sep-10 20:40:21

The sheer gall of the DPM who thinks he can come on here, chuck a few crumbs re: action against third world maternal mortality and we'll all think 'ah well, his heart's in the right place'. Answer some of the more difficult questions please Mr Clegg. Like the one about the Fawcett Society.

leavingonajetplane Thu 16-Sep-10 20:40:22

I'm with policywonk.

I get that this is the first chance many people have had to convey to Nick Clegg exactly how angry and disturbed they are by his actions. IMO the anger at him is justified.

But its a shame that the issue that he came on to discuss, which is vital, is also getting overlooked so throughly.

Mr Clegg could you please address Maiakins question regarding your apparently conflicting priorities in overseas development?

AdoraBelleDearhart Thu 16-Sep-10 20:40:23

Amapoleon grin

omnishambles Thu 16-Sep-10 20:40:29

I would like to know what concrete actions we can take about FGM, in this country as a starting point, instead of brushing it under the carpet as a cultural issue. It isnt, its a human rights issue.

MoralDefective Thu 16-Sep-10 20:40:45

Framey....he's picking and choosing his Q/A....SURPRISE....sell out ...remember David Lloyd George?(well,actually i don't,that is,he was before my time)but this guy wants to be up there in government.....just like Lloyd George did.....Blah...can't stick him..wasted vote..will NEVER do it againblush

nottirednow Thu 16-Sep-10 20:41:00

Message withdrawn

3seater Thu 16-Sep-10 20:41:01

Mr. Clegg,
please can you answer the Fawcett Society question??

CheekyLittleSox Thu 16-Sep-10 20:41:13

i come from castleford a very small mining area and if i had voted tories my dad would have disowned me lol just like if iever buy the sun newspaper aswell ;)

Amapoleon - Jammie Dodger natch

ruthie48 Thu 16-Sep-10 20:42:06

Spend money on public services?? So why has my local hospital closed 2 wards and told any nurse above HCA level to re-apply for their jobs?hmm

tinkgirl Thu 16-Sep-10 20:42:06

any response to the education questions???