MN WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus a follow-up question if appropriate, ie once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't be disappointed if your specific question doesn't get answered and do try not to keep posting "What about me?". 4. Do be civil/polite. See guidelines in full here.

Live webchat with Gok Wan, Mon 19 July, 7.30- 8.30pm

(310 Posts)
OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 14-Jul-10 22:45:07

Oh yes, it's true.
We're delighted that Gok has found some time in his very busy schedule of getting people naked to join us at Mumsnet Towers next Monday.

Fresh from his new series where he styled his first man on this evening's show, he'll be answering Mumsnetter's
questions.

If you can't make it (and we realise there may be a little bit of a bedtime clash) then post your question for Gok in advance here. (no nudity necessary!)
grin
Thanks
MNHQ

Finbar Thu 15-Jul-10 19:51:11

Welcome to Mumsnet Gok

When did you learn to sew? I hate it meself, but love what you do with haberdashery to change outfits.

My DD age 12 loves your show - it's great lesson for her about body confidence, AND not always being seduced by designer labels!!

Help with long body, shortish legs and chunky calves please!
Total nightmare in summer - should I actually be wearing shorts?!! Ditsy skirts make me look squat somehow.

I have no idea how you are going to deal with this tsunami of Gokking requests - good luck!

suewool Thu 15-Jul-10 20:25:22

Dear Gok

I am 5ft 2" and suffer from cankles and fat ankles and i cant wear dresses or skirts, What do you suggest? I am fed up with trousers!!

grapeandlemon Thu 15-Jul-10 20:49:51

Hey Gok,

Lovin your work smile Pleeeease help me

What is the beat way to deal with long body short chunky legs scenario? I also have a really large hip bone structure and would like to look more long in the leg. I am 5 10' size 10 so quite long and lanky but just don't know what to do esp in summer months as I have to be super careful with dresses and skirts. Help me get out of my black leggings.
Fang kew

x

belledechocolatefluffybunny Thu 15-Jul-10 20:53:27

Sue, if you have the right bra on noone will be looking at your ankles wink

devilsadvocaat Thu 15-Jul-10 20:59:33

dear gok,

please will you squeeze my bangers?

tia

devilsadvocaat

devilsadvocaat Thu 15-Jul-10 21:04:14

ps - i cannot find any jeans that will contain my love handles hips. i only wear skirts. i am 5ft 8" size 12/14 pear shape with fat muscley legs but i do have a small waist. if i wear trousers i spend my whole day hoiking them up (if that is even a word). belts do not solve this problem. am i destined to live in skirts forever?

devilsadvocaat Thu 15-Jul-10 21:05:32

pps - do you ever have a day where you don't feel good about yourself? how do you make yourself feel better?

laughalot Thu 15-Jul-10 21:05:49

Gok gok the man of my dreams !!!!!! What tops should I look for with my size 38f boobies grin ?

Love ya xxx

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 15-Jul-10 21:30:10

I heart Gok

<<Piste melts>>

Hassled Thu 15-Jul-10 21:42:19

Gok - please give me ALL of your top belly covering tips that don't just serve to make one look pregnant.

I'm pretty slim - size 10 - but short and with the mother of all bellies (4 large babies, a fondness for wine). Please don't say sit ups - I need effective camouflage. I tried a drawstring at the waist dress recently and that actually worked better than I'd have thought - what else is there?

NomDePlume Thu 15-Jul-10 21:58:18

Fab. Perfect timing.

Gok, I have a formal wear quandry....

Very formal Black Tie Masked Ball @ The Dorchester in Sept.

I'm 28
5' 7"
Size 10-12
Legs good
Bum ok
Booby (32F)
Chin length hair
Brunette with dark eyes
Medium skin tone

I have a small tattoo (50p sized) at the top of my arm so would prefer something with sleeves (cap sleeved fine).

I suit jewel colours.

Budget about £120-£150, £200 if I need shoes.

Come on Gok, come to my rescue.

Goober Thu 15-Jul-10 22:05:25

Dear God,

Please help me, for I feel wrong with all clothes.

I am 5ft 10, with big (size 8) feet, size 12-14 and small bust (36*AA*). My arms are too long for standard length sleeves and legs are too long for standard trouser lengths.

I have a nice neck.... that is the best bit of me, everything else needs hiding.

My hair is short and I have pale skin.

And I love you, sir.

Mwahh!

DrNortherner Thu 15-Jul-10 22:14:17

Gok, Gok, Gok. My lovely friend is hoping to stage a GOK style fashion show next year to rasie money for a wonder charity (local folk donate clothes and people GOK them and put them on the catwalk) would you be able to help/assist/endorse the event in anyway?!

We all love you Gok!!

childrenknowyourlimits Thu 15-Jul-10 22:27:16

How exciting!! My friends & I were only talking about Gok yesterday and how brilliant it would be if he could come visit us! This is the next best thing.

I seem to have the opposite problem to a lot of people in that I have absolutely no boobs at all!(32AA) It makes me feel not very grown up even though I have 2 kids. I struggle to find lovely underwear that fits properly without gaping and doesn't look as though it has a mattress stuffed down it. I was v offended when the lady in M&S told me to look in the teenage section! Not good for the self esteem! Also, can you suggest any tops that would look great?

Love you Gok! Won't have any internet access on Monday as away visiting rellies in the sticks so will post my q now in the hope that you can work a miracle help me out.

Am 5ft6 roughly size 16, sort of pear shaped, small to medium busooms, but no obvious waist, flabbyish upper arms, flabby post-baby belly and not good legs (short and shapeless)..apart from that I look great...ha ha ha!

Please do you have any suggestions on good purchases for 'work to evening' wear. Haven't the money to buy a large going out wardrobe but don't want to dress like a frump. Am 32 so still want to cling onto my youth for grim death dress reasonably fashionably.

Thanks so much in anticipation.

BrightLightBrightLight Thu 15-Jul-10 23:06:18

i was going to attempt not to gush.. but i can't.. I think you are truly fabulous and an inspiration and cannot tell you how much i admire what you've done and what you continue to do for women and girls and their self esteem.

Now.. i'm another big girl.. i have size 22/24 waist, and 40G boobs and a mummy tummy i can't shift and i'm 5'4 and have an hourglass figure, but i'm quite broad shouldered with it.. (but i must say your underwear range does wonders)

What sort of shapes and styles should i be going for to flatter my figure?

Also.. how do you feel about the high-street being so limiting for the bigger sized girls? I find these days i buy most of my stuff from Asda or Evans and its so boring!!

solo Fri 16-Jul-10 00:25:09

Oh My God Oh My God Oh My God!!!!!!!!

Oh. My. God! I missed the first new one? shock <passes clean out>

chocolatefroggie Fri 16-Jul-10 00:38:45

Gok oh Gok I do think your show is fantastic and I am in desperate need of your help smile! before having dd I was 23 a student and size 6/8 now I am 26 a stay at home mum and size 10/12. I have 2 wardrobes full of clothes and more denim than a line dancing convention, all in different sizes. I still have nothing to wear tho' because I'm such a different shape than before and quite frankly I feel old, fat and frumpy but I can't wear the sort of things I wore before baby and am a loss as to what to wear now so I just keep buying! Aaargh help me pleease before my unwearable wardrobe takes over the entire house and I take to wearing stripey kaftans confused
Thankyou

chocolatefroggie Fri 16-Jul-10 00:44:54

Oh I forgot to say I have soo many jeans because I have a big bottom and a small waist (comparitavely) so it's either flies not quite done up and muffin top or masses of fabric belts and a builders bum! help help help smile

corblimeymadam Fri 16-Jul-10 09:10:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RuthieCohen Fri 16-Jul-10 09:50:50

Gok, do you feel that the man with image confidence issues was really helped by you ridiculing his hairstyle and bullying him into cutting it?

You said something like "if you don't do this my way then we're finished here"

Very 'empowering' hmm

LaaLaa11 Fri 16-Jul-10 10:24:55

Gok....help.

I am 5ft 3" size 14, with 36F boobs, and a wobbly tummy since I had my little girl last year. I really have no idea what suits me anymore, and the fashion is all for stick insects. I need practical but fun and fashionable clothes. My husband says I am beautiful and that he fancies me more than before, but I just don't believe him. I think I look short and stubby, and out of proportion. I have no idea what to do with my hair, as my daughter pulls on it all the time, so I generally wear it back, and that just makes me look tired.

At a loss.

;0(

Dommy Fri 16-Jul-10 10:43:28

Hello Gok how're you? Just wondered if you ever just shove on a T and tracy bottoms to go to the corner shop, or does that never happen? Love the show BTW! Thanks DH London

Bernice74 Fri 16-Jul-10 10:51:25

Hi Gok. How did you start out in the fashion business, and what led you to the TV shows (which are fab btw?

charlady Fri 16-Jul-10 13:33:02

I do watch your programmes when I get the chance, as do my friends. Talking with one of them the other day, what we'd really like to see is one on mothers of young children, who are trying to rediscover their own identity and come to terms with how they now look. We used to be fairly smart professional women, but now simply don't recognise ourselves!

TBF, wouldn't really need to be parents - anyone who's had a bit of a bodily and/or lifestyle change and is trying to sort themselves out afterwards would do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now