Sinister Easter bonnet?

(193 Posts)
docket Mon 29-Mar-10 07:56:46

Ds1 loves foxes. So I thought it would be fun to make a bonnet with a fox chasing some chicks. the finished article looks a bit scary and having viewed some hats online I am wondering if this is in fact completely inappropriate. He is in reception so this is my first brush with bonneting. Am I worrying over nothing?

That is BRILLIANT. I love it. Can you make me one!? grin

I think it's great. It does add a sort of cynical twist to easter, but it's, I suppose, about life and death and this also includes a nature element... I think send it in. I don't think children will think it's that scary. What does DS think of it? If he likes it, I say send it in with him. If he's freaked out a bit, keep it for posterity and make another, more generic hat with eggs and fluffy chicks, showing the circle of life without being terrified

docket Mon 29-Mar-10 10:25:29

I have to confess most of the execution was down to DH who is much better at this sort of thing than me. Used a toy builder helmet and stuck everything on top

cocolepew Mon 29-Mar-10 10:26:39

OMG that's even better than I imagined, that's so funny.

docket Mon 29-Mar-10 10:27:01

DS loves it. I guess that's the main thing anyway

sherby Mon 29-Mar-10 10:30:00

OMFG

That is terrifying

and hilarious

giddly Mon 29-Mar-10 10:32:24

If you wanted to make it a bit less terrifying maybe you could take the chicks off and put some flowers / plants on the front so you just had the fox peering through the undergrowth. I think it's great as it is though.

midnightexpress Mon 29-Mar-10 10:38:26

That is fantastic and brilliantly inappropriate! I love it, but if you decide aginst it come round and I can give you some lessons in speed bonneting. I can do 0-bonnet in about 2.5 mins now.

BariatricObama Mon 29-Mar-10 10:40:26

that is fantatisc. i have never actually seen an easter bonnet in my life so that will be the gold standard. from this day forth i shall judge all easter bonnets against yours.

Dollytwat Mon 29-Mar-10 10:40:37

that's the best bonnet I've ever seen, you are a genius

ninah Mon 29-Mar-10 10:40:52

NO to censorship! it's fab, leave it
it deserves a prize

LorraineSattell Mon 29-Mar-10 10:41:53

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

the chicks are cowering.

I am cowering. that is hilarious. what does ds think?

Thank you SO much for cheering me up. That is abolutely brilliant!!!

piprabbit Mon 29-Mar-10 10:44:13

I am going to wait for a thread on AIBU called ' AIBU to be upset that a boy at PFBs school was wearing a hat showing baby chicks being slaughtered'.
Would love to see the responses to that one.

I've just gone back for a second look. Yup! I still love it!!!!

Fennel Mon 29-Mar-10 10:45:51

My dds are expert in producing sininster Easter bonnets. A couple of years ago, dd1's had, among the chicks and flowers, a crucifix with Jesus hanging there, with a very prominent willy grin. And dd2's had a crucified bunny grin grin.

Disappointingly, neither of these efforts won the competition.

cocolepew Mon 29-Mar-10 10:48:30

Don't change it! It's the funniest thing I've seen in ages.

giddly Mon 29-Mar-10 10:52:13

Can this go on a classic thread with a link to the photo? I think it deserves it. Sets the bar for all future easter bonnets.

piprabbit Mon 29-Mar-10 10:55:36

ROFL @ crucified bunny.

Ledodgy Mon 29-Mar-10 11:01:02

ROFL! grin

savoycabbage Mon 29-Mar-10 11:02:55

It's amazing! The chick on the right looks as if it is about to faint with fear. And you will be able to hire it out for World Book Day for Fantastic Mr Fox and for weddings where the MIL disapproves strongly of the bride.

I bet your ds loves it almost as much as we do and will be as prod as can be of his sinister bonnet.

dillinger Mon 29-Mar-10 11:06:10

That is fab grin

dillinger Mon 29-Mar-10 11:07:01

The chick on the right looking over its shoulder has cracked me up

roar

<<is he taking into school>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now