drug dependant baby, advice needed

(524 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

I've been asked to foster a baby expected to be suffering drug withdrawal when it is born next week.

It is years since I've cared for one of these and any advice would be most gratefully received.

BigRedBall Fri 09-May-14 07:39:35

sad what a sad ending to such a heartwarming thread. RIP EMIN. You wonderful woman.

mamalovesmojitos Fri 25-Apr-14 23:47:46

Oh my goodness. Just read the entire thread. Absolutely humbled. Tears on my cheeks. What a beautiful person you were EMIN. The mark you left on this earth is indelible thanksthanks

ItsNotUnusualToBe Fri 25-Apr-14 22:34:40

thanks

Inspirational. Moving. RIP.

Stewierocks Tue 22-Apr-14 12:17:12

I've just come across this amazing thread today and read start to finish. I am totally in awe of the work that EMIN did and all foster carers do. I am was heartbroken to read that EMIN passed away and read to the end of this with tears streaming down my face. But someone else put it so well in saying that her love has been passed on to each of those 80 foster children and families around the UK and then on from there. What a fitting legacy that is. It is so important that incredibly generous foster families like EMIN family are encouraged and supported as no amount of target setting or obligatory training courses by government will make up for love and generosity passed along to the children under their care. All best wishes to EMIN DH and children and from all of us thank you.

RunLikeSomeFeckersChasing Tue 15-Apr-14 18:28:37

What an amazing woman EMIN was. Her voice was so vibrant and alive that even though I never met her I'm so deeply shocked and saddened by her death.

PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Mon 14-Apr-14 19:43:59

Another one who stumbled upon this thread not realising the outcome. So very sad and heartwarming at the same time.

BalloonSlayer Mon 14-Apr-14 18:40:04

I have only just read this thread - what a wonderful woman. I wish I had known her.

EmilyCokayne Mon 07-Apr-14 15:13:05

This thread has had me giggling and sobbing, EMIN, you were an amazing woman and my heart goes out to your family and friends who must miss you with every heartbeat.

x

TheHappyMonkey Mon 07-Apr-14 13:04:27

EMIN I have never met you but I will never forget you. You changed peoples lives, thats amazing. I hope you are somewhere happy xxx

Indith Sun 06-Apr-14 21:17:52

thanks

Caught this thread in active convos. Cried so much at both the start and the end of this thread as it unfolded at the time. I often think of EMIN, I have come into contact with some of the things she dealt with and her wise words have guided me. I hope her family is well x

PurplePidjin Sun 06-Apr-14 21:14:14

Thank you for this thread.

I hope it stands as testament to EMIN and the wonderful things she achieved. One of ds's little buddies has been adopted after a similar start in life. I had absolutely no understanding of the process, nor of what my friend (the adoptive mother) has had to go through in order to get her gorgeous son, and this thread has really helped my understanding. I hope that 4 years on I can use it to show my friend and her ds the respect they deserve

thanks

Hogwash Thu 13-Mar-14 10:21:55

What a harrowing thread. RIP Emin.

Silver15 Sat 01-Mar-14 23:57:47

Amazing Woman. This thread could make a beautiful movie. RIP Emin

VelmaD Tue 11-Feb-14 21:08:36

This is why this deserved to be in classics. Its just come up in my active conversations and I've read it for the first time ever. And cried and cried - the love EMIN and her DH had for those families, the letters those babies will open in 15 years showing her care and love, and the whole story. RIP EMIN, and thank you for sharing your story all those years ago

AllThatGlistens Tue 11-Feb-14 20:31:17

I remember following this when it was originally posted, and stumbled across it again just now. It's devastating, what happened.

EMIN was such an inspiration, her compassion, love and utter devotion to her babies shone through time and time again.

She's left behind an incredible legacy, and will always be remembered as a woman who did so, so much good for utterly defenceless, vulnerable children.

Sleep tight and God bless flowers

Astarael Tue 21-Jan-14 23:51:08

What a remarkable woman.

Rest in peace x

TheBigJessie Sat 18-Jan-14 00:56:54

EMIN was a wonderful woman. Reading this thread has brought me to tears. I cannot imagine the grief of her family and friends who had the privilege to know her in real life.

flowers

omuwalamulungi Mon 25-Nov-13 19:28:24

Just read the whole thread start to finish. After the first mention of cancer and given the age of the thread, almost like in a book, I knew what the ending would be. What an utterly wonderful woman she was.

Chippednailvarnish Mon 25-Nov-13 00:12:07

A very sad conclusion to a heartwarming thread.

RIP EMIN

dobedobedo Wed 20-Nov-13 19:38:49

I've just seen this thread for the first time and read it all. Amazing and heartbreaking, I can't stop crying.
RIP EMIN. What a remarkable woman.

I stumbled across this thread in Classics and read it start to finish with no idea of the outcome.

What an incredible woman who touched so many. I've sobbed through from almost the very start. I hope that someone shows LO this thread when she is older and she knows what fantastic foster parents she had, and how much joy she brought them.

McPie Sun 17-Nov-13 00:23:45

Such a truly utterly, remarkable, amazing, caring woman!
I am blubbing away here at what you had done for that poor defenceless child who has had the best start in life thanks to the hard work of you and your family and then I get to the part that you are no longer with us, well the dam has broken sad.
The world needs more people like you and your family as long as there are feckless/drug adicted parents who don't take precations!
My dear friend fosters short term babies, one she had fron 5 days old and adopted and is now 6, and couldn't be a more wonderful child for it, he has ADAH and works so hard at school, one was with her from 3 months and was adopted at 3 to an amazing mother and this little one has been with her since 6 days old and will be 2 next month and still in limbo sad.

M0naLisa Sun 10-Nov-13 21:44:11

Read this thread a while back and commented. EMIN was a truly remarkable woman who gave love to all her LAC.

Rest in peace love and cuddles xxxx

OnIlkelyMoorBahtat Wed 30-Oct-13 22:03:21

I too have just stumbled across this thread and read it from start to finish and was awed and humbled by EMIN and the obvious love that simply shone out of her. RIP and condolences to her family.

something2say Tue 29-Oct-13 09:32:16

As the child of an abusive mother who regularly screamed that she hated me and wished I had never been born and why don't I fuck off etc, I would like to say that I wished I had been fostered by someone like earth mother. It seems the total opposite of what I had to live with. I wish I had been taken away. In fact one of the best moments for me came when I silenced my family by telling them I didn't believe they had ever loved or liked me, based on their treatment, and wished I had been taken away. To read about this wonderful mother figure to so many children has been heart warming and I hope you are resting in peace somewhere earth mother.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now