drug dependant baby, advice needed

(524 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

I've been asked to foster a baby expected to be suffering drug withdrawal when it is born next week.

It is years since I've cared for one of these and any advice would be most gratefully received.

D0G Tue 16-Mar-10 07:55:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Will do DOG smile but what is this thing called "sleep" please, never heard of it wink

D0G Tue 16-Mar-10 08:27:56

Shaz10 Tue 16-Mar-10 08:31:53

This thread is making me cry and smile at the same time. Those poor babies that need your help and you wonderful, wonderful people that look after them. I'd love to give you all big hugs.

Hi all, baby has been extremely unsettled, longest sleep until this morning was 15 minutes.
In the early hours she finally slept for just over an hour, I can't tell you what a blessed relief we had for a short while.

The midwife was concerned enough to contact SCBU who arranged for her consultant to ring me.

He feels if I'm ok to continue he'd rather not up her dose as she is feeding well, if slowly, and taking her meds ok.

I've got his number and that of SCBU in case she gets any worse. apparently she was becoming quite settled in hospital so it may just be the change of scene.

I feel so sorry for her, she must be knackered poor mite.

CMOTdibbler Wed 17-Mar-10 15:21:43

Oh bless. Does swaddling her quite firmly help ? I understand that the babies can be quite jittery, so that might help

She is swaddled CMOT, but what seems to help more than anything is being held really close with her head under my chin, if that makes sense, seems to calm her, albeit briefly.

I am finding myself quietly making ssh ssh noises at the same time, no idea if that helps but there you gosmile

Valpollicella Wed 17-Mar-10 15:56:29

She can probably hear your heartbeat quite well in that position which may be soothing her smile

YoginiBikini Wed 17-Mar-10 15:58:14

You sound like you're doing so well. I worked in SCBU/NICU and always had a special love for addicted/withdrawing babies. They are very special. You are also very special to be looking after her so well. I admire you and your love -and patience!

That may well be it Valpoll, as long as it works I'm happy to do it. Strangely I've tried demonstrating this to DH but she doesn't calm as easily for him.

Thank you Yogi, did your workplace advocate swaddling by the way?

YoginiBikini Wed 17-Mar-10 16:11:38

Absolutely swaddling and as much skin to skin as possible. You sound like you're doing so well

hifi Wed 17-Mar-10 18:11:48

she will probably start to scratch herself frantically soon so have some gloves ready.good luck.

lljkk Wed 17-Mar-10 18:15:42

You are doing something lovely, EarthMother .
My aunt looked after babies in withdrawel, I can't remember all the things she said about them, alas.

Earthmother you are incredible. I wish I had an ounce of your strength and courage. Good luck and give that mite a big cuddle from me.

D0G Wed 17-Mar-10 18:34:52

mloo Wed 17-Mar-10 18:38:39

I seem to recall that being very unsettled is normal for crack (etc.) babies.
Thank Heaves for people like you, EarthMother.

Good morning (huh) all.

After quite a peaceful evening lo has had a bad night. She seems to settle then startle herself awake.

I feel like death warmed up now and I've had a couple of hours sleepshock Dh has just gone to bed for his break.

She is tucked up in my dressing gown with her little head under my chin, this is definately her favourite place.

Still 2 hours before her next meds are due!

D0G Thu 18-Mar-10 06:55:10

Hi DOG, I have one of those swings but she doesn't seem impressedsad

Her sw was meant to visit yesterday but had to cancel. She asked if she could "pop in" on her way to work this morning.

She turned up at 7.45am shock I was less than pleased I can tell you.

Health visitor just been out to weigh lo,

woo hoo 5lbs 2ozs.

Poor baby not even on the centile chart yet thoughsad

D0G Thu 18-Mar-10 16:28:43

Well given that I'd been up since 4am I wasn't cooking her eggs n bacon thats for sure.

Baby has had a couple of really good spells this afternoon, not screaming and looking curiously around the room and at my face.

Dh wanted to know why my eyes were full, told him its cos it's the first time I've seen her with her eyes opensmilesad

bumpybecky Thu 18-Mar-10 17:06:48

awww what a wonderful, wonderful person you are EarthMother. Hope you have a better night tonight

purepurple Thu 18-Mar-10 17:10:09

What a fantastic thing you are doing, Earthmother. I am in complete awe of you. I have tears in my eyes reading this thread.

wannaBe Thu 18-Mar-10 17:15:43

emim, did you used to be flower35? or are you someone different? <nosy>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now