drug dependant baby, advice needed

(571 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

I've been asked to foster a baby expected to be suffering drug withdrawal when it is born next week.

It is years since I've cared for one of these and any advice would be most gratefully received.

LordAlconleighsEntrenchingTool Sun 20-Nov-11 18:09:13

I read on another thread that EMIN was diagnosed with cancer in the summer - I didn't know if anyone on this thread had heard if she is OK.

BusterTheDonk Sun 20-Nov-11 20:44:39

Yes.. sadly.. she has been diagnosed with breast cancer..

keep in touch with her on this thread - we are just waiting to hear the latest from her...

smile

PigeonStreet Tue 31-Jan-12 13:13:57

PigeonStreet Tue 10-Jul-12 16:15:35

smile I'm still lurking away heresmile Doing ok too grin

MuchBrighterNow Mon 14-Jan-13 06:52:32

Just read this thread.. thanks for sharing EMIN What a joyous , hopeful , loving start in life you gave to lo, It makes the world feel like a better place x

OP you are amazing, truely amazing, I've just read this thread from start to finish and wow.
You are a true inspiration

WeAreEternal Mon 14-Jan-13 07:35:19

It's a lovely story, but a big zombie thread.

kiwigirl42 Mon 14-Jan-13 09:41:12

may be a zombie thread but what a thread. I have SO much admiration for you who foster. You are amazing, compassionate people.
I was doing OK until I got to 'Good bye Ladybird' and then I bawled.
I'm glad you are doing OK EMIN.

ThePathanKhansWitch Mon 14-Jan-13 11:29:53

Don,t care if it,s a zombie or not, what a brilliant, heart warming account.

In absolute awe of EMIN and her dh. Do hope EMIN health is better.

ForFoxsGlacierMints Mon 14-Jan-13 12:09:04

Another who has read from start to finish today - inspirational!

M0naLisa Mon 14-Jan-13 16:30:44

I read this thread start to finish this morning and wow what a woman EMIN and others are. An inspiration to many. You are the ones who look after the unwanted and poorly neglected children. There
Isn't enough praise in the world for the job you do xx

DancingInTheMoonlight Mon 14-Jan-13 16:40:48

'Wearing' her will be the best thing as it will soothe her and develop her attachments. Not sure she will meet the size requirements for a sling yet tho...

Hello all, sorry had some health issues which have taken precedence for a while. Thank you for all your kind comments.

Can I please ask though (ignorant numpty emoticon) what on earth is a "zombie thread"

roadkillbunny Sat 26-Jan-13 17:01:51

A zombie thread is one that returns from the dead (old thread that has been inactive for a long time)

goshua Mon 04-Feb-13 00:20:30

Hi been fostering 37 years, have had simular babys, one comes too mind same
wieght 2.2lbs. she also had Foetal Alcohol Syndrome was wrongly diagnosed
be open minded., Ours had multiple problems but with good early intervention's is now age 24 drives a car, has a full time job.
Some drug use baby's voise's are effected speak squeek'y, not good for a boy,girls can get away with it.

MrsBW Sun 10-Feb-13 12:06:08

EMIN - just read this from start to finish as DH and I are just starting out on the road to adoption and I wanted to try to begin to understand the sorts of problems LAC face.

I am just utterly, absolutely in awe of you and your husband.

I hope you are on the road to recovery very soon.

lovesmileandlaugh Sun 10-Feb-13 17:43:17

I have finally sat and read this thread through. We are on the journey through assessment to become foster carers, and this thread made me realise just how much I want to do this.
EMIN, your account is just heartwarming, yet heartbreaking, but with such positivity and love. You are inspirational and I hope that I meet people like you along this journey.
I wish you love and strength for your breast cancer recovery.
With much love xxx

Hi all smile I occasionally trawl the old threads and came upon this one that seemed to interest a lot of people, well, here's a funny thing (ok not ha ha funny but more like weird)

Now this may ramble a bit, bear with me please: As some of you will remember I left fostering a while back and I've had multiple health issues along the way since then, the latest being severe osteo-arthritis. This has become more and more painful and I am currently at a stage where I move as little as possible because it hurts so much. It is driving me mad not being able to get around even in my own home and while my GP has tried all manner of pain-killers none of them are working well enough to enable me to do even simple stuff like make toastsad

Yesterday my lovely GP sent the practice nurse out to take some bloods and we got chatting about what they could try me on next.
Now this is where it gets weirdwink The nurse suddenly said "we could give this a try, you probably won't have heard of this, its a drug called "Oramorph"

Dh and I began to giggle, gently giggle on my part but giggle all the samegrin

We sat with her for half an hour telling her all about our tiny drug withdrawing lo and the terrors the drug had given uswink Lo and behold I'm now carefully measuring the stuff out for me. Thank goodness I don't have to take mine through a bottle teatwink

dearcathyandclare Wed 03-Apr-13 21:08:11

Hi EMIN,
I came across this thread by accident ages ago and like many others was truly moved by your account of fostering. I hope you are doing OK and that the oramorph is helping.
Have you contacted your local adult social care team for an assessment of your needs? Perhaps you could benefit from basic equipment or perhaps some tender loving care in your own right?
best wishes x

Letitsnow9 Sun 07-Apr-13 00:06:36

Does anyone else think earth mother should be nominated for a pride of Britain award?

DoctorAnge Sun 07-Apr-13 13:51:07

EMIN what a Woman you are.

Hi everyone, I have just had a month in hospital because my breast cancer has been diagnosed as bone cancer nowsad They gave me more radio therapy followed by an operation (see Tamoxifen thread over the last few days) to place a pin in my leg from hip to knee in an attempt to get me mobile again.

It has been a difficult time and I am on so many drugs I rattle. However I have found help from so many people including some of our lovely families who adopted little ones from us, I am not down-hearted, indeed life seems very precious right now.

There seems to be a lot of threads about cares wanting to leave fostering at the moment, this is sad, but totally understandable given how much SS undervalues them.

I wouldn't have missed our time fostering even given how it ended. We made some fantastic friends and best of all cared for so many lovely babies. Memories that we will have always.

Thank you all for your lovely comments through the last few months and indeed years.flowers

lovesmileandlaugh Thu 02-May-13 21:17:32

Emin, I'm so sorry to hear this! Wishing you love, thank you again for sharing your support!

HolyFocaccia Thu 02-May-13 21:48:53

Emin you are a beautiful person, you really are. This thread has made me so emotional.

Sending you strength and a big un MNetty hug as well xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now