A plate has fallen down the back of the loo - how can I get it out?

(452 Posts)
ahundredtimes Tue 28-Oct-08 17:26:55

And not just any plate - this is a plate painted by ME for dd's hair bands! I did it when she was painting a mug for dh- the man was so impressed he put it in the window. [preen]

It's annoying.

Now the cistern of the loo is built into a tongue and groove type wall affair, and can only be accessed from the top. The plate has fallen down, below the cistern, onto the floor below.

I can't reach it, nobody can reach it.

Any ideas?

ahundredtimes Tue 28-Oct-08 20:07:52

Oh and Rusty it is sort of decorative this plate you see [works through] and had pictures of hair bobbles on it, and then I wrote on it

HAIR BANDS HERE.

[collapses in grief]

Cauldronfrau Tue 28-Oct-08 20:08:23

I have a very handy small shelf in by my side of the bed that I keep my scrunchies on. It will now for ever be known as the Booble Shelf. in honour of this thread.

PsychoAxeMurdererMum Tue 28-Oct-08 20:08:45

you do realise that all of us will now also need plates for bobbles in our bathrooms!

grin

RustyDaviesBear Tue 28-Oct-08 20:08:45

Actually I used to keep DD's bobbles on a wooden kitchen roll pole.
If that had fallen down the back of the loo it would have stuck up enough for me to reach it.

Oddly enough, it never did....

Saturn74 Tue 28-Oct-08 20:08:52

"Dh has just held me by my shoulders and said in a firm, determined yet kindly way 'I will get this out for you tonight, I promise. I just can't do it now. Okay?'"
gringringrin

JustKeepScreamingInFear Tue 28-Oct-08 20:09:43

I had my hair cut too short for hairbands a few weeks ago, my boobles are unloved, unneeded, unwanted & they don't even have a plate <sob for my boobles>

i CANNOT wait until tomorrow!! grin

IllegallyBrunette Tue 28-Oct-08 20:09:57

I have never thought of having a bobble plate.

Ours are supposed to go in a tub in a drawer in my room, but obviously they are never actually in there as they are normally threaded onto the dd's bed posts.

BroccoliSpears Tue 28-Oct-08 20:09:58

I think you kinow what you need to do. Divorce him and marry a longer, thinner husband.

PsychoAxeMurdererMum Tue 28-Oct-08 20:10:19

except for me of course.

I have three baskets of bobbles on shelves in my bedroom.

and they are not small baskets either!!

<<I think I have too many bobbleshmmblush>>

JustKeepScreamingInFear Tue 28-Oct-08 20:11:22

I don't think the soon-to-be-rescued booble plate should live above the loo for future reference....
Boobles & their plate will have to find a new home.

snigger Tue 28-Oct-08 20:11:34

Can't you just shave your kids ?

MatNanPlus Tue 28-Oct-08 20:11:42

Surprising that Rusty grin wink

MatNanPlus Tue 28-Oct-08 20:13:50

But JKSIF it is because the top had been reoved due to malfuncyioning cistern so normally i believe empty bobble plate is safe.

LostProphet Tue 28-Oct-08 20:14:51

the plate sounds beautiful - we need a picture when it is out

ahundredtimes Tue 28-Oct-08 20:15:32

LOL. I have just walked past downstairs loo [crime scene] and saw dd's head sticking out the top of the bit behind the loo.

I said 'I don't think you can fit' and she said 'this is important' and I said 'yes, but you are going to get stuck'.

I am touched by her concern, and take back what I said about her being stroppy about being lowered down the hole. Also I think I might need to downplay this tragedy here blush

LostProphet Tue 28-Oct-08 20:15:51

I have a quality street tin (and a couple of other pots), and I only have one girl, and her hair is a short bob <rivals with Psycho for too many hairbands status>

LostProphet Tue 28-Oct-08 20:16:27

pmsl @ your DD!

snigger Tue 28-Oct-08 20:17:39

Shave her. I mean it. Shave her.

It's the only option left.

PsychoAxeMurdererMum Tue 28-Oct-08 20:17:40

ooh....I forgot the 'bun box', and the tub on the top shelf, and the tubs in each of the girls rooms...

<<bumping up rivalry status>>wink

covertmission Tue 28-Oct-08 20:17:49

I have just eaten dinner way too fast to get back to the booble plate crisis situation.

VERY exciting updates re plate on bag, although like Rusty I do have a cold nagging fear that a 'towering inferno finger slippage' scenario is going to occur.

Doesn't 100x's DH sound strong and capable? I am warming to him greatly.

JustKeepScreamingInFear Tue 28-Oct-08 20:18:44

Aha, MNP - missed that. Then DH must really get handle repaired/repair it himself soon, see it was his fault all along....grin
Lol at your dd, hope she doesn't get stuc too, or you really will be calling the fire brigade!

pamplemousse Tue 28-Oct-08 20:20:13

PMSL at this thread, I do hope the boobles have helped the plate feel more loved in its lonely place down the back of the loo. I had popcorn and everything, seriously, but then dd had to go to bed so missed the high drama around the bag stage.
Good luck 100x

IAteDavinaForDinner Tue 28-Oct-08 20:20:54

DP and I have been scrutinising the picture of your toilet and his suggestion is to wodge up a bit of duck tape and stick it to the end of a broom handle, so you've got a sort of sticky plungery thing. Then poke it down until it reaches the plate, make sure the plate is stuck and lift it out.

I am still certain that with suitable carrot/stick action you could get a child down there though.

covertmission Tue 28-Oct-08 20:21:38

In 70's disaster movies a small child always get's stuck. Frequently the strong capable male (No2) goes in and gets squished/burnt/swept away.

Strong capable male (No1) shouts "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO you brave brave fool".

I'm hoping there is a ready supply of such persons in your house 100.

JustKeepScreamingInFear Tue 28-Oct-08 20:25:06

Doesn't the pet always 'get it' in the 70's films too? Probably best that 100x didn't go for the guinea pig/chicken idea then.

(they do seem to let the pets live in more modern disaster films, prob H&S got involved)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now