OMG .. Jon Ronson's speaking voice ..

(552 Posts)
Twiglett Sat 20-Jan-07 16:45:38

NOT what I imagined at all

just seen a strange ad on More4 with him in it

he sounds so drippy

oh gawd I'm not going to enjoy his columns any more now, cos I'll hear the weedy crappy voice

TheMoistWorldOfSeptimusQuench Tue 17-Jul-07 22:51:01

Snaf - he is tall. And generally big & hairy.

If it makes you feel any better, I got drunk & told him I had a crush on him. What a prat

Aitch Tue 17-Jul-07 22:50:01

actually, Bryan Brown wasn't in the one i was thinking of. All The Rivers Run, it was called. i'm getting confused with 'Against the wind'...
does anyone remember either of them? i love an aussie mini series. ch4 daytime simmer holidays... brilliant.

Pruners Tue 17-Jul-07 22:44:42

Message withdrawn

Pruners Tue 17-Jul-07 22:43:54

Message withdrawn

Aitch Tue 17-Jul-07 22:43:14

me too, ruty and pruni. it's hard to beleive now but i thought he was amazing. and bryan brown in some australian mini-series about people on boats i think... what was that called? <goes off to google>

Pruners Tue 17-Jul-07 22:42:07

Message withdrawn

ruty Tue 17-Jul-07 22:39:15

LOL at Richard Chamberlain. ah Thornbirds. the first awakening of something fluttery in the belly...[if you look at it now it looks so terrible.]

ruty Tue 17-Jul-07 22:37:55

Re AR - I think there are quite a few 'older' male actors who can do the equivalent of a prima donna thing to make their authority felt. He is a good actor though [find the voice a little bit irritating]

Snaf Tue 17-Jul-07 22:37:36

He's tall, as well, iirc. Although I may have been crouching at the time.

(Wonders whether it's strange to be openly lusting after another MNer's ex?)

ruty Tue 17-Jul-07 22:36:36

i know what happened to her but I can't tell.
Oh, ok, my dh worked with her in Prague in a dodgy HBO thing. she was very nice by all acounts, but there are some things I can't say which are quite funny. Sorry.

Pruners Tue 17-Jul-07 22:35:42

Message withdrawn

Pruners Tue 17-Jul-07 22:34:28

Message withdrawn

Snaf Tue 17-Jul-07 22:33:46

The Leith-love is slightly weird, I admit. But I do like intense, over-intellectualising men with beautiful hands (cf. scampadoodle ).

Plus, he came into my bookshop once and sort of swept through Hardback Fiction in a long black coat and I just thought 'mmmm, dreamy...'

Aitch Tue 17-Jul-07 22:31:08

that's probably why he was good in Close My Eyes, no long passages of script, just 'i must have you NOW' and some rough manhandling of his big sister.

BocoBeak Tue 17-Jul-07 22:27:30

But you can see his eyes moving slowly across the autocue as he droningly reads the script.

William Leith? - what are you lot on about? Do you really think he's sexy? He's all pungey and curly, i don't understand.

Disappointed about AR, that's what i was saying about not wanting to know anything about famous people i like - always a let down.

Do you think anymore angry wives will come yell at us for being institutionalised bitches? Oh Elaine, don't be cross, i love jon. Not in a sexual way.

Pruners Tue 17-Jul-07 22:20:00

Message withdrawn

Pruners Tue 17-Jul-07 22:18:28

Message withdrawn

ruty Tue 17-Jul-07 22:16:50

It is just his style Pruni, it is a wooden style that is all.
He was quite good in Close My Eyes. So was Saskia. Very sexy film. But downhill from there IMO. I saw him at the Donmar in Design For Living - he was actually better than on screen.

Julia Roberts was very good in Erin Brockovitch.

TheMoistWorldOfSeptimusQuench Tue 17-Jul-07 22:16:30

Ooh is scampdoodle still here? I know WL too (although not in the sense that you, er, "knew" him) Mmm, lovely hands

Aitch Tue 17-Jul-07 22:15:55

oooh really? <awaits further explanation>

Pruners Tue 17-Jul-07 22:15:02

Message withdrawn

BocoBeak Tue 17-Jul-07 22:14:13

Alan Rickman is very good in every way though.

Aitch Tue 17-Jul-07 22:13:32

i just think he's one-note, that's all pruni. but it was preeeeeecisely the right note for Close My Eyes. didn't liek children of god... silly.

Aitch Tue 17-Jul-07 22:12:19

he's awful, isn't he? but there is something in his drawl, even as the blooming sheriff of nottingham. <brings subject back to k costner somehow>

Pruners Tue 17-Jul-07 22:12:02

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now