Have you ever met a stranger, who you never saw again, that you still think about?

(265 Posts)
Backinthe1960s Fri 24-Jul-15 17:57:08

It was at my local stamp club. We didn't get many new members turning up so when one did we all to used to make a big effort to make them feel welcome. It was the night of our annual quiz and he and I were in the same team. He seemed a really nice bloke with a vast knowledge of stamps and postal history and I thought he would be a good recruit for the club. Afterwards we went for a quick drink at the local pub, he paid for a drink for the two of us, then he went off towards the gents toilet.

I never saw him again and he never came back to the stamp club. For ages I wondered what happened to him.

Preciousbane Fri 24-Jul-15 18:05:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SunHighInTheSky Fri 24-Jul-15 18:11:53

I shared a table 25 years ago in a crowded cafe in a NAmerican ski resort with a young Swedish chap with dark hair and the brightest blue eyes.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 24-Jul-15 18:12:59

I didn't meet him, but I was eating in a restaurant with my boyfriend (now Dh) and an older man was also a customer eating with his girlfriend/wife/possibly daughter on the next table. I was aware of him when he arrived, and thoughout the whole meal. I was about 30, he must have been about 60. I have never known such attraction before or since (about 20 years ago). I still feel a bit rocked by the attraction I had towards him. Weird.

midnightvelvetPart2 Fri 24-Jul-15 18:14:34

I have a couple:

I was on a train in the early 2000's, I had my first mobile phone it was a Nokia 702 as I worked for Orange & it was a time when not everyone had a mobile phone. A lady on the train asked to borrow it to call her son to tell him something, I let her & she started shouting into the phone in a foreign language, one of the African languages I think as she was wearing a big flowery turban & robe. Everyone turned round to look & I was surprised as she had spoken to me normally. Then she thanked me & I got off. She sounded upset about something, I hope it turned out OK whatever it was.

I was at Uni in London in the Nineties & was on the tube one night when I noticed that a mid twenties guy with a big square bag covering his abdomen was looking at me. And I mean staring really intently, I was quite uncomfortable. When he got off I stood up at the next stop & glanced down before I grabbed the handrail & there was a load of cum on it. He had stared & me whilst having a fucking wank onto the rail. but was hidden by his bag. I was shock

SoleBizzzz Fri 24-Jul-15 18:19:17

Yes. I got on the tube in London for the very first time in 1998 with my suitcases as I was about to start a new job. Just arrived from Birmingham and I must have looked out of my depth. A very nicely dressed, absolute hunk of a man looked straight into my eyes and gave me the mist warm smile. He must have sensed I was new from my body language. I wonder who he was etc.

PetiteBateau Fri 24-Jul-15 18:48:41

Oh my God midnightvelvet!!!!

Nishky Fri 24-Jul-15 18:55:12

I was on a train- I was mid-20's - and was chatting to a man in his 70's whose wife had recently died. He was travelling to see his children and grandchildren and it was the first time he had done the journey alone. He was tearful and we talked about his wife and his family.

Then the fucking self-absorbed woman sitting opposite us joined in the conversation and talked about herself for the rest of the journey. I remember feeling really uncomfortable as it seemed to me he wanted to talk.

He waved and smiled as he got off the train.

Allbymyselfagain Fri 24-Jul-15 18:56:46

Yes with the exception i know his name. Met him in starbucks and offered him a seat at my table as it was busy and his leg was in plaster. We chatted for a bit, seemed to get on really well. He asked for my number, text me to make sure I had his and then said he'd call me. Never heard from him again. I felt so relaxed and close to him after that one chat. I often wonder why he didn't call

hesterton Fri 24-Jul-15 18:56:46

I was 20, crying in the tube on the journey back from my hospital finals because I'd left my handbag on the platform that morning with my maternity booking notes in it. It just all felt too much by the evening. An older woman came over and touched my arm gently and quietly told me that everything would be ok. Then she got off the train. I've never forgotten her because of her kindness.

Fairyliz Fri 24-Jul-15 18:59:11

I was 15 and on holiday with my parents. On the last day we had about 20 mins before the bus arrived to take us to the airport, so I went for a wander around the hotel.
I walked around a corner and bumped into an english boy and felt such a wonderful feeling when I looked at him and he stared into my eyes. We spoke for a few minutes and then I had to go.
I still think about it and that was 40 years ago!

judgelionelnutmeg Fri 24-Jul-15 19:03:58

Yes. Some years ago in a pub/bar in Barcelona. I was there with a few friends and got talking to a pair of brothers from Scotland. I was getting on like a house on fire with the older of the two and found him absolutely stunning both in looks and personality.

Sadly my miniscule bladder let me down and I had to excuse myself to go to the loo. When I got back he was talking to some other people including some other girls he obviously knew and I didn't have the confidence to go back over to him. And I don't think the sense of attraction was mutual as he didn't bother coming back over to talk to me for the rest of the evening sad

I've never met anyone I found so instantly attractive before or since.

Ishtar2410 Fri 24-Jul-15 19:06:24

Didn't meet, but spoke with someone on the phone for over 4 hours when I was a volunteer with the Samaritans. I won't go into detail, but his was a very sad story - I feel privileged to have had the opportunity to speak with him.

It was over 15 years ago and don't think I will ever forget.

CarcerDun Fri 24-Jul-15 19:09:04

I once booked a seat on a train for a long (3hr) journey. Sat down and was joined at the next stop by a guy about my age. We chatted for the whole journey about everything and anything (including our other halves). It was like spending three hours with one of your oldest friends. We waved goodbye at the final station.

PuddingandPie1 Fri 24-Jul-15 19:13:02

Mine was in a hotel on Skye. It was the last day of our holiday and we were eating breakfast. It was one those places where all the guests sit round a single large table to eat so when a young (i.e. early 20s) couple came in they ended up sitting near us. They were so nice and so obviously in love that it was lovely chatting to them. After about 20 minutes we parted and of course we never saw them again.

I do hope that they had a happy life together. smile

LovelySpread Fri 24-Jul-15 19:17:46

Yes. About fifteen years ago I was living in a very small town working in a training centre doing admin. It was near some very large companies and occasionally bigwigs visiting them would come in needing secretarial type services. I was working in reception, very overqualified but there weren't many jobs about.

A very posh chap came in, he needed some stuff typing up that was very confidential and I did it for him and chatted a bit. I remember he lived in Cheyne Walk in Chelsea and I commented about it being a famous street.

I must have done a good job because he came back a few times and kept asking me "what on earth are you DOING here?" and telling me I should be in London. He was very posh and had piercing eyes and he held my wrist once and really stared at me.

i wish I could remember his name just so I could google him and find out who he was. He had huge presence and charisma. He didn't ask me out or anything like that but we sort of clicked. it gave me a much needed boost at the time to know that someone was really impressed by me.

expatinscotland Fri 24-Jul-15 19:18:39

Yes, loads of times. I even dream some strangers I have met only briefly.

CiderwithBuda Fri 24-Jul-15 19:23:10

I used to live overseas and met a really lovely lady who became a good friend although she was quite a few years older than me or our other friends. She was there with her asshole of a DH (he had cheated on her hence the asshole comment). Her children were all early to mid twenties and back in her home country. She often used to say I would be perfect for her eldest son and she wished he could meet me. I was with DH then althgh we weren't married so it was just general chit chat really. Anyway fast forward a few years and DH and I had moved back to UK and gotten married and she was ill for a while and sadly died. We moved overseas again and went back to original country to see some friends and in a bar one night I kept catching the eye of a guy. Every time I looked he was staring at me. And vice versa! It was really weird. Felt like I should know him. Went to a birthday lunch for a friend next day and there he was. He was my old friend's eldest DS. We were introduced and talked for quite a while about his mum. Neither of us mentioned the night before!

Another time I flew back from Asia to Europe and was sitting next to a guy in business class in th good old days when KLM business class was same price as BA economy. We got chatting for some reason and ended up talking for he whole flight drinking gin and tonics. I wasn't sure if I was going back to Asia to now DH as we were not getting on. The guy had been through a horrific experience the year before in Paris - went into an underground car park and came across a girl being gang raped. He tried to intervene and got the shit kicked out of him and basically left for dead. He was travelling back for the court case. The girl was denying anything had happened as it was gang related or something. I often wonder what happened. I've never opened up to any stranger so much.

manchestermummy Fri 24-Jul-15 19:32:11

Yes.

Three years ago I was in hospital with DD2 and got chatting to a mum whose son was gravely ill with Kawasaki Disease. He'd been touch and go but was slowly recovering.

I tried to say all the best to them both when we were discharged but didn't manage to. The mum had recently been diagnosed with fibromyalgia; they were having a rough time.

If you're reading this, I hope your son R recovered.

ComtesseDeSpair Fri 24-Jul-15 19:35:32

When I was in my first year of uni in London, I lived in halls in central London. I didn't have many friends at the time, I hadn't gelled with the folk on my course or in my residence and so I didn't go out pubbing and clubbing like many students - but I loved being in London and adored just wandering the city at all hours, exploring it and seeing it in different lights and at angles.

One night I'd walked from my halls down to Barbican and across to St Paul's Cathedral. I'd stopped to rest on some steps in St Paul's Churchyard, and was sitting there smoking a cigarette and half-reading a book. There weren't many people about. It must have been gone midnight when a man, probably in his late 40s or early 50s, in a suit and slightly drunk, walked almost past me then stopped and asked if I was alright. I said that I was, that I was enjoying the evening and being in the city and here was as good a place as any. He sat down on the steps next to me and told me he loved just wandering London too, and we talked for at least 2 hours - about history, architecture, literature, politics, his job (he was a solicitor), my degree, everything. Eventually he said he'd need to be getting home and after making sure I was okay to get home myself he gave me an awkward hug and then, out of the blue said, "I'm not just a solicitor, I'm a ghostwriter too, you know. From our conversation, you've probably read some of my books. If you work out who I am, get in touch - I'd really like that."

I have no idea who he was or what is name was or where he was going or where he is now. I've occasionally in the more than a decade since racked my brains for clues from the stuff we talked about which might hint at his books and thus who he was. I still have no idea and I never will. He also still pops into my head from time to time. I was a young, slim, pretty thing back then, and probably pretty emotionally vulnerable too - but he didn't sit down to talk to me because he wanted to try anything on or because he thought he could take advantage of me (even the hug as we parted was completely non-gropey) by being nice but because, it would seem, he just wanted to talk about things he enjoyed with somebody likeminded, and it didn't matter that I was at least half his age and that we were sitting, in the dark, in the small hours of the morning, on some stone steps in a public courtyard.

BoomalakkaWee Fri 24-Jul-15 19:37:08

One quiet Sunday morning five or six years ago, I got chatting to and older woman with an Italian-sounding accent at a local bus stop.

She told me at length how she was convinced that the couple in the flat above hers were operating some kind of spy ring, and described all the things she'd seen that she considered evidence of it, e.g. they had a flat-screen TV in their living-room but it was pointed upwards towards the ceiling; the wife of the couple always seemed to be wearing headphones; they'd flash their living-room light randomly late at night and a few moments later a moped rider would draw up...

She wasn't keen to go to the police with her suspicions and I tried to persuade her to talk to her priest about it as it was causing her so much worry (she was waiting for a bus to church) but she said he was only interested in his golf and wouldn't take it seriously if she tried.

She actually told me the name of the block of flats where she lived, but a combination of her accent and random traffic noise drowned the address out, and her bus drew up before I could ask her to repeat it.

I still walk past that bus stop most Sunday mornings on trips to Tesco Express, hoping I might see her waiting there again and find out what became of the people upstairs from her, but I never have...

Wishful80sMontage Fri 24-Jul-15 19:39:56

Do you think you might have not given him your number correctly Allbymyself?!

I've got two-
A lady probably in her 60's running to the bus in town and fell over - really banged her face her glasses had cut into her head- I was first over trying to help (and very out of my depth) a couple driving past had seen what happened came over to help and took her to a and e- always wondered if she was ok not so much physically but it really shook her up and she was really embarrassed poor thing sad

Second one I didn't actually meet- would have been a couple years ago.
We were behind a little white car at the lights and I could see the guy in front in his rear view mirror and he was sobbing his heart out. He only looked about 18-20 but he looked absolutely heartbroken. Just after the next set of lights he pulled into a layby I wanted to go and check he was ok but oh said best to stay out of it- hope he was ok.

ExitStageLeft Fri 24-Jul-15 19:46:14

I think this is my favourite ever MN thread.

MimsyBorogroves Fri 24-Jul-15 19:49:46

When I was around 7, I had to spend the night in hospital for a minor operation and I was terrified. My parents had been told to leave me for a while so I could settle before coming back for night visiting, and an older boy took me down to the TV room and sat with me to watch Food and Drink. I have vague memories of my parents coming back and not having a clue where I was, which shows how lax they were with regard to our safety on the ward, really grin I don't remember much about him, but he made a really scary experience a lot less so.

My second one is just weird. On the Tube, reading. Long journey into work. Glanced up randomly at a bloke around my age who had just got on. Our eyes met briefly, and I was struck with a thunderbolt of "you're the One". I am the most cynical person in the world, but that nearly blew me away. I have no idea who he was, and he got off a few stops later. I spent years wishing I'd had the bravery to speak to him. I've also never spoken about that story before (and am now happily married to someone who really is the one, so it blatantly was a moment of madness...)

Rivercam Fri 24-Jul-15 19:49:55

I also have a tube tale.

I was a student returning home after a geography field trip abroad. I recall seeing a musician, carrying a guitar case. I just thought he looked so cool and carefree and I wanted to be part of his life. I never actually spoke to him, but still have that image in my head ( 25 years later).

Another time I spoke to someone on the phone a few times. He had the loveliest voice you could imagine. I still recall his name ( and have googled itblush -this was over 15 years ago.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now