What meal made your heart sink as a child

(689 Posts)
lemisscared Wed 05-Nov-14 17:29:23

For me i think it was mince and potatoes. The mince was from a tin ffs!! With tinned peas and carrots.

My mum used to make me eat this and i would gag and cry! Oh and fucking ready brek as i would get pneumonia if i didn't eat it - boak

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 05-Nov-14 17:31:11

Cod roe from a tin.

SenatusPopulusqueRomanorum Wed 05-Nov-14 17:31:42

Gratin de chou-fleur (cauliflower in white sauce with a little cheese on top).
I still hate white sauce. And there are exactly two recipes with cauliflower I can eat. I wasn't "throwing a tantrum", DM.

smallandimperfectlyformed Wed 05-Nov-14 17:32:11

Liver! Horrid, horrid dry liver and onions when my mum wanted to be nice to my Irish dad - luckily it was only ever about once a year or so (the meal, not her wanting to be nice to him!!) but I'm sure it's one of the main reasons I went vegetarian at 11 - still am 22 years later!

MehsMum Wed 05-Nov-14 17:32:33

Herrings. About a billion horrible little tiny bones. And sprouts.
Other than that, DM was a fabulous cook.

Bobbingalongnicelyalmost Wed 05-Nov-14 17:32:42

corned beef hash confused

Mintyy Wed 05-Nov-14 17:33:13

Spam fritters, mash made with smash and served from an icecream scoop, warm tinned tomatoes and not quite cooked peas - school dinners every other Monday. Gag!

TheCunkOfPhilomena Wed 05-Nov-14 17:33:23

Hot pot, with slightly undercooked sliced potatoes on the top. I would actually sob when told this was for dinner.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Wed 05-Nov-14 17:33:26

Cod poached in milk with boiled potatoes and cauliflower. sad

It was all white, and bland and it still makes me gag thinking about it now.

I don't know what my DM was thinking, she was and is an amazing cook!

Borka Wed 05-Nov-14 17:34:06

Gammon steak with white sauce, broad beans, boiled potatoes with grey bits.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Wed 05-Nov-14 17:34:15

Oh lord Mintyy that sounds grim!

FurryDogMother Wed 05-Nov-14 17:34:32

Bright yellow smoked haddock that used to come in a bag with a little pat of star-shaped butter. Vile.

LaurieFairyCake Wed 05-Nov-14 17:34:37

A shortcrust meat pie that cost 70p from a corner shop.

Every week on a Thursday between 3 of us - as my mums income support came in on a Friday

It was 15% 'meat'. It was the 80's so it was mostly gristle.

I gagged while eating it, worst food ever. Back then you had to have a meat/veg/potato so my mum thought she was doing her best.

She didn't realise that a baked potato and beans would have been cheaper and more desirable.

To make up for this heinous crime against tastebuds we had Arctic Roll on Fridays when she got her money grin

KatyMac Wed 05-Nov-14 17:34:43

Corned beef hash - with smash & sliced tomatoes on the top

educationrocks1 Wed 05-Nov-14 17:34:56

Kippers.
Rhubarb pie or prunes for afters.

Bogeyface Wed 05-Nov-14 17:35:31

Mince and potatoes here too.

Boiled potatoes, so even mashed to take the edge off. She cooked the mince in its gravy (no tinned stuff, which actually might have been preferable, at least it tastes of something!) so rather than put it on the plate she would put the mince all over the spuds and peas. Thanks to that I couldnt just scarf it down in a couple of big mouthfulls and get the worst over with, it was on fucking everything!

Still makes me shudder to think of it, and when the kids want cottage pie I have a jacket spud and cheese!

wol1968 Wed 05-Nov-14 17:35:45

Beef casserole. It was actually really nice tasting but I hated the way the meat got between my teeth. And this was before I'd discovered dental floss.

Catsmamma Wed 05-Nov-14 17:36:52

liver and onions....god almighty I have no idea what my mother did to it but it was like a welly boot. And she was and is a fabulous cook!

I actually like liver, but rarely have it as dh cannot even stand the smell. From my childhood I remember several stand offs over plates of welly boot liver and gloopy gelatinous gravy,

She stopped serving it after one horrible fall out, when i was served it twice to make the point that good food would not be wasted and I threw up.

smallandimperfectlyformed Wed 05-Nov-14 17:36:57

ooh FurryDogMother back when I ate fish I loved that particular one and used to love it with boiled potatoes and tinned garden peas - my poor mum used to get so cross that I loved such bland food and would barely eat anything else!

kerstina Wed 05-Nov-14 17:37:01

Liver yuk! Complete with vile tubules in it. Would not inflict that sort of thing on my DS no way !

Chandon Wed 05-Nov-14 17:37:02

this thread is making me feel hungry grin

The only food I dreaded as a child was sprouts.

DoAndroidsDream Wed 05-Nov-14 17:37:13

I hated gammon with a pineapple slice.

Cauliflower cheese should be in a cheese sauce with a bit on top that browns.

ishouldcocoa Wed 05-Nov-14 17:37:14

Anything with beetroot in it. Made all the rest of the food pink.
And vinegary.

rollonthesummer Wed 05-Nov-14 17:37:58

Shepherds pie-still hate it now!

kelda Wed 05-Nov-14 17:38:32

My mum's homemade cheese and potato pie.
Sorry mum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now