Things you used to think and now can't quite believe you did

(341 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

treaclesoda Wed 07-May-14 09:56:17

I saw a seagull flying and it suddenly occurred to me that when I was little, I thought there were two different types of seagulls. Ones with legs, and ones without. Naturally the ones with legs had no choice but to fly all the time grin

I was a pretty bright child, I can't imagine why I thought that.

Please tell me someone else out there thought the same?

GooseyLoosey Wed 07-May-14 10:00:29

Can't help with the seagulls, but when I was about 4 one of my goldfish died. My mother told me it had gone on its hols whilst she desperately searched for a similar one. I was about 30 when it struck me that that couldn't possibly be true. I am a city lawyer so one would have thought that I was fairly level headed and pretty bright, but apparently I am a gullible idiot.

treaclesoda Wed 07-May-14 10:02:53

that should have said that the ones without legs had to fly all the time.

The ones with legs could of course stop and have a bit of stand on their legs. grin

I thought wolves were fictional until embarassingly recently. I thought wolves were to dogs what unicorns are to horses.

ghostmous3 Wed 07-May-14 10:06:49

I used to believe there was a man that sits insides cash machines and pushes cash through the slot when you ask for it.

i believed that until i was 21. I have a degree and everything.

BuilderMammy Wed 07-May-14 10:38:54

I thought wolves were fictional until embarassingly recently. I thought wolves were to dogs what unicorns are to horses.
You think unicorns are fictional?!

grin

kinkymouse Wed 07-May-14 10:44:06

When I was small I must of been taking in the news on TV by osmosis and there was a mention of "jeans" causing cancer.

My DM tried for years to get me into C&A jeans, and eventually gave up telling everyone I was just a girly girl when in reality I was saving myself from a horrible disease. I was quite a bit older when it clicked that they meant genes.

RubberBulletKisses Wed 07-May-14 10:45:13

Of course unicorns are real.

LadyMacmuffintop Wed 07-May-14 10:50:58

I used to worry a lot that either God or Father Christmas must not be real because how could there be two omniscient beings? But if they both were real were they at war or in cahoots? A lot of angst every christmas over that one. Dinosaurs somehow came into the mix as possible fantasy creatures re: God. Of course now I know that dinosaurs and father christmas are real it's solved all my problems.

treaclesoda Wed 07-May-14 10:52:09

kinky my elderly dad was a child dfuring the war. He'd been told that germs give you the cold/sore throat/flu and he couldn't grasp how these wee tiny things that were so small you couldn't see them were able to fly planes and drop bombs on the UK.

EasterSundaySimmons Wed 07-May-14 10:53:32

As a small child there were news stories about Guerrilla warfare.

I actually thought that they had trained gorilla's to use machine guns and was most upset!

I think I got confused with Planet of the apes and the news stories!

MissHobart Wed 07-May-14 11:06:35

Yes yes to the guerrilla warfare! I just used to nod my head as if I understood that it was normal for gorillas to be fighting to protect the rainforest! grin

JustAboutAdeqeuate Wed 07-May-14 11:11:55

I used to get horribly confused by all the talk of fighting over the Gaza strip. This was around the time Gazza still played football, whilst wearing his team's strip... blush

grin at kinkys jeans

cecinestpasunepipe Wed 07-May-14 11:18:30

A child of the fifties, I had a similar mix-up between gets and Germans. More recently, (last week), I discovered the bookmakers Paddy Power was not a sort of Black Power, but for the Irish.shock

Blithereens Wed 07-May-14 11:20:37

I regularly have to chant to myself, 'narwhals are real, unicorns aren't, dinosaurs are real, dragons aren't, seahorses are real, winged horses aren't.'

(Big dragons I mean. Can get little ones obv.)

Nummer Wed 07-May-14 11:23:05

I used to think that petrol stations were built on top of oilfields. Makes sense if you ask me.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Wed 07-May-14 11:23:22

I used to think the song lyrics were "Popdom Beach, im in trouble deep" blush

Cadastre Wed 07-May-14 11:24:17

OMG cecinestpasunepipe ... that's fecking hilarious

Blithereens Wed 07-May-14 11:24:44

Think I sang, 'what's that coming over the hill, is it a boxcar? Is it a boxcar?' for ages blush

Blondiebrownie Wed 07-May-14 11:27:36

I used to believe everyone around me were actors and that I was the only one who was actually 'living life'.

Much like 'The Truman Show'.

My DM still laughs about some of the things that I had done to try to catch her out grin

I thought a cunt was a baby horse until I was into my teens

GertBySea Wed 07-May-14 11:29:36

I used to think that "unarmed combat" meant fighting without using your arms. So that would have been people fighting like that knight on Monty Python.

LadyMacmuffintop Wed 07-May-14 14:52:33

Blondie I used to think the same about people who went my church. I thought they were all there to trick me into saying I believed & when I did they would all have a good laugh at my expense. Bit cynical for a child! Or possibly some type of narcissistic personality disorder where I could genuinely suspect half a village would go out of their way to just trick me!!

ThatBloodyWoman Wed 07-May-14 14:54:45

That treacle came from mines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now